6x9's??

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2004 | 10:29 PM
Future Seminole

6x9's??

first and foremost, i know little to nothing about car stereo. i want to add some more bass out of my stock system without placing subs as i do use my trunk and enjoy the space back there. so i was wondering if by replacing the stock 6x9's in the back with new ones i could get some more power. i dont really want super loud bass, just louder than what ive got now. how many watts would i be looking for and stuff like that? what company should i go for? i dont really wanna spend that much money and am looking around 100 to 200 max. any input would help greatly
Old 01-22-2004 | 11:09 PM
Banned

Unless you're a do-it-yourselfer, take yourself over to Circuit City and tell them you want to upgrade your speakers. Do all four doors and the rear deck, and don't be cheap. I put Alpines in mine, but other people like Polk. Circuit City sells them both.
Old 01-23-2004 | 10:02 AM
Future Seminole

hey, thanx for the input, how much did you pay for your setup?? and how much better does it sound? does the bass sound better?
Old 01-25-2004 | 11:53 PM
Burning Brakes

id get these 6x9 subs. http://www.nuera-acoustic.ca/products.html

35 dollars. how can you beat that for quality speakers? im getting these for my 6x9s. upgrading the frontstages and unhooking the the rear 6.5s
Old 01-26-2004 | 12:31 AM
Burning Brakes

acuratsx03 - my suggestion to you if u want a nice clean HIGH quality sounding system is to do alil research. first off if you want a simply install and dont want to mess w/ some components w/ crossovers then i suggest the following system.

Focal Access 165CA
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=18799 - 97 dollars

2 TB 6x9 woofers - 70 dollars

Eclipse EA3422 AMP 150

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&category=4950

total is around 320 dollars. I know its alil over your budget you suggested but its totally worth it. Save alil and do it right the first time.

hook the focals and TBs to the amps and hook the 6.5 on the rear doors to the Head unit and fade them as you want. This system will totally rock and is much better than replacing all speakers and is probably less.

you can do alil research at www.caraudioforum.com or www.caraudio.com cheers!

also focal and elipse brand stuff are of really high quality.
Old 01-26-2004 | 11:42 AM
Team Owner

Re: 6x9's??

Originally posted by acuratsx03
first and foremost, i know little to nothing about car stereo. i want to add some more bass out of my stock system without placing subs as i do use my trunk and enjoy the space back there. so i was wondering if by replacing the stock 6x9's in the back with new ones i could get some more power. i dont really want super loud bass, just louder than what ive got now. how many watts would i be looking for and stuff like that? what company should i go for? i dont really wanna spend that much money and am looking around 100 to 200 max. any input would help greatly
Check out this thread: http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/show...threadid=5946. Alpine type-S seems to work well for a few people. Also, if you do a search on "speakers" you'll see many more threads. I seem to recall someone posting about using JBL 6x9s that also worked out nicely. I'm also looking to upgrade and I'll probably go with Alpine Type-S in the doors and in the back. Good Luck.
Old 01-26-2004 | 03:49 PM
Cruisin'

Re: Re: 6x9's??

Originally posted by jlukja
I seem to recall someone posting about using JBL 6x9s that also worked out nicely.
I have the JBL's...and they worked out GREAT! super improvement. If you have any questions, email me and I'd be happy to help out... dave2music@yahoo.com

dave2music
Old 01-26-2004 | 05:19 PM
Future Seminole

hey, thanx for the help... in fact i too upgraded to Alpine Type-S 6x9s, and soon enough ill do the 6.5's too
Old 01-26-2004 | 05:50 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

I'm no car audio expert at all but ...

I just want to point out that changing the speakers will not give you more bass or make things olouder. In fact in most cases it will make your system less loud, as the speakers need more power.

What the better speakers will give you is clearer, tighter, better sounding bass and sound.
Old 01-26-2004 | 06:31 PM
Team Owner

I'm no expert either. I think that the speaker sensitivity rating determined how loud a speaker is. The speakers that I've considered (Alpine type-s) have a 92db rating. Anyone know what the db rating of the stock speakers is? It was reported that the Alpines are not as loud (although much clearer) as the stock speakers. In fact, anyone know the model number of the stock speakers? I think they are Pioneer. It would be nice to compare the stock specs. to the specs. of the proposed replacement speakers.
Old 01-26-2004 | 09:06 PM
Future Seminole

yeah, the stock speakers are pioneers with a max power handling of 40 Watts... i think that in the future when i upgrade my door speakers i will probably add an amp to get more out of them... i did upgrade my 6x9s and the bass is much tighter and cleaner and has a stronger punch whereas the stock were just kinda muddy. i notice now with the stock doors they are kinda fuzzy and i wanna get them changed soon...
Old 01-26-2004 | 10:39 PM
TSX Bronco

I can vouch for the Focal speakers. I just had a set of 165CA's installed in my TSX for the fronts, along with a set of Alpine Type-S 6.5's for the rears (probably unneccessary, but hey) and a set of Alpine Type-S 6.x9's for the rear shelf.

The mids and highs are noticeably better now and the bass is cleaner by far over the stock speakers. Like many have mentioned though, I have to adjust the volume higher with the new speakers but it's well worth it.

Originally posted by tuan209
acuratsx03 - my suggestion to you if u want a nice clean HIGH quality sounding system is to do alil research. first off if you want a simply install and dont want to mess w/ some components w/ crossovers then i suggest the following system.

Focal Access 165CA
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=18799 - 97 dollars

2 TB 6x9 woofers - 70 dollars

Eclipse EA3422 AMP 150

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&category=4950

total is around 320 dollars. I know its alil over your budget you suggested but its totally worth it. Save alil and do it right the first time.

hook the focals and TBs to the amps and hook the 6.5 on the rear doors to the Head unit and fade them as you want. This system will totally rock and is much better than replacing all speakers and is probably less.

you can do alil research at www.caraudioforum.com or www.caraudio.com cheers!

also focal and elipse brand stuff are of really high quality.
Old 01-27-2004 | 09:59 AM
My bolonga has a 1st name

Originally posted by Iceman
Unless you're a do-it-yourselfer, take yourself over to Circuit City and tell them you want to upgrade your speakers. Do all four doors and the rear deck, and don't be cheap. I put Alpines in mine, but other people like Polk. Circuit City sells them both.
DO NOT TAKE IT TO CIRCUIT CITY... GO TO A RESPECTABLE SOUND AUDIO SHOP.
Old 01-27-2004 | 05:20 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by 97AcuraCL
DO NOT TAKE IT TO CIRCUIT CITY... GO TO A RESPECTABLE SOUND AUDIO SHOP.
It would be helpful if you would share a specific issue you have had with Circuit City rather than roast them in wholesale fashion. Locally, I know the manager of the circuit city installation center, and, he worked for many years at perhaps the premium high-end Stereo until they recently closed their doors. He has over 15 years of experience. He is an expert in fabrication of body panels and custom installations. Of course, Circuit City does not offer these services; however, their work is guaranteed for as long as you own the vehicle, they will replace damaged parts, and, at least here, if you trade your car in, they will uninstall the equipment from your existing car.

What I am trying to say is that where I am located, I would not hesitate to recommend Circuit City for installations to someone who is looking to upgrade speakers.
Old 01-29-2004 | 04:18 PM
Intermediate

Question

Personally, I think the stock sound system in the TSX blows any of my friends stock sound systems out of the water (6s, IS300, MazdaSpeed). The two 6x9's in the back seriously bring it to a whole new level.

I took it to a car audio place to shop around for some new speakers and the guy at the shop said for how my car is crossed over (with pretty much no highs going to the 6x9s in the rear deck) that i might want to put in a full range speaker insted of 2-(or 3)way speakers.

Has anyone expiramented with just replacing the door speakers with a nice set of 2 ways and then perhaps putting some 6x9 subs in the back deck?

What are the freq. the back deck is crossed over at??
Old 01-29-2004 | 05:03 PM
Team Owner

Re: Question

Originally posted by WndrBr3d
Personally, I think the stock sound system in the TSX blows any of my friends stock sound systems out of the water (6s, IS300, MazdaSpeed). The two 6x9's in the back seriously bring it to a whole new level.

I took it to a car audio place to shop around for some new speakers and the guy at the shop said for how my car is crossed over (with pretty much no highs going to the 6x9s in the rear deck) that i might want to put in a full range speaker insted of 2-(or 3)way speakers.

Has anyone expiramented with just replacing the door speakers with a nice set of 2 ways and then perhaps putting some 6x9 subs in the back deck?

Door speaker replacement has been covered under several threads, most recently I think in this one: http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/show...threadid=5946. Although I can't recall if anyone used full range 6x9 in the rear deck, several people replaced them with 2 way speakers. Do a search on "speakers" and read the threads you find.
Old 01-29-2004 | 06:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Im in the processsing of putting my DIY system together. basically im removing the rear 6.5s and putting in the 6x9 subs from TB. They are only 30 dollars each. GREAT buy for quality speakers.

my setup is gonna look something like this

LPG 25nfa - tweeters
Peerless 6.5 CSX woofers maybe the HD or maybe some Illusion Audio if I can find some
Custom Xovers
TB 6x9*2 Subs
USA-4300x or 5300x
Old 01-29-2004 | 07:07 PM
Advanced

First I agree with you that the TSX stock system is an above average stock system.

I also went to several high end car audio shop, they told me the same thing you've said. The rear 6 x 9 are cross over for low frequency, the audio adviser told me don't bother waste any money on getting the alpine type Rs. Even if they put the alpine speakers on, they tell me that the bass volume is going to be a lot less than the stocks speaker. And the alpine's tweeter will not work at all.
Finally, they said, "if u wanna upgrade it, replace the whole system is the only way.".
Old 01-29-2004 | 07:25 PM
Banned

Yeah, well, don't listen to them. Upgrade your speakers and drive away happy!
Old 02-02-2004 | 03:18 PM
Intermediate

if you want more bass, add a sub
I only replaced the front speakers with a 2-way split system, add a sub, and I am very happy with the improvement (a lot!!!)
Old 02-02-2004 | 04:28 PM
Instructor

Re: Re: Question

Originally posted by 2.4TSX-R
First I agree with you that the TSX stock system is an above average stock system.

I also went to several high end car audio shop, they told me the same thing you've said. The rear 6 x 9 are cross over for low frequency, the audio adviser told me don't bother waste any money on getting the alpine type Rs. Even if they put the alpine speakers on, they tell me that the bass volume is going to be a lot less than the stocks speaker. And the alpine's tweeter will not work at all.
Finally, they said, "if u wanna upgrade it, replace the whole system is the only way.".
The type R 6x9's will probably not clear the torsion springs in the trunk. The Alpine Type S will just drop in, and, the volume will be better than the stock 6x9's albiet only bass frequencies. It will sound tight and so much better than the stock speakers that you will thank yourself for a long time to come. BTW...I was told the same line of BS from local stereo shops here as well. In fact, none of them seemed to think that installing an amp off of the factory system would be good either and in their effort to push me into something gave me estimates of $300 to install the amp. Did it myself with a friend's assistance for about $50 in parts...sounds incredible. Now I am looking to replace the dash tweeters...the same stereo shops are giving me the same line of BS about power...but now, I drag them out to my car and let thme listen to "the impossible"...and tell them that I will take my chances...lol.
Old 10-05-2004 | 08:23 PM
Master Graphic Artist

Originally Posted by SilverTSXinPA
The type R 6x9's will probably not clear the torsion springs in the trunk.
What is the trunk clearance for the 6x9's? I'm getting some Pioneer TS-D690R's I'm thinking about the whole component set, but now that there's an issue with trunk clearance and door clearance, i might cancel my order. Anyone know the specs? Thanks!
Old 10-11-2004 | 11:03 AM
Pro

I had the MB Quart 6x9 Reference speakers installed without the crossover or tweeters, hooked to a 60x4 amp installed in the trunk (which also powers the front MBQ Reference 6.5's" up front). Be aware that the car was not made for more bass - having powerful free air 6x9's transmits a lot of energy into the rear deck, making it rattle. A separate aftermarket cross-over (AudioConotrol 2xs) for the 6x9's, limiting them to 50Hz - 100Hz really really cleaned up the sound, reduced speaker thrash, and added tight punch to all types of music instead of just electronic.

FYI - I simply could not believe how the front drivers weighed about the same as a piece of cardboard, with that tiny ~1/2" magnet.

While my budget definitely exceeded yours, I just wanted to highlight
* Using aftermarket 6x9's will likely reduce bass rumble in some ways because they will be tighter, so if you like the rumble you may not like new speakers

* May be softer due to being less efficient, requiring the volume to be turned up higher (which may throw them out of balance with the other 4 speakers, sounding even softer still), or requiring the installation of an amp

* May cause additional rattles, especially in that weird plastic/rubber piece hanging down a little in the center of the rear deck into the trunk

* May require a separate crossover above and beyond either stock or whatever comes on an amp in order to tune the sound and get your money's worth (FYI - to anyone looking for a cheap active one frequency cross over, I highly recommend the Harrison Labs FMODS - I tried them first when I didn't know the installer was going to throw in an AudioControl and they definitely helped reduce thrashing because I had purchased the 30Hz HPF). The MBQ's are officially rated as going as low as 32Hz... in a lab. Starting to cut it at 50 sounded so much cleaner.

Good luck! Just be aware that once you start upgrading stereos, you'll just spend more and more every car :-)