GPS Automatic Day/Night Screen Brightness

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2010 | 09:23 PM
5th Gear

GPS Automatic Day/Night Screen Brightness

I have an 08 Acura TL-S. In the past two months I got rear ended TWICE on the freeway. Both incidents were not my fault and the other party accepted full liability. I only thought about exterior and interior damage, it did not occur to me in the slightest to check my navigation/GPS system's functionality (this is my first car with GPS!).

Anyways, I recently discovered my GPS screen is always at the daytime brightness level. Therefore at night it is WAY too bright. If I change it to night time mode, it changes to night time mode just like it should. But once I put it back to Auto, it is always in Daytime mode, regardless if it is dark or light outside. It used to be so incredibly accurate, it would even turn into daytime if I went into a short tunnel, and turn back to daytime mode as soon as I cleared the tunnel.

How do I fix this problem? Has anyone ever had this issue? Perhaps its not related to the accident and its an easier fix than I think it is. Also, would warranty cover it or should I contact the other party's insurance again. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated!
Old 01-01-2010 | 10:26 PM
Drifting

Check your brightness level on your dash.. if it is set to MAX it WILL NOT go into night mode... Change it to a lower setting and turn your headlights on.. your Navi should go into night time mode. if it doesnt there IS something wrong with it..
Old 01-01-2010 | 10:28 PM
Racer

The nav's "auto" display setting is controlled by the headlights. There is an override for the night setting; check to see if your dash lights are set to maximum, if they are this overrides the night time setting. Maybe when you had your car repaired they upped the dash display level and this overrides the auto display setting.
The following users liked this post:
TMurray (06-13-2016)
Old 01-02-2010 | 01:17 AM
Advanced

your acura has a light sensor on the dash (you can read about this in your manual). that might have been damaged through one of your collisions.

and try what rbeachTL says, does it dim when you turn on your headlights?
Old 01-02-2010 | 01:36 AM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

You need to change the brightness meter of your display. When on MAX bright, the navi will always be displayed in day mode. Press the (+) button until it is on MAX bright. Then...press the (-) ONCE. Problem solved.
The following users liked this post:
TMurray (06-13-2016)
Old 01-03-2010 | 02:29 PM
5th Gear

I just tried that fix and it did not work . The navi brightness, when set to Auto, is still in daytime mode regardless of if its light or dark outside. Anyone have any other possible solutions?

Also, no it does NOT turn into nighttime mode if I turn the headlights on manually (not auto). The navi is constantly in daytime mode regardless of if the headlights are on or not.
Old 01-04-2010 | 12:34 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by loafmaster
I just tried that fix and it did not work . The navi brightness, when set to Auto, is still in daytime mode regardless of if its light or dark outside. Anyone have any other possible solutions?

Also, no it does NOT turn into nighttime mode if I turn the headlights on manually (not auto). The navi is constantly in daytime mode regardless of if the headlights are on or not.
on your gauge cluster, on the left hand side you have the dimmer switch for the guages and interior lighting. press the down arrow a few times and then try switching the headlights. Make sure the navi is in AUTO mode.
Old 01-04-2010 | 03:23 PM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Along with the points the other folks have made, I'd add that if the suggestion csmeance made works for you, in the future when you want to maximise your dashboard lighting you use the "MAX" button as a toggle switch. For example, you're driving on a rainy day and you need to have your headlights on but you don't want the dash lights and Navi dimmed. Turn on your lights, then hit "MAX." When it gets dark and you need to go back to the dimmer settings, hit "MAX" again. This is a good way to keep the dash lights at your preferred setting whilst still being able to maximise the brightness when needed.
Old 01-06-2010 | 10:41 PM
5th Gear

This worked! Thanks guys!
Old 01-21-2016 | 05:03 PM
7th Gear

I just bought a low mileage, certified 2013 TL from a local Acura dealer. We love the car but there is a problem that the dealer says can't be fixed even though I have the certified warranty as well as I purchased the extended warranty. It does not have Navigation. The clock and A/C numbers show up in the center display but they are very difficult to read in the day time. The dealer says there is no adjustment; contrast or brightness. Before I push the issue with the dealer I wanted to see if anyone has dealt with the same problem. All comments appreciated.