DIY: Load Equalizer (Resistor)

Old 06-02-2008, 03:14 PM
Avant Garde Wheels

Received 348 Likes on 291 Posts
DIY: Load Equalizer (Resistor)

Real quick DIY i wrote up since i'm at work.

I used 3ohm Resistor from www.autolumination.com (direct link to resistors) since i have both front and rear LED for my TURN SIGNALS. You can still use a 3ohm for only the front turn signals and install these in the rear.

These are installs on the right rear. left rear would be the same.

here goes..:

What you need:

and something to clamp down those splicing things... can't think of the name

1) Pop your trunk.

2) Remove that screw

3) Pull apart like so.

4) grab your resistors, keep it in hand. on the turn signal wires, find.. two wires (black and green/yellow) crimp those like so:

so final product.. should look like this...

this would be the same for the left rear.

For the front, it is different. www.autolumination.com has instructions on what to do but i didn't try that out.

Good luck!

Don't blame me for any mistakes... this is my first time?????
Old 06-02-2008, 03:18 PM
Avant Garde Wheels

those resistors get hot and melted through my inner lining thing.. i didn't mount them anywhere... just left them where they are.

more for me.....
Old 06-02-2008, 06:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it would have been alot easier to just buy the relpacement relay off super bright leds . com takes 2 minutes to replace and works just as good
Old 06-03-2008, 11:47 AM
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Question

Has anyone ever tried the Electronic LED Flashers instead of the load resistor?

Electronic LED Flasher at the Bottom

Is this the best way to do it?
Old 06-03-2008, 12:26 PM
Lamborghini Aventador FTW

Received 73 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Doc Holliday
Has anyone ever tried the Electronic LED Flashers instead of the load resistor?

Electronic LED Flasher at the Bottom

Is this the best way to do it?
I've asked about these in the past but I don't think anyone has used them. I'd think that'd be the best way to do it, if possible.
Old 06-03-2008, 12:37 PM
Pro

The only question I have is how/where do they connect and while the turn signal still make that nice clicking noise to let you know if you left your blinker on when driving?
Old 06-03-2008, 02:58 PM
Your Garage

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
did u read the note under it?

"Note that some of these flashers operate silently, they do not make the familiar clicking sound when operating. One solution is to connect a common automotive relay to the output along with your LED bulbs
Also note that these flashers do not replace all flasher units. Before you order, please see the pin outs of our flashers in the "more info" page below and compare with the one you are replacing. Click the part numbers for complete spec sheets. You can usually find your flasher pin out printed right on your flasher. Failure to check this and installation in an incompatible vehicle can blow your fuse, destroy the flasher and void the flasher warranty"
Old 06-03-2008, 03:18 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by DC3328
did u read the note under it?

"Note that some of these flashers operate silently, they do not make the familiar clicking sound when operating. One solution is to connect a common automotive relay to the output along with your LED bulbs
Also note that these flashers do not replace all flasher units. Before you order, please see the pin outs of our flashers in the "more info" page below and compare with the one you are replacing. Click the part numbers for complete spec sheets. You can usually find your flasher pin out printed right on your flasher. Failure to check this and installation in an incompatible vehicle can blow your fuse, destroy the flasher and void the flasher warranty"
ya but where is this part located? and it says, "some"... so maybe someone has done it and knows?
Old 06-20-2008, 01:48 PM
10th Gear

does any1 who used a electronic led flasher know what model to get for a 03 tl type s?? i see they have several different models..
Old 06-21-2008, 02:08 PM
Good bye 03 TL-S

hey guys, if you're looking to have normal flashing blinkers there should be flashers at autozone to fix it. Go to the isle with the flasher units and find the yellow circular one. I forget what it's called but you can have them look up what ones will fit the car and go with the last ones, it will say on the package about it being able to flash at normal rate even if there's a blown bulb. It may only have 2 prongs however, like the one I got, which is ok. It costs 8 bucks. I took a pair of wire cutters and cut the plastic corners that are around the stock square flasher so the circular one will fit. I plugged it in so that the left and the bottom slots had the 2 pins in it, as I found it was the only way to install it that would allow it to work. The flasher unit is uner the dash on the drivers side above/next to the back of the fuse box. just turn on your blinker and trace the noise. Easy install, took 5 min and the led swichbacks for the front now blink at the proper rate. No need for cutting and splicing and removing the bumper, etc.
GL. I can probably do a quick write up soon.
Old 07-27-2008, 11:11 AM
White 2000 TL

JJASHAA did you use two Resistor for all 4 signals or did you use a Resistor per signal ?
Old 07-27-2008, 01:06 PM
Pro

Lightbulb

Don't mess with all that shit... just do this

if you're running LED's and your blinkers go to fast... try this ...

Blazin_TL told me this : )

Ok this is the easiest thing to do.. go to superbrightleds.com and buy the Electronic LED Flasher unit the part number is CF13JL-02..

you need to pull out the stock flasher relay thats located in the drivers side fusebox on the side facing the passanger

here is a picture of the fusebox..the flasher unit is on the right side on the bottom (ignore the red circle)

http://files.subtledream.com/TL/reve...w/IMG_9338.jpg

pull that one out and replace it with the new one.. now here is the problem. the relay they give you is too big to fit so what you have to do is carefully pull the black box off it.. its quite easy taking it off.. it only took me two minutes and all works fine.. my blinkers work fine and it still clicks when the signal is on and this works for the front and back reguardless if u switch back to regular bulbs.

hope this helps [/QUOTE]

I did this last week and it works like a charm : )
The following 2 users liked this post by Doc Holliday:
Chris Silva (06-21-2013), mr_protege (06-21-2013)
Old 07-28-2008, 11:57 AM
White 2000 TL

Ok this is the easiest thing to do.. go to superbrightleds.com and buy the Electronic LED Flasher unit the part number is CF13JL-02..

you need to pull out the stock flasher relay thats located in the drivers side fusebox on the side facing the passanger

here is a picture of the fusebox..the flasher unit is on the right side on the bottom (ignore the red circle)

pull that one out and replace it with the new one.. now here is the problem. the relay they give you is too big to fit so what you have to do is carefully pull the black box off it.. its quite easy taking it off.. it only took me two minutes and all works fine.. my blinkers work fine and it still clicks when the signal is on and this works for the front and back reguardless if u switch back to regular bulbs.

hope this helps

I did this last week and it works like a charm : )[/QUOTE]

this way sounds so much better becuz i can go back to oem bulbs if i want, so all i have to do is remove the plastic piece on the fuse so it will fit how did you go about removing it I'm just asking cuz i don't have one in hand
Old 07-29-2008, 10:42 PM
White 2000 TL

AnyOne ?
Old 07-30-2008, 05:33 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^^^ I would like to know as well. Order one and its on the way. How did you take off the black box off?
Old 07-30-2008, 01:31 PM
Avant Garde Wheels

Originally Posted by Sniper 55
AnyOne ?
sorry..

i used two 3 ohm in the rear for all four corrections.

Originally Posted by III.II
Order one and its on the way. How did you take off the black box off?
black box? and only one or a set
Old 07-30-2008, 03:16 PM
Pro

Lightbulb

AnyOne ?

ok just buy the piece that I said... you don't need to mess with wires or anything. once you get the little black box flasher unit... there's simply a black plastic cover that you have to remove. There are 2 black tabs that hold it over the brown plug bottom part... simply pry them apart and it slips right off to expose the circuitry. The circuitry really doesn't need the black box's protection anyways since the unit is plugged in on the fusebox under the dash.

The toughest part is positioning your body under your steering wheel and pulling the old flasher box out lol... This is really an easy task... You only have to remove the one screw that holds the driver side dash when you pry the fuse box panel off... then pull the dash gently off the clips and let it dangle with the dimmer light wiring : )

Then get under there and pull the old flasher out... (I think there's a little tab to push down, but I broke it off when I pulled mine out... it's not needed) Then push the new one in carefully and all the way and you're good to go... snap the dash back and do the one screw and you're all done... Then the flashers blink at normal intervals and make the sound and you can sleep easier.
Old 07-30-2008, 03:28 PM
Pro

Lightbulb

to clear up any confusion.... there are two ways to make your Blinkers flash at normal intervals...

One is to buy the resistors and tap into wires and all that under the trunk liner...

or

Just buy the one flasher unit and replace it for $12

Obviously, I like the flasher unit way better because I'm no good with wires and all that...
Old 07-30-2008, 03:31 PM
Avant Garde Wheels

to clear up any confusion.... there are two ways to make your Blinkers flash at normal intervals...

One is to buy the resistors and tap into wires and all that under the trunk liner...

or

Just buy the one flasher unit and replace it for $12

Obviously, I like the flasher unit way better because I'm no good with wires and all that...
yup.. to each his own. should make a DIY with pic Doc

should help other members and they can decide which way they would like.
Old 07-30-2008, 06:37 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by jjashaa
yup.. to each his own. should make a DIY with pic Doc

should help other members and they can decide which way they would like.

lol, I would, but I already installed mine and it really is very easy... There's only one phillips head screw involved : )

I'm dealing with this pain in the ass conversion... getting all the parts and all that to save some money.
Old 07-31-2008, 05:14 PM
White 2000 TL

Thanks Guys for the all the help
Old 08-02-2008, 06:45 PM
White 2000 TL

i have a ? With the LED flasher unit installed will it still tell me if one of my bulbs is out ?
Old 08-03-2008, 12:05 AM
Pro

i have a ? With the LED flasher unit installed will it still tell me if one of my bulbs is out ?

Dunno yet lol... probably, but I'm not positive...
Old 06-21-2013, 06:38 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hope this helps

I did this last week and it works like a charm : )[/QUOTE]

I know this is old but just wanted to +1 this post. I bought the part off of eBay for $7.50 (the one from Taiwan with a best offer feature, took about a week to get to the US) and pried the case off. The hardest part was trying to take the old relay out.