PRL Motorsports Intercooler and Charge Pipes

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2023 | 01:34 PM
Instructor

PRL Motorsports Intercooler and Charge Pipes

Does anyone have any real world insight on how your Type S felt before and after adding the PRL Intercooler and Charge Pipe kit? My current mods are the KTuner Stage 1 midrange dampening 2 tune and the Functionwerks Up Pipes/Down Pipes combo. Just a quick note about the Functionwerks combo. The before and after was pretty amazing as the only mod before the install was the Ktuner tune. The pipes combo made about the same difference that the actual tune did. Much better spool, more low/mid/top end power along with a much nicer sound. But, what surprised me the most was how much smoother it became. I was truly impressed and the build quality and customer service was excellent. We were having some trouble with the install and the owner was able to help us out on a Saturday so Kudo's to him! (The Up Pipes are TRICKY.)
I know that Intercoolers do not technically make any extra HP the same way DP or UP don't, but I'm curious of real world observations on the Type S as a before and after driving feel. From what I read a properly designed aftermarket intercooler should add 5% to 10% extra HP across the board with the proper supporting mods. There really isn't any youtube videos of real world performance on the kit, just installs. Any input is greatly appreciated!
Old 08-06-2023 | 12:49 PM
Instructor

Does no one here own this intercooler for their Type S?
Old 08-09-2023 | 12:03 PM
Instructor

i haven't ordered mine yet. but the larger intercooler isn't meant to increase performance. It does a great job of eliminating the overwhelming heat soak we get with this car and allows for more stable performance time and time again.
Old 08-09-2023 | 01:50 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by FckFiat
i haven't ordered mine yet. but the larger intercooler isn't meant to increase performance. It does a great job of eliminating the overwhelming heat soak we get with this car and allows for more stable performance time and time again.
That I get. But, wouldn't the overall colder AIT produce HP/TQ gains organically regardless if there is heat soak or not? From what I read a good aftermarket intercooler should add about 5 to 10% extra power across the board. Would that not be accurate?
Old 08-10-2023 | 08:32 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by BadMoonRyzen
That I get. But, wouldn't the overall colder AIT produce HP/TQ gains organically regardless if there is heat soak or not? From what I read a good aftermarket intercooler should add about 5 to 10% extra power across the board. Would that not be accurate?
I mean yes and no. I don't think its the simple though. there's other factors than just slapping on a larger IC and expecting big gains.
Old 08-10-2023 | 08:47 AM
Instructor

but yes the upgraded IC will definitely add to the overall performance and probably make the car feel much better. I'm trying to pick one up this year but I'm working on a couple other things with the car right now including a bored TB, PP intake manifold and a single 3" titanium exhaust
Old 08-17-2023 | 05:47 PM
Cruisin'

but yes the upgraded IC will definitely add to the overall performance and probably make the car feel much better. I'm trying to pick one up this year but I'm working on a couple other things with the car right now including a bored TB, PP intake manifold and a single 3" titanium exhaust
Which TB are you getting? and what is the "PP" IM?
Old 08-17-2023 | 06:26 PM
Instructor

Bought a stock TB and had it bored out from 69 to 73MM. Saved about $100 over buying it from P2R.

I'm in the process of port/polishing my intake manifold. I gasket matched it already and smoothed out the runners. Just got it back from powder coating last week. Now I'm just waiting on a couple flex hone brushes so I can smooth out the insides to a mirror finish.
Old 08-17-2023 | 06:52 PM
Cruisin'

Oh I gotcha. What are you expecting as far as performance from the TB and IM? I read somewhere that the bored TB helped a bit with low end/daily drivability... I don't have the tools to do my own bore or P and P so I'd have to pay the big bucks to have it done. You think it'd be worth it?

I just got the '23 about 2 months ago and I love it, but I wish Honda would've just pushed it over the 400hp mark so I want to do it myself. So far I'm looking at the secondary down pipe, throttle body, CAI, IC, and charge pipe.
Old 08-17-2023 | 07:01 PM
Instructor

the JB4 probably got me close to 400 right away.

I went with the function werk DP, which is a single 200 cell cat and secondary delete. then I got it cerakoted and also used the wrap over it as well. underhood temps dropped a good amount

Last edited by FckFiat; 08-17-2023 at 07:02 PM. Reason: adding info
Old 08-17-2023 | 07:31 PM
Cruisin'

the JB4 probably got me close to 400 right away.

I went with the function werk DP, which is a single 200 cell cat and secondary delete. then I got it cerakoted and also used the wrap over it as well. underhood temps dropped a good amount
I mean I would be good with getting the JB4 but I'm also skeptical about any tuning that's just "plug and play". Especially when it comes to potential warranty issues.
Old 08-17-2023 | 09:40 PM
Instructor

they can't trace the JB4 because its a piggy back. All it does is send a signal to the ECU giving false information (boost pressure). This tricks the ECU into thinking boost is lower than what is actually being produced
Old 11-23-2023 | 04:34 PM
6th Gear

Does no one here own this intercooler for their Type S?
Hey, I'm thinking getting the PRL intercooler combo. Did you get one?
Old 11-24-2023 | 07:54 AM
TLX_Type S

I have the intercooler and charge pipe kit on my Type S. It’s really nice design and quality. Can’t say I notice any gains from it. I’m sure there are, but it’s been installed for some time. I run the Ktuner Stage 1 Midrange Dampening 1. If it gets lower than 70 degrees in Florida, I’ll overboost. In the summers I’ll run just Stage 1 no dampening.

Also have the ATLP second cat delete, P2R manifold and throttle body. Have the HPS intake as well, but got tired of the constant turbo sucking air sound in. Put the factory intake back on.

yoga mats make the best work mats. lol

Last edited by rockfordmtx; 11-24-2023 at 07:57 AM.
The following users liked this post:
savvich (08-09-2024)
Old 11-24-2023 | 08:46 AM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by rockfordmtx
I have the intercooler and charge pipe kit on my Type S. It’s really nice design and quality. Can’t say I notice any gains from it. I’m sure there are, but it’s been installed for some time. I run the Ktuner Stage 1 Midrange Dampening 1. If it gets lower than 70 degrees in Florida, I’ll overboost. In the summers I’ll run just Stage 1 no dampening.

Also have the ATLP second cat delete, P2R manifold and throttle body. Have the HPS intake as well, but got tired of the constant turbo sucking air sound in. Put the factory intake back on.

yoga mats make the best work mats. lol
Nice. Not sure if I want to install it myself
Old 11-24-2023 | 04:06 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by SmileyYYC
Hey, I'm thinking getting the PRL intercooler combo. Did you get one?
I did not but it's nice to see an update from someone who did get one. I'm still a little on the fence about it as I have yet to run into heat soak with the stock intercooler. That being said I don't drive my cars quite as hard all the time like I used to. I just wish for the amount of money it cost that I would notice a little bump in power just from the lower intake temps.
Old 11-24-2023 | 04:09 PM
Instructor

Thanks for posting! How much of a pain was the install? Not really looking forward to taking off the bumper. Also, did it get much louder with removing some of the stock ducting and such? I already have increased sound with the Function Werk up pipes/down pipes and I really don't want it any louder.
Old 11-24-2023 | 04:49 PM
6th Gear

I did not but it's nice to see an update from someone who did get one. I'm still a little on the fence about it as I have yet to run into heat soak with the stock intercooler. That being said I don't drive my cars quite as hard all the time like I used to. I just wish for the amount of money it cost that I would notice a little bump in power just from the lower intake temps.
Haha. I got the 1st Gen and only drive it in the summer. Winter roads up here sux and lot of salt on the road.
Old 11-25-2023 | 05:13 AM
TLX_Type S

Thanks for posting! How much of a pain was the install? Not really looking forward to taking off the bumper. Also, did it get much louder with removing some of the stock ducting and such? I already have increased sound with the Function Werk up pipes/down pipes and I really don't want it any louder.
it wasn’t too difficult. The plastic piece above the headlights was a pain to get off and I broke one of the plastic tabs that holds it on. I didn’t replace it and you can’t tell.

I watched the AHC Garage YouTube channel a million times on how they did it to our cars and it helped a lot.

You can hear the turbo slightly more. It’s not wildly louder. Probably from the piping kit. It removes a resonator from the right side.

Last edited by rockfordmtx; 11-25-2023 at 05:15 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by rockfordmtx:
MelodicApex8 (01-17-2024), QuickStix26 (02-16-2024)
Old 11-25-2023 | 07:28 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by rockfordmtx
it wasn’t too difficult. The plastic piece above the headlights was a pain to get off and I broke one of the plastic tabs that holds it on. I didn’t replace it and you can’t tell.

I watched the AHC Garage YouTube channel a million times on how they did it to our cars and it helped a lot.

You can hear the turbo slightly more. It’s not wildly louder. Probably from the piping kit. It removes a resonator from the right side.

Gotcha. I think I would just watch the video as well and take is slow. So, any real world differences you have noticed on a day to day basis after install?
Old 11-27-2023 | 03:08 PM
TLX_Type S

Day to day when it’s cold here in FL it pulls a lot harder and will overboost and the car protects itself from it. Feels like hitting a wall when that happens.

I can’t say definitively that the intercooler and pipes make a major difference or not. With the other items I installed I would have to dyno each time to see what gains they would make and do an overall when done. Next on my list is a downpipe, but not sure when then will be and then I’d like dyno after that. There wouldn’t be much left for bolt ones unless someone made a drop in turbo like PRL, but I’m not sure I would do that.
Old 11-27-2023 | 03:13 PM
Instructor

Thank you for the reply. I was occasionally over boosting as well so I just went with the Mid Range Dampening Two tune and all has been well since. Plus, I feel that tune in general is just a lot smoother.
Old 02-16-2024 | 10:47 PM
Intermediate

Saw the AHC video as well. Thinking this might be next on my mod list.