Trying to decide: Type S vs G70

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2021, 10:22 AM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Trying to decide: Type S vs G70

I was so stoked for the Type S in that delicious blue... but then I started researching the G70, and Genesis just offers so many more amenities (including free (valet!) service), *much* better tech (360 camera in 2022... really Acura? No rear USB???), plus the G70 gets astounding reviews all around, especially the 2022. Price is pretty much identical (around $53K). I'm a longtime Honda/Acura guy and I know Genesis is made by Hyundai, but it's getting reviews (and has for a few years) from literally everyone putting it just shy of the BMW 345i, for thousands less ... anyone else in the same boat / have any thoughts?
The following users liked this post:
Furnace (07-13-2021)

Popular Reply

07-13-2021, 08:53 PM
Furnace
Intermediate

Received 74 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by dasman
I was so stoked for the Type S in that delicious blue... but then I started researching the G70, and Genesis just offers so many more amenities (including free (valet!) service), *much* better tech (360 camera in 2022... really Acura? No rear USB???), plus the G70 gets astounding reviews all around, especially the 2022. Price is pretty much identical (around $53K). I'm a longtime Honda/Acura guy and I know Genesis is made by Hyundai, but it's getting reviews (and has for a few years) from literally everyone putting it just shy of the BMW 345i, for thousands less ... anyone else in the same boat / have any thoughts?
Hi All,

First post, but relevant to this conversation. Earlier in the week I test drove a bunch of vehicles (wont bother listing them) but today I narrowed down my search to both the Type S and '22 G70 3.3T Sport. FYI...I am in Canada.

The Acura dealership "let" me take the car on a very short test drive. The Genesis dealer gave me the keys for two hours and said have fun and really work the thing to get a good feel for it. I was really leaning towards the Genesis at this point. However, a few things become apparent.

- The build quality of the Type-S (and likely TLX too) seemed better than the Genesis. The doors opened and closed more firmly. The touch-points (hands, elbows, wrists) were more luxurious. The buttons and knobs were superior. The steering felt better. The vehicle itself just felt more premium.
- The road noise was noticeably higher in the Genesis. Either the air moving around the car or the noise from the tires on the road. Couldn't quite tell.
- The interior was especially cramped inside the Genesis. Yes, the Type-S is a larger vehicle overall, but I'm 6'-3" and when the seat was adjusted to a comfortable driving position, my head touched the roof liner ever so often. I'm a thin guy, but anyone with some girth will definitely feel cramped in the Genesis. The Type-S definitely felt more spacious.
- The interior of the Genesis felt a little too "Kia" for me. Many of the buttons are the same as the ones in the Kia Optima and Stinger. They just felt cheaper than the TLX's and seem as though they will wear quicker over time.
- Driving both cars, I think I might have to lean towards the Genesis. It felt a little quicker and I preferred the programing of the transmission over the TLX's.

Ultimately, I ended up going with the Type-S. Why? Well, 99% of driving is commuting or shuffling kids around to their sports. The slight performance gain of the Genesis was offset by the other things I listed above. For me, the Type-S is the perfect blend between family sedan and sports car.

Delivery of my 2021 TLX Type-S in Apex Blue Pearl is this Friday. Can't wait!

Hope this helps.

Old 07-08-2021, 10:44 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 562 Likes on 293 Posts
The G70 looks awesome. I think the interior is way better than the Acura. The Acura looks better on the exterior though. The TLX is a great looking car as well. I’d go G70 it’s faster and that interior puts it over the TLX IMO
Old 07-08-2021, 11:01 AM
Pro

Received 542 Likes on 265 Posts
Originally Posted by Kense
The G70 looks awesome. I think the interior is way better than the Acura. The Acura looks better on the exterior though. The TLX is a great looking car as well. I’d go G70 it’s faster and that interior puts it over the TLX IMO
Have a second look. G70 interior is not impressive at all. The dash layout and front looks cheap to me. Yes, it's got a beautiful screen now but the rest is dull.
The following 3 users liked this post by dmski:
Jaysizzle (07-14-2021), KrylonBlue (08-21-2021), shinedown (07-15-2021)
Old 07-08-2021, 11:07 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 562 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by dmski
Have a second look. G70 interior is not impressive at all. The dash layout and front looks cheap to me. Yes, it's got a beautiful screen now but the rest is dull.
That’s how I feel about the TLX. The leather on the seats already shows wear in some videos and I hate the gear shifter. The quilted Red interior of the G70 looks way better. It’s less busy in the center console. I like the cleaner look of the G70
Old 07-08-2021, 11:25 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Buy what appeals to you the most. Warning: One Genesis in the family so am biased. So from a non-judgemintial point of view I think the G70 will out bang the Type-S for the buck.

Performance wise this is the G70 VS the S4 & you can compare it to the Type-S VS what looks like the same S4. Sam sucks worse as a driver in this one.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 07-08-2021 at 11:27 AM.
DubPK (07-08-2021)
Old 07-08-2021, 11:25 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 361 Posts
Originally Posted by Kense
Considering both cars are kinda small inside, I'd go for the one with the better performance for the same price. I also agree that the interior of G70 is better.
I also believe it would also be easier to get a G70 vs Type-S right now.
Old 07-08-2021, 12:43 PM
Cruisin'

Indeed. And a similarly-equipped S4 costs almost $70K!
Old 07-08-2021, 01:36 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,429 Likes on 1,879 Posts
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Buy what appeals to you the most. Warning: One Genesis in the family so am biased. So from a non-judgemintial point of view I think the G70 will out bang the Type-S for the buck.
Does a Hyundai Genesis Coupe count as a Genesis (brand)? I'm not quite sure it does, even if it shares the name. Because in that same vein, a Volvo V60 Polestar would count as a Polestar (brand) car, which it most certainly is not.

I say this because a Genesis car is heads and shoulders more well-appointed than a Hyundai car, but that was not the case of the HGC when I test drove one back in 2013.

Last edited by fiatlux; 07-08-2021 at 01:39 PM.
Old 07-08-2021, 02:34 PM
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 14 Posts
Same here but looking at the G70 in person, it looks like a much smaller interior than the TLX. Not as good looking as the TL interior either in my opinion.
Old 07-08-2021, 03:02 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by fiatlux
Does a Hyundai Genesis Coupe count as a Genesis (brand)? I'm not quite sure it does, even if it shares the name. Because in that same vein, a Volvo V60 Polestar would count as a Polestar (brand) car, which it most certainly is not.

I say this because a Genesis car is heads and shoulders more well-appointed than a Hyundai car, but that was not the case of the HGC when I test drove one back in 2013.
Have no issues about the car. IIRC is a 2016 or 2017 & Genesis was spun off in 2015. That makes it a Genesis like its contemporary Genesis sedans. So you can call it whatever you want. My take is not a nickel outside of normal maintenance has been put into it the Coupe since it was bought. It had a complementary maintenance program for the first 3 years/36000 miles. Was the camels nose into the tent. I take it in for its annual state inspection so am still up to date on its status. Also had it for 6 months when my grandson was in China on an internship & drove it frequently. Liked it.

Panel seam fit is first class, paint is very good, high level of standard equipment including 19" wheels with Michelin PSS tires, LSD, sport suspension, camber plates, Brembo brakes, 6MT. No major wear on the leather interior. Car is currently in Atlanta but was here for a family 4th of July get-together at the beach. Had this come up a few days ago could have taken a current close up shot. Have an interior shot of his R-Spec version. Makes a lot of runs between Atlanta, Raleigh & Ocean Isle Beach. Car also did one lap of America Ski tour.

Genesis has stepped up their interiors since this car was built but the structure, mechanicals, durability, have proven to be quite good & there si no reason to think they have gotten worse. Have had no problem recommendation Genesis when asked.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 07-08-2021 at 03:10 PM.
Old 07-08-2021, 03:07 PM
Safety Car

Have no issues about the car. IIRC is a 2016 or 2017 & Genesis was spun off in 2015. That makes it a Genesis like its contemporary Genesis sedans. So you can call it whatever you want. My take is not a nickel outside of normal maintenance has been put into it the Coupe since it was bought. It had a complementary maintenance program for the first 3 years/36000 miles. Was the camels nose into the tent. I take it in for its annual state inspection so am still up to date on its status. Also had it for 6 months when my grandson was in China on an internship & drove it frequently. Liked it.

Panel seam fit is first class, paint is very good, high level of standard equipment including 19" wheels with Michelin PSS tires, LSD, sport suspension, camber plates, Brembo brakes, 6MT. No major wear on the leather interior. Car is currently in Atlanta but was here for a family 4th of July get-together at the beach. Had this come up a few days ago could have taken a current close up shot. Have an interior shot of his version. Makes a lot of runs between Atlanta, Raleigh & Ocean Isle Beach. Car also did one lap of America Ski tour.

Genesis has stepped up their interiors since this car was built but the structure, mechanicals, durability, have proven to be quite good. Have had no problem recommendation Genesis when asked.
But again, that car was more Hyunda than it is Genesis, so by that logic wouldn't you also recommend Hyundai? I'm not saying Genesis isn't good (it is), but I think the HGC is more of a representation of what Hyundai is, not necessarily Genesis.
Old 07-08-2021, 03:17 PM
Pro

Received 542 Likes on 265 Posts

Performance wise this is the G70 VS the S4 & you can compare it to the Type-S VS what looks like the same S4. Sam sucks worse as a driver in this one.

S4 VS G70
If you want performance go with G70. You know it will gap Type S on Saturday. It will be ugly again.....
Old 07-08-2021, 03:27 PM
Suzuka Master

But again, that car was more Hyunda than it is Genesis, so by that logic wouldn't you also recommend Hyundai? I'm not saying Genesis isn't good (it is), but I think the HGC is more of a representation of what Hyundai is, not necessarily Genesis.
Yeah, have no problem recommending Hyundai. My cousin bought one after asking me if I would buy one. If I was buying cars in the Hyundai/Kia price range I would buy one. If Genesis built a performance 2 seat roadster that I liked the look I would buy one. I had no difficulty buying the R-Spec.

Don't know what you drove 8 years ago but in those 8 years Hyundai/Kia/Genesis has risen to become the 5th largest car company in the world. You don't manage that building crap cars. Honda is 8th

Don't really know what else to say.

Just to throw a wrinkle in I also bought a Mazda CX-5.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 07-08-2021 at 03:41 PM.
Old 07-08-2021, 03:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,809 Likes on 13,988 Posts
One vote for the Type S but you should also take a look at the Audi S5 Sportback.

The following 2 users liked this post by Yumcha:
04WDPSeDaN (07-08-2021), WTF.Acura (07-08-2021)
Old 07-08-2021, 08:19 PM
Instructor

Received 117 Likes on 35 Posts
Sit in one first. I’m an average build and when I first shut the driver door on the 2022, it cramped me in. First thing I thought was “wow not much room in here.” I did like the surround view, turn signal cameras in the gauge cluster and the ability to turn off the “piped in” engine noise. Other than the headlights looking cool, I’m not fond of the Cadillac grill copy.

I test drove the 2022 “Launch Editition.” $884 for a lease with 66% residual and .002 money factor and $0 down.

They said the thing was going to sell fast if I didn’t buy it. 3 weeks later it’s still sitting there. Now with 100 miles on it.
Old 07-08-2021, 09:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 498 Likes on 249 Posts
Originally Posted by Ghostof TypeS Past
Sit in one first. I’m an average build and when I first shut the driver door on the 2022, it cramped me in. First thing I thought was “wow not much room in here.” I did like the surround view, turn signal cameras in the gauge cluster and the ability to turn off the “piped in” engine noise. Other than the headlights looking cool, I’m not fond of the Cadillac grill copy.

I test drove the 2022 “Launch Editition.” $884 for a lease with 66% residual and .002 money factor and $0 down.

They said the thing was going to sell fast if I didn’t buy it. 3 weeks later it’s still sitting there. Now with 100 miles on it.
As much as people like to hype up Genesis, not many are actually are pulling the trigger, backing up their words and buying them.
The following 2 users liked this post by Nexx:
one4all (07-13-2021), Tony Pac (07-09-2021)
Old 07-08-2021, 10:45 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,809 Likes on 13,988 Posts
Originally Posted by Nexx
As much as people like to hype up Genesis, not many are actually are pulling the trigger, backing up their words and buying them.
Cuz, the idea of putting that amount of coin into a Korean car.......

Hate to say it but, I'm wayyyy to shallow to ever own a Genesis.
one4all (07-13-2021)
Old 07-08-2021, 11:10 PM
Safety Car

Give it another 5-10 years. Just 10 years ago, Hyundais and Kias were seen as low quality cars for poor people who couldn't afford a Toyota or Honda. Now there's a line out the door on the Telluride and dealerships are getting over sticker on them.
The following 2 users liked this post by fiatlux:
BEAR-AvHistory (07-09-2021), ELIN (07-09-2021)
Old 07-09-2021, 01:14 AM
Suzuka Master

Give it another 5-10 years. Just 10 years ago, Hyundais and Kias were seen as low quality cars for poor people who couldn't afford a Toyota or Honda. Now there's a line out the door on the Telluride and dealerships are getting over sticker on them.
Agree, as a car company #5 Hyundai/Kia has already passed #8 Honda as a car company. Genesis launched in the U.S. in late 2016. So give it some time to finish establishing its dealer network here. Right now as they finally added the GV80 SUV they are looking to a large one GV90 SUV to fill out that part of the line up. I believe they will then have one car left to add to what is already a robust product line a Coupe. Several prototypes have already been shown. So down the road their line should be 3 sedans, 3 SUV's 1 Sports car.

A lot of people don't want to walk into a Hyundai/Kia dealer to buy a $74,000 upscale car. Acura sales would also be less if they were sold by the same guy who sells Civics. Me I could care less as I don't especially want to spend any time at a dealers store. I get a test drive where I can then shop the internet for price.

Cars are a commodity & all dealers of a brand have the same products to sell. IMHO schmoozing with some car salesman & sitting around while he checks with his manager (goes for coffee) is a waste of time.

Others want to go into a Taj Mahal style building & be fawned over by the staff to get their upscale car.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 07-09-2021 at 01:17 AM.
Old 07-09-2021, 08:58 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 666 Likes on 359 Posts
This is to assume in 5-10 years Acura has made no progress and I don't think that would be the case. I also don't really like the seat design of the Genesis because it reminds me of the EndlessRPM leather seat covers they make for several vehicles including the 3G TL. Acura has in my opinion one of the best seat designs right now.
Old 07-09-2021, 09:15 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,598 Likes on 961 Posts
Originally Posted by Nexx
That's the issue....but again don't forget these are the "True enthusiasts of North America" They want to make Acura great again! They know everything and the rest of us know nothing
Old 07-09-2021, 09:20 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts
A little over three months ago I traded a BMW 540 M-Sport for a totally loaded G70 3.3 with sport package. I’m a huge car nut and have been since the mid ‘60s. I follow all cars and have owned about 75 four wheel vehicles. I’ve road raced motorcycles, and drag raced and autocrossed cars. My last four daily drivers have been the 540, two A7 Audi’s, and a BMW 550. I’ve owned seven Corvettes, my last a 2009 Z06.

With that introduction, let me say that I’m more than a little impressed with the G70. I’ve driven it 100 plus miles in a sitting several times. The day after I got it I took it out to the roads in the Texas Hill Country outside of Kerrville where I ride my Sport bikes several times a week. The route was 150 miles of a some of the best enthusiast roads you could ask for. The car handles exceptionally well, and the steering is probably the best I’ve ever driven. The A7s are in the same class for steering. At the same time, the G70 rides better than my BMWs.

I don’t agree with a post above that the interior feels cheap. Quite the contrary. I think it’s very nice. The seats lean to the sporty side, but are quite comfortable. They may be a little tight for bigger folks though. The interior is not as roomy as some folks might need, but that is covered by the bigger Kia Stinger which is essentially the same car.

Features are great, and the stereo is outstanding. I freely admit I bought it to save some money, although I could easily have afforded a more expensive car. But I only drive my car about 5,000 miles a year now that I’m retired (I now put about 35,000 miles a year on my three motorcycles combined). But now that I’ve had the car and have about 2,600 miles on it I can say it’s no longer about saving money. This car would easily be my choice even if it was $10,000 more. A disclaimer - resale is still a concern for Genesis. I leased mine at a good price, so resale is not an issue. If you keep cars a long time it will not be as much of a concern either.

Last edited by jjsC5; 07-09-2021 at 09:30 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by jjsC5:
BEAR-AvHistory (07-09-2021), GeraldB (08-23-2021), Monte TLS,MAX (07-09-2021), pyrodan007 (07-09-2021), riomp300 (07-17-2021)
Old 07-09-2021, 09:26 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Yumcha
Cuz, the idea of putting that amount of coin into a Korean car.......

Hate to say it but, I'm wayyyy to shallow to ever own a Genesis.
I totally get it. No arguments from me. But Japan had the same reputation 50 years ago. As others have pointed out, most Americans are over that. They sell a gazillion cars in the U.S. now. It’s just us enthusiasts who have been the last to get over it. I tell people I’m not a snob, except for cars because they are my passion. I “considered” a Genesis for the past ten years but always rationalized why not to buy one. But per my post above, they finally got me and I could not be any happier about it.
TLXinTX (07-13-2021)
Old 07-09-2021, 09:35 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Ghostof TypeS Past

Just to clarify, which car are you talking about? I’m guessing the G70 but not sure. If you are saying $884 for a lease on a G70, I agree that would be an awful deal. Mine is $300 less than that. It will come back down. No sedans are selling well, and Genesis still has to sell on price.
BEAR-AvHistory (07-09-2021)
Old 07-09-2021, 10:41 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by jjsC5
I totally get it. No arguments from me. But Japan had the same reputation 50 years ago. As others have pointed out, most Americans are over that. They sell a gazillion cars in the U.S. now. It’s just us enthusiasts who have been the last to get over it. I tell people I’m not a snob, except for cars because they are my passion. I “considered” a Genesis for the past ten years but always rationalized why not to buy one. But per my post above, they finally got me and I could not be any happier about it.
Many here are too young to remember this 1969 Civic.

Originally Posted by GhostTL09
This is to assume in 5-10 years Acura has made no progress and I don't think that would be the case. I also don't really like the seat design of the Genesis because it reminds me of the EndlessRPM leather seat covers they make for several vehicles including the 3G TL. Acura has in my opinion one of the best seat designs right now.
Not true, Honda has come a long way in the USA since the 1969 Civic. Thing is Hyundai/Kia has also come here since 1986. Honda has had a 17 year lead on them in the USA & its slipping away Its down to about 110,000 cars. In South Korea their first car was a rebadged FORD Cortina in 1968. The first South Korean product was the 1975, the Pony. Globally they have already passed HONDA.

Its pretty common for people not to like this or that about a specific car thats why there are so many brands & models within brands. I did not like the grill on the M4 so I did not buy one as I had intended to do. My car has the more traditional BMW grill. That said my daughter has no problem with it so she is ordering a M4 convertible when they start selling in a few months.

That drag race was a real wakeup call for Acura fans who bought into the whole Red Line BS race that the S beat the S4. You all should read the comments after Sams Video to get a feel exactly what is being said about the car. If I was the chief Acura marketing exec I would be considering Seppuku.
Old 07-09-2021, 10:44 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Tony Pac
That's the issue....but again don't forget these are the "True enthusiasts of North America" They want to make Acura great again! They know everything and the rest of us know nothing
With all due respect see what is being said on Sam's site during and after the race. Its not just a few "True enthusiasts of North America" its a number of people this site owner would love to see as members.
Tony Pac (07-09-2021)
Old 07-09-2021, 11:25 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by GhostTL09
Acura's had over 30 years to put itself into the luxury car conversation, and it's failed to do so. What makes you think another 5-10 years will make a difference?

If you look at Genesis's product planning, it's positioned in a way to make inroads as a legitimate luxury car brand. On the lower trim models, it's able to compete on price by offering the similar features for less money (just like Acura does). That helps with market penetration. However, at the upper end of the trim models, it flips the script and uses its features as its competitive advantage, something that Acura either does not or can not do. They're managing to offer products that hit both ends of the consumer spectrum.

On the top trim Genesis products, you are able to get features beyond what you can get from the equivalent cars from the incumbent luxury automakers, not just for the same money but period. That gives the entire model line bonafide luxury chops and gives it a chance at becoming aspirational, something that Acura frankly is not. If someone buys a decked-out Genesis and is asked why they didn't buy a BMW or Audi or Mercedes, they can legitimately say, "Well, I couldn't get these features on those other cars. Period". An Acura buyer can only say "Well, it's better value". On a top trim TLX you can't even get power folding mirrors or a digital dash, features that you can find on mainstream brands. And don't even think about real luxury features on an Acura.

That's why I think within 10 years if Genesis can set up a strong dealership network they will do what Lexus has done and blow by Acura when it comes to being a luxury automaker. Acura still might do better in sales because it plays at the low end of the market, but I think consumer sentiment will see Genesis as more of a luxury car than Acura. The people currently lining up to buy a $50K Telluride are going to need to upgrade sooner or later. If people are willing to pay $50K for a Kia...a KIA, something tells me they're not going to have a problem paying a little bit more for a Genesis. It may not be as performance oriented as Acura, but neither is Lexus, and Acura wishes it could move cars like the way Lexus can.

Last edited by fiatlux; 07-09-2021 at 11:33 AM.
The following 6 users liked this post by fiatlux:
04WDPSeDaN (07-11-2021), BEAR-AvHistory (07-10-2021), leomio2.0 (07-10-2021), pyrodan007 (07-09-2021), sonyfever (07-10-2021), sweeT n Lo (08-25-2021) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-09-2021, 11:52 AM
Burning Brakes

^^ Not to mention GV70 sales slowly starting to eat away at Acura's RDX figures. The reviews coming in are extremely positive, and it already has a V6T option. No Type-S marketing BS, it's there from day 1.
Old 07-09-2021, 11:53 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by pyrodan007
^^ Not to mention GV70 sales slowly starting to eat away at Acura's RDX figures. The reviews coming in are extremely positive, and it already has a V6T option. No Type-S marketing BS, it's there from day 1.
The fact that Genesis is able to sell anything without any semblence of a dealership network right now is pretty impressive. I see virtually zero Genesis cars in my area, and I attribute that entirely to the fact that Genesis dealerships don't exist, and the only way to get one currently is to go to a Hyundai dealership in one of the "less desirable" areas at least half an hour away. Elitist or not, that's the demographic that buys luxury cars.
The following 3 users liked this post by fiatlux:
BEAR-AvHistory (07-10-2021), ELIN (07-10-2021), pyrodan007 (07-09-2021)
Old 07-09-2021, 12:15 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,172 Likes on 2,590 Posts
Many here are too young to remember this 1969 Civic.

FWIW I remember the 1G Civic (I worked on a few) but it debuted in 1972 and that pic is of the 1975 Civic (first year with the CVCC engine).
Honda started in US 1969 with the N600, a even smaller car with a air cooled two cylinder that rev'ed to 9K. While that sounds impressive, it was as slow as a VW Bug.

Last edited by Legend2TL; 07-09-2021 at 12:21 PM.
BEAR-AvHistory (07-10-2021)
Old 07-09-2021, 12:49 PM
Three Wheelin'

The fact that Genesis is able to sell anything without any semblence of a dealership network right now is pretty impressive. I see virtually zero Genesis cars in my area, and I attribute that entirely to the fact that Genesis dealerships don't exist, and the only way to get one currently is to go to a Hyundai dealership in one of the "less desirable" areas at least half an hour away. Elitist or not, that's the demographic that buys luxury cars.
I agree that it’s hurting them. The dealer I bought from told me they are building a new building exclusively for Genesis. Sadly (IMHO) they are building on the same site as the current Hyundai’s. It’s a decent part of town, but I still think it’s not enough. Genesis needs to subsidize dealers to build a standalone site near other high end cars.
The following 2 users liked this post by jjsC5:
BEAR-AvHistory (07-10-2021), pyrodan007 (07-09-2021)
Old 07-10-2021, 12:44 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 389 Likes on 271 Posts
Acura's had over 30 years to put itself into the luxury car conversation, and it's failed to do so. What makes you think another 5-10 years will make a difference?

If you look at Genesis's product planning, it's positioned in a way to make inroads as a legitimate luxury car brand. On the lower trim models, it's able to compete on price by offering the similar features for less money (just like Acura does). That helps with market penetration. However, at the upper end of the trim models, it flips the script and uses its features as its competitive advantage, something that Acura either does not or can not do. They're managing to offer products that hit both ends of the consumer spectrum.

On the top trim Genesis products, you are able to get features beyond what you can get from the equivalent cars from the incumbent luxury automakers, not just for the same money but period. That gives the entire model line bonafide luxury chops and gives it a chance at becoming aspirational, something that Acura frankly is not. If someone buys a decked-out Genesis and is asked why they didn't buy a BMW or Audi or Mercedes, they can legitimately say, "Well, I couldn't get these features on those other cars. Period". An Acura buyer can only say "Well, it's better value". On a top trim TLX you can't even get power folding mirrors or a digital dash, features that you can find on mainstream brands. And don't even think about real luxury features on an Acura.

That's why I think within 10 years if Genesis can set up a strong dealership network they will do what Lexus has done and blow by Acura when it comes to being a luxury automaker. Acura still might do better in sales because it plays at the low end of the market, but I think consumer sentiment will see Genesis as more of a luxury car than Acura. The people currently lining up to buy a $50K Telluride are going to need to upgrade sooner or later. If people are willing to pay $50K for a Kia...a KIA, something tells me they're not going to have a problem paying a little bit more for a Genesis. It may not be as performance oriented as Acura, but neither is Lexus, and Acura wishes it could move cars like the way Lexus can.
Totally agree, the Koreans mean business with Genesis. I would say Genesis already have overtaken Acura. Acura missed the chance of going global, and therefore will always need to live under the shadow of Honda. Nothing wrong with that business decision, and I am sure there will still be enough people looking for Honda++ products for Acura to hang in there, but if you want the best in any area, then Acura won't cut it.

I have been seeing a lot of new Genesis lately, mainly GV80 and one GV70. I am really impressed by how they cover luxury and sportiness in the GV70 lineup, and look forward to where the brand will be in the next couple of years.
BEAR-AvHistory (07-10-2021)
Old 07-10-2021, 05:12 AM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,317 Posts
I saw the GV70 in person and they are absolutely stunning!

Last edited by 04WDPSeDaN; 07-10-2021 at 05:14 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 04WDPSeDaN:
CheeseyPoofs McNut (07-10-2021), vhtran (07-10-2021)
Old 07-10-2021, 06:03 AM
Cruisin'

Well… after going deep down the rabbit hole on this segment of cars I’ve now added a (used) m340i to the mix, making my decision even more difficult…

A new Type S and a new G70 AWD Sport Prestige are the exact same price, but the latter in Mallorca Blue is much harder to find (though I did find a few if I want to pay to have it shipped to me). It’s really no contest in terms of features and performance between the two of these: the G70 has nearly every advantage. I do like the aggressive look of the Type S better, and feel more
confident about its resale value.

But there’s a certified 2020 m340i locally with low miles for the same price, also in blue… No question about resale value there. I’m really torn, ugh 😩
Old 07-10-2021, 07:06 AM
Burning Brakes

Well… after going deep down the rabbit hole on this segment of cars I’ve now added a (used) m340i to the mix, making my decision even more difficult…

A new Type S and a new G70 AWD Sport Prestige are the exact same price, but the latter in Mallorca Blue is much harder to find (though I did find a few if I want to pay to have it shipped to me). It’s really no contest in terms of features and performance between the two of these: the G70 has nearly every advantage. I do like the aggressive look of the Type S better, and feel more

But there’s a certified 2020 m340i locally with low miles for the same price, also in blue… No question about resale value there. I’m really torn, ugh 😩
I think the M340i has a little more room inside. If the options are good, I would go for that one as well. Good luck!
04WDPSeDaN (07-10-2021)
Old 07-10-2021, 08:01 AM
Three Wheelin'

Yes, the M340 does have more room. And the engine is fabulous. Good luck with whatever you decide. I’ll debate how much I like my G70 all day long. But the truth is that the cars we are talking about are all very good cars. Just different
The following 3 users liked this post by jjsC5:
04WDPSeDaN (07-10-2021), BEAR-AvHistory (07-10-2021), silverTL6 (07-14-2021)
Old 07-10-2021, 10:09 AM
Drifting

Received 1,246 Likes on 904 Posts
I'm one of those who would seriously consider Genesis if they had a standalone dealership closer to where I live. Same with KIA for that matter. I'll probably need a third car in a few years...
The following 3 users liked this post by ELIN:
04WDPSeDaN (07-10-2021), BEAR-AvHistory (07-10-2021), jjsC5 (07-10-2021)
Old 07-11-2021, 09:56 AM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,317 Posts

Nothing to be torn about, get the M340i and have a true performance sedan. The B58 is an incredible engine.
The following 2 users liked this post by 04WDPSeDaN:
BEAR-AvHistory (07-12-2021), one4all (07-13-2021)
Old 07-11-2021, 12:46 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,146 Likes on 818 Posts

How long do you expect to keep the car for ?
Old 07-11-2021, 02:13 PM
Advanced

Received 44 Likes on 21 Posts
I'm sure the Korean cars have come a long way, but I remember when my friend bought a brand new Tiburon, and either the plastic cover for the guage cluster or something else from the dask creaks as you drive it.

To make it worse, the dealer didn't even bother to fix it. Sorry, hard pass from that experience alone.

Quick Reply: Trying to decide: Type S vs G70