Old 07-11-2021, 04:44 PM

Received 16,266 Likes on 11,974 Posts
Trying to decide: Type S vs G70-sbrkemp.gif
The following users liked this post:
04WDPSeDaN (07-11-2021)
Old 07-11-2021, 05:17 PM
Intermediate

Received 82 Likes on 26 Posts
I've been sitting back the last couple weeks watching all the hype about the Type S and realizing that reality isn't fully living up to the hype. I remember driving home the night I traded in my 535xi for my Acura TLX A-Spec and wondering if I had made a mistake. My BMW was bigger, faster and smoother driving than the car I was driving home in. After driving my TLX for the last couple months, I've gotta say that it doesn't really bother me that it isn't quite as fast as the competition. I would like for it to be 300 lbs lighter with another 30 hp....but the car drives just fine as it is. The same thing is going to be the case for the vast majority of Type S owners. Sure, the G70 might beat it in a race....but it's got a god awful front grill and it just doesn't like as good as the Acura. If you aren't lining up in a drag race, a Type S is plenty fast.

Every time I see the Genesis logo, I can't help but think it's a Chrysler logo and that the car is secretly a piece of junk. I like the symmetry and looks of the TLX a lot more than the G70. I never drove the G70 since the 2.0L version wasn't on my interest list and there were no 3.3L in the area at the time, but the TLX drives great. My BMW was smooth on the road, but it was kind of a whale. The TLX feels smaller and lighter in comparison and it turns and corners incredibly well for a relatively heavy car.

At the end of the day, I think people should be buying these cars based on what makes them feel better as they are walking up to them, sitting down....and driving on a daily basis and worrying less about whether or not the G70 with the 3.3L is 0.2 seconds faster 0-60. Both cars are ridiculously fast and would crush the supercars of yesteryear. Fretting about fractions of a second in performance is kind of dumb.
The following 3 users liked this post by flatlandtlx:
Furnace (07-13-2021), Honda430 (07-11-2021), silverTL6 (07-14-2021)
Old 07-11-2021, 08:06 PM
Instructor

Received 117 Likes on 35 Posts
I agree, I’ve been going back and fourth between the G70 and the Type S… this is an Acura forum so I’m going to just own up and say, to me the Type S looks better and will be a good all around car. The G70 surround view is killer tho.
Old 07-11-2021, 09:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by flatlandtlx
I've been sitting back the last couple weeks watching all the hype about the Type S and realizing that reality isn't fully living up to the hype. I remember driving home the night I traded in my 535xi for my Acura TLX A-Spec and wondering if I had made a mistake. My BMW was bigger, faster and smoother driving than the car I was driving home in. After driving my TLX for the last couple months, I've gotta say that it doesn't really bother me that it isn't quite as fast as the competition. I would like for it to be 300 lbs lighter with another 30 hp....but the car drives just fine as it is. The same thing is going to be the case for the vast majority of Type S owners. Sure, the G70 might beat it in a race....but it's got a god awful front grill and it just doesn't like as good as the Acura. If you aren't lining up in a drag race, a Type S is plenty fast.

Every time I see the Genesis logo, I can't help but think it's a Chrysler logo and that the car is secretly a piece of junk. I like the symmetry and looks of the TLX a lot more than the G70. I never drove the G70 since the 2.0L version wasn't on my interest list and there were no 3.3L in the area at the time, but the TLX drives great. My BMW was smooth on the road, but it was kind of a whale. The TLX feels smaller and lighter in comparison and it turns and corners incredibly well for a relatively heavy car.

At the end of the day, I think people should be buying these cars based on what makes them feel better as they are walking up to them, sitting down....and driving on a daily basis and worrying less about whether or not the G70 with the 3.3L is 0.2 seconds faster 0-60. Both cars are ridiculously fast and would crush the supercars of yesteryear. Fretting about fractions of a second in performance is kind of dumb.
The G70 3.3 with sport package is not just about being fast. It’s a hell of a car. If you have not driven one don’t act like you know it’s an inferior car. I don’t care if you decide not to buy one for whatever reason floats your boat. I love mine, but I have not said a word here about whether or not it’s a better car than the TLX because I have not driven the TLX.

Last edited by jjsC5; 07-11-2021 at 09:07 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by jjsC5:
vhtran (07-13-2021), YEH (07-13-2021)
Old 07-11-2021, 09:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 498 Likes on 249 Posts
Originally Posted by jjsC5
The G70 3.3 with sport package is not just about being fast. It’s a hell of a car. If you have not driven one don’t act like you know it’s an inferior car. I don’t care if you decide not to buy one for whatever reason floats your boat. I love mine, but I have not said a word here about whether or not it’s a better car than the TLX because I have not driven the TLX.
I think both cars are good. They arent the fastest but IMHO the best looking two in their respective class. Both would make fun daily drivers.
Old 07-11-2021, 10:03 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jjsC5
If you read my post.....I didn't say that the G70 is inferior. I said that their badge is too similar to Chrysler for my looking and my distaste for terrible Chrysler cars tinges my opinion of the Genesis. I don't like the front end of the Genesis and although it's not as bad as the buck toothed look of the new BMW's, I just don't like the front of the car. The interior of the G70 isn't bad, but I think the Acura is better. Obviously subjective.

FWIW, although I didn't express it well, I said that people need to look at these cars and pick which one works for them as a daily driver....not a drag car. Worrying about fractions of a second is a losing cause because there is always something faster if you are shopping in the TLX/G70 price range.
Old 07-12-2021, 07:51 AM
Three Wheelin'

If you read my post.....I didn't say that the G70 is inferior. I said that their badge is too similar to Chrysler for my looking and my distaste for terrible Chrysler cars tinges my opinion of the Genesis. I don't like the front end of the Genesis and although it's not as bad as the buck toothed look of the new BMW's, I just don't like the front of the car. The interior of the G70 isn't bad, but I think the Acura is better. Obviously subjective.

FWIW, although I didn't express it well, I said that people need to look at these cars and pick which one works for them as a daily driver....not a drag car. Worrying about fractions of a second is a losing cause because there is always something faster if you are shopping in the TLX/G70 price range.
Maybe I took your comments wrong, but here is what you said that I think made me respond the way I did "Every time I see the Genesis logo, I can't help but think it's a Chrysler logo and that the car is secretly a piece of junk"
Old 07-13-2021, 01:43 AM
YEH
Burning Brakes

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts
If you read my post.....I didn't say that the G70 is inferior. I said that their badge is too similar to Chrysler for my looking and my distaste for terrible Chrysler cars tinges my opinion of the Genesis. range.

The Genesis wings are much closer in shape to Aston's or Bentley's wings than they are to Chrysler's - which are a lot thinner than those 3.

Think your bias is affecting how you see things in more ways than one.

That being said, don't exactly care for the design of the Genesis wings.
BEAR-AvHistory (07-13-2021)
Old 07-13-2021, 08:53 PM
Intermediate

Received 74 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by dasman
I was so stoked for the Type S in that delicious blue... but then I started researching the G70, and Genesis just offers so many more amenities (including free (valet!) service), *much* better tech (360 camera in 2022... really Acura? No rear USB???), plus the G70 gets astounding reviews all around, especially the 2022. Price is pretty much identical (around $53K). I'm a longtime Honda/Acura guy and I know Genesis is made by Hyundai, but it's getting reviews (and has for a few years) from literally everyone putting it just shy of the BMW 345i, for thousands less ... anyone else in the same boat / have any thoughts?
Hi All,

First post, but relevant to this conversation. Earlier in the week I test drove a bunch of vehicles (wont bother listing them) but today I narrowed down my search to both the Type S and '22 G70 3.3T Sport. FYI...I am in Canada.

The Acura dealership "let" me take the car on a very short test drive. The Genesis dealer gave me the keys for two hours and said have fun and really work the thing to get a good feel for it. I was really leaning towards the Genesis at this point. However, a few things become apparent.

- The build quality of the Type-S (and likely TLX too) seemed better than the Genesis. The doors opened and closed more firmly. The touch-points (hands, elbows, wrists) were more luxurious. The buttons and knobs were superior. The steering felt better. The vehicle itself just felt more premium.
- The road noise was noticeably higher in the Genesis. Either the air moving around the car or the noise from the tires on the road. Couldn't quite tell.
- The interior was especially cramped inside the Genesis. Yes, the Type-S is a larger vehicle overall, but I'm 6'-3" and when the seat was adjusted to a comfortable driving position, my head touched the roof liner ever so often. I'm a thin guy, but anyone with some girth will definitely feel cramped in the Genesis. The Type-S definitely felt more spacious.
- The interior of the Genesis felt a little too "Kia" for me. Many of the buttons are the same as the ones in the Kia Optima and Stinger. They just felt cheaper than the TLX's and seem as though they will wear quicker over time.
- Driving both cars, I think I might have to lean towards the Genesis. It felt a little quicker and I preferred the programing of the transmission over the TLX's.

Ultimately, I ended up going with the Type-S. Why? Well, 99% of driving is commuting or shuffling kids around to their sports. The slight performance gain of the Genesis was offset by the other things I listed above. For me, the Type-S is the perfect blend between family sedan and sports car.

Delivery of my 2021 TLX Type-S in Apex Blue Pearl is this Friday. Can't wait!

Hope this helps.

The following 10 users liked this post by Furnace:
a35tl (07-13-2021), BBRL (08-08-2021), Camaro194 (07-13-2021), Honda430 (07-13-2021), jhb31 (07-13-2021), Legend2TL (07-14-2021), Pens Fan (07-14-2021), silverTL6 (07-14-2021), Terdbath (07-21-2021), TLXinTX (07-13-2021) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-13-2021, 09:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 388 Likes on 227 Posts
Originally Posted by Furnace
Hi All,

First post, but relevant to this conversation. Earlier in the week I test drove a bunch of vehicles (wont bother listing them) but today I narrowed down my search to both the Type S and '22 G70 3.3T Sport. FYI...I am in Canada.

The Acura dealership "let" me take the car on a very short test drive. The Genesis dealer gave me the keys for two hours and said have fun and really work the thing to get a good feel for it. I was really leaning towards the Genesis at this point. However, a few things become apparent.

- The build quality of the Type-S (and likely TLX too) seemed better than the Genesis. The doors opened and closed more firmly. The touch-points (hands, elbows, wrists) were more luxurious. The buttons and knobs were superior. The steering felt better. The vehicle itself just felt more premium.
- The road noise was noticeably higher in the Genesis. Either the air moving around the car or the noise from the tires on the road. Couldn't quite tell.
- The interior was especially cramped inside the Genesis. Yes, the Type-S is a larger vehicle overall, but I'm 6'-3" and when the seat was adjusted to a comfortable driving position, my head touched the roof liner ever so often. I'm a thin guy, but anyone with some girth will definitely feel cramped in the Genesis. The Type-S definitely felt more spacious.
- The interior of the Genesis felt a little too "Kia" for me. Many of the buttons are the same as the ones in the Kia Optima and Stinger. They just felt cheaper than the TLX's and seem as though they will wear quicker over time.
- Driving both cars, I think I might have to lean towards the Genesis. It felt a little quicker and I preferred the programing of the transmission over the TLX's.

Ultimately, I ended up going with the Type-S. Why? Well, 99% of driving is commuting or shuffling kids around to their sports. The slight performance gain of the Genesis was offset by the other things I listed above. For me, the Type-S is the perfect blend between family sedan and sports car.

Hope this helps.
Congrats on your purchase. I would have gone the same way between the two every time. Plus you won't take as huge of a hit on depreciation down the road.
Old 07-13-2021, 10:02 PM
Instructor

Thank you!!! Went Type S as well.
Old 07-14-2021, 08:58 AM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi All,

Hope this helps.
Can you say what you paid?
Old 07-14-2021, 09:12 AM
Some Guy Who Loves Cars

Received 280 Likes on 173 Posts
Originally Posted by 04WDPSeDaN
I saw the GV70 in person and they are absolutely stunning!
I wasn't really following this thread, but when I saw your post and the pictures, I agreed and thought the GV70 looked like an F-Pace. I doubt that is unintentional and probably indicative of the SUV that Genesis is emulating, and at what, around 100% better reliability?
04WDPSeDaN (07-14-2021)
Old 07-14-2021, 09:15 AM
Instructor

Mine with Y spokes (swapping tires) and destination is $55,444 before tax.
Old 07-14-2021, 11:01 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Thought they were doing a Bentley knockoff when I first saw the wings.
Old 07-14-2021, 11:15 AM
Safety Car

Received 3,436 Likes on 1,884 Posts
Genesis logo is way closer to the Bentley logo than it is to the Chrysler logo. But maybe it's recency bias; I see way more Bentleys here than I see Chryslers...even when you include the Pacifica.
Old 07-14-2021, 04:54 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by someguy11
I wasn't really following this thread, but when I saw your post and the pictures, I agreed and thought the GV70 looked like an F-Pace. I doubt that is unintentional and probably indicative of the SUV that Genesis is emulating, and at what, around 100% better reliability?
Yeah man, they were absolutely stunning in person! All the attention to details was insane! I hope they sell a shit ton of them.
Old 07-15-2021, 02:46 AM
Intermediate

Can you say what you paid?
Sure! I'm pretty sure I overpaid, but MSRP was $61,367 (Base + Mats, Cold Weather Pkg).

I paid $63,195. Nearly $2k over MSRP. There were 5 allotted to my dealership, with mine being the last one.

The information I gleaned from the other Type-S sales were the cars were being sold with a $4k ADM. This is in Edmonton, Alberta Canada.

It would be awesome to see what others (especially from Canada) are paying.

In the end, if I was taken, so be it. I'm comfortable what I paid for the vehicle.
Old 07-15-2021, 09:15 AM
Drifting

Received 1,262 Likes on 917 Posts
Sure! I'm pretty sure I overpaid, but MSRP was $61,367 (Base + Mats, Cold Weather Pkg).

I paid $63,195. Nearly $2k over MSRP. There were 5 allotted to my dealership, with mine being the last one.

The information I gleaned from the other Type-S sales were the cars were being sold with a $4k ADM. This is in Edmonton, Alberta Canada.

In the end, if I was taken, so be it. I'm comfortable what I paid for the vehicle.
I thought ADM was not allowed in Canada?!!!
Old 07-15-2021, 09:19 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 361 Posts
Originally Posted by ELIN
I thought ADM was not allowed in Canada?!!!
I don't think it's not allowed, but full price has to be shown upfront. Zero hidden fees, that's the law in Quebec at least (sticker price rules all). There goes the no adm theory in Canada ...
ELIN (07-15-2021)
Old 07-15-2021, 10:30 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by pyrodan007
I don't think it's not allowed, but full price has to be shown upfront. Zero hidden fees, that's the law in Quebec at least (sticker price rules all). There goes the no adm theory in Canada ...
Agreed. It's not NOT allowed, but they had removed the sticker and were selling them at whatever price they could.

From what I understand, a couple of the cars went to folks who put a deposit down right when Acura made registering online available. The other three sold to people who happened to be right time right place.

I did not have a deposit down, but I had been emailing since last year about it. Once a blue or white one was available, they called. Between the day I called and then two days later booked a test drive, they had 2-3 people come in ready to purchase. One tried, but failed to get financial approval. The other 1-2 people tried paying cash, but the dealership basically wanted their cake and eat it too. Sell with an ADM plus financing to get that kickback as well. I told them I'd finance so they could get their money, but will pay off the car in a few months.
Old 07-15-2021, 11:10 AM
Drifting

Sell with an ADM plus financing to get that kickback as well. I told them I'd finance so they could get their money, but will pay off the car in a few months.
Well, at least we know some Canadians will be having a nice vacation paid by car sales! ADM is pure profit!
Old 07-15-2021, 12:33 PM
Intermediate

If you paid $63k in Canadian Dollars....you got a good deal.
Old 07-15-2021, 12:46 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Agreed. It's not NOT allowed, but they had removed the sticker and were selling them at whatever price they could.
Did that add stuff, nitrogen, ceramic coating etc to the MSRP?
Old 07-15-2021, 03:01 PM
Advanced

Received 44 Likes on 21 Posts
yeah, are you including document fees and stuff to that $63K price? Extended warranty to tires? Financing fees?
Old 07-15-2021, 05:45 PM
Air Vice Marshal

Received 300 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally Posted by Legend2TL
FWIW I remember the 1G Civic (I worked on a few) but it debuted in 1972 and that pic is of the 1975 Civic (first year with the CVCC engine).
Honda started in US 1969 with the N600, a even smaller car with a air cooled two cylinder that rev'ed to 9K. While that sounds impressive, it was as slow as a VW Bug.
It was also chain drive. The first Honda car I ever saw, it was at my local Honda motorcycle dealer where I had recently purchased a CB750K1 to replace my '68 CB-350 that had been stolen.
Old 07-20-2021, 12:50 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Did that add stuff, nitrogen, ceramic coating etc to the MSRP?
They added the mats, security etching, warranty for tires and keys. I paid for 3M on front bumper & hood separately . I also paid for ceramic coating seperately.
Old 07-20-2021, 12:52 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by whiteGSR
yeah, are you including document fees and stuff to that $63K price? Extended warranty to tires? Financing fees?
Nope. I had them remove fees.

I did add 3M, tint, ceramic coating after the fact. I've also ordered the side skirt as well, but that isn't scheduled to arrive until mid-August.

I don't know what financing fees are, but there was none of that.
Old 07-20-2021, 03:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 562 Likes on 293 Posts
Exactly 49,000 is a great deal
Old 07-20-2021, 03:50 PM
Drifting

I'm not sure how paying 2k CAD over MSRP is a good deal but I don't think too many will agree with that. 2k will easily get you the sideskirts and some other accessories, no? It'll definitely get you the CF spoiler (part only).
Old 07-20-2021, 04:06 PM
Advanced

Received 44 Likes on 21 Posts
I'm not sure how paying 2k CAD over MSRP is a good deal but I don't think too many will agree with that. 2k will easily get you the sideskirts and some other accessories, no? It'll definitely get you the CF spoiler (part only).
I think people are assuming that he paid over MSRP similar to how ADM is charged. No he paid MSRP and then he just got conned into "security etching, warranty for tires and keys" for that extra $2K. This is similar to how dealers would charge for adding pinstripes.
Old 07-20-2021, 04:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

Seeing as how this is a Type S versus G70 thread, I get to point out again that three months ago I got a $6,000 discount with NO other bullshit added on a totally loaded G70 3.3T Sport
Old 07-20-2021, 04:33 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by whiteGSR
I think people are assuming that he paid over MSRP similar to how ADM is charged. No he paid MSRP and then he just got conned into "security etching, warranty for tires and keys" for that extra $2K. This is similar to how dealers would charge for adding pinstripes.
To this day, I've never paid for window etching and always have the dealer remove that cost from the contract. I guess there are still folks that still fall for that sort of thing.

I agree with the tire insurance (it includes wheel, right?) but insurance on the key fob is a waste of money.

Furnace, can you confirm this was tire and wheel insurance ("Tire and Rim Road Hazard") and not a warranty, which everyone gets for free on brand new cars?

Last edited by ELIN; 07-20-2021 at 04:37 PM.
Old 07-20-2021, 06:14 PM
Pro

Received 542 Likes on 265 Posts
To this day, I've never paid for window etching and always have the dealer remove that cost from the contract. I guess there are still folks that still fall for that sort of thing.

I agree with the tire insurance (it includes wheel, right?) but insurance on the key fob is a waste of money.

Furnace, can you confirm this was tire and wheel insurance ("Tire and Rim Road Hazard") and not a warranty, which everyone gets for free on brand new cars?
Given the low supply and his location, I'm going to assume that dealer would not budge on those fees. No one forced him to close on it. Some people need a car and they don't want to or can't wait till 2022. Supply is low for other brands as well. Market is just a mess right now.
Old 07-21-2021, 12:40 AM
Intermediate

Confirmed. It was insurance.
ELIN (07-21-2021)
Old 07-21-2021, 12:54 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dmski
Given the low supply and his location, I'm going to assume that dealer would not budge on those fees. No one forced him to close on it. Some people need a car and they don't want to or can't wait till 2022. Supply is low for other brands as well. Market is just a mess right now.
Yup. The market is a mess everywhere right now. I manage a global supply chain for an international company. The world is experiencing unprecedented labour and material shortages right now with pricing and availability being absolutely nuts. This applies to all materials and commodities. It is not likely to reach equilibrium until sometime in 2022. Hopefully sooner rather than later.

Regarding how much I paid. Yes, the dealer wouldn't budge on fees. I was fully aware of what they were charging and where. We agreed to reduce the price to a point I was comfortable with.

At the end of the day, I was paying more than MSRP and was OK with that. I value the purchase and am extremely happy thus far.
Old 07-29-2021, 08:50 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,237 Likes on 2,617 Posts
Review: 2022 Genesis G70 3.3T Sport - Unbeatable Sport Sedan Value!

MM does a new G70 review, compares against the Type-S many times in the review for various parameters especially in handling and features/price.

Old 07-29-2021, 08:55 AM
Drifting

Edmunds has a review up:

https://www.edmunds.com/genesis/g70/

The Launch Edition combines the Advanced and Prestige Packages, which includes items not found in the US Type S like:

Heated steering wheel
Head-up display
360-degree camera system
Blind-Spot View Monitor
Old 07-29-2021, 09:07 AM
9th Gear

Received 42 Likes on 3 Posts
I was so stoked for the Type S in that delicious blue... but then I started researching the G70, and Genesis just offers so many more amenities (including free (valet!) service), *much* better tech (360 camera in 2022... really Acura? No rear USB???), plus the G70 gets astounding reviews all around, especially the 2022. Price is pretty much identical (around $53K). I'm a longtime Honda/Acura guy and I know Genesis is made by Hyundai, but it's getting reviews (and has for a few years) from literally everyone putting it just shy of the BMW 345i, for thousands less ... anyone else in the same boat / have any thoughts?
I test drove both of these cars and it would be tight but I'd lean slightly towards the G70 purely for the driving dynamics. Quick summary from the test drive

G70 3.3T Pros

Better steering, acceleration, overall performance. Interior leather and design/construction feels higher quality, better infotainment.

Type S Pros

Exterior design, nicer wheel options, better exhaust note and ELS audio.

Also the gauge cluster and this is a big one for me. While I would prefer a full digital cluster on both, the half digital half analog setup on the '22 G70 looks ultra cheap like a Nissan Versa. This is especially egregious since they have full digital options offered on the same car in other markets.
Old 07-29-2021, 09:09 AM
Pro

Received 542 Likes on 265 Posts
G70 is already in refresh stage with their G70. Acura will do the same sooner or later with Type S. Canada got everything included except for the HUD. They should have allowed customers to customize their cars and give them an option to customize it and capitalize on it.

Quick Reply: Trying to decide: Type S vs G70