Predictive blind spot monitoring?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2023, 08:33 AM
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Predictive blind spot monitoring?

Hi all, hope this message finds you in good health; I知 shopping for a TLX Type S and I was wondering if the blind spot monitoring was predictive.
I知 coming from a B9 Audi S4 and the blind spot can tell if a fast moving car will hit me or not despite it not being in the actual blind spot yet, (I believe range is around 100 meters) and alerts me accordingly. Does the Type S have this? It痴 one of the only thing痴 keeping me from pulling the trigger - that, and the Birds Eye view camera.
Old 08-19-2023, 11:14 AM
Drifting

Received 1,273 Likes on 927 Posts
I don't think any Acura has what you're looking for. I only have this on my Benz w/the Driving Assistance Package.

The equivalent DAP on Acuras is far more pedestrian than the Germans (IMHO). The Acura versions are more to check off boxes to say "look we have this too and that makes us a far better value"!
Old 08-19-2023, 12:11 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by ELIN
I don't think any Acura has what you're looking for. I only have this on my Benz w/the Driving Assistance Package.

The equivalent DAP on Acuras is far more pedestrian than the Germans (IMHO). The Acura versions are more to check off boxes to say "look we have this too and that makes us a far better value"!
thanks for replying, I was wondering because this video from Acura Canada made it seem like the system worked similarly to the Germans. I致e gotten so used to looking at just the light that I rarely check the tiny mirror the S4 comes with that i was pleasantly surprise by the tlxs beautifully large mirrors.

link to video in case you池e curious
Old 08-19-2023, 12:25 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Struon2002
thanks for replying, I was wondering because this video from Acura Canada made it seem like the system worked similarly to the Germans. I致e gotten so used to looking at just the light that I rarely check the tiny mirror the S4 comes with that i was pleasantly surprise by the tlxs beautifully large mirrors.

link to video in case you池e curious
https://youtu.be/1a4vkLJK5ok
Can稚 say I was impressed by the TLX BSI when I had it. Wonder if it痴 the same tech that got pulled from Accords due to supply chain issues?
Old 08-19-2023, 12:38 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,294 Likes on 2,649 Posts
Hi all, hope this message finds you in good health; I知 shopping for a TLX Type S and I was wondering if the blind spot monitoring was predictive.
I知 coming from a B9 Audi S4 and the blind spot can tell if a fast moving car will hit me or not despite it not being in the actual blind spot yet, (I believe range is around 100 meters) and alerts me accordingly. Does the Type S have this? It痴 one of the only thing痴 keeping me from pulling the trigger - that, and the Birds Eye view camera.
Here's a brief video of the Acura system which sounds like the Honda system in Honda's. I can attest that our 2017 CR-V it does as you stated, when backing up it'll beep and the side moving video can be quite far away (~50-60')

https://www.acura.com/cars/tlx/features click on SAFETY TECHNOLOGY. In essence all blind spot monitoring is predictive that I've seen, they are looking at radar returns that are closing in range but not stationary returns.

Old 08-19-2023, 12:59 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Legend2TL
Here's a brief video of the Acura system which sounds like the Honda system in Honda's. I can attest that our 2017 CR-V it does as you stated, when backing up it'll beep and the side moving video can be quite far away (~50-60')

https://www.acura.com/cars/tlx/features click on SAFETY TECHNOLOGY. In essence all blind spot monitoring is predictive that I've seen, they are looking at radar returns that are closing in range but not stationary returns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=my9H...el=AcuraCanada
Thank you for the answer. Just to confirm, it does have predictive blind spot monitoring; meaning despite a vehicle not being in your direct blind spot the system will still alert you if the vehicle is speeding towards you from adjacent lanes even from far away.
I'm only asking because coming from Audi I've learned to rely and trust the monitors a lot and they're predictive and do so very accurately.
The following users liked this post:
bilirubin (09-25-2023)
Old 08-19-2023, 01:01 PM
8th Gear

Can稚 say I was impressed by the TLX BSI when I had it. Wonder if it痴 the same tech that got pulled from Accords due to supply chain issues?
Perhaps, I do hypothesize that the type s didn't get the 360 cam and all the advanced goodies due to the covid; we will see when the mid cycle refresh comes along which I think will be in a year or two? Not too sure.
Old 08-19-2023, 01:18 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,294 Likes on 2,649 Posts
Thank you for the answer. Just to confirm, it does have predictive blind spot monitoring; meaning despite a vehicle not being in your direct blind spot the system will still alert you if the vehicle is speeding towards you from adjacent lanes even from far away.
I'm only asking because coming from Audi I've learned to rely and trust the monitors a lot and they're predictive and do so very accurately.

Yes, all upper TLX models (Technology, A-Spec, Advance, Type-S) but the base have Blind Spot Information and Rear Cross Traffic Monitor systems. Perhaps the MMC will incorporate the 360 camera into the Type-S for next year.

Rear Cross Traffic Monitor
Included in the Technology Package, the Rear Cross Traffic Monitor works in conjunction with the BSI radar sensors to enhance driver confidence when backing up. The system is especially useful when reversing in congested parking lots with an obstructed view from driver's seat.

The system utilizes a pair of blind-spot radar units located in the rear bumper corners. When Reverse is selected and an approaching vehicle is detected, arrows indicating the approaching vehicles direction are shown on the 10.2-inch display's rear camera image. Simultaneously, an audible warning is emitted if cross-traffic is approaching from either side.

Blind Spot Information
The blind Spot Information (BSI) system, included in the Technology Package, uses two radar sensors to continually monitor conditions behind the TLX and alert the driver if another vehicle is detected in close proximity – especially in the blind spot of the driver. The BSI system uses the LED indicators mounted on the A-pillar and an audible warning to alert the driver.

There are two warning levels: 1) If a vehicle is detected in the driver's blind spot then the LED indicator on the incoming side illuminates; and 2) If a vehicle is detected and the TLX turn signal is activated, the LED indicator on the incoming side blinks and a buzzer sounds three times. To prevent false alarms while maneuvering at low speed, the BSI system is disabled below approximately 20 mph.
https://acuranews.com/en-US/releases...​​

Last edited by Legend2TL; 08-19-2023 at 01:23 PM.
Old 08-20-2023, 08:28 AM
Drifting

Considering an Acura insider already mentioned the Advance won't be offered for MY24, the other trims better have the 360 camera for the first time!
Old 08-20-2023, 11:33 AM
Drifting

Perhaps, I do hypothesize that the type s didn't get the 360 cam and all the advanced goodies due to the covid; we will see when the mid cycle refresh comes along which I think will be in a year or two? Not too sure.
I don't think it was COVID related. I picked up my '21 TLX back in the Fall of 2020 and you better believe the trims and features were already decided before the Pandemic. I do think Acura is slow rolling the features so that the MMC would have some compelling features to keep potential owners/leasees interested for the current generation (Canadians will be like "been there...done that"). FWIW, I still expect the MMC to happen for the upcoming MY24 models.

If Acura wants a state of the art BSI, they'll have a system similar to what's in my GLS450 where not only is there a visual prompt but the car will also make the lane change for you when it's safe (Active Lane Change Assist). Along w/Active Distance Assist DISTRONIC, my GLS has a semi-autonomous driving mode where the only thing it can't do is automatically stop at a red light or make an exit for you. Until that point, Acura's features put them solidly in the Premium category and still a ways off from Luxury. I think it's fair to say that there's nothing Acura offers safetywise that mass-market Honda doesn't already have.

Last edited by ELIN; 08-20-2023 at 11:40 AM.
Old 08-21-2023, 07:09 AM
8th Gear

[QUOTE=ELIN;16901853]I don't think it was COVID related. I picked up my '21 TLX back in the Fall of 2020 and you better believe the trims and features were already decided before the Pandemic. I do think Acura is slow rolling the features so that the MMC would have some compelling features to keep potential owners/leasees interested for the current generation (Canadians will be like "been there...done that"). FWIW, I still expect the MMC to happen for the upcoming MY24 models.

I see. Thank you for the insight; while I have you can I ask about reliability? Also Mods? If get a type s I'd like to push around 350-400whp I feel like that'd be perfect.

You mentioned in a past comment about the 24MY not having the advance package but you're confident it'll get a 360 camera and a mid cycle refresh? I think I might've misunderstood that, can you touch a little more in that?
Old 08-21-2023, 07:35 AM
Drifting

I see. Thank you for the insight; while I have you can I ask about reliability? Also Mods? If get a type s I'd like to push around 350-400whp I feel like that'd be perfect.

You mentioned in a past comment about the 24MY not having the advance package but you're confident it'll get a 360 camera and a mid cycle refresh? I think I might've misunderstood that, can you touch a little more in that?
I had an A-Spec and for the 2 years I had it, no issues w/reliability but stability of the infotainment was not the greatest. I hear the newer TLXs may have snappier processors so if that's important to you, you should keep an eye on this during a test drive! I really hope the wireless CP/AA comes to the MMC since nearly everyone has it now and I really can't live w/o it now that I have it on my X3!

There are a number of Type S owners here who can better help you w/tuning questions though I have yet to read about someone doing what you're planning. I would imagine reliability would take a hit w/the higher HP numbers.

Someone who works at a dealership confirmed the trim levels are reduced for MY24, including the removal of the Advance trim. I didn't say the other trims would get 360 camera (no one has confirmed this), just that the other trims need to step up now that the Advance trim is gone!
Old 08-21-2023, 08:02 AM
Drifting

From the insider:

Originally Posted by thedeathprojects
We SHOULD see the TLX maybe OCT/NOV? And only 3 trim levels! FWD Tech, AWD A spec, Type S. Period! and only 4 colors in the base car, and the "new" color for the TLX is Urban Gray. A Honda color similar to Liquid Carbon.

My guess on refresh: Put a proper Acura logo on the nose and lose the plastic rectangle. Wireless smartphone integration. In car alexa. And a mild bumper treatment up front (trim less grill)?? And that's about it.
Old 08-21-2023, 08:03 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,619 Likes on 976 Posts
OP - I would like to add one quick note here for your reference.

Acura makes some of the safest vehicles out there. Of course, all these techs are great and I like them as well. But god forbid when there is an accident, these gimmicks won't help. Check Acura's safety rating and you will see If you want a safe vehicle for your and your family, then Acura won't disappoint you.

Please do your research and see what fits your requirement. But Safety is Acura's top priority....Good luck in your search!
Old 08-29-2023, 05:17 AM
Pro

Received 130 Likes on 95 Posts
Nope! Germans invent all the cool stuff. Takes the Japanese a few years to realize that these features are useful.
Old 08-29-2023, 06:34 AM
Drifting

@Struon2002, what have you decided to do?
Old 08-29-2023, 06:49 AM
8th Gear

@Struon2002, what have you decided to do?
Honestly still looking. My goal is a sports car that can make good power, good looking, as well as reliable and safe. For reference I've been looking at Ftype Rs, 3.0 Supras and M240is. Ftype r is the best looking but probably worst on reliability and safety. Supra is second best looking has the most power potential and is reliable and decently safe. Type S is reliable safe and good looking but lacks power. M240 is all of those but looks the worst.
The following users liked this post:
ELIN (08-29-2023)
Old 08-29-2023, 06:50 AM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by E92Vancouver
Nope! Germans invent all the cool stuff. Takes the Japanese a few years to realize that these features are useful.
I noticed it takes a few years to trickle down but my Audi is a 2018 and it has this. It's been more than a few years for sure haha
Old 08-29-2023, 07:31 AM
Drifting

Honestly still looking. My goal is a sports car that can make good power, good looking, as well as reliable and safe. For reference I've been looking at Ftype Rs, 3.0 Supras and M240is. Ftype r is the best looking but probably worst on reliability and safety. Supra is second best looking has the most power potential and is reliable and decently safe. Type S is reliable safe and good looking but lacks power. M240 is all of those but looks the worst.
Best of luck in your search!
Old 08-29-2023, 07:48 AM
AZ Community Team

OP check this out: https://www.topspeed.com/the-most-un...acura-of-2023/
The following 2 users liked this post by Tony Pac:
Legend2TL (08-29-2023), Struon2002 (09-25-2023)
Old 09-25-2023, 10:04 AM
8th Gear

Update: got a GR Supra 3.0

Hey all. As the update says I went to an Acura dealership and they would not allow a test drive on the car. They were also marking the car up by 10k. I decided to get a used early 2021 Supra with 26k miles instead. Came out to about 15k cheaper than the Acura and it came with a 5 year 100k mile warranty and service plan up until 75k miles.

It sucks because I was and still am a fan of the Type S brand but the dealership experience was subpar at best. Mind you I had a fully optioned 2018 Audi S4 for trade and was interesting in a type s with dealer installed packages as well, so I was serious about actually going through with the deal. Truely unfortunate. But maybe in the future when I have a family I'll get a Type S as a daily.

Old 09-25-2023, 10:49 AM
Drifting

^^^^^^^^^^^
Congrats and shame on the Acura dealer for still charging ADM!
Old 09-25-2023, 12:14 PM
AZ Community Team

Beautiful car! Congrats. Enjoy! love the color, it suits the car.

Looking forward to hearing from you in the future when you get a TYPE S!
Old 09-25-2023, 12:18 PM
AZ Community Team

^^^^^^^^^^^
Congrats and shame on the Acura dealer for still charging ADM!
Unfortunately, it's today's market and also it's called the supply and demand theory At least it's mot like MB, which charges $100K for C43 with 4 cylinder LMAO! And as a result, there is no parking for clients to park and go inside the showroom Guess why? It's full of their inventory that aren't' moving!
Old 09-25-2023, 03:57 PM
Instructor

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts
Hey all. As the update says I went to an Acura dealership and they would not allow a test drive on the car. They were also marking the car up by 10k. I decided to get a used early 2021 Supra with 26k miles instead. Came out to about 15k cheaper than the Acura and it came with a 5 year 100k mile warranty and service plan up until 75k miles.

It sucks because I was and still am a fan of the Type S brand but the dealership experience was subpar at best. Mind you I had a fully optioned 2018 Audi S4 for trade and was interesting in a type s with dealer installed packages as well, so I was serious about actually going through with the deal. Truely unfortunate. But maybe in the future when I have a family I'll get a Type S as a daily.
Nice car. Why are there ADMs on Type Ss now, especially with the MMC coming? And no test drive?! Admittedly early on, dealers had to ask the factory for a demo car for test drives, since so few were available, but now? Especially you came in with an S4, so obviously used to that type of car.
Old 09-26-2023, 07:19 AM
Instructor

Received 89 Likes on 50 Posts
Shame you had such a bad experience at the dealer, but you ended up with a great car nonetheless. Enjoy!