Mirror Puddle Light Replacement Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2022, 10:50 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 539 Likes on 276 Posts
Originally Posted by mode360
I just had the dealership replace my passenger-side puddle long and noticed the driver-side is now out after I got home.

It seems like I was the very first person to bring my car in for the puddle light issue at the dealership that I purchased my Type S from (I waited over 2 months since the bulb was on back order). They weren't sure how to safely remove the mirror and replace the bulb so they also ordered a back up side-mirror housing in the event that the mirror did break when they take it apart and I wouldn't be stuck without a side mirror. Good thing that they did because they broke it and replaced the entire housing...the bad, I now have to get it PPF and ceramic coated again
I would tell the dealership that they owe you the cost for those but I’m not sure how far you’d get. A manufacturer defect caused this issue and like you I have my car with PPF/ceramic coating and wouldn’t accept anything without the car being brought back to the way I brought it in.

My car is currently at Acura with one of the fixes being my passenger side puddle light. I know my dealer has done a few of them already so I’m hoping for the best
Old 01-19-2022, 05:27 PM
AZ Community Team

Driver side bulb was replaced and works now. Passenger side stopped working once I got home. 😂
The following users liked this post:
MarcoTLX (01-19-2022)
Old 01-19-2022, 11:33 PM
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by KrylonBlue
I am fortunate that the service advisor that I work with is both an Acura enthusiast and a former technician at that dealership. When I mentioned my puddle light issue to him he knew immediately that it was a problem and advised changing it out whether the parts revised or not just so Acura hears us loud and clear.

I’ll be dropping my Type S tonight. I’ve gotten TLX loaners as of late but I wouldn’t mind an RDX. I have had them before as loaners and they’re fairly fun to drive.
Dealer called me to report the bulbs are out of stock. They ordered and will let me know when they come in. Hoping I'll get the revised part since it will be new stock.
Old 01-19-2022, 11:36 PM
Instructor

Received 137 Likes on 73 Posts
Im not getting mine fixed for at least 6-12 months. I don't care that they don't work. Techline said there is a TSB in process no ETA tho
KrylonBlue (01-20-2022)
Old 01-20-2022, 01:18 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by TypeS22
Im not getting mine fixed for at least 6-12 months. I don't care that they don't work. Techline said there is a TSB in process no ETA tho
Honestly that’s the best course of action since this issue is wide spread and the problem continues to happen despite being replaced. I’m curious to see how long my drivers side lasts now that it’s been repaired.
Old 01-20-2022, 06:40 PM
AZ Community Team

I don’t have much details regarding the matter but I’m being told that dealerships are starting to get audited on their puddle light replacements. There have been so many repairs for these that Acura is red flagging random repairs to ensure it was really necessary.
Old 01-20-2022, 11:03 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by jwtarbaj
Dealer called me to report the bulbs are out of stock. They ordered and will let me know when they come in. Hoping I'll get the revised part since it will be new stock.
So I get a call today. The "backordered" puddle bulbs are at the dealer, now that I drove my car back home 66 miles away. Ridiculous.
Old 01-21-2022, 12:05 AM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,143 Likes on 817 Posts
I don’t have much details regarding the matter but I’m being told that dealerships are starting to get audited on their puddle light replacements. There have been so many repairs for these that Acura is red flagging random repairs to ensure it was really necessary.
Dealerships are replacing puddle lights even though they are in good working order ? Trying to hide its design fault and lay the blame on dealerships ?
KrylonBlue (01-21-2022)
Old 01-21-2022, 12:25 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
Dealerships are replacing puddle lights even though they are in good working order ? Trying to hide its design fault and lay the blame on dealerships ?
That would be what the audit would be for. I had this come up when I had to have my ball joints replaced on my 2012 TSX almost immediately due to noises and the dealership told me they just had to ensure it was happening because they may get audited otherwise.

My buddy is a former technician who moved up to an ASM. He told me that a puddle light he replaced today triggered a red flag because just like mine it was no longer working. I’m guessing Acura, rather than admitting a design fault, is focusing on dealerships just replacing them under warranty even though they’re working. But as we all know here that’s not the case and it’ll likely be cleared up very quickly.
Edward'TLS (01-21-2022)
Old 01-21-2022, 05:30 PM
AZ Community Team

Update:

The reason the TLX was red flagged is that specific client had their puddle light repaired once already.

I asked my friend if I should replace my passenger side or wait for a fix and at this point he recommended I wait for a more permanent fix.
Jim2301 (01-22-2022)
Old 01-21-2022, 06:09 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Think the dance has started on weather or not they were going to have to replace all the ones already delivered.
KrylonBlue (01-21-2022)
Old 01-22-2022, 10:47 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,662 Likes on 927 Posts
My driver side light is still out as I haven’t taken it in to be replaced yet but the parts there. My passenger side continues to work normally.
Same here. Embarrassingly enough, I never realized I had puddle lights until this thread.
The following 2 users liked this post by F23A4:
KrylonBlue (01-22-2022), one4all (01-25-2022)
Old 01-22-2022, 11:11 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by F23A4
Same here. Embarrassingly enough, I never realized I had puddle lights until this thread.
Well, my driver side was replaced but the passenger side is out now because I had my car washed just before it went into Acura. 😂

on the bright side, even with a faulty puddle light, it’s clean.

The following 2 users liked this post by KrylonBlue:
MarcoTLX (01-22-2022), one4all (01-25-2022)
Old 01-22-2022, 02:04 PM
Adept Acura Enthusiast

Received 335 Likes on 225 Posts
Well, my driver side was replaced but the passenger side is out now because I had my car washed just before it went into Acura. 😂

who needs puddle lights anyways when you got headlights and taillights lol
KrylonBlue (01-22-2022)
Old 01-22-2022, 02:12 PM
Instructor

Clean AF im not in s Rush to get them fixed. I forgot that they are even there and suppose to be working. Some ppl freak out when its a new car and something stopa working. We all know this is a known issue so better to be patient and wait for a TSB its coming 💯
Old 01-22-2022, 03:24 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by TypeS22
Clean AF im not in s Rush to get them fixed. I forgot that they are even there and suppose to be working. Some ppl freak out when its a new car and something stopa working. We all know this is a known issue so better to be patient and wait for a TSB its coming 💯
I will only have this car hand washed and I will only let a higher end detail shop do it. Brightons, which is the same shop that applied my ceramic coating and paint protection film, does an excellent job. It’s a bit pricey at $50 for an exterior wash and vacuum or $120 for a deeper cleaning but it’s worth it. Every 3 months I add on $20 and have them apply the solution to keep the ceramic coating looking amazing and then go on about my day.

Ceramic coating with PPF is highly recommended.
The following 2 users liked this post by KrylonBlue:
LinuxRacr (04-04-2023), MarcoTLX (01-22-2022)
Old 01-22-2022, 09:09 PM
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
puddle lights

I have had my Type S for a few months, and yes, the drivers side light is out, but I don't see it as much of an issue.
May I am missing something ?
I have the mirrors set on auto close, so when I approach the car and the lights come on, the mirrors are still folded flat against the door panel.
So the lights do not illuminate the ground til I touch the door handle to open the car, (when the mirrors then unfold) but then I am already standing beside the vehicle.
I guess it would only make a difference if I removed the key from my pocket each time as I am approaching the car, and manually press the 'door unlock' button on the key fob, and of course, only at night in a dark area, to be of any reasonable benefit.
one4all (01-25-2022)
Old 01-22-2022, 09:36 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by Roger23
I have had my Type S for a few months, and yes, the drivers side light is out, but I don't see it as much of an issue.
May I am missing something ?
I have the mirrors set on auto close, so when I approach the car and the lights come on, the mirrors are still folded flat against the door panel.
So the lights do not illuminate the ground til I touch the door handle to open the car, (when the mirrors then unfold) but then I am already standing beside the vehicle.
I guess it would only make a difference if I removed the key from my pocket each time as I am approaching the car, and manually press the 'door unlock' button on the key fob, and of course, only at night in a dark area, to be of any reasonable benefit.
I don’t really need them but technically Acura charged me a price for the car with that feature installed so I did pay for it. Because of that fact I do expect that feature to work properly. I will be waiting for a TSB at this point though.
one4all (01-25-2022)
Old 01-23-2022, 12:56 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,662 Likes on 927 Posts
Indeed, my prior TLXs were base 3.5 versions without any puddle lights. So, I was ignorant of the fact that I actually had them this time around. While I plan on having Acura address it, I've absolutely no urgency to get this fixed asap. Will probably look to get it fixed at my next service interval.
Old 01-23-2022, 06:06 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
I had to wait 3 months for my puddle lights to arrive once they were ordered by the dealership. Like a lot of folks here on this post, i waited for a service interval to have the issue addressed. UNFORTUNATELY, puddle lights are not something the dealer stocks.
Old 01-23-2022, 11:36 PM
6G TLX-S

^^^^^

Unless Acura fixes the problem and releases an improved version paddle lights, otherwise dealerships are not gonna stock the original faulty design version paddle lights, knowing that the latter will fail again when moisture sets in.
Old 02-03-2022, 12:25 PM
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
Just got my puddle lights replaced this last weekend. So far so good and it withstood a car wash using a pressure washer. According to the dealer they used the updated puddle light design.
The following 2 users liked this post by Luis C:
ELIN (02-03-2022), Pens Fan (02-04-2022)
Old 02-03-2022, 05:57 PM
Drifting

Received 1,237 Likes on 895 Posts
Originally Posted by Luis C
Just got my puddle lights replaced this last weekend. So far so good and it withstood a car wash using a pressure washer. According to the dealer they used the updated puddle light design.
Keep us posted! This is promising!
Old 02-03-2022, 06:13 PM
Instructor

Received 99 Likes on 45 Posts
They recently came out with an updated version a few weeks ago. I went to my local Acura yesterday since my driver side is now out and they said they’ll be replacing both sides with the updated version; just have to wait for them to come in.
Old 02-20-2022, 07:55 AM
Drifting

Received 1,237 Likes on 895 Posts
They recently came out with an updated version a few weeks ago. I went to my local Acura yesterday since my driver side is now out and they said they’ll be replacing both sides with the updated version; just have to wait for them to come in.
Anyone know the TSB/part number of the permanent puddle light fix?
Old 02-24-2022, 02:00 AM
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Even the updated ones are sadly failing still.
Old 02-26-2022, 07:44 AM
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Mikey319
Even the updated ones are sadly failing still.
Yep, I’m gonna wait, not a big deal for me. I’m also seeing a few reports of broken mirrors when replacing the lights. Should ask the dealer if they have mirrors in stock to be safe and ready to install. I heard those are on back order as well.
Old 02-26-2022, 10:26 AM
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 21 Posts
The Dealer replaced my entire passenger side mirror in order to fix the puddle light that had burnt out. Upon visual inspection I did notice that there was no longer a noticeable gap when the mirror was folded in. So there has definitely been a slight change to the mirror housing. I am hoping this fixes the issue long term.

When I got home from the dealer I noticed my driver side mirror puddle light was flickering. Apparently the dealer ran the car through a touch free wash before giving it back to me. So now I have a driver's side mirror on order to be replaced by the dealer.
Old 02-26-2022, 06:55 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by wizardjjr
The Dealer replaced my entire passenger side mirror in order to fix the puddle light that had burnt out. Upon visual inspection I did notice that there was no longer a noticeable gap when the mirror was folded in. So there has definitely been a slight change to the mirror housing. I am hoping this fixes the issue long term.

When I got home from the dealer I noticed my driver side mirror puddle light was flickering. Apparently the dealer ran the car through a touch free wash before giving it back to me. So now I have a driver's side mirror on order to be replaced by the dealer.
I hope this fixes it but my mirrors are wrapped in PPF and are ceramic coated. Because this is a flaw by Acura I would want these fixed but Acura will need to cover the cost to reapply the PPF and ceramic coating.

I bet you that won’t be simple to accomplish…
Old 02-26-2022, 07:00 PM
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 21 Posts
I hope this fixes it but my mirrors are wrapped in PPF and are ceramic coated. Because this is a flaw by Acura I would want these fixed but Acura will need to cover the cost to reapply the PPF and ceramic coating.

I bet you that won’t be simple to accomplish…
Luckily I got my ppf from the dealer at the time of purchasing my Type S. They wrapped and coated side mirror for me under warranty.
Old 02-26-2022, 07:23 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by wizardjjr
Luckily I got my ppf from the dealer at the time of purchasing my Type S. They wrapped and coated side mirror for me under warranty.
Thats good.

If that’s the permanent fix I’ll cross that bridge when it comes. Definitely feel I have the right to expect Acura to cover the cost (it likely isn’t that expensive) since it’s their manufacturer defect that brought upon the issue.
norsairius (03-01-2022)
Old 03-24-2022, 03:08 PM
10th Gear

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
UPDATE!! New updated bulbs!!

As the original starter to this thread:

I just wanted to update all of you that my dealer successfully removed the mirror glass, then 4 bolts to remove the mirror mechanism, then replaced the bulbs with updated bulbs. They put everything back together and didn’t break or scratch anything! I’m impressed! Some have reported that the dealer replaced the whole mirror assemblies…seems like over kill. I’m just glad everything went smoothly.

Anyways the tech came out at showed me the old bulbs versus the new bulbs, and while they have the same part number, they are definitely a newer design! So hopefully as many of us get this fixed, it will be the last time, at least for a while!

…Fresh wash and the bulbs still work! Fingers crossed! Still loving my TLX. As a previous 2019 Accord 2.0 Sport 6-Speed owner…this car is still worth the $12,000 in cost upgrade….way more comfortable, drives and handles better…and of course I would have to mention the stereo. Love it!!

And yes as some have mentioned in this thread as well, I have a few minor fitment flaws, the right fender gap at the top of the hood is too wide….the TLX is not perfect, but either am I.

The following 7 users liked this post by ApexBlue21’:
a35tl (03-24-2022), Camaro194 (03-24-2022), DLM1213 (03-25-2022), Jim2301 (03-24-2022), Legend2TL (03-29-2022), Nick’s Type S (09-28-2022), richii0207 (03-25-2022) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-25-2022, 06:52 AM
Pro

Received 433 Likes on 249 Posts
Originally Posted by ApexBlue21’
As the original starter to this thread:

I just wanted to update all of you that my dealer successfully removed the mirror glass, then 4 bolts to remove the mirror mechanism, then replaced the bulbs with updated bulbs. They put everything back together and didn’t break or scratch anything! I’m impressed! Some have reported that the dealer replaced the whole mirror assemblies…seems like over kill. I’m just glad everything went smoothly.

Anyways the tech came out at showed me the old bulbs versus the new bulbs, and while they have the same part number, they are definitely a newer design! So hopefully as many of us get this fixed, it will be the last time, at least for a while!

…Fresh wash and the bulbs still work! Fingers crossed! Still loving my TLX. As a previous 2019 Accord 2.0 Sport 6-Speed owner…this car is still worth the $12,000 in cost upgrade….way more comfortable, drives and handles better…and of course I would have to mention the stereo. Love it!!

And yes as some have mentioned in this thread as well, I have a few minor fitment flaws, the right fender gap at the top of the hood is too wide….the TLX is not perfect, but either am I.
Thanks for the update, it seems like a very common issue with the TLX. Luckily mine have been holding up well after 4 months of ownership with constant washes. Mines a 22, perhaps they started using the new bulbs with that MY, or maybe I’m just fortunate.

P.S. Love the flag. Mine hangs proudly as well.

The following 3 users liked this post by richii0207:
MarcoTLX (03-27-2022), Nick’s Type S (09-28-2022), Nomad346 (03-25-2022)
Old 03-25-2022, 08:48 PM
AZ Community Team

My friend at the dealership told me he has the new part installed and it’s been working since. We had heavy rain today and my replaced (old design) went out again but he’s going to set me up for two of the new parts so they’re there when I come in next.
Old 03-27-2022, 10:41 PM
Instructor

I got mine replaced a week ago supposedly with the new updated part number and so far so good..Fingers crossed..
Old 03-28-2022, 01:17 AM
6G TLX-S

Can't imagine a tiny light bulb is taking Honda such a long time to fix.

Old 03-28-2022, 03:56 PM
Pro

Received 433 Likes on 249 Posts
Can't imagine a tiny light bulb is taking Honda such a long time to fix.
They probably had to test the new bulbs for an extended time with exposure to everyday usage so they don’t end up back to square one.
Old 03-30-2022, 11:42 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by richii0207
They probably had to test the new bulbs for an extended time with exposure to everyday usage so they don’t end up back to square one.
But we've already had feedback that those with the new bulbs have had them burn out already.
Old 04-01-2022, 11:57 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by jwtarbaj
But we've already had feedback that those with the new bulbs have had them burn out already.
I am not certain but these may be different. My buddy from the dealer hasn’t had an issue yet despite the consistent rainfall we’ve had. Granted, it’s possible that he’s been lucky but time will tell.
Old 04-02-2022, 05:34 PM
6G TLX-S

Replaced both mirror puddle lights yesterday. Let's see how well they will hold up.

Quick Reply: Mirror Puddle Light Replacement Question