Does anyone LOVE the new TLX?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2020, 05:22 PM
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts
Does anyone LOVE the new TLX?

I've watched hours of YouTube reviews, read all of the car mags online, and read some reviews in this forum as it seems the reception to the 2G TLX is lukewarm mostly. I have no doubt the tires are garbage - the ones on my '15 TLX were discarded within 2 months for Michelin Pilot Sports - and it seems there are some quirky turbo tuning issues according to some. Does anyone really really like/love the car? As in, has anyone test drove/bought one and come away totally in love with the car? I'll possibly be in the market come this Spring and while I would LOVE the Type S, my budget is the low/mid $40s after discounts so I'll probably be in the 2.0T Aspec or Advance model assuming there is some Loyalty or Conquest rebates along with dealer discounts then. I'm realistic and don't expect this car to be a BMW M5 killer that some to hope it would be, but I do want a fun to drive car (I'll change the tires immediately like I do with almost every car I buy), solidly built, strong enough for day to day fun without going overboard. I think the car is a stunner in the looks department, particularly the red with ASpec black trim.
The following users liked this post:
a35tl (10-12-2020)
Old 10-12-2020, 06:06 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 835 Likes on 519 Posts
To be fair, I don't know if there are any other cars in this class (the 2.0T ones) that reviews and people would truly "love" them. Realistically, all of these 2.0T models are "lukewarm" luxury sports sedans. None of them would match up to their more performance oriented sibling in terms of appearance, handling, acceleration, etc. A 330i is no M340i, a C300 is no C43 AMG, an A4 is no S4, an IS200t is no IS350, a G70 2.0T is no G70 3.3T, a Q50 Pure is no Q50 Red sport 400, etc.

With that in mind, I thought the reviews have been pretty positive in the sense that TLX is right in the mix with the others. The same can't be said with the 1g TLX. Most reviews are saying the TLX is a genuine contender, and that it no longer feels like an Accord plus. Having its own platform really helps here. There are the shortcomings that we now know - big exterior but not big interior, garbage tires, fake engine noise not very convincing, paddle shifters slower than average. The only thing that can be easily fixed is the tires and any of the other 3 can be a deal breaker for some.

Here's a comparison test of the Giulia, 330i, G70, and S60, all in the 2.0T configuration. They all have their strengths and their flaws as highlighted by car and driver. None of them are very fast like their respective higher trims. Like the TLX 2.0T, these are the "bread and butter," the volume models:
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...020-volvo-s60/
The following 5 users liked this post by iforyou:
a35tl (10-12-2020), BGR (10-13-2020), cammy5 (10-12-2020), neuronbob (11-22-2020), ostrich (10-12-2020)
Old 10-12-2020, 06:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
I wanted to love those car, but while Acura has made a great turnaround I think they just missed the mark. They make an E Class sized sedan on the outside with hardly any increase inside. Then they will offer a Type-S, but leave off HUD, rain sensing wipers, and more, yet price it within striking distance of the Germans and Koreans all who offer more on they higher model Sport sedans. At this point I am thinking I am buying my 19 ASPEC next June and hope the MMC or PMC model will do it for me, or maybe the 22 G70 which is sounding like it will be a beast.
Old 10-12-2020, 06:48 PM
Pro

Received 544 Likes on 256 Posts
I think I can come to love the car. Right now I’m still working out the kinks so to speak and getting acclimated to the vehicle. It’s been quite a while since I’ve had a sedan as a DD. I can tell you one thing though I’m loving the interior treatment.

Last edited by Honda430; 10-12-2020 at 06:50 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Honda430:
a35tl (10-12-2020), David Berk (11-02-2020)
Old 10-12-2020, 07:34 PM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Received 381 Likes on 235 Posts
Either way, I'd wait a bit to purchase one, love it or not. It's not worth the price tag at sticker. You can get discounts on all its competitors to make them cheaper than a TLX. Unless you need a new car now, like your lease is ending, there's no reason to pick one up now while dealers think they can still get sticker. When they've been sitting on inventory for a while, you'll be seeing a decent amount of discounts. I paid ~$48k OTD for my '20 A-Spec RDX. I'm seeing people get A-Specs now for under $40k OTD. That's not chump change ... and if it is to you, why are you looking at a Acura in the first place? If I could have waited, I would have.
TVL65 (10-13-2020)
Old 10-12-2020, 07:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 708 Likes on 325 Posts
More people would like, or even love, the TLX A-spec if the Advance (Platinum Elite) didn’t exist. I think that’s the biggest mistake Acura made if we are to assume there absolutely was no other option other than to pair the 2.0T with the 10-speed gearbox. If you get rid of the Advance, there’s no way for A-spec buyers to feel like they got shortchanged.
ELIN (11-06-2020)
Old 10-12-2020, 08:35 PM
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So my current car is a 2016 Mustang Ecoboost Premium with a manual. That is the first car I've had in a long time where I had virtually no complaints and did not even think about purchasing a new car for several years.

The TLX Type S concept made me start looking at cars again. However, when I drove the A-Spec I liked it but did not feel that it warranted the price.I did not NOT fall in love with the TLX by any means. I might change my mind when the Type S comes out but again the price is a major fact with it being in the mid 50s. Too much for me unfortunately unless I can find a good used one a few years down the road.
Old 10-12-2020, 08:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 383 Likes on 239 Posts
I'm real close to loving it but I have a few gripes. I think the car is gorgeous and I love the look of it, inside and out. If I get one, which is likely in about a year or so, I'm pretty certain it will be the Type S. It doesn't have to be the fastest car in its class for me to enjoy it but I do want the faster 3.0T engine that will be in the Type S. Like others though, I am annoyed by the fact that you can't buy a Type S with all the features offered on the Advance model, at least not yet. I think Acura will eventually offer those options but don't understand why we have to wait. I'm very pleased with the look of the car and the overall direction Acura is heading, minor gripes notwithstanding.
Old 10-12-2020, 09:03 PM
Volvo Defector

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts
I'm disappointed in the new TLX to be honest. Until I drive one, the only things it has going for it is its gorgeous exterior and that SH-AWD system. Everything else screams subpar. BMW 5/Audi A6 size but with A4/3 Series interior room.
After reading some of the reviews, a lot of them say the chassis *feels* like it can do a lot more, and maybe better tires will help. Perhaps Volvo has spoiled me a bit, but since coming from a 2015 TLX SH-AWD to my Volvo S6 T6 I did a comparison. My S60 out accelerates, out brakes, and out corners the new TLX while being 7" shorter with the same interior volume and gets better gas mileage 29mpg TLX vs 32mpg S60.

2021 Acura TLX SH-AWD vs 2019 Volvo S60 T6 R-Design AWD

Last edited by reddogTL; 10-12-2020 at 09:06 PM.
Old 10-12-2020, 09:32 PM
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts
Good points made here. I'll test drive the TLX come early this next year when I'm actively in the market. I'm sure by then there will be a lot more owners reviews out there as well as some owners who immediately put some Michelin PS4S on the car to see what exactly this chassis can do.
Old 10-12-2020, 09:40 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,429 Likes on 1,879 Posts
Some might say I'm the resident hater, but (as I mentioned in my test drive thoughts) I actually do like this car for what it is. Now, I don't like it enough to think it's worth the the current sticker price, and by no means do I love it, but I've actually loved very few cars. In fact, the only cars that I've actually loved are the FA5 Civic Si, the ND MX-5, the 500 Abarth, and the Challenger Hellcat (with a manual). Give the base TLX the same 6MT from the CTR and the same K20C1 motor, and even if it were a FWD-only affair, with everything else the same I think I would love it.
Old 10-13-2020, 12:01 AM
Pro

Received 267 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by reddogTL
I'm disappointed in the new TLX to be honest. Until I drive one, the only things it has going for it is its gorgeous exterior and that SH-AWD system. Everything else screams subpar. BMW 5/Audi A6 size but with A4/3 Series interior room.
After reading some of the reviews, a lot of them say the chassis *feels* like it can do a lot more, and maybe better tires will help. Perhaps Volvo has spoiled me a bit, but since coming from a 2015 TLX SH-AWD to my Volvo S6 T6 I did a comparison. My S60 out accelerates, out brakes, and out corners the new TLX while being 7" shorter with the same interior volume and gets better gas mileage 29mpg TLX vs 32mpg S60.

thats great and all buddy but I’m buying the tlx for the looks. For the average driver the performance is more than enough. Stop getting fixated on the numbers plus I wouldn’t even step foot in a Volvo dealer ship.
The following 2 users liked this post by djhtsx:
Barbecue Tech Tips (10-28-2020), moviechick (10-15-2020)
Old 10-13-2020, 12:20 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 361 Posts
Originally Posted by djhtsx
thats great and all buddy but I’m buying the tlx for the looks. For the average driver the performance is more than enough. Stop getting fixated on the numbers plus I wouldn’t even step foot in a Volvo dealer ship.
This seems to be the average comment so far, buying for the looks but can live with the rest. Exterior love can only last so long before reality kicks in. It's not just performance that's average, interior doesn't match the outside.
The following 3 users liked this post by pyrodan007:
Kense (10-13-2020), Monte TLS,MAX (10-14-2020), reddogTL (10-27-2020)
Old 10-13-2020, 12:38 AM
Pro

Received 267 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by pyrodan007
This seems to be the average comment so far, buying for the looks but can live with the rest. Exterior love can only last so long before reality kicks in. It's not just performance that's average, interior doesn't match the outside.
the car I have now has way less performance so this car will be a upgrade in performance I’m pretty sure I’ll be fine.
Old 10-13-2020, 12:41 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

I think the S60 T5 is priced more in line with the TLX 2.0T as the T5 starts at $38k and goes up to well over $50k when equipped like the TLX 2.0T advance, but the T5 is FWD only, not AWD. The T6 AWD goes above $55k.

The S60 also doesn't seem to be that good dynamically as it came last in a recent C/D comparo:

Here are some words on its dynamics:
- Not interested in your winding roads and squealing tires
- The Volvo, with its strong and clear attitude, doesn’t want to be rushed, and neither will its driver.
- The steering reacts quickly off-center but has a generic, indifferent front-drive numbness to it.
- And while the Volvo’s body control isn’t sloppy and the car could be pushed to almost keep up, it isn’t ever quite taut enough—or any fun.
- The transmission is eager to upshift but less so to drop down a gear.
- Getting caught too low in the rev range exposes the engine’s laggy nature.

It's also more in line with the TLX 2.0T when it comes to acceleration with the TLX enjoying a slight advantage:
0-60mph: 6.1s
5-60mph: 7s
1/4 mile: 14.6@98mph

C/D also only managed 25mpg in their test, which is pretty darn good, but 34mpg is the actual hwy EPA rating.

Not trying to say the S60 is a bad car, but not sure if it's right to compare a S60 T6 to the TLX 2.0T when the T5 is priced more like the TLX 2.0T, and that the Volvo isn't exactly that engaging to drive based on the review. Seems like the S60 T6 is more of a Type S competitor with its pricing.

Old 10-13-2020, 12:55 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Originally Posted by fiatlux
Some might say I'm the resident hater, but (as I mentioned in my test drive thoughts) I actually do like this car for what it is. Now, I don't like it enough to think it's worth the the current sticker price, and by no means do I love it, but I've actually loved very few cars. In fact, the only cars that I've actually loved are the FA5 Civic Si, the ND MX-5, the 500 Abarth, and the Challenger Hellcat (with a manual). Give the base TLX the same 6MT from the CTR and the same K20C1 motor, and even if it were a FWD-only affair, with everything else the same I think I would love it.
Haha yea I think there are many factors that would affect if someone would fall in love with a car or not.

Not sure about others but I'd imagine the person's car history is likely to have an effect as to whether someone would fall in love with another car. Looking at your signature for instance.....Cayenne Turbo, V60 T8 Polestar, STi, Z4M, IS-F, etc......I think it's safe to say these are all more exciting cars than a TLX 2.0T (or 330i, C300, A4 2.0T, S60 T5, etc), lol!

On the other hand if someone has never owned a brand new premium brand vehicle, then it's more likely that buying a brand new TLX 2.0T will be much more exciting.

Old 10-13-2020, 01:09 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by iforyou
Haha yea I think there are many factors that would affect if someone would fall in love with a car or not.

Not sure about others but I'd imagine the person's car history is likely to have an effect as to whether someone would fall in love with another car. Looking at your signature for instance.....Cayenne Turbo, V60 T8 Polestar, STi, Z4M, IS-F, etc......I think it's safe to say these are all more exciting cars than a TLX 2.0T (or 330i, C300, A4 2.0T, S60 T5, etc), lol!

On the other hand if someone has never owned a brand new premium brand vehicle, then it's more likely that buying a brand new TLX 2.0T will be much more exciting.
I think there's something refreshing about driving a car that goes back to the basics even having owned some pretty high performance machines. There's a reason why my two favorite cars out of all the cars I've owned have been two of the cheapest ones; the Si and the Abarth. They may not be as "exciting" (read: terrifying at the limit), but they're just plain fun to drive around. After driving my friend's CTR, I was absolutely smitten, but I could not get over the exterior looks enough to love it. Now, if only Acura could plop that drivetrain into the TLX, it would be golden.

Out of all the other cars in this segment, I think the one excites me the most is the Giulia. Dynamically, I think it's far and away the best of the bunch (better than the 3-series even), and the best looking, even more than the TLX. I just wish it was a bit better built, and brought over the manual option like they have in Europe.
Old 10-13-2020, 05:02 AM
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts
The best TLX ever produced. All of the sedan features, performance and pricing. Everyone has their preferences how they spend their money. I will purchase one for my spouse. Nice addition to my garage.
The following 4 users liked this post by amcobra:
Ludepower (10-13-2020), moviechick (11-29-2020), steve_97060 (10-14-2020), TLXinTX (10-14-2020)
Old 10-13-2020, 08:15 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts
I’m so picky I’m not sure I can love any car that’s I can afford, and I drive a $70,000 BMW now that I like a lot.

Ive owned four Acura’s, and many other Honda products over the years, including a very fast motorcycle that I recently bought. So no bias against the new TLX. I’m not overwhelmed with the styling, although the S looks better in the pics. Might be enough to raise my feelings about the car.

Im guessing it’s driving dynamics would impress me based upon what I have read, but I have not driven not one yet. The price point on the S will be a big factor for me. I’m guessing a loaded S will be in the upper $50s. While that may or may not be a fair price, I don’t think it would be low enough for me to buy one. There are too many good cars that can be bought in that range and Acura is going to have to earn back a reputation that they lost in the past 15-20 years.
Old 10-13-2020, 11:03 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 562 Likes on 293 Posts
I think if it were priced in the high 30's and topped out at Mid 40's it would be a hit. But it's not so that will kill the car until prices drop. I think it looks OK but I'm still stuck on the concepts looks. I think it looks too much like the last gen A spec. I'll see what the Type S can do before I make anymore judgements on the car. So far i'm not impressed and the turbo lag I've seen is unacceptable.
sweeT n Lo (10-13-2020)
Old 10-13-2020, 12:52 PM
®

Received 473 Likes on 224 Posts
Originally Posted by amcobra
The best TLX ever produced. All of the sedan features, performance and pricing. Everyone has their preferences how they spend their money. I will purchase one for my spouse. Nice addition to my garage.
Best TLX ever produced. Out of 2 that existed. And that first one was 5 years obsolete when it came out in 2014.
The following 5 users liked this post by loki:
04WDPSeDaN (10-13-2020), BEAR-AvHistory (10-13-2020), DreamTSX (10-14-2020), jrzofclay (11-09-2020), Monte TLS,MAX (10-14-2020)
Old 10-13-2020, 01:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 666 Likes on 359 Posts
Originally Posted by Kense
I think if it were priced in the high 30's and topped out at Mid 40's it would be a hit. But it's not so that will kill the car until prices drop. I think it looks OK but I'm still stuck on the concepts looks. I think it looks too much like the last gen A spec. I'll see what the Type S can do before I make anymore judgements on the car. So far i'm not impressed and the turbo lag I've seen is unacceptable.
Seen Turbo lag or experienced it?
sonyfever (10-13-2020)
Old 10-13-2020, 03:04 PM
Volvo Defector

Originally Posted by djhtsx
I don't disagree with you. It is a gorgeous looking car. I did the same thing when I purchased the 2015 TLX SH-AWD Advance when it first came out. No one else had those Jewel Eye headlights and they looked great. My issue is how much bigger and heavier this car has gotten which completely negated the performance improvements switching over to the 2.0T. I'm not fixated on the numbers, I'm just disappointed after being an Acura owner of 12+ years with nothing to be excited about(Type S withholding until it comes out!). I really would like to see a review of this car with better tires to see how it stacks up.

Originally Posted by iforyou
I think the S60 T5 is priced more in line with the TLX 2.0T as the T5 starts at $38k and goes up to well over $50k when equipped like the TLX 2.0T advance, but the T5 is FWD only, not AWD. The T6 AWD goes above $55k.

The S60 also doesn't seem to be that good dynamically as it came last in a recent C/D comparo:

Here are some words on its dynamics:
- Not interested in your winding roads and squealing tires
- The Volvo, with its strong and clear attitude, doesn’t want to be rushed, and neither will its driver.
- The steering reacts quickly off-center but has a generic, indifferent front-drive numbness to it.
- And while the Volvo’s body control isn’t sloppy and the car could be pushed to almost keep up, it isn’t ever quite taut enough—or any fun.
- The transmission is eager to upshift but less so to drop down a gear.
- Getting caught too low in the rev range exposes the engine’s laggy nature.

It's also more in line with the TLX 2.0T when it comes to acceleration with the TLX enjoying a slight advantage:
0-60mph: 6.1s
5-60mph: 7s
1/4 mile: 14.6@98mph

C/D also only managed 25mpg in their test, which is pretty darn good, but 34mpg is the actual hwy EPA rating.

Not trying to say the S60 is a bad car, but not sure if it's right to compare a S60 T6 to the TLX 2.0T when the T5 is priced more like the TLX 2.0T, and that the Volvo isn't exactly that engaging to drive based on the review. Seems like the S60 T6 is more of a Type S competitor with its pricing.
The S60 isn't a bad car. Albeit it does have more road noise and is a firmer more sporty ride than the TLX. The S60 is faster than the TLX as it has more of a surge of torque at lower RPM and is now lighter than the 2nd gen.(S60 is actually heavier than 1st gen TLX by almost 200lbs even though its 3" shorter) Without a doubt the BMW 330 is a better drivers car, I test drove it twice back to back against the TLX and the Audi A4. The Guilia is one of the best handling cars out there but you won't get many features with them in this price range. The 330 was my first choice but I went with the Volvo as it had better incentives during my purchase timeframe.
Also, I think the TLX 2.0T SH-AWD is right in line with the S60 T6 since both of their starting prices are within $3K of each other.($40K TLX SH-AWD vs $43K S60 T6 Momentum). My MSRP was around $49K for a moderately equipment R Design package. I got a leftover that came in under the TLX Advance price range. Acura was always good at value, getting more bang for your buck. But the price increases across the board for the new TLX is an issue when the midsize lux sedan segment is more competitive than ever now. My BIGGEST factor when I first came to Acura was for their reliability that unfortunately fell off a cliff with the 1st Gen TLX. Even Honda's CEO admitted to the ongoing QC problems. At that point I figured if I'm going to have this many problems with my car why not go European lol
In these times $40K is the new $30K and $50K is the new $40K
Old 10-13-2020, 03:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GhostTL09
Seen Turbo lag or experienced it?
Seen from reviews, everyone say's it's there so it is a thing. The strait pipes sat there for 2 seconds while the car wasn't moving. Also seemed to hesitate on Redline reviews too which it then picks up in the later range. I did go to the dealer to see the car in person and it looks OK but I have no interest in test driving anything other than the Type S.
Old 10-13-2020, 08:01 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
I would really LOVE it the TLX comes in a sport wagon/shooting brake style!!! OK, I am totally daydreaming here.... :-)

Mind you, the 2022 Genesis G70 is supposed to come in a sport wagon style... now, THAT may win me over to Genesis...!
Old 10-14-2020, 10:19 AM
Volvo Defector

Originally Posted by Kense
Seen from reviews, everyone say's it's there so it is a thing. The strait pipes sat there for 2 seconds while the car wasn't moving. Also seemed to hesitate on Redline reviews too which it then picks up in the later range. I did go to the dealer to see the car in person and it looks OK but I have no interest in test driving anything other than the Type S.
I believe the Alex on Autos link said the Type S is getting 355hp/354lbs.
Old 10-14-2020, 11:40 AM
Burning Brakes

I believe the Alex on Autos link said the Type S is getting 355hp/354lbs.
While not impressive and disappointing I'd still like to test drive and see what the numbers are like.
Old 10-14-2020, 12:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Looking at the new MDX, it gets me even angrier since so many things we wanted are included in that SUV. And yet they were born just one year from each other. Of course it gets to keep the NA V6, and gets massaged seats. Even the interior lighting looks better.
https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...some-3-row-suv

Last edited by pyrodan007; 10-14-2020 at 12:10 PM.
leomio85 (10-14-2020)
Old 10-14-2020, 12:21 PM

Looking at the new MDX, it gets me even angrier since so many things we wanted are included in that SUV. And yet they were born just one year from each other. Of course it gets to keep the NA V6, and gets massaged seats. Even the interior lighting looks better.
Wow, I'm surprised they're keeping the J35 around. Oh well, guess I was wrong.

I'm not crazy about the exterior. I know I know ... I have a 3G RDX, so who am I to talk? I dunno, it just seems the proportions don't suit the looks very well. It doesn't look bad by any means, but something just seems "off". I'm sure the matte finish isn't helping anything either. The interior looks phenomenal though. I wonder what pricing is going to be. Now that they've labeled it their "flagship" ... I'd suspect a sizable price increase as well. Especially with the interior getting the treatment it did.
Old 10-14-2020, 12:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 536 Likes on 345 Posts
Yeah sad and I am sure that the TLX is the burner of the bunch at this point, can't imagine that it will be around for too much longer in comparison to the others in the lineup.
Old 10-14-2020, 12:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 255 Posts
Digital Gauge Cluster . Also, alloy-rims that don't suck. They will probably even sell them with the proper tires on all trim-models (that's like a $4,000 value right there).

Right, the V6. If they were going to keep the old EarthDreams 290hp NA V6 around, they should have put it in the new TLX.

2022-2023 MDX sounds nice, but it sounds like an Advance is going to be over $60k . I guess the MDX Type-S with the new TT-V6 engine will be even more.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tesla1856:
ESHBG (10-14-2020), pyrodan007 (10-14-2020)
Old 10-14-2020, 01:09 PM
Safety Car

I don't think this should be of any surprise. The MDX is one whole class above the TLX, so you'd expect it to have the best features. This is like expecting GLE or X5 levels of equipment in a C-Class or 3-Series. And to top it off, the MDX is the top dog in Acura's lineup (sorry NSX, you don't count), so there's no need for them to hold back on anything with this model. If the RLX were still around, you could expect to see this in it, but frankly just because the RLX no longer exist doesn't automatically elevate the TLX to a new standing.
Old 10-14-2020, 01:13 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Tesla1856
Digital Gauge Cluster . Also, alloy-rims that don't suck. They will probably even sell them with the proper tires on all trim-models (that's like a $4,000 value right there).

Right, the V6. If they were going to keep the old EarthDreams 290hp NA V6 around, they should have put it in the new TLX.

2022-2023 MDX sounds nice, but it sounds like an Advance is going to be over $60k . I guess the MDX Type-S with the new TT-V6 engine will be even more.
I think Acura heard all the naysayers and realized that a 2.0T as the base engine for their flagship model just wasn't going to cut it. The only reason Volvo is able to pull it off with the 2.0T in the flagship XC90 is because nobody buys a Volvo expecting performance, whereas Acura is going hard on trying to sell itself as a performance brand.
Old 10-14-2020, 01:48 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

I think there's something refreshing about driving a car that goes back to the basics even having owned some pretty high performance machines. There's a reason why my two favorite cars out of all the cars I've owned have been two of the cheapest ones; the Si and the Abarth. They may not be as "exciting" (read: terrifying at the limit), but they're just plain fun to drive around. After driving my friend's CTR, I was absolutely smitten, but I could not get over the exterior looks enough to love it. Now, if only Acura could plop that drivetrain into the TLX, it would be golden.

Out of all the other cars in this segment, I think the one excites me the most is the Giulia. Dynamically, I think it's far and away the best of the bunch (better than the 3-series even), and the best looking, even more than the TLX. I just wish it was a bit better built, and brought over the manual option like they have in Europe.
Definitely man, I also very much enjoy driving my s2k and ctr. Those, along with the Si and Abarth, are more about performance and driving fun, then a regular A4, S60 T5, C300, TLX 2.0T, etc though. The Giulia is exciting though, no doubt!

The S60 isn't a bad car. Albeit it does have more road noise and is a firmer more sporty ride than the TLX. The S60 is faster than the TLX as it has more of a surge of torque at lower RPM and is now lighter than the 2nd gen.(S60 is actually heavier than 1st gen TLX by almost 200lbs even though its 3" shorter) Without a doubt the BMW 330 is a better drivers car, I test drove it twice back to back against the TLX and the Audi A4. The Guilia is one of the best handling cars out there but you won't get many features with them in this price range. The 330 was my first choice but I went with the Volvo as it had better incentives during my purchase timeframe.
Also, I think the TLX 2.0T SH-AWD is right in line with the S60 T6 since both of their starting prices are within $3K of each other.($40K TLX SH-AWD vs $43K S60 T6 Momentum). My MSRP was around $49K for a moderately equipment R Design package. I got a leftover that came in under the TLX Advance price range. Acura was always good at value, getting more bang for your buck. But the price increases across the board for the new TLX is an issue when the midsize lux sedan segment is more competitive than ever now. My BIGGEST factor when I first came to Acura was for their reliability that unfortunately fell off a cliff with the 1st Gen TLX. Even Honda's CEO admitted to the ongoing QC problems. At that point I figured if I'm going to have this many problems with my car why not go European lol
In these times $40K is the new $30K and $50K is the new $40K
For sure, the S60 looks good and inside is very nice.

Yea I think it comes down to how you want your s60 or tlx is equipped. At $49k, that's a fully loaded TLX 2.0T, an almost fully loaded S60 T5, or a decently loaded S60 T6. So it come down to features vs performance. The T5 is slower than the TLX 2.0T, and the TLX 2.0T is slower than the T6 as per C/D. We don't know where the Type S stands though at the moment.

But yea market prices are different and you probably can't get much discount on a new TLX right at this moment.

Cars are definitely getting pricey!
Old 10-14-2020, 01:49 PM
Burning Brakes

I don't think this should be of any surprise. The MDX is one whole class above the TLX, so you'd expect it to have the best features. This is like expecting GLE or X5 levels of equipment in a C-Class or 3-Series. And to top it off, the MDX is the top dog in Acura's lineup (sorry NSX, you don't count), so there's no need for them to hold back on anything with this model. If the RLX were still around, you could expect to see this in it, but frankly just because the RLX no longer exist doesn't automatically elevate the TLX to a new standing.
In theory yes, but since the RLX is gone and TLX is brand new, was the perfect time to make their new offerings enticing to consumers. Acura itself is using the 5 series as a TLX benchmark.
The following 2 users liked this post by pyrodan007:
ESHBG (10-14-2020), reddogTL (10-27-2020)
Old 10-14-2020, 02:25 PM
Burning Brakes

That MDX in Frozen Grey looks Excellent.
Old 10-14-2020, 02:46 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 536 Likes on 345 Posts
In theory yes, but since the RLX is gone and TLX is brand new, was the perfect time to make their new offerings enticing to consumers. Acura itself is using the 5 series as a TLX benchmark.
Exactly what I have been saying also. And another thing that has me wondering these days is if the new sedan/ILX replacement will actually be better than the TLX, at least features-wise; there's certainly a chance of this since it is being released later.
The following 2 users liked this post by ESHBG:
pyrodan007 (10-14-2020), Tesla1856 (10-14-2020)
Old 10-14-2020, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by ESHBG
Exactly what I have been saying also. And another thing that has me wondering these days is if the new sedan/ILX replacement will actually be better than the TLX, at least features-wise; there's certainly a chance of this since it is being released later.
If they do this, you'll know someone at Acura has it in for the TLX. Maybe the showrunner for the TLX banged the Acura CEO's wife?
The following 2 users liked this post by leomio85:
ESHBG (10-14-2020), Tesla1856 (10-14-2020)
Old 10-14-2020, 04:58 PM
Burning Brakes

1. The MDX is one whole class above the TLX, so you'd expect it to have the best features. And to top it off, the MDX is the top dog in Acura's lineup

2. so there's no need for them to hold back on anything with this model.

3. but frankly just because the RLX no longer exist doesn't automatically elevate the TLX to a new standing.
1. I know what they do, but I think this is wrong.

2. The only difference between a RDX and MDX ... should be larger (for 2 more passengers) and more engine.

The only difference between TLX and SUV should be lower to ground and no hatch-back. No missing features, luxury, or creature-comforts.

3. I can't tell if you are being sarcastic or not. They only have ONE MID-SIZED SEDAN for foreseeable future, so it should be awesome.

Last edited by Tesla1856; 10-14-2020 at 05:07 PM.
ELIN (11-06-2020)
Old 10-14-2020, 05:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ESHBG
I don't see how it can be better since it will be so small and Civic-like.
Barbecue Tech Tips (10-19-2020)

Quick Reply: Does anyone LOVE the new TLX?