Does anyone LOVE the new TLX?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2020, 05:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 498 Likes on 249 Posts
Originally Posted by reddogTL
I'm disappointed in the new TLX to be honest. Until I drive one, the only things it has going for it is its gorgeous exterior and that SH-AWD system. Everything else screams subpar. BMW 5/Audi A6 size but with A4/3 Series interior room.
After reading some of the reviews, a lot of them say the chassis *feels* like it can do a lot more, and maybe better tires will help. Perhaps Volvo has spoiled me a bit, but since coming from a 2015 TLX SH-AWD to my Volvo S6 T6 I did a comparison. My S60 out accelerates, out brakes, and out corners the new TLX while being 7" shorter with the same interior volume and gets better gas mileage 29mpg TLX vs 32mpg S60.

2021 Acura TLX SH-AWD vs 2019 Volvo S60 T6 R-Design AWD
and we all live a quarter mile at a time.
The following 3 users liked this post by Nexx:
cammy5 (10-14-2020), reddogTL (10-27-2020), steve_97060 (10-14-2020)
Old 10-14-2020, 05:28 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 536 Likes on 345 Posts
Originally Posted by Tesla1856
I don't see how it can be better since it will be so small and Civic-like.
If it has more features, is nicer looking and drives well, it just could be.
Old 10-14-2020, 05:33 PM
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Nexx
and we all live a quarter mile at a time.
Respectfully, I don't think I've seen any comparison test in any of the major publications where the S60 didn't finish dead last or maybe second to last. We looked at one pre-COVID - it was a current year 2020 T6 AWD Momentum that was listed at $30K with 9K miles on it....talk about the bottom falling out of the resale on that car - and while the color schemes were attractive (Denim Blue over Blonde leather is very pretty) we were underwhelmed with it....even for $30K in the current model year. The back seat was extremely tight and the quality of the standard leather (not the Nappa in the luxury package) was akin to the VW leatherette in my other half's Jetta. Add an infotainment system that needed a full 20-30 seconds to boot up with no functions available prior to that and we left immediately striking it off the list. It does have a torquey engine for sure but that turbo + supercharger combination is a mechanic shops dream as soon as the warranty expires. Honestly, that was the best part about Volvo - for a not paltry sum of $5-$6K you could get a Volvo extended warranty that covered the car virtually bumper to bumper for 10 years with no mileage cap. I would consider that mandatory if I were to buy that car and planned on keep it more than 2 or so years.

Old 10-14-2020, 05:54 PM
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts
1. I know what they do, but I think this is wrong.

2. The only difference between a RDX and MDX ... should be larger (for 2 more passengers) and more engine.

The only difference between TLX and SUV should be lower to ground and no hatch-back. No missing features, luxury, or creature-comforts.

3. I can't tell if you are being sarcastic or not. They only have ONE MID-SIZED SEDAN for foreseeable future, so it should be awesome.

2). That's not really the way the various classes are set up anymore. That's like saying the only difference between a BMW X3 and an X5 is the engine size and 3rd row availability. The X5 in top trim is much "nicer" than the X3 with all of the option boxes checked. Same with the Lexus NX200 and RX350. The RX feels altogether different (not just in power) than the NX and there isn't much cross shopping between the two. The good thing about that is that the RDX is far superior to the NX so hopefully the MDX will finally be able to get past the RX.

3). I LOVE sedans as much as anyone - thus why I'm here posting - but Acura is one of the more sedan based premium brands with 1 sedan for every 1 SUV model. I suspect that will change in the SUV models favor in the next few years. But hey, if you want a large comfy sedan, don't forget about the RLX where you can find some leftovers on a dealers lot with $14K in dealer cash not including any sane dealer throwing in thousands more just to clear it out. LOL.

One of the last cars I leased was a 2016 BMW 328i 6MT. It had the M Sport Package and 85% of all available options with a sticker price around $52K and some change. But even the 2.0T in that car at that price wasn't fully loaded.....4 years ago. It didn't have the Active Driving Safety Package (or whatever it was called) nor the M Performance Brakes; those options would have put it over $55K for the 328i model. Load up a new 330i and you'll be around $55-$57K for the 4 cylinder and touching $70K for a loaded M340i. I mention this because folks love to blast Acura and other less expensive cars as ONLY being $XXXX cheaper than an Audi/BMW/MB. What they aren't doing is comparing apples to apples. Try finding a base model M340i in the real world. Same with the 330i. Well, you can find a base 330i that they have one on hand that is a stripped down model only kept to honor a lease special.

While I'm on the subject, the vaunted TL-S 3rd gen was lambasted for not being an E46 330i or an Infiniti G35 back when it was new. Boo on FWD they said. Too heavy! Doesn't have the balance of the BMW! Now that car is a cult classic. I doubt the new TLX-S will be a cult classic, but I do know that like the fabled Acuras of the past, it will offer respectably close performance to the Germans for a very significant price difference WHEN EQUIPPED APPLES TO APPLES on top of maintenance at a fraction of the cost and better long term reliability. This is the exact formula that Hyundai/Genesis is following with the G70 - tons of features, 80%-ish of the driving dynamics, ease of maintenance for a fraction of the Germans purchase price.
Old 10-14-2020, 06:24 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,666 Likes on 930 Posts
Originally Posted by leomio85
Wow, I'm surprised they're keeping the J35 around. Oh well, guess I was wrong.

I'm not crazy about the exterior. I know I know ... I have a 3G RDX, so who am I to talk? I dunno, it just seems the proportions don't suit the looks very well. It doesn't look bad by any means, but something just seems "off". I'm sure the matte finish isn't helping anything either. The interior looks phenomenal though. I wonder what pricing is going to be. Now that they've labeled it their "flagship" ... I'd suspect a sizable price increase as well. Especially with the interior getting the treatment it did.
Last year, I asked my F&I guy (formerly my sales guy) if the new MDX would come with a turbo 4 on non-premium models. He indicated 'absolutely not'! Looks like he was spot on.

The J35 is a great motor. Maybe we'll be gifted with a pairing to the 10AT transmission.
Old 10-14-2020, 08:16 PM
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by F23A4
Last year, I asked my F&I guy (formerly my sales guy) if the new MDX would come with a turbo 4 on non-premium models. He indicated 'absolutely not'! Looks like he was spot on.

The J35 is a great motor. Maybe we'll be gifted with a pairing to the 10AT transmission.
Looks like we were gifted. Honestly the 1G TLX MMC should have had the 290 hp J35 with the 10 speed and the new 2G TLX should have the 310hp J35 with the 10 speed. Would have REALLY helped both sales and performance.
The following 2 users liked this post by AcuraGuy2016:
F23A4 (10-15-2020), pyrodan007 (10-14-2020)
Old 10-14-2020, 08:16 PM
Volvo Defector

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by cammy5
Respectfully, I don't think I've seen any comparison test in any of the major publications where the S60 didn't finish dead last or maybe second to last. We looked at one pre-COVID - it was a current year 2020 T6 AWD Momentum that was listed at $30K with 9K miles on it....talk about the bottom falling out of the resale on that car - and while the color schemes were attractive (Denim Blue over Blonde leather is very pretty) we were underwhelmed with it....even for $30K in the current model year. The back seat was extremely tight and the quality of the standard leather (not the Nappa in the luxury package) was akin to the VW leatherette in my other half's Jetta. Add an infotainment system that needed a full 20-30 seconds to boot up with no functions available prior to that and we left immediately striking it off the list. It does have a torquey engine for sure but that turbo + supercharger combination is a mechanic shops dream as soon as the warranty expires. Honestly, that was the best part about Volvo - for a not paltry sum of $5-$6K you could get a Volvo extended warranty that covered the car virtually bumper to bumper for 10 years with no mileage cap. I would consider that mandatory if I were to buy that car and planned on keep it more than 2 or so years.
Thats why I leased my S60. I wouldn't own one out of warranty. Just like I didn't want to own my TLX SH-AWD out of warranty with its problematic powertrain. A lot of people on this forum have left Acura over the past couple of years because of all the issues and got tired of waiting. Most of them went to Audi or BMW. The new TLX is a great looking car, but I don't understand why did it get bigger and heavier with no interior capacity advantages over the previous gen. Not to mention, the base price went up $4K. My 2015 SH-AWD Advance was $46K in 2015. It looks like 2021 SH-AWD Advance is $50K(Both pricing after destination) You're in the price territory of a lot more competition in this segment now. I predict deep discounts on these by this time next year. Deeper than you usually see because of that new price gap. Volvo fell in the same boat with the S60. I think the mid and higher tier's prices are inflated which is why I got such a good deal on it as a leftover model. I personally think Acura is trying to see what they can get away with in its pricing tiers for this segment. But what do I know, I'm one of the few people that think the ZDX was ahead of its time and they should immediately bring it back since SUV Coupe's are all the rage right now.
On another note, those publications where the 2019+ S60 was towards the bottom of the comparison tests, the TLX was in none of them. (C&D, R&T, Autoblog) That told me the S60 was the new TLX.

Last edited by reddogTL; 10-14-2020 at 08:26 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ESHBG (10-14-2020)
Old 10-14-2020, 08:18 PM
Racer

Thats why I leased my S60. I wouldn't own one out of warranty. Just like I didn't want to own my TLX SH-AWD out of warranty with its problematic powertrain. A lot of people on this forum have left Acura over the past couple of years because of all the issues and got tired of waiting. Most of them went to Audi or BMW. The new TLX is a great looking car, I don't understand why did it get bigger and heavier with no interior capacity advantages over the previous gen. Not to mention, the base price went up $4K. My 2015 SH-AWD Advance was $46K in 2015. It looks like 2021 SH-AWD Advance is just barely touching $50K(Both pricing after destination) You're in the price territory of a lot more competition in this segment now. I predict deep discounts on these by this time next year. Deeper than you usually see because of that new price gap. Volvo fell in the same boat with the S60. I think the mid and higher tier's prices are inflated which is why I got such a good deal on it as a leftover model. I personally think Acura is trying to see what they can get away with in its pricing tiers for this segment. But what do I know, I'm one of the few people that think the ZDX was ahead of its time and they should immediately bring it back since SUV Coupe's are all the rage right now.
The ZDX was terribly overpriced and had high road noise. Otherwise it would have been a good vehicle.
Old 10-15-2020, 01:43 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 835 Likes on 519 Posts
Thats why I leased my S60. I wouldn't own one out of warranty. Just like I didn't want to own my TLX SH-AWD out of warranty with its problematic powertrain. A lot of people on this forum have left Acura over the past couple of years because of all the issues and got tired of waiting. Most of them went to Audi or BMW. The new TLX is a great looking car, but I don't understand why did it get bigger and heavier with no interior capacity advantages over the previous gen. Not to mention, the base price went up $4K. My 2015 SH-AWD Advance was $46K in 2015. It looks like 2021 SH-AWD Advance is $50K(Both pricing after destination) You're in the price territory of a lot more competition in this segment now. I predict deep discounts on these by this time next year. Deeper than you usually see because of that new price gap. Volvo fell in the same boat with the S60. I think the mid and higher tier's prices are inflated which is why I got such a good deal on it as a leftover model. I personally think Acura is trying to see what they can get away with in its pricing tiers for this segment. But what do I know, I'm one of the few people that think the ZDX was ahead of its time and they should immediately bring it back since SUV Coupe's are all the rage right now.
On another note, those publications where the 2019+ S60 was towards the bottom of the comparison tests, the TLX was in none of them. (C&D, R&T, Autoblog) That told me the S60 was the new TLX.
Acura went for form over function for the 2G TLX. It's got a long hood for that dash to axle ratio. Think of it like the Stinger and A7. Those cars, along with the TLX, have very similar exterior dimensions and interior passenger volume. Acura said, whether one likes it or not, that if you want space, go buy the RDX and MDX. And if you want space in a sedan, they have the Accord.

The 2G TLX is a whole lot more premium inside than the 1G TLX. The 1G TLX is arguably worse than the current Accord when it comes to the interior. The 1G TLX simply cannot compete with the major competitors in the segment with that interior. The 2G TLX can. In fact, I don't recall seeing many comparos involving the 1g TLX. It was that bad. The only good thing about it is its price.

A lot of cars, including the 3 series, have huge discounts available. That's the trend for sedans unfortunately. I too would expect the same fate for the TLX. The 1g TLX had a lot of incentives too. The hope for Acura is that, if they end up having the same amount if discount for the 2G TLX, but the msrp has been increased, they would still have increased the average transaction price.

I agree, Acura is trying to see what they can go for in this segment. They won't know how much discount is needed until several months later when they have some data to look at.

The following 2 users liked this post by iforyou:
mapleloaf (10-15-2020), Nedmundo (10-17-2020)
Old 10-15-2020, 01:40 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
Originally Posted by AcuraGuy2016
Looks like we were gifted. Honestly the 1G TLX MMC should have had the 290 hp J35 with the 10 speed and the new 2G TLX should have the 310hp J35 with the 10 speed. Would have REALLY helped both sales and performance.
Yet few of the enthusiasts here ever suggested that. The 4 cylinder turbo was de rigeur. There would be droning about the lack of launch torque, etc.. In life, you can't please all of the people all of the time, but you usually can please some of the people some of the time. That last part is kinda iffy here.

Old 10-15-2020, 02:03 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by iforyou
Acura went for form over function for the 2G TLX. It's got a long hood for that dash to axle ratio. Think of it like the Stinger and A7. Those cars, along with the TLX, have very similar exterior dimensions and interior passenger volume. Acura said, whether one likes it or not, that if you want space, go buy the RDX and MDX. And if you want space in a sedan, they have the Accord.

The 2G TLX is a whole lot more premium inside than the 1G TLX. The 1G TLX is arguably worse than the current Accord when it comes to the interior. The 1G TLX simply cannot compete with the major competitors in the segment with that interior. The 2G TLX can. In fact, I don't recall seeing many comparos involving the 1g TLX. It was that bad. The only good thing about it is its price.

A lot of cars, including the 3 series, have huge discounts available. That's the trend for sedans unfortunately. I too would expect the same fate for the TLX. The 1g TLX had a lot of incentives too. The hope for Acura is that, if they end up having the same amount if discount for the 2G TLX, but the msrp has been increased, they would still have increased the average transaction price.

I agree, Acura is trying to see what they can go for in this segment. They won't know how much discount is needed until several months later when they have some data to look at.
I have zero interest in the 2G TLX. The exterior is too big and the interior is too small. Styling is fine, but not when it hurts function (making it harder to park), slower to accelerate, with no interior size benefit.

I generally like the interior content changes, but the vehicle is too big and heavy vs. previous one. That translates to slower acceleration in all cases and notably worse fuel economy. Paying more for this? No thanks.

Launch issues with a 310hp J35 would have been OK with a proper SH-AWD implementation (no vibration due to negligent rear differential QC) and/or higher performance tires that can grip.

On second thought, I would be very interested in a post MMC RDX Type-S if they offered it in SHAWD Advance and fixed the terrible unacceptable road/wind noise in the current RDX.

Last edited by AcuraGuy2016; 10-15-2020 at 02:09 PM.
Old 10-15-2020, 07:43 PM
Pro

Received 159 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by fiatlux
Give the base TLX the same 6MT from the CTR and the same K20C1 motor, and even if it were a FWD-only affair, with everything else the same I think I would love it.
I doubt we'll see a 6MT Acura, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if the upcoming Type S compact sedan has some CTR components including the engine, and hopefully some of the suspension. Soon after the CTR was released, Honda indicated there could be a version emphasizing the "GT" aspect of the CTR, and maybe this will be something like that. (https://www.carthrottle.com/post/moo...e-awd-version/)

But heck, I'll be happy if the compact sedan looks cool, offers the ELS stereo, has the TLX 2.0T with SH-AWD, drives well, and is truly compact. If the Type S version is the Audi S3 killer it should be, even better. (I'd like to say RS3, but we know that won't happen.)
Old 10-15-2020, 09:26 PM
Cruisin'

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
I have had the 2021 TLX FWD Advanced package for 6 days now and love it. The engine serves perfect purpose for my driving abilities as I’m not looking to race the NASCAR circuit. I got $5k off the sticker price and they also absorbed the last 2 lease payments on my RDX (so an additional $960). I think the car handles beautifully and looks great. I wish the HUD had an option to integrate Apple Maps turn by turn, as the system navigation sucks in my opinion. First and only time I used it it took me in the complete opposite direction of my destination. I’m excited to be back in a car!! This thing zips and roars!
The following 7 users liked this post by moviechick:
a35tl (10-16-2020), CheeseyPoofs McNut (10-16-2020), dio (10-21-2020), Jiten Patel (10-16-2020), mapleloaf (10-16-2020), Pens Fan (10-16-2020), Tony Pac (10-16-2020) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-15-2020, 11:30 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,429 Likes on 1,879 Posts
Originally Posted by moviechick
I have had the 2021 TLX FWD Advanced package for 6 days now and love it. The engine serves perfect purpose for my driving abilities as I’m not looking to race the NASCAR circuit. I got $5k off the sticker price and they also absorbed the last 2 lease payments on my RDX (so an additional $960). I think the car handles beautifully and looks great. I wish the HUD had an option to integrate Apple Maps turn by turn, as the system navigation sucks in my opinion. First and only time I used it it took me in the complete opposite direction of my destination. I’m excited to be back in a car!! This thing zips and roars!
Wow that's one heck of a deal. Congrats!
moviechick (10-17-2020)
Old 10-16-2020, 07:11 AM
Racer

Received 236 Likes on 148 Posts
Nice to hear you are so happy and great to read "real life" experiences with the car. I test drove an Advance SH-AWD last week and was very impressed with the ride, engine performance, and luxurious interior. The true touch pad was the weakest aspect of the vehicle to me, but I found it somewhat better than the RDX loaner I drove previously so Acura has made some improvements to the tactile operation. It would not be the deal breaker I thought it could have been from my RDX driving experience..

Great deal as well-enjoy your new ride.
The following 2 users liked this post by Pens Fan:
amcobra (10-18-2020), moviechick (10-17-2020)
Old 10-16-2020, 07:33 AM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Received 381 Likes on 235 Posts
Originally Posted by Pens Fan
Nice to hear you are so happy and great to read "real life" experiences with the car. I test drove an Advance SH-AWD last week and was very impressed with the ride, engine performance, and luxurious interior. The true touch pad was the weakest aspect of the vehicle to me, but I found it somewhat better than the RDX loaner I drove previously so Acura has made some improvements to the tactile operation. It would not be the deal breaker I thought it could have been from my RDX driving experience..

Great deal as well-enjoy your new ride.
Every time I see your name, I read it as 'Penis Fan' before I read it again.

Just thought you'd like to know.
Old 10-16-2020, 08:21 AM
Instructor

Received 89 Likes on 50 Posts
Wow, now that is a great deal! So worth the money if they give you the 5k off!! Congrats on the new car
moviechick (10-17-2020)
Old 10-16-2020, 08:33 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,598 Likes on 961 Posts
Congrats! Great deal. Enjoy and rive safe!
moviechick (10-17-2020)
Old 10-16-2020, 09:20 AM
Pro

Received 544 Likes on 256 Posts
I’m starting to fall in love. Finally got my driving position set perfectly and setup the individual mode to all sport with the engine at normal. Now the thing is all around sweet. Love the driving position with the low cowl.

The car rides like a dream. I thought the previous generation’s A-spec suspension setup was on point. G-2 is even better. Love driving at night with the cabin lit up and my favorite cuts pumping out of the ELS. I suggest just putting your collection on shuffle and then marvel at how that system handles the output. Sound quality is the best I’ve experienced in a vehicle.

And those seats, WOW. Without a doubt the most comfortable seats that this guy has ever had in a car he’s owned. All in all its a great vehicle. Unfortunately I don’t think a brief test drive is going to demonstrate what a pleasure the car is to drive.

My guess is that the S will be damn near an orgasmic experience.

Last edited by Honda430; 10-16-2020 at 09:25 AM.
The following 8 users liked this post by Honda430:
a35tl (10-16-2020), CheeseyPoofs McNut (10-19-2020), Ludepower (10-27-2020), mapleloaf (10-19-2020), moviechick (10-17-2020), Pens Fan (10-16-2020), savvich (10-17-2020), Yesimzz (10-18-2020) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-16-2020, 06:43 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

I have zero interest in the 2G TLX. The exterior is too big and the interior is too small. Styling is fine, but not when it hurts function (making it harder to park), slower to accelerate, with no interior size benefit.

I generally like the interior content changes, but the vehicle is too big and heavy vs. previous one. That translates to slower acceleration in all cases and notably worse fuel economy. Paying more for this? No thanks.

Launch issues with a 310hp J35 would have been OK with a proper SH-AWD implementation (no vibration due to negligent rear differential QC) and/or higher performance tires that can grip.

On second thought, I would be very interested in a post MMC RDX Type-S if they offered it in SHAWD Advance and fixed the terrible unacceptable road/wind noise in the current RDX.
To be fair, the overall exterior dimensions aren't that much different. A couple inches longer and wider and the passenger volume actually went up slightly too. So it's not exactly getting bigger outside but smaller inside. It depends.

Also fuel economy wise, the rating went up slightly.

Acceleration, the new one is slower ultimately by a bit. But you know that 280lft of torque starting at 1600rpm helps quite a bit in regular driving. The drawback of this 2.0T is that it runs out of steam after 5000rpm. That's where the old V6 shines as VTEC kicks in and gives you that advantage in the acceleration tests.

I heard that they are no longer doing Type S for the RDX unfortunately.
Old 10-16-2020, 09:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 255 Posts
Originally Posted by iforyou
For sure, the S60 looks good and inside is very nice.

Yea I think it comes down to how you want your s60 or tlx is equipped. At $49k, that's a fully loaded TLX 2.0T, an almost fully loaded S60 T5, or a decently loaded S60 T6. So it come down to features vs performance. The T5 is slower than the TLX 2.0T, and the TLX 2.0T is slower than the T6 as per C/D. We don't know where the Type S stands though at the moment.
I heard Alex (AonA) talking about Volvos in a recent video about mid-sized sedans

I think I like how the main Infotainment screen is placed vertically in the S60. It seems very Tesla-like.
Of course the rest of the interior is more luxurious, refined, and Audi-like than Tesla.
Old 10-17-2020, 01:11 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

The interior in new Volvos are very clean, modern, and luxurious looking. A good place to be in for sure.
Old 10-17-2020, 01:32 PM
10th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Who did you buy the 2021 TLX advanced from?
Old 10-17-2020, 07:28 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Honda430
I’m starting to fall in love. Finally got my driving position set perfectly and setup the individual mode to all sport with the engine at normal. Now the thing is all around sweet. Love the driving position with the low cowl.

The car rides like a dream. I thought the previous generation’s A-spec suspension setup was on point. G-2 is even better. Love driving at night with the cabin lit up and my favorite cuts pumping out of the ELS. I suggest just putting your collection on shuffle and then marvel at how that system handles the output. Sound quality is the best I’ve experienced in a vehicle.

And those seats, WOW. Without a doubt the most comfortable seats that this guy has ever had in a car he’s owned. All in all its a great vehicle. Unfortunately I don’t think a brief test drive is going to demonstrate what a pleasure the car is to drive.

My guess is that the S will be damn near an orgasmic experience.
If you don’t mind sharing, what settings did you use?
Old 10-17-2020, 07:33 PM
Pro

Received 544 Likes on 256 Posts
If you don’t mind sharing, what settings did you use?
I put all settings on sport except for the engine which I se at normal. That way you get all the benefits of Sport without the eager transmission mapping.
The following 2 users liked this post by Honda430:
David Berk (11-02-2020), ELIN (11-06-2020)
Old 10-17-2020, 08:58 PM
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
Finally saw one on the road today. It came around the corner and at first i wasn't sure what it was. But then i noticed the big plastic shield. I will say that i was impressed with how it looked. It was low and wide and had a presence to itself. But with it being at night time, that shield is very noticeable lol.
Old 10-18-2020, 07:59 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Honda430
I put all settings on sport except for the engine which I se at normal. That way you get all the benefits of Sport without the eager transmission mapping.
I’ll have to give that a whirl today! Thanks!

i love that when I set individual mode I can disable the engine stop feature. Hate that!
Old 10-18-2020, 04:44 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Navy TL
Finally saw one on the road today. It came around the corner and at first i wasn't sure what it was. But then i noticed the big plastic shield. I will say that i was impressed with how it looked. It was low and wide and had a presence to itself. But with it being at night time, that shield is very noticeable lol.
I'm really not a fan of the shield. The new MDX looks much better.
Old 10-24-2020, 11:25 PM
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts
If this is really Acura's flagship vehicle, they have a lot of work to do. It's a neat little start I guess, but it doesn't scream top of the line. Another engine choice would have been nice and not just limiting that to the Type S. Just having the 10-speed automatic doesn't do it for me. Any sports sedan should offer a six-speed manual and if we're willing to pay $35 to $40,000 for the automatic, we would be paying that much for a manual so they should at least offer it. Also, where are some amenities like the power sunshade, power trunk, side sun shades, and rear heated seats?
Old 10-25-2020, 01:20 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by xjokerz
If this is really Acura's flagship vehicle, they have a lot of work to do. It's a neat little start I guess, but it doesn't scream top of the line. Another engine choice would have been nice and not just limiting that to the Type S. Just having the 10-speed automatic doesn't do it for me. Any sports sedan should offer a six-speed manual and if we're willing to pay $35 to $40,000 for the automatic, we would be paying that much for a manual so they should at least offer it. Also, where are some amenities like the power sunshade, power trunk, side sun shades, and rear heated seats?
The 2G TLX is NOT Acura's flagship. The new MDX will be. Given the attention the redesigned MDX received, it's clear that the new MDX is the flagship.

FWIW, the RLX Sport Hybrid Advance had so much potential and could have made a great flagship. Acura being cheap killed the vehicle. It's insane that the "flagship" RLX did not get the MMC infotainment update with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, IDS drive mode selector, adaptive dampers that the MDX Sport Hybrid did, and the open pore wood that the 19+ MDX got. It's insane.

Had Acura put at least the first three in the RLX, I'd have one in my garage right now. It had so much potential, but they cheapened out on MMC development vs the MDX. We own an MDX Sport Hybrid and love it. It is so much fun to drive. The RLX could have been a great flagship, but Acura did not deliver.

Last edited by AcuraGuy2016; 10-25-2020 at 01:22 AM.
dio (11-21-2020)
Old 10-25-2020, 03:13 AM
Pro

Received 267 Likes on 145 Posts
The 2G TLX is NOT Acura's flagship. The new MDX will be. Given the attention the redesigned MDX received, it's clear that the new MDX is the flagship.

FWIW, the RLX Sport Hybrid Advance had so much potential and could have made a great flagship. Acura being cheap killed the vehicle. It's insane that the "flagship" RLX did not get the MMC infotainment update with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, IDS drive mode selector, adaptive dampers that the MDX Sport Hybrid did, and the open pore wood that the 19+ MDX got. It's insane.

Had Acura put at least the first three in the RLX, I'd have one in my garage right now. It had so much potential, but they cheapened out on MMC development vs the MDX. We own an MDX Sport Hybrid and love it. It is so much fun to drive. The RLX could have been a great flagship, but Acura did not deliver.
acura stated themselves it’s their flagship sedan
Old 10-25-2020, 08:45 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by xjokerz
The TLX does have heated rear seats, if that helps.
Old 10-26-2020, 01:53 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 708 Likes on 325 Posts
The TLX does have heated rear seats, if that helps.
But only on the Advance (or Platinum Elite in Canada). If you want the sporty looks of the A-spec, you can’t get heated rear seats. Apparently, the Type S won’t have them either, even if you’re willing to pay for it.
Old 10-26-2020, 02:03 PM
Racer

Received 171 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by SebringSilver
But only on the Advance (or Platinum Elite in Canada). If you want the sporty looks of the A-spec, you can’t get heated rear seats. Apparently, the Type S won’t have them either, even if you’re willing to pay for it.
Or, rain-sensing wipers for the price you're paying.
KeithL (10-28-2020)
Old 10-27-2020, 06:57 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by SebringSilver
i have the Advamced. I wanted the features so I bought the model. It’s a great car. No one anywhere will ever be 100% satisfied with anything. But that’s the beauty of life. If you don’t like the choices you don’t have to buy it.

I love my 2021 TLX and am so happy to own it over the 2018 RDX I traded im
The following 2 users liked this post by moviechick:
a35tl (10-27-2020), Tony Pac (11-06-2020)
Old 10-27-2020, 07:09 AM
Pro

Received 499 Likes on 244 Posts
Originally Posted by Carnage719
But the Canadian Type S gets the rain-sensing wipers though.
Old 10-27-2020, 10:42 AM
06 G35 6MT

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by bilirubin
But the Canadian Type S gets the rain-sensing wipers though.
And power mirrors and remote start but no fucking 360 cam n HUD or heated rears... So frustrating but we are once again beating a dead horse... Acura better change that between now and release.
Old 10-27-2020, 11:03 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 255 Posts
Originally Posted by Vicious Type S
And power mirrors and remote start but no 360 cam, HUD, or heated rears... So frustrating but we are once again beating a dead horse... Acura better change that between now and release.
The 360-cam is actually pretty nice, and a little better than the (multi-level) parking sensors alone. I think the Canadians (and USA customers up north) really like the rear-heated seats.

But yeah, even if Type-S was on my short list, not sure I would get too concerned until the car is actually released ... or we get closer and a new spec-sheet is possibly released.
Old 10-27-2020, 12:22 PM
06 G35 6MT

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts
The 360-cam is actually pretty nice, and a little better than the (multi-level) parking sensors alone. I think the Canadians (and USA customers up north) really like the rear-heated seats.

But yeah, even if Type-S was on my short list, not sure I would get too concerned until the car is actually released ... or we get closer and a new spec-sheet is possibly released.
I have a hydraulic lift in my garage, it's not a big garage (single) but with the TLX being wider than all my vehicles, it would just make life so much easier squeezing it in with the 360 cam, but ur right. Gotta wait and hopefully not be disappointed come spring.
Tesla1856 (10-27-2020)
Old 10-27-2020, 07:28 PM
Volvo Defector

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Carnage719
If they're anything like the rain sensing wipers in my 2015 TLX Advance, they're trash. They're not much better in my 2019 S60 either. Seems to be a useless feature to me. It either goes too fast, starts up randomly without any rain, or goes too slow when its downpouring. I constantly had/have to adjust them.

Quick Reply: Does anyone LOVE the new TLX?