Car & Driver numbers are in….not too good

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2021, 04:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 562 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by DubPK
Did I once say that a person shopping for a German performance car would look at the TLX-S? No, I didn't. I said a person with NO BRAND LOYALTY simply looking at performance sedans in $50,000 to $60,000 price range would naturally be forced to compare the two making them competitors. Is this concept that fucking hard to understand? Jesus christ I'm fucking done.
Why you so frustrated? You said they are competitors based on price. If they are competing people will cross shop. Nobody would cross shop a Porsche GT2 with a Rolls Royce Phantom just because they cost similar. People looking at a performance sedan want performance and the TLX isn’t up to par it doesn’t compete. IS500 , M340i, S4/S5 Sportback, C43 AMG are competitors. Because price is similar and performance is close. The Red Sport performance is actually closer to all those cars but it’s not a competition. It’s not even in the conversation with those cars. The Red Sport actually costs nearly as much or more than those cars before discounts depending how optioned. TLX isn’t even close to any of those cars. It’s closer to an A4 they should have priced it like an A4.

Last edited by Kense; 07-18-2021 at 04:54 PM.
Old 07-18-2021, 05:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 672 Likes on 417 Posts
Originally Posted by 04WDPSeDaN
I skipped over this comment made by someone who joined to ask opinions on KTuner vs Hondata. I couldn't connect the dots, so he might be quoting someone else statement. I have not seen or heard a TLX-S nailing 4.5 on light weight wheels. AHC didn't do it so someone is making up stories here.

in 6-12 months after testing, we are targeting 460-500 HP/480-500 LB FT given the engine capability after everything is tuned. I don’t understand why people get on here and trash the car? So don’t buy it. Mine will arrive on August 18th and I’ll drive it on the weekends. If you don’t like it, don’t buy it. There’s no doubt they left some power on the table. That being said, it’s also the size of a 5-series. No one is launching the car. We got 4.5 on a demo with the lightweight wheels. When it smokes an M3 out of frame next year, all these folks will disappear.

So once again, whats to say that the M3/M4 guys won't tune their vehicles either? From what I've always seen on the BMW forums, performance gains are the top priority. I don't know why these guys are making such bold statements on a vehicle that has no aftermarket support..
A G80 M3/M4 isn't going to need anything. The heavier Type-S is going to need over 500wHP/500wTQ to even keep the M from running away. It'll likely need 550+wHP to start actually creeping past. I very highly doubt the stock drivetrain is up to coping with that kind of power.

That being said, the Type-S has no place being compared to the M3 ... that's like somebody from a high school basketball team challenging Lebron to a game of pick-up. Edmunds just did a video of the M4 against the C8 Corvette and from a dig, it's a driver's race. From a roll, the M4 runs away, it's incredible. I'd love to see what the CT5-V Blackwing can do against it ... my guess is it'll be a lot closer than some people think. Those turbos just make such an incredibly broad powerband over PD blowers. I love my American muscle, but I wish they'd embrace turbos over superchargers.

That aside, if the Type-S can reliably make mid-to-upper 400wHP with a turbo swap and FBO + tune, I'll be the first one to eat my words. I'll sing the praises of Honda from atop Mt. Fuji. And I'll do it all with the stupid base wheels that everybody hates, just to pour salt on the wounds of people thinking they were running a stock Type-S by somebody who cheaped out and wouldn't even get the optional wheels ... and because my stupid brain actually, for some reason, likes them better than the Y-spokes.
Old 07-18-2021, 05:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
I skipped over this comment made by someone who joined to ask opinions on KTuner vs Hondata. I couldn't connect the dots, so he might be quoting someone else statement. I have not seen or heard a TLX-S nailing 4.5 on light weight wheels. AHC didn't do it so someone is making up stories here.

in 6-12 months after testing, we are targeting 460-500 HP/480-500 LB FT given the engine capability after everything is tuned. I don’t understand why people get on here and trash the car? So don’t buy it. Mine will arrive on August 18th and I’ll drive it on the weekends. If you don’t like it, don’t buy it. There’s no doubt they left some power on the table. That being said, it’s also the size of a 5-series. No one is launching the car. We got 4.5 on a demo with the lightweight wheels. When it smokes an M3 out of frame next year, all these folks will disappear.

So once again, whats to say that the M3/M4 guys won't tune their vehicles either? From what I've always seen on the BMW forums, performance gains are the top priority. I don't know why these guys are making such bold statements on a vehicle that has no aftermarket support..
Do this google 1000BHP BMW's. Problem is with most of the guys they think drag racing & track day. There is a lot of money spent on 1/2 mile & full mile races like the Texas Mile. Lots of very expensive Exotics with very expensive modifications. BMW has always done well in the airport races generally wear the high power mods go to play.

About the big take in that 4.5 cut. Might be interesting to tell the guy that the M3 has 503bhp off the dealers lot. BTW pure stock off of the dealers lot the M5 at 4200 lbs 600+ BHP advertised will run heads is with the 500BHP Stingray that weighs 3347lbs both running sub 3 second 0-60. Like them or not IMHO BMW is one of the premier engine builders for street applications..

The M4 in the vid is traction limited. Advantage to mid engine Corvette. The 3347lb Corvette is either 495bhp or 500bhp based on exhaust option The M4 3855lbs is 503bhp. Corvette is lighter advantage Corvette.

Thing to remember this M4 is RWD. AWD is now an option on the coupe while the Convertible is only AWD.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 07-18-2021 at 05:33 PM.
The following users liked this post:
04WDPSeDaN (07-18-2021)
Old 07-18-2021, 06:14 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,159 Likes on 1,387 Posts
Originally Posted by leomio2.0
This is why I can't stand this argument. "wEll, siMiLarlY equiPPed tHe mSrP iS wAy m0r3!" Yes, when you load it up with all the options ... and they omit the fact that those packages then offer features and options that aren't even an option on the Type-S. I've built an M340i xDrive and S4 exactly how I'd have them, and they were both under $60k. My S4, with the two main features I'm looking for included (adaptive cruise and ventilated seats), came out to $55.6k. Literally $2k more, which you'd make up with the S4 being more fuel efficient (20 city/28 highway) in ~10yrs, according to average driving habits by fueleconomy.gov.
I've owned three Audis and I'll be honest, you're going through contortions to justify your point.

It doesn't matter how you feel about an argument if the argument is valid.
Old 07-18-2021, 06:51 PM
Drifting

Received 1,246 Likes on 904 Posts
I think what everyone's forgetting is that the performance of the A4 is relatively new for 2021 due to the mild hybrid (someone correct me on this if needed). If Acura only had the 2019-2020 A4 performance to go by (no reason to think otherwise), then the gap b/w A4 and S4 would have been wider and the TLX-S would have slotted comfortably b/w them. I don't think Audi incorporated the mild hybrid just to poor salt on the TLX-S intro but rather as a natural progression of their lineup.

It was really just bad timing on Acura's part to have the TLX-S and the 2021 A4 debut in the same year.
Old 07-18-2021, 07:01 PM
Racer

Received 237 Likes on 155 Posts
. Edmunds just did a video of the M4 against the C8 Corvette and from a dig, it's a driver's race.
On C&D the C8 made 2.8 0-60 which I think it's faster than an M4....
Old 07-18-2021, 07:33 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Kense
People looking at a performance sedan want performance and the TLX isn’t up to par it doesn’t compete. IS500 , M340i, S4/S5 Sportback, C43 AMG are competitors. Because price is similar and performance is close. The Red Sport performance is actually closer to all those cars but it’s not a competition. It’s not even in the conversation with those cars. The Red Sport actually costs nearly as much or more than those cars before discounts depending how optioned. TLX isn’t even close to any of those cars. It’s closer to an A4 they should have priced it like an A4.
Still they are competitors technically...less popular but competitors regardless. Similar prices and ballpark performance.
Old 07-18-2021, 08:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by 4G-Lover
Agree. BMW claims 3.8 on their web site Chevy 2.8 both the same as C&D listed. So it should be the C8 4 for 4 by a wide margin.

Hard to figure since the M4 won 3 out of 4 races

C&D showed the C8 almost a full second ahead in the 1/4 with a one MPH advantage122/121MPH in terminal speed. Problem is the vid did not show .8 separation at the 1/4 in the single race that the C8 won. In race 1 the M4 had a clear lead with a hole shot, no real contest. Race 2 the C8 got out on a better launch but the M4 was closing the gap down the stretch & cars overlapped at the finish very good race.

The the 2 roll races the M4 was dominant. Believe the 503BHP overpowers its available RWD traction on launch & has a way more power than advertised. It take mega horsepower to close like that down the stretch. Its 285 wide tires are the same as my car with only 382BHP which also overpowers them. Once the tires are beat launch control throttles it back. When they do it again with the AWD M4 I expect it will go 4 for 4.

Never though when I was starting out you would be able to crush our Drag Slick Super Stocks with a normal production car on street tires
leomio2.0 (07-18-2021)
Old 07-18-2021, 08:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by ELIN
I think what everyone's forgetting is that the performance of the A4 is relatively new for 2021 due to the mild hybrid (someone correct me on this if needed). If Acura only had the 2019-2020 A4 performance to go by (no reason to think otherwise), then the gap b/w A4 and S4 would have been wider and the TLX-S would have slotted comfortably b/w them. I don't think Audi incorporated the mild hybrid just to poor salt on the TLX-S intro but rather as a natural progression of their lineup.

It was really just bad timing on Acura's part to have the TLX-S and the 2021 A4 debut in the same year.
BMW was stepping up with the mild hybrid. Both Audi & MB need to match them. Not sure but if all three use the 8ZF its a pretty easy change if they do. The traditional torque converter is replaced with an electric motor & control electronics. Instant turbo lag reduction off the line.
ELIN (07-18-2021)
Old 07-18-2021, 08:51 PM
Some Guy Who Loves Cars

Received 280 Likes on 173 Posts
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Those guys are internet modders, not skinned knuckles ones. What they were advocating doing & the results they expected to achieve clearly demonstrates most don't have a clue.
I read those comments and thought two things:
1) they sound like young male keyboard jockeys who just watched Fast & Furious and are stroking each other about taking their STIs to Cobb. The STI, by the way, is better performance stock at a lower price and is easy to soup up well above what you could do to the Type S performance.
2) they grossly overestimate the interest in and parts availability for modding a limited production $55k Acura, of which most of these will likely go to middle aged executive businessmen who have never changed their own spark plugs (or air filters) and are too busy all weekend coaching their kids baseball teams to mod a car. Those guys posting and raving about the Type S are idiots.
The following 2 users liked this post by someguy11:
04WDPSeDaN (07-19-2021), BEAR-AvHistory (07-18-2021)
Old 07-18-2021, 08:56 PM
Burning Brakes

I thought so too, but I was referencing the Edmunds video that Bear posted. Maybe Carlos wasn't using launch control properly?
Old 07-18-2021, 09:10 PM
Racer

I thought so too, but I was referencing the Edmunds video that Bear posted. Maybe Carlos wasn't using launch control properly?
I find hard to believe the M4 can outrun a C8 on the 1/4 in normal conditions...something was not right with that C8 or its pilot. The M4 is already bumping against the traction limits of its traditional RWD architecture.

Last edited by 4G-Lover; 07-18-2021 at 09:14 PM.
Old 07-18-2021, 09:17 PM
Suzuka Master

Couple things in race 1 the C8 driver just got killed on his reaction time. Race was over before he even moved. Said quite a few times a slower car can beat a faster one at the starting line. Race 2 was better the C8 got out like I expected it too, but the M4 showed a lot more power by running him down for a close finish. If it was a 1/3 instead of 1/4 the M4 would have gotten past the C8. Interesting point this is a 3L VS 6.2L engine.

The two roll races are all about pure power as launch is taken out of it. The S58 is one tuff engine. Lots of griping on the M4 site about the Coupe getting the AWD option. The purists hate the idea. What some of them are not aware of is the software can run the car as a pure RWD. The way it stands I can run an RWD M4 to a tie at 60MPH before the crusher hits me & the M4 is gone. The RWD version has launching problems with both its Audi & MB opposite numbers which are ready are AWD.
Old 07-18-2021, 09:28 PM
Racer

. Interesting point this is a 3L VS 6.2L engine.

...but you are comparing a heavily turbocharged engine with a naturally aspirated one.....how many HP the M4 Competition put at the wheels???
Old 07-18-2021, 09:32 PM
Suzuka Master

This what I am talking about why its stupid to get a RWD M4. Watch the AWD Audi eat its lunch in the first race.

Old 07-18-2021, 09:34 PM
Suzuka Master

...but you are comparing a heavily turbocharged engine with a naturally aspirated one.....how many HP the M4 Competition put at the wheels???
DynoJet says 505WHP stock @ 91 octane. I don't know how heavily turbo charged it is. Has to run on California 91 octane which generally sucks compared to other states gas.

Here in NC we run 93 as our normal premium so it will put down a few more ponies on our gas. Modified with a standard JB4 $800 & a Fuel It $400 to handle E47 it moves up to 658WHP. Still running all stock parts including the two turbos.

Really it a very amazing engine. Heavy turbo charging with new turbos & supporting hardware are running 1000WHP

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 07-18-2021 at 09:45 PM.
Old 07-18-2021, 09:43 PM
Burning Brakes

DynoJet says 505WHP stock @ 91 octane. I don't know how heavily turbo charged it is. Has to run on California 91 octane. Here in NC we run 93 as our normal preimum so it will put down a few more ponies on our gas. Modified with a standard JB4 $800 & a Fuel It $400 to handle E47 it moves up to 658WHP. Still running all stock parts including the two turbos.
How the heck do you even know that you got the right mixture of E47? Like, how do you even go about mixing it? To me, it would be more of a PITA than it's worth. I'd rather run straight E85, but I'm assuming the fuel system would need an overhaul to cope with it?
Old 07-18-2021, 09:49 PM
Racer

DynoJet says 505WHP stock @ 91 octane. I don't know how heavily turbo charged it is. Has to run on California 91 octane which generally sucks compared to other states gas.

Here in NC we run 93 as our normal premium so it will put down a few more ponies on our gas. Modified with a standard JB4 $800 & a Fuel It $400 to handle E47 it moves up to 658WHP. Still running all stock parts including the two turbos.
Stock boost for the previous M4 (non Competition) is over 18 psi which is fairly heavy turbocharging for a stock gasoline engine (1.3 bar). I remember boost pressure for stock gasoline engines in the 1990s was running at about 0.7-0.8, 1 bar was reached in overboosting conditions only for few instants.

505 WHP is at least 560-570 at the crank.......going back to the marketing issues, I do not understand why non German manufacturers are not reacting to this and starting to underrate their engines as well or at least bringing their engines to the true output of the German, and in particular BMW, ones.
Old 07-18-2021, 10:49 PM
Suzuka Master

How the heck do you even know that you got the right mixture of E47? Like, how do you even go about mixing it? To me, it would be more of a PITA than it's worth. I'd rather run straight E85, but I'm assuming the fuel system would need an overhaul to cope with it?
Development engine expect they were feeling it from jerry cans. I used to run a 93/100 mix 50/50 as a daily driver. When 100 was not available ran a 40% E85 60% 93. Car would not run on straight E85 with out work I did not want to do. Track & drag day 100% 100
Old 07-18-2021, 11:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Stock boost for the previous M4 (non Competition) is over 18 psi which is fairly heavy turbocharging for a stock gasoline engine (1.3 bar). I remember boost pressure for stock gasoline engines in the 1990s was running at about 0.7-0.8, 1 bar was reached in overboosting conditions only for few instants.

505 WHP is at least 560-570 at the crank.......going back to the marketing issues, I do not understand why non German manufacturers are not reacting to this and starting to underrate their engines as well or at least bringing their engines to the true output of the German, and in particular BMW, ones.
Agree read the comment around "550"

I was running 18.5 psi in 2011on the N54 tuned. 335is stock had a 15psi overboost function from normal 10psi lasted 7 to 10 seconds.. B58 20-21psi or 23/24psi if you are brave & your wallet can handle the BANG. S58 base & competition are much stronger than the B58. Over 80% of the parts within the S58 are different than the B58. Forging etc. Don't know what the base or tuned versions are doing for boost. Only thing is injector pressure is up from 200 bar to 350 bar so I expect cylinder pressures are up quite a bit.
Old 07-20-2021, 09:55 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 708 Likes on 325 Posts
I just have this funny feeling that Type S owners will be revving their engines like mad at any opportunity they get to demonstrate what a loud and amazing car they’ve got. Of course there will be some who are actually mature and sensible, but I can’t help but think there’s going to be a lot of silliness taking place soon.
The following 2 users liked this post by SebringSilver:
BEAR-AvHistory (07-21-2021), vhtran (07-20-2021)
Old 07-20-2021, 11:07 AM
Pro

Received 499 Likes on 244 Posts
Since there's now 2 different threads discussing C&D's review, here's what I posted in the original Type S review thread (see quote below). Just to recap, C&D uses 5-60 mph as their metric for launches without using launch control or brake torquing. I never brake boost my S5 Sportback and prefer 5-60 as it takes into account things like turbo lag and throttle response. More of a "real world" metric for acceleration.
Originally Posted by bilirubin
5-60 times (Car & Driver)
4.7s BMW M340i
4.9s Volvo S60 T8
5.0s Infiniti Q50 Red Sport
5.1s C43 AMG
5.3s Kia Stinger GT
5.4s Mercedes C450 AMG (pre-refresh)
5.5s TLX Type S, Cadillac CT5-V RWD, Porsche Panamera 3.0T
5.6s BMW 435i Gran Coupe (prior gen)
5.7s Audi S4, RLX Sport Hybrid
5.8s Audi S5 Sportback, BMW 340i (prior gen), Civic Type R, TLX (G1 FWD), TL Type S (G3)
*5.9s Accord 2.0T (*on 40k-mile test, 6.4s when new)
6.0s Lexus IS350 F-sport
Legend2TL (07-20-2021)
Old 07-20-2021, 12:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts

So what you are saying is that Acura doesn’t grasp the concept of shooting at a moving target? Ever been dove hunting?
Old 07-20-2021, 12:35 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by jjsC5
So what you are saying is that Acura doesn’t grasp the concept of shooting at a moving target? Ever been dove hunting?
Unfortunately, that's what it looks like. Type S performance numbers would have been near the top 10 years ago. Scrapping the Sport Hybrid probably set them back at least 5 years if not more!
Old 07-20-2021, 12:46 PM
Racer

Unfortunately, that's what it looks like. Type S performance numbers would have been near the top 10 years ago. Scrapping the Sport Hybrid probably set them back at least 5 years if not more!
C&D test results

Current TLX Type S

0-60 mph: 4.9 sec
5–60 mph: 5.5 sec

100 mph: 12.6 sec
130 mph: 24.2 sec

1/4-Mile: 13.6 sec @ 103 mph
Braking, 70–0 mph: 165 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft Skidpad: 0.96 g

TL SH-AWD 6MT (12 years ago)

0-60 mph: 5.2 sec
5-60 mph: 5.8 sec

100 mph: 13.5 sec
130 mph: 26.5 sec
1/4 mile: 13.8 sec @ 101 mph
Braking, 70-0 mph: 158 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.93 g

Last edited by 4G-Lover; 07-20-2021 at 12:48 PM.
Old 07-20-2021, 02:48 PM
Air Vice Marshal

Received 300 Likes on 155 Posts
C&D test results

Current TLX Type S

0-60 mph: 4.9 sec
5–60 mph: 5.5 sec

100 mph: 12.6 sec
130 mph: 24.2 sec

1/4-Mile: 13.6 sec @ 103 mph
Braking, 70–0 mph: 165 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft Skidpad: 0.96 g

TL SH-AWD 6MT (12 years ago)

0-60 mph: 5.2 sec
5-60 mph: 5.8 sec

100 mph: 13.5 sec
130 mph: 26.5 sec
1/4 mile: 13.8 sec @ 101 mph
Braking, 70-0 mph: 158 ft
Any chance you have the C&D numbers for the '07 Type-S 6MT w/o SH-AWD?
Old 07-20-2021, 03:07 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by mike03a3
Yes, here

0-60 mph: 5.5 sec
0-100 mph: 13.9 sec
0-130 mph: 25.8 sec
5–60 mph: 5.8 sec
1/4 mile 14.1 sec @ 101 mph
Braking, 70–0 mph: 163 ft

In 2 years the 4G SH-AWD 6MT showed the same level of performance improvement over the 3G Type S that the TLX Type S took 12 more years to achieve over a 4G SH-AWD......

Last edited by 4G-Lover; 07-20-2021 at 03:14 PM.
Old 07-20-2021, 03:13 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by mike03a3
TL-S at 5.7-5.8 sec from 0-60 and 14.3 @99.9 1/4 mile. (6MT 07-08 TL-S)

All automatic 3rd gen TL's are slower than the 6MT.

No 3rd gen TL came with SH-AWD, only the 4th gen TL did with a 6MT option.

Old 07-20-2021, 04:39 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,146 Likes on 818 Posts
The sole purpose of the existence of the RLX/MDX Sport Hybrid powertrain was to temporary fill in the gap for high output (>350hp) V6 engines. The RLX/MDX Sport Hybrid was designed to boost engine power, and not to maximize fuel economy.

Now that the J-series turbo-V6 can assume the task, there is no more need for the Sport Hybrid powertrain to exist, for the purpose of boosting engine horsepower.

For high power application, there is this turbo-V6 engine. For clean air and maximize fuel economy applications, EV is the clear choice, and for the time being, regular hybrid (not Sport Hybrid) is the way to go until EV battery technology becomes more mature.

So there is nothing to set back, because complex Sport Hybrid is never the future.
Old 07-20-2021, 04:47 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
The sole purpose of the existence of the RLX/MDX Sport Hybrid powertrain was to temporary fill in the gap for high output (>350hp) V6 engines. The RLX/MDX Sport Hybrid was designed to boost engine power, and not to maximize fuel economy.

Now that the J-series turbo-V6 can assume the task, there is no more need for the Sport Hybrid powertrain to exist, for the purpose of boosting engine horsepower.

For high power application, there is this turbo-V6 engine. For clean air and maximize fuel economy applications, EV is the clear choice, and for the time being, regular hybrid (not Sport Hybrid) is the way to go until EV battery technology becomes more mature.

So there is nothing to set back, because complex Sport Hybrid is never the future.
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the Acura implementation of the SH equivalent to the MH (mild hybrid) now being used on the "nearly as fast as the Type S" A4? Touche, Audi. Touche.
Old 07-20-2021, 05:00 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,172 Likes on 2,590 Posts
Originally Posted by Edward'TLS

So there is nothing to set back, because complex Sport Hybrid is never the future
+1, the SH-AWD hybrid system was pretty revolutionary in vehicle performance in differential wheel torque vectoring but also did not sell well unfortunately. Then again vast majority of mainstream luxury hybrids have had poor sales.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the Acura implementation of the SH equivalent to the MH (mild hybrid) now being used on the "nearly as fast as the Type S" A4? Touche, Audi. Touche.
You're wrong, the mild 48VDC engine hybrid is not equivalent to the Honda/Acura SH-AWD that's used on the NSX and RLX. The Audi is just a low-cost engine assist hybrid motor.
The only direct comparison I know of to the hybrid SH-AWD is the new Ferrari SF90 which is essentially a copy of the 2G NSX drivetrain but with twice the power.

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/review...coupe-preview/

Last edited by Legend2TL; 07-20-2021 at 05:03 PM.
ELIN (07-20-2021)
Old 07-20-2021, 05:02 PM
Pro

Received 267 Likes on 145 Posts
Not sure if this has been posted but check out the power against.

View this post on Instagram
The following 2 users liked this post by djhtsx:
ELIN (07-20-2021), F23A4 (07-20-2021)
Old 07-20-2021, 05:03 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Legend2TL
+1, the SH-AWD hybrid system was pretty revolutionary in vehicle performance in differential wheel torque but also did not sell well unfortunately. Then again vast majority of mainstream luxury hybrids have had poor sales.

You're wrong, the mild 48VDC engine hybrid is not equivalent to the Honda/Acura SH-AWD that's used on the NSX and RLX. The Audi is just a low-cost engine assist hybrid motor, something Honda did two decades ago with the 1G Insight.
The only direct comparison I know of to the hybrid SH-AWD is the new Ferrari SF90 which is essentially a copy of the 2G NSX drivetrain but with twice the power.

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/review...coupe-preview/
Thanks for the correction! Really wish Acura had the foresight to use some sort of MH tech on the current lineup. Oh well...
Old 07-20-2021, 05:04 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by djhtsx
Not sure if this has been posted but check out the power against.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CRj5rgnH...dium=copy_link
How much would such a tune cost?
Old 07-20-2021, 05:06 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,146 Likes on 818 Posts
Why go the complicated route of multiple motors, battery charging, controller computer, electrical reliability liability setup when the same task can be done with simply a turbo-V6 and torque-vectoring AWD mechanics ?

Carry on Audi. Honda has been through this path and will laugh at you a couple years down the road.

Old 07-20-2021, 05:06 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,172 Likes on 2,590 Posts
Thanks for the correction! Really wish Acura had the foresight to use some sort of MH tech on the current lineup. Oh well...
I don't see the Japanese going the MH route, there's not much interest there. Honda did alot of planar electric assist motors in their hybrids but Toyota really upped them with the Prius technology.
It's a EV future, unfortunately Honda/Acura have been lagging behind there for quite some time. I'll be curious to see what the joint GM partnership produces?
Old 07-20-2021, 06:25 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

How much would such a tune cost?
Not just a tune but with CTR turbo swap, PRL intercooler, RV6 down pipe and K&N filter.
Old 07-20-2021, 06:27 PM

Received 16,263 Likes on 11,973 Posts
Not just a tune but with CTR turbo swap, PRL intercooler, RV6 down pipe and K&N filter.
in other words..

"more than you can afford, pal"

Last edited by justnspace; 07-20-2021 at 06:30 PM.
04WDPSeDaN (07-20-2021)
Old 07-20-2021, 06:48 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Last edited by 04WDPSeDaN; 07-20-2021 at 06:58 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 04WDPSeDaN:
Acuraaaw (07-22-2021), someguy11 (07-20-2021)
Old 07-20-2021, 06:53 PM
Pro

Received 267 Likes on 145 Posts
[QUOTE=04WDPSeDaN;16740007]

[/

cant wait to see what a simple down pipe, filter and tune would produce for this engine.

Last edited by djhtsx; 07-20-2021 at 06:59 PM.
Ghostof TypeS Past (07-20-2021)

Quick Reply: Car & Driver numbers are in….not too good