Car & Driver numbers are in….not too good

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2021, 09:17 AM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by dmski
So much drama. Leomio2.0 you definitely sound like an Audi fanboy here praising Audi nonstop. Go buy one and enjoy it. I don't see BMW owners bashing Audi non stop in Audi forums for being much slower.
I really didn't want to make this post but like I said to Jeffery, If I want to call someone out I will do so because it's time to grow up.

Since you and your pals in your safe space of the TLX generation 2 Facebook group talk so much shit, I'll gladly point out various posts to show you the delusional bullshit being said.

Victor:
What i find hilarious is that everyone is so obsessed with the fact that it is slower than the segment STOCK. Keyword STOCK. The majority of people buying this car is going to MOD it and once it is modded this car will be quick and handle great. But im sure someone will reply to me saying that the issue is that that it isn’t fast enough stock lol. Or people gonna say that we are in denial and can’t handle the truth lmaoo no one gives a fuck people gonna mod this car. The only people that will leave it stock will be those that are either happy with the stock performance or want the absolute most reliability which you can still get modded so long as you don’t push it too hard.

Cale:
Only difference is bmw’s cost a ton of money to maintain & shit the bed @180-200k miles. Acura’s are reliable. U know how many bmws i see broken down lol nice cars, shitty reliability

Chris:
So for the Type S bashers, what y’all drive?
Tryna see sumn

Cameron:
This car with an open flow exhaust will run with anything in its class in a straight line. It’s so de tuned. Acura builds the cars to run 200k miles and nothing less.

Adam:
Stands for So many fucking annoying comments from people who won't even buy it and it's best looking car right now.

Sean:
I think it means that Mr. Admin of this group needs to clean house and kick out all those shit talkers who probably can’t even afford this car hahaha!

Stephen:
Some of y’all are super annoying and all you do is complain. Why even be in this group? Just exit stage left and you’ll never have to think about the TLX/Type-S ever again and can go on about your life.

Christian:
Because people who complain can't affort the car

Mike:
Because they're e-thugs and go against the grain; drinking their Sugar Free Red Bulls while trying to learn the newest TikTok dance.

Adam:
Some people just need to buy a Toyota corolla and stfu

Alma:
Drop in air filter and open up the exhaust 400 hp+.

Giovanni:
Lol most people hating on it can't afford it or any of it's competitors. It's the internet, people are bored.

Jarred:
How about the awesome safety tech or awesome sound system or super comfy seats or reliability or standard set of features or looks or sound or whatever else I’m missing. Is it fastest 0-60, no but if that’s why you’re buying a car none of what you mentioned above is good at 0-60

Xavier:
God are we really still talking about this?? Like seriously??? For fucks sake! Let it gooooooooo and I personally think the Type S looks better than any of its German competitors.

Jonas:
Stop complaining its a Honda with forged rods and forged crank. Aftermarket will push this puppy to 600hp in NO TIME!!!!!!!!!!

Rudy:
All I know is this is a performance car with FORGED INTERNALS wait until its tuned to see it’s true performance

Jorge:
Those who have a type s what is your monthly payment? When I went to go get one they hit me with 1100 a month with 5k down

Scott:
Just wait.. 10K in mods and the type-s will walk the new M3. The Type-s will be a tru sleper

Shall I keep on going smart ass?

So riddle me this batman, you obtained the TLX-S, are you leasing it or did you walk in there and buy it out right?
I'm curious to see what the connection is to having an opinion on not liking a vehicle or anything relates to not being able to afford it.
I thought you and your Acura pro buddies (here and that group) didn't care about performance.. So why the "need to have a bigger penis" to prove my TLX-S can beat real performance vehicles like the M3. So it's OK to modify one vehicle in order to beat a STOCK vehicle, but the STOCK vehicle can also be modified.. So where's the logic behind that? Oh right because iTs GoT FoRgEd InTeRNaaLSs......

The way I see it, you guys toss around delusional statements in your safe space of a group, fueling each others ego's as if it's a support group to make yourselves feel better about a purchase or justify the purchase. Then you have serveral of the same clowns here who are such PRO Acura and Honda fans but haven't bought anything new in the last 10+ years and can't afford to use OEM parts, but will be the 1st ones to defend the brand and tell you how reliable they are and yet drive rolling dumpsters. So why use aftermarket parts, why not go OEM since its the best?

The other thing you guys seem to not get through your heads, is a tune isn't going to make a 5.3 sec vehicle now run 4.2 0-60.. Achieving 600 HP doesn't mean that the driveterrain will hold up to the additional stresses, but why should you be concern, ItS ReLiAbLe.. Right?

The difference in a vehicle like the M3 is that the driveterrain is made to handle to power, but nothing is invisible.

You called me a "drama queen" because I made a valid statement about obtaining a type-s and not paying over MSRP. Since you wanted to be cute, there are 278 Acura dealerships in the US. There are 2000 TLX-S available. Approximately 7 allowed per dealership but that hasn't been the case now has it? So lets say I wanted a TLX-S but refused to pay over MSRP and ended up finding one 300 miles away, would you consider that convenient? Considering the fact that hey i'm pro Honda and always owned Honda or Acura. But no, you seem to think I was being dramatic about it. So would you travel 300 miles to obtain a type-s and not pay MSRP?

As I told two other huge pro fanboys here, it's time to grow up. If you can't handle someone having an opinion or valid facts, then log off. I can be as petty and tell you I own everything outright that's in my name including my home and I don't need to lease or get into debt to flex to a bunch of strangers on-line.
The following 6 users liked this post by 04WDPSeDaN:
BEAR-AvHistory (07-18-2021), csmeance (07-18-2021), leomio2.0 (07-18-2021), Monte TLS,MAX (07-18-2021), pyrodan007 (07-18-2021), someguy11 (07-18-2021) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-18-2021, 09:43 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 562 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by 04WDPSeDaN
I really didn't want to make this post but like I said to Jeffery, If I want to call someone out I will do so because it's time to grow up.

Since you and your pals in your safe space of the TLX generation 2 Facebook group talk so much shit, I'll gladly point out various posts to show you the delusional bullshit being said.

Victor:
What i find hilarious is that everyone is so obsessed with the fact that it is slower than the segment STOCK. Keyword STOCK. The majority of people buying this car is going to MOD it and once it is modded this car will be quick and handle great. But im sure someone will reply to me saying that the issue is that that it isn’t fast enough stock lol. Or people gonna say that we are in denial and can’t handle the truth lmaoo no one gives a fuck people gonna mod this car. The only people that will leave it stock will be those that are either happy with the stock performance or want the absolute most reliability which you can still get modded so long as you don’t push it too hard.

Cale:
Only difference is bmw’s cost a ton of money to maintain & shit the bed @180-200k miles. Acura’s are reliable. U know how many bmws i see broken down lol nice cars, shitty reliability

Chris:
Tryna see sumn

Cameron:
This car with an open flow exhaust will run with anything in its class in a straight line. It’s so de tuned. Acura builds the cars to run 200k miles and nothing less.

Adam:
Stands for So many fucking annoying comments from people who won't even buy it and it's best looking car right now.

Sean:
I think it means that Mr. Admin of this group needs to clean house and kick out all those shit talkers who probably can’t even afford this car hahaha!

Stephen:
Some of y’all are super annoying and all you do is complain. Why even be in this group? Just exit stage left and you’ll never have to think about the TLX/Type-S ever again and can go on about your life.

Christian:

Mike:
Because they're e-thugs and go against the grain; drinking their Sugar Free Red Bulls while trying to learn the newest TikTok dance.

Adam:

Alma:

Giovanni:
Lol most people hating on it can't afford it or any of it's competitors. It's the internet, people are bored.

Jarred:
How about the awesome safety tech or awesome sound system or super comfy seats or reliability or standard set of features or looks or sound or whatever else I’m missing. Is it fastest 0-60, no but if that’s why you’re buying a car none of what you mentioned above is good at 0-60

Xavier:
God are we really still talking about this?? Like seriously??? For fucks sake! Let it gooooooooo and I personally think the Type S looks better than any of its German competitors.

Jonas:
Stop complaining its a Honda with forged rods and forged crank. Aftermarket will push this puppy to 600hp in NO TIME!!!!!!!!!!

Rudy:
All I know is this is a performance car with FORGED INTERNALS wait until its tuned to see it’s true performance

Jorge:
Those who have a type s what is your monthly payment? When I went to go get one they hit me with 1100 a month with 5k down

Scott:
Just wait.. 10K in mods and the type-s will walk the new M3. The Type-s will be a tru sleper

So riddle me this batman, you obtained the TLX-S, are you leasing it or did you walk in there and buy it out right?
I'm curious to see what the connection is to having an opinion on not liking a vehicle or anything relates to not being able to afford it.
I thought you and your Acura pro buddies (here and that group) didn't care about performance.. So why the "need to have a bigger penis" to prove my TLX-S can beat real performance vehicles like the M3. So it's OK to modify one vehicle in order to beat a STOCK vehicle, but the STOCK vehicle can also be modified.. So where's the logic behind that? Oh right because iTs GoT FoRgEd InTeRNaaLSs......

The way I see it, you guys toss around delusional statements in your safe space of a group, fueling each others ego's as if it's a support group to make yourselves feel better about a purchase or justify the purchase. Then you have serveral of the same clowns here who are such PRO Acura and Honda fans but haven't bought anything new in the last 10+ years and can't afford to use OEM parts, but will be the 1st ones to defend the brand and tell you how reliable they are and yet drive rolling dumpsters. So why use aftermarket parts, why not go OEM since its the best?

The other thing you guys seem to not get through your heads, is a tune isn't going to make a 5.3 sec vehicle now run 4.2 0-60.. Achieving 600 HP doesn't mean that the driveterrain will hold up to the additional stresses, but why should you be concern, ItS ReLiAbLe.. Right?

The difference in a vehicle like the M3 is that the driveterrain is made to handle to power, but nothing is invisible.

You called me a "drama queen" because I made a valid statement about obtaining a type-s and not paying over MSRP. Since you wanted to be cute, there are 278 Acura dealerships in the US. There are 2000 TLX-S available. Approximately 7 allowed per dealership but that hasn't been the case now has it? So lets say I wanted a TLX-S but refused to pay over MSRP and ended up finding one 300 miles away, would you consider that convenient? Considering the fact that hey i'm pro Honda and always owned Honda or Acura. But no, you seem to think I was being dramatic about it. So would you travel 300 miles to obtain a type-s and not pay MSRP?

As I told two other huge pro fanboys here, it's time to grow up. If you can't handle someone having an opinion or valid facts, then log off. I can be as petty and tell you I own everything outright that's in my name including my home and I don't need to lease or get into debt to flex to a bunch of strangers on-line.
LOL damn came with receipts
The following 3 users liked this post by Kense:
04WDPSeDaN (07-18-2021), BEAR-AvHistory (07-18-2021), Monte TLS,MAX (07-18-2021)
Old 07-18-2021, 10:17 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 672 Likes on 417 Posts

Victor:

Cale:

Chris:
Tryna see sumn

Cameron:

Adam:

Sean:

Stephen:

Christian:

Mike:

Adam:

Alma:

Giovanni:

Jarred:

Xavier:

Jonas:

Rudy:

Jorge:

Scott:

Those comments are precisely why I enjoy “checking” this car. Drop in filter and exhaust will net 50HP? Jesus. Even with a tune, it can only hope to get close to the performance of most other cars in its segment. And again, the more I look at the numbers, the more apparent it is that the top end of this car is more lacking than low end. Undersized turbo? Gearing? Aero doesn’t seem to be a factor comparative to its competition and the weight doesn’t explain why things become exponentially worse for the car when it starts reaching triple digit speeds.

I’m quite antsy to see what Hondata can do with this engine. If it can be had for high-$40k and handle 450wHP with a turbo swap and FBO + tune, I’m all game. If people start yeeting gears/clutches out of their trannies/diffs, it’ll be a complete non-starter for me. If that’s the case and the Lexus IS absurdly priced, I’ll finally have to scratch that German itch I’ve been having …
Old 07-18-2021, 10:48 AM
Burning Brakes

Did somebody really say BMW will only last you to 175k-200k miles but Acura will keep going? Lmao. My TL has had so many problems at the 100k mark I nearly gave it up. Also everybody gets free maintenance for 3 years and after that maintenance is only slightly higher than an Acura if you go to a dealer. Most people go to a private mechanic. Shit my Q50 Red Sport oil changes were as much as an Audi.

Last edited by Kense; 07-18-2021 at 10:52 AM.
Old 07-18-2021, 11:48 AM
Pro

Received 544 Likes on 256 Posts
@04WDPSeDaN So you’ve tired of ridiculing the car so you’re going to ridicule comments made by posters in another group. That’s some moronic shit. Obviously you never emotionally moved on from high school or perhaps even grade school. A group with 5,000 members is going to have some folks who don’t know what they’re talking about. Why would that surprise you and why would you feel that was something you needed to highlight here? How would you feel if I posted your post there and commented that there was a rat on acurazine making fun of posters here and here are the receipts?

Last edited by Honda430; 07-18-2021 at 11:52 AM.
The following users liked this post:
clpassenubye (07-20-2021)
Old 07-18-2021, 11:56 AM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Originally Posted by Honda430
@04WDPSeDaN So you’ve tired of ridiculing the car so you’re going to ridicule comments made by posters in another group. That’s some moronic shit. Obviously you never emotionally moved on from high school or perhaps even grade school. A group with 5,000 members is going to have some folks who don’t know what they’re talking about. Why would that surprise you and why would you feel that was something you needed to highlight here? How would you feel if I posted your post there and commented that there was a rat on acurazine making fun of posters here and here are the receipts?
Do you need me to send you a box of tissues because I could careless about if your feelings are hurt. I've become such a failure in life which is why I own a business and everything is paid for? Like you would know right? Grow up, I called people out on their shit just as I did with you. So which personality are we using today Jeffery?

Last edited by 04WDPSeDaN; 07-18-2021 at 12:08 PM.
Old 07-18-2021, 12:02 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Have to add these to my classics dumbass stupid list.

The majority of people buying this car is going to MOD it and once it is modded this car will be quick and handle great.

car with an open flow exhaust will run with anything in its class

Lol most people hating on it can't afford it or any of it's competitors.

Drop in air filter and open up the exhaust 400 hp+

My Favorite:

Just wait.. 10K in mods and the type-s will walk the new M3. Does this jerk have any idea what 10K in mods will do to a car that already has 503BHP

For about $1,200 the the S58 3L I6 built with forged crank, rods & pistons stock with just a JB4 ($800) & a Fuel It Kit ($400) in the M3 he is going to walk goes from 505WHP - 438 WTQ to 658WHP - 610WTQ on shitty 91 octane California gas.

That whole string of quotes reads like a bunch of kids standing around a cars & coffee that they walked to saying what they would do if they ever got a car. Glad I never joined FB.

Old 07-18-2021, 12:11 PM
Pro

Do you need me to send you a box of tissues because I could careless about if your feelings are hurt. I've become such a failure in life which is why I own a business and everything is paid for? Like you would know right? Grow up, I called people out on their shit just as I did with you. So which personality are we using today Jeffery?
I congratulate you on your success. Have a good day sir.
Old 07-18-2021, 12:17 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

I congratulate you on your success. Have a good day sir.
Thank you! You as well.
Old 07-18-2021, 12:22 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Kense
Did somebody really say BMW will only last you to 175k-200k miles but Acura will keep going? Lmao. My TL has had so many problems at the 100k mark I nearly gave it up. Also everybody gets free maintenance for 3 years and after that maintenance is only slightly higher than an Acura if you go to a dealer. Most people go to a private mechanic. Shit my Q50 Red Sport oil changes were as much as an Audi.
Mine had a dead tail light assembly week 2, Transmission swap at 23,000 or so, & about 4 other recalls or TSB fixes. Was the least reliable car I had since a 92 Jaguar Sovereign 4.0 V8. All my issues with the TL are in the 3G forum from 2006 to into 2011.
Old 07-18-2021, 12:22 PM
Instructor

Received 337 Likes on 118 Posts
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Depends what you are looking at & how the potential buyers look at it. A4 & Type-S are within a few hundred dollars of each other & look like twins on the C&D test numbers. Acura says the TLX-S competes with the S4, M340 etc. I believe thats self serving on Acura part & just trying to crash the party like we are as big as a 5 series.

People looking at those those German models, throw in the MB C43 AMG are not likely to be looking at Acura. They are performance buyers much less price sensitive. Would give Acura a look VS the A4, 330 & bottom MB C. That can go both ways Acura to the Germans & the Germans to Acura due to price.
Sure but the A4 and TLX are about the same price ranges and both 4 bangers aiming to be luxury cruisers not anything sporty. The TLX-S and S4 are supposed to be the more performance orientated versions of those luxury sedans and also occupy the same price segment, just because Audi did it better doesn't mean that wasn't what the TLX-S was trying to compete with. Saying it's an A4 competitor just seems like a cop out to those unwilling to admit it's the worse in the segment. If you're comparing it to the A4 though then yeah.. sure.. "competitive".
Old 07-18-2021, 12:29 PM
Instructor

My point is it’s not an S4 competitor because it doesn’t even compete with it. At all. I’d bet Audi doesn’t see it as their competitor either. It’s more in line with the A4, G70 and Q50 non red sport.
Whatever makes you feel better... I'm disappointed in the TLX-S to and had money down twice to buy one but I'm not going to smooth over Acura's fuck ups to justify a purchase. It absolutely was meant to be an S4 competitor and just because it failed to compete doesn't mean it's suddenly an A4 competitor. Congratulations Acura on making a 3.0T V6 sports sedan slightly faster than a $39,000-$49,000 dollar luxury cruiser with a 4 cylinder. You have wowed us all and I don't know how I will ever get my jaw up off the floor.
The following 3 users liked this post by DubPK:
04WDPSeDaN (07-18-2021), BEAR-AvHistory (07-18-2021), leomio2.0 (07-18-2021)
Old 07-18-2021, 12:34 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Mine had a dead tail light assembly week 2, Transmission swap at 23,000 or so, & about 4 other recalls or TSB fixes. Was the least reliable car I had since a 92 Jaguar Sovereign 4.0 V8. All my issues with the TL are in the 3G forum from 2006 to into 2011.
Granted my TL continues to cost me a lot of money while sitting 90% of the time. When I did use it as a daily, it was reliable but to this day it's been the most expensive vehicle to keep in the condition I have it in. While these guys think I hate Acura, it's far from the truth. I'm not a fan of the marketing department, nor dealerships with their bs mark-ups. Anyone can go and buy / lease a new vehicle but not everyone has the time / dedication / funds to keep that same vehicle in pristine condition nearly 20 years later. That also requires a lot of love. That's the difference between myself and others. I'm a passionate car enthusiasts who worked on vehicles from age 13. I don't know what to call this generation of car enthusiasts of the car scene of today. Even with the help of YouTube and google, they are still spreading false information and are living in days of the past.

Acurazine is the last remaining site with some really great and knowledge users. I've personally made some of the greatest friendships on here. Hell someone here is listed in my will to get my TL if my wife doesn't want to keep it.
csmeance (07-18-2021)
Old 07-18-2021, 12:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts
No way will the “majority” of owners mod it for more power. That could not be farther from the truth. Damn few people, even serious gear heads, want to take a new car with a four year warranty and void the warranty. The second reason they won’t is that the serious speed freaks who will mod a car are going to want to start with a faster car and mod it to be even faster.

I've modded cars and motorcycles before so it’s not that I’m biased. But I have never modded a car still under warranty.
someguy11 (07-18-2021)
Old 07-18-2021, 12:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DubPK
Whatever makes you feel better... I'm disappointed in the TLX-S to and had money down twice to buy one but I'm not going to smooth over Acura's fuck ups to justify a purchase. It absolutely was meant to be an S4 competitor and just because it failed to compete doesn't mean it's suddenly an A4 competitor. Congratulations Acura on making a 3.0T V6 sports sedan slightly faster than a $39,000-$49,000 dollar luxury cruiser with a 4 cylinder. You have wowed us all and I don't know how I will ever get my jaw up off the floor.
I have no emotions with any brand. I don’t feel better or worse. I could give a shit about any brand. I buy what I like and what works. The reality is Most people with an S4 would never get a TLX Type S. However You’ll have more people in an A4 who may consider a Type S but more than likely will move up to the S4 because their A4 is just as fast as a type s. However as seen here more TLX owners have moved to Audi. You won’t go to Audizine and see people moving to Acura. Just because Acura considers them competition nobody else does. Supposed to compete yet it doesn’t.
jjsC5 (07-18-2021)
Old 07-18-2021, 01:09 PM
Burning Brakes

Same , new tranny at 45k . Right headlight went dead at 70k. At 95k motor mounts needed replacing and it burns oil. The list goes on and on. But hey it’s Not German right!
BEAR-AvHistory (07-18-2021)
Old 07-18-2021, 01:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Just wait.. 10K in mods and the type-s will walk the new M3. Does this jerk have any idea what 10K in mods will do to a car that already has 503BHP
Pitiful. Pretty typical excuse from the Honduh crowd. These are the same asshats who were thinking this thing was going to beat the Germans when Acura announced the car was going to have an "estimated" 355HP. "Honda always underrates their engines!"

It's already been unequivocally proven than the G80 M3 is underrated in advertised HP and overrated in curb weight. It comes in closer to 3,750lbs and there are people making over 500wHP when strapped to a dyno. The car is 450lbs lighter, has a vastly better transmission and the TLX-S likely wouldn't survive the power levels to even come close to matching the M3, let alone walking it. I'd be surprised if $10k in mods in the TLX-S would even walk a tuned M340i.
Old 07-18-2021, 01:18 PM
Pro

Regardless of what Acura may have led some folks to believe the Type S is not a S4, C43, nor M340i competitor. There’s really no need to beat that horse any further. The real competition as someone else stated are the 4T cars from those manufacturers and Acura itself.

I don’t see the value proposition from the top down as many of you do. I see it flowing in the other direction. As an Aspec owner the value proposition is pay $6k more and buy the Type S upgrade. From the other manufacturers it’s pay $2k more and buy a Type S. What folks here continue to try to paper over is that MSRP for all the top tier cars in the segment exceeds the Type S price by $10k +. And, when viewed from the 4T tier prices are $12k to $16k more.

So the question for someone like myself is whether I want to spend $6k for the middling performance of the Type S or $16k more for a -1 second 0-60. Perhaps if money was no object, yet if money was no object I wouldn’t even be shopping this segment. Alas for many people money is an object so regardless how the car doesn’t stack up against the top tier for many people it would make sound financial sense to choose it. Also, some folks could care less that the Type S doesn’t do a 4 second 0-60 or 12.5 second 1/4 mile.

Last edited by Honda430; 07-18-2021 at 01:24 PM.
jjsC5 (07-18-2021)
Old 07-18-2021, 01:22 PM
Instructor

I have no emotions with any brand. I don’t feel better or worse. I could give a shit about any brand. I buy what I like and what works. The reality is Most people with an S4 would never get a TLX Type S. However You’ll have more people in an A4 who may consider a Type S but more than likely will move up to the S4 because their A4 is just as fast as a type s. However as seen here more TLX owners have moved to Audi. You won’t go to Audizine and see people moving to Acura. Just because Acura considers them competition nobody else does. Supposed to compete yet it doesn’t.
Your competitors are not defined by what you're better or worse than your competitors are defined by what else is in the price segment. The TLX-S is positioned to compete with the S4, 340i, C43, G70 3.3T, etc. It doesn't compete with any of it but based on it's price it SHOULD and that's the root of disappointment. Just because the car is priced like an S4 with the performance of an A4 doesn't mean it was meant to be an A4 competitor it means Acura should be fucking embarrassed and the TLX-S needs a price drop else anyone cross shopping in the $50,000-$60,000 range is going to pass unless they are just adamantly against any other brands. Get it in the $45,000-$48,000 range though and you'll probably move a fair amount of em.
Old 07-18-2021, 01:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Your competitors are not defined by what you're better or worse than your competitors are defined by what else is in the price segment. The TLX-S is positioned to compete with the S4, 340i, C43, G70 3.3T, etc. It doesn't compete with any of it but based on it's price it SHOULD and that's the root of disappointment. Just because the car is priced like an S4 with the performance of an A4 doesn't mean it was meant to be an A4 competitor it means Acura should be fucking embarrassed and the TLX-S needs a price drop else anyone cross shopping in the $50,000-$60,000 range is going to pass unless they are just adamantly against any other brands. Get it in the $45,000-$48,000 range though and you'll probably move a fair amount of em.
Like I was saying Acura is trying to make it appear to compete with those but it doesn’t. No German brand considers the Type S competition with its performance brands. They never mention them ever. In Acura’s mind yeah. Might as well throw in that 400 HP Lincoln that nobody buys either it’s priced the same but it also doesn’t compete.

Last edited by Kense; 07-18-2021 at 01:40 PM.
Old 07-18-2021, 01:39 PM
Instructor

Like I was saying Acura is trying to make it appear to compete with those but it doesn’t. No German brand considers the Type S competition with its performance brands. They never mention them ever. I’m Acura’s mind yeah. Might as well throw in that 400 HP Lincoln that nobody buys either it’s priced the same but it also doesn’t compete.
Again, it literally doesn't matter that the car doesn't objectively compete with the S4 because ITS PRICED LIKE ONE. That means the S4 is its competitor, people shopping in the $50,000-$60,000 price range with no brand loyalty WILL compare those cars, they ARE competitors. Acura failed to produce a competitive option meaning the car is overpriced because it's priced into a segment it gets beat to death in. Lower the price, it's too late to build a better car. There is no point in playing mind games and saying "oh well the TLX-S was actually meant to compete with stuff like the A4 with 4 cylinders that weren't even trying to be fast and starting prices $13,000 lower because we are a tenth of a second faster than THAT car'. That's a real stupid way to think about it.
Old 07-18-2021, 01:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Again, it literally doesn't matter that the car doesn't objectively compete with the S4 because ITS PRICED LIKE ONE. That means the S4 is its competitor, people shopping in the $50,000-$60,000 price range with no brand loyalty WILL compare those cars, they ARE competitors. Acura failed to produce a competitive option meaning the car is overpriced because it's priced into a segment it gets beat to death in. Lower the price, it's too late to build a better car. There is no point in playing mind games and saying "oh well the TLX-S was actually meant to compete with stuff like the A4 with 4 cylinders that weren't even trying to be fast and starting prices $13,000 lower because we are a tenth of a second faster than THAT car'. That's a real stupid way to think about it.
People looking at an S4 are not going to cross shop with a Q50 or Type S. They will with an M340 or C43. Even though the S4 is slower than both by a decent amount. Just because they are priced similar ? You think a C8 Corvette competes with an G80 M3? It doesn’t . People are not cross shopping those cars even though they are priced similar.
Old 07-18-2021, 01:47 PM
Instructor

People looking at an S4 are not going to cross shop with a Q50 or Type S. They will with an M340 or C43. Even though the S4 is slower than both by a decent amount. Just because they are priced similar ? You think a C8 Corvette competes with an G80 M3? It doesn’t . People are not cross shopping those cars even though they are priced similar.
A person with no existing brand bias looking for a performance sedan with $50,000-$60,000 to spend will absolutely cross shop the TLX-S and S4. You're delusional if you think otherwise and that's all I have left to discuss with you on this.
Old 07-18-2021, 02:04 PM
Burning Brakes

A person with no existing brand bias looking for a performance sedan with $50,000-$60,000 to spend will absolutely cross shop the TLX-S and S4. You're delusional if you think otherwise and that's all I have left to discuss with you on this.
I’m realistic you’re not. People looking at performance variants like an S4 , M etc know damn well the Type S doesn’t compete . It’s why they all talk about the IS500 rather than the Type S. If you go to any of those forums nobody cares about the type S but they are interested in the IS500 because Lexus has delivered previously with their F cars. What does Acura have other than the NSX. You’re the delusional one if you really think anybody looking at performance German cars would consider any Acura outside an NSX. Nobody even cares about the Red Sport Infiniti and it’s seen as a failure not in the same class. The Type S unfortunately is the same way. They had a chance when the Concept came out and blew it.
Old 07-18-2021, 02:14 PM
Instructor

I’m realistic you’re not. People looking at performance variants like an S4 , M etc know damn well the Type S doesn’t compete . It’s why they all talk about the IS500 rather than the Type S. If you go to any of those forums nobody cares about the type S but they are interested in the IS500 because Lexus has delivered previously with their F cars. What does Acura have other than the NSX. You’re the delusional one if you really think anybody looking at performance German cars would consider any Acura outside an NSX. Nobody even cares about the Red Sport Infiniti and it’s seen as a failure not in the same class. The Type S unfortunately is the same way. They had a chance when the Concept came out and blew it.
Did I once say that a person shopping for a German performance car would look at the TLX-S? No, I didn't. I said a person with NO BRAND LOYALTY simply looking at performance sedans in $50,000 to $60,000 price range would naturally be forced to compare the two making them competitors. Is this concept that fucking hard to understand? Jesus christ I'm fucking done.
Old 07-18-2021, 02:45 PM
Racer

Received 237 Likes on 155 Posts
Congratulations Acura on making a 3.0T V6 sports sedan slightly faster than a $39,000-$49,000 dollar luxury cruiser with a 4 cylinder. You have wowed us all and I don't know how I will ever get my jaw up off the floor.
Actually slightly slower than a $34K top spec sporty mainstream family sedan (Sonata N Turbo)
Old 07-18-2021, 02:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Alright, alright. Everyone ... let's all hug it out. Who wants to meet up for a naked sauna session and margaritas? I'm buying ...
The following 2 users liked this post by leomio2.0:
DubPK (07-18-2021), pyrodan007 (07-18-2021)
Old 07-18-2021, 02:47 PM
Racer

However as seen here more TLX owners have moved to Audi. You won’t go to Audizine and see people moving to Acura. Just because Acura considers them competition nobody else does. Supposed to compete yet it doesn’t.
Most of my old 4G forum mates moved on from Acura and never looked back (Audi, BMW, Cadillac and even Dodge)
The following 2 users liked this post by 4G-Lover:
F23A4 (07-18-2021), Kense (07-18-2021)
Old 07-18-2021, 03:00 PM
Racer

Did I once say that a person shopping for a German performance car would look at the TLX-S? No, I didn't. I said a person with NO BRAND LOYALTY simply looking at performance sedans in $50,000 to $60,000 price range would naturally be forced to compare the two making them competitors. Is this concept that fucking hard to understand? Jesus christ I'm fucking done.
There are very little people with no brand loyalty in that segment.....mid-upper tier sport sedan shoppers care about performance even if they will never race their car. Acura simply has no currency at the moment in that space, heck probably the Hemi powered Chargers are more cross shopped by BMW owners than Acuras nowadays....
We had a little event yesterday with my Cadillac V Club members, the Type S is simply not in anybody radar.
Kense (07-18-2021)
Old 07-18-2021, 03:06 PM
Suzuka Master

Sure but the A4 and TLX are about the same price ranges and both 4 bangers aiming to be luxury cruisers not anything sporty. The TLX-S and S4 are supposed to be the more performance orientated versions of those luxury sedans and also occupy the same price segment, just because Audi did it better doesn't mean that wasn't what the TLX-S was trying to compete with. Saying it's an A4 competitor just seems like a cop out to those unwilling to admit it's the worse in the segment. If you're comparing it to the A4 though then yeah.. sure.. "competitive".
Think I am more harsh & am deal with what is not what they want it to be.. If a car costs the same, performs the same its a competitor. If a Sports sedan A can't compete with sports sedan B on sports sedan stuff its a wannabe not a competitor. Its not going to draw many customers that did not get downsized from the car that can perform even though the performance car costs more.

Think the fact that they over hyped 3 Liter DOHC V6 package can't absolutely kill a 2 liter DOHC I4 is just confirmation. What can a TLX-S say, I don't compete with the A4 because I am $785 more expensive? $53,840 VS $54,625.

I spent a lot of years in marketing & I have never seen a bunch as bad as the Acura team. They have basically a excellent car badly priced & poorly marketed. How you position a car in the marketplace is very important & you don't position it by inviting an interloper in that can kick its ass. This is the time of the internet & phones that create reality by what they record. Acura tied an anchor around its neck when they positioned it against the S4.
The following 4 users liked this post by BEAR-AvHistory:
04WDPSeDaN (07-18-2021), Kense (07-18-2021), pyrodan007 (07-18-2021), someguy11 (07-18-2021)
Old 07-18-2021, 03:11 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by jjsC5
No way will the “majority” of owners mod it for more power. That could not be farther from the truth. Damn few people, even serious gear heads, want to take a new car with a four year warranty and void the warranty. The second reason they won’t is that the serious speed freaks who will mod a car are going to want to start with a faster car and mod it to be even faster.

I've modded cars and motorcycles before so it’s not that I’m biased. But I have never modded a car still under warranty.
Those guys are internet modders, not skinned knuckles ones. What they were advocating doing & the results they expected to achieve clearly demonstrates most don't have a clue.
04WDPSeDaN (07-18-2021)
Old 07-18-2021, 03:13 PM
Racer

I spent a lot of years in marketing & I have never seen a bunch as bad as the Acura team.
On some regard Cadillac marketing it's even worse....traditionally they had the "V Sport" label (some sort of light V) and the true "V" (M and RS competitor), which did work perfectly fine.

Now they moved the V label down market (the new V it's the old V Sport) and the real V are the "V Blackwing" but, you do not actually get a Blackwing engine in these cars so the label "Blackwing" has no meaning. I wonder who come up with this stuff
Old 07-18-2021, 03:27 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Think I am more harsh & am deal with what is not what they want it to be.. If a car costs the same, performs the same its a competitor. If a Sports sedan A can't compete with sports sedan B on sports sedan stuff its a wannabe not a competitor. Its not going to draw many customers that did not get downsized from the car that can perform even though the performance car costs more.

Think the fact that they over hyped 3 Liter DOHC V6 package can't absolutely kill a 2 liter DOHC I4 is just confirmation. What can a TLX-S say, I don't compete with the A4 because I am $785 more expensive? $53,840 VS $54,625.

I spent a lot of years in marketing & I have never seen a bunch as bad as the Acura team. They have basically a excellent car badly priced & poorly marketed. How you position a car in the marketplace is very important & you don't position it by inviting an interloper in that can kick its ass. This is the time of the internet & phones that create reality by what they record. Acura tied an anchor around its neck when they positioned it against the S4.
Excellent post as always!

I FULLY agree with you on this statement "They have basically a excellent car badly priced & poorly marketed"

There lies the problem which resulted in the endless back and forth debate around the social media & forums. It's like a domino effect at the end.

Acura DID make a great vehicle and they also caused their own mess.
Old 07-18-2021, 03:27 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,429 Likes on 1,879 Posts

Victor:

Cale:

Chris:
Tryna see sumn

Cameron:

Adam:

Sean:

Stephen:

Christian:

Mike:

Adam:

Alma:

Giovanni:

Jarred:

Xavier:

Jonas:

Rudy:

Jorge:

Scott:

You forgot all the people holding out hope that the car will be faster once it's broken in.
Ghostof TypeS Past (07-19-2021)
Old 07-18-2021, 03:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by leomio2.0
Pitiful. Pretty typical excuse from the Honduh crowd. These are the same asshats who were thinking this thing was going to beat the Germans when Acura announced the car was going to have an "estimated" 355HP. "Honda always underrates their engines!"

It's already been unequivocally proven than the G80 M3 is underrated in advertised HP and overrated in curb weight. It comes in closer to 3,750lbs and there are people making over 500wHP when strapped to a dyno. The car is 450lbs lighter, has a vastly better transmission and the TLX-S likely wouldn't survive the power levels to even come close to matching the M3, let alone walking it. I'd be surprised if $10k in mods in the TLX-S would even walk a tuned M340i.
Been doing a lot of research for my daughters car. She can't get stick in the M4 conversable so she is in for the 503BHP 8ZF. Thought this was interesting, but will not tell her about it. This the same S58 that is in the M4. The X4M engine is rated at 503BHP here is a test dyno run on a DynoJet unit by Burger MotorSports

It has more WHP than BMW's crank rated BHP. One of the test drags was the M4 VS the C8. Both had wins. Guys says at the end of the vid, this thing has 550BHP. The mods to bring it up tp 658WHP are $800 for the JB4 package & $400 for the Fuel It System to run E47, plus a few hours of self install.

Old 07-18-2021, 03:35 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by 4G-Lover
On some regard Cadillac marketing it's even worse....traditionally they had the "V Sport" label (some sort of light V) and the true "V" (M and RS competitor), which did work perfectly fine.

Now they moved the V label down market (the new V it's the old V Sport) and the real V are the "V Blackwing" but, you do not actually get a Blackwing engine in these cars so the label "Blackwing" has no meaning. I wonder who come up with this stuff
People who count on their future customers being easily mislead. Slow cars tricked out a hot machines. They are for whatever reason blind to the internet which is killing bovine fodder byproduct marketing.
Old 07-18-2021, 03:58 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Been doing a lot of research for my daughters car. She can't get stick in the M4 conversable so she is in for the 503BHP 8ZF. Thought this was interesting, but will not tell her about it. This the same S58 that is in the M4. The X4M engine is rated at 503BHP here is a test dyno run on a DynoJet unit by Burger MotorSports

It has more WHP than BMW's crank rated BHP. One of the test drags was the M4 VS the C8. Both had wins. Guys says at the end of the vid, this thing has 550BHP. The mods to bring it up tp 658WHP are $800 for the JB4 package & $400 for the Fuel It System to run E47, plus a few hours of self install.
I skipped over this comment made by someone who joined to ask opinions on KTuner vs Hondata. I couldn't connect the dots, so he might be quoting someone else statement. I have not seen or heard a TLX-S nailing 4.5 on light weight wheels. AHC didn't do it so someone is making up stories here.

in 6-12 months after testing, we are targeting 460-500 HP/480-500 LB FT given the engine capability after everything is tuned. I don’t understand why people get on here and trash the car? So don’t buy it. Mine will arrive on August 18th and I’ll drive it on the weekends. If you don’t like it, don’t buy it. There’s no doubt they left some power on the table. That being said, it’s also the size of a 5-series. No one is launching the car. We got 4.5 on a demo with the lightweight wheels. When it smokes an M3 out of frame next year, all these folks will disappear.

So once again, whats to say that the M3/M4 guys won't tune their vehicles either? From what I've always seen on the BMW forums, performance gains are the top priority. I don't know why these guys are making such bold statements on a vehicle that has no aftermarket support..

Last edited by 04WDPSeDaN; 07-18-2021 at 04:01 PM.
Old 07-18-2021, 04:01 PM
Racer

However I do not agree that the Type S is not a real S4 and M340i competitor....it is a real market competitor, simply a non competitive one...sorry but if you can afford a low-mid $50K car you can definitely afford a high-mid $50K car or even a $60K car.....on top of that, for example BMW, in the real world it does lease very well so you may be able to pick a nicely optioned M340I for a lower or the same monthly payment of a Type S.....
Old 07-18-2021, 04:17 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by 4G-Lover
However I do not agree that the Type S is not a real S4 and M340i competitor....it is a real market competitor, simply a non competitive one...sorry but if you can afford a low-mid $50K car you can definitely afford a high-mid $50K car or even a $60K car.....on top of that, for example BMW, in the real world it does lease very well so you may be able to pick a nicely optioned M340I for a lower or the same monthly payment of a Type S.....
Can spend and want to spend are two different things. Call me cheap, but for me $52K before taxes is about my max. I got other things I'd prefer to spend my money on. Different buyer's cap out at different levels for different reasons.

Last edited by Honda430; 07-18-2021 at 04:27 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Honda430:
BEAR-AvHistory (07-18-2021), Kense (07-18-2021)
Old 07-18-2021, 04:33 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts
Regardless of what Acura may have led some folks to believe the Type S is not a S4, C43, nor M340i competitor. There’s really no need to beat that horse any further. The real competition as someone else stated are the 4T cars from those manufacturers and Acura itself.

I don’t see the value proposition from the top down as many of you do. I see it flowing in the other direction. As an Aspec owner the value proposition is pay $6k more and buy the Type S upgrade. From the other manufacturers it’s pay $2k more and buy a Type S. What folks here continue to try to paper over is that MSRP for all the top tier cars in the segment exceeds the Type S price by $10k +. And, when viewed from the 4T tier prices are $12k to $16k more.

So the question for someone like myself is whether I want to spend $6k for the middling performance of the Type S or $16k more for a -1 second 0-60. Perhaps if money was no object, yet if money was no object I wouldn’t even be shopping this segment. Alas for many people money is an object so regardless how the car doesn’t stack up against the top tier for many people it would make sound financial sense to choose it. Also, some folks could care less that the Type S doesn’t do a 4 second 0-60 or 12.5 second 1/4 mile.
That makes a lot of sense.

Quick Reply: Car & Driver numbers are in….not too good