Any regrets from TLX Type S owners?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2021, 11:10 PM
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
So the much touted chassis stiffening is a thicker rear sway bar and those two metal braces by the rear diff and the X in the rear seat??
Old 12-16-2021, 12:22 AM
Pro

Received 267 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by jwtarbaj
So the much touted chassis stiffening is a thicker rear sway bar and those two metal braces by the rear diff and the X in the rear seat??
it’s more than that. Acura posted a visual of the chassis parts that were stiffened in the press release.
The following 3 users liked this post by djhtsx:
Colorado Guy AF Ret. (12-17-2021), Legend2TL (12-16-2021), WTF.Acura (12-17-2021)
Old 12-17-2021, 02:52 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by djhtsx
it’s more than that. Acura posted a visual of the chassis parts that were stiffened in the press release.
Ha ok

"with additional structural braces linking the shock towers, and triangulating to the firewall to create a stiffer “box” for the engine and transmission"

These are essentially thicker that the 4 cyl braces on the shock towers.

The rear seat brace I mentioned

And then

"Additional structural enhancements include an extra mid-floor crossmember and stiffer rear wheel arches"

the mid-floor crossmembers I mentioned and stiffer rear wheel arches.

This all nets a quoted 13% increase in rigidity. How much was the TLX improved over the previous model I wonder? It seems it was a wet noodle.
Old 12-17-2021, 03:30 AM
Pro

Ha ok

"with additional structural braces linking the shock towers, and triangulating to the firewall to create a stiffer “box” for the engine and transmission"

And then

"Additional structural enhancements include an extra mid-floor crossmember and stiffer rear wheel arches"

This all nets a quoted 13% increase in rigidity. How much was the TLX improved over the previous model I wonder? It seems it was a wet noodle.
https://www.acurainfocenter.com/vehi...nefits/chassis
The following users liked this post:
F23A4 (12-17-2021)
Old 12-17-2021, 05:44 AM
Pro

Ha ok

And then

oops. Wrong link.

https://acuranews.com/en-US/releases...pe-s-press-kit

13% difference is a big difference for a daily driver and it was enough for me to tell the difference between the type s and non type s version.

Old 12-17-2021, 12:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,662 Likes on 927 Posts
oops. Wrong link.

13% difference is a big difference for a daily driver and it was enough for me to tell the difference between the type s and non type s version.
...but thank you for the earlier link anyway. It was very interesting.
Old 12-17-2021, 03:31 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Received 432 Likes on 299 Posts
Getting A Type S

I finally decided a couple of weeks ago, that I would get a Type S. I talked with my Mgr. and friend for many yrs and I've been on the
"list" for a long time. One allocation in Nov, none for Dec, and there is one on the way that was cust. ordered way back when. So, I
thought...OK, I can wait. Well...much to my surprise....he called yesterday, and said a cust. had cancelled their order of a whte/red like
I wanted...except no Opt. wheels. Did I want that car? Uhhhh.....hell yes! Being built 1st week of Feb. I will buy the Opt. Y spoke wheels
and put my choice of tires on it. Having the wheels color changed by a powder coating co. that's big on doing wheels. Life time guarantee.
He will buy the wheels/tires off the car as he always does, and I get a good discount on the Y spokes. I'll do the carbon fiber spoiler, and
interior 4 pieces. White mud guards. Yes, you do have a choice...body colored or trad. black ones. All weather floor mats and trunk tray.
That's about it for Acc.

I had a 1st Gen. TLX A-Spec and liked it a lot. This 2nd Gen. is bigger as we know, and I do wish it was the size of the 1st Gen. But,
overall, they did a great job. I have driven one.

So, a bright light shined in a gloomy car world yesterday. I just picked up our 22 RDX A-Spec/Adv a week ago. White/red....see a pattern?
LOL...have had a few white/red, and we really like the look. Wife wanted the RDX. More her size. It rides great with the changes, and is
loaded with all the goodies. Oh, and NO mark up, but, yes, paying MSRP. No adds except for what I WANT!! LOL! Not used to paying MSRP,
but, that is the current car market. I would NOT pay over though.

Last edited by Colorado Guy AF Ret.; 12-17-2021 at 03:35 PM.
Old 12-17-2021, 03:55 PM
Instructor

Received 137 Likes on 73 Posts
Originally Posted by Colorado Guy AF Ret.
I finally decided a couple of weeks ago, that I would get a Type S. I talked with my Mgr. and friend for many yrs and I've been on the
"list" for a long time. One allocation in Nov, none for Dec, and there is one on the way that was cust. ordered way back when. So, I
thought...OK, I can wait. Well...much to my surprise....he called yesterday, and said a cust. had cancelled their order of a whte/red like
I wanted...except no Opt. wheels. Did I want that car? Uhhhh.....hell yes! Being built 1st week of Feb. I will buy the Opt. Y spoke wheels
and put my choice of tires on it. Having the wheels color changed by a powder coating co. that's big on doing wheels. Life time guarantee.
He will buy the wheels/tires off the car as he always does, and I get a good discount on the Y spokes. I'll do the carbon fiber spoiler, and
interior 4 pieces. White mud guards. Yes, you do have a choice...body colored or trad. black ones. All weather floor mats and trunk tray.
That's about it for Acc.

I had a 1st Gen. TLX A-Spec and liked it a lot. This 2nd Gen. is bigger as we know, and I do wish it was the size of the 1st Gen. But,
overall, they did a great job. I have driven one.

So, a bright light shined in a gloomy car world yesterday. I just picked up our 22 RDX A-Spec/Adv a week ago. White/red....see a pattern?
LOL...have had a few white/red, and we really like the look. Wife wanted the RDX. More her size. It rides great with the changes, and is
loaded with all the goodies. Oh, and NO mark up, but, yes, paying MSRP. No adds except for what I WANT!! LOL! Not used to paying MSRP,
don’t get splash guards get the dude skirts and rear under spoiler. Thank me later
silverTL6 (01-11-2022)
Old 12-17-2021, 05:10 PM
Cruisin'

Received 33 Likes on 8 Posts
There are many braces, some you can see and some you can not. There are even welded gussets on the shock towers. It is the stiffest car I have ever driven.
Old 12-17-2021, 05:53 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TypeS22
don’t get splash guards get the dude skirts and rear under spoiler. Thank me later

side skirts
Old 12-18-2021, 02:52 AM
Advanced

oops. Wrong link.

Same link I posted info from. That's not an equal comparison. Advance has Adaptive dampers but they are tuned differently for a more luxury ride. Type-S has stiffer springs and bigger F&R sway bars. Put the Type-S tuned adaptive dampers, front springs and Type-S sway bars on a 4 cyl and I doubt you'd know the difference save for the power. Plus the Type is more nose heavy with a V6 up front. Shift weight to 59% vs 57% on the front wheels.

It's like comparing an Accord 1.5T to the 2.0T. The 2.0T has bigger front brakes, bigger sway bars, stiffer suspension...sounds familiar.
04WDPSeDaN (12-18-2021)
Old 12-18-2021, 03:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by Colorado Guy AF Ret.
Oh, and NO mark up, but, yes, paying MSRP. No adds except for what I WANT!! LOL! Not used to paying MSRP,
Have had a string going of not paying close to MSRP since they started putting the pricing stickers on the car. Came very very close with the current one. Had two cars to trade, Genesis R-Spec Coupe, BMW 135is, the same situation that is holding new sales at or above MSRP is also upping used car values. Trade value of the pair exceeded the actual purchase price of the coupe. Lessened the pain somewhat but it still sucks.
Old 12-27-2021, 08:49 AM
Pro

Received 130 Likes on 95 Posts
Originally Posted by SGPMan
I read this forum on a daily basis and there is just so much negativity about the Type S. I put down a deposit for a white on red Type S from Columbia Acura and I'm just wondering are there any OWNERS of the TLX Type S that regret their purchase?
Most of the haters don't even own the car. Buy it, you will like it!
The following 2 users liked this post by E92Vancouver:
Colorado Guy AF Ret. (12-27-2021), MarcoTLX (12-27-2021)
Old 12-27-2021, 08:51 AM
Pro

Wow! Detailed review!!
Old 12-27-2021, 08:54 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Matthew937
zero regrets. I have about 1500 miles so far and very pleased. Was cross shopping with s5 sportback and wasn't sure if I was going to regret my purchase when it came in after reading a lot of negative reviews. So far it's been a great daily driver. Handling is great. I really like the seats and driving position. Around town it's very responsive. Could be a little faster merging on the highway. Overall it's a great car that you'll enjoy.
If you want to merge faster, floor it. 355 hp is enough to get any merge job done.
Old 12-28-2021, 06:42 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Kay_TypeS
TLX Type S Owner here, white exterior/red interior. Was looking for a sporty luxury sedan and ultimately went with long term reliability over its competition (i’m not much of a leaser and have had nightmare past experiences with Mercedes and maintenance cost). Driven about 700 miles now, and I am completely satisfied with my purchase.

Yes, its not the fastest in a straight line against its competitors. But are you looking to take this to the runs fast and furious style? I don’t think this was ever meant for that, considering its weight. It has all the luxury options that I like already included, is a good daily driver, excellent handling, killer sound system, in my opinion looks so much cleaner than its competition, and is fast enough for me.

I already souped it up with OEM underbody side and rear spoilers, black emblems (just TLX and SH-AWD), ceramic coating and tint. Got the all weather mats and trunk tray as well.

Absolutely love it and the feeling I get when folks are starin as I roll up in the gas station

Get the Type s dark chrome, I did them on mine all around. Looks so good on white
Old 01-09-2022, 11:42 PM
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
After 25 days and 450 miles in the ‘22 Type-S, the only item I’m not overly excited about is the cup holders. Not as deep as my ‘12 TL SH-AWD, causing some concern on the drive home from Starbucks.

That, and the slow loading time for Apple CarPlay.

Ride is impressive. Love the car.
MarcoTLX (01-10-2022)
Old 01-10-2022, 10:35 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by KidK
After 25 days and 450 miles in the ‘22 Type-S, the only item I’m not overly excited about is the cup holders. Not as deep as my ‘12 TL SH-AWD, causing some concern on the drive home from Starbucks.

That, and the slow loading time for Apple CarPlay.

Ride is impressive. Love the car.
Agreed, have to stick with a tall mocha in the TLX. Granted, the average water bottle seems to fit ok.
dhw (01-11-2022)
Old 01-10-2022, 10:54 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 255 Posts
, the only item I’m not overly excited about is the cup holders.
So, Audi is not the only one with small and/or non-optimally placed CUP-HOLDERS .

Pretty funny how this keeps coming up. I think about 20% of all posts on "car enthusiasts websites" are cup-holder related.

Personally, I just use a 16oz plastic disposable water-bottle. Issue kinda just stops there since there is no eating or drinking of other beverages in my new car.

Last edited by Tesla1856; 01-10-2022 at 11:06 AM. Reason: more info
Old 01-10-2022, 10:59 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,090 Likes on 2,540 Posts
Ha ok

And then

https://acurazine.com/forums/second-.../#post16785425

Slide 37 has those numbers
Old 01-10-2022, 11:11 AM
Intermediate

Received 35 Likes on 11 Posts
For those of that have taken delivery of your TLX Type-S. What other cars have you considered? was the 2022 M340I xDrive one of them?
Old 01-10-2022, 11:19 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by All_PSI89
For those of that have taken delivery of your TLX Type-S. What other cars have you considered? was the 2022 M340I xDrive one of them?

I have never been a fan of BMW and I always stuck with Honda and Acura
bmoua15 (01-16-2022)
Old 01-10-2022, 11:48 PM
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Sorry, ever since I Lemon Lawed our BMW 650 Cab, I’ve been Brand Loyal to Acura. Did get $87,000 back from BMW after three years though ….

Old 01-11-2022, 06:50 AM
Advanced

Received 65 Likes on 38 Posts
Sorry, ever since I Lemon Lawed our BMW 650 Cab, I’ve been Brand Loyal to Acura. Did get $87,000 back from BMW after three years though ….
I would enjoy reading your BMW story. Is it available on a BMW board? Any chance the Moderator would permit this off-topic item?
The following 2 users liked this post by Justy48:
BEAR-AvHistory (01-11-2022), F23A4 (01-11-2022)
Old 01-11-2022, 07:48 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Justy48
I would enjoy reading your BMW story. Is it available on a BMW board? Any chance the Moderator would permit this off-topic item?
It could probably be posted in the Car Talk forum. I'm sure folks who frequent that subforum (as well as this subforum) would enjoy the read.
Old 01-11-2022, 10:15 AM
Pro

Received 497 Likes on 243 Posts
Delivery still pending but I was cross shopping the Lexus IS350 AWD, but it was too small in terms of leg room width up front for my liking. Also the Lex was a similar price to the Type S when equally spec'ed. The M340i was just beyond my budget when equipped with the features I wanted, and the spec'ed 330i wasn't that much cheaper than the Type S. Plus my dad had a 540i when I was a kid at that thing turned into a lemon after about 6 years.
Old 01-11-2022, 10:57 AM
Pro

Received 544 Likes on 256 Posts
Here in LA it appears the predominant buyers of the 330i, IS250-350, and C300 are women. It’s almost as if the men that once bought those cars are now buying the Tesla Model 3. I see a lot of Model 3s day in and day out and almost all are driven by men.
Old 01-11-2022, 11:19 AM
Racer

Received 230 Likes on 98 Posts
Originally Posted by bilirubin
Delivery still pending but I was cross shopping the Lexus IS350 AWD, but it was too small in terms of leg room width up front for my liking. Also the Lex was a similar price to the Type S when equally spec'ed. The M340i was just beyond my budget when equipped with the features I wanted, and the spec'ed 330i wasn't that much cheaper than the Type S. Plus my dad had a 540i when I was a kid at that thing turned into a lemon after about 6 years.
I bought a new loaded 2021 Lexus IS350 F-Sport AWD mid September, but 2.5 months later bought the TLX Type-S (never expected to ever touch an Acura again) after a random test drive at a friends dealer on the east coast, and had to have it.

I was waiting to get on the list for an IS500 "have to have!" but in September, dealers still had no clue or updates, so my thought was IS350 F-Sport first then upgrade it later. Glad I tried, then moved over to the TLX beast instead, it's just a far better daily, SH-AWD, turbo, more comfort, etc.

The Lexus experience is fantastic, that car was gorgeous, and as good as I thought it sounded, it really was too small for me to "want to drive it" vs. my SUV I also have, and the more I did drive it, I started to see what every reviewer said about the "meh" 3.5 V6/6-speed/AWD combo. My 2013 IS350C F-Sport I also had this year was the same engine & transmission, but RWD, and definitely smoother & ripped harder. The Lexus infotainment was far better & far quicker than the spinning wheel of "what is it doing?" Acura unit, but I like everything else about the Acura more.

My only wish was that the TLX at least got the next version of this head unit screen as in the MDX with wireless CarPlay, as at least in use on test drives, those weren't perfect either but booted faster and stayed connected better. Regardless, I am SOOOO comfy in the TLX, and so oddly impressed at how much leg room and width I have up front, and the entire feel of the cockpit. It's so wrapped around, yet has so much width and easy access space--it's a polar opposite of my IS, and love it. Never use the back seat except on random dinners with friends, and they're fine back there.

The 3.0T pulls like a beast, sounds terrific, and I really enjoy the 10 speed too and how different the car is in different modes. Same for the mileage I'm getting, that's also far better than the IS. Slow & laggy infotainment aside, no issues, and love it.

Last edited by beach109; 01-11-2022 at 11:26 AM.
The following 8 users liked this post by beach109:
a35tl (01-11-2022), bilirubin (01-11-2022), bmoua15 (01-16-2022), F23A4 (01-11-2022), Legend2TL (01-11-2022), MarcoTLX (01-11-2022), Pens Fan (01-11-2022), WTF.Acura (01-12-2022) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-11-2022, 11:43 AM
Senior Moderator

Although I'm not big on white cars, both look great!! What was the MSRP on your IS350 F-Sport?

Last edited by F23A4; 01-11-2022 at 11:50 AM.
Old 01-11-2022, 02:20 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by F23A4
Although I'm not big on white cars, both look great!! What was the MSRP on your IS350 F-Sport?
The IS was $51,490. Had everything, unlike most oddball IS350's with the baby infotainment screen, no surround view, etc. and was just missing Mark Levinson and Dynamic Handling (with those would have been $56k).

The TLX was $54,645. Feels like $10k+ more car, and not just a couple grand, than the IS. I just wish I could pull over the Lexus's quick & flawless widescreen top of dash infotainment that booted immediately, never paused, never crashed, never had a single CarPlay connection issue, and mesh it with the Acura's incredible ELS sound. And the surround view camera, as it was SOOO good, and the TLX's rear only camera looks like a generic blurry view from 1998.

Nothing else though, as the Acura is better in every other regard.

And glad I skipped my IS500 idea. Would have been fun, but still too small, and winter, etc. I'd not be able to easily drive it in turbo crackling comfort like the SH-AWD TLX S.

Last edited by beach109; 01-11-2022 at 02:27 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by beach109:
F23A4 (01-11-2022), WTF.Acura (01-12-2022)
Old 01-11-2022, 03:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Good info, and very telling evaluation in comparing the IS350 F-Sport and TLX Type S. The IS is one of the few Toyota products that I like, my favorite being the Tundra followed closely by their BMW Supra.

I officially threw my hat into the TLX Type S ring today, waiting for my store to receive a Performance Red/Ebony Type S to replace my Performance Red/Ebony A-Spec. I should be joining the Type S owner ranks come this February.
The following 8 users liked this post by F23A4:
a35tl (01-11-2022), Camaro194 (01-11-2022), Honda430 (01-11-2022), Legend2TL (01-12-2022), MarcoTLX (01-11-2022), one4all (01-13-2022), Pens Fan (01-11-2022), WTF.Acura (01-12-2022) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-11-2022, 03:56 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by beach109
The IS was $51,490. Had everything, unlike most oddball IS350's with the baby infotainment screen, no surround view, etc. and was just missing Mark Levinson and Dynamic Handling (with those would have been $56k).

The TLX was $54,645. Feels like $10k+ more car, and not just a couple grand, than the IS. I just wish I could pull over the Lexus's quick & flawless widescreen top of dash infotainment that booted immediately, never paused, never crashed, never had a single CarPlay connection issue, and mesh it with the Acura's incredible ELS sound. And the surround view camera, as it was SOOO good, and the TLX's rear only camera looks like a generic blurry view from 1998.

And glad I skipped my IS500 idea. Would have been fun, but still too small, and winter, etc. I'd not be able to easily drive it in turbo crackling comfort like the SH-AWD TLX S.
Yeah, IS350 is kinda small once you get close to it (or get inside). Reminds me of a Civic sedan. Sure is pretty though. Of course, Lexus has bigger/better cars. I didn't care for the way Lexus does the high-end Options either. It's hard to buy a new car off the lot as the dealers don't seem to know how to order/build a properly "loaded" car.

So sounds like you gave up some working Tech (Surround View Cameras, Digital Dash, Responsive Touch-Screen based Infotainment, Working CarPlay, Modern High-Res Rear View Camera)
for
A bigger (and heavier) sedan with a larger engine.

Not bad. Another car to look at would have been Audi S5-SB Prestige .
Old 01-11-2022, 03:59 PM
Intermediate

Received 35 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by bilirubin
My 22' Type-S Apex Blue with Performance Wheels won't arrive until March or April. In the meantime I located a brand new White 2022 M340I xDrive for $58,850 before taxes.

v/r
Old 01-11-2022, 04:04 PM
Burning Brakes

I officially threw my hat into the TLX Type S ring today, waiting for my store to receive a Performance Red/Ebony Type S to replace my Performance Red/Ebony A-Spec. I should be joining the Type S owner ranks come this February.
Congratulations. Man, I'm envious of you rich-guys and your new cars.

I do like that Performance Red color. Back when I was looking at TLX, it was my second color choice.

Old 01-11-2022, 04:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Tesla1856
Congratulations. Man, I'm envious of you rich-guys and your new cars.

I do like that Performance Red color. Back when I was looking at TLX, it was my second color choice.
Sarcasm aside, color originally was my fourth choice when getting the A-Spec.....but then it grew on me.
Old 01-11-2022, 04:37 PM
Adept Acura Enthusiast

Received 326 Likes on 218 Posts
Congrats figured you’d fall in and want to trade up! Now you in the waiting room with me and a few others to get a Type-S! Still somewhat kinda torn between MSM (Modern Steel) or TEP (Tiger Eye) but tentatively waiting on a TEP Type-S to come into my dealership they’re saying March-April.
F23A4 (01-11-2022)
Old 01-11-2022, 05:06 PM
Pro

Received 544 Likes on 256 Posts

Do you mind sharing with us how much of a hit you took in trading in the IS?
Old 01-11-2022, 07:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by MarcoTLX
Congrats figured you’d fall in and want to trade up! Now you in the waiting room with me and a few others to get a Type-S! Still somewhat kinda torn between MSM (Modern Steel) or TEP (Tiger Eye) but tentatively waiting on a TEP Type-S to come into my dealership they’re saying March-April.
Thank you. Oh yeah and I think my dealer is also chomping at the bit to take in my A-Spec given the shortage of TLXs.
The following 2 users liked this post by F23A4:
MarcoTLX (01-12-2022), one4all (01-13-2022)
Old 01-11-2022, 08:31 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Honda430
Do you mind sharing with us how much of a hit you took in trading in the IS?
I didn’t. The beauty of Lexus resale value in a nuts market, I sold it late November to my Jeep dealer after having it appraised elsewhere, and did so for just $1000 under the original MSRP.

May not have been big enough or powerful enough, but I’ll never balk at Lexus resale. They then sold it used for more than the original MSRP.

The TLX should hold value too given scarcity, but not sure if it will like that—let’s all hope yes, though💯✅
Honda430 (01-11-2022)
Old 01-11-2022, 11:04 PM
Instructor

Received 234 Likes on 99 Posts
I didn’t. The beauty of Lexus resale value in a nuts market, I sold it late November to my Jeep dealer after having it appraised elsewhere, and did so for just $1000 under the original MSRP.

May not have been big enough or powerful enough, but I’ll never balk at Lexus resale. They then sold it used for more than the original MSRP.

The TLX should hold value too given scarcity, but not sure if it will like that—let’s all hope yes, though💯✅

ive heard several people say this and its wild to me. How are places able to sell a used car for the same price as a new one? To actually make a relevant profit they would have to sell the used car for over msrp. After they deal with paper work and commision its just hard to believe its profitable. They must be hoping they can force an undercoating and other throw ins on the new buyer as well.

selling so soon also is wild to me. Where i live even if i was offered msrp for the car id still be out the $8000 or so in taxes ( unless it was a trade-in rather then a sale). Thats a lot to drive a car for a few months.

Quick Reply: Any regrets from TLX Type S owners?