Acura TLX Type-S PMC Edition - Official Reveal

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2022, 02:55 PM
Drifting

Received 1,237 Likes on 895 Posts
I'm guessing the lack of Advance features in the TLX Type S PMC means the same for the Integra that just came out. Primary focus (and love) is on the MDX/RDX SUVs and that is where everyone will continue to salivate over the A-Spec/Advance versions.
The following users liked this post:
loki (10-10-2022)
Old 07-02-2022, 03:15 PM
Pro

Received 433 Likes on 249 Posts
Originally Posted by ELIN
I'm guessing the lack of Advance features in the TLX Type S PMC means the same for the Integra that just came out. Primary focus (and love) is on the MDX/RDX SUVs and that is where everyone will continue to salivate over the A-Spec/Advance versions.
Not as much salivation as over 0-60 times for them.

On a serious note, it makes sense to focus on their SUV lines as buyers shift towards larger vehicles.
Old 07-02-2022, 04:43 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Received 432 Likes on 299 Posts
Originally Posted by MarcoTLX
So my thoughts are what the MSRP is gonna be? I bet it will touch $60k msrp

My guess is only 360 will be made much like the 1G TLX PMC Edition?

Also why a PMC Edition so early in its model's life cycle?

Edit: It would have been sick if Acura offered the TLX-S PMC Edition in Gotham Gray Matte w/ red seats
Timing and it's life cycle is not an issue. This not a re-make...or even a slight re-do. It's just cosmetic..and thus can be offered anytime. I'm sure we all were surprised to see this...
since it apparently was a well kept secret...esp. to be released in red, white, and blue right before the July 4 holiday weekend.
The following 2 users liked this post by Colorado Guy AF Ret.:
Big_Slick (07-03-2022), MarcoTLX (07-03-2022)
Old 07-02-2022, 05:05 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

PMC Edition thoughts

Kind of a nice surprise. Well kept secret...for it's timing of the release...in red, white and blue. Not sure the number to be built....360?? Where did that # come from? I don't believe
that many will be built. I'm going off of the very low numbers of Type S models that were built to begin with. The last PMC was the RDX...and 200 were made. That's on a model that
produced WAY more units than the Type S TLX. So, I'm guessing....right at 200 max. Could be wrong, but, that # makes more sense....considering everything.

It is cosmetic only with no adding of Adv. features, that yes, we wish it had. Esp. me, since I just bought a '22. Which brings up an interesting situation...for me. The timing couldn't have
been worse...for me. IF they had announced sooner...like when mine was on it's way....I could have cancelled and ordered this one. I can still swap. I'm #1 for the only allocation my dealer
will get...most likely. That's what has happened in the past. With only 200 RDX PMC's made, many dealers did not get one. But, for me to swap now...or when it does come out....prob. won't
happen, but, I'll never say...never.

The specific build with all of it's accessories is very nice. The colors are amazing...and the paint job, which on the other PMC's, Acura said it takes 4 days to do, and then the hand building, just like
the NSX got....makes for a special, rare to own model. And, they will all sell with no problem. Whatever the price.

I agree that I wish they would have added the Adv. features I'm missing. That's what made my RDX so much better....making the A-Spec/Adv version for '22. I like ours a lot.
I miss the 360 cameras on my Type S. HUD I can live without. But, it's a great driver as it is.

So, would I have staked my claim on their 1 allocation if I had known before I signed for my '22?? Most likely I would have. The white/red one. Blue is tempting, but, I'm not so keen on the
Orchid interior. Wife likes it...but, it's my "hot rod." LOL....she has her RDX!! Will I trade for it later this year?? "Never say never." My name is on their allocation. Until I decide. Will they do
ADM? Prob. not. The don't on any vehicles. That included the NSX Type S's they sold. Or any Acura, even in today's market. There are a few dealers around the country that sell at MSRP..
Old 07-02-2022, 08:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 255 Posts
Originally Posted by richii0207

1. I don’t know why my other response didn’t edit properly.

2. I just wanted to add the fact that PMC is not a racing trim from Honda. That’s what the Type R is reserved for.
1. No problem. Just like my link the Sarah's 2020 TLX V6 PMC video was suppose to be just a simple URL link (not the whole video inserted ).

2. Cool. But I thought we were talking about Acuras.
Old 07-02-2022, 08:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Colorado Guy AF Ret.

Kind of a nice surprise. Well kept secret...for it's timing of the release...

Esp. me, since I just bought a '22. Which brings up an interesting situation...for me. The timing couldn't have
been worse...for me. IF they had announced sooner...like when mine was on it's way....I could have cancelled and ordered this one.
Agreed. I really don't like how the Acura announcements trickle in. It makes it hard to plan and get the model of car you want.

We have this (all new model) sedan. Well, no ... some things you saw in that video are actually the Type-S V6 model. We know you need a car now, but you will have to wait for the V6 (even though many people would have bought it instead). So, you buy the TLX V6 Type-S . Oh, guess what ... we are making the TLX V6 Type-S PMC (early) too bad you didn't wait. WTH ?
The following 3 users liked this post by Tesla1856:
Colorado Guy AF Ret. (07-04-2022), MarcoTLX (07-03-2022), silverTL6 (07-03-2022)
Old 07-02-2022, 08:28 PM
Drifting

Received 1,237 Likes on 895 Posts
Originally Posted by Tesla1856
Agreed. I really don't like how the Acura announcements trickle in. It makes it hard to plan and get the model of car you want.

We have this (all new model) sedan. Well, no ... some things you saw in that video are actually the Type-S V6 model. We know you need a car now, but you will have to wait for the V6 (even though many people would have bought it instead). So, you buy the TLX V6 Type-S . Oh, guess what ... we are making the TLX V6 Type-S PMC (early) too bad you didn't wait. WTH ?
There’s no better business than repeat business!
Old 07-03-2022, 06:16 AM
Pro

Received 499 Likes on 244 Posts
Any idea if it would be possible to order PMC parts like the wheels, emblems or door handles? Was that doable for prior PMC editions?
Old 07-03-2022, 06:23 AM
®

Received 473 Likes on 224 Posts
Originally Posted by csmeance
US gets screwed on lots of nice features that are standard in canada, like the ability to unlock the car from exterior rear doors in sedan. My 4G TL got only front handles that can unlock the doors in USA vs canada has it on all 4.

That blue with orchid interior (blue stitching) is stellar. I would love to purchase one but as stated, ADM is going to be nuts from most dealers. Hopefully my local dealer can work something out.
Honda's favorite pastime. They have done this for years. 2016 Accord Sport in USA was cosmetic, in Canada it was based on EX. Or current Civic Si. Canadians get digital dash, fog lights, wireless charger, heated front AND rear seats, mirror turn signals, front AND rear parking sensors, dual climate controls, auto dimming rear view mirror with home link. And...for $1000 less (USD less mind you; I'm keeping mind of Canadian dollar).
Old 07-03-2022, 06:37 PM
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by WTF.Acura
Because the car will be receiving an MMC for the 2024MY that will more than likely be designed by Honda Japan just like the Integra and all Honda/ Acura going forward.
They will screw up the design, they literally took every design element and tried to slap it on the Integra and it looks awkward from some angles. There is nothing wrong with the TLX design, maybe more agressive front clip and message the rear tail lights so they are more pointed at the corner like the MDX and closer to the concept. I would focus on power and fuel economy if I was them for the MMC and getting all the missing Advance features on the Type S.
The following 2 users liked this post by MIKEYDRED:
a35tl (07-04-2022), silverTL6 (07-04-2022)
Old 07-03-2022, 06:50 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by MIKEYDRED
They will screw up the design, they literally took every design element and tried to slap it on the Integra and it looks awkward from some angles.
The design element is not from the TLX. Acura designs their vehicles with chicane-type styling now. You’ll see the same styling on the MDX and the front DRL of the refreshed RDX model.
Old 07-03-2022, 06:58 PM
Adept Acura Enthusiast

Received 335 Likes on 225 Posts
Originally Posted by bilirubin
Any idea if it would be possible to order PMC parts like the wheels, emblems or door handles? Was that doable for prior PMC editions?
I believe they will require your VIN to verify its a PMC edition before allowing a customer to buy PMC parts.
bilirubin (07-03-2022)
Old 07-04-2022, 04:20 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Thoughts and info of the PMC Edition

After some time has passed, I have gone back to look at past PMC editions, read up on the number of units produced, read again how long the paint
process takes...5 days, and the fact that many past PMC Editions did combine the Adv. Package with the 2020 TLX and MDX, etc. Also pricing.

I'll try and be brief....I know, my haters think I write too much. Oh well.

1. Many of the previous models had 360 units built. That's why I read that in some of your posts. BUT, that is not always true, and again, I
believe it will not be true for the '23 TLX. The '22 RDX had...200 units built. And Acura makes a lot more RDX's than they do TLX Type S's.
So, I do not believe 360 units will be built. More like 200 since there are hardly 2,000 total Type S units built at all. Could even be less...who
knows at this point.

2. The "hand built" process does include "some" robotics...but, not like the reg. assy. line. The NSX factory is used, now dormant...after the last
NSX left there, but, a great facility for these craftsmen to do a LOT of hand assy. and time to hand fit parts, pieces, etc.

3. Pricing....well, I see that past models appeared to have been about $2K more than the top version of a model...maybe a little more. I thought
they were more...maybe I'm wrong, but, that's the $$ figures I found from past ones. That is beyond a great deal....esp. when talking my next item...paint!!

4. Paint process does take right at 5 days, to include curing time. Now...get a paint job like this one done by a top pro and it would start at $10K! And they do
wet sanding between applications of base coat, paint, and clear coat. I'm sure the PMX center does not do that. But, for a "factory car" it's probably the best paint
job you can get. Here's how it's laid on: They use an advanced robotic paint system in multiple base coats to enhance color intensity. Next a mid-coat of gold
and orange mica is applied giving off a pearlescent effect in the sunlight, and lastly, four layers of clear coat are applied to increase the paint's luster and finish
protection. Then there's the curing process.

Now, that alone is worth way more than the up cost for a PMC. It kinda scares me to own one and get a paint scratch!! Who fixes it...and how will it look, etc??? I think the same
when I watch car auctions and the amazing paint jobs many have.

5. Then there are all the Accessories that are put on the car, plus some extras not available normally. Add all those up! I know, I bought some. Not all. So, start doing the math,
and add up the costs for what is done...and compare to what the MSRP will be. Costs will far exceed the extra MSRP over the Type S base or wheel/tire option model.
Now, I KNOW, many here will say...BUT, the ADM's!!!! Yes, many will do that and some won't. I'm not sure how it went with past PMC versions and if buyers were reluctant
to pay the ADM's.

6. I just got my '22 Type S and I like it a lot...so far. Put on BBS wheels, did the carbon fiber, black chrome emblems, the Platinum White Pearl is beautiful...and had it buff waxed
with a silicone liquid wax, and it pops. I do like the look of the PMC wheels, and I see someone here asked IF they could buy them across the counter at Acura dealers. I thought
the same thing. An extra set of wheels in that color would be nice. But, as someone else said...May not be able to buy them without a VIN from "your PMC!" LOL. Then again, who
knows for sure at this point?

I have the option to buy the only allocation my dealer will prob. get...may get 2, but, that's a stretch. Many will not get any allocations. I don't believe I will exercise that option. IF I had
known earlier, as I've written here before, I would have cancelled mine before signing and buying....it would have gone to someone still wanting one on their list....and I would have bought
the PMC. But, as the old saying goes, timing is everything.

7. Forgot about the PMC Edition getting the TLX Adv. features that our Type S's don't have. IF you read the Press Release from Acura, it doesn't appear that will happen with this '23 model.
Why not Acura??? NOW...that could change my thoughts of buying one, IF they really do put the Adv. features on this model. That would sway me. Waiting to find out for sure, and what
the MSRP will be.

I like they are offering this model in 3 colors....ALL are prior NSX colors, and are amazing. And having one of just a few around the country would be cool too. You would get looks and questions!!
Oh yes, don't forget, we'd still have to buy the Spare Tire Kit...if so inclined. Mine is on back order!!

Have a great 4th!!

Last edited by Colorado Guy AF Ret.; 07-04-2022 at 04:22 PM.
mapleloaf (04-02-2023)
Old 07-04-2022, 04:27 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Originally Posted by MarcoTLX
I believe they will require your VIN to verify its a PMC edition before allowing a customer to buy PMC parts.
Might be right on most, if not all. But, I'm going to check with my Service/Parts Director...know him well, about the wheels specifically. Never know until
we ask. Yes, I have amazing BBS wheels on my new '22, but, I do like the look of the PMC ones. Great for putting on as an extra set, and a new look
for one's Type S.
MarcoTLX (07-04-2022)
Old 07-04-2022, 05:08 PM
Pro

Might be right on most, if not all. But, I'm going to check with my Service/Parts Director...know him well, about the wheels specifically. Never know until
we ask. Yes, I have amazing BBS wheels on my new '22, but, I do like the look of the PMC ones. Great for putting on as an extra set, and a new look
for one's Type S.
Do you have any pics of your car with BBS wheels? I’m eyeing the Titan7 TS-5s
Old 07-04-2022, 05:24 PM
Pro

Received 544 Likes on 256 Posts
Before Acura announced the PMC TLX I was contemplating what wheel would I have gotten for my Aspec if I could do it all over again. Settled on this HF-5 20 diameter. My current wheels are 19s.

The following 2 users liked this post by Honda430:
bilirubin (07-04-2022), richii0207 (07-04-2022)
Old 07-04-2022, 05:46 PM
Pro

I'm not sure the PMC will be available in Canada, normally there would be a press release on the Canadian Acura news website, but not this time.
Old 07-04-2022, 07:14 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts
How is a hand built car any better than cars built by automated robots that build hundreds of them a day? And what does hand built actually mean?
Old 07-04-2022, 07:47 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Originally Posted by jjsC5
How is a hand built car any better than cars built by automated robots that build hundreds of them a day? And what does hand built actually mean?
A robot doesn't take the time to make sure a fender, or door, or trunk, or hood, etc, etc, is set exactly perfectly with even gaps, etc. The PMC techs to much by hand,
and have the time to dedicate to all items installed by hand, that robots normally do. They observe, adjust, measure, etc. Just a bit or a lot more "eyes on" and doing
by hand, I'll take over robots, as good as they have become. Why do you think they chose to build the NSX this way and not on an assy. line?
And, you answered yourself....in a way. They build "hundreds of them a day"....the PMC build site takes their time....and build, prob. 200 this time, over a long period of time.
I'll take the PMC method any time over hundreds built on an assy line where human hands rarely do much touching, hands on fitting, eyeballing for errors, adjusting, etc. Just
a fact of life. One method is just better than the other.
Old 07-04-2022, 07:57 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

[QUOTE=Honda430;16828467]Before Acura announced the PMC TLX I was contemplating what wheel would I have gotten for my Aspec if I could do it all over again. Settled on this HF-5 20 diameter. My current wheels are 19s.

Great choice. I had Vossen HF-1's or HF-5's on my list for a long time. Wasn't looking at that color, and thus couldn't settle on a finish/color. I found the BBS and liked them, but,
it took a long time searching many wheels!! I went with 19's on my Type S. Put on 255/40's....to match the diam. of the 255/35's. Gives me a little more sidewall, and with Conti
DWS 06 Plus tires, I don't truly sacrifice handling...at all...with this street driven car. As some would say...:"oh, why did you do that and give up handling?" Yeah right!! That's a person
that doesn't really know cars very well.
Honda430 (07-04-2022)
Old 07-04-2022, 08:03 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Missed this on PMC model

I wrote about the PMC earlier. I just re-read the Press Release and I missed this item...that IS on the Advance, but, not on the reg. Type S....BUT, will be on the
PMC version...according the the PR....a heated steering wheel.

So, if they can do that, then, like us all have said, why not put ALL of the Adv. goodies on this PMC, that are not on the reg. Type S??? HELLLOOO Acura!!
Old 07-04-2022, 08:32 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Originally Posted by richii0207
Do you have any pics of your car with BBS wheels? I’m eyeing the Titan7 TS-5s
In my profile. 3 pics sitting in the delivery bay. Vivid Racing still have these avail. 19", 44mm offset. 9" wide. Put on 255/40/19
tires to match the diam. of the OEM tires. I put on optional center caps, where the silver letters, BBS, are shadowed with red. I
wanted some red to go with the red calipers. They also have a red center cap with silver BBS letters. So, more red, but, I took
the more conservative route. They come std. with black caps with silver BBS letters. There are other cap options too.
They ship the wheels with their well known, high end aluminum centering rings with locks, that can handle the "on and off" of the
wheels. My Master NSX Tech...who did all things on my car, said those rings were perfection. They also come with chrome valve
caps with BBS imprinted on end.
richii0207 (07-04-2022)
Old 07-04-2022, 10:05 PM
Pro

Received 539 Likes on 264 Posts
I wrote about the PMC earlier. I just re-read the Press Release and I missed this item...that IS on the Advance, but, not on the reg. Type S....BUT, will be on the
PMC version...according the the PR....a heated steering wheel.

So, if they can do that, then, like us all have said, why not put ALL of the Adv. goodies on this PMC, that are not on the reg. Type S??? HELLLOOO Acura!!
They still might release it with all the extra features that are in the Advance model. Sometimes you don't release all details at once. Let's see.
Old 07-05-2022, 04:31 AM
mvl
Racer

Received 215 Likes on 143 Posts
The 2nd gen NSX's didn't sell as well as Acura expected in the first couple years so the PMC factory had the most experienced technicians Honda employed with little to do. PMC editions were Acura's plan to give that factory something to work on.

They have always included every Aspec+Advance feature available for a given model, plus an NSX paint job. It was the only way to buy an Aspec+Advance model before the 2022 RDX. MSRP was "relatively" good, in 2020/2021 it was the cost of adding Aspec markup plus Advance markup to the tech price, basically getting the NSX paintjob for free. Acura announced in some conference (forget which) that it was a bridge to getting the TypeS ready, so I wasn't surprised to see 2022 only offer PMC for the RDX.

I ended up getting a 2022 CPO PMC RDX. We needed another car in our family and my wife test drove and loved the RDX Aspec Advance, and loved blue/orchid. So (happy wife happy life...) my purchase options were waiting 1-2 months for a blue 2022 Aspec Advance, or a 6000-mile 2022 CPO PMC available immediately, at the same price. Feeling that the PMC had a better look with the blacked out badges/roof/exhaust, and likely would depreciate less due to it's rareness, it was the no-brainer decision.

The sales rep did mention that PMC cars are better built due to the experience and hand-building at the factory, and so far it matches my experience: most of my prior Honda/Acura purchases had TSBs or things just not assembled properly in the first year, which often required dealers doing warranty fixes during my 1st year oil changes. The RDX PMC has (so far) been unusually perfect in 1st couple months of ownership: no issues, nothing installed improperly or loose, and even feels like it creaks less on hard bumps in the road.

Only warning for potential PMC owners is that it is a supercar paint job. The owners manual says you can't put it through a regular automated car wash, recommending handwash only. I don't have time for handwashes so ended up doing a full PPF wrap and getting a touchless carwash membership.

Regarding the 2023 TLX PMC, this history would make me assume it will have Advance features +Aspec looks + typeS power, keeping to the PMC brand of always offering everything available in a model. Also, it starts to answer the question I had of: what is the PMC factory going to do in 2023 with the 360 NSX builds going away and the TypeS taking away their MDX/TLX business? I didn't think the RDX could support 500 units in 2023, so the TLX starts to fill in the picture but I still don't think it is enough.

I saw some interviews in the Integra prelaunch that it was eventually targeting a bit of the halo spot that the NSX was leaving behind, so I could see a "base" TypeS Integra getting the Type R engine. And a PMC TypeS Integra adding all of Acura's Advance features to that, and becoming a reasonable halo bridge to the 3rd gen NSX.

Last edited by mvl; 07-05-2022 at 04:36 AM.
bilirubin (07-05-2022)
Old 07-05-2022, 10:43 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mvl
They have always included every Aspec+Advance feature available for a given model, plus an NSX paint job.
Regarding the 2023 TLX PMC, this history would make me assume it will have Advance features +Aspec looks + typeS power, keeping to the PMC brand of always offering everything available in a model.
Good post. Didn't think I was imagining it.

Originally Posted by mvl
I saw some interviews in the Integra prelaunch that it was eventually targeting a bit of the halo spot that the NSX was leaving behind,
Really? That just a bit sad.
Old 07-05-2022, 03:10 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Originally Posted by dmski
They still might release it with all the extra features that are in the Advance model. Sometimes you don't release all details at once. Let's see.
I agree that it's still "possible" but, I'm suspect. Press Releases are not always "spot on" and I know that. But, they did put in the line about the "flat bottomed heated steering wheel."
Makes me think....IF they did that then IF the other Adv. items were to be included why didn't they show all of it. None of it at this point makes sense. Doing the heated wheel and not
the other Adv. items just doesn't make sense, esp. since that's how they have done PMC models in the past. But, past does not always predict the future!! Like always we'll have to
wait and see.
Old 07-05-2022, 03:20 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Originally Posted by mvl
The 2nd gen NSX's didn't sell as well as Acura expected in the first couple years so the PMC factory had the most experienced technicians Honda employed with little to do. PMC editions were Acura's plan to give that factory something to work on.

They have always included every Aspec+Advance feature available for a given model, plus an NSX paint job. It was the only way to buy an Aspec+Advance model before the 2022 RDX. MSRP was "relatively" good, in 2020/2021 it was the cost of adding Aspec markup plus Advance markup to the tech price, basically getting the NSX paintjob for free. Acura announced in some conference (forget which) that it was a bridge to getting the TypeS ready, so I wasn't surprised to see 2022 only offer PMC for the RDX.

I ended up getting a 2022 CPO PMC RDX. We needed another car in our family and my wife test drove and loved the RDX Aspec Advance, and loved blue/orchid. So (happy wife happy life...) my purchase options were waiting 1-2 months for a blue 2022 Aspec Advance, or a 6000-mile 2022 CPO PMC available immediately, at the same price. Feeling that the PMC had a better look with the blacked out badges/roof/exhaust, and likely would depreciate less due to it's rareness, it was the no-brainer decision.

The sales rep did mention that PMC cars are better built due to the experience and hand-building at the factory, and so far it matches my experience: most of my prior Honda/Acura purchases had TSBs or things just not assembled properly in the first year, which often required dealers doing warranty fixes during my 1st year oil changes. The RDX PMC has (so far) been unusually perfect in 1st couple months of ownership: no issues, nothing installed improperly or loose, and even feels like it creaks less on hard bumps in the road.

Only warning for potential PMC owners is that it is a supercar paint job. The owners manual says you can't put it through a regular automated car wash, recommending handwash only. I don't have time for handwashes so ended up doing a full PPF wrap and getting a touchless carwash membership.

Regarding the 2023 TLX PMC, this history would make me assume it will have Advance features +Aspec looks + typeS power, keeping to the PMC brand of always offering everything available in a model. Also, it starts to answer the question I had of: what is the PMC factory going to do in 2023 with the 360 NSX builds going away and the TypeS taking away their MDX/TLX business? I didn't think the RDX could support 500 units in 2023, so the TLX starts to fill in the picture but I still don't think it is enough.

I saw some interviews in the Integra prelaunch that it was eventually targeting a bit of the halo spot that the NSX was leaving behind, so I could see a "base" TypeS Integra getting the Type R engine. And a PMC TypeS Integra adding all of Acura's Advance features to that, and becoming a reasonable halo bridge to the 3rd gen NSX.
Yeah, I wrote earlier that I'm "scared" of that special paint job and trying to keep it looking good, but, more so IF it were to get a scratch, etc. Looking great in a collection, but, start driving it....and then you worry about
something happening that will be a BIG ISSUE to fix. For me, I wouldn't go through the wrap process. Seems kinda strange that Acura says don't take it through a car wash. They put 4 coats of clear to give the paint
extra protection...so, Acura....huh?? I have for yrs used the same auto car wash system...yes, with brushes...well, super soft ones, etc.....but, NEVER an issue with any type of fine scratching, etc. AND, I do care about
my paint and how it looks. Once I learned that their system doesn't harm my car....I've kept using them. I look close, in good sunlight, from different angles...and no scratching of any kind. I do have a great buff wax job
on my cars, and I'm sure that helps, but, their system just works. I know, not true of many automated wash systems.
Old 07-05-2022, 04:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 562 Likes on 293 Posts
A robot doesn't take the time to make sure a fender, or door, or trunk, or hood, etc, etc, is set exactly perfectly with even gaps, etc. The PMC techs to much by hand,
and have the time to dedicate to all items installed by hand, that robots normally do. They observe, adjust, measure, etc. Just a bit or a lot more "eyes on" and doing
by hand, I'll take over robots, as good as they have become. Why do you think they chose to build the NSX this way and not on an assy. line?
And, you answered yourself....in a way. They build "hundreds of them a day"....the PMC build site takes their time....and build, prob. 200 this time, over a long period of time.
I'll take the PMC method any time over hundreds built on an assy line where human hands rarely do much touching, hands on fitting, eyeballing for errors, adjusting, etc. Just
That is still done even if built by a Robot. There are numerous quality control checks done at each station. Hand built is a gimmick to charge more. A robot can do the exact same thing as a human and more accurate, any mistake the robot makes the human goes behind it and fixes anyways.
The following 3 users liked this post by Kense:
Jim2301 (07-06-2022), jjsC5 (07-05-2022), silverTL6 (07-05-2022)
Old 07-05-2022, 05:46 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Originally Posted by Kense
That is still done even if built by a Robot. There are numerous quality control checks done at each station. Hand built is a gimmick to charge more. A robot can do the exact same thing as a human and more accurate, any mistake the robot makes the human goes behind it and fixes anyways.
Funny how I knew you would answer me with that response. We'll have to agree to disagree. I know very well what the robotic assy. line is like. Been there, watched it all. I know what you
wrote is "basically" how it's done. The SPEED at which a "normal assy. line operates at" vs Master Techs putting most all the pieces together by hand, with no basic time limit....well, as I said before,
I'll take the MUCH SLOWER hand building of the same car. Now don't even tell me the paint job on the assy. line is the same as in the PMC plant. LOL!! We both know that's NOT the case.
5 days to paint and the multiple layers of color and the mid coat, and then the 4 layers of clear, and then the "oven.".....that paint job alone is worth the cost difference. And yes, I know pro
painters.

You must be a plant assy. line worker supv. or ??? LOL! To think that highly of a fast moving...yes modern....assy. line is as good as a hand built car....well, you must be associated. OR a
family member? I could be wrong. ???
Old 07-05-2022, 06:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Funny how I knew you would answer me with that response. We'll have to agree to disagree. I know very well what the robotic assy. line is like. Been there, watched it all. I know what you
wrote is "basically" how it's done. The SPEED at which a "normal assy. line operates at" vs Master Techs putting most all the pieces together by hand, with no basic time limit....well, as I said before,
I'll take the MUCH SLOWER hand building of the same car. Now don't even tell me the paint job on the assy. line is the same as in the PMC plant. LOL!! We both know that's NOT the case.
5 days to paint and the multiple layers of color and the mid coat, and then the 4 layers of clear, and then the "oven.".....that paint job alone is worth the cost difference. And yes, I know pro
painters.

You must be a plant assy. line worker supv. or ??? LOL! To think that highly of a fast moving...yes modern....assy. line is as good as a hand built car....well, you must be associated. OR a
family member? I could be wrong. ???
Yes you're wrong, I have nothing to do with any assembly line work. It's 2022, these robots assembling the car are more accurate than any human could be. The human just comes along for quality control. We are talking an Acura not a Rolls Royce. This is not going to be some 100% built by hand car. Also No Human is going to paint a car as perfect as the multi million dollar paint robots at plants. AMG charges a premium for that one man one engine non sense and it doesn't even matter or mean anything. It's a marketing gimmick.
Old 07-05-2022, 08:52 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Yes you're wrong, I have nothing to do with any assembly line work. It's 2022, these robots assembling the car are more accurate than any human could be. The human just comes along for quality control. We are talking an Acura not a Rolls Royce. This is not going to be some 100% built by hand car. Also No Human is going to paint a car as perfect as the multi million dollar paint robots at plants. AMG charges a premium for that one man one engine non sense and it doesn't even matter or mean anything. It's a marketing gimmick.
So, because these robotic assy. lines are so accurate....then why do so many complain about door gaps, hood alignment, fender alignment, etc??? It's there...don't deny that.

Man, you don't know some things apparently. Where are these TLX Type S PMC cars going to be built? Same exact place they have been "hand building" the NSX...and have you
seen the amazing paint on the NSX's?? What do you think made that happen. Same, advanced robotic paint booth that is used in the main plant!! Helllloooo!
No, it's not totally built by hand..I am smarter than that. But much of the car is hand built and adjusted and time taken to make it right in many areas. You are just wrong when you say
the robots on a fast moving assy. line are better than the PMC build site....where they have built the NSX for many yrs, the PMC versions of the MDX, RDX, and TLX not long ago.

You are fighting so hard to sell all of us on just how wonderful the main assy. line and "your robots"....must love them....do as good, if not better job than the PMC facility!! Nope...not convincing
many here I'm sure. Esp. not me. "Nuff said by us both. ACTUAL hands on...taking their time to fit most all parts, pieces, etc, beats out a FAST moving assy. line....no matter how good a robot is!

Have a great rest of your week.
mapleloaf (04-02-2023)
Old 07-05-2022, 09:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts
I don’t agree with you. Robots are incredibly sophisticated today. Repeatability means a lot. Plus that cars built by robots are inspected by humans before they leave the factory.

But the most ridiculous question you posed is “why do they choose to build the NSX this way…”. Very simple. The production numbers are so low that it simply does not make financial sense to invest in a system that is designed to build tens of thousand vehicles a year.

As to paint, hand painting vs robotic painting is not the reason for perfect paint jobs. It’s not the paint process that introduces orange peel, it’s the paint. Todays paints are formulated to meet strict EPA regulations. It’s the nature of the paints that they are uneven. Perfect paint jobs are achieved by hand sanding and buffing.

Last edited by jjsC5; 07-05-2022 at 09:24 PM.
Old 07-05-2022, 11:01 PM
Burning Brakes

So, because these robotic assy. lines are so accurate....then why do so many complain about door gaps, hood alignment, fender alignment, etc??? It's there...don't deny that.

Man, you don't know some things apparently. Where are these TLX Type S PMC cars going to be built? Same exact place they have been "hand building" the NSX...and have you
seen the amazing paint on the NSX's?? What do you think made that happen. Same, advanced robotic paint booth that is used in the main plant!! Helllloooo!
No, it's not totally built by hand..I am smarter than that. But much of the car is hand built and adjusted and time taken to make it right in many areas. You are just wrong when you say
the robots on a fast moving assy. line are better than the PMC build site....where they have built the NSX for many yrs, the PMC versions of the MDX, RDX, and TLX not long ago.

You are fighting so hard to sell all of us on just how wonderful the main assy. line and "your robots"....must love them....do as good, if not better job than the PMC facility!! Nope...not convincing
many here I'm sure. Esp. not me. "Nuff said by us both. ACTUAL hands on...taking their time to fit most all parts, pieces, etc, beats out a FAST moving assy. line....no matter how good a robot is!

Have a great rest of your week.
You seem really offended by Robots. Please don’t blurt out things like “I don’t know some things apparently “ when it is YOU who fits that.
jjsC5 (07-06-2022)
Old 07-06-2022, 03:22 AM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,143 Likes on 817 Posts
I'm not sure the PMC will be available in Canada, normally there would be a press release on the Canadian Acura news website, but not this time.
For reference, Acura Canada only made 240 units of 2021 TLX Type-S, and probably less than 240 units of 2022 TLX-S for the entire Canadian market.

If the TLX-S PMC were to be available in Canada, it may just be a handful of them. Probably not worth retooling the production line for just a handful of Canadian spec. cars.

Old 07-06-2022, 12:19 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
For reference, Acura Canada only made 240 units of 2021 TLX Type-S, and probably less than 240 units of 2022 TLX-S for the entire Canadian market.

If the TLX-S PMC were to be available in Canada, it may just be a handful of them. Probably not worth retooling the production line for just a handful of Canadian spec. cars.
Makes sense, as you said, the Type S is already quite rare in Canada (my sales rep had said max 250 units per year in 2021).
Old 07-06-2022, 12:44 PM
Advanced

Received 44 Likes on 21 Posts
if the PMC edition doesn't have HUD and/or 360 cameras, then that's pretty stupid IMHO
mike03a3 (07-06-2022)
Old 07-06-2022, 12:53 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by whiteGSR
if the PMC edition doesn't have HUD and/or 360 cameras, then that's pretty stupid IMHO
We shall see. More features are always nice to have.
Old 07-06-2022, 01:16 PM
®

Received 473 Likes on 224 Posts
Originally Posted by WTF.Acura
There have already been spy shots of the refreshed TLX.
https://youtu.be/DxRc5o38Fvw
minute mark- 13:02
That's a normal lifespan of Acura models (for the most part). First 3 years (2020-2023); while 2024-2025 will be MMC, unveiled next summer. Makes total sense it's already doing road testing. Time is flying so we're not realizing that the current TLX is already 3 years old.
Old 07-06-2022, 02:42 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,143 Likes on 817 Posts
Makes sense, as you said, the Type S is already quite rare in Canada (my sales rep had said max 250 units per year in 2021).
In fact, the Canadian TLX-S is equivalent to a limited production release. It is difficult to get one new, and my Type-S still receives compliments from strangers even after it has been on the road for 9 months.

The following 2 users liked this post by Edward'TLS:
bilirubin (07-06-2022), MarcoTLX (07-07-2022)
Old 07-06-2022, 04:42 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

You seem really offended by Robots. Please don’t blurt out things like “I don’t know some things apparently “ when it is YOU who fits that.
Assumption on your part. You don't know what I know. NOT offended by robots. I can "blurt out many things" if it applies to the subject...without calling anyone out with
disparaging words, etc. So, again...YOU don't know me and truly what I'm trying to say with robots vs. the PMC Editions and how they are made. I KNOW assy. lines at
car assy. plants. Been there...seen them, know more than you are "assuming" so you attack me. Get a grip on proper knowledge of someone and their point...before you
attack them. Then we can have a "normal debate" and sharing of info. and doing a comparison...based on what we KNOW, not what anyone assumes they think they know.

Quick Reply: Acura TLX Type-S PMC Edition - Official Reveal