2021 Acura TLX vs The Competition

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2020, 07:56 PM
Racer

Received 237 Likes on 155 Posts
Let's not forget the Dodge charger as competitor even if it does not belong to the segment theoretically.

Almost 100.000 sold in 2019 (actually increasing sales vs. other sedans) and the majority of them wit the 392 and Hellcat engine...obviously they are doing something right.

I saw this one yesterday, exactly the same color at the Jeep dealership where my Trackhawk was being serviced

Sub $50k, 0-60 in the high 3, 0.96g on the skidpad...what not to love?? No wonder they are selling like hotcakes....

The following users liked this post:
04WDPSeDaN (10-08-2020)
Old 10-08-2020, 09:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 708 Likes on 325 Posts
Originally Posted by 4G-Lover
Let's not forget the Dodge charger as competitor even if it does not belong to the segment theoretically.

Almost 100.000 sold in 2019 (actually increasing sales vs. other sedans) and the majority of them wit the 392 and Hellcat engine...obviously they are doing something right.

I saw this one yesterday, exactly the same color at the Jeep dealership where my Trackhawk was being serviced

Sub $50k, 0-60 in the high 3, 0.96g on the skidpad...what not to love?? No wonder they are selling like hotcakes....

Someone with more organizational skills than me should put together a list of all vehicles that are priced within $5,000 plus or minus of the TLX regardless of size, country of origin, brand, performance, and see what everyone thinks as to which car they’d pick. I wonder if even Acura has done this.
RedOctober (10-08-2020)
Old 10-08-2020, 09:50 PM
Racer

Received 171 Likes on 106 Posts

Definitely not sub $50K if you want it equipped like a TLX. Try $55K+ for the 392 Scat Pack widebody, and AWD is not an option.

Last edited by Carnage719; 10-08-2020 at 09:54 PM.
Old 10-08-2020, 10:16 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 498 Likes on 249 Posts

other than being fast.. that thing does zero for me.
Old 10-08-2020, 10:21 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,420 Likes on 1,871 Posts

Wait a second, I can get a new Hellcat Charger for under 50K? Where and how many sales managers do I need to blow to get that kind of deal?
Old 10-08-2020, 10:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 118 Likes on 85 Posts
Originally Posted by Kense
LOL Yeah, I just don't get the appeal. I already have an SUV. I have no use for a wagon and really do not like the look. I don't even like SUV's but I have two kids and it's pretty useful for long trips. I would NOT want my fun car to basically be a low to the ground SUV. I want a regular car.
Haha, Since I already had MDX, and wanted to drive something sporty, practical when needed, but nothing flashy. I bought my self a wagon. It drives like a sports car, RWD platform with perfect weight distribution, awesome brakes, good handling and a hint of utility.
If Acura would make something Type S wagon for 50k, would buy it in a heart beat

Wagons rocks!!! LOL

Old 10-08-2020, 10:28 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by fiatlux
Wait a second, I can get a new Hellcat Charger for under 50K? Where and how many sales managers do I need to blow to get that kind of deal?
Wait. What???
Old 10-08-2020, 10:33 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 255 Posts
Why does it not belong?

While ours didn't look like that ... years ago we rented one for a week and drove it on PCH and around Malibu. It was nice.

However, I'm more interest in that Cadillac CT5 above. I'll have to do some research on what the V means (like in CT5-V )

https://media.cadillac.com/media/us/...t5-v/2020.html
Old 10-08-2020, 10:42 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Tesla1856
Why does it not belong?

While ours didn't look like that ... years ago we rented one for a week and drove it on PCH and around Malibu. It was nice.

However, I'm more interest in that Cadillac CT5 above. I'll have to do some research on what the V means (like in CT5-V )

https://media.cadillac.com/media/us/...t5-v/2020.html
V used to mean the highest performance model (think proper M, AMG, RS, etc). In their new naming scheme, V now is the mid-level trim that's equivalent to M-Sport (think M340i), AMG-Sport (think C43 AMG), S, Type-S, their old V-Sport, etc. The new high performance models are called "V Blackwing".
Old 10-08-2020, 11:11 PM
Pro

Received 544 Likes on 256 Posts
Originally Posted by SebringSilver
Someone with more organizational skills than me should put together a list of all vehicles that are priced within $5,000 plus or minus of the TLX regardless of size, country of origin, brand, performance, and see what everyone thinks as to which car they’d pick. I wonder if even Acura has done this.
I’m just going to conclude that many folks here have no idea how expensive are the vehicles that they typically use as reference. Base price for a Hellcat is $70,000. Reminds me of when I stopped in my local Audi dealer to take a look. There was this beautiful RS 5 sport back there. Beautiful car until I looked at the sticker. $81,000, damn near bit my tongue.

Last edited by Honda430; 10-08-2020 at 11:16 PM.
Old 10-09-2020, 12:13 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Carnage719
Definitely not sub $50K if you want it equipped like a TLX. Try $55K+ for the 392 Scat Pack widebody, and AWD is not an option.
Starts at 43K with incentives and loaded to the hilt peaks at 54K (Scat Pack widebody)

At that level of performance swapping tires is necessary anyway if you live in places with bad winters places since cars with similar capabilities, AWD or not, are sold with sticky summer tires...an AWD car with summer tires is useless in snow anyway so when winter comes you can put some good snow tires in your Charger which make going around in winter feasible.
Old 10-09-2020, 12:15 AM
Racer

Sorry, the pic of of an Hellcat Widebody but the Scat Pack 392 Widebody looks identical anyway.
Old 10-09-2020, 12:18 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Honda430
I’m just going to conclude that many folks here have no idea how expensive are the vehicles that they typically use as reference. Base price for a Hellcat is $70,000. Reminds me of when I stopped in my local Audi dealer to take a look. There was this beautiful RS 5 sport back there. Beautiful car until I looked at the sticker. $81,000, damn near bit my tongue.
My mistake, I posted the picture of an Hellcat, I was talking about the Scat Pack 392 Widebody (it looks identical to the Hellcat) and it currently starts at $43K with incentives.
Honda430 (10-09-2020)
Old 10-09-2020, 01:08 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 835 Likes on 519 Posts
Originally Posted by ESHBG
But could they suck less if the segment was better? I wonder sometimes (although a sedan can only be so practical so there's that aspect).

I bet this thing is priced very high, $60s for sure.
The current MDX starts at $45k and goes up to $60k. So for sure the new MDX once fully loaded will be over $60k. For base price though, I don't think they will move it much. I think it will be like the RDX and TLX all over again. They will try to keep the base price close to the current base price ($1-$2k), and then shift features to higher trims in an effort to get people to spend more.

While the MDX is their flagship, it's also their bread and butter and the best selling model. I don't think they want to risk losing a bunch of customers by suddenly making the base price super high.

Originally Posted by KeithL
I am about done with Acura. They half ass the Type-S and now show MDX with digital MID. WTF? Really getting disappointed in where they are going. Invent billions in a new platform and skimp on gauge cluster and option on the flagship sedan. Clearly sedans while sales dropping Acura takes a half hearted attempt to spur the sales. Clearly the MDX will be Acura's flagship vehicle.
I wouldn't be surprised if the digital MID will make its way to TLX and RDX when they get their facelift.

I'd imagine they might have a TLX Type S PMC edition with all the features from the advance.
Old 10-09-2020, 06:43 AM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Received 381 Likes on 235 Posts
I'd imagine the new MDX to start at just under $50k to start. Probably about $60k+ for the nicer examples. I'm hearing some real underground rumors that it's not going to be getting the same 2.0T powertrain as we were expecting. There's a "Power Meter" in one of the shots of the digital gauge cluster, so we very well could be looking at a hybrid standard or option. I was thinking a de-tuned 3.0T V6, but another person in the RDX forum brought up a possible N/A 3.0L hybrid. Entirely speculation at this point though.

And the "new" IS is on Lexus's website. Built one and those optional wheels that make it look so good are part of a $4k package. Oof. Hair over $50k to start, built the way I'd have it. I couldn't care less, as I have no interest in either the IS or the TLX in their current forms, but not a good sign if they come out with an IS 500. That will likely be right at or North of $60k with the IS 350 F-Sport already being over $50k without even having the upgraded audio system.

Oh, and I wish they brought back the non-wide body Charger Hellcat. It was just over $60k and was a crazy good deal. Now with the wide body it's over $72k to start. Sure, the Days of HP Deal ... or whatever ... brings it down to $65k, but still. It could be cheaper than the TLX Type-S with the deal, lol. And no, no Challenger. No more two-doors in my life.

Last edited by leomio85; 10-09-2020 at 06:46 AM.
Old 10-09-2020, 12:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts
You gotta pay to play. Who does not want to pay Honda+ while getting the perfect car that is BMW powertrain/Audi interior/Benz design/Genesis price?
Old 10-09-2020, 12:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 255 Posts
I suggest you at least visit their main website before-hand (even if only on your phone in parking-lot before going inside). Not surprising they would have a RS model inside on show-room floor. Those are very-very high-end tricked-out versions of their already high-end performance models. For example, a mid-trim S5 would be almost the same car (for $20k less). If you don't mind a smaller engine but like all the tech and creature-comforts ... an A5 Prestige might be more your speed.

Audi makes lots of different sedans (for all budgets) and sells them worldwide. Unlike Acura who makes 2-3.
Old 10-09-2020, 02:11 PM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by TVL65
The new TLX isn't selling, my dealer still has the same 2 A-specs on their lot from over 2 weeks ago.
Well I think it is still very new the dealers in chicago IL got them by the end of September and lot of people (enthusiast) wait to find out if there is any faults that Acura needs to fix. I know one thing yes price is little higher also most of us (Acura Enthusiast) are waiting for Acura TLX Type S which coming next year spring. Other than that the new shape is still very slick though.
Old 10-09-2020, 04:58 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Tesla1856
I suggest you at least visit their main website before-hand (even if only on your phone in parking-lot before going inside). Not surprising they would have a RS model inside on show-room floor. Those are very-very high-end tricked-out versions of their already high-end performance models. For example, a mid-trim S5 would be almost the same car (for $20k less). If you don't mind a smaller engine but like all the tech and creature-comforts ... an A5 Prestige might be more your speed.

Audi makes lots of different sedans (for all budgets) and sells them worldwide. Unlike Acura who makes 2-3.
He just purchased an new 2021 ASpec. He was making a statement about how much cars cost vs. he's interested in a version of the Sportback.
The following 2 users liked this post by Carnage719:
Honda430 (10-09-2020), Tony Pac (10-13-2020)
Old 10-09-2020, 05:07 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Originally Posted by leomio85
I'd imagine the new MDX to start at just under $50k to start. Probably about $60k+ for the nicer examples. I'm hearing some real underground rumors that it's not going to be getting the same 2.0T powertrain as we were expecting. There's a "Power Meter" in one of the shots of the digital gauge cluster, so we very well could be looking at a hybrid standard or option. I was thinking a de-tuned 3.0T V6, but another person in the RDX forum brought up a possible N/A 3.0L hybrid. Entirely speculation at this point though.

And the "new" IS is on Lexus's website. Built one and those optional wheels that make it look so good are part of a $4k package. Oof. Hair over $50k to start, built the way I'd have it. I couldn't care less, as I have no interest in either the IS or the TLX in their current forms, but not a good sign if they come out with an IS 500. That will likely be right at or North of $60k with the IS 350 F-Sport already being over $50k without even having the upgraded audio system.

Oh, and I wish they brought back the non-wide body Charger Hellcat. It was just over $60k and was a crazy good deal. Now with the wide body it's over $72k to start. Sure, the Days of HP Deal ... or whatever ... brings it down to $65k, but still. It could be cheaper than the TLX Type-S with the deal, lol. And no, no Challenger. No more two-doors in my life.
Yea with pretty much every MDX competitor having 2.0T as the base engine, it's looking very likely the new MDX will be the same too. But having a hybrid system would differentiate it a bit. The low end torque and instant electric motor response would help make the car feel lighter and faster though.

The IS is definitely not cheap, especially if they do make the IS500. Cars have gotten a lot more expensive in general. Having said that, I'd imagine one can get some decent discount on it.
Old 10-20-2020, 04:45 PM
Pro

Received 497 Likes on 243 Posts
the refreshed G70 coming through...

Old 10-20-2020, 05:58 PM
06 G35 6MT

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts
Looks terrible...
Old 10-20-2020, 06:13 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 562 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by dzionny_dzionassi
Haha, Since I already had MDX, and wanted to drive something sporty, practical when needed, but nothing flashy. I bought my self a wagon. It drives like a sports car, RWD platform with perfect weight distribution, awesome brakes, good handling and a hint of utility.
If Acura would make something Type S wagon for 50k, would buy it in a heart beat

Wagons rocks!!! LOL

A QX50 isn't a wagon lol. It's an SUV
Old 10-20-2020, 06:19 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by bilirubin
the refreshed G70 coming through...

I prefer the old grille, but it is loaded like the Type-S should be. I drove a sport G70 recently and liked it, a little small, but with the TLX growing everywhere except the interior the G70 will be on my short list next June when my lease expires. Unfortunately Genesis took the grille in a rather obnoxious luxury direction and makes the Sport model hard to loom really sporty. What I like about the G70 is I am not forced to get a Sport to get the twin turbo 365hp engine.
ESHBG (10-20-2020)
Old 10-20-2020, 09:24 PM
Racer

I prefer the old grille, but it is loaded like the Type-S should be. I drove a sport G70 recently and liked it, a little small, but with the TLX growing everywhere except the interior the G70 will be on my short list next June when my lease expires. Unfortunately Genesis took the grille in a rather obnoxious luxury direction and makes the Sport model hard to loom really sporty. What I like about the G70 is I am not forced to get a Sport to get the twin turbo 365hp engine.
The G70's front facia looks better than the G80 or G90, or the GV80. I find the G70 quite distinctive, and dare I say, attractive.
Old 10-20-2020, 11:52 PM

I like the overall lines of the new G70, but those headlights and tail lights just don't work IMO. It's crossed off the list. If they were wider/longer, they might be ok. They just look small and disproportionate to the rest of the car. I wouldn't buy a car I don't love looking at. The more I see the new TLX, the more I like it. Hopefully they do offer some incentives with the Type-S and its performance is respectable.
Old 10-21-2020, 12:23 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

C/D Tested the new BMW M440i xDrive. As tested price is $70k. It's not a sedan but the car is closely related to its sedan counterpart and the article has quite a lot of info in general about its handling:
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...y-the-numbers/

We all know the engine and transmission are world class. But it's quite interesting to read how the car drives.

The M440i xDrive's spectacular inline-six can't quite make up for the rest of the car.
what's most disappointing is that it's not as good to drive as we'd expect a sporty BMW coupe to be.
our test car placing a substantial 53.8 percent of that mass on its front wheels. Even with 19-inch Michelin Pilot Sport 4S summer tires, it managed only 0.91 g of skidpad grip, and understeer dominates.
The M440i's variable-ratio steering is short on tactility and has an almost rubbery buildup of force as you turn off-center. The rack's rather quick ratio only amplifies its artificial feel.

Old 10-21-2020, 07:32 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by leomio85
I like the overall lines of the new G70, but those headlights and tail lights just don't work IMO.
Compared to the discontinued RLX, I thought the 2018-20 TLX's headlights were too narrow for all the front-end styling. Functionally (when properly aimed), they illuminate just fine.
Old 10-21-2020, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by iforyou
C/D Tested the new BMW M440i xDrive. As tested price is $70k. It's not a sedan but the car is closely related to its sedan counterpart and the article has quite a lot of info in general about its handling:
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...y-the-numbers/

We all know the engine and transmission are world class. But it's quite interesting to read how the car drives.
Seems they're going more for a GT feel than all out sports coupe. I'm 100% fine with that for their more pedestrian models and hopefully they do that with the 3-series as well. Leave the track duties to the real M-cars. The pedestrian models should primarily be good street drivers. As the great James May has said, auto manufacturers vying to set good Nurburgring laptimes has ruined cars. From the looks of that article, the new 4-series is more comfortable than its predecessor while still being more than capable of out-handling the mass majority of people's skill level who will purchase it. I'm good with that.

Originally Posted by Carnage719
Compared to the discontinued RLX, I thought the 2018-20 TLX's headlights were too narrow for all the front-end styling. Functionally (when properly aimed), they illuminate just fine.
Oh, I don't disagree that they'll perform well. I'm just talking from a purely aesthetic standpoint. I guess I'll see how it looks in person, but they just seem to throw off the look of the whole car.
Old 10-21-2020, 08:01 PM
Pro

Received 537 Likes on 264 Posts
This grill is not doing it for me. Kind of ruins the car now....
Old 10-21-2020, 08:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Kense
A QX50 isn't a wagon lol. It's an SUV
Infiniti wants to think it is an SUV, but it is a wagon. It is basically stretched/lifted 370z and I have couple Z bolt-on "performance" parts installed
Old 10-21-2020, 09:49 PM
Safety Car

Infiniti wants to think it is an SUV, but it is a wagon. It is basically stretched/lifted 370z and I have couple Z bolt-on "performance" parts installed
By that logic, the RDX is also a wagon as it's dimensionally almost identical to the QX50.
Old 10-21-2020, 10:56 PM
Burning Brakes

By that logic, the RDX is also a wagon as it's dimensionally almost identical to the QX50.
I am talking platform wise. Nissan took its "performance" 370z/g37 platform stretch it, gave like 2 inch lift added doors and called it a day. Siluet is much more wagony compared to RDX
RDX on other hand is on its own SUV/CUV platform.
Old 10-21-2020, 11:04 PM
Safety Car

I am talking platform wise. Nissan took its "performance" 370z/g37 platform stretch it, gave like 2 inch lift added doors and called it a day. Siluet is much more wagony compared to RDX
RDX on other hand is on its own SUV/CUV platform.
Ok fine, by that logic then the CRV is a wagon because it's built on the same platform as the Civic and Accord and same powertrain. Or if you care about the silhouette too, then the Lexus NX is also a wagon because it's even lower than the QX50.

The QX50 is nowhere close to looking like a lifted wagon like the real lifted wagons, like the Crosstrek, Outback, V60/V90 Cross Country, A4/A6 Allroad, Alltrack, etc.
Old 10-22-2020, 01:07 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 562 Likes on 293 Posts
The Qx50 looks nothing like a wagon, it's a small SUV like the RDX, Velar etc
Old 11-09-2020, 10:09 AM
Drifting

Received 1,231 Likes on 890 Posts
Originally Posted by mapleloaf
The Koreans have a system that warns you if you have left a senior or a child in the back seat. Sounds cool.....practical and useful?
Judging by the amount of kids dying every year due to negligence (not to mention an underrated Apple TV+ series called "Servant"), I'd say this should be standard equipment on every car!

This will probably save dogs too, no?
Old 11-09-2020, 10:29 AM
06 G35 6MT

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts
I'm feeling petty af but sometimes you gotta call out these BS YTers!

Old 11-09-2020, 11:44 AM
Drifting

I've compared the 2.0 TLX against the GT-Line Stinger and they're both just a shade under 6 sec in the 0-60 (depending on which website you check). The main event will be the Type S against the Stinger GT/GT1/GT2. Edmunds posted 5 secs for the Stinger GT. Like you guys, I'll be watching closely this coming spring for final Type S numbers.
Old 11-20-2020, 12:56 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 52 Posts
Now that Acura is going all in with the true touch trackpad interface for all their cars, I am done with them, or not until touch interface becomes available. I tried the trackpad on few occasions, one time for an extended period (week+) and just could not do it. Pros to all who can adopt and enjoy it. In my opinion user interface is a big part of the car experience and they missed it for me at least and I don't think I can overcome this limitation which is shame cause we liked RDX and MDX looks like a nice SUV too.
Old 11-21-2020, 08:33 AM
Drifting

Found this excellent article comparing Acura's SH-AWD to other luxury manufacturers' implementations:

https://www.automoblog.net/2020/11/2...awd-explained/

Apparently Acura gives you torque vectoring standard whereas other companies force you to add as an option or upgrade to performance models (ie. AMG, etc.).

Quick Reply: 2021 Acura TLX vs The Competition