2021 Acura TLX vs The Competition

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2020, 04:24 PM
Racer

Received 97 Likes on 60 Posts
Personally the worst part of the new TLX is that radar sensor with the painted on logo. It's ridiculous how cheap that thing looks on a +$45K car. And Acura can't get a wheel design right these days either.
I think Genesis is killing it right now with their designs. A lot more modern with plenty of tech and luxury.
The following users liked this post:
KeithL (10-08-2020)
Old 10-07-2020, 04:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 708 Likes on 325 Posts
Originally Posted by FLYGUY31
Personally the worst part of the new TLX is that radar sensor with the painted on logo. It's ridiculous how cheap that thing looks on a +$45K car. And Acura can't get a wheel design right these days either.
I think Genesis is killing it right now with their designs. A lot more modern with plenty of tech and luxury.
Makes you wonder how much more it costs to design and build a better looking set of wheels. At retail, those 20” Vossen HF3 wheels are only about $650 each so they really can’t cost that much to a carmaker ordering them in volume.

I like these CV4 wheels too. If they made them with 7 spokes instead of 10 they’d be perfect.

Old 10-07-2020, 04:39 PM
Pro

Received 497 Likes on 243 Posts
Ironically, Genesis is probably the worst offender for conspicuous radar plates. And if you think it looks cheap on a $45k car, your head will explode when you see it on a $100k car...

Old 10-07-2020, 04:41 PM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Received 381 Likes on 235 Posts
.... but, the G70 literally does the exact same thing with their radar sensor.

I personally would prefer the saucer-sized Acura emblem like on the 3G RDX, but then people would complain about how large the Acura logo is. Agreed that they could have stuck them above the foglights to make them more incognito. I'm sure this was simply the cheapest and easiest way to do it.
The following 2 users liked this post by leomio85:
bilirubin (10-07-2020), SebringSilver (10-07-2020)
Old 10-07-2020, 05:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
"My honest opinion of the "metal" speaker covers? They feel so close to metal but more closer to plastic for some strange reason. I am not sure what it is. It felt cool to touch but when I tapped it, it felt like plastic. Not sure what they did there. -

There's no new safety tech except for that new passenger airbag system - and driver awareness (which was already on the Accords and other economy cars). The Germans offer better safety tech to keep you and the passengers safe. E.g. one of the basic safety features Audi offers is Audi Pre Sense, where it will close all windows in case of an accident. BMW offers a great parking assistant feature, that gives you a 3D view of your car from the outside allowing you to see everything around you. Mercedes does something similar to Audi but newer vehicles emit this pink noise during an accident which triggers your inner ear to protect your hearing from the pressure of the impact".
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________
Thank you for your excellent and candid review. Lots to think about. Just a few comments. The silver speakers are aluminum and the black ones are plastic.
I would suggest that the new generation Airbags are a significant step up in terms of safety tech. You mentioned the Audi Pre-sense system that closes windows automatically. Nice technology, but honestly most drivers drive with windows closed, so I would personally weight the better protection of a two stage airbag ahead of this. But yes the Germans do have somef different safety/convenience systems if you are willing to pay for them. I suppose at 140 mph on the autoban, you might want every system you can get. The Koreans have a system that warns you if you have left a senior or a child in the back seat. Sounds cool.....practical and useful?

Last edited by mapleloaf; 10-07-2020 at 05:55 PM.
Jiten Patel (10-08-2020)
Old 10-07-2020, 05:54 PM

So Honda doesn’t use claymore mines as airbags anymore? Shame.
Old 10-07-2020, 06:07 PM
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 53 Posts
$48,000+ sticker.
Old 10-07-2020, 06:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by SebringSilver
It’s amazing that Acura is no longer the purveyors of the worst front grill anymore. It’s like everyone’s trying to outdo each other with controversial front beaks. I really liked how BMW made their double kidneys flatter and wider over the years, which made them look like an old school Lancia rally car, but now that they’re squeezing them making them narrower and taller, it’s really going to take some getting used to.

I wish Acura took a page out of Audi’s playbook with the way they implement the front radars. The way it’s done on the A5 is really subtle. They’re round circles integrated into the front lower facia where normally you’d expect the fog lights to be. You don’t even notice them at all.

Need to take a look have not paid any attention to them

Might be these

Old 10-07-2020, 07:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Need to take a look have not paid any attention to them

Might be these
This photo might show it more clearly.

The part itself looks like this.

I believe the sensors highlighted in your picture are just the normal parking sensors.
Old 10-07-2020, 07:39 PM
Racer

Received 171 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by leomio85
People complain about how we don’t get wagons, but then nobody buys them
Same with manuals. So many complain there aren't any, but no one buys them.
Old 10-07-2020, 10:11 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
This photo might show it more clearly.

The part itself looks like this.

I believe the sensors highlighted in your picture are just the normal parking sensors.
Yeah could be just the parking units. I know the car has the braking feature but have never really looked for the transmitter/receiver. Was dark out will take a look in the morning.
Old 10-07-2020, 10:39 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 562 Likes on 293 Posts
I’ll never get the fascination with wagons. There is nothing good looking or cool about a wagon
BEAR-AvHistory (10-08-2020)
Old 10-07-2020, 10:42 PM
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts
If I needed ground clearance, just get a Volvo V60/V90 Cross country.
Old 10-07-2020, 10:44 PM
Instructor

Stinger is a turd against the G70 in my opinion.
Old 10-07-2020, 11:15 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,420 Likes on 1,871 Posts
Originally Posted by Kense
I’ll never get the fascination with wagons. There is nothing good looking or cool about a wagon

Get out.
Jiten Patel (10-08-2020)
Old 10-07-2020, 11:16 PM
Safety Car

My garage is only so big .
Old 10-08-2020, 12:26 AM
Instructor

Old 10-08-2020, 01:17 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 835 Likes on 519 Posts
Originally Posted by TLXinTX
It pains me to say this as a true Honda/Acura enthusiast, but I gave up on the new TLX after reading the lukewarm reviews. I sold my V6 TLX Tech after nearly 5 years of ownership and waited patiently for the 2G TLX release. Given the larger size, increased price, and infuriating touchpad of the new TLX, I ended up checking out the G70 and Stinger. The G70 was nice but too small.. and I fell in love with the Stinger. There is just enough room in the back to be comfortable, and the hatchback design offers plenty of trunk space. Most notably, the Stinger drives so much better than the 1G TLX: the steering and chassis have a true sports sedan direct feel, all while providing a quiet cabin while cruising. Plus, there is no gimmicky True Touch middleman between my finger and the screen: Carplay works exactly as one would expect it to from their phone.

I think Acura missed an expanding market for sedan-styled hatchbacks similar to the A5/S5, Gran Coupe, and Stinger.
Tbf, the Stinger and TLX are both over 190" long, and they both have nearly the same passenger volume of about 93-94cu.ft. In other words, both are huge on the outside but not so big. Both went for form over function (well, style over space efficiency). I think if one were to bash one car for being huge on the outside and small on the inside, then the other one can't really get away from it. It's a liftback though which is more preferable IMO.

Honestly the 1g TLX is a Honda+ product. It's not really exciting to drive, the interior is cheap, and it's plagued by the ZF 9AT. The reviews seems pretty darn positive for the 2g TLX though. About the only bad review is the straight pipes one. All the other reviews do list the flaws of the TLX - mainly low grip tires and small interior given the big exterior dimensions. The tranny seems to be splitting opinions - some like it, some don't. My experience is that, you gotta be in the right drive mode for it to be responsive. I also recently drove a new Mercedes, and its 7-DCT wasn't exactly stellar (slow to respond to WOT, abrupt shift from 1st to 2nd during WOT). Otherwise, pretty much all of the reviews are claiming how the TLX is way better than before, which admittedly isn't a high bar to reach. But the main thing is that almost all say that the car is legitimately fun to drive. I think that's the key part for a sports sedan. Having good numbers is great, but for day to day drive, I do think being engaging to drive is important. And that seems to be a real strength of the TLX.

Originally Posted by kurtatx
I expect Acura to do the same thing Audi does. They'll take their car and dump a giant engine in it. The problem is, the S4 is based on the A4, which is a great car. The Type S will be based on the TLX, which is...okay?
Hmmm the reviews do say the TLX has a very solid/stiff chassis and that it's very fun to drive. The A4 is more of a class leader in refinement, technology, and interior. But when it comes to dynamic, just like its exterior, it's more about being secure and elegant rather than exciting.

I personally would prefer the saucer-sized Acura emblem like on the 3G RDX, but then people would complain about how large the Acura logo is. Agreed that they could have stuck them above the foglights to make them more incognito. I'm sure this was simply the cheapest and easiest way to do it.
Same. I prefer the big @$$ logo instead of the clear plate.
Old 10-08-2020, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by fiatlux
My garage is only so big .
Trade the Porsche in for the RS6 Avant.

Ugh, so sexy. It's probably the only car that tops my list over the M5. But, when you see shit like this, it hurtles you back down to Earth and you realize you never want to be without a warranty with one of these beasts ...

Old 10-08-2020, 08:20 AM
Racer

Received 97 Likes on 60 Posts

The new GV80 SUV moves the plastic sensor to the bottom near the front spoiler which looks a lot better. Even in the above picture, the G70 looks better as the emblem isn't painted on it. I agree, an actual emblem would be better then the piece of plastic.
Old 10-08-2020, 09:28 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 533 Likes on 343 Posts
Originally Posted by Carnage719
Same with manuals. So many complain there aren't any, but no one buys them.
It's another chicken/egg discussion to me because most wagons in the U.S. nowadays are pretty expensive. If there were more to choose from and affordable options I do think that we would see a lot more.

To each their own but I think some are pretty cool looking and it's hard to beat the practicality.
leomio85 (10-08-2020)
Old 10-08-2020, 10:29 AM
06 G35 6MT

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

This doesn't look good to u?! And yea the practicality is like 10x better. Wagon S would be so dope!
The following 4 users liked this post by Vicious Type S:
04WDPSeDaN (10-08-2020), Jiten Patel (10-08-2020), pyrodan007 (10-08-2020), RamblerMDX (05-27-2021)
Old 10-08-2020, 10:54 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 361 Posts
^ This or sportback, I'll gladly take it. Or at least offer it and make consumers decide. This is the same brand that still doesn't want to bring the CDX over to America.
ESHBG (10-08-2020)
Old 10-08-2020, 10:57 AM
Safety Car

I think they do want to offer it, but the CDX as it currently stands is even less premium feeling than the ILX. I had a chance to ride in one in China...my god if the ILX is criticized for how it rides like the 9G Civic that it is, the CDX would get eviscerated for riding like the HRV that it is.
Old 10-08-2020, 11:03 AM
Burning Brakes

I think it would still do well if price is right and interior is not worse than a Honda. Then again, Acura doesn't try too hard on new products. Good point. On a side note, Lexus products are not super interesting in the lower spectrum too. As long as they are a bit better than mainstream versions.
Old 10-08-2020, 11:28 AM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by Vicious Type S

This doesn't look good to u?! And yea the practicality is like 10x better. Wagon S would be so dope!

WOW
Jiten Patel (10-08-2020)
Old 10-08-2020, 01:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

Well I guess the MDX is now officially competition, and looks like a better choice at that:

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-mdx-.../#post16641048

I am sticking by my theory that the TLX is a burner car that they will milk for whatever they can and then will eventually kill off.
Old 10-08-2020, 01:17 PM
Safety Car

It makes sense they would save the big guns for the MDX. Sedan sales suck right now, and the MDX is much more profitable for them.
Jiten Patel (10-08-2020)
Old 10-08-2020, 01:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Disappointed in Acura for not doing the right thing, TLX and MDX releases are fairly close to each other. I wonder how much more the MDX will cost now, interior seems decent.
Old 10-08-2020, 01:30 PM
Three Wheelin'

It makes sense they would save the big guns for the MDX. Sedan sales suck right now, and the MDX is much more profitable for them.
But could they suck less if the segment was better? I wonder sometimes (although a sedan can only be so practical so there's that aspect).

Originally Posted by pyrodan007
Disappointed in Acura for not doing the right thing, TLX and MDX releases are fairly close to each other. I wonder how much more the MDX will cost now, interior seems decent.
I bet this thing is priced very high, $60s for sure.
pyrodan007 (10-08-2020)
Old 10-08-2020, 01:31 PM
Three Wheelin'

I noticed the fully digital instrumentation on the MDX Concept. Did the Type S concept also have that and yet somehow failed to make it into production? The one on the MDX looked quite good, actually.
pyrodan007 (10-08-2020)
Old 10-08-2020, 02:36 PM
Instructor

Received 68 Likes on 47 Posts
I noticed the fully digital instrumentation on the MDX Concept. Did the Type S concept also have that and yet somehow failed to make it into production? The one on the MDX looked quite good, actually.
Sadly no evidence a digital MID was ever considered for the Type-S
Old 10-08-2020, 02:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Get out.
LOL Yeah, I just don't get the appeal. I already have an SUV. I have no use for a wagon and really do not like the look. I don't even like SUV's but I have two kids and it's pretty useful for long trips. I would NOT want my fun car to basically be a low to the ground SUV. I want a regular car.
Old 10-08-2020, 02:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Vicious Type S

It looks OK, I definitely wouldn't pick that over the regular Type S. The car version looks 1000 times better to me. It's a great looking car, making it longer and goofy looking is not what I want. Sport backs are as far as i'll go with wanting more space. I personally like compact sports sedans not gigantic ford flex type cars.
Old 10-08-2020, 02:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts
No, Type-S concept does not have interior. Yes the new MDX is awesome, many first for Acura. Unfortunately the digital instrument panel is tied with the new-gen infotainment plus ADAS system, so I guess the system is not ready to meet launch schedule. It will be interesting to see if RDX gets it at MMC and at how much a price bump.
Old 10-08-2020, 04:45 PM
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
i will make it easy:

2021 Acura TLX A Spec vs Cadillac CT5 Sport, which one is faster and better?

Originally Posted by CheeseyPoofs McNut
Let's use this thread as a place to discuss the new TLX as it relates to other cars in the segment (or related segments) - hopefully with constructive comments and research this may serve to assist people who are exploring the various options.

For starters:

Audi A4
BMW 330i
Merc C class
Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti
Genesis G70
Lexus IS
Infiniti Q50
Volvo S60
Cadillac CT4/5

Cheers!
The following 3 users liked this post by SamCarLegion:
CheeseyPoofs McNut (10-09-2020), iforyou (10-09-2020), sonyfever (10-08-2020)
Old 10-08-2020, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by ESHBG
It's another chicken/egg discussion to me because most wagons in the U.S. nowadays are pretty expensive. If there were more to choose from and affordable options I do think that we would see a lot more.
Agreed. And, to take the TLX Type-S as an example, you know if they ever came out with it (they won't, but let's imagine) there would be hefty mark-ups likely starting at $10k+ due to limited production numbers and marketing towards a niche market. Why would you spend near $70k just for a wagon when you could get something in a different stratosphere of performance at that price point?
ESHBG (10-08-2020)
Old 10-08-2020, 07:07 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by mcrompton
Sadly no evidence a digital MID was ever considered for the Type-S

I am about done with Acura. They half ass the Type-S and now show MDX with digital MID. WTF? Really getting disappointed in where they are going. Invent billions in a new platform and skimp on gauge cluster and option on the flagship sedan. Clearly sedans while sales dropping Acura takes a half hearted attempt to spur the sales. Clearly the MDX will be Acura's flagship vehicle.
The following 2 users liked this post by KeithL:
ESHBG (10-08-2020), silverTL6 (10-21-2020)
Old 10-08-2020, 07:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by KeithL
I am about done with Acura. They half ass the Type-S and now show MDX with digital MID. WTF? Really getting disappointed in where they are going. Invent billions in a new platform and skimp on gauge cluster and option on the flagship sedan. Clearly sedans while sales dropping Acura takes a half hearted attempt to spur the sales. Clearly the MDX will be Acura's flagship vehicle.
Correct, Acura has already confirmed that the MDX is now the flagship.
Old 10-08-2020, 07:28 PM
MSZ
Lola

Received 257 Likes on 150 Posts
Originally Posted by pyrodan007
MDX and all SUVs in general are a lot more profitable than sedans. Of course the MDX are going to get all the goodies regardless of being flagship or not.

Quick Reply: 2021 Acura TLX vs The Competition