Intermediate

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts
Looks like she matched her shoes to the interior
Old 03-14-2024, 03:49 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,619 Likes on 976 Posts
Originally Posted by PRP5150
Looks like she matched her shoes to the interior
Canadians are stylish! We are inspired by European culture. French influence is strong plus that beautiful car needs beautiful and stylish people to talk about it!
The following users liked this post:
PRP5150 (03-15-2024)
Old 03-15-2024, 10:26 AM
Racer

Received 226 Likes on 126 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony Pac
A very solid review by my Canadian folks. Short, precise, no BS, and marketing buzz words! Sincere review!
They're awesome. She's a class act. Zack's a lucky guy.
The following 2 users liked this post by Flapjackura:
MarcoTLX (03-16-2024), Tony Pac (03-16-2024)
Old 03-16-2024, 11:40 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by Flapjackura
They're awesome. She's a class act. Zack's a lucky guy.
Agreed! Best couple and love their honesty! Always on point.
Old 03-21-2024, 08:25 PM
AZ Community Team

2024 Acura TLX vs. 2024 Audi A4 Comparison
https://www.kbb.com/comparison/acura-tlx-vs-audi-a4/

Old 03-26-2024, 12:02 PM
AZ Community Team

2024 Acura TLX vs. 2024 BMW 3 Series Comparison

These comparisons are excellent for those who are in the market...it's not about which one is better but which vehicle fits your needs and budget
https://www.kbb.com/comparison/acura...-bmw-3-series/
cwatt79 (03-26-2024)
Old 03-27-2024, 01:49 PM
Air Vice Marshal

Received 300 Likes on 155 Posts
Good video but Acura never said this is going against M3 or C63. Our reviewer got it wrong I don't understand how some reviwers don't do their homework and come give public a review...calling the TYPE S Twin turbo, not the same as C63 or etc. Does he know the C63 is legit 2X more expensive than this???

That said, still an interesting and informative video!
I found it less interesting and informative. Since he apparently was driving an Acura with a 3.5 L twin turbo Type S, I can only imagine it was souped up version of my '07 Type-S someone gave a pair of turbos.

He went on about the different experience and his dislike for the touchpad, especially how it contrasted with Apply Carplay. First, the pad was certainly not on the list of reasons why I chose not to purchase a new Type-S when they were introduced. I wasn't troubled by it when I test drove it and am curious to hear how people who have been actually using one for a year or two feel about to. Second, Apple Carplay is a significant difference from my BMW's own system using the dial. I doubt many vehicles proprietary systems are very close to Carplay.

He also disliked the "numb" steering. Well, OK. BMW owners have been complaining about that for years. News flash people, steering feel effectively disappeared with all wheel / front wheel drive and electronic steering. The last car I had with what I considered good steering feel was a V12 Jaguar XJS. It's hard to get good feedback when the front tires are driven by half shafts.

And, as Tony pointed out, the type S isn't competing against an M3, or realistically probably not even against an M340 given the price difference for comparably equipped cars.
MarcoTLX (03-27-2024)
Old 03-28-2024, 09:20 AM
Racer

2024 Acura TLX vs. 2024 BMW 3 Series Comparison

These comparisons are excellent for those who are in the market...it's not about which one is better but which vehicle fits your needs and budget
https://www.kbb.com/comparison/acura...-bmw-3-series/
I've posted before regarding my disdain for track-pad bashers; especially those that spend too much time ranting and raving about them. To me, it's a sad reflection of how focused our culture has become on instant gratification. Yes, a touchscreen is the most intuitive UI. No learning curve. Touchpads have a learning curve. But, for anyone with a brain larger than a walnut, it's a SHORT learning curve. Bashing Lexus and Acura products mainly due to gripes about the infotainment interface being "difficult" is just an easy way for reviewers to find something to complain about. Too many reviewers not only gripe about the trackpad, they spend too much screen time doing so. Fine, comment that you wish it had a touchscreen, then MOVE ON, to a detailed discussion of the pros and cons over, I dunno, perhaps maybe something important like driving dynamics?? Alex on Autos does this very well, as an example: he mentions he doesn't like the trackpads - but he quickly moves on to far more important topics.

Last edited by Flapjackura; 03-28-2024 at 09:26 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by Flapjackura:
a35tl (03-29-2024), frainc (03-28-2024), JM2010 SH-AWD (03-28-2024), MarcoTLX (03-29-2024), obbshu (04-02-2024)
Old 03-28-2024, 10:26 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 599 Likes on 284 Posts
Originally Posted by vertigo2
Motor Trend does not think it's good enough: https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2...-drive-review/
Motor Trend and Car & Driver don't like any performance vehicle of any sort if it's not a manual. Lol
Old 03-28-2024, 11:15 AM
Safety Car

Received 3,442 Likes on 1,889 Posts
Originally Posted by Shadow2056
Motor Trend and Car & Driver don't like any performance vehicle of any sort if it's not a manual. Lol
Weird, I didn't realize cars like the RS3, Corvette, GT3, M3 Comp, etc. comes with a manual these days. Or are you being hyperbolic?
Old 03-28-2024, 01:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 599 Likes on 284 Posts
Originally Posted by fiatlux
Weird, I didn't realize cars like the RS3, Corvette, GT3, M3 Comp, etc. comes with a manual these days. Or are you being hyperbolic?
No. I remember when I used to read their articles and they kept saying things like "It would be better if it was manual". Lol. It's been a while.
Old 03-28-2024, 02:43 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Shadow2056
No. I remember when I used to read their articles and they kept saying things like "It would be better if it was manual". Lol. It's been a while.
I mean sure, most performance cars would be better with a manual, but it doesn't mean they don't like cars that are not. Trying to rationalize Motortrend not liking the TLX because they "don't like any performance vehicle of any sort if it's not a manual" seems like a big dose of copium
Shadow2056 (03-29-2024)
Old 03-31-2024, 11:13 AM
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Good Wall Street Journal review this weekend: https://www.wsj.com/lifestyle/cars/2...hare_permalink
The following 2 users liked this post by TLin05:
Legend2TL (03-31-2024), Tony Pac (04-02-2024)
Old 04-01-2024, 09:28 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,285 Likes on 2,643 Posts
^ fair and well balanced review.
Tony Pac (04-02-2024)
Old 04-02-2024, 04:58 PM
AZ Community Team

Acura TLX vs. Lexus ES: Compare Cars

This is a nice comparison and detailed info provided by the journalist!
https://www.thecarconnection.com/tip...s-compare-cars
Old 04-02-2024, 05:49 PM
Safety Car

I can't even tell if the writer even drove either of these cars. It's basically just a regurgitation of the spec sheet and brochure; there's hardly any commentary or insight... AI could write this. Is this what passes for auto journalism these days?

The fact that they concluded the ES and TLX are a draw when it comes to handling and performance suggests they didn't drive either cars.

The article is also already out of date; it claims the Lexus ES is safer because it was awarded an IIHS Top Safety Pick...except it has since lost that award given that it only received a Marginal score on the new front overlap test, and an Acceptable score on the new side impact test. At best it's equal to the TLX, but I'd bet dollars to donuts that the TLX will perform better than the ES once the IIHS finally puts it up against the new tests.

Last edited by fiatlux; 04-02-2024 at 05:55 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by fiatlux:
dj5 (04-03-2024), ELIN (04-02-2024), PRP5150 (04-02-2024)
Old 04-02-2024, 05:59 PM
Drifting

Received 1,272 Likes on 926 Posts
I can't even tell if the writer even drove either of these cars. It's basically just a regurgitation of the spec sheet and brochure; there's hardly any commentary or insight... AI could write this. Is this what passes for auto journalism these days?

The fact that they concluded the ES and TLX are a draw when it comes to handling and performance suggests they didn't drive either cars.

The article is also already out of date; it claims the Lexus ES is safer because it was awarded an IIHS Top Safety Pick...except it has since lost that award given that it only received a Marginal score on the new front overlap test, and an Acceptable score on the new side impact test. At best it's equal to the TLX, but I'd bet dollars to donuts that the TLX will perform better than the ES once the IIHS finally puts it up against the new tests.
An insightful review would have touched on the quality of the audio systems, the fact that the Type S is nearly as hamstrung as the ES when it comes to passthrough trunk storage, etc.

At least they got the "both cars are based on FWD platforms" right!
Old 04-02-2024, 06:08 PM
Safety Car

For shits and giggles, I had ChatGPT write me a review:

Prompt:
Can you write me an article comparing the Lexus ES with the Acura TLX? Make sure to include a section on prices and features, a section on performance and handling, a section on fuel economy, a section on space, cargo, and dimensions, a section on styling, and a section on safety. For each section, end with which car has the advantage in that category, and at the end explain which is the overall winner. Please incorporate the specs, features/options, and details, and give it a spiffy title.

The Ultimate Showdown: Lexus ES vs. Acura TLX - Luxury Sedan Battle Royale

Luxury sedan enthusiasts often find themselves torn between the elegance of Lexus and the spirited performance of Acura. In this comprehensive comparison, we dissect the Lexus ES and the Acura TLX, scrutinizing their specifications, features, performance, fuel economy, interior space, styling, and safety to determine which reigns supreme in the competitive luxury sedan market.

Prices and Features:
The Lexus ES offers a starting price ranging from $40,000 to $45,000, depending on the chosen trim level and optional features. Standard amenities include synthetic leather upholstery, dual-zone automatic climate control, an 8-inch infotainment display, Apple CarPlay, Android Auto, and the Lexus Safety System+ 2.0, featuring advanced driver assistance technologies like forward collision warning, automatic emergency braking, adaptive cruise control, lane departure warning, and lane-keeping assist.

The Acura TLX starts at a slightly lower price point, typically ranging from $38,000 to $43,000. Standard features encompass leatherette upholstery, dual-zone automatic climate control, a 10.2-inch infotainment display, Apple CarPlay, Android Auto, and the AcuraWatch suite of driver assistance features, including similar safety technologies to the Lexus.

Advantage: Tie

Performance and Handling:
The Lexus ES impresses with refined performance and a smooth ride. Equipped with either a 2.5-liter four-cylinder engine or a 3.5-liter V6, it delivers adequate power for daily driving but leans towards comfort over sportiness. Behind the wheel, the Lexus ES provides a serene driving experience, with a comfortable suspension that absorbs road imperfections effortlessly.

On the other hand, the Acura TLX offers a more engaging driving experience. Its turbocharged four-cylinder and potent V6 engines, paired with a 10-speed automatic transmission, deliver spirited acceleration and agile handling, making every drive exhilarating. The TLX boasts precise steering and responsive handling, ensuring confidence-inspiring performance on twisty roads and city streets.

Advantage: Acura TLX

Fuel Economy:
The Lexus ES 300h hybrid variant stands out for its exceptional fuel efficiency, achieving an EPA-estimated 43 mpg in the city and 44 mpg on the highway. This hybrid powertrain combines a 2.5-liter four-cylinder engine with an electric motor, delivering a total output of 215 horsepower while prioritizing fuel economy.

The Acura TLX, although lacking a hybrid option, maintains respectable fuel economy figures. The four-cylinder engine achieves an EPA-estimated 22 mpg in the city and 31 mpg on the highway, while the V6 engine returns approximately 20 mpg in the city and 29 mpg on the highway.

Advantage: Lexus ES (ES 300h hybrid)

Space, Cargo, and Dimensions:
In terms of interior space and passenger comfort, both the Lexus ES and the Acura TLX offer ample room for occupants. The Lexus ES provides 39.2 inches of rear legroom, ensuring a comfortable ride for passengers of all sizes. Trunk space is also commendable, offering approximately 16.7 cubic feet of cargo capacity.

The Acura TLX provides sufficient space for passengers in both the front and rear seats, although rear legroom measures slightly less at 34.9 inches. Trunk space is comparable to the Lexus, offering around 13.5 cubic feet of cargo capacity.

Advantage: Lexus ES

Styling:
Styling preferences vary, but both the Lexus ES and the Acura TLX boast distinct designs that cater to different tastes. The Lexus ES features a refined and elegant exterior design, characterized by sleek lines, a distinctive spindle grille, and LED headlights that contribute to its upscale appearance.

In contrast, the Acura TLX showcases a more aggressive and sporty aesthetic, with bold lines, a prominent diamond pentagon grille, and Jewel Eye LED headlights. With its athletic stance and dynamic proportions, the TLX commands attention on the road, appealing to buyers seeking a more daring and expressive look.

Safety:
Both the Lexus ES and the Acura TLX prioritize safety, offering a comprehensive suite of advanced driver assistance features as standard. These include forward collision warning, automatic emergency braking, adaptive cruise control, lane departure warning, and lane-keeping assist, among others. Both vehicles have earned top safety ratings from the IIHS and NHTSA.

Overall Winner:
In this detailed comparison, the Acura TLX holds the edge in performance and handling, offering a more dynamic driving experience. However, the Lexus ES excels in fuel economy and interior space, making it a compelling choice for buyers prioritizing efficiency and comfort. Ultimately, the decision between these two luxury sedans will depend on individual preferences and priorities, whether it's driving dynamics, fuel efficiency, or interior spaciousness.
The following 2 users liked this post by fiatlux:
DJ Iceman (04-04-2024), ELIN (04-02-2024)
Old 04-03-2024, 09:11 AM
Safety Car

Throttle House’s review is out:
The following 3 users liked this post by fiatlux:
ELIN (04-03-2024), MarcoTLX (04-03-2024), PRP5150 (04-03-2024)
Old 04-03-2024, 09:33 AM
Safety Car

Just watched it, and I think James hit the nail on the head

As a daily driver, it’s pretty great. Comfortable, well appointed, ELS is great, handling is great at 7/10ths driving, looks great, and it’s cheaper. But in terms of performance, it is at the lower end of the spectrum in its class, and Truetouch with Apple Carplay is infuriating to use. It’s not surprising enthusiasts would be a bit let down, and consider the TLX to be the “poser” of the class.

He said the car has some turbo lag, but I remember it actually being quite minimal. I think what he experienced was the throttle response being quite conservative in first gear; methinks Acura did this to protect the drivetrain; when you’re at low speed and you stomp on the accelerator, power initially builds up more slowly than in higher gears.

Last edited by fiatlux; 04-03-2024 at 09:38 AM.
MarcoTLX (04-03-2024)
Old 04-03-2024, 10:42 AM
Racer

Looks are subjective but the comparison picks the article uses make the Type S look way more appealing.
Old 04-03-2024, 11:16 AM
Drifting

Throttle House’s review is out:
https://youtu.be/XWpDDm0WhGE
Great review and the comedy is always on point!
MarcoTLX (04-03-2024)
Old 04-03-2024, 12:27 PM
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 20 Posts
As a daily driver, it’s pretty great. Comfortable, well appointed, ELS is great, handling is great at 7/10ths driving, looks great, and it’s cheaper. But in terms of performance, it is at the lower end of the spectrum in its class
I agree with all your points, and his sentence at the end of "recommending literally any other car in the class" accentuates the problem I had while shopping. It's an 8/10ths car at 8/10ths the price. Every review makes comparisons to something 5-10-15k more expensive. Do reviews of the BMW 340 talk about how the M3 is so much better and you should buy that instead? I think we'd all have just bought an M5 and called it a day if that was an option. Or maybe I'm the only one who didn't have a 20% tolerance in their budget. You get what you pay for. Shocking.
Old 04-03-2024, 12:31 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by rabbit73
I agree with all your points, and his sentence at the end of "recommending literally any other car in the class" accentuates the problem I had while shopping. It's an 8/10ths car at 8/10ths the price. Every review makes comparisons to something 5-10-15k more expensive. Do reviews of the BMW 340 talk about how the M3 is so much better and you should buy that instead? I think we'd all have just bought an M5 and called it a day if that was an option. Or maybe I'm the only one who didn't have a 20% tolerance in their budget. You get what you pay for. Shocking.
I think the main problem is that Acura marketing went way too far on the performance angle, going as far as to launch the car at Laguna Seca. They set expectations to be sky high, and sort of invited this (flawed) perception of the car being a top of class performance offering themselves.

What they should have done was emphasize this is a car that excels on the street and the fun factor. Frankly, I feel more confident pushing this car harder in the twisties than in some other cars that are better/faster on the track, and consequently it's more "fun" to drive on the street. I've said before that the SH-AWD system makes the car feels like a grown up Evo X MR, and I still believe that. If they had better represented what this car actually excels at, expectations would be better aligned.

This reminds me of the similar issue that the ILX had. Acura billed it as a premium/luxury offering (albeit entry level), and talked it up about how nice of a car it is to be in, but frankly it's one of the worst "premium" cars I've ever experienced if that's the barometer for which it should be measured. And consequntly, it ended up earning the title of being the car with the highest rate of buyer's remorse. The first few times I got it as a loaner, I hated it. However, if you look at it through the lens of what it actually is (a Civic Si with a DCT and leather seats and better sound system), it actually does a pretty good job of being what it really is: a slightly grown up Civic Si that's almost as fun to drive but a bit more livable. It was a heck of a lot more enjoyable to drive once I understood what it actually is rather than what Acura markets it to be. Same goes for the TLX Type S and even MDX Type S.

Last edited by fiatlux; 04-03-2024 at 12:43 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by fiatlux:
MarcoTLX (04-03-2024), obbshu (04-04-2024)
Old 04-03-2024, 12:49 PM
Drifting

This reminds me of the similar issue that the ILX had. Acura billed it as a premium/luxury offering (albeit entry level), and talked it up about how nice of a car it is to be in, but frankly it's one of the worst "premium" cars I've ever experienced if that's the barometer for which it should be measured. And consequntly, it ended up earning the title of being the car with the highest rate of buyer's remorse. The first few times I got it as a loaner, I hated it. However, if you look at it through the lens of what it actually is (a Civic Si with a DCT and leather seats and better sound system), it actually does a pretty good job of being what it really is: a slightly grown up Civic Si that's almost as fun to drive but a bit more livable. It was a heck of a lot more enjoyable to drive once I understood what it actually is rather than what Acura markets it to be. Same goes for the TLX Type S and even MDX Type S.
You used to have the current gen Integra (for a little bit anyway). Was it better than the ILX it replaced or more of the same?
Old 04-03-2024, 01:13 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ELIN
You used to have the current gen Integra (for a little bit anyway). Was it better than the ILX it replaced or more of the same?
Much better than the ILX. The ILX ride quality and NVH feels very bit like the 9G Civic that it's based on. Unrefined, course, loud, rough, and cheap. The chassis on the Integra (and 11G Civic) is substantially better. It feels much more solid, planted, expensive, etc. Interior is better too; the ILX looks cheap cheap cheap with the grey plastics all around the center console. The Integra, while looking very much like the 11G Civic interior, feels and looks leaps and bounds more premium. Is it as nice as the A3 or CLA? No, but it's also a lot cheaper, and a lot bigger. The only quibble I had is that in typical Honda fashion, there is still a lot of road noise. It's no quieter than a Civic (which isn't even well insulated by economy car standards), and that puts it last-in-class in that department. It's a shame, because that means the ELS sound system isn't as enjoyable when you're on the highway. Though that said, the ILX is even worse in that regard. Honest to god, if you blindfolded yourself and had someone drive you around in both a 9G Civic and ILX, you'd be hard pressed to tell which is which.

Last edited by fiatlux; 04-03-2024 at 01:18 PM.
ELIN (04-03-2024)
Old 04-04-2024, 09:24 AM
Racer

[QUOTE=fiatlux;16932723]Throttle House’s review is out:

He blew it toward the end by stating that the infotainment trackpad is a deal-killer for considering actually buying one. I've said it before and say it again - judging a vehicle purchase decision solely on the infotainment UI is moronic to me. Basically, he's saying "I really like the car as a daily driver for all kinds of good reasons; comfortable, planted, fun to drive, well appointed, etc...but would not buy one because I'm too lazy/stupid to figure out that horrible trackpad". Jeeesh.
The following 2 users liked this post by Flapjackura:
obbshu (04-05-2024), QuickStix26 (04-07-2024)
Old 04-04-2024, 09:30 AM
Drifting

He blew it toward the end by stating that the infotainment trackpad is a deal-killer for considering actually buying one. I've said it before and say it again - judging a vehicle purchase decision solely on the infotainment UI is moronic to me. Basically, he's saying "I really like the car as a daily driver for all kinds of good reasons; comfortable, planted, fun to drive, well appointed, etc...but would not buy one because I'm too lazy/stupid to figure out that horrible trackpad". Jeeesh.
I get that most journalists have given the trackpad much vitriol (whether deserved or not). Doesn't the fact that Acura rushed to incorporate something different w/the MDX refresh tell you something?!!!
Old 04-04-2024, 09:35 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by ELIN
I get that most journalists have given the trackpad much vitriol (whether deserved or not). Doesn't the fact that Acura rushed to incorporate something different w/the MDX refresh tell you something?!!!
Absolutely! And I'm sure they were also kind of frustrated to have to spend their limited time and money on "improving" something that wasn't broken in the first place to satisfy all the crybabies. Lexus has had to do the same thing in phasing out their trackpads.
Old 04-04-2024, 09:39 AM
Drifting

Absolutely! And I'm sure they were also kind of frustrated to have to spend their limited time and money on "improving" something that wasn't broken in the first place to satisfy all the crybabies. Lexus has had to do the same thing in phasing out their trackpads.
This is why different MBAs and different forecasters will always have jobs! Humans are fickle creatures!
Old 04-04-2024, 12:05 PM
Advanced

[QUOTE=Flapjackura;16932849]
He blew it toward the end by stating that the infotainment trackpad is a deal-killer for considering actually buying one. I've said it before and say it again - judging a vehicle purchase decision solely on the infotainment UI is moronic to me.
I see both sides of this. Reviewing any other trim it makes sense. It's focused on buyers who paid for a premium ride with sat nav, heated and cooled seats, adaptive cruise, and other stuff that should be standard on a mid level luxury sedan. The Type S should add a jump in performance and handling to the equation, but 90% of buyers will never opt for that trim. So the average person sees it as a negative, and it probably is looking at a 4 cyl with tech pkg. A guy like me bought the drivetrain with a lot of electronics wrapped around it and is willing to ignore it. He seemed to review it as a cost/benefit upgrade to the base trim. You get more if you pay more, but other cars offer even more if you pay even more.

For real though, putting a touch screen in the center stack where the silly push button transmission is should have been their first thought. Most cars have been laid out like that for over a decade. This is not an unfounded criticism.
Old 04-04-2024, 12:26 PM
Racer

[QUOTE=rabbit73;16932862]
I see both sides of this. Reviewing any other trim it makes sense. It's focused on buyers who paid for a premium ride with sat nav, heated and cooled seats, adaptive cruise, and other stuff that should be standard on a mid level luxury sedan. The Type S should add a jump in performance and handling to the equation, but 90% of buyers will never opt for that trim. So the average person sees it as a negative, and it probably is looking at a 4 cyl with tech pkg. A guy like me bought the drivetrain with a lot of electronics wrapped around it and is willing to ignore it. He seemed to review it as a cost/benefit upgrade to the base trim. You get more if you pay more, but other cars offer even more if you pay even more.

For real though, putting a touch screen in the center stack where the silly push button transmission is should have been their first thought. Most cars have been laid out like that for over a decade. This is not an unfounded criticism.
I agree that it's a legit criticism - I get that there are a large number of folks who dislike the trackpad, but, c'mon, making it a "deal killer"? Deal-killer criticisms should be stuff like the rear seats being too tight compared to the size of the car, or the turbo lag present in the Type S. Throttle House gripes about the turbo lag, but his actual deal killer is the f-ing trackpad?? That's ridiculous.
Old 04-04-2024, 01:03 PM
Advanced

I'd actually love it if he included a little epilogue to his statement about buying something else. Ok, dude. What? I'd love to see a justification that didn't either include spending significantly more money or eliminating features. Ventilated seats only seem to be included in some very expensive options packages on other models. That was a selling point for me, personally. I feel like a broken record, but I looked at literally every possible sedan option including electrics and there wasn't really a better combination of price/performance/features. I didn't shop for an Acura, or even Japanese. The Type S just ticked the most boxes.
The following 3 users liked this post by rabbit73:
cwatt79 (04-04-2024), JM2010 SH-AWD (04-05-2024), obbshu (04-05-2024)
Old 04-04-2024, 03:12 PM
Air Vice Marshal

I think the main problem is that Acura marketing went way too far on the performance angle, going as far as to launch the car at Laguna Seca. They set expectations to be sky high, and sort of invited this (flawed) perception of the car being a top of class performance offering themselves.

What they should have done was emphasize this is a car that excels on the street and the fun factor. Frankly, I feel more confident pushing this car harder in the twisties than in some other cars that are better/faster on the track, and consequently it's more "fun" to drive on the street. I've said before that the SH-AWD system makes the car feels like a grown up Evo X MR, and I still believe that. If they had better represented what this car actually excels at, expectations would be better aligned.

I agree 100%. When they launched the new Type-S they not only did it at a race track, but repeatedly compared it to BMW and Audi. They basically overhyped its performance while underplaying its strong points.
MarcoTLX (04-05-2024)
Old 04-04-2024, 03:51 PM
Air Vice Marshal

To get an M340ix with all the options required to have a quality sound system and the electronic gadgetry to match a Type-S you are looking as a $65K MSRP..
Back when I was a younger man I owned a Speed Shop, where I had a big sign over the counter: Speed Costs Money! How Fast Do You Want To Go?

Looking at it another way, the BMW is 14% more money. But if speed isn't everything in your life, the Type-S is a nice, beautiful, comfortable sports sedan with outstanding handling.
The following 2 users liked this post by mike03a3:
MarcoTLX (04-05-2024), obbshu (04-05-2024)
Old 04-04-2024, 05:17 PM
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts
Much better than the ILX. The ILX ride quality and NVH feels very bit like the 9G Civic that it's based on. Unrefined, course, loud, rough, and cheap. The chassis on the Integra (and 11G Civic) is substantially better. It feels much more solid, planted, expensive, etc. Interior is better too; the ILX looks cheap cheap cheap with the grey plastics all around the center console. The Integra, while looking very much like the 11G Civic interior, feels and looks leaps and bounds more premium. Is it as nice as the A3 or CLA? No, but it's also a lot cheaper, and a lot bigger. The only quibble I had is that in typical Honda fashion, there is still a lot of road noise. It's no quieter than a Civic (which isn't even well insulated by economy car standards), and that puts it last-in-class in that department. It's a shame, because that means the ELS sound system isn't as enjoyable when you're on the highway. Though that said, the ILX is even worse in that regard. Honest to god, if you blindfolded yourself and had someone drive you around in both a 9G Civic and ILX, you'd be hard pressed to tell which is which.
TBF they did clean up the ILX the last two MMC, to the point where the interior was competitive the Smart luxury 2023 intro with the hidden exhaust yes that was a joke but that was Acura's lost direction at the time. It was styled by Ikeda which was its only decent merit.
Old 04-04-2024, 05:24 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by MIKEYDRED
TBF they did clean up the ILX the last two MMC, to the point where the interior was competitive the Smart luxury 2023 intro with the hidden exhaust yes that was a joke but that was Acura's lost direction at the time. It was styled by Ikeda which was its only decent merit.
The cleaned up the exterior, but the interior remained the same. For instance, this is the shift console and HVAC controls. It feels worse than it even looks; the materials are hard scratchy plastic, and wouldln't look out of place on a rental spec Nissan.

Even a Hyundai Elantra of the same vintage has a nicer looking interior (minus the hideous steering wheel)
Old 04-05-2024, 12:05 PM
Drifting

Received 568 Likes on 367 Posts
Originally Posted by MIKEYDRED
We are Acura fans. A '90 Integra saved my wife's life when she was t-boned by a dump truck towing a back hoe. Two other cars were hit after the Integra took the first blow; there were serious injuries in the other two cars, one of which was a Volvo. So we have basic faith in the engineering and reliability of their cars.

I tried to like the ILX when it was around, and had a few as service loaners. The exterior styling was generally good, especially the latter years, drive trains (except the short-lived hybrid) were decent, and the seats on upper level models were comfortable and high quality. However, the basic interior styling -- dash, console, doors -- was far too down market for the niche. In contrast, when we first drove an Integra we were very impressed with interior layout, quality of materials, features, etc. and ordered our A Spec Tech pretty soon after the test drive. We continue to love the car which has a great combination of utility, comfort, fun to drive, and great mpg. For the price especially, we could not have done better, IMO.
The following 3 users liked this post by JM2010 SH-AWD:
a35tl (04-06-2024), DJ Iceman (04-05-2024), ESHBG (04-07-2024)
Old 04-06-2024, 10:25 AM
Pro

Received 542 Likes on 265 Posts
Originally Posted by mike03a3
I agree 100%. When they launched the new Type-S they not only did it at a race track, but repeatedly compared it to BMW and Audi. They basically overhyped its performance while underplaying its strong points.
It would make sense if they actually ran 3 Series, S4, IS500 and G70 on the same track, compare the times and then made a conclusion. Type S straight line performance is def WEAK but on the track it would probably smoke my S5, beat S4, G70 and would be close to IS500 as well all for a lot less $$$. 10-14% cheaper is not a minor difference. If you are about tuning and going nuts with power, skip Type S for sure and go German.
MarcoTLX (04-06-2024)
Old 04-06-2024, 02:07 PM
Adept Acura Enthusiast

Received 375 Likes on 249 Posts
Originally Posted by dmski
It would make sense if they actually ran 3 Series, S4, IS500 and G70 on the same track, compare the times and then made a conclusion. Type S straight line performance is def WEAK but on the track it would probably smoke my S5, beat S4, G70 and would be close to IS500 as well all for a lot less $$$. 10-14% cheaper is not a minor difference. If you are about tuning and going nuts with power, skip Type S for sure and go German.
I agree with this but I feel like the weight of the Type-S would hold it back on the track, after a good 2-3 hard laps the Type-S would start running out of steam in the brakes department, all the heavy weight transfer on steel brake discs with limited contact patch OEM brake pads, front brakes are cooked around the 3rd lap. No doubt the handling and AWD of the Type-S is pretty damn good compared to the cars Acura marketed it to compete against.

Just such a heavy car and I don't know exactly what Acura did to the TLX-S to the point its 4,000+ lbs

Quick Reply: 2021 Acura TLX Reviews **2024 TLX Reviews (starting page 70)**