0-60 & 1/4 mile times

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2020, 12:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 562 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony Pac
Happy you have one and you’re enjoying it. No disrespect to you.

But please check Infiniti sales number last year and this year. The Q50 should be selling like hot cakes. Infiniti gives you 400HP and almost $8K discount (Canada). For $60K Canadian, there is no car at that price with 400HP. Yet Infiniti sells less than 200 units a month. Almost the same goes in the US. So yes, doesn’t matter how good or fast the car is. I can tell you it doesnt sell. If a car doesn’t sell, to me it’s a failure.

Again, no disrespect to you or your choice.
It doesn’t sell because they don’t advertise at all. Not many people still even know a Red Sport exists outside enthusiasts. So it has nothing much more to do with anything other than the fact there has never been one Red Sport commercial ever.

In regards to the other post the Steer by wire is an option you don’t have to get and BMW also has that yet nobody complains. It’s an excuse. You can get a Performance exhaust if you don’t like the perforated one. Again people aren’t buying the car because Nissan was run by a criminal moron that didn’t know what he was doing.
Old 09-05-2020, 12:54 PM
Black

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by pyrodan007
A heavier car is still a heavier car, AWD usually makes things slower and not really more efficient. Even with tuning, engine is not getting more power and transmission is the same. The best it can do is maybe 5.9 but no way it'll be below 5.5.
"More power makes you faster in the straights.
Lower weight makes you faster everywhere."
Old 09-05-2020, 12:59 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,429 Likes on 1,879 Posts
Originally Posted by lowgrowl
Let's all think positively.
I'm going to quote myself:

Originally Posted by fiatlux
[Negativity] is what happens when you hype things up but let reveals and launches drag on, all with too much secrecy and too little details, and especially when you don’t have the track record lately to back up the hype. Consider it a defense mechanism after the last batch of stinkers; take a bearish mentality, and you’re less likely to be disappointed by the final product.
You can go on pumping the sunshine and drinking the koolaid, that's your prerogative, but as folks who have been following Acura for a while have learned over the past decade, you do so at your own risk. I still hope Acura can recapture some of the magic from the 90s and 2000s, but until they prove that the 2010s was just an aberration and not the new normal, I'm not giving them the benefit of the doubt just yet.

Last edited by fiatlux; 09-05-2020 at 01:02 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by fiatlux:
04WDPSeDaN (09-06-2020), BEAR-AvHistory (09-06-2020), blakura (09-06-2020), justnspace (09-05-2020), silverTL6 (09-08-2020)
Old 09-05-2020, 01:00 PM
Pro

Received 542 Likes on 265 Posts
Originally Posted by Kense
It doesn’t sell because they don’t advertise at all. Not many people still even know a Red Sport exists outside enthusiasts. So it has nothing much more to do with anything other than the fact there has never been one Red Sport commercial ever.

In regards to the other post the Steer by wire is an option you don’t have to get and BMW also has that yet nobody complains. It’s an excuse. You can get a Performance exhaust if you don’t like the perforated one. Again people aren’t buying the car because Nissan was run by a criminal moron that didn’t know what he was doing.
Wrong. It's not selling for a number of reasons. Car is dated with a terrible infotainment and crappy driving dynamics. I test drove Red Sport without drive by wire and the steering was still crap.

Red Sport came out during a mid refresh cycle. Another reason why it got lost in the shuffle. By that time, all the hype on new model was over and no one really cared. Plus Infiniti has just lost steam with all their models now and barely generate any traffic at their dealerships. Old stale product is to blame. I just don't see stand alone dealers lasting for too long in North America if this keeps up. Brand is already dead in Europe and Australia.
The following 4 users liked this post by dmski:
bilirubin (09-05-2020), blakura (09-06-2020), F23A4 (09-05-2020), Ludepower (09-06-2020)
Old 09-05-2020, 01:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 255 Posts

Infiniti Q50 looks nice. We liked our Maxima. Something like 2021 Q50 Sensory AWD V6 3.0T 300hp is more my speed (and price).

I like how the trim packages build on each other (similar to Acura and Audi ). They should have a full feature matrix chart of the models (ie, easy to see which models, if any, have folding mirrors for example).
Looks a little lite on the Advanced AI tech (like Traffic-Jam-Assist).
AWD looks the be "forum approved" since it runs RWD-0/100 and up to AWD-50/50 .
Fuel Economy is fairly comical, but you are not buying this car to save on gas.

Never saw if transmission was CVT or not. Interesting they discontinued the Hybrid when most others are moving to PHEV.
Sounds like this sedan's basic architecture is a bit dated if 2013 is reference (but if 2016, that's not too bad).

Last edited by Tesla1856; 09-05-2020 at 01:36 PM.
Old 09-05-2020, 10:38 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,598 Likes on 961 Posts

Not 100% true brother! Those who spend $50-$60K know very well the Q50 Red exist. The reason it Doesn’t sell in my humble opinion is:

Extremely outdated interior
Fit and finish are poor
Doesn’t offer anything to separate it it from a basic Q50, except a S badge
Infiniti doesn’t have the brand prestige
Dealers are shutting down and Nissan’s COO go and say Infiniti will be Nissan Plus. What do we expect? People spend $60K for Nissan Plus. Competition is crazy.

Just look at this forum, Acura TLX with a brand new engine, beautiful design, and decent power (type S) is getting criticized lol! Do you think people will buy Q50 and ignore all the flaws?

could be more reasons but these come to mind right now.

Last edited by Tony Pac; 09-05-2020 at 10:43 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Tony Pac:
a35tl (09-06-2020), blakura (09-06-2020), F23A4 (09-05-2020), Ludepower (09-06-2020)
Old 09-06-2020, 01:38 AM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Received 381 Likes on 235 Posts
Not 100% true brother! Those who spend $50-$60K know very well the Q50 Red exist. The reason it Doesn’t sell in my humble opinion is:

Extremely outdated interior
Fit and finish are poor
Doesn’t offer anything to separate it it from a basic Q50, except a S badge
Infiniti doesn’t have the brand prestige
Dealers are shutting down and Nissan’s COO go and say Infiniti will be Nissan Plus. What do we expect? People spend $60K for Nissan Plus. Competition is crazy.

Just look at this forum, Acura TLX with a brand new engine, beautiful design, and decent power (type S) is getting criticized lol! Do you think people will buy Q50 and ignore all the flaws?
1. Interior is much better than the 2G
2. Fit and Finish isn't going to be its strong suit. Acura built in OH ... it's poop.
3. TLX-S will have subtle design changes to distinguish it from the non-Type S. Slightly more than the Red Sport, but not much.
4. Acura doesn't have brand prestige either.
5. Acura is viewed by many as simply being Honda Plus to begin with. Many go for Acura because of Honda's reputation of reliability, not because it's a prestigious brand or do luxury particularly well.

Type S makes noticeably less power than the Red Sport and hopefully won't make the mistake of starting it in the mid-$50k range (with how things are going, it probably will). Q50RS is a gorgeous car IMO, it's just been hampered by Nissan's failing reputation.

By your logic, the Type S won't sell very well either.

I think the main thing is that not many people are willing to spend nearly $60k+ on a Japanese brand. Even Lexus's products struggle at the higher end. When looking at performance and luxury for the dollar, the Type S isn't going to be the bargain that people are looking for from a Japanese luxury brand. Then again, I highly doubt Honda/Acura are expecting the Type S to be more than a very low volume seller. Just my 2 cents.
The following 2 users liked this post by leomio85:
blakura (09-06-2020), silverTL6 (09-08-2020)
Old 09-06-2020, 08:01 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by leomio85
2. Fit and Finish isn't going to be its strong suit. Acura built in OH ... it's poop.
3. TLX-S will have subtle design changes to distinguish it from the non-Type S. Slightly more than the Red Sport, but not much.
5. Acura is viewed by many as simply being Honda Plus to begin with. Many go for Acura because of Honda's reputation of reliability, not because it's a prestigious brand or do luxury particularly well.

Type S makes noticeably less power than the Red Sport and hopefully won't make the mistake of starting it in the mid-$50k range (with how things are going, it probably will). Q50RS is a gorgeous car IMO, it's just been hampered by Nissan's failing reputation.

I think the main thing is that not many people are willing to spend nearly $60k+ on a Japanese brand. Even Lexus's products struggle at the higher end. When looking at performance and luxury for the dollar, the Type S isn't going to be the bargain that people are looking for from a Japanese luxury brand. Then again, I highly doubt Honda/Acura are expecting the Type S to be more than a very low volume seller. Just my 2 cents.
Yes, current TLX has it's flaws no doubt but comparing Red Sport agains it is not going to sell any more units for Infiniti. Current Q50 is just dated and old. If you are asking $60K customers just turn to Germans. In order to move the very few units now, Infiniti rebates the hell out of this car. Will the Type S be a success??? That remains to be seen as well. People will vote with their wallets just as always.
The following users liked this post:
Tony Pac (09-06-2020)
Old 09-06-2020, 09:04 AM
AZ Community Team

You made at least 5 assumptions without even seeing the new TLX and driving it. Let’s talk later as right now, you’re points aren’t valid to me. We will see the sales numbers in 6-12 months then review your points.

At the current moment, we know Acura sells at least 20-30% more car in the US and over 40% in Canada. If you have any numbers to argue that, please share with all of us. May be Infiniti sales numbers are not accurately published 😜

Old 09-06-2020, 10:53 AM

You made at least 5 assumptions without even seeing the new TLX and driving it. Let’s talk later as right now, you’re points aren’t valid to me. We will see the sales numbers in 6-12 months then review your points.

At the current moment, we know Acura sells at least 20-30% more car in the US and over 40% in Canada. If you have any numbers to argue that, please share with all of us. May be Infiniti sales numbers are not accurately published 😜
The only assumption I made was #2. They were in reply to your own responses as to why you speculate the Q50RS doesn't sell.

The reason Infiniti is failing is because Nissan is failing. People still largely associate Japanese luxury brands with their non-luxury counterparts. Acura is the same with Honda. Lexus has done a much better job of separating itself from Toyota, but even today, many reviews compare Lexus to its Toyota model. Acura may outsell Infiniti, but it has seen declining US sales since 2005 (with some ebbs and flows).
silverTL6 (09-08-2020)
Old 09-06-2020, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by dmski
Yes, current TLX has it's flaws no doubt but comparing Red Sport agains it is not going to sell any more units for Infiniti. Current Q50 is just dated and old. If you are asking $60K customers just turn to Germans.
Exactly. Acura is going to be dangerously close to that. With mark-up and TTL, you'll likely eclipse the $60k mark. Most people won't stop laughing at that price for a midsized Acura sedan until they arrive at the local BMW/MB/Audi dealership in town.
Barbecue Tech Tips (09-06-2020)
Old 09-06-2020, 06:59 PM
AZ Community Team

The only assumption I made was #2. They were in reply to your own responses as to why you speculate the Q50RS doesn't sell.

The reason Infiniti is failing is because Nissan is failing. People still largely associate Japanese luxury brands with their non-luxury counterparts. Acura is the same with Honda. Lexus has done a much better job of separating itself from Toyota, but even today, many reviews compare Lexus to its Toyota model. Acura may outsell Infiniti, but it has seen declining US sales since 2005 (with some ebbs and flows).
i don’t disagree with you. Nissan screwed up and as a result Infiniti started failing. Don’t get me wrong, Acura isn’t any great. But Acura was able to maintain their sales post the highest decline of 2008. And now with new RDX, TLX and MDX. We can clearly see they are heading the right direction.

Honestly Lexus is the only Japanese luxury brand that really stepped up their game. Anyway; let’s see what the new TLX and MDX bring on the table. We will know after 6-12 months. Too early to judge.
Old 09-06-2020, 07:50 PM
Pro

i don’t disagree with you. Nissan screwed up and as a result Infiniti started failing. Don’t get me wrong, Acura isn’t any great. But Acura was able to maintain their sales post the highest decline of 2008. And now with new RDX, TLX and MDX. We can clearly see they are heading the right direction.

Honestly Lexus is the only Japanese luxury brand that really stepped up their game. Anyway; let’s see what the new TLX and MDX bring on the table. We will know after 6-12 months. Too early to judge.
Really? IS is a total failure and they're just refreshing it instead of building a proper sedan. GS was just axed and LX is barely selling, same for RC. The Germans drive in circle around their F cars. The only thing that's actually moving some sales numbers is their fancy FWD Avalon aka Lexus ES and RX is a major success.
Old 09-07-2020, 07:15 AM
Pro

Received 499 Likes on 244 Posts
Originally Posted by lowgrowl
I've driven the 2.0 accord and it's fast. I've read mid fives but that's good to hear. The Audi A4 & S4 perform very well.. And is it my humble opinion ( and hope) that the TLX base and Type S will be very close to their numbers. Let's all think positively.
Ok, thinking as positively as possible, a FWD 2.0T Base-spec (which is much lighter at 3709 lbs) might crack 5.6s. Losing the SH-AWD saves over 200lbs, and reduces drive-train loses. But even with those advantages, it's still 400lbs heavier than an Accord, and 100lbs heavier than a FWD G1 TLX V6 and TSX V6.
Old 09-07-2020, 08:47 AM
AZ Community Team

Really? IS is a total failure and they're just refreshing it instead of building a proper sedan. GS was just axed and LX is barely selling, same for RC. The Germans drive in circle around their F cars. The only thing that's actually moving some sales numbers is their fancy FWD Avalon aka Lexus ES and RX is a major success.
in terms of their lineup Lexus isn’t going well. Totally with you. But I meant Lexus has established a better brand name worldwide. Lexus is very popular in Asia, especially Middle East, Australia and even Europe.

if we look at their current lineup, they got RX, NX and ES.
justnspace (09-07-2020)
Old 09-07-2020, 08:49 AM

Received 16,263 Likes on 11,973 Posts
Lexus even makes bespoke yachts!!! (for worldwide customers) at the tune of $3.7 mil
Old 09-07-2020, 08:58 AM

Received 16,263 Likes on 11,973 Posts
Honda produces a jet for worldwide customers but that's associated with Honda.
Acura is mainly a north american division of Honda.

ahhh, so we see where Honda has gone wrong. Toyota has built the Lexus brand into a worldwide brand, while Honda is geographically limited to the North America's with it's Acura brand
Old 09-07-2020, 09:40 AM
®

Received 473 Likes on 224 Posts
with all respect to you, please don’t even bring Q50 in this forum lol.

Infiniti also gives a 400HP with an amazing price and still no one buys it. It doesn’t matter what Infiniti does at this moment, it’s irrelevant. The company is shutting down dealers across the world.
It's not the car(s). They're great. Infiniti dealership experience is why the brand is failing. Before I got my 2.0T 6MT Accord, I shopped Infiniti as well. Dealerships are so bad that I crossed it off due to that, not the car. They're sleazy, high pressure, deceitful and manipulating. I never want to step foot in there ever again. And no, it wasn't just one dealer. I had same experience at Toyota, Genesis and VW. Honda dealers were the most laid back, mostly honest and near zero pressure. And the only ones who actually didn't mind negotiating over email, even on trade values. Not everything comes down to fractions of a second to 0-60. That is a novelty that wears off after a month.
Old 09-07-2020, 10:32 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by SRB-TL
It's not the car(s). They're great. Infiniti dealership experience is why the brand is failing. Before I got my 2.0T 6MT Accord, I shopped Infiniti as well. Dealerships are so bad that I crossed it off due to that, not the car. They're sleazy, high pressure, deceitful and manipulating. I never want to step foot in there ever again. And no, it wasn't just one dealer. I had same experience at Toyota, Genesis and VW. Honda dealers were the most laid back, mostly honest and near zero pressure. And the only ones who actually didn't mind negotiating over email, even on trade values. Not everything comes down to fractions of a second to 0-60. That is a novelty that wears off after a month.
Actually I have heard that a few times. My brother was shopping for a car 3 years ago, he told me the same story. He said the guy was pushing him and forcing him to sign now. He sales guy was extremely pushy and desperate to make a sale.

Recently my colleague went for service and he legit told me never again. It makes sense.
Old 09-07-2020, 07:40 PM
Pro

Actually I have heard that a few times. My brother was shopping for a car 3 years ago, he told me the same story. He said the guy was pushing him and forcing him to sign now. He sales guy was extremely pushy and desperate to make a sale.

Recently my colleague went for service and he legit told me never again. It makes sense.
Yes, I agree. When I inquired about a Red Sport the sales guy was requesting my credit card details before we even spoke about numbers. It just reeked desperation. When I questioned him about it, he told me he needs to hold the car for me now by taking a deposit. They had several models sitting in stock which they couldn't move for months but he needs a deposit to hold the car for me incase they sell out. Just pathetic.
Old 09-07-2020, 08:54 PM
AZ Community Team

Yes, I agree. When I inquired about a Red Sport the sales guy was requesting my credit card details before we even spoke about numbers. It just reeked desperation. When I questioned him about it, he told me he needs to hold the car for me now by taking a deposit. They had several models sitting in stock which they couldn't move for months but he needs a deposit to hold the car for me incase they sell out. Just pathetic.
hahhaa! I was telling my brother this story today, and he was laughing and said he has never seen a desperate sales guy in his life. The guy apparently was telling him if he doesn’t sign now, the price will change and he will lose the discount as his manager allowed him the discount for the next 15 min 🤣🤣🤣
Old 09-07-2020, 10:09 PM
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 53 Posts
Accord 2.0T 10AT can easily get to 60 in 5.5 and with decent tires, close to flat 5. As someone mentioned, C&D officially got it to 60 in 5.3.

There's no scenario where TLX 2.0T will get below 6 seconds with that much weight. Just not going to happen, even with SH-AWD. TLX FWD is 750 lbs heavier than the Accord, SH-AWD is nearly a thousand lbs. That's like having 3 grown men in the Accord (in addition to the driver of course).

Science.
So basically the new TLX will be slower than the current 1G TLX V6?? Both slower to 60 and passing??
Old 09-07-2020, 10:10 PM
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 53 Posts
Accord 2.0T 10AT can easily get to 60 in 5.5 and with decent tires, close to flat 5. As someone mentioned, C&D officially got it to 60 in 5.3.

There's no scenario where TLX 2.0T will get below 6 seconds with that much weight. Just not going to happen, even with SH-AWD. TLX FWD is 750 lbs heavier than the Accord, SH-AWD is nearly a thousand lbs. That's like having 3 grown men in the Accord (in addition to the driver of course).

Science.
So basically the new TLX will be slower than the current 1G TLX V6?? Both slower to 60 and passing??
Old 09-08-2020, 01:04 AM
Null and proud of it

Received 899 Likes on 789 Posts
Why would it matter how the SH-AWD system is tuned? Unless this is a high horsepower monster that’s traction limited, it’s not going to make one iota of difference. You’re just grasping at straws here. This has the same engine and transmission as the RDX and the same exact power numbers, and practically the same weight. What makes you think that it won’t perform similarly? Just because it’s a sedan? Physics does not care what the shape of the car is for 0-60 runs. Power, gearing, and mass is what matters.

Only thing I can consider is drag coefficient, and that doesn't really matter until you're going 60+, in reality.
Old 09-08-2020, 06:35 AM
Pro

Received 499 Likes on 244 Posts
Originally Posted by AcuraGuy2016
In SH-AWD 2.0T form, yes the new TLX is most likely slower than the G1 V6. But the new FWD model could match it, or even beat it by a hair.

At 4028-lbs, the 2.0T TLX SH-AWD Advance will likely have trouble keeping up with a Honda Odyssey, let alone an Accord. An Odyssey has a 5-60 time of 6.7s, which is 0.3s faster than the 4020-lbs RDX SH-AWD A-spec.

Last edited by bilirubin; 09-08-2020 at 06:49 AM.
Old 09-08-2020, 08:56 AM
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by bilirubin
In SH-AWD 2.0T form, yes the new TLX is most likely slower than the G1 V6. But the new FWD model could match it, or even beat it by a hair.

At 4028-lbs, the 2.0T TLX SH-AWD Advance will likely have trouble keeping up with a Honda Odyssey, let alone an Accord. An Odyssey has a 5-60 time of 6.7s, which is 0.3s faster than the 4020-lbs RDX SH-AWD A-spec.
Nice slap in the face to people who currently have the V6. Basically forcing people to have to buy a type S, which won’t happen.
Old 09-08-2020, 09:05 AM
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 18 Posts
I'm not looking for something but can keep up with a BMW m340i, but it would be nice to have a four-door, daily driver, family sedan that is well appointed and still can hustle off the line. Those options exist, and those options even exist for around $50,000. I don't see how the Type-S really does any significant sales unless they find a way to tune the engine and get it to do something at least close to the Kia stinger.
Old 09-08-2020, 01:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Wrong. It's not selling for a number of reasons. Car is dated with a terrible infotainment and crappy driving dynamics. I test drove Red Sport without drive by wire and the steering was still crap.

Red Sport came out during a mid refresh cycle. Another reason why it got lost in the shuffle. By that time, all the hype on new model was over and no one really cared. Plus Infiniti has just lost steam with all their models now and barely generate any traffic at their dealerships. Old stale product is to blame. I just don't see stand alone dealers lasting for too long in North America if this keeps up. Brand is already dead in Europe and Australia.
It's not wrong, there is no advertising for the car period. I've been asked several times about my car from people who had no idea about it. Including friends who are car enthusiast but don't care about Japanese cars. The steering isn't "crap' that's your opinion not shared by many who have spent time with the car. The car has Apple Car Play and Android Auto. What else are you expecting out of infotainment? I don't care how the screens look and they look better than a glued on Ipad, I care about how the car drives.

Again the car is failing because Nissan is failing and they have no Advertising division worth a damn.
Old 09-08-2020, 02:37 PM
AZ Community Team

It's not wrong, there is no advertising for the car period. I've been asked several times about my car from people who had no idea about it. Including friends who are car enthusiast but don't care about Japanese cars. The steering isn't "crap' that's your opinion not shared by many who have spent time with the car. The car has Apple Car Play and Android Auto. What else are you expecting out of infotainment? I don't care how the screens look and they look better than a glued on Ipad, I care about how the car drives.

Again the car is failing because Nissan is failing and they have no Advertising division worth a damn.
Kense - I don't think anyone wants to insult your car.

Infiniti used to be a great brand when they came up with G series. But honestly, it's nothing to do with advertising. Infiniti is just a meh brand now and they aren't giving any vehicle that's exciting. There is no news about infiniti in the media at all. Just to give you another example, Infiniti did crazy promotions for QX50 and are giving insane incentives ( I am sure you're aware of it), yet the car failed miserably. Why? the QX50 is in one of the best segments right now in NA. But the car is selling less than the previous generation. It's a shame.

Yes, Nissan screwed up Infiniti. There is no doubt about it. But sales number don't like. check Infiniti's sales number for 2019 and now. Declining!
Old 09-08-2020, 03:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Kense - I don't think anyone wants to insult your car.

Infiniti used to be a great brand when they came up with G series. But honestly, it's nothing to do with advertising. Infiniti is just a meh brand now and they aren't giving any vehicle that's exciting. There is no news about infiniti in the media at all. Just to give you another example, Infiniti did crazy promotions for QX50 and are giving insane incentives ( I am sure you're aware of it), yet the car failed miserably. Why? the QX50 is in one of the best segments right now in NA. But the car is selling less than the previous generation. It's a shame.

Yes, Nissan screwed up Infiniti. There is no doubt about it. But sales number don't like. check Infiniti's sales number for 2019 and now. Declining!
I'm not insulted, I just don't like misinformation. My lease is about to be up and I'm getting a BMW anyways. The QX50 is a total failure because they added a CVT transmission. Nobody wants that disaster of a tranny in their car. The FX35 was a classic Crossover that people loved and it sold well. Infiniti was destroyed when they brought in bad leadership like Johan de Nyssche then Carlos Ghosn (Spelling). They scrapped the Eau Rouge concept, scraped the Black S, changed the Name from G to Q confusing people. They totally messed up the brand. There is no information about infiniti because they don't spend money advertising. Just a series of horrible moves by Nissan/Infiniti.

Last edited by Kense; 09-08-2020 at 04:05 PM.
Old 09-08-2020, 04:07 PM
Safety Car

I'm not insulted, I just don't like misinformation. My lease is about to be up and I'm getting a BMW anyways. The QX50 is a total failure because they added a CVT transmission. Nobody wants that disaster of a tranny in their car. The FX35 was a classic Crossover that people loved and it sold well. Infiniti was destroyed when they brought in bad leadership like Johan de Nyssche then Carlos Ghosn (Spelling). They scrapped the Eau Rouge concept, scraped the Black S, changed the Name from G to Q confusing people. They totally messed up the brand. There is no information about infiniti because they don't spend money advertising. Just a series of horrible moves by Nissan/Infinit.
It might be targeted, but up until recently Infiniti did a ton of advertising during NBA games. They even had endorsement deals with Steph Curry to star in some of the commercials, and that stupid VC Turbo commercial was seemingly on repeat during every commercial break.

Not that it mattered, because the CVT paired with the VC Turbo was just one (or two or three) too many variable things going on at once. I test drove it to do my due diligence, and came away wondering if whoever greenlit that car into production wasn't on crack at the time.
Old 09-08-2020, 06:23 PM
Pro

No amount of advertising was going to or would make the current Q50 a sales success. Their product is just not that great and now old and stale. They can only come back with new and improved all new models and for God sakes DO NOT put in CVT in any Infiniti car.
Old 09-08-2020, 07:29 PM
Burning Brakes

It might be targeted, but up until recently Infiniti did a ton of advertising during NBA games. They even had endorsement deals with Steph Curry to star in some of the commercials, and that stupid VC Turbo commercial was seemingly on repeat during every commercial break.

Not that it mattered, because the CVT paired with the VC Turbo was just one (or two or three) too many variable things going on at once. I test drove it to do my due diligence, and came away wondering if whoever greenlit that car into production wasn't on crack at the time.
Not one Infiniti Commercial mentioned the Red Sport or its 400 HP. All you saw was a Q50 with no specs or any explanation. They didn’t even show the inside of the car. People would just assume it’s a regular base Q50 with 300hp. Nothing about twin turbos or anything. It’s ridiculous
Old 09-08-2020, 07:54 PM
AZ Community Team

I think Infiniti does enough advertising on the radio (at least here in mtl). I don’t watch tv so I can’t comment.

The moral of the story is that Infiniti is just not performing and they need a better strategy to bounce back. Now they are going to reveal the new QX60. Let’s see. If the car comes with CVT. They are done. Let’s hope they have learnt their lesson from The failure of QX50.

Btw those of you who follow the car industry probably have noticed Infiniti is trying to steal the Show from Acura. When Acura revealEd the new TLX, Infiniti came up with the info about the QX55, unfortunately that went unnoticed. Now on the 28th, the actual TLX is coming out, they announced the reveal of QX60 lol!
Old 09-08-2020, 08:56 PM
Safety Car

Not one Infiniti Commercial mentioned the Red Sport or its 400 HP. All you saw was a Q50 with no specs or any explanation. They didn’t even show the inside of the car. People would just assume it’s a regular base Q50 with 300hp. Nothing about twin turbos or anything. It’s ridiculous
I don’t think you can chalk up the lackluster sales to a lack of marketing. When was the last time you saw a C43 or S4 or M340i advertisement? I don’t even think I’ve seen one period. If there’s anything to blame, it is the reviews. These cars are bought by enthusiasts, and enthusiasts tend to do more research and read more reviews. I did a quick google search for “Infiniti RS400 review” and pretty much every review calls out the dated interior, numb steering, and poor infotainment system.
Tony Pac (09-08-2020)
Old 09-08-2020, 09:15 PM
AZ Community Team

I don’t think you can chalk up the lackluster sales to a lack of marketing. When was the last time you saw a C43 or S4 or M340i advertisement? I don’t even think I’ve seen one period. If there’s anything to blame, it is the reviews. These cars are bought by enthusiasts, and enthusiasts tend to do more research and read more reviews. I did a quick google search for “Infiniti RS400 review” and pretty much every review calls out the dated interior, numb steering, and poor infotainment system.
100% agreed and well said.

You brought up a few good points. I have never seen any advertising for c43 or S4 on the radio. Not sure about tv. Second, all the reviews say the Infiniti is outdated and the 400HP is slow. A vehicle with highest HP but the slowest.

Last year at the auto show in Montreal, Infiniti had a bigger reserved space than Lexus but no one was there. That’s advertising but poor cars and lineup won’t help to attract people.

let’s hope Infiniti bounces back. Unless as their coo said Nissan Plus. Then RIP!
Old 09-08-2020, 09:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 361 Posts
I have never seen any advertising for c43 or S4 on the radio. Not sure about tv.
I do remember seeing an Audi ad about the S heritage, but not specific to a model. Creates a sense of pride.
In the meantime I see stupid Acura racing/thrill ads all the time on Youtube for TLX. When you try too hard it just looks pathetic.

Unless as their coo said Nissan Plus. Then RIP!
That together with CVT will be the end of Infiniti. The Q50RS did have good acceleration, but the major kill points to me were:
- no folding rear seats
- infotainment way too similar to TLX
- smallish interior
- no cooled seats
Old 09-08-2020, 09:50 PM
Safety Car

As a whole, I would say the other thing that’s absolutely killing Infiniti is the demographic of people who are driving the older models from the 2000s. Maybe it’s just in my area, and I know this is going to sound racist as hell, but almost everyone I see driving an older G or FX is someone most buyers of new luxury cars would probably not want to be associated with.
Old 09-08-2020, 10:00 PM
Null and proud of it

Received 899 Likes on 789 Posts
As a whole, I would say the other thing that’s absolutely killing Infiniti is the demographic of people who are driving the older models from the 2000s. Maybe it’s just in my area, and I know this is going to sound racist as hell, but almost everyone I see driving an older G or FX is someone most buyers of new luxury cars would probably not want to be associated with.
LOL.

You're not wacist.... you're stating facts. Same here bruh. I see Infinitis parked next to beater Impalas in ghetto neighborhoods all of the time.

Oh, and of course, the beat up 2005 G35 with broken bumpers I see at the wash like clockwork.

It seems to be the same with newer Infinitis too. Lots of new buyers that appear to be upside down in debt.

I work at a tunnel carwash, I know every car's demographic.

The stupidest drivers always drive Nissan Versas. #Facts
Old 09-08-2020, 10:26 PM
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 33 Posts
We know the Germans underrate their horsepower numbers but I think the issue with the RS400 isn't that it isn't 400 horsepower, it's the abysmal 7-speed transmission that was a pain in my 2011 G37X and still hasn't been fixed 10 years later. Certainly agree with the other issues previously mentioned but that's the biggest factor with the performance not measuring up to expectations from the specs.

Quick Reply: 0-60 & 1/4 mile times