Turning off collision mitigation system, nearly rear ended

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2018, 05:20 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 380 Likes on 223 Posts
Turning off collision mitigation system, nearly rear ended

Anyone know of way to permanently turn of the collision mitigation system. Now like the idle stop I have to turn it off everytime I start the car. These two features are very annoying and I wish the didnt have either. I nearly got rear ended yesterday when the car braked to a stop going through a green light. The car in front of me was going left and already out of my way. Luckily the guy behind me was able to slam on his brakes in time but he was super pissed thinking I was brake checking him and it was extremely close to being an accident. I also a while back was going to make a pass on a one lane road and went to accelerate into the passing lane and the brakes kicked in and i had to quickly pull back into the lane. Once it kicks in you lose alll control as far as overiding it or using the gas to get you out of an automated system induced accident.

I have the system set to shortest distance but after this latest close call which 9 times out of 10 would have been a rear ending I would feel safer without it ever being on. Anyone know how to disable it by default or permanently without losing any other features like adaptive cruise control? I also at least once a week have it warn or someitimes lightly kick on on narrow roads with car coming around a corner towards me, not sure if its their headlights or what but its does at the very least a nuisance. I am going to call the dealer to see if there is anything they can do to keep it from engaging like this last time.

Last edited by jhb31; 02-09-2018 at 05:23 AM.
Old 02-09-2018, 10:38 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is what the manual states for a 2018: "The CMBS is turned on every time you start the engine, even if you turned it off the last time you drove the vehicle."
Old 02-09-2018, 11:06 AM
6 Forward 1 Back

Received 312 Likes on 155 Posts
Wow, interesting. I ran into the exact scenario you did. I was turning left and the car in front of me slowed down to do a U turn. CMBS kicked in and wouldn't turn off until i came to a complete stop well after the other car was out of sight. I was fighting it with the gas pedal. By then I was in the middle of the intersection sitting there stopped.
Old 02-09-2018, 11:10 AM
Drifting

Received 849 Likes on 605 Posts
Sometimes new technology eliminates one problem only to create two more.
Old 02-09-2018, 11:10 AM
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts
My 2015 TLX and 2010 MDX will override the CBMS if I touch the gas pedal. Maybe it's changed in 2018?

My TLX is set at the Normal distance, maybe having it set at the least distance is making it "over-react."

According to the manual "When in Long, visual and audible alerts come on at a longer distance from a vehicle ahead than in Normal setting, and in Short, at a shorter distance than in Normal."

The Stage 3 of CMBS determines that a collision is unavoidable and forcefully applies the brakes.
Old 02-10-2018, 12:16 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 380 Likes on 223 Posts
Originally Posted by Speed_Racer
Wow, interesting. I ran into the exact scenario you did. I was turning left and the car in front of me slowed down to do a U turn. CMBS kicked in and wouldn't turn off until i came to a complete stop well after the other car was out of sight. I was fighting it with the gas pedal. By then I was in the middle of the intersection sitting there stopped.
Yep, similar to my experience. Other car already gone but I was stopped in the middle of the intersection waiting for the car to release the brakes with an angry driver inches off my bumper. It was not a good feeling having the car lock down on the brakes so no driver control with nobody in front and watching in the rearview mirror as another drivier nearly plows into you. There is also another thread with people getting a lot of false FCW lights and even another braking issue. I also get a lot of the false alerts for the FCW system. Probably 2 out of 3 days a week on a fairly short drive to work. Since nearly being rear ended I turn off the Collision Mitigation System when I start the car along with the idle stop.

Originally Posted by losiglow
Sometimes new technology eliminates one problem only to create two more.
I actually feel the car is less safe with this "new" technology. I have about 4k miles on the car and the only near accident I have had was due to the new tech they added to the car. If I keep the car for 80k miles I may go through 20 of these incidents and not every driver behind me will be able to stop as fast as the one the other day.
Old 02-13-2018, 02:13 PM
7th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Wow, it is interesting.
My TLX just has FCW, not braking, and I always thought that it would be better to have some additional help regarding emergency braking. I did not think about the scenario that you mentioned.
Well, I hope Acura would be able to provide some solutions to the problem of new technologies.
Old 02-16-2018, 01:12 PM
Racer

Received 104 Likes on 72 Posts
Most of the time when mine goes off its for good reason. I was a part time delivery driver for years and I have some bad driving habits. One of them is not giving the car in front of me very much room. As if I'm attempting to prevent anyone from merging in front of me. (Things that make you look like a dick)

However there is one location where that "BRAKE" warning comes up unnecessarily. A two lane road that makes a 70 degree turn with a fair amount of banking. If I cross paths with a vehicle in the opposite direction anywhere in the middle of that turn the car thinks I'm headed for a collision. It never auto brakes for me but it definitely gets my attention!

I've never had the car do anything more than flash the "BRAKE" warning and apply a very minimal amount of brake pressure. Most times I ignore it and continue to push the gas knowing I am clear of the car in front of me. I guess I've not triggered the 3rd stage yet. "The Stage 3 of CMBS determines that a collision is unavoidable and forcefully applies the brakes."