2006 Collision Mitigation Braking System

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2005, 11:49 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 Collision Mitigation Braking System

There's a review of the 2006 RL CMBS at the link below:

http://www.autobytel.com/content/sha...cle_id_int/767

I've been waiting for a 2006 RL so that I can get this system. Seems pretty cool to me. When I'm driving home from work late at night, half-asleep, it would be nice to know the system will do some braking for me. This will apparently be packaged with Adaptive Cruise Control and Run-Flat Tires, as an optional "Technology Package."

I had been hoping the option would come in at about $2000, but this report says it will be $4000.

My local dealer will have a 2006 RL on the lot with this option "for demonstration purposes" in the next 2 weeks.
Old 10-03-2005, 12:48 AM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

So are they going to let you demo this system by driving at another car on their lot?

Seriously, wonder if they can set something up so you can test it. And I wonder how many new RLs will be damaged by owners trying to test it?
Old 10-03-2005, 01:13 AM
Turbo + Sound = Hey-pee

Cool feature though. Cars are turning into batmobiles...
Old 10-03-2005, 10:48 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by sbloom
I had been hoping the option would come in at about $2000, but this report says it will be $4000.
I guess Acura didn't learn anything regarding the '05 MSRP vs. sales numbers. Infiniti offers Intelligents Cruise w/ Preview Brake Assist, Lane Departure Warning System, satelite radio (choice of XM or Sirius), and upgraded sound systrem (5.1 DVD-A multi-media surround w/14 speakers) - ALL for $2200 on the M35/45.

Virtually all laser guided cruise controls on the market now offer braking preview (CMBS) as part of the package. How can Acura charge $4000 for laser cruise and run flats (thats way more than Infiniti or Lexus!). How much are run flats anyway?
Old 10-03-2005, 11:01 AM
office monkey

Originally Posted by msu79gt82
I guess Acura didn't learn anything regarding the '05 MSRP vs. sales numbers. Infiniti offers Intelligents Cruise w/ Preview Brake Assist, Lane Departure Warning System, satelite radio (choice of XM or Sirius), and upgraded sound systrem (5.1 DVD-A multi-media surround w/14 speakers) - ALL for $2200 on the M35/45.

Virtually all laser guided cruise controls on the market now offer braking preview (CMBS) as part of the package. How can Acura charge $4000 for laser cruise and run flats (thats way more than Infiniti or Lexus!). How much are run flats anyway?
I dunno but the M doesnt have this system the 06 RL has and from what I am reading the 06 RL is the first car here in North America to offer this type of system.
Old 10-03-2005, 11:17 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Rob L
I dunno but the M doesnt have this system the 06 RL has and from what I am reading the 06 RL is the first car here in North America to offer this type of system.
I agree that this system is an advance over the current systems in both Infiniti and Lexus (although apparantly Lexus has their new improved system available for select '06s). I wasn't bemoaning the system; merely the cost.

By the way my '04 FX35 has the Infiniti system in it. And seems to me to work the same way as the new Acura/Lexus systems WHILE I have the Intelligent Cruise on. Apparantly Acura and Lexus will brake all the time. These systems are not perfect and occasionally brake at the wrong time. Its very annoying trying to pass an 18-wheeler on the interstate and the brakes engage.
Old 10-03-2005, 12:11 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

The tech package (for the stuff you listed) is $4200 on the M45, but also requires the journey package which is $1700. So actually, it's more expensive on the M35/45.
Old 10-03-2005, 12:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I agree that this system is an advance over the current systems in both Infiniti and Lexus (although apparantly Lexus has their new improved system available for select '06s). I wasn't bemoaning the system; merely the cost.

By the way my '04 FX35 has the Infiniti system in it. And seems to me to work the same way as the new Acura/Lexus systems WHILE I have the Intelligent Cruise on. Apparantly Acura and Lexus will brake all the time. These systems are not perfect and occasionally brake at the wrong time. Its very annoying trying to pass an 18-wheeler on the interstate and the brakes engage.
The M has it if you get the laser cruise control, but it works even with the cruise control off.

I think the main difference is that the RL uses radio instead of laser and the M won't brake, it'll just "prepare" for braking.
Old 10-03-2005, 12:27 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by mrdeeno
The tech package (for the stuff you listed) is $4200 on the M45, but also requires the journey package which is $1700. So actually, it's more expensive on the M35/45.
I subtracted the $2000 for the Navi and folks getting Tech package would want Journey anyway - so my point remains the same.
Old 10-03-2005, 12:31 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by mrdeeno
The M has it if you get the laser cruise control, but it works even with the cruise control off.

I think the main difference is that the RL uses radio instead of laser and the M won't brake, it'll just "prepare" for braking.
Thats what I said. Infiniti operates in Preview Preparation mode while the Cruise is turned OFF; when Cruise it turned ON it appears to work the same as Acura, braking when necessary. When Infiniti gets too close it applies the brakes tryig to maintain the correct distance. And I said it was annoying when passing 18-wheelers and it gets confused.
Old 10-03-2005, 12:48 PM
Pro

Off topic somewhat but I've read where the M-B system in the new S will even bring the car to a full stop for you even in cruise control mode. In cruise mode it will then accelerate to the preset speed. Nice and just what I would expect on such an expensive car.
Old 10-03-2005, 06:34 PM
Turbo + Sound = Hey-pee

Mm.. Our cruise controls don't even work under 20 mph but I guess we don't need it since ours only holds the speed and it doesn't react to traffic...
Old 10-03-2005, 06:53 PM
office monkey

but you bitched about the cost with the implication that the system found in the M is the same because that is the only logical way one can complain/compare two prices. For all you know the system in the RL is worth the 2 k diff in price over the other features that the M has.

The more intelligent comment you should have posted was "wow, 4 grand for the Acura package? I'd hope the the collision system on the Rl is worth $1800 because hat is the price difference between this package and a similar one Infiniti has for the M but without the CMBS."

FWIW I dont personally think this system is worth 1800 bucks so I agree that if the 4 K price is correct then the package is prolly a bit more than it should be.

Oh and I know all about laser cruise systems...I bet I experienced laser cruise before anyone else on this board ever did.
Old 10-04-2005, 01:02 PM
Racer

Related article: http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/...ety-usat_x.htm