TLX is at the dealer... With list of issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 10:15 AM
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 13 Posts
TLX is at the dealer... With list of issues

V6 SH-AWD Tech

I just dropped my car off at the dealership, I'm hoping they can resolve the following problems. I'm hoping they are all related and the technician can find the problem. Bad engine mount maybe?

1. Vibrations at highway speeds felt in the cabin (seat and pedal - not the steering wheel).

2. Random "jolts" and "shudders" when in drive and stopped with your foot on the brake. Perfectly smooth idle that is literally interrupted by these jolts.

3. When hitting a hard bump with the front passenger wheel, you hear the initial thump from the suspension but then you get this reverberation, it's a thump followed by a "tap, tap, tap". As if something is loose and bouncing back and forth.

4. Dealer says there is no fix but I asked them to document the downshift delay from the transmission.
Old 08-06-2015, 11:43 AM
Advanced

My car spent 3 weeks at the dealership while they attempted to resolve the highway shaking/vibrations. Not only were they unable to fix it, they have no idea what's causing it! I think the lady at the checkout counter made a mistake and give me the wrong stack of paperwork because I have over 20 pages of documentation from the technician with his notes and even a document showing that he was working with the Acura "Tech Line", following their suggestions for trying to pinpoint the problem.

The documentation verifies what they've told me. They were swapping parts from another used TLX SH-AWD on the lot that didn't have this problem, trying to isolate the cause. They swapped brake pads, rotors, wheels/tires, road-force balanced the tires, drove the car with driveshaft removed(?), did all software updates, still the shaking/vibration remains. I was told that axles were swapped but I don't see that in the paperwork. I'm not sure I like them swapping used parts from another car onto mine but that's another story. I'm surprised that nothing in the paperwork even mentions VCM, struts, or engine mounts as a possible concern. The good news is that the technician noted several times in the paperwork that he felt an "excessive vibration" and that the passenger seat "visibly shakes" and that other TLX's on the lot had "some vibration but not as bad." I'm happy with the dealer's effort - they really did try.

I'm meeting with the district service manager next week and I'm going to ask that the car be replaced with another that doesn't have this problem. With all of this documentation in hand, I'm going to file for a lemon-law if there is any resistance.

I still have the unusual idle issues and I've actually started to get used to the transmission, but I still don't love it. I could accept the car and enjoy it if it weren't for the highway shaking.
Old 08-06-2015, 12:49 PM
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
With all the documentation they helpfully provided to you, it sounds like you have a good case for a new car. Without the documentation, I suspect they might try to give you the "it is a characteristic of the car" line.
Old 08-06-2015, 01:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts
i doubt they will give you a new one
Old 08-06-2015, 01:31 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
I wish the lemon law existed in every state and province. It's BS that it doesn't. Acura should not be able to get away with this.
Old 08-06-2015, 02:53 PM
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Hate for it to be true, but there have been reports on Chrysler vehicles with the ZF 9 speed of axle vibration caused internally by the transmission. Swapping axles wont fix it, replacing the transmission would.

Doesnt look like they even though of that as a cause for your issue, but it might be along those lines.
Old 08-06-2015, 03:27 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello to all,

I am new to the forum and I wanted to share my issues that I am currently experiencing with my Acura TLX V6 Tech that I just purchased on July 18 of this year.
After a week of the purchase I noticed that my car had spots (look like water spots) all over the hood and sides. My TLX was on my garage for most of the week since I had a chemo session that left me exhausted. I immediately called Acura and they asked me to bring the car the next morning.

When I met with services consultant he agreed that some of the spots were present and agreed to have them checked. I also reminded him that I noticed a bit of hesitation on my car while driving as well as Mojo_79 issue number 2 which he comments on his first post.

The consultant mentioned that it probably needed a software update and that I should have my car early evening. Here is where the problems started to arise, my car was not ready for 5 days. He explained that they need more time. Finally when I went to pick up my car, he explained to me that it took 4 retries for the update to go through. They had detailed the car and said that all the spots were taken.

I took my car home and when I went to park in the garage I noticed the same spots. The weird thing is that the spots can only be seen at an angle and under the shade cause. The next morning I took it to a detailer and she proceeded to try a few things which did not work. She recommended me to go to a body shop and have them take a look. I took it to a reputable place and the owner, very helpful, proceeded to tell me that the spots are somewhere within the paint. He called Acura for me and explained the issue to them and the services manager asked me to come by around later that afternoon.

Once I got there, the Services manager took a look at it under the shade and said that he does indeed see the marks all over the car and that they seemed to be embedded within the paint. When we took the car for a ride I also mentioned that the hesitation and issues were still present and more prominent after the update. The manager proceeded to take all my information and said that when the district service manger comes by that they will call me so that he can meet with me and see what can be done.

If anyone has any suggestions as to what could it be or what action I should take please feel free to comment. The service manager is aware that I have a lawyer since she is the trustee of my trust fund due to the severity of my cancer. Thanks again and sorry for this long narration.
Old 08-06-2015, 04:00 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by cruiserchuck
With all the documentation they helpfully provided to you, it sounds like you have a good case for a new car. Without the documentation, I suspect they might try to give you the "it is a characteristic of the car" line.
I agree. I can't imagine anybody at Acura could read through this documentation and give me that line with a straight face. But who knows... I'll report back next week once I find out.