Picked up my new TLX today...then dropped it off! (Canada)

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 06:43 PM
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Unhappy Picked up my new TLX today...then dropped it off! (Canada)

Hi guys

I picked up my new TLX SH-AWD Elite yesterday and drove off the lot and as I got on the highway, I got a message in the MID saying "Some driver assist features cannot operate: Radar Obstructed." (Pic attached)

The shifting in stop and go traffic was annoyingly jerky.

Turned around and took it to the dealership and the technician said they haven't encountered this problem before and the technician said he took a test drive and the transmission should not be doing what it's doing. Kept the car and gave me an ILX loaner.

Great dealership and great staff. They handled everything very nicely. It's not the dealership's fault. But how do these cars make it out of the factory.

Called the dealership today and they said the factory forgot to remove a sticker from the radar that was obstructing it which they did and the radar is fine now.

They also did a software update today (which when I picked up the car was told was done) and the transmission was "better". The technician said that he has been told the 9 speed transmission learns and takes 1000 kms for it to break in.

Has any one experience jerky shifting in their brand new car and it got better over time?

It was run hour and I never got to drive it at highway speeds so I know it acts like this in the first few gears at least.

Has anyone had such experience and how did the dealer deal with it? How did you deal with it?

I asked them to give me a new car. Monday is Thanksgiving so they will get back to me on Tuesday.

Any input is highly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails Picked up my new TLX today...then dropped it off! (Canada)-20151008_175227.jpg  
Old 10-09-2015, 07:07 PM
Administrator

Received 1,002 Likes on 572 Posts
I closed your thread in the Eastern Canada Forum since you started a new one here with more information in the first post.

I would have merged them but were having some problems with that program so I had to settle for closing the thread and posting a link to this thread in it.
Old 10-10-2015, 01:18 PM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

Received 345 Likes on 253 Posts
"...the factory forgot to remove a sticker from the radar ...".

If I recall correctly, the dealer preparation manual was posted very early on in this forum. If someone can still find it (I looked but can't), can you verify that that sticker on the radar isn't something the dealer has to remove before delivery to a customer and not the factory? For obvious protection reasons during transportation...

It kinda makes sense to me to have the dealer remove that as part of the preparation process they have to follow (yeah they get paid for that!). If that is the case, and again I am just guessing here, maybe that dealership missed a few other, perhaps more important, steps during the delivery process they have to follow?

Just some thoughts.
Old 10-10-2015, 01:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 157 Likes on 118 Posts
When its ready to get back on the road I would take it on a very long "test drive" with someone from the dealership and if you encounter some strange stuff maybe ask for a new car
Old 10-11-2015, 01:30 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by spoiler900
When its ready to get back on the road I would take it on a very long "test drive" with someone from the dealership and if you encounter some strange stuff maybe ask for a new car
Monday they are closed for Thanksgiving so I will hear back from them on Tuesday. I have already asked for a new car. Let's see what they come back with.
Old 10-11-2015, 12:46 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
^^ I am not sure sure why you would want a new TLX? Did I miss anything but they have removed the piece of take that was obstructing the radar and things are fine....and they did perform the software update on the tranny. Are there any other issues?
Old 10-11-2015, 01:02 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Originally Posted by spoiler900
Yay, road trip to Mexico!! Post pics!
Old 10-11-2015, 10:28 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by weather
^^ I am not sure sure why you would want a new TLX? Did I miss anything but they have removed the piece of take that was obstructing the radar and things are fine....and they did perform the software update on the tranny. Are there any other issues?
The technician told me on the phone that the update didn't do much for the transmission which means it's faulty. I will ask to drive another car and if it's not, then we will know.
The following users liked this post:
weather (10-12-2015)
Old 10-12-2015, 08:01 AM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Received 599 Likes on 454 Posts
Originally Posted by MyBlackBeauty
Monday they are closed for Thanksgiving so I will hear back from them on Tuesday. I have already asked for a new car. Let's see what they come back with.
Best thing you did was to bring it right back instead of going home and calling them.

I understand that things can happen at any time after delivery and can be repaired. However, IMO since these issues occurred so soon after taking delivery, I think that I too would insist on a new car.

Because for me I know I would already be "soured" towards this particular car.

Good Luck..
MyBlackBeauty (10-12-2015)
Old 10-12-2015, 05:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
MyBlackBeauty...Thanks for the clarification. I had missed teh part about the reprogramming not being successful
Old 10-12-2015, 05:48 PM
Safety Car

Received 833 Likes on 581 Posts
Lemon law, eh ?
Old 10-12-2015, 09:41 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by weather
MyBlackBeauty...Thanks for the clarification. I had missed teh part about the reprogramming not being successful
Can't wait to hear back from them tomorrow and see what they have to say.
Old 10-13-2015, 07:19 PM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Can't wait to hear back from them tomorrow and see what they have to say.
Any update, have you heard from the dealer?
Old 10-13-2015, 07:21 PM
Instructor

So I went to the dealership today and they told me there were two updates to be done on the transmission which were completed. I took the car for a road test and thankfully the car was fine. The difference was day and night. I am so happy the issue got fixed. It was a nightmare.

The cruise control still wasn't working and they offered to replace the radar unit on the car.

I have been told the car would be ready to pick up by 6 p.m. tomorrow.

They offered me free first oil change and free tire swapping if I get winter tires. I asked for all weather mats too and they obliged.
JT4 (10-13-2015)
Old 10-13-2015, 07:33 PM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by 2012wagon
Lemon law, eh ?
Unfortunately, we don't have a lemon law in ANY province or territory in Canada. This is one thing the USA does a lot better than we do. I wish we did. I think consumers need to able to light that kind of fire under the automakers' collective ass. Luckily, you guys down south having lemon laws in some states helps with having higher quality cars that we benefit from up here.
Old 10-13-2015, 07:38 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by youngTL
Unfortunately, we don't have a lemon law in ANY province or territory in Canada. This is one thing the USA does a lot better than we do. I wish we did. I think consumers need to able to light that kind of fire under the automakers' collective ass. Luckily, you guys down south having lemon laws in some states helps with having higher quality cars that we benefit from up here.
We don't have lemon laws but we have this:

CAMVAP - Canadian Motor Vehicle Arbitration Plan
Old 10-13-2015, 08:17 PM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

So I went to the dealership today and they told me there were two updates to be done on the transmission which were completed. I took the car for a road test and thankfully the car was fine. The difference was day and night. I am so happy the issue got fixed. It was a nightmare.

The cruise control still wasn't working and they offered to replace the radar unit on the car.

I have been told the car would be ready to pick up by 6 p.m. tomorrow.

They offered me free first oil change and free tire swapping if I get winter tires. I asked for all weather mats too and they obliged.
Forget the mats, ask them to make your first payment as a "goodwill" gesture.
Old 10-13-2015, 08:27 PM
Safety Car

Received 833 Likes on 581 Posts
Originally Posted by youngTL
Sorry to hear

Guess not everything is better in canada
Old 10-17-2015, 12:18 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
I assume you are experiencing the notched 1-2 and 2-3 shifts that are discussed in depth in the 9 speed transmission thread under Problems and Fixes. I experienced some of that in the first few months but for after several months of the 10 months I have owned the car (9k), it is almost non existent. I start in Eco and as the car warms up and as i drive in more open areas, I shift to Normal and occasionally Sport depending upon driving conditions. In stop and go traffic I use Eco, as it's easy to keep the engine revs under 2k rpms for those first two shifts. When I shift under 2k or over 3k (normal/sport), the first two shifts are relatively smooth. It should be noted the other 6 shifts are always silky smooth. It's a bit quirky, but it suits my driving style nicely and gives me good city fuel economy for a 290 hp engine. Others have had worse issues, some of which I suspect to be a little overstated or based on very aggressive driving styles. I have 0 issues with downshifting or lag, another issue cited by a few.

My Acura dealer, with an excellent service department, is unaware of any transmission update available through Acura Canada, other than the initial recall for early models regarding the chance of slipping out of P. After reading the mixed results of U.S. posters who have had access to several updates, I don't think this is a bad thing, as it seems to me that the cure can be worse than the initial problem. Regardless, you need to find the solution that works for you. I love many things about the car and so have patiently found my own solution that fits the transmission and my driving style.

Good luck!

Last edited by mapleloaf; 10-17-2015 at 12:20 AM.
Quandry (10-17-2015)