9AT Hard Shift 1-2 and 2-3

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2016, 08:00 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by KeithL
we have late 15 TLX AWD Advance and 16 RDX AWD Advance and I can't feel VCM in either. While I love the smooth predictable shifting of the RDX there is something to be said for the gear range of 8 and 9 speed tranny. My 7AT in my Infiniti and the 8AT in my Audi were really nice, the 8 AT in particular because the Audi was able to stay in RPM range easier.
I do love the ratio spread of the 9 speed. I just wished it shifted better. The slow downshifting from 9th to 4th is very annoying. By the way mine is an early build 15. Last 5 of VIN are 02204. I tried to explain to the advisor that it shouldn't be this noticeable. He wished he had given be a TLX v-6 loaner so I could compare. When he talked to me they were all gone and they didn't get any back for me trade the RDX for. The dealer is way out of the way for me. I was in Wisconsin visiting friends. The nearest dealer to me is still almost 2 hours away. There is only one dealer in Iowa. I am just praying that the update is an improvement.
Old 06-29-2016, 09:19 AM
Old Man Yelling at Clouds

Received 7,362 Likes on 3,906 Posts
Originally Posted by jcroniser
1Louder--I was talking to the GM of my local dealership here in northeast Ohio earlier today (yet again complaining about the shifts--and remember I'm one of the lucky ones who has received a replacement already!) and he mentioned that the transmissions "are the same" in all of the TLXs. So I kindly sent him a screen shot of your post about the two different transmissions. Perhaps I will get some new traction now that Acura has been essentially ignoring me for the last six months. Thanks for sharing your points: they were well used today (and if I hear anything back that might be of use to others, I will certainly return 1Louder's favor).
Good luck - I hope it works out for you! I wish Acura would sing the same song on this - sometimes you never know what these reps are being told. But to me all these data points seem to line up - that software updates alone were ineffective, relearns were ineffective, so the only card to play is a hardware change. And there according to my experience and many others here, this problem can go away (or as close to it as we can hope for). So if it didn't go away over a software fix, and it didn't go away on its own, only one other option remains.

You may be able to find some part number data in earlier posts. I get my car back on Friday - I'll see what it says.

Let us know how it works out!

Last edited by 1Louder; 06-29-2016 at 09:22 AM.
Old 06-29-2016, 05:48 PM
Forum Contributor

Received 1,392 Likes on 644 Posts
TSB 15-040 was revised today and includes information on transmission replacement. See the 2015 TSB thread for details.

https://acurazine.com/forums/fifth-g...letins-914607/
The following 3 users liked this post by EE4Life:
2011TL (06-30-2016), kkannr (06-29-2016), NJToyMan (06-29-2016)
Old 06-29-2016, 06:04 PM
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by EE4Life
TSB 15-040 was revised today and includes information on transmission replacement. See the 2015 TSB thread for details.

Hmmm.. thats a bummer and I am confused!
Old 06-29-2016, 07:31 PM
Intermediate

The dealer was unable to install the update to my car due to a bug in acura's system. Acura was aware of the bug but it won't be corrected for 15 days or so. So I had to make another appointment. I kind of hope the update doesn't help and I can get an updated transmission. How many of you had good luck with the update correcting the 2-3 hard shift?
Old 06-29-2016, 08:52 PM
Instructor

Received 69 Likes on 35 Posts

Isn't this the very long-awaited authorization and admission by Acura to potentially replace thousands of affected transmissions, without requiring owners to jump through hoops or involve getting permission from District Managers, etc???
Old 06-29-2016, 09:00 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Glad you guys are getting new transmissions. I was scheduled to take mine in tomorrow for the Acura rep to evaluate, but I bailed on Saturday. Just didn't want to fight it. Traded the car for a massively loaded Kia Optima SX Limited. Way more equipment than even the Advance, and better implementation of it IMO. And 6 grand less.

The Brake Hold doesn't switch to Parking Brake when you turn the engine off, it has a real gear shift lever, it goes from Reverse to Drive without that long delay, it has a spare tire (okay, a compact, but better than a can of goop), the trans shifts like butter, there's no vibration when the cylinders cut (since they don't), and it burns Regular gas. It's roomier, it has a panoramic sunroof, auto folding outside mirrors, heated steering wheel, bird's-eye-view camera, wireless phone charging, intelligent cruise, heated and cooled seats (and heated rear seats), electronic p-brake with brake hold, auto headlight dimming, rear window sunshades, and on and on.

Maybe I was getting tired of Acura, but I'm happy I made the move.

Happy trails.

(EDIT: Oh, and they gave me $27,500 for my TLX with 20k miles.)
Old 06-29-2016, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by wagsrules
The dealer was unable to install the update to my car due to a bug in acura's system. Acura was aware of the bug but it won't be corrected for 15 days or so. So I had to make another appointment. I kind of hope the update doesn't help and I can get an updated transmission. How many of you had good luck with the update correcting the 2-3 hard shift?
The updates didn't help me at all. Beware if they do an "idle relearn" or something else with "relearn" in the title. The first relearn I had made the problem go away for about a week, but it came back. The second relearn did nothing. So if things seem OK initially, give it a week or two before your final assessment.

I can't speak with absolute certainty because I don't have data on everyone's experience, but in my humble opinion this problem can't go away with SW updates. I honestly think it's a hardware problem. Software is only going to control the transmission shift points (i.e. when it shifts). How it shifts is mechanical. What I don't know is whether SW controls the clutch and the multiple sequence involved (i.e. clutch in, shift, clutch out). But for me, if it could be fixed in SW alone that would have been done a year ago.

Last edited by 1Louder; 06-29-2016 at 09:53 PM.
Old 06-29-2016, 09:54 PM

Post #180 on this page.

https://acurazine.com/forums/fifth-g...-914607/page5/

But this has a very interesting new part to it now, highlighted in red. Hmmmm.

CORRECTIVE ACTION To get optimal performance out of the transmission, update the TCM software, clear any DTCs, and do the PCM idle learn procedure. After the update has been done, if the client returns after driving the vehicle 500 miles and is still concerned about the 2-3 shift, go to REPAIR PROCEDURE; REPLACE TRANSMISSION.

NOTE:

• The transmission is constantly learning.
• After the update, it is important for the transmission to learn and to adapt to the client’s driving habits. This process can only be done by allowing the client to drive the vehicle for 500 miles.
•…

Last edited by 1Louder; 06-29-2016 at 10:03 PM.
The following users liked this post:
2011TL (06-30-2016)
Old 06-29-2016, 09:56 PM
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike_TX
Glad you guys are getting new transmissions. I was scheduled to take mine in tomorrow for the Acura rep to evaluate, but I bailed on Saturday. Just didn't want to fight it. Traded the car for a massively loaded Kia Optima SX Limited. Way more equipment than even the Advance, and better implementation of it IMO. And 6 grand less.

The Brake Hold doesn't switch to Parking Brake when you turn the engine off, it has a real gear shift lever, it goes from Reverse to Drive without that long delay, it has a spare tire (okay, a compact, but better than a can of goop), the trans shifts like butter, there's no vibration when the cylinders cut (since they don't), and it burns Regular gas. It's roomier, it has a panoramic sunroof, auto folding outside mirrors, heated steering wheel, bird's-eye-view camera, wireless phone charging, intelligent cruise, heated and cooled seats (and heated rear seats), electronic p-brake with brake hold, auto headlight dimming, rear window sunshades, and on and on.

Happy trails.

Thats great to hear man, congrats on the new car. Pics? Did you lease your TLX? I am also debating getting into another car (Dodge Charger Scat Pack). I didn't get the TLX appraised yet but from using KBB i'll be upside down by ~3k, which isn't too bad. I'm happy I chose to lease the TLX because if i do decide to stick with this car for the remained of the lease i'll only have another 2 years until I can get out of it.

Like everyone else, i'm tired of the slow shifts, horrible delay when merging or trying to switch lanes and the occasional bump I get from 2-3.
KeithL (06-30-2016)
Old 06-29-2016, 10:01 PM

Happy trails.

Good luck with the new car!
Old 06-29-2016, 10:49 PM
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts

Happy trails.

Good for you, hopefully Acura is learning what happens when you treat loyal customers like this. I would not have pushed for my transmission to be replaced if I had to drive an Acura rep, just wouldn't have been worth the fight and I would've traded the car in. As far as driving someone, I drove a tech a couple months ago and that was it. I get my car back on Tuesday with the new tranny so hopefully it's substantially better. How is Kia service though? I've never heard anything good or bad about it.
Old 06-30-2016, 03:13 PM
AcurAdmirer

Originally Posted by Illuminati
Thats great to hear man, congrats on the new car. Pics? Did you lease your TLX? I am also debating getting into another car (Dodge Charger Scat Pack). I didn't get the TLX appraised yet but from using KBB i'll be upside down by ~3k, which isn't too bad. I'm happy I chose to lease the TLX because if i do decide to stick with this car for the remained of the lease i'll only have another 2 years until I can get out of it.

Like everyone else, i'm tired of the slow shifts, horrible delay when merging or trying to switch lanes and the occasional bump I get from 2-3.

Old 06-30-2016, 03:14 PM
AcurAdmirer

Originally Posted by atl7
Good for you, hopefully Acura is learning what happens when you treat loyal customers like this. I would not have pushed for my transmission to be replaced if I had to drive an Acura rep, just wouldn't have been worth the fight and I would've traded the car in. As far as driving someone, I drove a tech a couple months ago and that was it. I get my car back on Tuesday with the new tranny so hopefully it's substantially better. How is Kia service though? I've never heard anything good or bad about it.
I have no idea. I'm hoping I don't have to deal with them except for oil changes and tire rotations!
Old 06-30-2016, 03:16 PM
AcurAdmirer

Originally Posted by 1Louder
Good luck with the new car!
Thanks! And good luck with your new transmission!
Old 06-30-2016, 03:36 PM
5th Gear

New transmission Update

I have put approximately 800 miles on the new transmission: NO Occasional Bump 1 to 2 and NO consistent bump 2 to 3, NO Free fall down shifts, NO loss of power on long uphill right hand curves, Less delay in power at speed but stile a delay none the less, mild scoop/hop (kind of like shifting a manual too soon in the power ban) going into 3rd, vibration at the top end of the intermediate gears (fuel economy??), poor gear choice accelerating in traffic ( i manual down shift to get the power I want). Overall a marked improvement but not perfect. I would like to know what all the people with new trans are saying and noting. New Thread? or stay here?
CPR (07-02-2016)
Old 06-30-2016, 07:48 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Damn that is sweet, love the color. Can't wait until I am not very upside down and my TLX is done as well.
Old 06-30-2016, 08:17 PM
Drifting

Received 536 Likes on 302 Posts

Happy trails.

Congrats, Mike. This is how it should be done. Hopefully the Optima will be good to you... well, at least better than Acura has been to you. Did you consider a Genesis?
Old 07-01-2016, 09:05 PM

Got my car back today with the updated transmission.

Drives identical to my loaner (which was a June 15 build). No hesitation in the shifts, no bump, everything is smooth and as it should be. I'll check back after 500 miles (which will take a couple weeks) but first impression is a great one. Finally after 16 months I have the car I thought I bought.
The following 5 users liked this post by 1Louder:
2011TL (07-02-2016), a35tl (07-02-2016), CPR (07-02-2016), Curious3GTL (07-02-2016), wlkeel (07-02-2016)
Old 07-02-2016, 03:38 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wish that it happened to me iLouder even with a new tranny and the latest update my car still has the bumps 2-3 shift.. really need to replace the car im not happy with the car.
Old 07-02-2016, 09:28 AM
AcurAdmirer

Originally Posted by Rocketsfan
Congrats, Mike. This is how it should be done. Hopefully the Optima will be good to you... well, at least better than Acura has been to you. Did you consider a Genesis?
Thanks. I didn't really look hard at the Genesis ... it's gotten to be so big, and the price was more than I wanted to pay. Maybe at some point in the future.
Old 07-02-2016, 11:16 AM
CPR
Burning Brakes

Received 277 Likes on 144 Posts
The aggravation is OVER My new 2016 ZF/9 speed shifts and drives normally; I'm comparing it to my buddy's 2016 MDX/9 speed.
My 17 month wait was tiring, but as they say; "all's well that ends well"
Acura should be ashamed for lying about the tranny problem; anyone who has a legitimate gripe, should be afforded a 2016 replacemen
After 3+ software upgrades, numerous phone calls, & constant complaints, my 2015/SH-AWD/Tech, is whole, again!
Good luck, & patience to all those with similar problems
I now have a $43,000 car, that behaves like one!
The following 5 users liked this post by CPR:
1Louder (07-02-2016), 2011TL (07-02-2016), a35tl (07-02-2016), Rocketsfan (07-05-2016), wlkeel (07-02-2016)
Old 07-02-2016, 01:33 PM
AcurAdmirer

Congratulations CPR. Glad it is now doing what it should!
Old 07-02-2016, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by samuel002
I wish that it happened to me iLouder even with a new tranny and the latest update my car still has the bumps 2-3 shift.. really need to replace the car im not happy with the car.
Sorry to hear that - my only suggestion might be to make sure they have the correct transmission control module (TCM). The transmission and TCM are two separate parts but they have to be replaced together. My area rep was telling me that he's run into situations where only the transmission was changed - that by itself will not make a difference. Nothing really changes until you get the matching transmission/TCM pair.
Old 07-02-2016, 05:00 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1Louder, I actually got the correct TCM module from the dealer according to the latest TSB i looked at the numbers and it was exactly the same.
Old 07-03-2016, 12:01 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 164 Likes on 115 Posts
Currently driving a 2016 mdx loaner. No 2-3 hardshift but i feel the 1-2 shift especially in stop and traffic. Feels like it shifts too quickly to 2nd gear. Does the tlx with replaced tranny do that?
Old 07-03-2016, 12:34 AM
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by mondster
Does the tlx with replaced tranny do that?
For the 100th time in this and other threads...the replaced transmission corrects the problem...completely. The shifts are smooth and normal. With the latest software the lag and hesitation is pretty much fixed as well.

I checked the part number in the TSB and it's the one on my paperwork when they replaced my transmission. There is a separate part for 2WD vs AWD and base, tech, and advance trims. There must be software differences, especially with the AWD models.
Old 07-03-2016, 04:43 AM
rxr
Cruisin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow, so they are actually replacing transmissions via tsb 15-040 without the need for us to fight with corporate? I may get this done this month then....

Got my car back today with the updated transmission.

Drives identical to my loaner (which was a June 15 build). No hesitation in the shifts, no bump, everything is smooth and as it should be. I'll check back after 500 miles (which will take a couple weeks) but first impression is a great one. Finally after 16 months I have the car I thought I bought.
Was this done through 15-040 and was it a updated 15 transmission or 16 transmission?
Old 07-03-2016, 09:08 AM
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by rxr
was it a updated 15 transmission or 16 transmission?
People keeping asking this, but it's a misconception.

There is a one part number for each trim for replacement listed in the TSB. It's not a "2015" or "2016" transmission, but the current part being used for replacements. One would assume it's the most current hardware and software for your vehicle. They're not putting some old version of the hardware in and hoping it might work better. 🙄

I had mine replaced in Feb, and the part number was the one now listed on TSB 15-040 for the SH-AWD.

Last edited by neil0311; 07-03-2016 at 09:11 AM.
Old 07-03-2016, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by rxr
Wow, so they are actually replacing transmissions via tsb 15-040 without the need for us to fight with corporate? I may get this done this month then....
You'll still need to fight, but you may not need ACR. The process still appears to be you get a battery of updates, drive 500 miles, complain it's not fixed, but they you go to the "replacement" procedure, which from what I was told still requires a drive and approval by an area rep. In order to get an area rep involved, your dealership - particularly the service manager - needs to be on board.

Originally Posted by rxr
Was this done through 15-040 and was it a updated 15 transmission or 16 transmission?
Not 15-40 for me. I had the earlier version of that TSB applied last Sept. I think what they've updated in that TSB is the acknowledgement you go to the "replacement" process if the update didn't work. I already established the updates didn't work. I was just in for scheduled maintenance and I complained again just because it appears Acura is replacing more of these. But, my history with this problem goes back to about May of 2015 when I first complained about it. So I've been at this for a while and I have a long history with my dealership and ACR on this issue. I agree with neil's answer above about the trannys.

Just get ready to be persistent. They didn't exactly share my opinion there was a problem so I don't think these are going to be slam dunks.

Last edited by 1Louder; 07-03-2016 at 11:54 AM.
Old 07-03-2016, 12:51 PM
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts
I took my SH-AWD in yesterday along with the updated TSB 15-040. They told me that the car's software was up to date (i.e. there was no new software with the TSB update.) But now I have an appointment to leave the car with them on Tuesday for some driving tests and "performance" parameter checking. They said if the parameters are out of spec they will do the Transmission replacement. I can only hope now. At least I don't have to wait another 500 miles.
Old 07-04-2016, 06:29 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
Mike_TX....Congrats on your Optima!! It is crazy to see the major leap forward the Koreans have made in the last few years and yours look amazing! I understand why you left Acura....It is ridiculous that they make people have to fight to solve their inability to implement the car as it should have been from the get go. The TLX has resulted in several loyal customers to either ditch their Acura, sit by the side and watch this gong show unfold and leave a bad taste in people's mouth. Sure, for those that got their tranny replaced, all is good now but how many people have been left bruised by the whole thing.

I still wanna come back to Acura mainly because of the amazing folks at my dealership but certainly not for ACURA itself. I MAY, and I say this with a tremendous amount of reluctance, I may come back to Acura with the MMC as long as their is NO EVIDENCE of a ZF product to be seen anywhere. If they bring a manual, for sure I would be back, an in-house DCT is a maybe, a ZF is a F.... NO!

Less than a year or so to go before we find out what Acura will bring for the MMC....I am leaning toward waiting for the FMC instead and leave this entire Gen go by but we'll see.

Old 07-04-2016, 07:40 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
The updates didn't help me at all. Beware if they do an "idle relearn" or something else with "relearn" in the title. The first relearn I had made the problem go away for about a week, but it came back. The second relearn did nothing. So if things seem OK initially, give it a week or two before your final assessment.

I can't speak with absolute certainty because I don't have data on everyone's experience, but in my humble opinion this problem can't go away with SW updates. I honestly think it's a hardware problem. Software is only going to control the transmission shift points (i.e. when it shifts). How it shifts is mechanical. What I don't know is whether SW controls the clutch and the multiple sequence involved (i.e. clutch in, shift, clutch out). But for me, if it could be fixed in SW alone that would have been done a year ago.
Post #180 on this page.

NOTE:

The transmission is constantly learning.
After the update, it is important for the transmission to learn and to adapt to the client’s driving habits. This process can only be done by allowing the client to drive the vehicle for 500 miles.
•…
I had the SW update for late 2015 build cars and I initially saw a positive change. But now most of those changes are gone. I wish Acura could turn off this stupid 'learning' feature that seems to be causing all these problems. Who the frack wants a transmission that 'learns' anyway. Especially over 500 miles. What is the point? Just behave in one consistent manner.

I'm glad that early TLX owners are finally getting some clearer path to get their cars fixed. Late 2015 builds like mine only have a software update that immediately begins to 'learn' to take away any improvement in shifting. The car is once again annoying to drive and I can't ever tell when I step on the gas when the transmission is going to decide to make the car go.

Acura, please don't make 'learning' brakes!
Old 07-05-2016, 12:22 PM
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts
Acura, please don't make 'learning' brakes!
Perhaps we should compile a list of things we don't want this car to "learn."

1. ACC following interval
2. Driver seat positioning
3. Backup camera "color" fidelity
4. Navigation destinations

I am sure there are more
Old 07-05-2016, 05:01 PM
TLX-S

Received 225 Likes on 172 Posts
I dropped off my 2015 SH-AWD Tech at the dealer this morning with a print out of the updated TSB 15-040. I already had the software update mentioned applied back in March, but would still get occasional firm 2-3 shift.

I just got a call from my service advisor stating that the transmission is going to be replaced. They contacted the Acura Tech Line as mentioned in the updated TSB and got the approval to replace the transmission.

The transmission will be ordered in the morning and everything should be done early next week.
2011TL (07-06-2016)
Old 07-05-2016, 05:23 PM
Racer

Just picked up my TLX today with the new transmission. 2-3 gear jerk is gone, throttle response is better (but not as good as my '16 MDX), and jerkiness between gears is mostly gone. The difference in behavior is noticeable. As annoyed as I was with this car, I really do love it and have come to appreciate how great of a car Acura produced. Good luck to everyone still fighting for a replacement, I'll keep an eye out for this thread
The following 2 users liked this post by atl7:
2011TL (07-06-2016), a35tl (07-08-2016)
Old 07-06-2016, 11:31 AM
Burning Brakes

Just picked up my TLX today with the new transmission. 2-3 gear jerk is gone, throttle response is better (but not as good as my '16 MDX), and jerkiness between gears is mostly gone. The difference in behavior is noticeable. As annoyed as I was with this car, I really do love it and have come to appreciate how great of a car Acura produced. Good luck to everyone still fighting for a replacement, I'll keep an eye out for this thread
Verify if they applied tsb 16-012. I believe this affects throttle response.
Old 07-06-2016, 01:14 PM
Racer

Verify if they applied tsb 16-012. I believe this affects throttle response.
I'm not sure if that TSB was applied, here is the service receipt. Throttle response is much better when driving in reverse also.
Attached Thumbnails 9AT Hard Shift 1-2 and 2-3-img_9417.jpg  
Old 07-06-2016, 01:51 PM
Burning Brakes

I'm not sure if that TSB was applied, here is the service receipt. Throttle response is much better when driving in reverse also.
Best bet would be to call your service rep and verify.
Old 07-06-2016, 02:33 PM
Racer

Best bet would be to call your service rep and verify.
Really don't want to bother them, they've done enough to my car. All I know is the car drives like it always should've now!

Quick Reply: 9AT Hard Shift 1-2 and 2-3