9AT Hard Shift 1-2 and 2-3

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2016, 11:36 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by quantum7
I am happy to all of the ZF and DCT owners who are finally getting an improved product in the latest releases and replacements. Acura in my opinion has done a lot to reduce mine and other longtime Acura owners confidence in the company by how they denied and did not support early adopters....but at least they seem to be on the right path.
On Weds I stopped into my local dealer to pick up some parts for my TL. As I walked to the parts window my long time service advisor spotted me and followed me into the parts dept. After some catching up I asked him if Acura had the ZF figured out yet...and to my surprise he said "no...still a mess". I then asked about the DCT and he said...."same thing". Hopefully he was only talking about software updates on first year cars, but I was very surprised that he didn't hesitate and that he did not try to convince me of the improvements in the 2016 and 2017 TLX. And he knows that I want to buy a new car!

I can only hope that the refresh brings some confidence back to me and Acura. Just provide an optional MT or hell....even a traditional 6 speed auto....then I would probably buy one. Not sure how I feel about new 10 speed....should we be hoping for that or do we hope that the ZF is the long term solution for Acura?
Looks like you found the last honest person at Acura. They better hurry up and fire him.
The following users liked this post:
quantum7 (08-14-2016)
Old 08-13-2016, 02:41 PM
Old Man Yelling at Clouds

Received 7,362 Likes on 3,906 Posts
Originally Posted by mikedub88
First application of the 10spd will be in the new Odyssey. TLX will not see any powertrain changes at MMC.
Source? Links?

I guess I just find it curious that with the constant stream of bad press and reviews over the ZF 9-speed they'd totally ignore the 10-speed they've developed as a potential fix. "We've developed this amazing new transmission and we're going to put it in our mini-van". Seems odd they would ignore the one car that's their current king of bad press.
Old 08-13-2016, 05:25 PM
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts
Well I'm gonna go in for the latest update on Monday (I've scheduled an appointment). I have an August build car, but I still get that jerky 2-3 shift occasionally, and it's really apparent in low speed traffic jams.
Old 08-14-2016, 08:55 AM
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by kuzdu
thats why I'm leaving after my lease is up, my 4g TL was better to me. even my salesperson said he should of never gave his up. I'm looking at the 340 next or An S4. My cousin has the 328 and yup it blows away the TLX by far. As of now its a big improvement since I brought it home
I was checking into those myself, as I'm originally a BMW guy. Those cars are 1 or 2 steps up, as you in the high $50's or low $60's. ($60k for a 3 series seems a little steep.) I'd like an Audi S4 Avant, but those won't come to the US. Maybe an Audi SQ5 in a few years.
Old 08-15-2016, 07:14 AM
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by 1Louder
Source? Links?

I guess I just find it curious that with the constant stream of bad press and reviews over the ZF 9-speed they'd totally ignore the 10-speed they've developed as a potential fix. "We've developed this amazing new transmission and we're going to put it in our mini-van". Seems odd they would ignore the one car that's their current king of bad press.
The source is me. I work for a supplier. Believe me or don't. I only post because I know. I don't want people getting their hopes up for a new transmission in the TLX when it's not coming for MMC. The problems with the ZF are mostly ironed out now.
Old 08-15-2016, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by mikedub88
The source is me. I work for a supplier. Believe me or don't. I only post because I know. I don't want people getting their hopes up for a new transmission in the TLX when it's not coming for MMC. The problems with the ZF are mostly ironed out now.
Wasn't trying to say you were wrong, just trying to understand. What is MMC BTW?

I'm not sure what Acura and ZF consider "issues". If it's the bad 1-2 and 2-3 shift and lag in downshift then yes they might consider that ironed out now. But the 9-speed (at least my replacement transmission) still behaves in goofy and undesirable ways. The setup is just not right for the TLX. I'd still consider it a glaring weakness and will continue to be something critics point out over and over again. I guess that's why I'm surprised Acura is going to stay with it. The ZF is bad even when operating "correctly".

Last edited by 1Louder; 08-15-2016 at 09:34 AM.
Old 08-15-2016, 01:35 PM
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Wasn't trying to say you were wrong, just trying to understand. What is MMC BTW?

I'm not sure what Acura and ZF consider "issues". If it's the bad 1-2 and 2-3 shift and lag in downshift then yes they might consider that ironed out now. But the 9-speed (at least my replacement transmission) still behaves in goofy and undesirable ways. The setup is just not right for the TLX. I'd still consider it a glaring weakness and will continue to be something critics point out over and over again. I guess that's why I'm surprised Acura is going to stay with it. The ZF is bad even when operating "correctly".
MMC is minor model change or mid model change. Whereas FMC is full model change.
Old 08-15-2016, 04:00 PM
Racer

What is the replacement transmission doing now that's goofy and undesirable?
Old 08-15-2016, 06:52 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts

i agree the worst annoying problems are probably under control, but the ZF is still junk. Worst tranny in any car I have owned or driven, laggy gets confused easily, unpredictable shifts on occasion. I get that high gear trannys are complex, but t this thing is not ready for prime time. The 8 speed ZF in my Audi was flawless, never a laggy, missed or hunting shift. Even my Infiniti 7 speed would only hunt for a head under rare infrequent circumstances, but this 9 speed every day reminds me how bad it is. 2 years left on this lease and counting....
1Louder (08-15-2016)
Old 08-15-2016, 07:16 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by KeithL
i agree the worst annoying problems are probably under control, but the ZF is still junk. Worst tranny in any car I have owned or driven, laggy gets confused easily, unpredictable shifts on occasion. I get that high gear trannys are complex, but t this thing is not ready for prime time. The 8 speed ZF in my Audi was flawless, never a laggy, missed or hunting shift. Even my Infiniti 7 speed would only hunt for a head under rare infrequent circumstances, but this 9 speed every day reminds me how bad it is. 2 years left on this lease and counting....
The 8 ZF doesn't have the same design as the 9. I think ZF got too fancy with the dog clutches.
Old 08-15-2016, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by CaliAtenza
What is the replacement transmission doing now that's goofy and undesirable?
It's not doing anything new, but I think we're just left with the same criticisms that have been there all along that were in addition to the 1-2/2-3 shifting problems.

The 8 ZF doesn't have the same design as the 9. I think ZF got too fancy with the dog clutches.
I'd agree, and I think that manifests itself in some strange behavior. I think the transmission tries to be too smart, and it winds up making slow decisions or just wrong decisions. Acceleration can be strangely disjointed (surge, pause, surge). The transmission often seems at a loss of what gear it wants to be in. Downshifts when passing seem better acceleration seems to strangely fall off. Every now and again I'll get a good "clunk" when going into gear. It's just not what anyone spending this kind of money should expect or deserve.
Old 08-15-2016, 10:49 PM
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts
It's not doing anything new, but I think we're just left with the same criticisms that have been there all along that were in addition to the 1-2/2-3 shifting problems.
My replaced transmissions has not had any, not a single case of harsh shifting...in any gear. So the 1-2/2-3 shifting problems are not problems.

What other issues?
Old 08-16-2016, 08:44 AM

^ Bottom part of post 2171. That's what I observe anyway.
Old 08-16-2016, 09:02 AM
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts
^ Bottom part of post 2171. That's what I observe anyway.
I really haven't had those issues.

Only thing I still see occasionally is the dog clutch delay on passing downshifts, where I hit the accelerator and there is a delay of a half a second or so before the lower gear is engaged.

I thought there was newer software (I already have 16-012 applied) now released to address those downshift issues. Maybe I'm incorrect. Either way, delays based on dog clutch shifts seem inescapable, but it really hasn't been a huge issue for me, and if you know about it, you can adjust your driving to accommodate it.

For me, the flawless acceleration and upshifts, and flawless downshifts (at least in Econ, Normal, and Sport which are all I use) are what I lacked before replacement. The 33 mpg highway mileage is an acceptable tradeoff to me for a car with sub-6 second 0-60 times with very quiet and smooth cruise at 80mph.

Could an 8 speed get close? Probably.

Last edited by neil0311; 08-16-2016 at 09:04 AM.
Old 08-18-2016, 11:15 AM
TLX-S

Received 225 Likes on 172 Posts
after 500 miles on the replacement transmission, no changes in the learning, it's still running just like when I picked it up.
The following 2 users liked this post by wilztlxs:
CPR (08-18-2016), wlkeel (08-18-2016)
Old 08-18-2016, 05:15 PM
Racer

So my August 2015 car is outside of the update range for the transmission software. I had 15-040 done back in March I think and 16-012 doesn't apply for my vehicle. I looked at the TSB with the service manager, together. I probably have the revised transmission in my car. I still have some small niggles, like the transmission being a bit jerky in very low speed/crawling traffic. It's like it cannot decide what gear to be in at very low speeds and wants to get to a higher gear ASAP. But beyond that though, no hard shifts or anything like that. Does anyone here with the new transmission have similar issues?
Old 08-18-2016, 06:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 164 Likes on 115 Posts
So my August 2015 car is outside of the update range for the transmission software. I had 15-040 done back in March I think and 16-012 doesn't apply for my vehicle. I looked at the TSB with the service manager, together. I probably have the revised transmission in my car. I still have some small niggles, like the transmission being a bit jerky in very low speed/crawling traffic. It's like it cannot decide what gear to be in at very low speeds and wants to get to a higher gear ASAP. But beyond that though, no hard shifts or anything like that. Does anyone here with the new transmission have similar issues?
If your vin is outside the replacement range, then it should within the range of 16-012. 16-012 starts where 15-040 ends
Old 08-18-2016, 08:11 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by mondster
If your vin is outside the replacement range, then it should within the range of 16-012. 16-012 starts where 15-040 ends
I'll need to check on 16-012. The manager looked up my VIN in their system and it doesn't show up for the updates...but I'll keep an eye on the transmission and go back again if gets crazy. EDIT: I looked at 16-012 again and it looks like it was initially issued in February of this year. I remember going in for an update at the end of March. I think I might be confusing the two TSB and I probably did have 16-012 applied.

Last edited by CaliAtenza; 08-18-2016 at 08:16 PM.
Old 08-18-2016, 09:16 PM
Burning Brakes

I'll need to check on 16-012. The manager looked up my VIN in their system and it doesn't show up for the updates...but I'll keep an eye on the transmission and go back again if gets crazy. EDIT: I looked at 16-012 again and it looks like it was initially issued in February of this year. I remember going in for an update at the end of March. I think I might be confusing the two TSB and I probably did have 16-012 applied.
Whats your trim and last 4 of vin?
Old 08-19-2016, 03:02 AM
Racer

Whats your trim and last 4 of vin?
Trim is 2wd V6 tech. I can't recall the last 4 of the VIN right now...
Old 08-19-2016, 07:43 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Update to my Transmission issue: Hard Shifting & False Neutrals 2015 CPO FWD TLX Advanced with 5000 Miles that I purchased 4 weeks ago.

The car has now been in the shop 50% of the time that I have owned it. I have officially put more miles on the loaner more than my new car... Yesterday I called the dealer and this is what they said:

"Honda has determined that there is an internal defect in the transmission. Honda has approved a new transmission to be installed, will take about a week."

So I have a car that I haven't even put 1000 miles on and that now needs a new transmission?? I'm beyond pissed, the dealer has been terrible to deal with, they don't call me when they say they would, I have to drive up there and then people run and avoid me, they hide in their offices... I'm so done with Acura over this. (Have owned 3 Acuras, I also have purchased 10 cars over the past 10 years and have never had a problem)

I don't trust this car one bit and I wouldn't have purchased a car that needs a new transmission or just had a new transmission installed. The only thing they can do for me at this point is buy it back from me, I'm done. (They offered to buy it back at a $5000 loss to me, what a scam!)

Last edited by samsausage; 08-19-2016 at 07:46 AM.
Old 08-19-2016, 10:48 AM
Burning Brakes

Trim is 2wd V6 tech. I can't recall the last 4 of the VIN right now...
Not sure when you brought your car in but the initial vin ranges stated in 15-040 between 2wd and awd were interchanged, and has been fixed recently. Id check again with the latest version of 15-040
Old 08-19-2016, 11:24 AM
Racer

Not sure when you brought your car in but the initial vin ranges stated in 15-040 between 2wd and awd were interchanged, and has been fixed recently. Id check again with the latest version of 15-040
I bought my car in September 2015. It's an August 2015 build car. The service manager pulled up 15-040 on his computer through their software and he checked my VIN. It's outside the range.
Old 08-19-2016, 01:02 PM
Burning Brakes

I bought my car in September 2015. It's an August 2015 build car. The service manager pulled up 15-040 on his computer through their software and he checked my VIN. It's outside the range.
He might have checked the vin range when it was still incorrect. I suggest you check again. Look at the latest version of the sb...

My car is an oct 2015 build and its included. Pretty sure yours should be too.
Old 08-19-2016, 08:33 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
They updated the VIN numbers in the latest revision. In the erroneous versions of that TSB, they had the SH-AWD and V6 TLX VIN numbers swapped from what I recall. Here's the latest that I know of :

http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/B15-040.PDF
Old 08-21-2016, 06:19 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by wagsrules
I had the update doe today. So far the transmission is shifting well. I have 230 miles on the update. Hope it sticks but doesn't sound like it will. I got a 16 TLX V6 base as a loaner while they programmed my car. The 16 shifts really well. Has a small lag when down shifting at 60 mph but not as bad as my transmission. Seems to be a second or so quicker when shifting from 9 to 4. On a side note I had complained about the VCM vibration and they told me there was nothing that could be done at this time. Well my vibration is exactly the same as the 2016 loaner car I had. I guess it is the way it is. Its more annoying than anything. I took my car to Zimbrick Acura in Madison WI. I asked the service advisor how many transmissions they have replaced and he told me 0. I don't know if I believe him or maybe he hasn't dealt with any but for the number of TLX's they sell I would think they would have replaced at least one. He tried to play it off that there is nothing wrong with the transmission. It is just always learning. Whatever. I did point out to him that the 2016 shifted perfect from 1-2 and 2-3. He did tell me that after driving the 500 miles and I still have problems to come back and they will look into a replacement. He was aware of the revised TSB.
I'd be interesting in hearing how this goes for you, as Zimbrick is my local dealer. Also curious which service advisor you are working with. Last week I spoke to a woman from Cincinati, OH, who had the harsh 9 speed shifts on her 2015. She said that she was patient but persistent with the dealer, and they did eventually replace the transmission and after that just loved the car.

Just placed a dealer-trade based order for a 2016 TLX Advance to replace my 113K 2009 TSX, to hopefully be delivered next week. The shift delays, particularly 5-4 downshift, are endemic to the design, but after four test drives, I decided that I would rather live with that than downgrade to a 2017 Ford Fusion or pay more for a 2017 Audi A4 (both are very fine cars, and have the full complement of safety technology I decided were musts, but they just weren't for me). The dealer was very competitive on price, as well, and the sales staff are very nice to work with. (On the other hand, the local Lexus dealer folks, as a generalization, seem to be pretty arrogant, and not helpful at all).
Old 08-22-2016, 10:06 AM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by samsausage
Update to my Transmission issue: Hard Shifting & False Neutrals 2015 CPO FWD TLX Advanced with 5000 Miles that I purchased 4 weeks ago.

The car has now been in the shop 50% of the time that I have owned it. I have officially put more miles on the loaner more than my new car... Yesterday I called the dealer and this is what they said:

"Honda has determined that there is an internal defect in the transmission. Honda has approved a new transmission to be installed, will take about a week."

So I have a car that I haven't even put 1000 miles on and that now needs a new transmission?? I'm beyond pissed, the dealer has been terrible to deal with, they don't call me when they say they would, I have to drive up there and then people run and avoid me, they hide in their offices... I'm so done with Acura over this. (Have owned 3 Acuras, I also have purchased 10 cars over the past 10 years and have never had a problem)

I don't trust this car one bit and I wouldn't have purchased a car that needs a new transmission or just had a new transmission installed. The only thing they can do for me at this point is buy it back from me, I'm done. (They offered to buy it back at a $5000 loss to me, what a scam!)
The fact that they are replacing the transmission after 4 weeks of trying is pretty good compared to what some of the members here have experienced. They're going to replace the transmission anyway, so why not try out the new transmission and pick a different dealer to go to after this? Most of the people here have liked the replacement transmission.
Old 08-22-2016, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by samsausage

To echo some of what youngTL said...

Acura just recently got their act together and now have policies and procedures in place to replace bad 2015 transmissions. Since you got a used 2015, it's highly unlikely that previous owner was able to get anything done so you got stuck dealing with the issue. BTW, my TCM failed about 4000 miles into owning mine - car threw itself into park as I was backing out of the driveway. So I feel you pain.

But all that said, most of these 2015's need a transmission replacement anyway so don't feel like you've been singled out. Almost everyone in this thread has had their transmission replaced, myself included. It is, regrettably, par for the course for early build 2015's. But the new transmissions are OK - realize having your car out and dealing with a bad dealership is frustrating, but it will get better.
Old 08-22-2016, 07:45 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Rocketsfan
They updated the VIN numbers in the latest revision. In the erroneous versions of that TSB, they had the SH-AWD and V6 TLX VIN numbers swapped from what I recall. Here's the latest that I know of :

http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/B15-040.PDF
Wouldn't the latest file come up in the dealer's system regardless?
Old 08-22-2016, 07:49 PM
Drifting

Wouldn't the latest file come up in the dealer's system regardless?
You would think so, unless it's not a VIN number problem and just that somehow your car is excluded. Why, I have no idea. I may have missed it, and you may have addressed this, but can you take it to another dealer and ask them?
Old 08-23-2016, 12:49 PM
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts
It is quite possible that another TSB has been applied and that "swept in" the software update that TSB 15-040 calls out. I know that TSB 15-034 does that for which was a letter sent out advising customers bring their vehicles in. (Not a recall, a rose by any other name.....) Might be others as well. Anyway, whenever a TSB is applied that involves software, the software is brought up to the most current level for your vehicle.

Last edited by sbillard; 08-23-2016 at 12:56 PM.
Old 08-23-2016, 12:59 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Rocketsfan
You would think so, unless it's not a VIN number problem and just that somehow your car is excluded. Why, I have no idea. I may have missed it, and you may have addressed this, but can you take it to another dealer and ask them?
I'm gonna be in Arizona next month, so yeah i'll take it to a dealer out there and see if anything comes up.
Old 08-23-2016, 07:37 PM
Drifting

I'm gonna be in Arizona next month, so yeah i'll take it to a dealer out there and see if anything comes up.
Take a printout of the TSB with you and if you're sure your VIN falls in the range, ask them why it isn't applicable since it falls in the range. There may be additional software checks or something.
Old 08-23-2016, 08:44 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Acceleration can be strangely disjointed (surge, pause, surge).
I noticed that, but decided it was fine - it reminds me a bit of watching my brother drive a manual, and during a shift waiting for the gears to sync before engaging the destination gear. The next gear engaged quickly enough that the car didn't seem to slow down - less than 1/2 second. I recall the BMW 328i (it was that or a Mercedes C300 - but I'm pretty sure it was the "bimmer") I drove on a test drive doing something quite similar. Certainly different than the 5 speed in my 2009 TSX, of course, where shifts are lightning fast, up or down.
Old 08-25-2016, 08:18 PM
Pro

Received 197 Likes on 111 Posts
Got the new 9AT!

Just a short update, I got my TLX back today with the new transmission in it. Here are my observations so far:
  • Bump from 2-3 is gone
  • Downshifts are MUCH faster, especially in 90 degree turns. With SHAWD you need to power through corners to get the rear wheels to drive you, and with the old 9AT, it took so long to downshift you were around the corner and straight before any power went to the rear wheels. With the new 9AT, the downshift is immediate and woom! Around the corner we go.
  • Cruising at low speeds seems to be at lower RPM, the sound of the engine is significantly lower in pitch.
So far I am extremely happy. Will post updates as the new 9AT gets broken in and "learns". ;-)
a35tl (08-27-2016)
Old 08-25-2016, 08:47 PM
Pro

Received 197 Likes on 111 Posts
I almost forgot: part number is 06200-5L9-A71RM
Old 08-26-2016, 09:08 AM
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Thank you for the update. Our 15' Advance is currently in for the transmission swap as we speak (crosses fingers).

This has been a LONG time coming. One question for those with the new setup; any surging on downhill runs still?
Old 08-26-2016, 10:53 AM
blah blah blah

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Have over 1200 miles and the transmission still running good, no bumps. There's still a little surging on downhills and stop and go traffic but a lot better then before.
technoarch (08-26-2016)
Old 08-26-2016, 03:04 PM
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I haven't read anyone else reporting TSB-040 worked for them. I had TSB-040 applied to my early 15 TLX V6 PAWS, and I'm happy to report that it's running very well. I'm still not past the 500 mi re-learn, but I don't see replacing the tranny could be significantly better. It's not smooth as silk as say, an MDX, but it's good enough that I don't really have any complaints. There's still a slight hesitation between 2-3 under infrequent circumstances, but nothing to be alarmed about.

So to those that have said the TSB-040 doesn't/didn't work, it worked for me.
Old 08-26-2016, 05:32 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rocket_pup
I haven't read anyone else reporting TSB-040 worked for them. I had TSB-040 applied to my early 15 TLX V6 PAWS, and I'm happy to report that it's running very well. I'm still not past the 500 mi re-learn, but I don't see replacing the tranny could be significantly better. It's not smooth as silk as say, an MDX, but it's good enough that I don't really have any complaints. There's still a slight hesitation between 2-3 under infrequent circumstances, but nothing to be alarmed about.

So to those that have said the TSB-040 doesn't/didn't work, it worked for me.
I am at 3000 since the software update. It has recently started to have harder 1-2 and 2-3 shifts again. I will be making an appointment and hopefully they will replace the transmission.

After the update the 2-3 shift seemed to be delayed and very slow on light throttle. Very annoying to me and I would have almost preferred a harder shift that was quicker. My guess is it was their way to stop the bump. Did anyone else notice this slowed shifting after the update?

Quick Reply: 9AT Hard Shift 1-2 and 2-3