9AT Hard Shift 1-2 and 2-3

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 11:04 AM
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by neil0311
My point was only that Acura may very well be considering a proactive replacement of transmissions based on what I posted. Others disagreed that they would spend the money, and I'm pointing out that costs could be more if they continue to ignore it.

So for the folks who feel Acura is taking a position where they won't replace because it will cost them "too much" to do so, my points are to the contrary.
I carried over my good opinions about Acura from my experience with the last TL and Honda in general. I used to work for AHM, and they care immensely about their reputation. I find it hard to believe they would not do what is reasonable possible to make its customer happy with their vehicles.

Considering I am almost done paying for my TLX and I have over 5 years on an extended warranty and a good size hit in residual value, I think I'll ride it out. My tranny doesn't seem to have the major issues other are reporting which seems odd because they are all made in the same plant in the US. (I have an 08/2014 build also.) I don't know if it was a bad batch of trannies, but I would think I would have gotten one.

It would be nice to hear from other owners that don't seem to have issues to get an idea of how many cars this is effecting.
Old 04-29-2016, 11:38 AM
Old Man Yelling at Clouds

Received 7,362 Likes on 3,906 Posts
Originally Posted by jawstlx2015
I have been reading these posts for a long time now and finally decided to post. As much as I appreciate NJToyMan post, Acura has known about the issue for 1.5 years now. They missed the opportunity to make it right as most of the owners of 2015 TLXs with 9spd transmission are past the frustration period( I am one of them) and now are looking at other cars. The time spend complaining to multiple Acura dealerships, calling ACR, reporting the same issue every visit, getting nonsense software updates has destroyed our confidence in the product. I truly do not really care if Acura fixes the problem or not anymore. Some of us who are on three year leases will be free to choose any car in 1 - 1.5 years. I bet most of us, when our leases expire will not go back to Acura.
I look at it this way - if Acrua replaces my transmission, and the issues are fixed, I would add Acura back to my list of brands to consider although I will still cross-shop Lexus, BMW and Audi for the replacement when the lease is up. If Acura does nothing, it comes off the list of brands to even consider for a long, long time.
Old 04-29-2016, 11:45 AM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by rocket_pup
How does the A4 compare to the TLX in power, size, and price?
Power seems roughly the same, but the delivery is smoother in the Audi due to the 7 speed DCT. Turbo lag is minimal, but probably a bit slower off the line than the Acura when the Audi is not being driven in the Dynamic or Sport mode. 0-60 times in the Quatto version are officially in the upper 5s, but most independent tests show it around 5.3 secs or so.

I was a bit nervous about interior noise, after how quiet the TLX was, but while the Audi is not more quiet than the TLX, it's roughly as quiet. Size feels similar to TLX although back seat space may be slightly better in the Audi.

Interior quality is higher than the TLX. As I mentioned earlier, haven't yet detected a single squeak or rattle, and I'm very particular about that type of noise. As you've probably seen, technology is a step ahead, especially with the Virtual Cockpit. As an example of the technology, my car is at a detailer now getting OptiCoat Pro+ installed now, and I can keep an eye on it on the mobile app. I can see they have opened windows, opened the hood, but most importantly haven't driven it (I set a geofence around their location to notify me when it goes outside that area). The little technology things that were frustrating in the TLX aren't present in the Audi. (Like not being able to go into accessory mode without totally shutting off the car and turning back on. Also the seat heaters and steering wheel heater remember your setting.) The heads up display is gorgeous. I think the only thing I had on the TLX Advance that I don't have now is remote start. That is simply not offered in the Audi.

I'm a big Apple Fanboy and thought it would be great to get CarPlay but I haven't found it useful in the least, primarily due to it being entirely Siri-dependent.

All this comes at a price of course. I'd guess I spent about 8-9K more for the Audi than I did when I bought the 2015 TLX at nearly full MSRP. You can get a small discount on the Audi now, but nothing great since it's so new. I've been a big Acura supporter and liked most everything about the TLX, so not happy to take the hit to the pocketbook. But now that it's all done and behind me, driving around is far more enjoyable and much less stressful.
The following 2 users liked this post by lsbuffs:
2011TL (05-02-2016), Mike_TX (04-30-2016)
Old 04-29-2016, 02:57 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From my standpoint, we as owners / leases should NOT really be concerned with the above. We got Acuras due to their good value and most importantly - RELIABILITY.
I have been loyal to Acura/Honda for two reasons: 1) reliability, 2) pricing/value. I have felt that I always got more bang for my buck with Acura than any other brand. I have had issues with prior TL's (two transmissions replaced in two different TL's), but they have always made it right, and other than those two issues, I have never had any major problems with my Acuras (and not really minor issues either). Also, I have not experienced any of the other current issues you have mentioned in my TLX. The ONLY issue I have is the transmission (I have an Oct 2014 build).

IF they make it right I will definitely look at Acura for my next lease, because I still believe you get more bang for your buck with them than any other brand, which is why I hope they do get this right, because I don't want to go somewhere else, but I will because as you say, if they lose their reliability that is a big hit, and one I will not ignore. Let's go Acura, time to step up to the plate and make this happen.
Old 04-29-2016, 07:20 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by lsbuffs
Power seems roughly the same, but the delivery is smoother in the Audi due to the 7 speed DCT. Turbo lag is minimal, but probably a bit slower off the line than the Acura when the Audi is not being driven in the Dynamic or Sport mode. 0-60 times in the Quatto version are officially in the upper 5s, but most independent tests show it around 5.3 secs or so.

I was a bit nervous about interior noise, after how quiet the TLX was, but while the Audi is not more quiet than the TLX, it's roughly as quiet. Size feels similar to TLX although back seat space may be slightly better in the Audi.

Interior quality is higher than the TLX. As I mentioned earlier, haven't yet detected a single squeak or rattle, and I'm very particular about that type of noise. As you've probably seen, technology is a step ahead, especially with the Virtual Cockpit. As an example of the technology, my car is at a detailer now getting OptiCoat Pro+ installed now, and I can keep an eye on it on the mobile app. I can see they have opened windows, opened the hood, but most importantly haven't driven it (I set a geofence around their location to notify me when it goes outside that area). The little technology things that were frustrating in the TLX aren't present in the Audi. (Like not being able to go into accessory mode without totally shutting off the car and turning back on. Also the seat heaters and steering wheel heater remember your setting.) The heads up display is gorgeous. I think the only thing I had on the TLX Advance that I don't have now is remote start. That is simply not offered in the Audi.

I'm a big Apple Fanboy and thought it would be great to get CarPlay but I haven't found it useful in the least, primarily due to it being entirely Siri-dependent.

All this comes at a price of course. I'd guess I spent about 8-9K more for the Audi than I did when I bought the 2015 TLX at nearly full MSRP. You can get a small discount on the Audi now, but nothing great since it's so new. I've been a big Acura supporter and liked most everything about the TLX, so not happy to take the hit to the pocketbook. But now that it's all done and behind me, driving around is far more enjoyable and much less stressful.
Thanks for the info, I am likely headed away from Acura after the TLX and will likely lease an A4, unless I feel willing to spend more then maybe back to an A6.
Old 04-29-2016, 08:47 PM
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Just a quick update...

We met with the field rep and local dealership shop foreman this morning to test drive our TLX. After driving a little while in various modes, it was still up for the debate as to whether it was significant enough to take any action. On a short drive with no plans to ever ride/drive in the car again, sure, it might be minor to some so that I would agree with but over 3 years of day-to-day driving wouldn't make us happy campers.

The foreman was debating whether using the paddles to isolate the 2-3 gear shift was an accurate way of duplicating the issue. I felt it was because that's the best way to isolate and duplicate the problem over and over without wasting time in the other gears. I drove the entire time and knew the jerk was present whether it was mild or obviously noticeable. In other words, the test drive of our TLX went just as expected. That is, until we drove the 2016 on the lot and we felt the difference side by side. There is WITHOUT A DOUBT the 2016 does not exhibit the same roughness between shifts. 2-3 felt the same as any of the other gear changes, even with using the paddles.

The service department currently has our TLX and is going to work with the tech line to see how to proceed. Whether it is just procedural or not, the district rep did not want to just throw parts on the car in case it does not resolve the issue but he is willing to approve the replacement parts if that is what fixes the issue and restores our faith in the brand. After driving the 2016 again, it doesn't leave any doubt there is indeed a difference with the transmissions/TCMs between the two years.

It's pretty clear we haven't been happy with our TLX experience and we are hoping this is where the issue gets resolved so we can move forward with driving the car like any other Acura we've owned in the past.
Old 04-29-2016, 11:10 PM

^ I'm surprised he didn't think the paddles was an "accurate" way of duplicating the issue. It's perfectly accurate. We bought cars with a Sport+ mode and paddle shifting. So we should be OK with the idea that the transmission is so bad we can't use them?
Old 04-30-2016, 02:24 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by 1Louder
^ I'm surprised he didn't think the paddles was an "accurate" way of duplicating the issue. It's perfectly accurate. We bought cars with a Sport+ mode and paddle shifting. So we should be OK with the idea that the transmission is so bad we can't use them?
I didn't agree either but wasn't going to debate it any further as it wasn't the time and place. He did say that, because the paddles are used, the shifts are different since the computer handles manual shifts differently. (Fact check?) Unless someone can confirm a definitive difference in the shifting program other than what initiates the gear change (paddle or computer), I'm inclined to think that is the only difference but what do I know?

We all know the transmission shifts rough whether it is manually paddle shifted or auto shifted. Sport+ is the only mode that is tolerable and I would hope nobody is okay with being told to not use it. All that is relevant at this point is that the '16 had zero issues with the same Sport+ manual/auto shift and that's all we need to know.
Old 04-30-2016, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by SDSilverM3
I didn't agree either but wasn't going to debate it any further as it wasn't the time and place. He did say that, because the paddles are used, the shifts are different since the computer handles manual shifts differently. (Fact check?) Unless someone can confirm a definitive difference in the shifting program other than what initiates the gear change (paddle or computer), I'm inclined to think that is the only difference but what do I know?

We all know the transmission shifts rough whether it is manually paddle shifted or auto shifted. Sport+ is the only mode that is tolerable and I would hope nobody is okay with being told to not use it. All that is relevant at this point is that the '16 had zero issues with the same Sport+ manual/auto shift and that's all we need to know.
Agree - it just amazes me the degree to which Acrua will just outright lie to customers over this issue. "The transmission is normal", "The transmission is operating as designed", "Paddle shifting isn't accurate". All lies. To me it doesn't matter if the paddles use a different algorithm or not - the shifts are awful (1-2, 2-3) and a "different algorithm" isn't an excuse. I can't use the paddle shifters at all in my car the shifts are so bad. But true you have to pick your battles with these guys.

When I drove the tech in my car I told him I would paddle shift to illustrate the issue. He immediately began rambling on and on about how the paddle shifters were different, why it may not be comparable, right up until the moment I shifted from 2-3. I said, "that's the problem", he just said "oh, OK I see what you mean". I didn't get any more excuses after that.

Yet still it at the end of the day it was "operating as designed".
Old 04-30-2016, 01:17 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Before picking up one of the first 2015 TLX Techs (early September 2014), I previously owned a 2005 TL Tech and a 2010 TL Tech. So… I was quite well acquainted with this Acura series.

Not surprisingly, I was among those who (late 2014) felt that the transmission of the TLX was behaving oddly. Following the early recalls focusing on the “park” brake and transmission were handled by the dealer, the TLX and my own driving habits mutually adapted — except for one nagging problem (below).

I feel that I’m a careful and observant driver…and I use my automobile not for sport but to get me from one place to another as safely and as expeditiously as possible. Consequently, I’m very pleased with the TLX’s many safety features, low interior noise, and ~38mpg on typical trips (many miles at 70 or 80 mph or, a tad over). I’ve had no reason to experiment with any other than “normal” handling!

Although the TLX and I have “learned” to work together for smooth traveling, there remains one problem (a definite safety concern) that I’ve learned to avoid: If cruise control is engaged and the car has commenced descent of a shallow hill, the control does a good job of keeping the car’s speed from deviating greatly from the set speed.

However… if the slope is just a tad steeper, the transmission fails to downshift, the speed rapidly increases (feels like the car is in neutral) and the tachometer skyrockets!!! Seeing that the car is no longer behaving properly, I feel obliged to engage the foot brake. (I now anticipate this behavior by slight braking - deactivates cruise control - at the top of the hill.)

I no longer have my previous TLs with which to compare, but I feel quite confident that under similar circumstances they would have only briefly increased speed with cruise control maintaining the set speed.

Does my memory of the TLs serve me correctly? If so, have others had this experience with the TLX?
Old 04-30-2016, 03:46 PM
Instructor

Received 69 Likes on 35 Posts
Some additional points from my recent conversation with Honda Engineering:

Acura is 100% aware of the issues with the 9-speed in the 2015 TLX, and have been for some time. That is the reason that Acura went back to ZF, and had them fix it. The "fixed" version is what is installed in all 2016 V6 TLX's- and is why most 2016 owners are not complaining (the 2016 transmission is in fact different than the 2015 version).
As far as the long delay to resolution, Acura first wanted to make sure that the transmission was actually fixed; they were able to be more confident of that once the 2016's started rolling out to the public and the feedback was positive.
So, now that they felt pretty good about having things resolved in the 2016's, they began tests of putting the 2016 transmissions in a few 2015's to see if that took care of things. That testing is just now wrapping up, and it will likely be fairly soon that there will be a "factory authorized" solution of replacing the 2015 trans with the 2016 version, via a TSB.

As far as the costs are concerned of replacing all these transmissions (and this is more my thoughts rather than a quote from the Engineering Dept.)- since this is a defective ZF product, rather than an in-house trans from Acura, I would imagine that ZF would be on the hook for a significant portion of the costs of this replacement project- and thus Acura would be even more inclined to "make it right" to their customers if someone else (ZF) is footing the bill.

And not to say that I am totally defending Acura's handling of the situation- but I can somewhat empathize with their position. Years ago, I was an engineer with a major medical manufacturer. When we had issues with our multi-million dollar equipment- and a simple fix was available (sometimes just one line of computer code!)- it used to take a VERY long time to actually bring that fix to market (successful testing and trials; getting clearance from the FDA; creating all necessary documentation including new installation procedures; fulfilling spare part distribution centers; and training repair technicians). And the length of that process very much upset customers and radically affected good will and sales of our products in other areas of the hospitals. It was very tempting to want to "leap frog" the process, but installing a "yet to be approved solution" could have created an even worse situation if it wasn't properly tested; cleared by the FDA; or intelligently and properly rolled out.

I can fully understand the frustration of those with affected transmissions (since I have one of the first 2015 TLX's off the line and had lived with the issues for a long time)- let's hope that this process is coming to a happy conclusion for as many owners as possible, and as soon as possible!
The following 3 users liked this post by NJToyMan:
2011TL (05-02-2016), Curious3GTL (05-01-2016), sbillard (05-01-2016)
Old 04-30-2016, 04:51 PM
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts
Did they provide any details on WHAT the issue was with the original design???? Obviously they made a design change after figuring out some issue.
Old 04-30-2016, 06:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 164 Likes on 115 Posts
How reliable is your source? I really want to believe this but so many of us early owners have been burned so many times about a "fix" that acura is working on.
Old 04-30-2016, 07:10 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by NJToyMan
Some additional points from my recent conversation with Honda Engineering:

I don't buy much of what Acura is telling you... Nothing personal.

Acura is 100% aware of the issues with the 9-speed in the 2015 TLX, and have been for some time. That is the reason that Acura went back to ZF, and had them fix it. The "fixed" version is what is installed in all 2016 V6 TLX's- and is why most 2016 owners are not complaining (the 2016 transmission is in fact different than the 2015 version).

Yet being 100% aware of the situation never stopped them from lying through their teeth for over a year and still to this day. Acura is so deep in this lie they could hire Baghdad Bob and improve their credibility.

There are actually two different 2015 transmissions. It is not even clear if the 2016 transmission is different than later production 2015's. Again another place where Acura is lying about the situation.

As far as the long delay to resolution, Acura first wanted to make sure that the transmission was actually fixed; they were able to be more confident of that once the 2016's started rolling out to the public and the feedback was positive.
So, now that they felt pretty good about having things resolved in the 2016's, they began tests of putting the 2016 transmissions in a few 2015's to see if that took care of things. That testing is just now wrapping up, and it will likely be fairly soon that there will be a "factory authorized" solution of replacing the 2015 trans with the 2016 version, via a TSB.

They've been replacing transmissions for months and it is pretty obvious it fixes the problem. I mean they don't have to be rocket scientist to figure out that replacing a defective transmission with the fixed version actually fixes the problem. Even if there is a factory authorized repair, they will still apply some nebulous criteria to decide who gets one and who does not get one. Same as today. The only thing that will change is that it will officially be defective and now EVERY 2015 will be tainted by an official document from Acura that we have defective cars. I'm sure that will further help my re-sale value. Thanks Acura!

As far as the costs are concerned of replacing all these transmissions (and this is more my thoughts rather than a quote from the Engineering Dept.)- since this is a defective ZF product, rather than an in-house trans from Acura, I would imagine that ZF would be on the hook for a significant portion of the costs of this replacement project- and thus Acura would be even more inclined to "make it right" to their customers if someone else (ZF) is footing the bill.

Many have postulated that ZF is footing part of this bill, but that still has not led Acura to replace more transmissions. Acura will even pay to send engineers across the country, probably spending more on travel and overtime costs than it takes to replace the transmission... just to deny TLX owners a new transmission.

And not to say that I am totally defending Acura's handling of the situation- but I can somewhat empathize with their position. Years ago, I was an engineer with a major medical manufacturer. When we had issues with our multi-million dollar equipment- and a simple fix was available (sometimes just one line of computer code!)- it used to take a VERY long time to actually bring that fix to market (successful testing and trials; getting clearance from the FDA; creating all necessary documentation including new installation procedures; fulfilling spare part distribution centers; and training repair technicians). And the length of that process very much upset customers and radically affected good will and sales of our products in other areas of the hospitals. It was very tempting to want to "leap frog" the process, but installing a "yet to be approved solution" could have created an even worse situation if it wasn't properly tested; cleared by the FDA; or intelligently and properly rolled out.

I can fully understand the frustration of those with affected transmissions (since I have one of the first 2015 TLX's off the line and had lived with the issues for a long time)- let's hope that this process is coming to a happy conclusion for as many owners as possible, and as soon as possible!
Not trying to attack the messenger here... but I think this is just another load of BS from Acura. They have had a viable fix for this for months and have repaired many TLX's. It is almost as if they get some certain amount of enjoyment in denying some customers a repair and authorizing others. I personally sucked up a defective transmission from Honda back in the 90's. I had to dump that car and I swore off Honda after that. I did give in after a Toyota and a BMW. Now here they go again with transmission shenanigans. When will we learn?

When Acura comes clean on this I will believe what this Acura guy told you. They need to send a letter to every 2015 TLX V6 owner and explain the situation and offer each and every 2015 owner either a new transmission, or some attractive trade in value or credit on a 2016. Some owners have gone to Acura to trade in their 2015 TLX to Acura themselves only to be told the car has a defective transmission and they get a crap trade in deal. Talk about getting bent over by Acura.

Acura has really trashed their reputation with many loyal owners, it is not going to be trivial to get it back.
Old 04-30-2016, 07:36 PM
Racer

Replacing a defective component under warranty shouldn't affect resale value. Have you never heard of a recall or voluntary campaign?

I'm not saying what the OP says is correct and true or not, but as I postulated earlier, the cost to replace may already be a sunk cost of they know that early transmissions are going to fail within the warranty period anyway.

Personally, I tend to believe they will do something, but still can't figure why they replaced mine relatively easily, but others get stonewalled, unless they know (as I just mentioned) that a specific VIN range will end up failing within the warranty and they can pay now or later.

Last edited by neil0311; 04-30-2016 at 07:38 PM.
Old 05-01-2016, 07:27 PM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Has anyone in Canada been able to talk to a service manager/ACR and got a tranny replacement? Seems like most tranny replacements are coming from the states.
Old 05-01-2016, 08:33 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by sillyjav
Has anyone in Canada been able to talk to a service manager/ACR and got a tranny replacement? Seems like most tranny replacements are coming from the states.
Toronto, Canada. Took me 11 months to finally get a tranny swap. This whole thing was a nightmare. They even messed up the initial swap. They ordered a new tranny that came with a FWD TCM. As such, it produced a SH-AWD error code. The tech didn't know what to do and calls techline. They then decided to put the old TCM back in as it didn't produce the error code (obviously as it's a SH-AWD TCM). I got my car back and the shift was worst than 10x before. Car felt slower and 2-3 shift actually feels like you got rear ended (no exaggeration). I called to follow up to see what exactly happened. I was told the car drives the same as before the tranny swap and it's like that they told me before; that all 2015 TLX have this normal characteristic. Long story short, I found out at the end there's 2 version of TCM for the new tranny and explained it to my ACR. Then they decided to replace my TCM with the SH-AWD version. ...

I also know of 2 others in Canada that had their tranny swapped. One had the car in for 2-3 months already. His dealership is also running into the TCM issue and is waiting for order a new TCM.
Old 05-01-2016, 11:36 PM
10th Gear

I'm one of them that got the tranny swapped in canada took 2-3 months but my car is still at the dealership.
Old 05-02-2016, 02:13 AM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by samuel002
I'm one of them that got the tranny swapped in canada took 2-3 months but my car is still at the dealership.
Can you tell me who you talked to at burrard acura? And what you had to go through to get them to swap ur tranny?
Old 05-02-2016, 05:46 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocket_man
When Acura comes clean on this I will believe what this Acura guy told you. They need to send a letter to every 2015 TLX V6 owner and explain the situation and offer each and every 2015 owner either a new transmission, or some attractive trade in value or credit on a 2016.

I am betting this never happens. They are never going to mass replace the transmission. They will address this on a case by case basis and then as they have been, resist at all costs, because my guess is ZF is not the only party at fault, and Acura in the end will eat some of the replacement costs. My guess is most people don;t notice the problem, those that do some complain and get it fixed or replaced, others get told it is normal for a 9 speed and are ignorant to fight it.
Old 05-02-2016, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by KeithL
I am betting this never happens. They are never going to mass replace the transmission. They will address this on a case by case basis and then as they have been, resist at all costs, because my guess is ZF is not the only party at fault, and Acura in the end will eat some of the replacement costs. My guess is most people don;t notice the problem, those that do some complain and get it fixed or replaced, others get told it is normal for a 9 speed and are ignorant to fight it.
Acura would only do a mass replace if this were a safety issue and a recall was required. My hope is they'll be more generous towards those that complain about it, not hand out this "its in spec" BS. I'm going to be due for an oil change in a month or so - I'm anxious to go in and complain again and see where it leads.
Old 05-02-2016, 11:59 AM
Burning Brakes

If anyone here from socal was successful in getting their tranny replaced, please provide the dealer name and person they dealt with. Thanks!!!!
Old 05-02-2016, 01:06 PM
Racer

Update-

Our SA just informed us that they got the approval to replace the transmission in our TLX. Here's the catch... It is getting replaced with a 2015 unit with the 2016 "countermeasures" or ie. updates along with a new TCM.

Initially, my gut feeling tells me going that route allows a small chance that the problem doesn't get resolved then we repeat the process yet again. Deeper into the conversation, it was said that the lucky few 2015s were replaced with 2016 transmissions to begin with because this solution wasn't yet available for those earlier replacements.

So although, my initial thoughts are still there, I would like to give them the benefit of the doubt that the early test cases revealed the flaws in the 2015 early production units and Acura now has a solution to quickly address those problem by providing updated/remanufactured 2015 replacements. We should have the car back in a few days and will update on how it drives.
Old 05-02-2016, 01:29 PM
Styl1n

Received 159 Likes on 95 Posts
Update-

Our SA just informed us that they got the approval to replace the transmission in our TLX. Here's the catch... It is getting replaced with a 2015 unit with the 2016 "countermeasures" or ie. updates along with a new TCM.

Initially, my gut feeling tells me going that route allows a small chance that the problem doesn't get resolved then we repeat the process yet again. Deeper into the conversation, it was said that the lucky few 2015s were replaced with 2016 transmissions to begin with because this solution wasn't yet available for those earlier replacements.

So although, my initial thoughts are still there, I would like to give them the benefit of the doubt that the early test cases revealed the flaws in the 2015 early production units and Acura now has a solution to quickly address those problem by providing updated/remanufactured 2015 replacements. We should have the car back in a few days and will update on how it drives.
Does anyone have the part numbers for the revised transmissions and the 2016 ones?
Old 05-02-2016, 01:36 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by kuzdu
Does anyone have the part numbers for the revised transmissions and the 2016 ones?
I asked for it and waiting for the part # on our repair order.

From the previous posts, "06200-5L9-A59RM warranty A/T kit" seems to be the correct part # that addresses the issue. There is also another floating around that I didn't jot down because it didn't resolve the issue from what I remember.
Old 05-02-2016, 01:57 PM
10th Gear

There have been three part numbers in circulation:

1. 06200-5L9-A80RM
2. 06200-5L9-A69RM
3. 06200-5L9-A59RM

According the Acura parts web site, 06200-5L9-A80RM replaced 06200-5L9-A69RM but not 06200-5L9-A59RM. So it seems there are two valid ones : 06200-5L9-A59RM and 06200-5L9-A80RM. I would only assume 06200-5L9-A59RM is for 2015 TLXs and 06200-5L9-A80RM is for 2016.
Old 05-02-2016, 02:22 PM
Burning Brakes

Whatever happened to the class action lawsuit?
Old 05-02-2016, 02:32 PM
10th Gear

Problem is the transmission is not failing. It just shifts roughly.
I believe there would be a problem to warrant class action law suit. This whole transmission problem has been a complete disaster. Again, I have been driving Acuras for a long time and it seems they cannot produce / outsource the transmission which would match the phenomenal engine characteristics. Making one component great (the engine) and the other crap (transmission) makes for horrendous driving experience. If it takes the engine to be not as good and at the same time the transmission to get better I think Acura should consider that path.
Old 05-02-2016, 02:36 PM

Update-

This would make business sense for Acura - a 2015 with applied "countermeasures" allows them to refurbish used 2015 trannys which means they can almost replace and recycle, as opposed to providing new 2016's and having to basically throw away the 2015's. Which also means they may lower the bar and allow more people a replacement.
Old 05-02-2016, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by mondster
Whatever happened to the class action lawsuit?
Problem is the transmission is not failing. It just shifts roughly.
I believe there would be a problem to warrant class action law suit. This whole transmission problem has been a complete disaster. Again, I have been driving Acuras for a long time and it seems they cannot produce / outsource the transmission which would match the phenomenal engine characteristics. Making one component great (the engine) and the other crap (transmission) makes for horrendous driving experience. If it takes the engine to be not as good and at the same time the transmission to get better I think Acura should consider that path.
I'm not a lawyer, but seems like someone has to be harmed to justify a class action. Given there is no known safety issue causing harm, the only other place to look would be lower resale value. However it would have be proven there was a quantifiable drop in resale value directly attributable to this issue. That would be extremely difficult to prove and would require data that isn't available in sufficient quantity for another 3-4 years at best.

In 2002 I bought a Honda Civic Hybrid and wound up being part of a class action lawsuit based on the car not getting the MPG that Honda advertised. It was probably not until 2008 or 2009 when I got a check, and it was for $50.

So while it's possible, it would be years from now and the payouts would likely be very small.
Old 05-02-2016, 02:46 PM
Styl1n

1. 06200-5L9-A80RM
2. 06200-5L9-A69RM
3. 06200-5L9-A59RM

According the Acura parts web site, 06200-5L9-A80RM replaced 06200-5L9-A69RM but not 06200-5L9-A59RM. So it seems there are two valid ones : 06200-5L9-A59RM and 06200-5L9-A80RM. I would only assume 06200-5L9-A59RM is for 2015 TLXs and 06200-5L9-A80RM is for 2016.
hmm i wonder if they are identical. i drove a 2016 awd this weekend and it shifts and behaves exactly like mines, except my throttle and response is better because of my light weight crank pulley.
Old 05-02-2016, 08:13 PM
Styl1n

1. 06200-5L9-A80RM
2. 06200-5L9-A69RM
3. 06200-5L9-A59RM

Mine replacement was A58RM my shifts are non existent smooth as glass. They didn't change Tcm but they did update with the latest software. I don't know why all replacements are different
Old 05-02-2016, 08:44 PM
Racer

1. 06200-5L9-A80RM
2. 06200-5L9-A69RM
3. 06200-5L9-A59RM

Here is the info from my replacement. The part was 06200-5L9-A59RM. I'm wondering if the "RM" stands for "remanufactured" or something else. Anyone know?

Old 05-02-2016, 10:00 PM
Instructor

My part number seems to be different from those posted previously. Here is my paperwork:

Old 05-02-2016, 10:39 PM
Racer

My part number seems to be different from those posted previously. Here is my paperwork:
Is yours FWD or AWD?
Old 05-02-2016, 11:16 PM
Instructor

My car is a very early build FWD.
Old 05-03-2016, 06:37 AM
Styl1n

My car is a very early build FWD.
Mine is fwd drive as well and a early build. Is the 59 a later build or for awd? Also I wonder why some are getting new tcm's and some don't require it?
Old 05-03-2016, 07:31 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by kuzdu
Mine is fwd drive as well and a early build. Is the 59 a later build or for awd? Also I wonder why some are getting new tcm's and some don't require it?
Mine is AWD. My guess, and it's only that, is that's the difference. Mine was built 9/14.
Old 05-03-2016, 12:36 PM
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by neil0311
Mine is AWD. My guess, and it's only that, is that's the difference. Mine was built 9/14.
I have the SH-AWD and my transmission was replaced with 06200-5L9-A80RM. Everything is great with it for the most part that I can tell. Depends on how aggressive I am on the throttle, but I can sometimes notice a small shift but no hesitations or bumps at all. A lot of it is probably just my brain expecting it to happen. Throttle response is still a little slow sometimes, but I think that's the usual case people have talked about with it trying to find the right way to get from gear 8/9 to 5/4 when I stomp on it to pass someone.
Old 05-03-2016, 12:46 PM
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Forgot to mention, mine was MDF 02/15.

Quick Reply: 9AT Hard Shift 1-2 and 2-3