TLX to keep ELS Audio

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 01:37 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts
TLX to keep ELS Audio

Not sure if this is standard across all trim lines or if an upgrade is available but at least they're not ditching it!

http://news.gnom.es/pr/acura-and-els...formances-tour
Old 03-13-2014, 01:04 PM
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts
IMO, they should ditch it and let the music sound natural as opposed to processing the signal via ELS.
Old 03-13-2014, 05:42 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
I find ELS as one of the better sound systems in a car, very tight and very accurate sound. Better than many of its competitors and a bargain for the price.
The following users liked this post:
Corey_Straker (04-17-2014)
Old 03-13-2014, 06:36 PM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

Received 345 Likes on 253 Posts
Well, at least they could get some better quality speakers, better construction with better quality acoustic specific high end material, like the Infinity Kappa or something like that. What I have in my '09TL are dirt cheap $10 speakers. Not to mention that the front door ones have gone to the dogs twice!
Old 03-14-2014, 04:57 PM
Drifting

Received 565 Likes on 364 Posts
I agree with Keith as to the quality of the ELS system. It's a really fine-sounding OEM sound system at a price that's not ridiculous. A few years ago (about 2010) Edmunds picked ELS as the winner of its luxury car sound system shootout. People who have ridden in my car are blown away, especially when playing a DVD A. So far (knock on wood) no issues with mine; typical Acura quality and reliability. I've listened to supposed "upgrade" sound systems in a few other luxury cars and they have been a joke compared to ELS.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:02 PM
Suzuka Master

I would go as far as to say that probable the Lexus ML system and maybe Audi B&O ($6K!!!) maybe sound better, maybe. The Hyundai Lexicon is not bad, but honestly the ELS is very tight. I think the Krell in the RLX is a marketing thing, but honestly Acura should have offered a Krell option for the RLX.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 498 Likes on 249 Posts
no complaints about the current gen ELS system, in fact is freakin amazing for a oem stock unit.
Old 03-14-2014, 07:04 PM
Drifting

Received 565 Likes on 364 Posts
Originally Posted by KeithL
I would go as far as to say that probable the Lexus ML system and maybe Audi B&O ($6K!!!) maybe sound better, maybe. The Hyundai Lexicon is not bad, but honestly the ELS is very tight. I think the Krell in the RLX is a marketing thing, but honestly Acura should have offered a Krell option for the RLX.

I listened to the Krell system at our auto show, using BT and HD radio. Hard to say in that setting, and did not listen back to back with other systems, but it sounded pretty damn good.
Old 03-14-2014, 07:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
I agree with you guys....I think the ELS system is quite amazing for an OEM system. I am not sure if its the components themselves (head unit and speakers) or mainly on the location of the speakers and acoustics of the vehicle. I think many have state that the speakers are not overly expensive, yet they say pretty amazing. I would argue that after playing with the settings of the RDX, I feel the sound is even better than that of my TL.

I have not heard the Krell system but I would be curious to do an A/B comparison.

As JM2010 stated, the DVD-A is amazing....I have one from Emmylou Harris and it is short of having Emmylou sit in the front seat and sing in my ears. *lol*
Old 03-14-2014, 10:11 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
For an OEM system, the ELS system is definitely one of the better standard systems out there. Component wise, it may not be super high-end, but the sum of the parts is a solid system with decent sound staging, good sound reproduction, and enough bass to be felt.

I look forward to seeing it in the TLX.
VR1 (03-15-2014)
Old 03-16-2014, 01:21 PM
King of NYC

Received 216 Likes on 153 Posts
My car is a 2006. When I first bought the car I was looking forward the ELS system, 5.1 DVD-A etc. etc. the system had good reviews and hype. Within a month I realized it sucks. I am not a fan at all of it because it sounds muddy. There is not enough high end sparkle, the sub is weak and worst of all the mids are non existent. I have since done quite a few upgrades on it to cure those areas and it sounds 1000x better, 3 amps, every speaker replaced, subs etc. But I didn't change anything regarding sound processing and it still has fundamental flaws. And the XM reception sounds like an AM radio, as if it's on a narrow bandwidth. I used to think that's just the way XM is. Nope, been in many cars and none sound as bad. Even my cousin's stock Maxima has a MUCH better system. The only good thing I can say about the ELS is that it's easy to use and looks nice, that's it.

I don't know how subsequent generations may have improved but ELS in my opinion is hyped up and I wish for something totally different in the TLX. I dunno, maybe I'm spoiled by my Polk home system and my Sennheiser headphones. I'm an audiophile so once you know the difference in good sound you can't go back.

But it's not just about brands. I have seen all the Bose and Mark Levinsons and not been impressed. What's in those systems to cost $6k, gosh gimmie a break. Rather build my own system at that price. Yet I have been in cars with just a STOCK system and it sounds amazing at that price point. I don't mind paying extra for an audio upgrade, but it's got to be worth it. And I'd rather hear it first hand, everyone's ears are different.

Last edited by rockyfeller; 03-16-2014 at 01:26 PM.
Old 03-16-2014, 05:54 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
ELS Studio uses some pretty decent drivers in the RLX, titanium and polypropylene are what many aftermarket systems use. Assuming the TLX is similar, its going to be a step forward over previous TL ELS systems:

2014 ELS Studio/RLX System highlights:
  • Hybrid, Titanium Dome Tweeters reproduce a wide frequency range and low distortion
  • 8cm Super Dynamic Range Speaker with double press polypropylene cone providing low distortion and extended bass
  • 17cm Super Dynamic Range Speakers in the front and rear door featuring extremely lightweight designs
  • 20cm Super Low Distortion Driver (SLDD) Subwoofer with extended bass response
  • Multi-Channel Power Amplifier with 588 watts and powerful DSP for sound quality enhancements and independent control of front and rear door tweeters
JM2010 SH-AWD (03-16-2014)
Old 03-18-2014, 09:05 AM
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Colin
ELS Studio uses some pretty decent drivers in the RLX, titanium and polypropylene are what many aftermarket systems use. Assuming the TLX is similar, its going to be a step forward over previous TL ELS systems:

2014 ELS Studio/RLX System highlights:
  • Hybrid, Titanium Dome Tweeters reproduce a wide frequency range and low distortion
  • 8cm Super Dynamic Range Speaker with double press polypropylene cone providing low distortion and extended bass
  • 17cm Super Dynamic Range Speakers in the front and rear door featuring extremely lightweight designs
  • 20cm Super Low Distortion Driver (SLDD) Subwoofer with extended bass response
  • Multi-Channel Power Amplifier with 588 watts and powerful DSP for sound quality enhancements and independent control of front and rear door tweeters
I kept an RLX with the Krell system for a week and wasn't impressed by the sound. I'm bias though because I always do atermarket systems.
Old 03-18-2014, 10:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by Brew0360
I kept an RLX with the Krell system for a week and wasn't impressed by the sound. I'm bias though because I always do atermarket systems.
The Krell system is like listening to Quads or Magneplanars. They seem to focus on accuracy over quantity. Bass response for example is very linear as far down as it will go, but does not go 'mushy' just to hit 30 Hz. They seem to have decided that if 40 Hz is the lower limit, then that's it.
Old 03-24-2014, 03:40 PM
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 24 Posts
I'm a fine of the ELS system. I have had every generation of TL out there including a 2Gen and 3Gen S type. For some reason, the 3Gen sound was the one I liked the least. The sub-woofer bottomed out too easily. Otherwise, it was pretty decent. I did buy the 3gen used so it could have been sub-par woofer installed. A friend of mine has a 3g none type S and that system sounded better than my Type S 3g. I had a 07 type S and the other car was a 05.
Old 03-24-2014, 04:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 498 Likes on 249 Posts
Originally Posted by Brew0360
IMO, they should ditch it and let the music sound natural as opposed to processing the signal via ELS.
you dont have to enable DTS infact its usually off out of the factory... still sounds great without it on..
Old 03-24-2014, 05:27 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by keith7120
I'm a fine of the ELS system. I have had every generation of TL out there including a 2Gen and 3Gen S type. For some reason, the 3Gen sound was the one I liked the least. The sub-woofer bottomed out too easily. Otherwise, it was pretty decent. I did buy the 3gen used so it could have been sub-par woofer installed. A friend of mine has a 3g none type S and that system sounded better than my Type S 3g. I had a 07 type S and the other car was a 05.
I loved my Type-S and the reason I traded for 4G was I was sick of the anemic ELS in the 3G, great sound just no power. The 4G and newer ELS implementations are very good.
Old 03-25-2014, 12:40 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wonder if could use the krell speakers, instead of replacing with the els speakers time and time again under warranty.
Old 03-25-2014, 08:10 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
While the ELS system was a huge upgrade over the shitty Bose in the 2nd gen it is by no means great. I have heard better sounds from Ford, and Chrystler minivans. The base Lexicon in the Genesis is far better IMO then there is the premium lexicon 7.1 which to me sounded much better than the Krell.
rockyfeller (04-29-2014)
Old 03-25-2014, 10:06 AM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Marketing names is all that crap is... Pull off the panels and the shit speakers that are used and marked up so much in the premium sound system add ons is sickening...

I wish a automaker would for once (pipedream) take real speakers not some cheap Chinese run, and outfit the cars with them, backed up by a descent headunit/navunit and amp. Stop wasting all this money in the R&D of these propriety systems, use what exists and is 10x better than any existing tech (oh wait don't wanna pay licensing fees I get it)...

Alas as I said its a pipe dream and the current shift to these unusual shapes/designs makes it extremely difficult to do aftermarket installations what so ever without some serious full custom work as opposed to pop trim and replace.

Least we can still replace the shitty speakers with something of better quality albeit the source device doesn't change much its almost pointless.
Old 03-25-2014, 11:14 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
While the ELS system was a huge upgrade over the shitty Bose in the 2nd gen it is by no means great. I have heard better sounds from Ford, and Chrystler minivans. The base Lexicon in the Genesis is far better IMO then there is the premium lexicon 7.1 which to me sounded much better than the Krell.
What makes a Frod sound better? I find that hard to believe. I have heard a fair amount of car audio systems and many people think because a sound system can go loud or bang our bass they think it is good. The ELS has very tight reproduction and the bass does not sound as loud because it is not muddy/boomy like many system create.

And example is I just added a Sony CT660 sound bar to the TV in our exercise room and when you listen to that you think it sounds great, but the bass is all muddy and inaccurate, meanwhile my SVS Sub that bangs out over 750 watts butt most people may think it sounds weak, because the bass is tight and accurate, you feel it more than hear it.
Jrvtecaccord (05-13-2014)
Old 03-26-2014, 04:45 PM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
The TLX will still have an ELS system but will it have support for DVD-A? The RLX doesn't have DVD-A on any trim levels and Acura pulled it out of the MDX.
To me, the ELS without DVD-A is nothing special.
Old 03-26-2014, 07:20 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Cygnus_X1
The TLX will still have an ELS system but will it have support for DVD-A? The RLX doesn't have DVD-A on any trim levels and Acura pulled it out of the MDX.
To me, the ELS without DVD-A is nothing special.
I doubt it as the RDX and RLX have dropped DVD-A and I would assume so has the MDX as will the TLX.
Old 03-26-2014, 07:27 PM
Suzuka Master

^^ I assume you meant MDX and not RDX?? Mine has the DVD-A
Old 03-26-2014, 08:04 PM
Drifting

Received 241 Likes on 165 Posts
Isnt DVD-A pretty much a dead format ?
rockyfeller (04-29-2014)
Old 03-26-2014, 11:20 PM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by SilverJ
Isnt DVD-A pretty much a dead format ?
It still has a faint heartbeat, plus there are a ton of DVD-A's out there. Problem is, how do you have this great ELS audio system if you don't have any way to feed it 5.1 HD audio? It astounds me that the RLX has 2 different ELS systems AND the Krell...with no way to input 5.1 HD audio other than maybe DTS CD's. You defeat the entire purpose.
Old 03-27-2014, 05:42 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by weather
^^ I assume you meant MDX and not RDX?? Mine has the DVD-A
I thought they dropped it in the RDX too? I wonder if because it is the old head unit that it still has DVD-A.
Old 03-27-2014, 07:14 AM
Drifting

Received 241 Likes on 165 Posts
Originally Posted by Cygnus_X1
It still has a faint heartbeat, plus there are a ton of DVD-A's out there. Problem is, how do you have this great ELS audio system if you don't have any way to feed it 5.1 HD audio? It astounds me that the RLX has 2 different ELS systems AND the Krell...with no way to input 5.1 HD audio other than maybe DTS CD's. You defeat the entire purpose.
I hear you, but I think the stock system sounds pretty damn good WITHOUT having DVD-A. Of course DVD-A sounds better, but blu rays look better than compressed cable HDTV, it doesn't mean you still can't enjoy the TV watched Cable HDTV.
Old 03-27-2014, 07:54 AM
I spend 2 much time here

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally Posted by IrishTR
Marketing names is all that crap is... Pull off the panels and the shit speakers that are used and marked up so much in the premium sound system add ons is sickening...

I wish a automaker would for once (pipedream) take real speakers not some cheap Chinese run, and outfit the cars with them, backed up by a descent headunit/navunit and amp. Stop wasting all this money in the R&D of these propriety systems, use what exists and is 10x better than any existing tech (oh wait don't wanna pay licensing fees I get it)...

Alas as I said its a pipe dream and the current shift to these unusual shapes/designs makes it extremely difficult to do aftermarket installations what so ever without some serious full custom work as opposed to pop trim and replace.

Least we can still replace the shitty speakers with something of better quality albeit the source device doesn't change much its almost pointless.
agreed
Old 03-27-2014, 02:54 PM
Suzuka Master

I thought they dropped it in the RDX too? I wonder if because it is the old head unit that it still has DVD-A.
Maybe? All I know is that the RDX has the DVD-A and it sounds pretty sweet! It is too bad that the digital age and compressed files too over the world by storm and deprived many listeners what 5.1 uncompressed sound can be...

Oh well....
Old 03-28-2014, 03:33 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
I am happy they are returning the ELS. I agree it is a very nice system for the money and certainly satisfies my ears in the car. I don't NEED anything better, as I am not in the car long enough for it to matter THAT much. I have a nice tube audio system at home when I do critical listening. Not worth duping 5K or more in a car system that will reside in a noisy car.
Old 03-31-2014, 12:28 AM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
Good. The ELS in my old '11 is still the best OEM system I've owned, and the only one I didn't feel the need to upgrade. Better than the current B&O system in my current car. Much better, in fact.
Old 04-10-2014, 06:39 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by weather
Maybe? All I know is that the RDX has the DVD-A and it sounds pretty sweet! It is too bad that the digital age and compressed files too over the world by storm and deprived many listeners what 5.1 uncompressed sound can be...

Oh well....
Please explain to me where you are getting uncompressed non-digital 5.1 sound from!
Old 04-14-2014, 02:01 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by andvari
Please explain to me where you are getting uncompressed non-digital 5.1 sound from!

I think op was referring to non mp3 type compression.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:20 AM
Racer

Received 234 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by Colin
The Krell system is like listening to Quads or Magneplanars. They seem to focus on accuracy over quantity. Bass response for example is very linear as far down as it will go, but does not go 'mushy' just to hit 30 Hz. They seem to have decided that if 40 Hz is the lower limit, then that's it.
This is very true. It's got great accuracy all through the volume even at 40 (it's limits). It just has NO base.

Originally Posted by RYANJR1
I wonder if could use the krell speakers, instead of replacing with the els speakers time and time again under warranty.
Replace your speakers with the ones from 2012+ I believe that's something they fixed in the MMC.

I doubt it as the RDX and RLX have dropped DVD-A and I would assume so has the MDX as will the TLX.
The RDX still has the ability to play DVD-A, we still give out the demo DVD-A discs for customers to try. The RLX and MDX have both dropped the ability to play DVD-A unless you use the Rear entertainment system to play it through the MDX. That's the only way to my knowledge.
Old 04-17-2014, 07:41 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
Will I still be able to play cassette tapes???
Old 04-17-2014, 09:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 164 Likes on 115 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocketsfan
Will I still be able to play cassette tapes???
Yes. And you can also get the entertainment package with a vhs and laser disc player
Old 04-18-2014, 10:58 AM
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 99 Posts
Obviously those of you who believes the ELS sounds good have never had the please of listing to a proper car stereo. Comparing the ELS in my TSX to my GMC Acadia Bose system. The Bose beats it on every level! And that's say a lot since I don't even care for the Bose system either. All of my past vehicles I have always replaced the stock stereo with aftermarket. Once you run brands like Alpine, Audison, Dynaudio, JL Audio, Morel, Pioneer, Precision Power, Phoenix Gold & Zapco. Nothing in a stock form will ever be pleasing to listen to. And I'm not talking about ghetto bass.
rockyfeller (04-29-2014)
Old 04-18-2014, 11:21 AM
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 99 Posts
For reference measure performance for performance in these pictures. ELS vs .........

ELS amp

Aftermarket 5 Channel amp

ElS Plastic speaker against Danish speaker
Attached Thumbnails TLX to keep ELS Audio-s.jpg   TLX to keep ELS Audio-s3.jpg   TLX to keep ELS Audio-s1.jpg  

Last edited by evo9; 04-18-2014 at 11:24 AM.
Old 04-18-2014, 02:28 PM
I spend 2 much time here

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts
i hear you evo9, i dont get why automotive companies cant sell cars that come even remotely close to what has been available int he aftermarket for ages now.

Quick Reply: TLX to keep ELS Audio