Negotiating toll booths

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2017, 12:30 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Negotiating toll booths

I can find no way to have the navigation program stop telling me to take the right-hand (cash) lane at toll booths. I find this very annoying... particularly since I'm warned quite some distance from the booth that I should be taking the next right turn!

I have a pass that assesses tolls electronically and there is no need for me to take the cash lane.

How can this annoyance be disabled?
Old 08-14-2017, 02:36 PM
6 Forward 1 Back

Received 312 Likes on 155 Posts
Try messing with the Route Preference settings and toggle the Toll Roads or ETC Roads to "Min" if they're set to "Max".
Old 08-15-2017, 08:59 AM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Speed_Racer
Try messing with the Route Preference settings and toggle the Toll Roads or ETC Roads to "Min" if they're set to "Max".
Good suggestion! Will give it a "try!" Dealer, however, said he didn't think there was a solution as he's got the same annoyance...
Old 08-15-2017, 10:00 AM
6 Forward 1 Back

Received 312 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally Posted by nhester
Good suggestion! Will give it a "try!" Dealer, however, said he didn't think there was a solution as he's got the same annoyance...
I'm not sure which part of the country you're at, but where I live in California with the default "Toll" settings it doesn't steer you towards the cash lanes for our toll bridges that have dedicated electronic toll lanes. Granted that might just be how it's mapped on the Navi maps, but it doesn't seem to distinguish electronic collection vs cash lanes here.
Old 08-15-2017, 10:07 AM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
Workaround Easy. Ignore issue.
Old 09-15-2017, 10:49 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
I'm a bit late to this discussion, but I honestly think this is probably because it thinks you're on a "feeder road" next to the tollway or something. Are you sure it even thinks you're on the toll road? I ask because this happens to me sometimes and it starts telling me to take a right turn because instead of realizing I'm doing 70+ on a freeway/toll road, it thinks I'm on the access/feeder road next to it. I think it's the car/navi/whatever that's squirrely. I've had it happen to me a couple of times in Dallas (where I don't need to use the navi much) and also in Houston while on freeways.
Old 09-16-2017, 11:05 AM
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts
It is even worse now that these toll booths are not even in operation (CA highway 73) and even without the pass you don't go through them. But someday (soon?) they will be removed. Of course the maps will not get that update for eons.
Old 01-05-2018, 11:51 AM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
I assume the issue here is something different: I assume it's trying to route you to the cash lanes because not everyone has a transponder, similar to the way it doesn't route you onto HOV lanes or reversible roads because of the possibility that you might not qualify for the HOV restriction or the road might be running the other way.

On our trip to Florida last week, the TLX Navi sent us to the ORT (SunPass) lanes and not to the cash lanes. Oddly, though, it told us to "exit left" onto the highway we were already on. In my mind, it's the cash users who have to "exit" to the right to stop at the toll plaza while the SunPass users continue through at full highway speed.
Old 01-05-2018, 12:05 PM
Drifting

Received 849 Likes on 605 Posts
Or just move to Utah where we balance our budget and build roads with cash instead of debt. That way you don't have to deal with toll roads. No, I'm kidding. Stay away from Utah. We have too many damn people moving in as it is. Especially people from Socal. "Socal 4 lyfe!". Then move to Utah. WTF?

When I drove to Cali with my TL I could never figure out how to program the navi to avoid tolls. I just used google maps, which is excellent at avoiding toll roads if you tell it to.