iOS 12 - Text Messages Not Coming Through

Old 10-02-2018, 09:36 PM
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
iOS 12 - Text Messages Not Coming Through

Since upgrading to iOS 12 the text message alert isn't coming through anymore in my car. Anyone else having a problem with this or have a fix? Calls are perfectly fine, but I don't get an alert on my screen or the option to have the car read my text out to me anymore.

I've already disabled the do not disturb while driving feature so I know it's not that.

Car is a 2017 TLX SH-AWD Tech.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 10-03-2018, 01:27 PM
CPR
Burning Brakes

Received 277 Likes on 144 Posts
My 2018 TLX/A-SPEC SH-AWD, is right on, paired with my IPhone SE 128GB/TMobile
Old 10-03-2018, 01:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,574 Likes on 6,625 Posts
un-pair and re-pair your phone.
Old 10-04-2018, 02:29 PM
Pro

I had this issue also and somehow it fixed itself.

This is through he actual car not with carplay.
Old 10-05-2018, 01:19 AM
6th Gear

I tried unpairing, didn’t work. I hope mine fixes itself. Yes, through the car. My Acura doesn’t have CarPlay. It’s extremely frustrating...I’m debating rolling back my iOS just for this.
Old 10-08-2018, 12:09 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
Your download may have changed some settings. Ensure your Bluetooth connection is set to Show Notifications.
Old 10-09-2018, 04:33 PM
Pro

Received 181 Likes on 73 Posts
Having all sorts of issues with CarPlay in my '18 TLX. It says that my iPhone X (iOS 12) is not compatible and that it can't be charged. Can't use Apple Maps, or WAZE or Google Maps. Can't control my Podcasts or music, other than to use the rudimentary controls on the steering column to go forward or back. Tried everything....unpairing/repairing, new APPLE lightning cable, tried calling Acura Customer support. Can't even get a "hello" from them, usually after holding on for 20 minutes or so.

Apple Genius says everything checks out on their side. Acura dealership really doesn't know what to do (they keep telling me the cable needs to be replaced....which I've done....twice).

It works just fine with my son's 2 year old GTI.

I think this is just the tip of the iceberg with CarPlay issues with Acura. They need to admit they have a problem. And, then tell us when it will be fixed.
Old 10-09-2018, 11:33 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by graphicguy
Having all sorts of issues with CarPlay in my '18 TLX. It says that my iPhone X (iOS 12) is not compatible and that it can't be charged. Can't use Apple Maps, or WAZE or Google Maps. Can't control my Podcasts or music, other than to use the rudimentary controls on the steering column to go forward or back. Tried everything....unpairing/repairing, new APPLE lightning cable, tried calling Acura Customer support. Can't even get a "hello" from them, usually after holding on for 20 minutes or so.

Apple Genius says everything checks out on their side. Acura dealership really doesn't know what to do (they keep telling me the cable needs to be replaced....which I've done....twice).

I think this is just the tip of the iceberg with CarPlay issues with Acura. They need to admit they have a problem. And, then tell us when it will be fixed.
I don't think your issue is the norm. I have an IPhone 7, which of course doesn't charge wirelessly (Which I knew), but as I have it plugged in for Apple Car Play when I'm in the vehicle, it really is a non issue. Everything else works as intended. As for Waze and Google Maps and Apple Maps, do you have the icons on your screen and they don't open, or is it something else? Does anything work? Have you tried pairing another earlier version I Phone to see what works. You can then at least narrow down the potential issues.
Old 10-10-2018, 01:15 AM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I've been having issues too with CarPlay since I've gotten the XS Max. I have 3 different charging cables (1 is the original apple cable and 2 off brand cables). For awhile the apple cable was working fine but then it started coming up with the error screen that the device is not compatible, please check owners manual. On that screen, I can't do anything with CarPlay but the handsfree link still works, Only way to get out of that screen is to restart the car. (I wish there was a way to restart the infotainment system while the car was on)

I tried the other 2 cables and one of them also has issues, but the other has worked fine. It seems weird to me that all of the cables are able to charge the phone when it's plugged into the cigarette lighter usb adapter but only 1 of the cable consistently works with CarPlay. I have a feeling it might be the phone and Acura system compatibility issue because if I turn on and off my phone and use the apple cable, it'll sometimes work.
Old 10-10-2018, 07:27 AM
Pro

Received 181 Likes on 73 Posts
It just doesn’t work with my iPhone X. Now, reports from iPhone X’s. So, sounds like Acura is having issues with the latest models with Car Play.

Nothing works.....only Bluetooth and wireless charging. I have all the WAZE, Apple Maps, Google Maps, loaded on my phone. Acura screen says that the “Connected USB device is incompatible”. So, if Car Play is working with the SE and 7, sounds like it’s an Acura issue with at least the X and Xs.

I have heard from a couple of other people on another site that they’re experiencing the same issues. So, it’s definitely an Acura issue.

Not a major issue, but playing my music through bluetooth isn’t nearly as good as it is with a direct USB connection. Plus, missing my apps (like WAZE) for GPS isn’t all that good either.

Acura shouldn’t advertise CarPlay as a feature if it doesn’t work as designed.
Old 10-10-2018, 11:02 PM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Don't think it's just an Acura problem. Might be an Apple problem since it seems like Audi's are having issues too https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8565708
Old 10-14-2018, 10:49 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TAG18
Don't think it's just an Acura problem. Might be an Apple problem since it seems like Audi's are having issues too https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8565708
Agreed, I googled various cars including BMW and Mercedes and found lots of issues, particularly with reference to the I Phone 10, although other versions are affected.
Old 10-20-2018, 09:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 383 Likes on 239 Posts
Any updates on this issue? Upgraded to IOS 12 last week and since then, no text messages come through on my '16 TLX Advance. I've tried several things to no avail.
Old 10-25-2018, 01:45 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by a35tl
Any updates on this issue? Upgraded to IOS 12 last week and since then, no text messages come through on my '16 TLX Advance. I've tried several things to no avail.
Nope, mine still doesn't work. I've tried just about everything I can find online (unpairing, hard reboots, etc.)

If you find something that works, please let me know. I'll ask my dealer next time I'm in, but I highly doubt they'll have any answers for me.

Old 10-25-2018, 09:50 PM
Instructor

Received 69 Likes on 35 Posts
Try checking a setting on your phone:
Settings > Face ID & Passcode

Scroll down to the section "Allow Access When Locked"

Make sure "USB Accessories" switch is turned on

If this switch is turned "off", then the cable connection will not work if the iPhone has been locked for more than one hour.

I believe that this switch is defaulted to "off" when IOS12 is first installed. At least it was for me, and all my connection issues disappeared when I turned (and left) the switch to "on". Before this fixed the problem, I guess the reason my cables "randomly worked" just had to do with whether or not I had previously unlocked my iPhone in the past hour or not.
Old 10-27-2018, 07:26 PM
6 Forward 1 Back

Received 312 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally Posted by mapleloaf
Agreed, I googled various cars including BMW and Mercedes and found lots of issues, particularly with reference to the I Phone 10, although other versions are affected.
Just to throw this out there, I'm using an iPhone Xs Max with no issues at all. iOS version 12.0.1. on Verizon. I was also using a 10 since September last year with no issues so I'm not sure if it's specific to a model of phone.
Old 10-27-2018, 07:28 PM
6 Forward 1 Back

Received 312 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally Posted by TAG18
I've been having issues too with CarPlay since I've gotten the XS Max. I have 3 different charging cables (1 is the original apple cable and 2 off brand cables). For awhile the apple cable was working fine but then it started coming up with the error screen that the device is not compatible, please check owners manual. On that screen, I can't do anything with CarPlay but the handsfree link still works, Only way to get out of that screen is to restart the car. (I wish there was a way to restart the infotainment system while the car was on)

I tried the other 2 cables and one of them also has issues, but the other has worked fine. It seems weird to me that all of the cables are able to charge the phone when it's plugged into the cigarette lighter usb adapter but only 1 of the cable consistently works with CarPlay. I have a feeling it might be the phone and Acura system compatibility issue because if I turn on and off my phone and use the apple cable, it'll sometimes work.
Have you tried to "Forget this Car" in the CarPlay app settings on the phone and set it up again?
Old 11-14-2018, 10:31 PM
6th Gear

Fixed! Thank you to a35tl for messaging me with the fix and also to mapleloaf for suggesting it first earlier in this thread. To clarify, mapleloaf said to enable bluetooth notifications which I did, but that didn't fix the issue. I did the same thing again recently and it solved it. I don't know if it's as simple as enabling for others or if it was some combo of upgrading the iOS, re-pairing the vehicle or one of the other many suggestions I found online and in this thread.

In short if you have the same problem try these steps

1) Enable bluetooth notifications - do this by going into settings --> bluetooth, click the little "i" that's beside the handsfreelink for your Acura and turn on show notifications. Note, every time you update your iOS, this setting seems to turn itself off (thanks to a35tl for noticing this).

2) Update your iOS to 12.1 and do step 1 above

3) Completely remove the bluetooth link between the phone/car, re-pair the device and check on step 1 above.

Hopefully that does the trick for everyone.
The following users liked this post:
a35tl (11-18-2018)
Old 11-18-2018, 01:54 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by oilerfan4lyfe
Fixed! Thank you to a35tl for messaging me with the fix and also to mapleloaf for suggesting it first earlier in this thread. To clarify, mapleloaf said to enable bluetooth notifications which I did, but that didn't fix the issue. I did the same thing again recently and it solved it. I don't know if it's as simple as enabling for others or if it was some combo of upgrading the iOS, re-pairing the vehicle or one of the other many suggestions I found online and in this thread.

In short if you have the same problem try these steps

1) Enable bluetooth notifications - do this by going into settings --> bluetooth, click the little "i" that's beside the handsfreelink for your Acura and turn on show notifications. Note, every time you update your iOS, this setting seems to turn itself off (thanks to a35tl for noticing this).

2) Update your iOS to 12.1 and do step 1 above

3) Completely remove the bluetooth link between the phone/car, re-pair the device and check on step 1 above.

Hopefully that does the trick for everyone.
Glad it worked out. Now that you have tested it, I can download iOS 12.1
Old 04-13-2019, 11:55 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Try this... it worked for me!!!👏👍🏼

I was able to fix this on my iPhone X by going to settings in the Acura RDX ->, connection->, CarPlay, finding my phone, then “enabling” my phone on the Acura RDX system.

Originally Posted by graphicguy