Notices

Home Link-Garage Door Opener Poor Range

Old 06-03-2019, 08:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Home Link-Garage Door Opener Poor Range

Recently noticed that my Garage door opener doesn't raise the garage door unless the car is ~5 feet from the door. Opener is a 10 y/o Craftsman but the Craftsman key chain remote opens the door from 25 feet.

I'm aware that LED bulbs and other things can interfere but this happens when the house is completely dark. I recently got a new HD TV but it happens when the TV is unplugged.

I tried repairing the HomeLink with the opener with no improvement.

Anyone have this problem or know of a fix?
Old 06-04-2019, 05:04 AM
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
This is a bit of a long shot but my home internet modem/router is in the office above the garage and garage door opener. Occasionally, if the modem reboots, the WiFi channel changes to a channel that interferes with the opener greatly reducing my range. I change the channel or reboot the modem and the range restores. I know it is not my TLX as the range fluctuation affects my wife using the Craftsman key fob garage opener remote as well. Good luck.
Old 06-04-2019, 09:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile Fixed!

Well, I'll be Damned! Turns out it was the CFL Bulbs in the opener that was doing it. I unscrewed the one nearest the antenna and voila, the opener worked as I remembered. To be safe I replaced them both with incandescents and it opens from 30 feet away. Come to think of it the CFL nearest the opener antenna was one I replaced a couple of months ago. Never notices the range issue till lately since we had so little snow this winter requiring me to "get a run" up the driveway. Anyway the problem is fixed. :-)
The following users liked this post:
sehale (06-05-2019)