Update on Switch off/acc behaviour...

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 09:35 PM
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 38 Posts
Update on Switch off/acc behaviour...

A little while ago a question was posted about a way to switch the car to accessory mode while the car was running.

There was some discussion and I posted (after I had only had my car a couple of days) my experiences... The behaviour I described didn't seem to work for everyone.

Well, after living with the car (SH-AWD Elite) for a couple of months I can describe the behaviour more completely. It actually behaves both the ways described in the original thread.

Scenario 1:
1. Car stopped, but with engine running.
2. Transmission in Drive.
3. Press the ignition switch.

The car will shift to park, and the engine will shut off and the car will be in accessory mode. (Radio continues to play etc.)

Scenario 2:
1. Pull up to a stop (ie. into a parking spot)
2. with the Transmission in Drive.
3. Idle stop turns off the engine.
4. Press the ignition switch.

The transmission will shift to park, and the ignition will turn off completely.

I hope this clears up some of the mystery about this, but I am still willing to believe that there is different behaviours based on CAN/US or trim level.

later...
The following 2 users liked this post by qwxilvr:
9SpeedTran (01-22-2015), SideStep (01-22-2015)
Old 01-22-2015, 12:23 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 155 Likes on 106 Posts
What about for the I4?
Old 01-22-2015, 08:49 AM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
In your scenario 1 is the car really in accessory mode? IIRC (I have '12 by the way) when you turn off the car it retains power for 10 minutes or until a door is opened.
Old 01-22-2015, 06:04 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by tlxsteve
What about for the I4?
Can't help you there... v6 powah!
The following users liked this post:
tlxsteve (01-23-2015)
Old 01-22-2015, 06:05 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Treblig
In your scenario 1 is the car really in accessory mode? IIRC (I have '12 by the way) when you turn off the car it retains power for 10 minutes or until a door is opened.
All I can tell you it is in "accessory mode" as that is what it says in the MID...
Old 01-22-2015, 06:20 PM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
As I said, I have a '12 so I will defer to you.
Old 01-23-2015, 12:01 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
Originally Posted by qwxilvr
A little while ago a question was posted about a way to switch the car to accessory mode while the car was running.

There was some discussion and I posted (after I had only had my car a couple of days) my experiences... The behaviour I described didn't seem to work for everyone.

Well, after living with the car (SH-AWD Elite) for a couple of months I can describe the behaviour more completely. It actually behaves both the ways described in the original thread.

Scenario 1:
1. Car stopped, but with engine running.
2. Transmission in Drive.
3. Press the ignition switch.

The car will shift to park, and the engine will shut off and the car will be in accessory mode. (Radio continues to play etc.)

Scenario 2:
1. Pull up to a stop (ie. into a parking spot)
2. with the Transmission in Drive.
3. Idle stop turns off the engine.
4. Press the ignition switch.

The transmission will shift to park, and the ignition will turn off completely.

I hope this clears up some of the mystery about this, but I am still willing to believe that there is different behaviours based on CAN/US or trim level.

later...
Very useful. Just to perhaps build on this:

In your Scenario 1, the parking brake will also engage, but only if you have enabled Brake Hold.

Related to Scenario 2, if the car is running and you put it in park and then shut it off, the car will shut off completely. Again, the Parking Brake will only engage automatically if you have Brake Hold on.
Old 02-01-2015, 05:53 AM
8th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This works for me when i need 'uninterrupted' access to accessory mode ( the normal park / poweroff turns everything off).

Keep in mind that I have a RLX PAWS w/ the 'conventional' 6AT; this may / may not work in your ZF- or DCT-equipped cars...

Come to a stop where you want to park the car. I use my parking brake most of the time...I'd recommend to the v6 owners, at least
If you need to maneuver in the space w/ D or R, go right ahead.
When done, Shift to N (instead of 'P')
Hit the power button
In your MID, you'll see a message to 'shift to park' (as an orange 'warning' type message. Go ahead - you'll maintain uninterrupted accessory power.

Hope this helps...i often have a use / need for it.
Old 02-02-2015, 10:18 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
Originally Posted by IL_RLX
This works for me when i need 'uninterrupted' access to accessory mode ( the normal park / poweroff turns everything off).

Keep in mind that I have a RLX PAWS w/ the 'conventional' 6AT; this may / may not work in your ZF- or DCT-equipped cars...

Come to a stop where you want to park the car. I use my parking brake most of the time...I'd recommend to the v6 owners, at least
If you need to maneuver in the space w/ D or R, go right ahead.
When done, Shift to N (instead of 'P')
Hit the power button
In your MID, you'll see a message to 'shift to park' (as an orange 'warning' type message. Go ahead - you'll maintain uninterrupted accessory power.

Hope this helps...i often have a use / need for it.
This is what I do if I am on the phone when I pull into my driveway, and don't want to transfer the call from bluetooth to my phone itself. We are basically engaging car wash mode, but with the parking brake engaged, or your foot on the brake.