Sport + mode

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2015, 10:47 PM
Randy is the Future

Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts
Sport + mode

So I'm curious how you guys feel about the Sport + mode... I used it the other day for the first time with the paddle shifters and I have to tell you it is scary fast! Maybe I wasn't expecting it to give the punch and power it did but I had to grab the steering wheel hard to keep control. It surely did bring a smile to my face though! I only have the P-AWS model so I am a little reluctant to use it but I can only imagine how fun and stable it is on the SH models. Curious if you guys use it much. I typically drive in the regular sport mode but the Sport + is a different beast.
Old 05-10-2015, 07:59 AM
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts
I use Sport+ almost every time I drive on mountain roads. It just seems to "wake up" the car and make it closer to a true sport sedan. The shifts with the DCT in auto mode are fast and crisp, but it shifts when I want it to in Sport+. I love the rev matching on downshifts. If you want to have a little driving fun in the I4, Sport+ is a must. Probably great in the V6 also.
Old 05-11-2015, 01:14 AM
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 48 Posts
I can't say that I use it much, but have toyed around with it on some twisty roads. It does keep the V6 in a very responsive zone.

Is it me, or do the paddle shifters seem just a half heartbeat delayed over what they should be? I drove an ILX loaner recently noticed the paddle shifters felt on the money in both down/upshifts.
Old 05-11-2015, 01:28 AM
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 19 Posts
I've never driven in sport + mode long enough to full experience it. Im usually doing city driving and sport + is too much for driving around town. I've been meaning to give it a try on the expressway. I do agree about the shift points being laggy though. I drove with sport + on my test drive and it didn't feel as crisp as it should be. I guess the DCT 4 cylinder models (TLX,ILX) feel sharper due to to the DCT.
Old 05-11-2015, 03:54 AM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Yep. Paddle. Shifters. Are. Just. A. Little. Slow.

Originally Posted by MedX172
Is it me, or do the paddle shifters seem just a half heartbeat delayed over what they should be? I drove an ILX loaner recently noticed the paddle shifters felt on the money in both down/upshifts.
I agree with you on this. I've driven with Porsche, Audi, and BMW paddles. The TLX's seems to be a 'moment' slower than I want, expect, hope for, and need. I've only driven Sport+ a few times because it's just a tad latent.
Old 05-11-2015, 07:26 AM
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts
Can't say for sure since I haven't driven a V6 TLX in Sport+, but it could be that the DCT in the 4 cylinder is more responsive/crisp with the paddles than the V6. They sure seem fast and crisp to me - I've driven an ATS and a Lexus IS for comparison.
Old 05-11-2015, 09:30 AM
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts
I have had my v6 sh-awd for about two months now. I drive about 90% of the time in sport + auto mode because of the responsiveness. I don't always ring it out I just like how quick and available the power is. I use sport mode until the engine is warmed up or in slow bumper to bumper city traffic. I use the paddle shifters in sport + on short freeway jaunts. I have never used another paddle shifter before but I have had three manual transmissions and to me the paddle shifter is just as quick or quicker then a manual in engagement feel.

Driving this way gives me about 20mpg but a big smile!

Last edited by ultrapogi; 05-11-2015 at 09:33 AM. Reason: Spelling. Addition
Old 05-11-2015, 09:03 PM
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 105 Posts
I love the Sport + mode but I don't have a lot of opportunities to fully utilize it either. I don't notice the lag at all in + mode and it's very responsive and fun to drive. I like using the paddle shifters in the other modes as well. I even found that while in Econ mode if you really get on the gas while passing a large truck it will get along quite nicely.
Old 05-12-2015, 08:35 AM
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
I use Sport + mode more often than I should. I used it yesterday in traffic on a 2-lane country road because I was tired of the car shifting and using my brakes. I just kept it in 1st and it was perfect. Plus, when it finally opened up I could just put my foot down and move around without waiting for the car to think about it.

I have the DCT and for me, there is a slight lag, but ... the gear changes on the indicator as soon as I tap the paddle! lol