Production Version Photos

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2014 | 08:09 PM
Suzuka Master

kurtakx....Yep....Loved my TSX and that car has zero issues. My TL has been pretty good with the exception of the ticking sunroof. The RDX has had more issues, mind you nothing that left me stranded but they are irritants and the way Acura is treating the issue is what has got me upset. 2 years for a suspension noise that sounds like the car has no rear shocks is unacceptable. Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to impart my opinion on others but simply share with you guys that I have decided to move on....at least for now.

I have been happy with my Acura (2006 TSX...no issues whatsoever, 2009 TSX....no issues whatsoever, 2012 TL......no issues other than my sunroof, 2013 RDX....some minor issues but the most significant one is the rear suspension noise) but seeing that this problem is also affecting the ILX with the same response..."oh it's part of the design of the vehicle"....Sure. Now I am starting to see similar suspension noise problems in the RLX and the MDX is having some technical glitches. I am just not prepared to drive a TLX that is designed to ride like a horse buggy. I am not overly happy with the decision to go to these dual screens as well which some people are having issues, and as I have stated in another thread, I am not feeling a good vibe about the transmission. Sure, my statements are pure speculations on my part but what I am saying is that I will not be buying the TLX for at least a year......but I also know that I wanted this year to be the year where I got something new. So since I have lost the confidence that Acura will give me a bullet proof car, I have decided that rather than buying a vehicle that the adhesive hasn't really dried yet, and then spending my time providing diagnostic reports for them, I decided that I wanted to buy something that is established, tested and proven.

Sure...no car is bullet proof and a well built car and one with a solid record can still fail you but I am playing it safe and reducing my risk by looking at something that other people troubleshooted for me *lol*

I'll say it again....I have no problem with a car company not getting the car right off the gate but the inability to solve it within 2 years is what bothers me and has gotten me sour. MAke a mistake...fine, fix it...fine. Make a mistake...fine, say the car is functioning as designed...not OK.

Last edited by weather; 03-17-2014 at 08:14 PM.
Old 03-17-2014 | 08:16 PM
Azine Jabroni

^^^agreed on that. I love my TSX and I'm rather perturbed Acura is doing away with it and that the only size offering I may be able to afford in the future is the ILX. Maybe a 2.4L TLX, but I don't know.
Old 03-17-2014 | 08:26 PM
Suzuka Master

The 2.4 ILX is a great car....the best engine and an amazing transmission and here in Canada, we have the ELS system and nav system so we are lucky. The only problem is that we live in a cold climate and the noise problem, otherwise I would have gotten one as a leased daily driver. You should be OK living in Texas.....
Old 03-17-2014 | 08:38 PM
10th Gear

After seeing the leaked production vehicle pictures of the TLX, to say I was disappointed was an understatement. I was really holding out to see if Acura could wow me... I was impressed with the prototype, but theirs not much that can be said about the production model. I don't know what Honda/Acura is thinking about no tail pipes... this isn't a Hybrid so why even act like it is. That really turned me off and told me it wasn't the direction of car that I was looking for. This pas Saturday I bought my "fun car" it has the fun and excitement that I'm looking for. I'm still keeping the TL as my daily driver and overall reliability. It's a champ and I'm sure the next Acura TLX will be just as reliable and practical. I'm hoping they can make it up and one day trade in my old one for the TLX

My "fun car" 2010 BMW z4
Name:  10419058-3-5-23f17e34_zps2d4b8670.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  62.9 KB

Last edited by jrob8604; 03-17-2014 at 08:51 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by jrob8604:
07wdptl-s (03-18-2014), BEAR-AvHistory (03-18-2014), VR1 (03-18-2014)
Old 03-17-2014 | 08:45 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by H_CAR
I'm amazed that some of you guys have already made up your minds on the TLX based on a few unflattering photos, and I bet the car in the pictures was the base 4 cylinder model too. Not to mention the model shown was not even the American model TLX.

Seriously?

Relax guys, patience is virtue.
I agree. We may get screwed over in the end, but damn it, we haven't been screwed over yet!

Hey wait, that should be the 5G battlecry ...
The following users liked this post:
a35tl (03-17-2014)
Old 03-17-2014 | 08:50 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by boe_d
Very nice looking car. The grill on yours in this photo seems nicer than the ones I've seen elsewhere or maybe it is just the light.
You may have seen the F-Sport grille. 07wdptl-s's isn't an F-Sport from the looks of it.

Also, gotta give props to 07wdptl-s for getting the 350 instead of the 250.
07wdptl-s (03-18-2014)
Old 03-18-2014 | 05:26 AM
Suzuka Master

I'm surprised how many people have waited then jumped ship less than 3 months before the release of the car to actually see and drive a production version. Sure there is not much left to the imagination at this point, but waiting 3 months might sway some people back.
a35tl (03-18-2014)
Old 03-18-2014 | 06:48 AM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by KeithL
I'm surprised how many people have waited then jumped ship less than 3 months before the release of the car to actually see and drive a production version. Sure there is not much left to the imagination at this point, but waiting 3 months might sway some people back.
We don't really know when the J Motor + 9 speed will hit the showrooms, or even how much HP is in the K Motor + 8 speed.

There's a lot we still don't know, and the final package might very well overcome the shock some people have felt over the sedate looks of the vehicle.

You know, it's funny, though: The looks that so many writers here are finding boring and sedate, I'm finding...well...stealthy, I think. If you're somebody who tends to buy silver or gray cars, you're not scared away. If you're somebody who tends to buy red cars, then you're probably already looking elsewhere.
a35tl (03-18-2014)
Old 03-18-2014 | 06:51 AM
Grandpa

100% of the current production of the Cadillac CTS have been recalled because of non-functioning airbags. That's going to be a very expensive fix, and very inconvenient for the owners of the cars.

I'm just mentioning that to give a little perspective to the complaints about Acura.
The following 2 users liked this post by George Knighton:
a35tl (03-18-2014), holografique (03-19-2014)
Old 03-18-2014 | 08:46 AM
Race Director

$300 million in recall costs is what I heard. Lol
Old 03-18-2014 | 09:00 AM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by maharajamd
$300 million in recall costs is what I heard. Lol
That is what she set aside, but it looks worse than that to me.

The problem with the ignition switches could be more expensive after tort actions. There are deaths related to the ignition switches recall, cases wherein the car went from RUN to ACC by itself, thereby reducing the driver's ability to steer and brake...and it also means the airbags did not deploy when they ran into something.
Old 03-18-2014 | 11:44 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by George Knighton
100% of the current production of the Cadillac CTS have been recalled because of non-functioning airbags. That's going to be a very expensive fix, and very inconvenient for the owners of the cars.

I'm just mentioning that to give a little perspective to the complaints about Acura.
As if Honda/Acura have never had recalls
The following 2 users liked this post by fsttyms1:
BEAR-AvHistory (03-18-2014), ggesq (03-18-2014)
Old 03-18-2014 | 12:13 PM
Suzuka Master

Casting stones, on air bags for example, is never a good plan

http://articles.latimes.com/2013/sep...irbag-20130919

BTW the biggest Honda/Acura US only recall was for Faulty seatbelt buckles, Units affected: 3.7 million

Everybody can have an issue as no company has hit perfection yet.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 03-18-2014 at 12:17 PM.
Old 03-18-2014 | 04:58 PM
Suzuka Master

^^ and I don't mind a recall....Its a sign that at least they have a fix!!
Old 03-18-2014 | 05:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
As if Honda/Acura have never had recalls
Yeah, but how many people died because Honda/Acura refused to acknowledge or fix a serious safety defect?
The following 3 users liked this post by KeithL:
docboy (03-18-2014), HeartTLs (03-20-2014), kurtatx (03-20-2014)
Old 03-18-2014 | 07:20 PM
King of NYC

I am also disgusted with those TLX spy photos. Well as for me guys, my search is over, I've had enough. I saw the MB dealer on my way back from work. Came across this baby and I couldn't leave the dealership without the keys. Got it for $13k off the sticker.

Yeah, right, I wish. lol
Nari (03-21-2014)
Old 03-18-2014 | 07:26 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by boe_d
Very nice looking car. The grill on yours in this photo seems nicer than the ones I've seen elsewhere or maybe it is just the light.

I'm hoping they'll release the hybrid IS in the US this year as I'm very tempted to get it. With any luck they'll improve the acceleration on the hybrid before they release it in the US.
The IS250 and 350 have a sport version called fsport i think you are probably referring to that grill the model i chose is the luxury version which have the normal grill with fog lights.
Old 03-18-2014 | 07:33 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by jrob8604
After seeing the leaked production vehicle pictures of the TLX, to say I was disappointed was an understatement. I was really holding out to see if Acura could wow me... I was impressed with the prototype, but theirs not much that can be said about the production model. I don't know what Honda/Acura is thinking about no tail pipes... this isn't a Hybrid so why even act like it is. That really turned me off and told me it wasn't the direction of car that I was looking for. This pas Saturday I bought my "fun car" it has the fun and excitement that I'm looking for. I'm still keeping the TL as my daily driver and overall reliability. It's a champ and I'm sure the next Acura TLX will be just as reliable and practical. I'm hoping they can make it up and one day trade in my old one for the TLX

My "fun car" 2010 BMW z4
Agreed 100 percent on the hidden exhaust i live with it on the mdx but not on a tlx.
Old 03-18-2014 | 07:37 PM
Instructor

We don't really know when the J Motor + 9 speed will hit the showrooms, or even how much HP is in the K Motor + 8 speed.

There's a lot we still don't know, and the final package might very well overcome the shock some people have felt over the sedate looks of the vehicle.

You know, it's funny, though: The looks that so many writers here are finding boring and sedate, I'm finding...well...stealthy, I think. If you're somebody who tends to buy silver or gray cars, you're not scared away. If you're somebody who tends to buy red cars, then you're probably already looking elsewhere.
Im sorry but im a silver guy and i must say that side shot of the car is not looking to good no matter what color the front overhang is just horrible especially in black.
Old 03-18-2014 | 07:45 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by rockyfeller
I am also disgusted with those TLX spy photos. Well as for me guys, my search is over, I've had enough. I saw the MB dealer on my way back from work. Came across this baby and I couldn't leave the dealership without the keys. Got it for $13k off the sticker.

Yeah, right, I wish. lol
Damn, she got a phat ass.
Old 03-18-2014 | 09:04 PM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

^ Oh look! Exhaust tips! My grandfather use to tell me about those ...

BTW, why no more spy pictures?
Old 03-18-2014 | 09:35 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by keith7120
Damn, she got a phat ass.
...and I am sure she is fun to ride!! (the car that is....you perverts!!) *LMAO*
Old 03-18-2014 | 10:33 PM
Keeping TL until 2029

The TLX is pretty blank looking compared to the Prototype. Acura has to push the design a bit more like the current Lexus IS or dare I say it, Kia Optima. I can only skip this oversight if the production TLX has 400 horsepower and have the mileage of a 4 cylinder Honda Accord. The Porsche Panermera is one ugly looking car but at least it can be optioned with 520 HP! HP will silence the critics.
Old 03-19-2014 | 12:45 AM
Summer is Coming

I can't imagine the initial release of the TLX won't include the V6. They may not have all 7 variants out on day one, but I have to think they will have at least one 2.4 and one V6. The SH-AWD, if anything, would be my guess for a later release.

That is what she set aside, but it looks worse than that to me.

The problem with the ignition switches could be more expensive after tort actions. There are deaths related to the ignition switches recall, cases wherein the car went from RUN to ACC by itself, thereby reducing the driver's ability to steer and brake...and it also means the airbags did not deploy when they ran into something.
One article I read estimated ~300 people died in accidents due to the ignition switch airbag problems. This makes the Toyota gas pedal thing look like a non-event. But we certainly haven't seen the same level of coverage. 300 dead customers is huge. Other than plane crashes I can't remember any manufacturers error causing that amount of fatalities. And imagine injuries. Somehow I don't think $300M is going to do it.
Old 03-19-2014 | 09:43 AM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by Rocket_man
Somehow I don't think $300M is going to do it.
I hate to present myself as some kind of conspiracy theorist, but I cannot help wondering if the government did not make sure it was completely divested of GM ownership before this all came out.
Old 03-19-2014 | 12:03 PM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

George... Conspiracy theory? They got worse to deal with. Some times I am debating what is more ridiculous when it comes to GM, their politics or their engineering?

"To repair the condition, dealers will remove the driver and passenger side air bag wiring harness connectors and splice and solder the wires together."

https://media.gm.com/Pages/news/us/e...r/0317-gm.html

So, one quality control mess fixed with another quality control mess.

Last edited by Tonyware; 03-19-2014 at 12:12 PM.
Old 03-19-2014 | 10:47 PM
Summer is Coming

I hate to present myself as some kind of conspiracy theorist, but I cannot help wondering if the government did not make sure it was completely divested of GM ownership before this all came out.
I think only a few people died in the Toyota unintended accel issue. So if the federal government penalized GM for 300 dead I don't think they will be in business anymore. I think the only conspiracy here is how the government will try to wash over this so they don't penalize 'Government Motors' and embarrass the President.

"Toyota is allegedly nearing a federal settlement over its handling of the unintended-acceleration recalls several years ago.

The deal has yet to be publicly acknowledged, however two unnamed insiders have told Bloomberg the company has agreed to pay $1.2 billion to put an end to the ongoing investigation.

If true, the automaker will pay a large sum to the federal government despite winning a bellwether civil trial filed by the estate of a driver who was killed in a 2006 Toyota Camry that lacked a brake override system.

Millions of vehicles were recalled, beginning in 2009, after accidents and fatalities were blamed on unintended acceleration. The issue was traced back to the gas pedal, rather than an electronic default. Toyota vehicles are now designed with a redundant override that automatically reduces engine power when a driver hits the brakes.

The federal penalty is reportedly marginally higher than a $1.1 billion civil settlement that the company agreed to pay late in 2012 in a class-action lawsuit.

The latest settlement is expected to be finalized and announced as early as today.

Read more: http://www.leftlanenews.com/toyota-faces-potential-12b-federal-settlement-over-unintended-acceleration.html#ixzz2wTGbbz4V"

Last edited by Rocket_man; 03-19-2014 at 10:49 PM.
Old 03-20-2014 | 08:23 AM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by Rocket_man
I think only a few people died in the Toyota unintended accel issue.
I think that what upsets me about both Toyota and General Motors is that they both appear to have engaged in an aggressive plan to mislead the investigators.

Toyota knew about the floor mats blocking the accelerator pedal across several models, and they concealed it.

General Motors knew about the ignition switches causing crashes across several models, and they concealed it.

In both cases, I believe that we need to make a very obvious statement that this is not something that we will tolerate. There must be compensatory damages and there must be punitive damages, and I care less about their profitability and more about making enough of a statement that big companies know in the future that this will not be countenanced.
Old 03-20-2014 | 09:18 AM
Suzuka Master

^^ The sad part of life is that as long as money is involved, we will never be able to eliminate this sort of cover up or passing the blame. I agree that as a society, we should never stop putting the pressure and hold them accountable but I doubt we'll ever see the day where they will do this voluntary and in a proactive manner.
Old 03-20-2014 | 10:58 AM
Azine Jabroni

Originally Posted by weather
^^ The sad part of life is that as long as money is involved, we will never be able to eliminate this sort of cover up or passing the blame. I agree that as a society, we should never stop putting the pressure and hold them accountable but I doubt we'll ever see the day where they will do this voluntary and in a proactive manner.
Makes you wonder how else these types of companies are deceiving the buyer. I'll be honest, I don't know much about the inner workings of my car. It could be a complete dud and I wouldn't know it yet.
Old 03-20-2014 | 08:07 PM
Drifting

Damn, waited and waited for the 4th generation to be done, only to be replaced by another bland looking sedan. Why the hell CANT they make it look like the prototype ? sigh
Old 03-20-2014 | 09:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Come on guys, lets get back on track
Old 03-20-2014 | 10:54 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by SilverJ
Damn, waited and waited for the 4th generation to be done, only to be replaced by another bland looking sedan. Why the hell CANT they make it look like the prototype ? sigh

Cause that would result in a reason to actually buy the damn thing. Acura prides on bumping prices and offering the same damn thing. Is 3 sedans really necessary? Why is there not a TLX Type-S.... A coupe.... or prototype looking offered... Cause that would mean sales! And Acura has proven they rather fall flat on their face

Last edited by insanik; 03-20-2014 at 10:56 PM.
Old 03-21-2014 | 08:12 AM
Grandpa

I will just never understand.

The American team builds something edgy like the 2009 4G TL, and they get blasted.

So the American team reacts and the next time there's a redesign they go a little conservative with the 2015 5G TLX...and they get blasted again.

I've watched this go on with Honda and Acura for a long, long time.

My conclusion is that Honda and Acura are an average of three years ahead of public opinion.
JM2010 SH-AWD (03-22-2014)
Old 03-21-2014 | 09:03 AM
Team Owner

The American team builds something edgy like the 2009 4G TL, and they get blasted.

So the American team reacts and the next time there's a redesign they go a little conservative with the 2015 5G TLX...and they get blasted again.

My conclusion is that Honda and Acura are an average of three years ahead of public opinion.
Honestly, at some point, Acura just needs to decide if it cares about what the public thinks or not. BMW, for instance, forged ahead despite the early gag reflex to the Bangle butt and continues to sell insane numbers of their cars. Sure the badge carries some of that, but at the end of the day, people will whinge at anything that is new, but will still buy what they want.

On whole, Acura and Honda have gone for slightly bland designs that may not be the edgiest things, but have long-term staying power. The 4G TL was a departure from that and they got smacked around for it by the press and by consumers. With the TLX, they are back on their original track, but still need to refine the appearance to give it a more aggressive stance than what we have seen in the spy shots.
Old 03-21-2014 | 10:27 AM
Instructor

Edgy is fine, but it is only one part of the equation (exhibit A; Pontiac Aztec). I fully understand the subjectivity of style because there were people that actually bought the Pontiac abomination, and some in bright yellow, geez! Acura is sometimes 3 years ahead, sometimes 3 years behind and that is the point, the design language often has no continuity, it's almost manic. The 4G alienated heaps of 3G owners because there was very little connection between the two, style or otherwise. I think it would make more sense for the 4G and 5G to swap (in model years) because the 5G has much more in "common" with the 3G. Think of the '94 Accord, it is such an outlier in the lineup because the '98 model looked like the natural successor to the '93. The 3G TL is still a great looking car in 2014, they should have let that style evolve more naturally rather than trying to be ahead of styling trends and jamming the style direction down our throats in the form of the 4G. The Mazda 6 is a great example of a car that very naturally evolved from bland to very attractive (my opinion) and could certainly be called edgy.

Last edited by jbawden; 03-21-2014 at 10:30 AM.
Old 03-21-2014 | 11:15 AM
Suzuka Master

There is middle ground they need to find. The 5G TLX is really not that far form the mark, and as is would be fine, if they would offer a true Sport (Type-S) variant that brings the Prototype styling.
Old 03-21-2014 | 01:12 PM
Drifting

Not really edgy. The 2009 was different and as most agree, was an ugly car. I know those who own it wont say so, but it just was.
The 2015 looks less different but leans too much into bland territory too much so IMO. They put the prototype out, it was very well received, I ask again, why CAN'T they make it look like that ? Maybe someone who understands prototypes better can chime in.
Does prototype mean its like a kit car? like it doesn't actually work, its just a shell ?
Old 03-21-2014 | 01:46 PM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

The 2009 Was an ugly car?

Just like a buddy of mine who drives a volt said to me: "I get 60 mpg Tony. What do you get?"... had to say "I get laid".

(sorry I just couldn't help it )

PS. Why no more spy pics? C'mon Acura , take one out from the factory and just go shopping at a supermarket or something...

Last edited by Tonyware; 03-21-2014 at 01:50 PM.
echodigital (03-21-2014)
Old 03-21-2014 | 08:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by SilverJ
Not really edgy. The 2009 was different and as most agree, was an ugly car. I know those who own it wont say so, but it just was.
The 2015 looks less different but leans too much into bland territory too much so IMO. They put the prototype out, it was very well received, I ask again, why CAN'T they make it look like that ? Maybe someone who understands prototypes better can chime in.
Does prototype mean its like a kit car? like it doesn't actually work, its just a shell ?
Car show prototypes come in all flavors from towed in shells to fully functioned cars & everything in-between. People who actually saw the TLX should be able to tell if it was a real cat or a styling exercise.

Quick Reply: Production Version Photos