One option; and buy the TLX SH-AWD V6 for 57,000

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 04:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,600 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by mylove4cars
internalaudit,

I'm sure you're not trolling. Talking about trolling; its pathetic reading some of these posts and the nonsense replied.

(Acura's are mediocre polished-up appliances) Another Troll excuse my French.

Try that on the BMW, Audi forums; most likely people over there are a bit more spirited, they don't put-up with the bashing; you have a flame-war going before you know.

Unfortunately for other members, these types of individuals only preach Gloom & Doom hiding behind a keyboard.

The ones that dislike Acura cars so much; what could be the reason for them to come here?

You really should lighten up. I understand you might be a bit butt hurt over the lack of a mass uprising in favor of a $57K TLX but that is no reason to call people who disagree with you names. First sign that someone's argument is in the toilet is when the name calling starts.

Also as long as Acura can pump out the SUV's there is really no need a savior so, no point in auditioning for the job.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 04-05-2014 at 04:24 PM.
Old 04-05-2014, 04:24 PM
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 58 Posts
Maybe someone else can make sense of what you're saying, getting tired of trying to.

I'm getting the impression that folks who are against the TLX model in all capacities, just don't want to see Acura do it for whatever reasons.

All said
Old 04-05-2014, 04:36 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by winstrolvtec
If they truly want to move the brand up a bit more as evident by the hybrid system and the NSX, which would make it appear to be the case, these are some of the things they will have to but it's undeniably a much cheaper venture and I would just like to know how Acura can simultaneously move more upscale without bringing out more upscale products?

Because you're arguing that the brand can't sell it because they are not perceived as luxury enough and don't have higher line customer bases or attraction but then at the same time argue they can't do the things that are needed in order to get the better recognition and move upscale and offer higher line products. That's circular logic. It's like what came first the chicken or the egg, maybe someone else can make sense of what you're saying, getting tired of trying to.

The ZDX is also a lesson learned that you can achieve the same effect with higher line version of the line and MODEL already being used, you don't need to create an all new product off it. Likewise the development of the hybrid system can serve as a basis for future endeavors, disagree with the choice is fine but that still make sense, as can a higher output V6. Others are taking notes from Honda on how to increase margins and efficiency, you combine that with trying to move upscale and attract a bit more of a performance base to the brand at the same time, you end up with the idea of this kind of hypothetical product.

Hyundai and Kia will eventually run into the same problem Honda/Acura does, if not already. The value equation will hurt their luxury perception, they will hit that wall as well, if not already, and have to do the types of things we talk about to overcome it, as they have already learned and started to do.

Equus, R spec, a $60k Kia is coming out, etc. RWD and V8 are great paths to get there, probably easier, I don't deny it but it's not the only way. Bottom-line, high line versions with higher price tags, effective marketing (helps to have that stuff to market in the first place) and the other things that typically go with it, as well as halo cars, multi-line products (have to start with something, usually can't just make them all) and a few smaller factors in addition like dealer experience, etc, are what get that done.

I'm getting the impression that folks who are against the TLX model in all capacities, just don't want to see Acura do it for whatever reasons.

Not sure what age and median income have to do with anything except that it is a product of what the brands are doing, much of which is described above. Nonetheless, most of these brands have one or two models that don't sell in excess of $60k (usually $40k-$55k) and typically make up 50%, if not more, of the brands sales anyway, which is basically the brand, period. That's the volume, that's where make their money, the top 3 luxury brands in sales in the US (BMW, MB, Lexus) rely on double and triple sales of one or two popular models vs competitors to get that done, tying back to what I already posted above, what do you think allows that to happen?

FWIW, Acura has done a good job of maintaining a balanced spread of sales across it's line, not overly dependent on one or two models and only selling those.
One thing makes me smile. We have had this debate before. With the 4G came out I said there is no way Acura's stated goal of cracking tier one was going to happen with this car.

I also said it was going to tank in the marketplace. You wrote thousands of long paragraphs of why I was so wrong. Here we are today with a failed 4G doing it all over again with a $57K non existent TLX.
Old 04-05-2014, 04:42 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
You really should lighten up. I understand you might be a bit butt hurt over the lack of a mass uprising in favor of a $57K TLX but that is no reason to call people who disagree with you names. First sign that someone's argument is in the toilet is when the name calling starts.

Also as long as Acura can pump out the SUV's there is really no need a savior so, no point in auditioning for the job.
Kevin, I have no problem at all with debate or disagreeing on a subject as long demeaning, belittling, bashing, stays out of the conversation.

In case of the above that's the reason why I call them Trolls, common in any forum.
Old 04-05-2014, 04:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Kevin, I have no problem at all with debate or disagreeing on a subject as long demeaning, belittling, bashing, stays out of the conversation.

In case of the above that's the reason why I call them Trolls, common in any forum.
So you have set yourself up as the one who decides exactly what constitutes demeaning, belittling, bashing on this forum, interesting.

From the looks of it anything you disagree with is trolling by your lights. You might want to get over yourself.
Old 04-05-2014, 05:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 119 Posts
This thread sucks, I wanted to see a production 57K TLX
Old 04-05-2014, 06:12 PM
Racer

So you have set yourself up as the one who decides exactly what constitutes demeaning, belittling, bashing on this forum, interesting.

From the looks of it anything you disagree with is trolling by your lights. You might want to get over yourself.
"First sign that someone's argument is in the toilet is when the name calling starts."
Old 04-05-2014, 06:20 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by 012TL-GLM
This thread sucks, I wanted to see a production 57K TLX
Sorry, we have BEAR-AvHistory onboard its not going to happen
Old 04-05-2014, 08:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by cp3117
"Bear" has been a respected member here for many years...
LOL, if years on the board is the criteria, I say just lock this thread.
The following users liked this post:
cp3117 (04-12-2014)
Old 04-05-2014, 08:48 PM
Suzuka Master

"First sign that someone's argument is in the toilet is when the name calling starts."
You said English is not your native language, so what name do you think I called you?

https://acurazine.com/forums/5g-tlx-2015-2020-415/tlx-908247/

You best get over & police this April Fools thread....quite a few heretics there that need to get called out.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 04-05-2014 at 09:02 PM.
Old 04-05-2014, 10:02 PM
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts
Maybe someone else can make sense of what you're saying, getting tired of trying to.

All said
I think your thread puts a threat to what they think and that's why they are trashing your idea. They don't want Acura to create a car that beats their BMW for 10-15k less while being more reliable.

I think it would make an awesome car that very few auto companies can touch (beat most of the competition)

On the other side. Acura builds some of the most reliable cars on the market and for them to develop a tt v6 that's as reliable as non turbo version is difficult.

Acura reliability, performance and technology (sh-awd) is why I like Acura so much. If Acura lost its reliability I would be disappointed.
The following 2 users liked this post by HAWAII-TSX:
mylove4cars (04-06-2014), VR1 (04-06-2014)
Old 04-05-2014, 10:38 PM
Racer

You said English is not your native language, so what name do you think I called you?

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=908247

You best get over & police this April Fools thread....quite a few heretics there that need to get called out.
Sorry, for your loss of memory, now I understand.

I did not say, I didn't understand English!!!

Don't forget, I wish you a great weekend.
Drive safe

Last edited by mylove4cars; 04-05-2014 at 10:42 PM.
Old 04-05-2014, 10:57 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Colin
LOL, if years on the board is the criteria, I say just lock this thread.
You bet; this became trollingly funny, Ouch can't say that word, against the law of the Bear clan. Lol - LMAO

Lets get back to topic and make it V6 TT SH-AWD 525 Hp - 570 Torque @ 1400 rpm - The ultimate BMW massacre.
Old 04-05-2014, 11:09 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by HAWAII-TSX
I think your thread puts a threat to what they think and that's why they are trashing your idea. They don't want Acura to create a car that beats their BMW for 10-15k less while being more reliable.

I think it would make an awesome car that very few auto companies can touch (beat most of the competition)

On the other side. Acura builds some of the most reliable cars on the market and for them to develop a tt v6 that's as reliable as non turbo version is difficult.

Acura reliability, performance and technology (sh-awd) is why I like Acura so much. If Acura lost its reliability I would be disappointed.
What can I say, some never get it.

A lot of great cars, I like BMW, Porches and the likes. They all started somewhere. 45 Years ago in Europe BMW was looked-up as a unreliable automobile and Jaguar a piece of Sh.., Alfa Romeo an Italian disaster. I had all of them and never had problems. Lucky me I suppose.
Old 04-06-2014, 01:35 AM
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
Balanced spread, Really?. Acura sold 165,000 vehicles last year. 98,000 of them were the two SUV's.

Without the segment leading high margin SUV's Acura would be up for a fire sale.
No different than taking away the 3 and 5 for BMW, for example, and why not look at prior years as well and not the year that the end of the generation line TSX and TL sedans fell 39% and 28% and the RDX picked up 51% with a brand new model. However, I admit (and I actually can) that it is misleading, posted in a rush, I should have clarified but then my posts are too long but they really are, more of which I admit.

Even in Acura's worst example, it still proves they are no worse than others in this regard, but go back and you will see they have done better before. Last year it was 4 key models out of 7 total (2 might as well not even been there but they should count), three of which were all about 32k units each on average and one above the others at around 51k, equaling 144k units of a total of 156k. That's what is usually referred to as balance or better balanced anyway.

To be clear, by percentage Acura has been historically a bit better off in this regard, not much but worth noting to see who is really buying what in a given brand and what the price ranges are within the actual bulk of the brands sales. To be fair if they had a single killer model than they would also appear less balanced but keep in mind it's based on 6-7 models as opposed to 10 plus so even reading between the lines better balanced is still better balanced but in of itself, this is not all that important but instead how it relates to the thread and topic.

It would appear that all said and done Acura doesn't really have a lower selling point based on the largest percentages of sales, pretty much even as far as they compare to Lexus, while BMW is ahead by about $5k, as I would assume MB is, again give or take. Interesting to see the lease vs buy rate too which could easily tilt that and also because based on leasing it would appear others easily lease out better to account for that premium where Acura has been average in structure and in aggressiveness with regards to leasing.

There seemed to be some indication that more buy or finance Acura while others lease where it is a bit more costly, to compensate but can't say how valid that is or where the basis for that comes from. There are always exceptions but I think the leasing aspect and how they rate in aggressiveness or subsidy is pretty well accepted but I'm open to discussion as always.

Finally tying back the hypothetical TLX model, as was the point, it would appear based on the above that the other brands get bigger money in the dealerships mostly because they offer higher priced cars and trims. Makes sense to me that if Acura also wants to attract bigger money and the perception that goes with it, they need to build and price accordingly and whatever else should naturally go with that, like some addition features and refinements, etc. Higher trims and variants can exist without raising the price of the regular models which is probably a very important factor to consider, others who are good at it, go about it in this way.

Before anyone wants to suggest that Acura tried it and it failed in the RLX and ZDX to an extent and should not keep at it, look at the circumstances surrounding those cars and their markets and then consider what the bulk of sales are elsewhere and what the trims really are and then let's look at how well the even higher priced cars sell that Acura doesn't offer as well as others flagships. If we are going to say Acura should not make and offer something like this those brands shouldn't bring out similar kinds of cars and also those above that yet they still do and have their reasons for that, why those are warranted there but not at Acura is beyond me.

One thing makes me smile. We have had this debate before. With the 4G came out I said there is no way Acura's stated goal of cracking tier one was going to happen with this car.

I also said it was going to tank in the marketplace. You wrote thousands of long paragraphs of why I was so wrong. Here we are today with a failed 4G doing it all over again with a $57K non existent TLX.
What an empty post, all that is missing is a name being called. Really though I doubt that is what the discussions specifics were. Also goes against what I have repeatedly stated here that they need to offer more, need a halo car, etc, etc, if they really want to achieve that.

Why would a single entry model and even the SH variation, that was largely already available in the RL, which was a higher market car anyway, make them any more higher tier than they were?

Now for future purposes it could have better set that up if they followed through with a true flagship and left the mid level market for the TLX to fully compete in, a motion set up by a better utilized platform and higher priced 4G TL but they are still reluctant to do so today. If you determine right or wrong to coincide with being able to predict the future, you can pick my lottery numbers but I think that's the extent of all that but feel free to cite some or many examples, lots of time on my hands.

Can't predict the future on this model either, probably doesn't come out, but little denying it's usefulness in that regard, whether they do it or not.

Last edited by winstrolvtec; 04-06-2014 at 01:44 AM.
Old 04-06-2014, 04:51 AM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
Assuming it looks like the prototype that I recently saw in person, it would definitely be at or near the top of my list.
mylove4cars (04-06-2014)
Old 04-06-2014, 06:16 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Again, I will wait until it hits the market, test drive it and compare it with the competition for value and see where the TLX shakes out. I'm not a Acura loyalist, I bought my 3G S type by following my own advice. I think the S type is a great value and fun to drive so I'm in no hurry to jump into something different until it is proven. I'm certainly not going to spend 57k on a car even if it is over 500 hp.
Old 04-06-2014, 06:33 AM
Advanced

One thing I forgot to add. I would like to see the hybrid option offered on the TLX similar to what is offered on the RLX and soon to release NSX. Now I would be willing to pay a premium for that. I think Acura/honda could take over the developing market in this area. Especially when most manufacturers are going to gravitate to hybrids in order to meet the imposing CAFE standards.
Old 04-06-2014, 08:32 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
... Acura's stated goal of cracking tier one was going to happen with this car.
Who said that?
Old 04-06-2014, 08:36 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Originally Posted by tlorencz
I would like to see the hybrid option offered on the TLX similar to what is offered on the RLX and soon to release NSX.
I'm not sure that there's room for that on the platform. If you're around a Honda dealer, take a good hard look at the current generation Accord, including (if you can) an Accord Hybrid.

I'm not sure there's room for that kind of batteries, plus the two rear motors, not in a car that size.

I'm waiting to see where they go later in the year with the TLX + V6 + SH-AWD, and I suspect they might have a surprise for us. The regular direct inject J Motor with 9 speed + SH-AWD will perform very nicely, but wouldn't it be just awesome if they decided to have a road going "TLX GT" to capitalize on PD's car and the marketing potential?

:-)
mylove4cars (04-06-2014)
Old 04-06-2014, 01:07 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by George Knighton
I'm not sure that there's room for that on the platform. If you're around a Honda dealer, take a good hard look at the current generation Accord, including (if you can) an Accord Hybrid.

I'm not sure there's room for that kind of batteries, plus the two rear motors, not in a car that size.

I'm waiting to see where they go later in the year with the TLX + V6 + SH-AWD, and I suspect they might have a surprise for us. The regular direct inject J Motor with 9 speed + SH-AWD will perform very nicely, but wouldn't it be just awesome if they decided to have a road going "TLX GT" to capitalize on PD's car and the marketing potential?

Short & Sweet, on the money
Old 04-06-2014, 01:38 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
I'm waiting to see where they go later in the year with the TLX + V6 + SH-AWD, and I suspect they might have a surprise for us. The regular direct inject J Motor with 9 speed + SH-AWD will perform very nicely, but wouldn't it be just awesome if they decided to have a road going "TLX GT" ...
I have learned to pay attention to what you say....Not just because you are a very respectable contributor but also because I think you know a lot more than many of us here....I think you are dropping a juicy nugget of something you may have from a credible source
Old 04-06-2014, 02:14 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by weather
I have learned to pay attention to what you say....Not just because you are a very respectable contributor but also because I think you know a lot more than many of us here....I think you are dropping a juicy nugget of something you may have from a credible source
Well, well; reading between the lines and use fog-lights might create clarity, it’s about time.

Last edited by mylove4cars; 04-06-2014 at 02:18 PM.
Old 04-06-2014, 02:25 PM
Drifting

Let's hope so, we know that foundation has a lot more potential than Acura has fully taken advantage of up to this point. If the initial marketing vid with the guy racing through the streets in the prototype where you hear the engine notes is any indication of the actual product, it sounds like a screamer and 330 hp won't be out of the question, all speculation on my part however.

Of course that sound was enhanced anyway you look at it but there is talks around that it is true to the actual production car in some capacity, so who knows? Sounds extra rev happy for a J series. Also agree the GT car is a possible hint at something more coming out as well at some point with this gen TLX. At this point a 6MT or 7MT would be a nice surprise even if only the 310 hp version.

Last edited by winstrolvtec; 04-06-2014 at 02:36 PM.
Old 04-06-2014, 02:31 PM
Advanced

Obviously they are going to make the technology work on the NSX platform and it already works on the accord platform so it's a matter of being innovative to get it in the TLX. I suspect it will happen as the 5th gen matures
Old 04-06-2014, 03:48 PM
Suzuka Master

Who said that?
From the distant past "In fact, following our Tokyo Q&A session, the only conclusion that one could take from Ito-san's comments was that Acura's previously stated "Tier 1" initiatives were completely incompatible with his plans for Honda going forward, and that they would be changing. Now, with according to this source these changes are beginning to be communicated to the dealer body". Its all "Smart Luxury" now, what ever that is.
Old 04-06-2014, 03:55 PM
Suzuka Master

BTW: I would like to thank 4cars & winst for providing some interesting entertainment during a boring stretch of doing about 900 rivet holes. Thread lasted just about long enough to get 90% of the interior sheet metal in place. Its always nice to have a chuckle to pass the time.

& 4cars, with me everyday is a good day
Old 04-06-2014, 05:11 PM
Drifting

The feelings are mutual as always my internet friend, love that toilet paper on the middle left of the last pic and coming up with interesting or unfortunate reasons in what exactly that is doing there. Not that I actually care much what you have going on in the pictures or it's my business or to know for that matter but you seem enthusiastic enough about it to freely share so good luck with it and happy that you're happy but I will continuing playing "I spy" with these entertaining photos.

Last edited by winstrolvtec; 04-06-2014 at 05:13 PM.
Old 04-06-2014, 05:24 PM
Suzuka Master

^^ LMAO!! That was a good observation about that toilet paper....2 ply or 3 ply??
Old 04-06-2014, 05:31 PM
Suzuka Master

Its 3 ply soft stuff for a runny nose I had last month. Better than Kleenex.
Old 04-06-2014, 05:37 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by winstrolvtec
Not that I actually care much what you have going on in the pictures.
And here I though you said you were a car enthusiast.
Old 04-06-2014, 05:38 PM
Suzuka Master

runny nose....sure
Old 04-06-2014, 05:44 PM
Suzuka Master

runny nose....sure
What did you expect me to say, I use orange buckets from Home Depot to save valuable sparing time for the two $57K TLX proponents?
Old 04-06-2014, 05:58 PM
Suzuka Master

^^ LMAO....Nothing beats honesty!! That's what I would do *ha ha ha*

Amazing work btw, I love watching the progress of your car progress. I have two friends are about to embark on a journey similar to yours. I wouldn't even know where to begin....and spend too much time on that orange bucket
Old 04-06-2014, 06:11 PM
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

My bad, what is a PD?
Old 04-06-2014, 06:40 PM
Suzuka Master

^^ LMAO....Nothing beats honesty!! That's what I would do *ha ha ha*

Amazing work btw, I love watching the progress of your car progress. I have two friends are about to embark on a journey similar to yours. I wouldn't even know where to begin....and spend too much time on that orange bucket
Best thing they can do, beside empty the bucket everyday, is see if there is a local group with the same project car. I have gotten a lot of good advice & building tips from the Raleigh, Cary guy's. Also if they are doing a FFR car the builders web site is great.

BTW the famous orange bucket is in the upper right of the top picture.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 04-06-2014 at 06:44 PM.
weather (04-06-2014)
Old 04-06-2014, 06:53 PM
Suzuka Master

I dunno about that. There's a lot of electronics involved. Are you really prepared for all that?
They could do what Ford does. Plug & play. My 4 cam Coyote crate engine has a full stand alone wiring harness, sensors, ECU etc.
Old 04-06-2014, 07:10 PM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

Received 345 Likes on 253 Posts
Building stuff like that is amazing. I know two guys in two different cities who have done similar projects recently. One put an LS7 engine in an old Jaguar and another who put a K22 engine in a Delorean. Even though they only recently meet each other, both are fantastic individuals to hang out with and learn stuff. BTW, they have Acuras as daily drivers, TSX and TL-S. Coincidence, I suppose...
Old 04-06-2014, 07:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Tonyware
Building stuff like that is amazing. I know two guys in two different cities who have done similar projects recently. One put an LS7 engine in an old Jaguar and another who put a K22 engine in a Delorean. Even though they only recently meet each other, both are fantastic individuals to hang out with and learn stuff. BTW, they have Acuras as daily drivers, TSX and TL-S. Coincidence, I suppose...
Doing this kind of stuff since the '60's. Todays kits make it a lot easier. We used to have to fab everything ourselves. The Chevy into the Jag must have been a bit of work.

My first pure engine swap was a small block into a 280ZX convertible. Prior to that I kept them in the family, Chevy into Chevy, Ford into Ford.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 04-06-2014 at 07:53 PM.
Old 04-06-2014, 10:39 PM
Drifting

And here I though you said you were a car enthusiast.
No don't get me wrong, great if you have the time and desire, however you do a have a right to your privacy is all but I couldn't resist, just an attempt to make light of the discussion around here, even if we get a bit off topic or what the relevancy of that sort of thing is.

Quick Reply: One option; and buy the TLX SH-AWD V6 for 57,000