JS+BRZ's brutally honest review of TLX

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2014, 03:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by Majofo
So.. your original argument is value.. we showed you that the buttoned up Accord is a better value that meets all your requirements.. being the right tool.. for the job.
Go back and read my post where I actually did state some of my must haves. The accord does not meet any of them that I listed. Nice car, but just doesn't have everything I want.
Old 09-26-2014, 03:53 PM
Race Director

Received 1,544 Likes on 1,197 Posts
Well it's good to know I'm not the only one who doesn't like the new headlights... Lol
Old 09-26-2014, 03:54 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by JS + BRZ
that you post in. Yes.

Please stop the nonsense trollish posts. You are trying too hard.
Wow
Old 09-26-2014, 03:55 PM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
Originally Posted by maharajamd
Well it's good to know I'm not the only one who doesn't like the new headlights... Lol
My impression on it was that it looked pretty good at night but looks weird during the day.
Old 09-26-2014, 03:55 PM
Team Owner

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,031 Posts
Originally Posted by jjsC5
What is the point of two exhausts if you can't see them? Most dual exhausts are not true duals anyway, they are two into one into two. I have not looked underneath a TLX yet, but I'd be surprised if it's a true dual system.
It's a purely cosmetic preference. I like to see two vapor trails in the rear view.
Old 09-26-2014, 03:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

I tried not to take this serious, but If that's the criteria.. might as well check out the caddy lineup.
I don't know where you live, but in Houston ventilated seats make a big difference. But if that is how you feel, then I suppose everyone up north who like heated seats should be driving Cadillacs too.

For the record, I did have a 2008 CTS and was very disappointed in several aspects of the car. I recently test drove a new V-Sport. It's actually a pretty impressive car with or without the ventilated seats turned on.
Old 09-26-2014, 03:58 PM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
I bought it in Sept of 2012 when the 9th gen first came out.

For the record the value prop question is seriously a tough one as the Accord is IMO the best value out there in mid sized sedans.
Old 09-26-2014, 03:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by svtmike
It's a purely cosmetic preference. I like to see two vapor trails in the rear view.
Cadillacs have duals on many of their cars. You might want to check them out
Old 09-26-2014, 04:05 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
I don't know where you live, but in Houston ventilated seats make a big difference. But if that is how you feel, then I suppose everyone up north who like heated seats should be driving Cadillacs too.

For the record, I did have a 2008 CTS and was very disappointed in several aspects of the car. I recently test drove a new V-Sport. It's actually a pretty impressive car with or without the ventilated seats turned on.
Old 09-26-2014, 04:21 PM

Received 5,885 Likes on 2,900 Posts
I believe the pink doggy resides in the southern half of Texas as well.
Old 09-26-2014, 04:40 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
Originally Posted by ttribe
Steers and queers
Old 09-26-2014, 04:46 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,825 Likes on 2,572 Posts
Go back and read my post where I actually did state some of my must haves. The accord does not meet any of them that I listed. Nice car, but just doesn't have everything I want.
I listed two cars/makes that have those features and you have ignored them
Old 09-26-2014, 04:58 PM
King of NYC

Received 216 Likes on 153 Posts
dafuq happened to this thread? lol.
Old 09-26-2014, 05:58 PM
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by MeehowsBRZ
Perfect example right here! People like this idiot who can't even come up with a different word to insult me with like really ugly things, and there's no reasoning with them.
Geez I wish I could be as cool and creative as this guy... Pardon me for my lack of uniqueness - does imbecile suit you better?? Maybe instead of calling other members a "tool" (which is why I said you were being one) we could talk about cars here. If that's too much to ask you can kindly shove off, as you offer very little to this forum.
The following users liked this post:
Stew4HD (09-26-2014)
Old 09-26-2014, 06:08 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
I think Honda's current interpretation is a gimmick. DCT is the future IMO.

MT.. followed by DCT, AT.. CVT if it's a rental.
What do you mean by Honda's current interpretation is a gimmick? I haven't been paying attention to their marketing to be fair..as I feel that Honda and Acura suck at marketing....

Originally Posted by CheeseyPoofs McNut
I drove a 13 Accord EXL (CVT/2.4) for a couple years - my experience (had the 2.4 TLX for 3 weeks) is

1) Accord is bigger inside - not a lot bigger though
2) Accord has better visibility in the rear

1) TLX rides MUCH better - the Accord is on the firm side for sure - the TLX has a much more refined ride
2) TLX is more quiet - the 13 Accord was the quietest Accord I've owned (had 5) but the TLX is a class above with regards to wind/road/engine noise. It may not rival a Lexus yet but it's nice and quiet. The Accord is no challenge to the TLX WRT to NVH
3) TLX handles nicer - less body roll and understeer.
4) The LED headlights in the TLX are worlds better than the standard lighting as you would imagine
5) Acceleration - the TLX feels about the same as the Accord when you get on the gas however the DCT vs CVT driving experience while doing so gives the edge to the TLX. The TLX may be a hair quicker.
6) Interior refinement - The TLX wins this - It's Accord-like inside but it feels like an upscale Accord to me.

So - IMO the two cars aren't really close at all when you compare them. Is the TLX a better "value" than the Accord - that's up to each individual.
Thanks for the summary. I almost forgot about the LED headlights.

When I sat in the TLX at the dealership, I felt that the car was really quiet. Past Honda's and Acura's, even in isolation with the engine off, were never this quiet. Honda had a hard time with lowering NVH and it was refreshing when I sat in the TLX and found that it's much improved. Of course, I still need to go for a test drive to see how noisy it is on the road.

I tried not to take this serious, but If that's the criteria.. might as well check out the caddy lineup.
My understanding is that the ATS has one of the best chassis in this segment, if not the best. However, based on the online configurator, the ATS 2.5 is actually noticeably more expensive than a TLX 2.4. For instance, a ATS 2.5 with luxury package, sun and sound package, cold weather package, and driver awareness package is over $39k after $3k discount. That's some way above the $35k TLX Tech.
Old 09-26-2014, 06:21 PM
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by iforyou

I haven't driven the TLX but had sat in one at a dealer. I test drove an Accord Touring V6 before. The TLX is no 2015 C Class, but it's noticeably more upscale than the Accord Touring inside.

I'm waiting for the driving experience event of the TLX to come here though. I'd like to see how the 8-DCT compared to the CVT in the Accord sport (i sat in one while my friend was test driving). I'd like to see if the NVH is better in the TLX.
Finally someone who gets what I'm saying about fit and finish etc. The TLX is indeed more upscale than any Accord.

I have driven a TLX DCT as well as an Accord with CVT and for me there is no comparison. Honda does a much better CVT than some, but I still hate those transmissions. That being said I cannot even consider the Accord 4- cylinder. If they offered the manual on an EX-L I'd probably be driving one now. But as it stands I would only consider the V-6 Accord simply because it has a traditional automatic.
Old 09-26-2014, 06:26 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
Now about a fully loaded V6 accord with LED vs a 2.4L TLX Tech?
pretty much the same price on paper.
But Accord is cheaper in reality, as of now.
Old 09-26-2014, 07:28 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ttribe
Well, there went the neighborhood.

Steers and queers
Ahhh, you live in Austin.
ttribe (09-26-2014)
Old 09-26-2014, 07:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 105 Likes on 74 Posts
This is acurazine buddy - we don't take kindly to honest reviews. Unless everything you have to say is about how perfect it is you a low down lying no good, varmint!

Special dispensation from the pope is allowed to those saying it needs more horse power or they should show the exhaust tips.

Seriously though, I appreciate your courage in stating your opinion in a forum pretty well stocked with people that don't cotton to views that aren't all positive to Acura. You'll usually get a "don't let the door hit you on the way out" post.

That being said, I really like some things about the TLX - e.g. the fact they finally took noise insulation seriously. I'm a bit surprised by the acceleration issues. I'd be willing to put up the beak if they did make a model based upon the new Honda Accord hybrid tech.

Last edited by boe_d; 09-26-2014 at 07:41 PM.
JS + XES (09-26-2014)
Old 09-26-2014, 07:42 PM
Team Owner

A lot of those who can provide honest opinion good and bad here are the ones who grew with Acura and Acurazine through good and bad.

cars come and go, but we have became the haters over the years

but we hate on everything from CLA to 320, from ILX to RLX and you can throw Crosstour in there as well.

Glad to see another OG member. i wonder how many of these ppl know AZ is actually www.acura-cl.com

Last edited by oonowindoo; 09-26-2014 at 07:48 PM.
Majofo (09-28-2014)
Old 09-26-2014, 08:10 PM
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
This TLX is well built and quiet but the Beak still looks like crap and the 17" wheels don't cut it either.
I think Acura missed the mark again...
For less money I would rather drive an Accord Touring, better looking car and better value than a $35K+ 4 cylinder TLX.
Acura can have this one...
Sarlacc (09-26-2014)
Old 09-26-2014, 08:45 PM
I drive a Subata.

Oh the wheels.

Yes. They are just terrible. The 17" ones are especially bad.

If anyone in here wants to pick up a TLX, please make sure to get a new set of wheels and tires the day after you pick up the car from the dealership.

The 18" ones didn't look much better. I would save the $ and get a set of aftermarket wheels and upgrade the tires while at it.
Old 09-26-2014, 08:49 PM
Suzuka Master

This is very entertaining. The OP had hardly any negative feedback and to read some of these posts, he was flamed to the ends of the earth and shamed to no end! The post I made that caused the fuss wasn't a slam on him, per se, just a statement about his opinion on one topic. The mess over that wasn't even aimed at the OP or involving his review.

I have been on here several years, there is always passion towards a subject or topic and some get out of hand. Ever since I was on the 3G forums, it's been the same thing. The fanboys getting flamed and vice versa. It is like this on every other forum I've been on.. it's nothing new.

The fanboys complain because the haters hate them for being fanboys and the "honest" reviewers complain when someone challenges their position.

Kumbya, kumbya...

Okay, I have my heat suit on. Do your worst! Now fetch me a shrubbery!
Old 09-26-2014, 09:00 PM
Team Owner

OP was flamed to the ends of the earth?

Are we reading the same thread?

Last edited by oonowindoo; 09-26-2014 at 09:04 PM.
Old 09-26-2014, 09:19 PM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by Stew4HD
This is very entertaining. The OP had hardly any negative feedback and to read some of these posts, he was flamed to the ends of the earth and shamed to no end! The post I made that caused the fuss wasn't a slam on him, per se, just a statement about his opinion on one topic. The mess over that wasn't even aimed at the OP or involving his review.

I have been on here several years, there is always passion towards a subject or topic and some get out of hand. Ever since I was on the 3G forums, it's been the same thing. The fanboys getting flamed and vice versa. It is like this on every other forum I've been on.. it's nothing new.

The fanboys complain because the haters hate them for being fanboys and the "honest" reviewers complain when someone challenges their position.

Kumbya, kumbya...

Okay, I have my heat suit on. Do your worst! Now fetch me a shrubbery!
You know...when you aren't showing off that giant stick in your butt, I actually appreciate your dry humor...but half the time you seem to take yourself and this sub forum, toooooooo seriously.
Old 09-26-2014, 09:30 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by JS + BRZ
Oh the wheels.

Yes. They are just terrible. The 17" ones are especially bad.

If anyone in here wants to pick up a TLX, please make sure to get a new set of wheels and tires the day after you pick up the car from the dealership.

The 18" ones didn't look much better. I would save the $ and get a set of aftermarket wheels and upgrade the tires while at it.

I feel your pain, Acura has fugly wheels for a while now...
Old 09-26-2014, 09:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by oonowindoo
OP was flamed to the ends of the earth?

Are we reading the same thread?
Interpreting Stew-ish: You'd think he was flamed to the ends of the earth by reading some of the posts in this thread. Not that he actually was, which was my point. A lot of people thanked him for his honesty.
Old 09-26-2014, 09:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Sonor Kid 2
I feel your pain, Acura has fugly wheels for a while now...
It helps distract you from the beak
Old 09-26-2014, 10:22 PM
▒JDM ¥ KING▒

Received 141 Likes on 65 Posts
Dude really?!

Who da f cares about your review?? Everybody knows you are a selfish hater. Take your subata, shove it up your hole and go back to ft86.

Seriously, a punchbag fartard starting a thread in here so all the lifeless creepy bullies from automotive section can migrate in this section and post their trashy nonsense...

Like I said, just move on and never comeback in here.

Have a life!
Old 09-26-2014, 10:24 PM
Burning Brakes

It is refreshing to see such open minded and constructive counterpoint to your review.
Sarlacc (09-26-2014)
Old 09-26-2014, 10:24 PM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by ggesq
Last warning. Next personal attack gets a week off.

Sent from my iPhone using IB AutoGroup
Originally Posted by MuGen7Modulo
Dude really?!

Who da f cares about your review?? Everybody knows you are a selfish hater. Take your subata, shove it up your hole and go back to ft86.

Seriously, a punchbag fartard starting a thread in here so all the lifeless creepy bullies from automotive section can migrate in this section and post their trashy nonsense...

Have a life!
Old 09-26-2014, 10:25 PM
Suzuka Master

Dude really?!

Have a life!
QFT! Thanks for speaking the truth
Old 09-26-2014, 10:25 PM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by Stew4HD
QFT! Thanks for speaking the truth
And there you go again. The stick must have shifted.
Old 09-26-2014, 10:33 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Originally Posted by iforyou
What do you mean by Honda's current interpretation is a gimmick? I haven't been paying attention to their marketing to be fair..as I feel that Honda and Acura suck at marketing....
A true DCT doesnt have a torque converter
The following 2 users liked this post by justnspace:
jjsC5 (09-27-2014), Majofo (09-28-2014)
Old 09-26-2014, 11:22 PM
Team Owner

Dude really?!

Have a life!

Originally Posted by Sarlacc
i was just about to multi quote that.
Old 09-26-2014, 11:36 PM
Team Owner

Dude really?!

Have a life!
Why are you here? i think we have the same car.

before you get your 1 week off, come back and answer why you continue to claim that PSed ILX grille is the new grille after everyone told you it was PSed in the ILX Section.

Made up some BS about Japan intervene US division? full of shit.

https://acurazine.com/forums/automot.../#post15168413
Old 09-27-2014, 12:13 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by boe_d
It helps distract you from the beak

True, LOL!
Part of the issue with the beak is how it looks compared with the tiny head light housings, it makes it look larger than it is in reality and hurts the front end.

The 17" wheels look silly to me as well, if I'm going to spend $35K I want the whole package, I'm not sure how Acura missed on this one.
I have to spend $40K to get half way decent wheels, they pulled this same crap on the last TL.

Once upon a time Acura led the industry in this segment, they have been playing catch up ever since they launched the 4G TL.
Old 09-27-2014, 12:47 AM
I drive a Subata.

What happened to your last warning? Fire away?

If you don't fire away, I'm going to start trolling people like they are trolling in this thread. I've resisted the urge pretty good, no?

You know I'm pretty damn good trolling, right?
Old 09-27-2014, 05:14 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
This thread has outlived its usefulness. Finally read through and what was a good, blunt, honest review has turned into a hatefest. It's fine to discuss, it's fine to be passionate, but it's not fine to personally attack other posters.

The following 5 users liked this post by neuronbob:
a35tl (09-27-2014), ggesq (09-27-2014), Ken1997TL (10-23-2014), Majofo (09-28-2014), Yumcha (09-27-2014)