Has anyone taken delivery of a SH-AWD?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 05:22 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Placing
Originally Posted by Xterminator
I went over to my local dealership this past weekend to ask about an estimated delivery date and they told me they were still unable to put my order in for the SH-AWD Advance (as of last Friday). They estimated that it might not be until December until the delivery. Is my local dealership the only one who hasn't been able to get any SH-AWD orders in? It looks like some people here managed to have build dates already.
My dealer was able to place my SH-AWD Advance order the last week of August. They should have no problem placing the order for you.

Last edited by rickd; 09-24-2014 at 05:25 PM.
Old 09-24-2014, 05:28 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by L's TL
Looks like I'll be making my rounds at the dealerships
Tischer sold theirs yesterday at 3. Hopefully you can still track one down.
Old 09-24-2014, 05:31 PM
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Stew4HD
Now that sounds like fun. Very cool invitation! I know you are going to enjoy it!
Yea I'm really looking forward to this event!
We will likely have some snow on the ground by then so it should provide for an interesting comparison between all the various type of AWD and traction systems.
IMHO it's a gutsy move by Acura! After driving the so called competions six cylinders models they are going to have to play the value card, hard!
Old 09-27-2014, 05:45 AM
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts
I visited my dealership in MA yesterday, and they told me that my SSM TLX SH-AWD Advance won't be delivered 'til about mid-November. This frustrates me since mine was the first one ordered by this, for me several months ago. They said the SSM SH-AWD Advance TLXs are not even being built yet, and they might be having trouble with the Stop-Start technology. Aaaarrghhh! Can anyone tell me if this information regarding my late delivery seems to be a correct story? Thanks.
Old 09-27-2014, 06:02 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
I know this doesn't help, but the colors are likely built in batches and like with the PAWS TLX, SSM was among the last to start. With that said, have you looking into a dealer swap, if there are any to be had, especially since the SH-AWD models are finally starting to appear?

On a side note: GM offers order tracking for factory orders,mane those in the know can even track their car as it's on the cross country train trip. It was awesome tracking my CTS-V wagon through the order and build process. Does Acura offer something similar? If not they should.
Old 09-27-2014, 06:11 AM
Racer

Received 116 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
I know this doesn't help, but the colors are likely built in batches and like with the PAWS TLX, SSM was among the last to start. With that said, have you looking into a dealer swap, if there are any to be had, especially since the SH-AWD models are finally starting to appear?

On a side note: GM offers order tracking for factory orders,mane those in the know can even track their car as it's on the cross country train trip. It was awesome tracking my CTS-V wagon through the order and build process. Does Acura offer something similar? If not they should.
I agree. Since Acura is working on its image this is something they should do. My friends tracked their BMW while it was getting built in Germany, on the boat across the Atlantic, to Newark/Bayonne where it was unloaded yesterday.
Old 09-27-2014, 07:05 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by pmartone
I visited my dealership in MA yesterday, and they told me that my SSM TLX SH-AWD Advance won't be delivered 'til about mid-November. This frustrates me since mine was the first one ordered by this, for me several months ago. They said the SSM SH-AWD Advance TLXs are not even being built yet, and they might be having trouble with the Stop-Start technology. Aaaarrghhh! Can anyone tell me if this information regarding my late delivery seems to be a correct story? Thanks.
did you see this post:
4WDrift

Saves from having to check all dealers - locator LINK
Change to your zip, pick all miles radius, select Drivetrain - AWD, sort nearest. Only 53 AWDs of 3780 total USA wide currently.
They are SH-AWD Advance models out there.. just none close to me.

Last edited by Stew4HD; 09-27-2014 at 07:08 AM.
Old 09-27-2014, 08:18 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
Originally Posted by Stew4HD
did you see this post:

They are SH-AWD Advance models out there.. just none close to me.
I just used thir website, and pulled up 28 cars within 500 miles of me. The only cars that didn't have stock photos listed, and were actually pics of cars taken on the lots clearly didn't have SH-AWD badges on their rears.

I wonder if some dealers are just listing cars they are expecting instead of what is actually on hand.

Was at the dealer yesterday getting work on my wife's car, and bumped into my salesman. He said my Advance model was still 4-6 weeks out.

According to him, the TLX has been selling very well, and besides the AWD versions that they haven't received yet, they have been having trouble keeping up with the demand for the base 4 cylinder models.
Old 09-27-2014, 08:22 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Mr Hyde
I just used thir website, and pulled up 28 cars within 500 miles of me. The only cars that didn't have stock photos listed, and were actually pics of cars taken on the lots clearly didn't have SH-AWD badges on their rears.

I wonder if some dealers are just listing cars they are expecting instead of what is actually on hand.

Was at the dealer yesterday getting work on my wife's car, and bumped into my salesman. He said my Advance model was still 4-6 weeks out.

According to him, the TLX has been selling very well, and besides the AWD versions that they haven't received yet, they have been having trouble keeping up with the demand for the base 4 cylinder models.
Ah, I see. I never looked close at any of the cars they showed on the results. I just looked at the distance. Another 6+/- weeks to go.
Old 09-27-2014, 11:16 AM
Instructor

Dealer experience is something Acura REALLY needs to work on!
As someone else pointed out they can track their car from Germany, it would be nice if Acura did something like this. The Lexus dealer was able to give me an exact date for a new GS350 AWD in the configuration I'm looking at?

From Acura bulletins the V6 is out selling the 4 by a wide margin, so are they really that hard to get?

Anyway here in Canada they still won't even give a date for the AWD
I'm not putting money down on a brand new model, so hopefully I don't wake up some day and decide I want a new car now, and go buy a competitors model without getting to try the AWD.
Old 09-27-2014, 12:42 PM
Pro

Received 197 Likes on 111 Posts
Patience.... Anything worth having is worth waiting for. I ordered my BWP Tech SH-AWD the third week in August and it won't be at the dealership until mid-November.
Old 09-27-2014, 01:01 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
I was in Jay Wolfe Acura/Kansas City this week. They said they're getting their first ones in a week or two.
Old 09-27-2014, 01:52 PM
Instructor

Very strange, just got a call from our local dealer, here in Canada.
Two AWD's off loaded today!!! And both in Silver !
One is sold, but the Elite isn't so I'm heading down to have a look. No test driving though until they get more in stock
Old 09-27-2014, 02:22 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
I think we got a couple. We've been mostly out of inventory for ~3 months and just received 91 cars over 3 days. Trying to sort through everything is tough. Getting all the PDIs done is tough too, but should be done by next week. Looking forward to trying out the new AWD system.
Old 09-27-2014, 02:29 PM
Instructor

I just it strange that people are waiting for pre-orders and cars are showing up at dealers all the way out west in Canada.
I'd be quite irate if I had pre-ordered a vehicle and others off the street got the car before me.
As I stated before, Acura has some work to do in the "buying experience" area.
Old 09-27-2014, 02:53 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by Jmark
I just it strange that people are waiting for pre-orders and cars are showing up at dealers all the way out west in Canada.
I'd be quite irate if I had pre-ordered a vehicle and others off the street got the car before me.
As I stated before, Acura has some work to do in the "buying experience" area.
To be clear, nobody ordered anything. Not even dealers. As far as I know, initial orders are 'coverage' units assigned by Acura. It's possible that people think that reserving something is an order, but it's just earmarking something already coming and not a traditional 'order'. Going forward, dealers will start influencing what inventory we receive and filling specific color combinations, but these could take 2-3 months to fulfill.
The following users liked this post:
4WDrift (09-27-2014)
Old 09-27-2014, 03:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 400 Likes on 282 Posts
Many years ago I participated in the development of a vehicle ordering and allocation system for a major corporate car manufacturer. The permutations of models, colors, and dealers is massive, and the allocations to individual dealers were set before the cars were built. Actual sales were not taken into account.

Keep in minds that the Canadian models are different from the US ones and cannot be interchanged. Put this all together and it is almost certain that some unsold models will be delivered to one dealer while that specific model/color has been sold in another state. This is where the trade process comes in, and is most effective within state.

There may be some room for Acura to fine tune their system, but I would not be too quick to criticize them.
Old 09-27-2014, 03:24 PM
2nd Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I test drove the SH-AWD yesterday. As far as I can tell, no wheel slip/hop that I could tell off the line. I know that was a complaint with the FWD. It was a perfect sunny day, so no weather. Handling in perfect conditions didn't seem much different than the I4. If anything, the I4 maybe felt a touch lighter. Both exhibited significant wheel squeal when aggressively taking the corners. So the wheels are holding back the car.

The V6 was a nice upgrade over the I4. It was definitely, much smoother. However, the 9 speed transmission felts more sluggish than the 8-DCT. Rolling slowing off the line, than hammering it resulted in a noticeable delay in downshifting (sport mode). Sport plus helped somewhat. To me, the 8-DCT simply felts much quicker in shifts.

Anyway, that is my quick impression for what it's worth.
The following 2 users liked this post by RainSong:
4WDrift (09-27-2014), wlkeel (09-27-2014)
Old 09-27-2014, 04:51 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Colin
To be clear, nobody ordered anything. Not even dealers. As far as I know, initial orders are 'coverage' units assigned by Acura. It's possible that people think that reserving something is an order, but it's just earmarking something already coming and not a traditional 'order'. Going forward, dealers will start influencing what inventory we receive and filling specific color combinations, but these could take 2-3 months to fulfill.
Thanks Colin, if I had a "pre-order" explained to me as you did I wouldn't be upset.
I've never pre-ordered a car and figured doing so would guarantee me one of the first ones off the line.

Salesman figures it will be ready to test drive on Tuesday. He tells me on the phone the new arrivals are silver ( as that's the color he knows I want) but when I got to the dealer, they somehow turned grey
Old 09-27-2014, 06:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Correct. That's how my "order" went. I reserved one of the units that was part of my dealerships first allocation of AWD units.
Old 09-27-2014, 07:57 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can anyone confirm what tires are on the SH-AWD? thank you.
Old 09-28-2014, 01:03 AM
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by summer_ming
Can anyone confirm what tires are on the SH-AWD? thank you.
Goodyear LS2

I think we got a couple. We've been mostly out of inventory for ~3 months and just received 91 cars over 3 days. Trying to sort through everything is tough. Getting all the PDIs done is tough too, but should be done by next week. Looking forward to trying out the new AWD system.
Wow, you guys do get them by the boatload.

I just used thir website, and pulled up 28 cars within 500 miles of me. The only cars that didn't have stock photos listed, and were actually pics of cars taken on the lots clearly didn't have SH-AWD badges on their rears. I wonder if some dealers are just listing cars they are expecting instead of what is actually on hand.
Could be, I mean a photo of a xxx color TLX SH-AWD doesn't have to be that exact one, though I agree it should be the correct model w/ AWD; they probably don't realize the difference yet. The cars.com site lists actual VINs for each dealer, so those either are the ones coming or already there.

You'd think since Acura has already built several thousand I4/V6 FWDs and either dealer stock is good or still shipping from the factory, now they've switched the line to do SH-AWDs for a while in color batches, makes sense.

The only SH-AWD Advance for DC in Gaithersburg is gone, along with 2 others nationwide today. I thought from prior info that Basque Red and Fusion Blue would only be available on base / Tech models, but that appears out since there are several Advances in those colors.
Old 09-28-2014, 07:40 AM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Got word yesterday that my 15 AWD - Tech (Graphite Luster Metallic / Graystone) shipped yesterday and will be here within 2-3 days, if even that long at all.

.. but who's counting!
Old 09-28-2014, 07:47 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Tswaibel
Got word yesterday that my 15 AWD - Tech (Graphite Luster Metallic / Graystone) shipped yesterday and will be here within 2-3 days, if even that long at all.

.. but who's counting!
That's the kind of notice to make your day! Keep us posted!
Old 09-28-2014, 08:22 AM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts
Originally Posted by 9SpeedTran
I ordered my BWP Tech SH-AWD the third week in August and it won't be at the dealership until mid-November.
I'm a hop skip and a jump from Marysville, you'd think we'd get some here pretty quick, but still no word on ETA here in Motown.
Old 09-28-2014, 11:58 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
I know this doesn't help, but the colors are likely built in batches and like with the PAWS TLX, SSM was among the last to start.
That would suck, I toured the BMW plant in SC and they switch colors ever few cars and if necessary can run a single car in a single color.
Old 09-28-2014, 12:01 PM
Suzuka Master

[QUOTE=4WDrift;15177826]Goodyear LS2

/QUOTE]

Damn, no more Michelin! WTF? boy did they really chip away at every penny on the TLX.
Old 09-28-2014, 01:04 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
I see some in inventory up here in the DFW area at Mac Churchill, Vandergriff, and David McDavid... a total of about 4 I think. But I'm not sure if they're in stock, on the way, or already sold ...
Old 09-28-2014, 03:00 PM
Pro

[QUOTE=KeithL;15178041]
Originally Posted by 4WDrift
Goodyear LS2

/QUOTE]

Damn, no more Michelin! WTF? boy did they really chip away at every penny on the TLX.
From what I've seen and heard, they selected the tires based on noise and gas mileage, which I understand but which I personally think is ridiculous. But, my 2007 TL Type S came with Michelin touring tires that squealed in corners, were sloppy in steering, and slippery on wet roads. It wasnt until I replaced them with Michelin Pilot Sport AS+ all around that I had the car I thought I was paying for. That is why I am putting the 19" wheels on it with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3s. Then I will have the TLX I am paying for.
Old 09-28-2014, 03:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Tswaibel

.. but who's counting!
Nice! Be sure to post some pics up!
Old 09-28-2014, 04:26 PM
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by KeithL
You can pay the dealer $1200 for a set in exchange, same with the 19s @ $1xxx. Instead I'd buy tires and wheels afterwards and still have the stocks for winter.
Old 09-28-2014, 08:51 PM
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 33 Posts
Looks like the first dealership with pictures of a SH-AWD (badge on back compared to others that had pictures of the FWD version). Good sign for those of us waiting to test drive.

2015 Acura TLX V6 Tech, $42,345 - Cars.com
Old 09-29-2014, 06:00 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by 4WDrift
You can pay the dealer $1200 for a set in exchange, same with the 19s @ $1xxx. Instead I'd buy tires and wheels afterwards and still have the stocks for winter.
True, but I would likely lease and don;t feel like putting new rubber on a new car because Acura took a cheap route this time.
Old 09-29-2014, 07:00 AM
Drifting

Received 564 Likes on 363 Posts
My wife's '13 Accord came with Goodyear tires. I told the sales rep we didn't want it unless they swapped the tires for Michelins, which they did with a smile and for no charge. But that might be a different deal, because some Accords still come with Michelins.
Old 09-29-2014, 07:32 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by KeithL
True, but I would likely lease and don;t feel like putting new rubber on a new car because Acura took a cheap route this time.
Don't assume the OEM tires are cheap. I have been shocked at the prices for some OEM tires, which I suspect is precisely because they are OEM tires and most people just replace what's already on there. The Michelin Pilot Sports AS+ were cheaper than the Michelin OEM tires on my 2007 TL Type S.
Old 09-29-2014, 07:51 AM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

Received 345 Likes on 253 Posts
Speaking of tires....

Tirerack rates the LS2 as trash compare to the A/S3.

Why Acura? Why?
Old 09-29-2014, 11:10 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Tonyware
Speaking of tires....

Tirerack rates the LS2 as trash compare to the A/S3.

Why Acura? Why?

"I'm sure it made sense at the time." (I use that phrase in A LOT of situations lol)
Old 09-29-2014, 12:24 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
TLX is selling like hotcakes !!!!!
Old 09-29-2014, 12:48 PM
Racer

Received 116 Likes on 70 Posts
All of my past Acuras have had Michelins which I've always been quite satisfied with. I have a feeling I'm not going to like the tires on my new TLX. Not only are they 225 series tires that have to deal with 290HP they aren't rated the best on Tire Rack (esp. the Goodyear). Interestingly, the tread width on a Pilot Sport AS3 is over an inch wider than the Bridgestone Potenza RE97AS for the SAME size tire. That extra inch at each corner would probably do a lot to help wheel spin and enhance cornering even more. Granted Acura gave us a cool rimless rearview mirror, better armrest padding, added sound deadening, better engines, etc but I'd gladly give up the rimless mirror to make up the incremental cost of making something like the AS3 standard.
Old 09-29-2014, 01:20 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by jeich182
All of my past Acuras have had Michelins which I've always been quite satisfied with. I have a feeling I'm not going to like the tires on my new TLX. Not only are they 225 series tires that have to deal with 290HP they aren't rated the best on Tire Rack (esp. the Goodyear). Interestingly, the tread width on a Pilot Sport AS3 is over an inch wider than the Bridgestone Potenza RE97AS for the SAME size tire. That extra inch at each corner would probably do a lot to help wheel spin and enhance cornering even more. Granted Acura gave us a cool rimless rearview mirror, better armrest padding, added sound deadening, better engines, etc but I'd gladly give up the rimless mirror to make up the incremental cost of making something like the AS3 standard.
Everyone I've talked to who has put the AS3s on their car has been astounded. They handle on dry roads like a summer tire and grip on wet like you won't believe. They have a pretty stiff sidewall though so (especially with the stiff suspension of the TL Type S) they can make things a bit bumpier than you might be used to. BTW, the 19" wheels on the TLX call for a 245/40 R19 tire. :-)

Quick Reply: Has anyone taken delivery of a SH-AWD?