2018 A-Spec reviews

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 11:32 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,600 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony Pac
I have no problem if someone has an opinion about Acura and likes or dislikes the brand. I have the 4th G TL and my father in law has 2011 G37. I have compared my car multiple times with him and I can tell you that I have better seats, sound system and better looking dashboard. I am sure TLX did not change much that we compare it to A3 and Buick.
Thats what makes reviews interesting. Also they are great reviews if the reviewer agrees with a specific fan base opinion but not so good when he differs from the fan base.

In this case the reviewer seems to have a good overall track record so maybe he has valid reasons for what he wrote. Can't believe he just made them up to pi** off TLX fans.

BTW I think the car magazines are starting to change their opinions about BUICK. Some of the 2018 models like the 310HP GS got good reviews.
Old 08-28-2017, 04:41 PM
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 60 Posts
Based on Alex's review and also from POV first impressions, i get a feeling that Acura could / should have changed SHAWD logic to send more power to rear wheels even when vehicle is in mild turns and not accelerating much. I think whatever power it has at that rpm, it 70% if sent to rear and majority of that 70% to rear outer wheel, complaints of understeer can be mitigated to a great extent.
Old 08-28-2017, 08:02 PM
Racer

Received 97 Likes on 60 Posts

This guy does cool videos. Nice recap.

Last edited by FLYGUY31; 08-28-2017 at 08:05 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by FLYGUY31:
a35tl (08-28-2017), CheeseyPoofs McNut (08-29-2017), jyrtl (08-29-2017), slimm1469 (08-29-2017)
Old 08-28-2017, 09:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
I see that some don't agree with what Alex compared to, but that reflects what's available in the TLX's size, and in the same price range. I can understand why he did his comparo in that way.

You're letting his analysis get in the way of his very positive review of the car itself.

I also have no problem with Acura being seen as a value lux brand. Just remember....people who have money often have it because they don't spend as much conspicuously. The doctor's lots at my hospitals are full of MDXs and TLXs around here, almost as many as BMWs and Mercs.
The following 2 users liked this post by neuronbob:
a35tl (08-28-2017), mapleloaf (09-21-2017)
Old 08-28-2017, 09:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 361 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
I see that some don't agree with what Alex compared to, but that reflects what's available in the TLX's size, and in the same price range. I can understand why he did his comparo in that way.
May as well include the Camry V6, Accord V6, Maxima, and the kitchen sink. His review was not very focused, only reflected price which is not exactly fair.
The A3 and CLA are much smaller, yet the IS 350 was not even mentioned. For sure the FSport competes with the Aspec, more so than the ES.

Last edited by pyrodan007; 08-28-2017 at 09:43 PM.
Old 08-28-2017, 10:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by pyrodan007
May as well include the Camry V6, Accord V6, Maxima, and the kitchen sink. His review was not very focused, only reflected price which is not exactly fair.
The A3 and CLA are much smaller, yet the IS 350 was not even mentioned. For sure the FSport competes with the Aspec, more so than the ES.
That's a fair point. However, I think he was looking at two comparos at the same time. First, comparison to other cars in the same price range, and second, other luxury cars of the same size. It kind of reflects how the TLX took over for both the TSX (the A3, CLA, IS competitor) and TL (Q50, A4, ES? competitor).
The following users liked this post:
pyrodan007 (08-28-2017)
Old 08-29-2017, 07:45 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,618 Likes on 975 Posts
Very well said!

He was focusing too much on the price than actual car and it's features. I never felt that way with him. I am not sure why did he do that. May be that was his intention or he did a quick review and focused on price only.
Old 08-29-2017, 11:49 AM
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Frankly I don't care what brand a reviewer uses for comparison. I'm looking for driving impressions. The review posted by FLYGUY31 (gracias senor piloto) is the second to blame the OEM Michelins for understeer. Very thorough driving critique and again, spot on with the several others seen.
Old 08-29-2017, 12:07 PM
Suzuka Master

Quick question. If the TLX compared to the cars most fans want it compared to in the eyes of the buying public, being its thousands of dollars less expensive, why isn't it selling like hot cakes? Its a good looking car, nicely made, reasonable power & it should be the bargain of the century.

The TLX is bigger than the Lexus, Audi, etc always comes up in these conversations. Agree the TLX is bigger than my car, but price being irrelevant, to me that's a negative. There are also a lot of cars with more interior volume that cost less than a TLX like the Accord which has 4 more inches rear leg room a bigger trunk & a higher payload capacity. But we don't want to talk about them here because they are not "luxury" cars.

At one time Acura had the formula but they lost it when the 4G came out. Car was still a good performer but the look & price increase turned off so many former repeat buyers that it lost half it sales. The car was pretty much forgotten about over the course on the 4G cycle.

The TLX is released & Acura pretty much has to rebuild the brand. So what do they do try to sell it as a hot rod with no real hotts. The buyers they lost during 4G are not going to come back because the car does not match the expectations built up in the advertising & there memories of a class leading performance car.

Can't prove a negative but how many people not familiar with Acura are not showing up to take a look because corporate marketing is not pitching the things they want. Near Luxury at a mid-level price. This car is nor going to sell to people who tip to the sport sedan side of the market, where all the TLX advertising dollars are going, but will sell to people who want to have a nicer car than the national average $35K product.
The following 2 users liked this post by BEAR-AvHistory:
Monte TLS,MAX (08-29-2017), pyrodan007 (08-29-2017)
Old 08-29-2017, 02:07 PM
Advanced

^^ good analysis. Marketing & advertising are two different processes. The Acura marketing message needs tweaking. Then, they seriously need to invest in advertising it. One a brand has lost its mojo, it's way harder to get it back than it was to establish it. I get small Acura branding messages on the internet, you may also, just for being on this forum. "That kind of thrill," I think. Well, it isn't. The ugly 4th gen turned a lot of people off. Then the 5th gen was so unreliable, it turned off more. The 2018 TLX so far doesn't seem to have holes in it, so it seems worthy of an investment in advertising. But as you say, the proper message doesn't exist yet.

Last edited by slimm1469; 08-29-2017 at 02:10 PM.
Old 08-29-2017, 02:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by slimm1469
^^ good analysis. Marketing & advertising are two different processes. The Acura marketing message needs tweaking. Then, they seriously need to invest in advertising it. One a brand has lost its mojo, it's way harder to get it back than it was to establish it. I get small Acura branding messages on the internet, you may also, just for being on this forum. "That kind of thrill," I think. Well, it isn't. The ugly 4th gen turned a lot of people off. Then the 5th gen was so unreliable, it turned off more. The 2018 TLX so far doesn't seem to have holes in it, so it seems worthy of an investment in advertising. But as you say, the proper message doesn't exist yet.
As mentioned in the nighttime video posted above, it still has the ZF9 stigmata, no matter how much work they put into it. As soon as you mention "slow transmission' in a sports sedan, that designation is automatically shattered. There goes the whole 'fast thrill' marketing. This is not even mentioning all the past problems of the pre-MMC that Acura refused to fix and turned soooo many people away.

Relating to customer appreciation, I booked a test drive for an Infiniti Q50 Red Sport in two weeks. The dealer asked me if I wanted to have my TLX lease evaluated for buy back, was shocked since I didn't even mention it. Not even Acura ITSELF wants its own shit back to keep a sale. It's these little things that keep customers, not just the car itself. I was SOOO happy when they offered to buy my TLX, pure happiness lol.

I then have a A5 Sportback technik test drive the week after. Planning to offload my TLX before winter starts and be done with it...

Last edited by pyrodan007; 08-29-2017 at 03:09 PM.
Old 08-29-2017, 03:45 PM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
As mentioned in the nighttime video posted above, it still has the ZF9 stigmata, no matter how much work they put into it. As soon as you mention "slow transmission' in a sports sedan, that designation is automatically shattered. There goes the whole 'fast thrill' marketing. This is not even mentioning all the past problems of the pre-MMC that Acura refused to fix and turned soooo many people away.

Relating to customer appreciation, I booked a test drive for an Infiniti Q50 Red Sport in two weeks. The dealer asked me if I wanted to have my TLX lease evaluated for buy back, was shocked since I didn't even mention it. Not even Acura ITSELF wants its own shit back to keep a sale. It's these little things that keep customers, not just the car itself. I was SOOO happy when they offered to buy my TLX, pure happiness lol.

I then have a A5 Sportback technik test drive the week after. Planning to offload my TLX before winter starts and be done with it...
Good luck on the test drives! Always fun to shop for a new car.
Old 08-29-2017, 04:29 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 846 Likes on 526 Posts
Originally Posted by alpha0
Based on Alex's review and also from POV first impressions, i get a feeling that Acura could / should have changed SHAWD logic to send more power to rear wheels even when vehicle is in mild turns and not accelerating much. I think whatever power it has at that rpm, it 70% if sent to rear and majority of that 70% to rear outer wheel, complaints of understeer can be mitigated to a great extent.
That's a possibility. But I think it's more to do with chassis and suspension tuning than the torque bias. The 3G TL-S, being a FWD, didn't have much understeering issue. The FWD Type R's also don't have much understeering issue.

The things is, while Acura is trying to market the TLX as the ultimate sports sedan, the reality is that, even for the A-spec trim, it's still a semi-luxury sedan with some sportiness. As such, its chassis and suspension are tuned for understeering.
Old 08-29-2017, 04:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CheeseyPoofs McNut
Good luck on the test drives! Always fun to shop for a new car.
Why thank you good sir!
Will report back, always nice to compare current models to the Aspec and pre-MMC TLX
Old 08-29-2017, 06:08 PM
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
......Can't prove a negative but how many people not familiar with Acura are not showing up to take a look because corporate marketing is not pitching the things they want. Near Luxury at a mid-level price. This car is nor going to sell to people who tip to the sport sedan side of the market, where all the TLX advertising dollars are going, but will sell to people who want to have a nicer car than the national average $35K product.
I hate to admit it, Bear, but sometimes I don't read every paragraph you write. But this one nails it, IMO. This is the main reason I bought mine. Of course, I didn't pay any attention to the advertising at the time, rarely do.

Thanks for the insight.
Old 08-30-2017, 10:11 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by wlkeel
I hate to admit it, Bear, but sometimes I don't read every paragraph you write
I am shocked, simply shocked.
wlkeel (08-30-2017)
Old 08-30-2017, 11:45 AM
Pro

Received 542 Likes on 265 Posts
Why thank you good sir!
Will report back, always nice to compare current models to the Aspec and pre-MMC TLX
I was not impressed after testing the Red Sport. Yes, the car is FAST but it ends there for me. The interior squeeked and rattled over bigger bumps, the steering was horrendous (non DAS) and it was still bad, suspension was just OK. In my view the price tag did not justify the purchase. At this point you're better off just to go for S4 ot 340.
The following 2 users liked this post by dmski:
graphicguy (09-01-2017), TLXTXDL (09-02-2017)
Old 09-06-2017, 06:14 PM
Racer

I had a quick test drive of Aspec SHAWD few days back. I did like the vehicle, not sure whether i want to pay about 43k + TTL for it.

_ Transmission is smooth. I only drove in sport mode. Once i felt free spinning as if clutch is not engaged but barely noticeable.
- I felt some vibration around 65 MPH on freeways, nothing significant but i will definitely test on freeway one more time before i buy one.
- Seats are very comfortable, rear leg room is sufficient. I wish side bolsters were adjustable, someone with large body frame would appreciate it. I prefer red leather over alcantara.
-I thought one has to disbale auto idle start stop every time, sales guy told that once you turn it off, it stays off when you start engine again.. I did not test it. Can someone confirm?
- Coming from honda, i feel steering and gas pedal were hard (sport mode), i assume it would loosen up a bit after about 1000 miles or so. Can someone pls confirm?

I have driven accords extensively. Not sure about how people will react to exterior of 2018 accords but i feel 2018 accords will definitely give FWD TLX a run for its money.
fryrice (09-06-2017)
Old 09-06-2017, 07:11 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I can confirm the auto stop/start shuts off completely even after a restart as I had a 2016 TLX for about a week when my TL was in the shop getting the airbag recall done.

I would also try the paddles from 5th down to 4th to 3rd if there is that "dog leash" affect where when downshifting the car lurks forward and not really using the engine brake to slow down. When I had the loaner I almost rear ended someone because I was hoping the downshift would slow the car but instead it lurked forward.

Keep us updated if you do get the car. My local dealership has been asking me to trade in my 2012 TL for the new 2018 but I'm not sure if I want car payments right now as my 2012 is paid off.
Old 09-06-2017, 07:54 PM
6 Forward 1 Back

Received 312 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally Posted by fryrice
I can confirm the auto stop/start shuts off completely even after a restart as I had a 2016 TLX for about a week when my TL was in the shop getting the airbag recall done.

I would also try the paddles from 5th down to 4th to 3rd if there is that "dog leash" affect where when downshifting the car lurks forward and not really using the engine brake to slow down. When I had the loaner I almost rear ended someone because I was hoping the downshift would slow the car but instead it lurked forward.

Keep us updated if you do get the car. My local dealership has been asking me to trade in my 2012 TL for the new 2018 but I'm not sure if I want car payments right now as my 2012 is paid off.
Maybe they changed that on the 2018 but auto start/stop doesn't stay off permanently on mine. It turns back on every time I start it. Let me know if there is some trick.

I have experienced the lurching you mentioned on downshifting. Thought it might be something wrong when it happened a couple of times. I also was expecting it to engine brake the car not surge forward.
fryrice (09-06-2017)
Old 09-11-2017, 03:41 PM
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 10 Posts
I see this review was just written up in the last day or so:
Acura TLX A-Spec: Review, pictures, specs - Business Insider

I have a Blue/black AWD A-Spec on order now. (they are hard to find out here in the north east). I test drove it 3 different times and really fell in love. This review is very similar to how I feel about the car. I cross shopped a Lexus GS and couldn't justify the 15k price difference for a little more room. The interior materials were nicer on the lexus but other than that I couldn't see anything better. It also felt a lot bigger. It's funny how many comparos pit the TLX against the bmw 3, a4, C class, and lexus IS. However sizewise the TLX is at the bigger end of the "entry level" luxury sports sedan size.
Old 09-11-2017, 03:56 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by UNCMo96

I have a Blue/black AWD A-Spec on order now. (they are hard to find out here in the north east). I test drove it 3 different times and really fell in love. This review is very similar to how I feel about the car. I cross shopped a Lexus GS and couldn't justify the 15k price difference for a little more room. The interior materials were nicer on the lexus but other than that I couldn't see anything better. It also felt a lot bigger. It's funny how many comparos pit the TLX against the bmw 3, a4, C class, and lexus IS. However sizewise the TLX is at the bigger end of the "entry level" luxury sports sedan size.
I am still debating whether TLX SHAWD Aspec is worth 12k more than Accord V6 Touring.
Old 09-11-2017, 04:31 PM
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 10 Posts
I am still debating whether TLX SHAWD Aspec is worth 12k more than Accord V6 Touring.
From what I understand the A-spec has AWD, sportier suspension and steering feel, better stereo, cosmetic features inside and outside, sport+ which gives a closer to manual feel than the accord sport mode. To me that's worth the upgrade

There's the law of diminishing returns. Take a 20, 30, 40, 50 and 60k car. As you move up each $10,000 you get less and less extra for your money. Is a Tesla Model S as good as 3 accords or two TLXs?
Old 09-11-2017, 04:44 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 383 Likes on 239 Posts

Nice review.
Old 09-11-2017, 07:19 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by alpha0 I am still debating whether TLX SHAWD Aspec is worth 12k more than Accord V6 Touring.
Its worth what people will pay for it. See just below in red.

From what I understand the A-spec has AWD, sportier suspension and steering feel, better stereo, cosmetic features inside and outside, sport+ which gives a closer to manual feel than the accord sport mode. To me that's worth the upgrade

There's the law of diminishing returns. Take a 20, 30, 40, 50 and 60k car. As you move up each $10,000 you get less and less extra for your money. Is a Tesla Model S as good as 3 accords or two TLXs?
Its not the law of diminishing returns. Its the law of Luxury. Luxuries are expensive things you don't really need but you want & some can actually afford. No a Tesla S does not have 3X the content of an Accord but, very big BUT people with means will spend 3x the amount of an Accord to buy one.

Is my daughters 911 Carrera S4 worth two of my 440? Yes because people will buy them. Your last sentance in red sums it up.

BTW on your TLX is bigger than a 3/A4/C/IS implying it should compete further up the line remember the Accord is bigger than the TLX. So is Chevy, Buick, Camry etc.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 09-11-2017 at 07:28 PM.
UNCMo96 (09-11-2017)
Old 09-12-2017, 12:01 PM
Advanced

Great review. In fact all the professional-type reviews have been similar -- the A-Spec is a bit of a well-appointed beast, and deserves the TLX "That kind of thrill" marketing. But the non-A Specs don't. What Acura needs now is a positioned, segmented marketing plan, A-Spec - non-Aspec. There are two target markets here -- one for the sports sedan crowd, one for the luxury-at-a-good-price crowd. If it's advertised right, there could easily be spillover from other demographics.
Old 09-12-2017, 04:13 PM
Racer

In my second test drive also, i felt that free wheeling effect (i assume when dog clutch disengages from 5 to 4)..If i decide not to buy TLX, 9zf will be the root cause...
quantum7 (09-12-2017)
Old 09-12-2017, 04:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 160 Posts
) .If i decide not to buy TLX, 9zf will be the root cause...
The ZF9 is a dog....even Alex noted it in his review. I would be amazed if Acura keeps this transmission around, and quite frankly, I have no idea why they put in their cars in the first place.
Old 09-12-2017, 05:09 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 388 Likes on 227 Posts

They had a black AWD A-Spec in my local acura showroom a few weeks back. Replaced by a grey w/red leather A-Spec which looked fantastic. I test drove the Lexus IS but it was a bit small for me and the TLX is a nice size overall. Seats are extremely comfortable. The AWD with the 19" wheels and bigger sway bars really take corners great when you step into the gas. Looks wise the A-Spec to me is better than any lexus but that lexus grill (along with Infinity) I could never get to like. The biggest negative I hear looks wise on is how big the Acura emblem is on the front but overall looks wise it's a nice car and have had many compliments on it. The trans is the weak point but at this point it is what it is. If they used the 2017 RDX trans the car would be perfect. I traded in my 17 TLX V6 as looks wise it just didn't inspire any emotion at all.

For me I was split on going with an S5 certified 2015 or the A-Spec. Same price but even though I could afford the higher ownership cost of the Audi I fundamentally don't want to shell out more into the car over the years and from my past Acuras they have been regular maintenance only cars which is not on the high side compared to the german cars. My local dealer, as of a couple days ago, has sold 6 A-Specs but I other than mine I have not seen another on the road. Just one sighting of a 2018 non A-spec model at this point. I would guess at this point you should be able to negotiate down to the low to mid 41k range on an AWD model.

Congrats on your new car purchase.
Old 09-12-2017, 05:24 PM
Banned

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts
. However sizewise the TLX is at the bigger end of the "entry level" luxury sports sedan size.
From the outside it gives that impression. Styling helps (it is an handsome car).

But its interior is smaller than in a Civic...
Old 09-12-2017, 05:36 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Sales would dictate that it is not a handsome car. Sorry, bruh. The TLX just ain't selling, except to everyone who went crazy about the pretty bumpers and exhaust on the new A-Spec. Otherwise, DOA.
Old 09-12-2017, 08:33 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 388 Likes on 227 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBello
Sales would dictate that it is not a handsome car. Sorry, bruh. The TLX just ain't selling, except to everyone who went crazy about the pretty bumpers and exhaust on the new A-Spec. Otherwise, DOA.
The styling is fine, major improvement on the 15-17 models. The A-spec package is styled out well. The cost is a major hold back. Even back in the day when I bought my 2007 type S they were not flying out due to the high sticker and the one I bought back then was on the lot for many months while the cheaper models were flying out. The A-spec jumping to the 41k+ range with current discounts puts it out of Honda reach buyers but is borderline on price with other high end cars. It's certainly the nicest style looks wise since the last type S. With some type S changes it will be a great car but will still be a low volume seller regardless. Just as the A5 sells but the S5 or R5 has limited demand.
Old 09-12-2017, 08:46 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,159 Likes on 1,387 Posts
Originally Posted by Saintor
From the outside it gives that impression. Styling helps (it is an handsome car).

It's handsome like an accountant with a pocket protector. It's appropriate, but it's not much of a looker.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:10 AM
Suzuka Master

The Ugly Kit Car is handsome.....the TLX has a good personality.
Old 09-14-2017, 08:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Yes. IMO. This comes from someone who paid way too much for a RLX Sport Hybrid and regretted the price paid. The TLX in SH-AWD format is a much better deal by comparison, and really much better than an Accord.
Old 09-14-2017, 09:53 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,159 Likes on 1,387 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
Yes. IMO. This comes from someone who paid way too much for a RLX Sport Hybrid and regretted the price paid. The TLX in SH-AWD format is a much better deal by comparison, and really much better than an Accord.
Agreed on this. The AWD and better interior are probably worth the price. But I think strictly as a driver, so I tend to overvalue power to the rear wheels.
Old 09-15-2017, 03:49 PM
Banned

Smile

The Ugly Kit Car is handsome.....the TLX has a good personality.
I would reverse this and remove "good". Just personality (and we'll agree that it has tons of it).
Old 09-15-2017, 07:47 PM
Suzuka Master

I would reverse this and remove "good". Just personality (and we'll agree that it has tons of it).
Unfortunately the TLX still comes up a few tons short.
Old 09-15-2017, 08:20 PM
Banned

Unfortunately the TLX still comes up a few tons short.
Well the 2018 has more of it (and I still don't understand why you hang out here )
Old 09-15-2017, 08:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Well the 2018 has more of it (and I still don't understand why you hang out here )
Because people like you are so much fun. Still see you dropping in on the BMW site. Didn't you own a 325 once? Its nice to see you get the same level of respect there as you do here.

Steadily shrinking sales might suggest the TLX still coming up short. Maybe it needs a bit more personality.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 09-15-2017 at 09:04 PM.

Quick Reply: 2018 A-Spec reviews