2018 A-Spec reviews

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2017, 10:07 AM
Racer

Received 97 Likes on 60 Posts
Drove my dealers lot today. They had 5 Aspecs. Two were blue with black. 2 were black on black. They have had a grey with red there for about 3-4 weeks. That color isn't selling. They had a ton of new MDX there. Obviously that is their big seller.
Old 06-25-2017, 11:06 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Grey on red is a sexy color combo. I'm surprised it's not moving.
Old 06-25-2017, 11:52 AM
6 Forward 1 Back

Received 312 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally Posted by FLYGUY31
Drove my dealers lot today. They had 5 Aspecs. Two were blue with black. 2 were black on black. They have had a grey with red there for about 3-4 weeks. That color isn't selling. They had a ton of new MDX there. Obviously that is their big seller.
Were they AWD versions?
Old 06-25-2017, 12:18 PM
Racer

I believe the grey was. Not sure the others. If they were the same blue and black that were there two weeks ago, they weren't. Doesn't seem like my local dealer is moving Aspecs. I'm sure demand varies by area.
Old 06-25-2017, 12:40 PM
Pro

Received 544 Likes on 256 Posts
It's a real funky sweet retro look combo. The problem is the A-spec wheels don't quite work with the grey. You'd have to buy the new diamond cut optional rims to make it sparkle. That's another $2,000 I wasn't willing to spend.

Originally Posted by TacoBello
Grey on red is a sexy color combo. I'm surprised it's not moving.
Old 06-25-2017, 12:49 PM
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by FLYGUY31
I believe the grey was. Not sure the others. If they were the same blue and black that were there two weeks ago, they weren't. Doesn't seem like my local dealer is moving Aspecs. I'm sure demand varies by area.
My current TL is grey and I wanted to get the A-Spec in that same color. It's easy to maintain and I love the way it looks at sundown. It looks aggressive too.
I went to see it in person yesterday and there is something that's lacking. I can't really put my finger on it but it's like the car doesn't have as much "presence" in the grey. Maybe it's because the rims and the car are almost the same color (might actually be!). Maybe if the rims were darker it would look better?
They also had a white one, red and black; but I was surprised to see how good the white car looked. I have never been a white car guy, but on the TLX it emphasizes the black accents and the car lines more than the grey color.

by the way...maybe a new thread should be open for what deals are people seeing, but I went to the a dealer here in Colorado and without any negotiation or even a chat with the salesperson...he offered $2050 on incentives. Again...this was me just asking directly after spending 2 minutes with the salesperson.
Im not interested in buying in Colorado since I live in Miami, but the worksheet that the sales guy gave me has the incentives there so I feel I have a good starting point to actually negotiate with other dealers.
Old 06-25-2017, 01:19 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Honda430
It's a real funky sweet retro look combo. The problem is the A-spec wheels don't quite work with the grey. You'd have to buy the new diamond cut optional rims to make it sparkle. That's another $2,000 I wasn't willing to spend.
Yes. The gery is too tonal. The wheels don't set off enough. Agreed with needing another option on the rims. I really like the white. I'm currently in palladium silver and was hoping it would be offered in that color. But white would be my choice if I was to buy now.
Old 06-25-2017, 01:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Some comments I left on the RLX forum

I posted this earlier today in the RLX forum, so forgive the comparison. We have been awaiting a RLX MMC for over a year, and all we have to show for it is spy pics of a RLX with a Diamond Pentagon/Precision Crafted grille. Unfortunately, I couldn't wait for the MMC release, which hasn't even been announced by Acura, so I went with the best sedan possible. It turned out to be a great choice. Anyway.....
---
I've had the A-Spec for a week now and I notice a couple of requests for comparisons. I'll oblige!

You guys know, of course that these are two completely different cars with different missions, so I won't insult your intelligence by stating further than that.

I'll start with the driving experience. TLX A-Spec is 520 pounds lighter, six inches shorter, one inch narrower, better (yes, better) suspension than the RLX SH, heavier steering, and quicker steering ratio (or at least the feeling of it) means that this car handles like magic in the twisties. It is also a touch smaller than the 2G RL, yet it handles similar to that. The suspension in the RLX SH isn't well modulated. If I went over a bump in the SH, it would bob up and down a bit before settling with a sharp change. No such issues in the TLX A-Spec. I became used to the behavior in the RLX and didn't realize how wrong it was until I drove 2017 MDX and TLX as loaners in the last few months--their suspensions were far better controlled. This leads me to believe that if the suspension in the RLX SH is retuned for the MMC, it will be a much sharper handler. In the turns, the A-Spec has much less understeer programmed in than the RLX SH. Both are nearly neutral in steep turns and neither understeers much, but the RLX has just that hair more understeer. Whether that's because of tires, suspension, or is simply the difference between mechanical SH-AWD and eSH-AWD I'd have to leave to George Knighton to figure out, as I am no expert. Maybe he'll do a test drive for us?

One other comment about the driving experience: The TLX, even in A-Spec form, even with its revised transmission programming, is a slower car than the RLX. With the RLX SH, I have low-end torque on demand at any reasonable speed, because of the electric motors. The only way a TLX could hope to manage the same is with a turbo setup, or (of course) by adding electric motors. Thankfully, we have IDS in the TLX and I can set it to Sport + mode. In that mode, I can shift close to redline! I can actually wind through the gears. It's great to feel VTEC kick in, yo, even if it's muted. This is the first Acura product in which I could use the paddle shifters to, well, shift! They do so rapidly, though not instantly--you have to plan about 100 rpm before your planned shift. This is better than in the base TLX, where you have to plan 500-700 rpm before your planned shift. In the RLX, I tried using the paddle shifters a few times and even though the transmission is a DCT, it just never felt fast enough for regular use. The car shifted itself far better, so I let it. Not a bad thing, in fact, it tells me how well the RLX SH's transmission programming was done.

ACC/CMBS/LKAS works pretty much the same as in the RLX SH. Nice and smooth acceleration, still sometimes a little late for braking, low-speed follow-through is still awesome. The only big difference is that of course, we have road departure mitigation on the TLX, which I hope never to test, and if you leave your lane, the steering wheel starts shaking noticeably to get you to correct, unlike on the RLX SH, which gently reminds your with a pull that you have left your lane.

Last item about driving experience--there's a menu setting that allows you to set which IDS setting (Eco, Normal, Sport, Sport +) you start up in. YAY! Mine is set to start up in Sport mode, since that's what I usually drive in. If the RLX MMC implements some form of IDS, and I don't see why it shouldn't, I expect this menu item to appear.

Stereo: TLX needs a Krell trim, or at least a better speaker set, stat. Krell>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>ELS. Night and day difference. Ugh. Bass is muddy. Mids are slightly distorted. The Krell system in the RLX SH may not have had the most bass, but it had ACCURATE, sharp bass. My poor ears. I may have to go aftermarket for speakers. Still playing with settings to see if I can get this mess under control.

Infotainment: Not even a contest. TLX wins, hands down, match over by KO during the first round. I will mention this because this will likely be in the RLX's MMC. Navi screen has the same dated graphics as before.....but because we now have CarPlay and Android Auto, you don't have to put up with it anymore! The new infotainment system is so flexible now. You can choose to run Acura's system, or plug in your iPhone/Android phone and run your phone from that with Siri Eyes Free. I use Apple Maps now instead of the Acura system, graphics are sharp as they should be since they are sent from your (plugged in with wire) phone. Or, I can not plug my phone in and still have access to music and phone service via Acura's system, which still works by Bluetooth and is unchanged from the RLX. The new ODMD (lower screen has a fresh user interface that is, get this, intuitive to use. Touch control is instant, really instant. Super-easy to use. I'm still figuring out how to customize it, but this is a night and day difference from the RLX. For me, I just plug in my iPhone when I step in the TLX, and I'm done.

Fuel economy: LOLz. The first tank I drove (car was delivered from a different dealership, I took delivery with 241 miles on it) was 21.8 with 50% city driving. Then again, I'd bet the dealer delivered it with a tank of regular. I generally fill cars recommending premium like the TLX with premium, so we'll see how I do on a tank of premium. If the same, I may simply stick to regular. Further with a bigger tank (17.2 gallons) I expect a longer interval between fuel stops. That a 520-pound heavier car gets similar fuel economy to a TLX is part of the point of the SH's hybrid system, even if I never acheived the advertised fuel economy.

An unexpected surprise was the walk-away automatic alarm activation. I've had that on my Cadillacs for years. it's time Acura joined the 21st century. They do this function a little strangely though. You exit your car with your key fob and close the door. You get a confirmatory chirp that the door is closed. When you walk more than eight feet away from the car, you get a second chirp and a flash of the lights indicating that the alarm is armed. Um, OK. How about just one chirp when you're eight feet away from the car like on every other car with this feature? I'm thankful to have the feature, though. Odds are, this is going to be on the RLX MMC, too.

Last: The TLX has an auto-stop feature. It sucks. You know how in the RLX SH, half the time you can only feel the ICE shut off because you see the tach drop to zero? Well...auto stop in the TLX happens when you're stopped and the brake is on. You can feel it happen, likely because the engine mounts are tuned differently in the TLX. But here's the worst part....the steering wheel LOCKS! WTF? When I'm entering the physicians' lot at one of my hospitals, the wheels of the car are still slightly turned when I swipe my ID badge. Auto-stop activates. The steering wheel locks. That extra microsecond I spend turning the steering wheel to deactivate Auto-stop drives me absolutely bat$hit crazy. Thankfully, Auto-stop is easily deactivated with a button press. I only wish there was a menu setting allowing me to permanently turn it off.

I am thoroughly enjoying the new TLX A-Spec, despite some of its quibbles. It's really a driver's car. Based on some of the features in this car, we can see what's going to be in the RLX MMC, which is why I posted this comparo.

Happy Sunday!
The following 6 users liked this post by neuronbob:
a35tl (06-26-2017), DLM1213 (06-25-2017), kurtatx (06-25-2017), SebringSilver (06-25-2017), Speed_Racer (06-26-2017), wlkeel (06-25-2017) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-25-2017, 03:08 PM
Pro

Received 544 Likes on 256 Posts
My my first choice was grey, but I finally Came to the conclusion that white was the best color. Here are pics in the harsh So Cali sunlight. Just sweet. Best thing is that absent the tint the car is stock. No add-ons required.

Originally Posted by Sloppy305
My current TL is grey and I wanted to get the A-Spec in that same color. It's easy to maintain and I love the way it looks at sundown. It looks aggressive too.
I went to see it in person yesterday and there is something that's lacking. I can't really put my finger on it but it's like the car doesn't have as much "presence" in the grey. Maybe it's because the rims and the car are almost the same color (might actually be!). Maybe if the rims were darker it would look better?
They also had a white one, red and black; but I was surprised to see how good the white car looked. I have never been a white car guy, but on the TLX it emphasizes the black accents and the car lines more than the grey color.

by the way...maybe a new thread should be open for what deals are people seeing, but I went to the a dealer here in Colorado and without any negotiation or even a chat with the salesperson...he offered $2050 on incentives. Again...this was me just asking directly after spending 2 minutes with the salesperson.
Im not interested in buying in Colorado since I live in Miami, but the worksheet that the sales guy gave me has the incentives there so I feel I have a good starting point to actually negotiate with other dealers.
The following users liked this post:
jyrtl (07-10-2017)
Old 06-25-2017, 04:41 PM
Pro

Received 539 Likes on 264 Posts
Wow, those are some great pics there. Looks amazing.
Old 06-25-2017, 04:52 PM
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Angry Be Careful ,,,

So today (Sunday) I went to Goodson Acura in Dallas. There were 7 2018 TLXs on the lot, from Base to Tech Advance i-4s and V6s. They apparently sold the A-Spec I drove last week. Visually, the only thing that sets the non A-Specs apart is the rear diffuser or lack thereof, and wheel size. The car is to me, totally striking in any level. I haven't driven the non A-Spec TLX. The A-Spec is awesome, but not at full MSRP plus dealer options. All 7 of the TLXs had dealer options installed -- tint, $250; nitrogen in tires, $250 and paint protection, $899. NO WAY!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by slimm1469; 06-25-2017 at 05:00 PM.
Old 06-25-2017, 07:07 PM
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by slimm1469
So today (Sunday) I went to Goodson Acura in Dallas. There were 7 2018 TLXs on the lot, from Base to Tech Advance i-4s and V6s. They apparently sold the A-Spec I drove last week. Visually, the only thing that sets the non A-Specs apart is the rear diffuser or lack thereof, and wheel size. The car is to me, totally striking in any level. I haven't driven the non A-Spec TLX. The A-Spec is awesome, but not at full MSRP plus dealer options. All 7 of the TLXs had dealer options installed -- tint, $250; nitrogen in tires, $250 and paint protection, $899. NO WAY!!!!!!!!!
Wait for a month or so, if everyone wants Aspec, Acura will increase its production as % of the mix and prices will be adjusted accordingly.
Old 06-25-2017, 07:08 PM
Racer

Good review. It seems Aspec will help Acura gain some market share from A4, 330xi and C300.
The following 2 users liked this post by alpha0:
miner (06-27-2017), neuronbob (06-25-2017)
Old 06-25-2017, 08:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 708 Likes on 325 Posts
Originally Posted by alpha0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9R7Y79e2xPU

Good review. It seems Aspec will help Acura gain some market share from A4, 330xi and C300.
Thats basically one of the main reasons to get this car - that it's NOT an Audi/BMW/Mercedes. It's incredibly cliché driving those cars, because it's the default thing to do. But what Acura has done very right this time is they've made a car that doesn't make you yearn for what you could have had instead. I absolutely would not trade this for an A4/330i/C350.
Old 06-25-2017, 08:47 PM
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 7 Posts
I have a grey on black on order and I'm pretty excited about it. The monotone wheel body combo has me debating this decision but I really do like the grey and it is wife approved
The following 2 users liked this post by EosPhotog:
kurtatx (06-25-2017), neuronbob (06-25-2017)
Old 06-25-2017, 11:39 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,159 Likes on 1,387 Posts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9R7Y79e2xPU

seems like a reasonable review. Not sure why he say "Audi" like that, though.
Old 06-26-2017, 12:15 AM
Team Owner

Someone post pics of a grey A-Spec, please. Sadly, that color isn't available here. I'm curious to know what it looks like with the dark wheels. In my head, I picture it looking awesome
Old 06-26-2017, 12:00 PM
Advanced

Someone post pics of a grey A-Spec, please. Sadly, that color isn't available here. I'm curious to know what it looks like with the dark wheels. In my head, I picture it looking awesome
Is this what you want to see? These are from a dealer in Colorado. Salesperson mentioned they can go up to $2050 in incentives.

TacoBello (06-26-2017)
Old 06-26-2017, 12:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

Is this what you want to see? These are from a dealer in Colorado. Salesperson mentioned they can go up to $2050 in incentives.

Can you get it with the red interior? That might look pretty good.
Old 06-26-2017, 12:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
---
I've had the A-Spec for a week now and I notice a couple of requests for comparisons. I'll oblige!

It is also a touch smaller than the 2G RL, yet it handles similar to that.
NeuronBob -- How would you compare the A-Spec TLX to the trusty 2G RL? I'm still running my '06 RL (< 90K miles to-date) and keep an eye out for "what's next". I've had various TLX loaners when my car's been in for service, and the 2016-2017 models were solid-feeling car, but not much else. I've found the RL to be so well thought-out compared to most cars, so was wondering how this new A-Spec feels now that you've been through RL and RLX.
Old 06-26-2017, 12:34 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by SebringSilver
Can you get it with the red interior? That might look pretty good.
Yes. Red interior is available on the dark gray.

I still think if the rims were black or maybe just a little darker the car would look perfect. Doesnt look bad now...its just that I like to have a contract between the rims and car itself.
Also, these cars wre outdoor and it had rain dirt all over...so Im sure if it was in the showroom it would have a different shine to it.
Old 06-26-2017, 01:29 PM
Team Owner

I think it looks pretty sharp. I've seen plenty of members on AZ spend a ton of money to get their 3G TLs to have that all grey look!

I think with the red interior, it would be a sexy combination. I can understand people wanting some contrast, though.
Old 06-26-2017, 01:48 PM

Received 16,261 Likes on 11,972 Posts
oddly enough, i've seen more 2nd gen NSX's on the streets of Houston than the new TLX, but i'll give it more time. the aspec does look super sexy
Old 06-26-2017, 05:39 PM
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts
Does anyone else see a purple hue in Modern Steel on the '18 TLX? Online and in-person I can clearly see it in sunlight and it really bugs me to the point of not being interested whatsoever, and I always purchase grey cars. I wished they'd bring back Graphite Luster! Perfect color imo.
Old 06-26-2017, 07:30 PM
MTD
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 59 Posts
I really like the grey, but I do think its a bit much with the grey wheels too. Silver or black chrome like the grill would look great I think.
Old 06-26-2017, 07:40 PM
2015 TLX SH-AWD Elite BWP

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts
So , today I went to my dealer to test the A-spec SH-AWD.
I must say I was impressed , much improved. That should have been the TLX from the beginning especially for me coming from an 09TL.
The good:
- drive , very solid with a good balance
-seats much better , I would say the perfect midway between 09TL and regular TLX
-Dash instrumentation , nice with red accents
-steering wheel , beefier , felt solid
-the new interface on mid console seems snappier with more direct actions (e.g fan speed)
-Transmission using paddle shifts , much faster.
-Looks meaner , I like it but the grill I'm not a fan
-Liked the LED turn signal on the front , why they didn't do it on the back also or use the blinking brake LEDs?
-360 camera (on Elite)
- Sound system , not sure if it's better but it felt a bit different

The negative (for me)
-The nav looks dated. I didn't have the cable to connect my Android phone to see the graphics with Android Auto. Something to check.
-The transmission , while is much improved , for me I still feel that is hunting sometimes for the gears . No 2-3 bump , but coming to a stop it still had the feeling of going on free wheel forward , it's true for a fraction of second (way less than my 2015) , but still surprised to feel it. Maybe because I was looking for it ?
-Fake muffler sound , while sounds nice you can feel that is fake and it doesn't come from the mechanical side.
-Brakes , especially for A-spec should have a bigger ones. With 19" wheels , they look tiny .
- 500$ more for white ??? What the hell ? Why only on white?

Overall a big improvement and it may stay , maybe, on my shopping list , if the price would be right , meaning not to pay more then my 15 Elite .
pyrodan007 (06-26-2017)
Old 06-26-2017, 08:38 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Momyc
So , today I went to my dealer to test the A-spec SH-AWD.
I must say I was impressed , much improved. That should have been the TLX from the beginning especially for me coming from an 09TL.
The good:
- drive , very solid with a good balance
-seats much better , I would say the perfect midway between 09TL and regular TLX
-Dash instrumentation , nice with red accents
-steering wheel , beefier , felt solid
-the new interface on mid console seems snappier with more direct actions (e.g fan speed)
-Transmission using paddle shifts , much faster.
-Looks meaner , I like it but the grill I'm not a fan
-Liked the LED turn signal on the front , why they didn't do it on the back also or use the blinking brake LEDs?
-360 camera (on Elite)
- Sound system , not sure if it's better but it felt a bit different

The negative (for me)
-The nav looks dated. I didn't have the cable to connect my Android phone to see the graphics with Android Auto. Something to check.
-The transmission , while is much improved , for me I still feel that is hunting sometimes for the gears . No 2-3 bump , but coming to a stop it still had the feeling of going on free wheel forward , it's true for a fraction of second (way less than my 2015) , but still surprised to feel it. Maybe because I was looking for it ?
-Fake muffler sound , while sounds nice you can feel that is fake and it doesn't come from the mechanical side.
-Brakes , especially for A-spec should have a bigger ones. With 19" wheels , they look tiny .
- 500$ more for white ??? What the hell ? Why only on white?

Overall a big improvement and it may stay , maybe, on my shopping list , if the price would be right , meaning not to pay more then my 15 Elite .
Glad you enjoyed your test drive but I'm curious about one thing. I'm not trying to be sarcastic or anything, but just want to better understand the psychology of other car buyers. You mention you wouldn't buy the new A-Spec unless it were priced no higher than your 2015 Elite. I find that perplexing because that would mean you would expect the 2018 Elite (non-A-Spec) to be priced lower than the 2015 equivalent, when by all accounts both the non-A-Spec 2018 and the A-Spec 2018 are better (in the case of the A-Spec, significantly better) than the 2015 TLX. I just don't understand how that could happen, and that's not even accounting for a steady 3% year on year inflation rate.

I mean, I've often wished I could use this argument when watching a sequel to a movie, especially the third sequel, but no movie theatre has ever accommodated my request.
steve_97060 (06-26-2017)
Old 06-26-2017, 08:52 PM
2015 TLX SH-AWD Elite BWP

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts
Glad you enjoyed your test drive but I'm curious about one thing. I'm not trying to be sarcastic or anything, but just want to better understand the psychology of other car buyers. You mention you wouldn't buy the new A-Spec unless it were priced no higher than your 2015 Elite. I find that perplexing because that would mean you would expect the 2018 Elite (non-A-Spec) to be priced lower than the 2015 equivalent, when by all accounts both the non-A-Spec 2018 and the A-Spec 2018 are better (in the case of the A-Spec, significantly better) than the 2015 TLX. I just don't understand how that could happen, and that's not even accounting for a steady 3% year on year inflation rate.

I mean, I've often wished I could use this argument when watching a sequel to a movie, especially the third sequel, but no movie theatre has ever accommodated my request.
What I meant is that they will have to give me a better discount vs 2015 in order to stay with Acura. Better discount would compensate for all the thing that you mentioned and it should fall within same payment vs my 2015 TLX.
Old 06-26-2017, 08:58 PM
Team Owner

Give it a few months and you'll be able to negotiate a great deal. Win-win
Old 06-26-2017, 09:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Momyc
What I meant is that they will have to give me a better discount vs 2015 in order to stay with Acura. Better discount would compensate for all the thing that you mentioned and it should fall within same payment vs my 2015 TLX.
Got it. Understood. I have this lingering suspicion that a lot of Acura customers want a significant discount to remain loyal to the brand, perhaps as a way of compensating for the suffering that's been inflicted on them. LOL.

I'm hoping that sentiment will be a thing of the past now that Acura has rediscovered how to build cars that people actually want, rather than cars that people will settle for.
Old 06-26-2017, 09:07 PM
Team Owner

That could be part of it... but I think people just like knowing they got a good deal. It's like the bow on top of the present.. it makes it that much better. Plus, no one likes paying more than they have to... especially if dealers are charging mark ups. I sure don't like feeling ripped off... I don't think anyone else does either.
Old 06-26-2017, 09:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 361 Posts
Got it. Understood. I have this lingering suspicion that a lot of Acura customers want a significant discount to remain loyal to the brand, perhaps as a way of compensating for the suffering that's been inflicted on them. LOL.

I'm hoping that sentiment will be a thing of the past now that Acura has rediscovered how to build cars that people actually want, rather than cars that people will settle for.
For owners of 15 TLXs with the bad transmissions, no way that'll happen. I have no problems paying more for something, but not when my previous experience with a brand was bad (Canada still has no TSBs, just word of mouth). Same price + 1 / 2 / even 3 percent sure sounds fair. Full price when they knew people weren't happy, good luck LOL

The Aspec changes should have been across the entire V6 lineup. Aspec should have had bigger brakes, red lighting, and alcantara. Would have been a complete hit.

Last edited by pyrodan007; 06-26-2017 at 09:39 PM.
Old 06-26-2017, 09:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

That could be part of it... but I think people just like knowing they got a good deal. It's like the bow on top of the present.. it makes it that much better. Plus, no one likes paying more than they have to... especially if dealers are charging mark ups. I sure don't like feeling ripped off... I don't think anyone else does either.
I think you make a good point. I'm just used to the feeling of "YES!!! I GOT ONE BEFORE MY NEIGHBOUR DID!!" Classic early adopter syndrome.
Old 06-26-2017, 09:39 PM
Racer

Acura has set low anchor price because of heavy discounts of 2017s in last few months. So that is making it difficult for many to pay almost 10k more than that low price even when people know it is a better product.
Old 06-26-2017, 09:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 361 Posts
Acura has set low anchor price because of heavy discounts of 2017s in last few months. So that is making it difficult for many to pay almost 10k more than that low price even when people know it is a better product.
Not all models are better products, non Aspecs are only marginally better but substantially more to buy. Maybe different in 6 months, but for now Aspecs have the attention and money.
Old 06-26-2017, 09:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by pyrodan007
For owners of 15 TLXs with the bad transmissions, no way that'll happen. I have no problems paying more for something, but not when my previous experience with a brand was bad (Canada still has no TSBs, just word of mouth). Same price + 1/2 percent sure sounds fair. Full price when they knew people weren't happy, good luck LOL

The Aspec changes should have been across the entire V6 lineup. Aspec should have had bigger brakes, red lighting, and alcantara. Would have been a complete hit.
I get what you're saying, and not only because I also owned a 2015 TLX (in fact, I owned 2). But to some extent, your position is that an Acura customer can only be a former Acura customer. I think this new A-Spec might attract some new Acura buyers, and perhaps lure former, long-ago customers to rejoin the fray.

It's funny that we're having this discussion. Having owned two Audi R8s, both with the infamous R-tronic single-clutch gearbox, you'd think it would take a lot of convincing to get anyone to buy yet another R8, even though they're now using the dual-clutch S-tronic. But sure enough there are loads of guys on the R8 board on their 3rd, 4th, 5th R8, each subsequent one costing more. I know it's a different market segment but maybe there are some parallels there.
pyrodan007 (06-26-2017)
Old 06-26-2017, 09:52 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by atl7
Does anyone else see a purple hue in Modern Steel on the '18 TLX? Online and in-person I can clearly see it in sunlight and it really bugs me to the point of not being interested whatsoever, and I always purchase grey cars. I wished they'd bring back Graphite Luster! Perfect color imo.
I was looking forward to seeing the Aspec in gray and hoped that the color would be the same that I saw for a 17 TLX at a car show. The gray doesn't look as dark as I hoped. It does have a purple'ish hue to it. I wanted to like it...I really did and I am actually giving it another chance. I told the dealer I wanted to see it in showroom condition and also with the red interior.
I am attaching a picture below to compare. Of course...these are different cameras, lighting, angles etc...but you can see a difference on the shade.
I loved the 17 color. I even asked if it was ceramic coated for how great It looked.
The car show was a while back so I forgot what color was it (maybe someone here knows?) and they may perfectly be the same color but even if you told me so...i would still see it as different. I just want a little more darkness on the 18s.

You can decide:
Old 06-26-2017, 11:29 PM
6 Forward 1 Back

Received 312 Likes on 155 Posts
I was looking forward to seeing the Aspec in gray and hoped that the color would be the same that I saw for a 17 TLX at a car show. The gray doesn't look as dark as I hoped. It does have a purple'ish hue to it. I wanted to like it...I really did and I am actually giving it another chance. I told the dealer I wanted to see it in showroom condition and also with the red interior.
I am attaching a picture below to compare. Of course...these are different cameras, lighting, angles etc...but you can see a difference on the shade.
I loved the 17 color. I even asked if it was ceramic coated for how great It looked.
The car show was a while back so I forgot what color was it (maybe someone here knows?) and they may perfectly be the same color but even if you told me so...i would still see it as different. I just want a little more darkness on the 18s.

You can decide:
It must be some lighting difference in my eyes. Someone posted this pic below prior and it looks close to your car show pic, but a tiny bit lighter, but doesn't appear to be purple in nature to me. I can't imagine it to be anything but lighting.

Old 06-27-2017, 12:22 AM
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts
^^^I see a tiny hint of purple in that haha. Whether it's in person or online, in the showroom or in sunlight I can clearly see it in the 2018. I guess no one else sees it. Maybe this is my diagnosis for color blindness? Lol.

On a side note, I like that white seat piping on that '18 Advance! Looks great.
Old 06-27-2017, 12:36 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by neuronbob
Last: The TLX has an auto-stop feature. It sucks. You know how in the RLX SH, half the time you can only feel the ICE shut off because you see the tach drop to zero? Well...auto stop in the TLX happens when you're stopped and the brake is on. You can feel it happen, likely because the engine mounts are tuned differently in the TLX. But here's the worst part....the steering wheel LOCKS! WTF? When I'm entering the physicians' lot at one of my hospitals, the wheels of the car are still slightly turned when I swipe my ID badge. Auto-stop activates. The steering wheel locks. That extra microsecond I spend turning the steering wheel to deactivate Auto-stop drives me absolutely bat$hit crazy. Thankfully, Auto-stop is easily deactivated with a button press. I only wish there was a menu setting allowing me to permanently turn it off.
Bob, I posted a reply on the Favourite Things thread, but in case you miss it, here's something that might help you. When your car comes to a halt and Auto Stop activates, the steering wheel doesn't actually lock. Try just nudging the wheel either to the left or right, and the engine will re-start. It's an easy way to get your car ready to move off without having to lift your foot off the brake pedal. Hope this helps.

Edit: Just realized that you figured out that turning the wheel deactivates Auto Stop.

Last edited by SebringSilver; 06-27-2017 at 12:44 AM.

Quick Reply: 2018 A-Spec reviews