2015 TLX is official!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 10:56 AM
Advanced

Received 103 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by maharajamd
Well at least I won't be looking back when I purchase an Audi now. Lol
Seriously, the only thing holding me back now is reliability. But for that we have Infiniti I guess
Old 01-14-2014, 11:01 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
So overall I like the design, by far a big improvement of where they were headed with the ILX and RLX. Once again I think the TLX has the potential to be better than the RLX with th exception of size. Here is where Acura will drop the ball on the TLX, we all know the front and rear fascias will get toned down and likely the wheels will be less sporty. That is fine for some models, but Acura grow some balls and release the TLX prototype as it is now in some Type-S variant and I think you can have some success with this car. If they can get the head unit more advanced (a la Audi MMI) I could see myself coming back, but dumb down the exterior and leave the current out dated (even RLX is behind the times) head unit and I will be gone for good.
The following 2 users liked this post by KeithL:
Acura_Dude (01-14-2014), TiggaMan909 (01-14-2014)
Old 01-14-2014, 11:02 AM
Suzuka Master

Did anyone watch the live reveal, did they hint at an on sale date?
Old 01-14-2014, 11:02 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 64 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by photog
LOL, No kidding the 3G is looking outdated, exactly why Acura really just dropped the ball on giving 3g owners a viable option for a potential next car from Acura. I'm ANXIOUSLY waiting on a new generation sport sedan from Acura that I'd consider and it really sucks to feel so let down by a company that I want to continue to love. I'd do anything to have another Acura but I've driven the new v6 TSX and SH-AWD TL and nothing even comes close to topping the fit/finish of the older Acura's...cheapened panels, spongy ride, no driver feedback, no exhilaration in the models that are even faster than any TL-S...it's all gone downhill, if you can't see it then it must be because you've never owned or cared for one of the older generation V6's. It's the same difference that's been plaguing the newer honda accords, any 04 accord feels like a fun-to-drive tank while the new one's feel like a 4-banger with shiny chrome interior inserts that sound hollow when you close a door
Being the owner of previous gen tl's I have to disagree. My 2012 is a step higher in materials and ride. If anything, most people complain about the sh-awd TL riding too stiff, so I am not sure why you thought it was spongy. I will agree with you on steering feedback, but that is just what we have to live with when using the current tech. At least we don't have the steering of the new Infiniti Q50. Again, I have owned previous gen V6's, so I think I can say for sure that the 4th gen is a better driving car. Looks are subjective.
The following 3 users liked this post by probmxstyle:
a35tl (01-14-2014), HeartTLs (01-14-2014), Jackieee_TL (01-14-2014)
Old 01-14-2014, 11:03 AM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Received 599 Likes on 454 Posts
Originally Posted by whitetls02
The car is hot. I see a coupe version coming...CLX? Good job.
You're right, that design would make a good looking coupe
Old 01-14-2014, 11:06 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,666 Likes on 930 Posts
Originally Posted by F23A4
Great discussion and I'm very much looking forward to seeing the final product.

Personally, I doubt we'll see an ED K20T in the 5G TL although I'd love to see it. However, I anticipate that Honda will carry over the J35Y1 from the Accord V6 (and Y2 if a 6MT is available) and then maybe even add the K24W1 powertrain (Accord Sport) to the base trim, possibly tweaking it to 220hp+.

Looks like I was close on this one.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:10 AM
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Colorado Guy AF Ret.
I did not see or hear any reference to a turbo 2.4! Also....remember....this "prototype" as in all others is "jazzed up" for show. The wheels on the production model most likely will not be 20"....I hope not. And the style of wheel will most likely not be a production wheel. Same thing happened with the intro of the RDX.
Also, this model shown does not have exhaust finishers. I'm a little or a lot disappointed....it could come with them on production models...BUT...remember this...they dropped them from the MDX....the RDX did not come with exh. finishers...so, some logic is telling me they will continue that theme and not have exposed cool looking exhaust finishers. And I will be disappointed in that.

The famous beak. Let's all take a step back and follow "trending" and "brand" recognition." Lexus is doing it with their horribly ugly front grills. Acura is having a similar approach...with their models all having the similar grill piece.

So, for me, to summarize here...everything you see in this launch vehicle most likely will not be seen exactly in the production model.
I am excited to drive the V6 and to feel the power and driving dynamics of this new TLX. I'm into more luxury but with a "kicker." Meaning...strong torque, great ride and handling. Jury is out on the 2.4. Not for me...no matter how "great" it might be. I want the V6 and as someone else has said...I hope it has more than 300 hp...and my guess....it will have. The 9 speed trans will help get it into good gas mileage territory...as well as the direct injection.

So, more to come...what the production model will actually be....the interior...etc.
We STILL have to wait to find out what the TLX will finally look like..power numbers, etc.

The wait continues some more. But, I'm interested...and it will be worth my time to see what it will be...and get my hands on one. My '13 TSX Spec. Ed. just may find a new home later this year! It's a great car, but, this TLX looks like it will be much more of a great car/sedan.
They did seem to blend the dynamics of the TSX and the TL.
Looks as if the 20 inch tires are part of the production package according to this site. My assumption is they will at least be for the v6 model.

http://www.acura.com/future/TLX#2
Old 01-14-2014, 11:11 AM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Received 599 Likes on 454 Posts
Originally Posted by KeithL
^^And price points?
Old 01-14-2014, 11:13 AM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
91 members and 210 guests viewing this thread...
Old 01-14-2014, 11:13 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 222 Likes on 112 Posts
It looks beautiful in this shot, doesn't it?
Attached Thumbnails 2015 TLX is official!-2015-tlx-exterior-prototype-desert-road-5.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by Glashub:
a35tl (01-14-2014), weather (01-14-2014)
Old 01-14-2014, 11:14 AM
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
Keith-

I thought they said mid year, this year. If anyone heard otherwise, please correct. A couple of articles I read said the prototype should be fairly similar to the real production version.

Nick
Old 01-14-2014, 11:15 AM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by keith7120
Looks as if the 20 inch tires are part of the production package according to this site. My assumption is they will at least be for the v6 model.

http://www.acura.com/future/TLX#2
I noticed that the TLX GT race car is under "Future vehicles."

Is Acura finally waking up? Can it really be a real vehicle?

Anyone catch the specs of the TLX GT?
Old 01-14-2014, 11:18 AM
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I like it!

Last edited by MyT6MT; 01-14-2014 at 11:22 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by MyT6MT:
F23A4 (01-14-2014), Jackieee_TL (01-14-2014)
Old 01-14-2014, 11:19 AM
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
so all this hoopla and nobody has seen the interior yet? i really really hope they dont have that stupid touchscreen (like the accord, mdx)...
Old 01-14-2014, 11:22 AM
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts
I am OK with the exterior design (although I think it should have had exhaust tips showing and I do not see fog lights), but my main concern will be the interior and how it drives.

My concern is that they will go with the setup they have in the RLX and MDX, meaning that to do just about anything you will have to go through multiple screens just to do a simple thing like turn on the seat heater. Turning on the seat heater on a MDX or RLX requires pressing the seat picture on the screen, then selecting the desired heat level on the screen, and then closing out of the seat heater screen. And then once the car is shut off, the heater goes back to off so you have to go through this all over again after running into the store for a second. With the new set up the 9 buttons on the dash really do not accomplish the end goal, they just open up the starting screen for you to navigate through the system to accomplish what you are looking to do.

I know the response will be to use voice commands, but so far the voice commands only work 50% of the time or less, so until they perfect the voice system so it will understand normal commands 95% of the time, it really is not an answer.

My other concern is the 9 speed transmission. With 9 gears the car is going to constantly be shifting, and to get the best MPG, it will always be looking for the highest possible gear in order to keep the RPMs as low as possible. I will wait to see how it comes out, but I don't see how that won't be annoying to have the car shift just about any time you change the gas pedal input.

Last edited by heisnuts; 01-14-2014 at 11:24 AM.
The following users liked this post:
mobusta (01-14-2014)
Old 01-14-2014, 11:24 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by heisnuts
I am OK with the exterior design (although I think it should have had exhaust tips showing and I do not see fog lights), but my main concern will be the interior and how it drives.

My concern is that they will go with the setup they have in the RLX and MDX, meaning that to do just about anything you will have to go through multiple screens just to do a simple thing like turn on the seat heater. Turning on the seat heater on an MDX or RLX requires pressing the seat picture on the screen, then selecting the desired heat level on the screen, and then closing out of the seat heater screen. And then once the car is shut off, the heater goes back to off so you have to go through this all over again after running into the store for a second. With the new set up the 9 buttons on the dash really do not accomplish the end goal, they just open up the starting screen for you to navigate through the system to accomplish what you are looking to do.

I know the response will be to use voice commands, but so far the voice commands only work 50% of the time or less, so until they perfect the voice system so it will understand normal commands 95% of the time, it really is not an answer.

My other concern is the 9 speed transmission. With 9 gears the car is going to constantly be shifting, and to get the best MPG, it will always be looking for the highest possible gear in order to keep the RPMs as low as possible. I will wait to see how it comes out, but I don't see how that won't be annoying to have the car shift just about any time you change the gas pedal input.
Thanks, I will not be buying an Acura this year when my lease ends in March. I'm going to buy a lexus es300h
Old 01-14-2014, 11:25 AM
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Booya4139
the car looks smaller than the 4th gen... I'd guess weight in the 3600lb range, maybe wishful thinking, but 310HP, 270 tq in 3600 lbs will be a fun drive...
Its 4 inches shorter
Old 01-14-2014, 11:27 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by JT4
^^And price points?
My guess is being late to the game and one of the last to release in this segment they will wait until last minute to price it, I am guess it will top out around $50K depending on how much of the RLX tech works its way down. If they did a Type-S 3.5 300HP SH-AWD loaded with RLX tech and ELS Studio (since Krell seems reserved for the RLX) then I can see this going to $50-52K.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:27 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 498 Likes on 249 Posts
Originally Posted by mobusta
Thanks, I will not be buying an Acura this year when my lease ends in March. I'm going to buy a lexus es300h
I can understand not going with another Acura but a ES300H LOLOLOLOL.
a35tl (01-14-2014)
Old 01-14-2014, 11:29 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interior please? 50% less buttons and im in, same space-ship interior, im out.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:30 AM
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
I really like it
Old 01-14-2014, 11:32 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Nexx
I agree. If I was going that route, I would be looking at the Camry Hybrid. Now the Lexus IS350 AWD, is another matter....

Last edited by heisnuts; 01-14-2014 at 11:38 AM.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:38 AM
David_Dude

Received 581 Likes on 515 Posts
Originally Posted by Colorado Guy AF Ret.
Also, this model shown does not have exhaust finishers. I'm a little or a lot disappointed....it could come with them on production models...BUT...remember this...they dropped them from the MDX....the RDX did not come with exh. finishers...so, some logic is telling me they will continue that theme and not have exposed cool looking exhaust finishers. And I will be disappointed in that.....
Don't forget the ILX. I figured the whole lineup would end up with hidden exhaust tips. Either way I really like the TLX.

I watched it. No complaints at the moment. TLX is a very nice looking vehicle imo. I heard that it goes into production mid-year. So I'm guessing around the same timeline as the 3G MDX.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:43 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 231 Likes on 207 Posts
Originally Posted by heisnuts

My concern is that they will go with the setup they have in the RLX and MDX, meaning that to do just about anything you will have to go through multiple screens just to do a simple thing like turn on the seat heater. Turning on the seat heater on a MDX or RLX requires pressing the seat picture on the screen, then selecting the desired heat level on the screen, and then closing out of the seat heater screen. And then once the car is shut off, the heater goes back to off so you have to go through this all over again after running into the store for a second. With the new set up the 9 buttons on the dash really do not accomplish the end goal, they just open up the starting screen for you to navigate through the system to accomplish what you are looking to do.

It will have 4 modes for you to choose: Econ, Normal, Sport and Sport+. All of which allows the driver to adjust throttle response, EPS and the SH-AWD system. They call it the Integreated Dynamics System (IDS).
Old 01-14-2014, 11:45 AM
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Does anyone know if it will be built in Japan? I heard rumors saying it will be built in the US.
Banned

Received 198 Likes on 147 Posts
I'd do anything to have another Acura but I've driven the new v6 TSX and SH-AWD TL and nothing even comes close to topping the fit/finish of the older Acura's...cheapened panels, spongy ride, no driver feedback, no exhilaration in the models that are even faster than any TL-S
You are either blind or you never really took a ride or step a foot on a 4G TL....the look is obviously subjective so I do not discuss it but it must take a huge amount of denial to do not recognize that the 4G is a vast improvement over the 3G TL in terms of interiors, design (subjective) and quality (objective)
On substance the 4G is like a class above what a 3G was.

No exhilaration on a SH-AWD?? Really???
The following 2 users liked this post by saturno_v:
a35tl (01-14-2014), Jackieee_TL (01-14-2014)
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 73 Posts
Originally Posted by Nexx
I guess he wants to drive a real sports sedan
a35tl (01-14-2014)
Old 01-14-2014, 11:54 AM
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by vtec407
Does anyone know if it will be built in Japan? I heard rumors saying it will be built in the US.
It will be built in Ohio.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:55 AM
Banned

Received 198 Likes on 147 Posts
A mixed bag for me...definitely better than what I feared considering that turd on wheels called RLX.

The car look smaller than current 4G, cute sporty lines in places, not totally sold on the front yet.

At least they kept a bit of the pointed rear style albeit toned down.

Cannot avoid seeing some resemblance to the the Malibu on the side

I would give Acura a B+ overall, C on originality..I was terrified at the idea they may have badly copied the BMW Hofmeister kink on the rear door like they did on the RLX (and Lexus did on the GS)..well at least the took "inspiration" from the Lexus IS :-)

They did their homework but nothing to pull your hair.

A- on technology...finally a DCT 8 speed and jumping in the front of the pack with the 9 Speed....hopefully the shift timing and dynamic will be dramatically improved compared to the current TL.

Disappointed at the lack of FI engines...maybe the 2.4 is Turbo???

In the end, so far does not make me want to rush to the dealer and trade my TL which so far I do prefer on looks alone.

Last edited by saturno_v; 01-14-2014 at 12:05 PM.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:55 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by vtec407
I am sure it will be built in Marysville, Ohio, where the current TL is produced.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:56 AM
David_Dude

Received 581 Likes on 515 Posts
Originally Posted by saturno_v
You are either blind or you never really took a ride or step a foot on a 4G TL....the look is obviously subjective so I do not discuss it but it must take a huge amount of denial to do not recognize that the 4G is a vast improvement over the 3G TL in terms of interiors, design (subjective) and quality (objective)
On substance the 4G is like a class above what a 3G was.

No exhilaration on a SH-AWD?? Really???
The 4G's interior is extremely nice imo. Exterior isn't too bad, it's grown on me, but I haven't figured what throws me off about it. I think it's the back of the car.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:59 AM
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 23 Posts
It looks fawking awesome. it already has aggressive lines without bodykits.
a35tl (01-14-2014)
Old 01-14-2014, 12:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 231 Likes on 207 Posts
Originally Posted by saturno_v
A mixed bag for me...definitely better than what I feared considering that turd on wheels called RLX.

The car look smaller than current 4G, cute sporty lines in places, not totally sold on the front yet.

At least the kept a bit of the pointed rear style albeit toned down.

Cannot avoid seeing some resemblance to the the Malibu on the side

I would give Acura a B+ overall, C-- on originality

They did their homework but nothign to pull your hair.

A- on technology...finally a DCT 8 speed and jumping in the front of the pack on the 9 Speed....hopefully the shift time and dynamic will be dramatically improved compared to the current TL.

Disappointed at the lack of FI engines...maybe the 2.4 is Turbo???

In the end, so far does not make me want to rush to the dealer and trade my TL which so far I do prefer on looks alone.

The front and rear overhangs are shorter on the TLX and it is much more sculpted than the Malibu. It has curves and curves are nice lol.
Old 01-14-2014, 12:10 PM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
The PR pics look amazing, the pics people took at the show, not as much. The PR pics make it look like there are deep lowlights and heavy sculpting that don't appear to actually be there in the pics posted from the show.

The back end looks squished. The 3.5V6 is anemic... I'm not committing to anything until I see and drive a real production model, but based on what I'm seeing so far, I'm not in love.
Old 01-14-2014, 12:17 PM
Racer

I really hope bottom sharp-looking-led thing in actual production design.
Old 01-14-2014, 12:21 PM
Account closed

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by yooin14
It looks fawking awesome. it already has aggressive lines without bodykits.

Those side skirts and front "spoilers" will never make production, that will be an Acura accessory
Old 01-14-2014, 12:32 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Strippers4Me
Those side skirts and front "spoilers" will never make production, that will be an Acura accessory
This is true, or they will be stock on the V6 only.
Old 01-14-2014, 12:35 PM
Intermediate

For those of us who enjoy driving manual transmission cars, another one bites the dust. It is too bad because the powertrain combination would be interesting with 3 pedals. Maybe next year there could be hope, since the manual was introduced in 2010 a year after the 4G. I won't be holding my breath.

We are now down to the 335i Xdrive or the S4.
Old 01-14-2014, 12:38 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Strippers4Me
but it is one piece ( part of front bumper ) and then acura never has introduced their all new car with body kit installed.

Well I might be wrong tho. but Acura seems trying hard to get in real game recently. Their move is very unlikely these days. Look at RLX Gallery section on their site. they keep swapping with new pictures. lol
Old 01-14-2014, 12:39 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Much better looking than the current 4G TL.

Quick Reply: 2015 TLX is official!