2015 Acura TLX vs 2015 Hyundai Genesis

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 12:06 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by ggesq
How many of you think potential customers i.e. those in the market for E-Class, 5 series, A6, GS- would really cross shop the 15' Genesis? IMHO- they wouldn't. Although it is leaps and bounds better than its predecessor and larger, I still believe the entry level market is where the Genesis is going to win sales.
I will take the other side of that bet. Genesis sales are roughly 50% to those trading from higher name plates. People's mind set changed a lot after the economy tanked. A Genesis comparably equipped to my A6 is $11-12K less. There are some driving dynamic differences, but remember that the majority of buyers are not enthusiasts like us on this forum. Read the Genesis forums and you will find plenty of people that went German or even Lexus LS and came to Genesis.
Old 08-07-2014, 12:24 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 835 Likes on 519 Posts
Originally Posted by KeithL
I will take the other side of that bet. Genesis sales are roughly 50% to those trading from higher name plates. People's mind set changed a lot after the economy tanked. A Genesis comparably equipped to my A6 is $11-12K less. There are some driving dynamic differences, but remember that the majority of buyers are not enthusiasts like us on this forum. Read the Genesis forums and you will find plenty of people that went German or even Lexus LS and came to Genesis.
This is similar to the TLX vs 3 series, A4, case. As is, the TLX 3.5 is much cheaper than a comparably equipped 328i for example.
Old 08-07-2014, 12:31 PM
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by iforyou
This is similar to the TLX vs 3 series, A4, case. As is, the TLX 3.5 is much cheaper than a comparably equipped 328i for example.
^^^very true. Just yesterday, I built a 328i on their site and comparably equipped cane out to a shade under 53k. Still no option for ventilated seats.
Old 08-07-2014, 01:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts
50%? Have a link to this stat (or is that a guess from the Genesis forums)? If that is true, that's great for Hyundai.
Old 08-07-2014, 01:38 PM
Cruisin'

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Segment lines are not black and white. The car rags and manufactureres do not ultimatley decide what the competitors are, they guess or target. It comes down to what buyer wants to cross shop and while they may not be direct competitors on paper I believe they are for many. I also think they reason it becomes a TLX competitor is due to the lack luster reception of the RLX. So you get people (myself included) that wanted the RLX to be better styled and SH-AWD and have been disappointed by the car and ride. They do not want a German car for whatever reason and thus are looking at an Asian make. So if the RLX revolts you you are left with the TLX and competitors, the IS is rather small, the ES rather floaty. The Q50 is an option, or if these are all too small yu then have the Genesis. It straddle the price points of the TLX/IS/Q50, but then offers more of what you might find in the GS/Q70/RLX. This is how it becomes a competitor.
Talk about a drastic stretch in order to justify your longstanding, acura-bashing opinion.
Old 08-07-2014, 02:36 PM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by shiratori1
talk about a drastic stretch in order to justify your longstanding, acura-bashing opinion.
lol!
Old 08-07-2014, 02:38 PM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Originally Posted by hddnav
Snobbery aside, I think the perception of Hyundai being junk is more of a generational thing. The Koreans lag the Japanese by about 4 decades, when it comes to being known for making quality goods. In the 1990's, Korean goods were commonly seen the same way Chinese goods are today.

For someone who grew up before the 2000's, Hyundai's reputation was indeed synonymous with junk.

Working in the high-tech sector today and having exposure to Samsung and LG electrical engineers, I can understand when others have a hard time attributing excellence with Korean engineering. I'm sure this will change in time, but reputations take a long time to build.

I recently bought a new refrigerator, and I consciously avoided Samsungs and LGs, in favor of a Whirlpool. In truth, they have all been known for their share of problems, regardless of brand, but I just couldn't get myself to spend several grand on a product that I didn't perceive to be of good quality.

...that's why a products track record is usually ture measuring tape when making a purchase.
Old 08-07-2014, 02:43 PM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Originally Posted by bnilhome
Why are we continuing to compare the TLX to the Genesis. They are not in the same segment. The Genesis is notably bigger and really would be in competition with the RLX, 5-series, etc..

The TLX, as has been noted in multiple reviews this week, is in competition with the 3-series, A4, C-class, etc...

I have seen the Genesis in person, and it is a very nice looking sedan. The TLX also has improved its styling from prior generations, so both can be nice looking sedans, but they are targeted toward different car segments.
...folks want to bitch slap Acura all the time, don't you get it by now, LOL! I'm______ (Fill in the blank with you're favorite German and now Korean brand) Bitch! LOL!
Old 08-07-2014, 02:46 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Originally Posted by Shiratori1
Talk about a drastic stretch in order to justify your longstanding, acura-bashing opinion.
Keith has been a member of AcuraZine for a long time and has owned many Acura vehicles. He is open minded and presents well - balanced opinions.
The following 4 users liked this post by ggesq:
BEAR-AvHistory (08-07-2014), mr2core (08-08-2014), Oswald Vater (08-08-2014), Rocketsfan (08-07-2014)
Old 08-07-2014, 04:34 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Stew4HD
The word sporty is being tossed around a lot on here. It seems that the word is an adjective and is totally subjective.

Lots of people call the 3 series sporty, I do not other than the M. The 335 has a touch of it. Others talk about how sporty the MBs are. The SL, SEL class and AMG, yeah but he others? Not many other MB's do anything for me.

I found the 4G & 4G MMC to be quite sporty looking. The 3G never hit me as sporty.

Very subjective
BMW has really broken down into 4 drivelines: Standard, Sport, M Sport and M. I put the latter two still in the sport category. The 335i M sport is not slouch...

I thought the 3G 6MT and Type S were solid performers.
The following users liked this post:
BEAR-AvHistory (08-08-2014)
Old 08-07-2014, 06:42 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
Keith has been a member of AcuraZine for a long time and has owned many Acura vehicles. He is open minded and presents well - balanced opinions.
I concur....There are very great contributors here (Colin, Stew4HD, KeithL, Treblig, Trigirl and many more). I would like to think that I am a decent person too and can help our make this forum a great place to be.....
Old 08-07-2014, 06:57 PM
Suzuka Master

50%? Have a link to this stat (or is that a guess from the Genesis forums)? If that is true, that's great for Hyundai.
It was stated in several reviews based on what Hyundai has stated.i will search I have read it several times.
ggesq (08-08-2014)
Old 08-07-2014, 07:14 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Shiratori1
Fair in your opinion. I am critical of Acura because I have yearned to return and they just keep letting me down. My 4G AWD was one of the best cars I have owned. I hated the beak and lack of real silver. I move to Infiniti in 2010 because Acura had nothing for me. When the RLX released I was at my dealer the day their demo showed up and drove it 45 minutes (my review is in the RLX forum) only to be disappointed by the lack of AWD and less than refined suspension tuning, not to mention the styling. That said, if they would have had a SH-AWD, I may have gotten one especially with current discounts. I would still consider a RLX if they offered SH-AWD and a Type-S model.

I have not written off the TLX yet, but after experiencing Audi's MMI and navi I think Acura is in the stone ages with their head unit. Also front leg room is critical to me, and the gf had a 11 TSX and now a 14 RDX and both suck for my leg room, so if TLX is more like the TSX then I will have to pass. Also if you look at my posts you will see I have predicted the TLX will be a huge success and probably exceed even their projections. Just because I and others here are not happy with Acura's decisions does not mean they are not building a reliable successful car. We just wish they would pull their heads out of their ass, figure out how to market cars that have a broader market. Lexus was slow to catch on a bit and their F Sport models have been more successful then even Lexus thought they would be. Some of us enthusiats are looking at track times, but the mass market buyer just needs a sportier option, they are not tracking the car or ruling slaloms.
The following 3 users liked this post by KeithL:
BEAR-AvHistory (08-08-2014), fsttyms1 (08-08-2014), LiQiCE (08-13-2014)
Old 08-07-2014, 07:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Here is one comment from Hyundai a few years back.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/hyundai-...nd-owners.html

Still looking for some of the more recent comments.
ggesq (08-08-2014)
Old 08-07-2014, 11:06 PM
Racer

Received 106 Likes on 65 Posts
Just a side-note related to the comparison of manufacturers (most notably between Honda and Hyundai):

While browsing the comments on another site, I came across this:

http://www.webmd.com/men/news/201202...ar-smell-toxic

"
They say the top-rated automaker for healthy interiors in 2012 was Honda and has been since it started testing in 2007. Hyundai-Kia has been the lowest-ranked manufacturer for the last two years.

German automaker VW, along with Mitsubishi and Ford, earned the title of most-improved automakers. Their scores improved by 30% to 42% from the 2009-2010 model year to the 2011-2012 model year.

Daimler AG and Volvo were the only two automakers with declining average scores, -29% and -13%, respectively.
"

Not sure how authoritative this article or research is but nevertheless, this is the kind of details that are important but few consumers notice or even care about. That's what I appreciate with Honda -- they put efforts on some non non-sense stuff that are not considered "cool" or have a "wow" factor but they do it anyway and often without advertising it. That is honorable to me.

Last edited by dysonlu; 08-07-2014 at 11:10 PM.
Old 08-08-2014, 01:00 AM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by dysonlu
Just a side-note related to the comparison of manufacturers (most notably between Honda and Hyundai):

While browsing the comments on another site, I came across this:

http://www.webmd.com/men/news/201202...ar-smell-toxic

"
They say the top-rated automaker for healthy interiors in 2012 was Honda and has been since it started testing in 2007. Hyundai-Kia has been the lowest-ranked manufacturer for the last two years.

German automaker VW, along with Mitsubishi and Ford, earned the title of most-improved automakers. Their scores improved by 30% to 42% from the 2009-2010 model year to the 2011-2012 model year.

Daimler AG and Volvo were the only two automakers with declining average scores, -29% and -13%, respectively.
"

Not sure how authoritative this article or research is but nevertheless, this is the kind of details that are important but few consumers notice or even care about. That's what I appreciate with Honda -- they put efforts on some non non-sense stuff that are not considered "cool" or have a "wow" factor but they do it anyway and often without advertising it. That is honorable to me.
I apologize up front if this sounds condescending, but that article should be dismissed and disregarded completely. It is the equivalent of an article comparing which type of juice is best for a cleanse of your body and soul.

It did not provide a reference to the source of the data and we have no idea if in fact the study was done or if it was done property. We have no idea if the study had been scrutinized by peer review. Also there are no evidence provided that link these ratings to actual effects on health or showing any correlations suggesting such effect.

It is no secret that I like the Genesis a lot and will withhold my opinion on the TLX until I get to experience it in person. But to stay objective, here is actually an article that raises valid concern.

http://jalopnik.com/hyundai-hit-with...ake-1617824291

Mind you that Honda has its own fair share of screw ups. I lived through the horror of the transmission problem on my TL myself. Yet I am still considering another Acura, shows you how much of a Honda fan I truly am.
BEAR-AvHistory (08-08-2014)
Old 08-08-2014, 01:36 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by SL1200MK4
I apologize up front if this sounds condescending, but that article should be dismissed and disregarded completely. It is the equivalent of an article comparing which type of juice is best for a cleanse of your body and soul.

It did not provide a reference to the source of the data and we have no idea if in fact the study was done or if it was done property. We have no idea if the study had been scrutinized by peer review. Also there are no evidence provided that link these ratings to actual effects on health or showing any correlations suggesting such effect.

It is no secret that I like the Genesis a lot and will withhold my opinion on the TLX until I get to experience it in person. But to stay objective, here is actually an article that raises valid concern.

http://jalopnik.com/hyundai-hit-with...ake-1617824291

Mind you that Honda has its own fair share of screw ups. I lived through the horror of the transmission problem on my TL myself. Yet I am still considering another Acura, shows you how much of a Honda fan I truly am.

The article provides a source:

"
SOURCES:

Ecology Center, 2012 New Vehicle Study.

News release, HealthyStuff.org.
"

As for the study's methodology, I guess you would need to contact the author of the study. There are so many studies being done these days, the vast majority of them never get peer reviewed anyway. Same with irrefutable evidences, lots of things never got demonstrated by science that it was true beyond doubts.

Me personally, if I'm less exposed to chemicals, the better. Would it stop me from buying a car that may have higher concentration of chemicals? Probably not. But it's always better to be aware of something than not.

Edit: I think this is the original study report: http://www.ecocenter.org/sites/defau.../2012_cars.pdf

Last edited by dysonlu; 08-08-2014 at 01:46 AM.
SL1200MK4 (08-08-2014)
Old 08-08-2014, 06:11 AM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
The article provides a source:

"
SOURCES:

Ecology Center, 2012 New Vehicle Study.

News release, HealthyStuff.org.
"

As for the study's methodology, I guess you would need to contact the author of the study. There are so many studies being done these days, the vast majority of them never get peer reviewed anyway. Same with irrefutable evidences, lots of things never got demonstrated by science that it was true beyond doubts.

Me personally, if I'm less exposed to chemicals, the better. Would it stop me from buying a car that may have higher concentration of chemicals? Probably not. But it's always better to be aware of something than not.

Edit: I think this is the original study report: http://www.ecocenter.org/sites/defau.../2012_cars.pdf
Thank you for locating the article.

But that actually proves my exact point. This is a self published study with no peer review. I can post 100 papers on my personal website, but I certainly cannot claim these as 100 published journal papers on my CV.

Also, this is from a non-profit group. Do keep in mind that non profit does not translate into no bias or no hidden agenda. Not suggesting or insinuating anything here, it is up to each individual to decide for themselves as to take the study seriously or dismiss it completely.

And please understand that while I personally choose to dismiss that study, it doesn't mean that I dismiss the issue of harmful substances that might be present in new vehicles.
Old 08-08-2014, 07:52 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
How many of you think potential customers i.e. those in the market for E-Class, 5 series, A6, GS- would really cross shop the 15' Genesis? IMHO- they wouldn't. Although it is leaps and bounds better than its predecessor and larger, I still believe the entry level market is where the Genesis is going to win sales.
You might be surprised how many.
My dad did. What he got with his genesis would have cost him 15k more for the 5 series he was already negotiating on when i told him to go take a look at it.

Old 08-08-2014, 09:21 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by SL1200MK4
Thank you for locating the article.

But that actually proves my exact point. This is a self published study with no peer review. I can post 100 papers on my personal website, but I certainly cannot claim these as 100 published journal papers on my CV.

Also, this is from a non-profit group. Do keep in mind that non profit does not translate into no bias or no hidden agenda. Not suggesting or insinuating anything here, it is up to each individual to decide for themselves as to take the study seriously or dismiss it completely.

And please understand that while I personally choose to dismiss that study, it doesn't mean that I dismiss the issue of harmful substances that might be present in new vehicles.

True. I'm well aware that non-profit does not mean non-biased. And also true: nowadays, with so much information from so-called experts thrown at us, it's up to us to make a conscious judgement of what to believe and what to question.

In any case, the study is food for thought and that alone makes it, I think, worth mentionning.
Old 08-08-2014, 09:49 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by iforyou
Right but have you looked at sales figures on goodcarbadcar.net? I'm sure the next comment is they are all stripper cars. Even i was surprised.
Old 08-08-2014, 09:52 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
You might be surprised how many.
My dad did. What he got with his genesis would have cost him 15k more for the 5 series he was already negotiating on when i told him to go take a look at it.

Right, but the 5 series is outselling the genesis almost 2 to 1.
Old 08-08-2014, 10:40 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by g37guy01
Right, but the 5 series is outselling the genesis almost 2 to 1.
Doesn't mean the 5 is better or worse, just means it has more appeal to more buyers right now. Roll the clock back almost 20 years and the Lexus LS came out, no one would have put it in the same league with MB, BMW then, now they do. I don't think Hyundai will ever compete head to head with the Germans, but they will carve themselves a nice piece of the pie for those of use that have either feel they satisfy our needs.
Old 08-08-2014, 10:54 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Hyundai does very well with their entry level cars
Old 08-08-2014, 11:00 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Right but have you looked at sales figures on goodcarbadcar.net? I'm sure the next comment is they are all stripper cars. Even i was surprised.
The stripped car & leasing is always the fall back to why the sales are so high. 12,400 3's were sold in June most are off dealers lots.

Can't say one size fits all, but neither Leith or Performance, the two Research Triangle dealers have a bunch of strippers on their lots. Generally they would need to be ordered but even then they would then be split between strippers & performance special orders.

Leases are 50% of the total BMW sales according to BMW Financial.

The local MB, Audi & Lexus lots look the same.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 08-08-2014 at 11:04 AM.
Old 08-08-2014, 11:08 AM
Suzuka Master

Doesn't mean the 5 is better or worse, just means it has more appeal to more buyers right now. Roll the clock back almost 20 years and the Lexus LS came out, no one would have put it in the same league with MB, BMW then, now they do. I don't think Hyundai will ever compete head to head with the Germans, but they will carve themselves a nice piece of the pie for those of use that have either feel they satisfy our needs.
Unlike a lot I believe at the upper end of its product line Hyundai is maybe a generation away from a very competitive car following the Lexus growth pattern. They look to be recognizing where they fall short, handling for one, & are hiring the right management people to fill those gaps.
Old 08-08-2014, 11:09 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
The stripped car & leasing is always the fall back to why the sales are so high. 12,400 3's were sold in June most are off dealers lots.

Can't say one size fits all, but neither Leith or Performance, the two Research Triangle dealers have a bunch of strippers on their lots. Generally they would need to be ordered but even then they would then be split between strippers & performance special orders.

Leases are 50% of the total BMW sales according to BMW Financial.

The local MB, Audi & Lexus lots look the same.
The downside, to me being how ZI am, is that there are 3's everywhere. It's like they are the "flavor of the month" and the 'gotta have" car. It's for tjhat reason I don't even go there for this class of car. The C class MBs are getting that way as well.

I don't see so many M series or AMGs though
Old 08-08-2014, 12:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Correct! BMW is on a roll for whatever reason. And a further thought, one doesn't know the internal sales targets; BMW might not have hit targets; while Hyundai did.
Old 08-08-2014, 12:34 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 835 Likes on 519 Posts
Haha I wasn't saying the TLX will outsell the 3 series man......
Old 08-08-2014, 01:35 PM
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
Consider this $17 million fine on Hyundai for delaying a recall on a known 2012 Genesis sedan brake problem:

http://money.cnn.com/2014/08/07/auto...ine/index.html
Old 08-11-2014, 04:59 AM
vbx
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by 2011TL
Consider this $17 million fine on Hyundai for delaying a recall on a known 2012 Genesis sedan brake problem:

http://money.cnn.com/2014/08/07/auto...ine/index.html
Our Govt hates competition. They picked on Toyota a few years back. What was it? 1 Prius crashed? And the media went on a Toyota bashing spree.

What fines did our Govt place on GM and the 300+ deaths caused by them refusing to recall an ignition defects / airbag failure on their cars?

No outrage by the Media. I wonders why.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...irbag/6401257/
Old 08-11-2014, 05:44 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by vbx
Our Govt hates competition. They picked on Toyota a few years back. What was it? 1 Prius crashed? And the media went on a Toyota bashing spree.

What fines did our Govt place on GM and the 300+ deaths caused by them refusing to recall an ignition defects / airbag failure on their cars?

No outrage by the Media. I wonders why.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...irbag/6401257/
Our government hates competetion? Do you mean from foreign entities? If that were true, the gov. would apply the kinds of import taxes that the export countries apply to our exports.
Old 08-11-2014, 01:55 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Stew4HD
The downside, to me being how ZI am, is that there are 3's everywhere. It's like they are the "flavor of the month" and the 'gotta have" car. It's for tjhat reason I don't even go there for this class of car. The C class MBs are getting that way as well.

I don't see so many M series or AMGs though
Yeah they are all over the place here. Most common here are the 3's followed by MB then Audi & the non-Camry Lexus. When the TL 3G was in production they were equally common. Once was at a light with 5 others

M's are not really rare but certainly fewer in numbers than the non-M models. The AMG's are a lot more prevalent than the M3.

Expect that will change with the new M3/4 getting turbo I6 to replace the V8. Any lightly tuned 335i or pretty stock 335 IS could take out the V8 M3 in everything but handling. Lots of us would not pay the premium for the M3 without it having the performance edge it had in the past.

Recently, the only 4G TL I see on a regular bases is the one the guy across the street has. TL's are very rare cars now. Think when the 3G's went to the next owners most of the original owners went to other brands.

Think the TLX will do much better & expect to see more of them around.
Stew4HD (08-11-2014)
Old 08-12-2014, 10:27 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The 2011-2013 BMW's ride nice but handle, blah. Even with the M -Sport package. It was not until 2014 year that the suspension was changed to handle more like a BMW. I have a 2013 550i and rides great but handles more like luxury sedan than a sports sedan. My 2008 550 handled much better.
Old 08-13-2014, 01:42 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Mark824
The 2011-2013 BMW's ride nice but handle, blah. Even with the M -Sport package. It was not until 2014 year that the suspension was changed to handle more like a BMW. I have a 2013 550i and rides great but handles more like luxury sedan than a sports sedan. My 2008 550 handled much better.
Did not think my 2011 335is handled badly once I put non-run flat Conti DW 245X275 summers on it @ 1500 miles. Was very unpleasant with the factory RFT.

The 135is has better grade RFT & is very agile yet still has a comfortable ride. Both C&D + R&T have rated its handling as one of the best non-M cars BMW had made to that point in time.

That said the 435M-Sport/MPPK with the real time adjustable suspension is a major improvement in handling over any I have owned including a 330Ci ZHP which was the pick of the litter for its generation.

I think in the current 5 series all the performance items have been built into the M5 & the rest are oriented toward being luxury cruisers. Would not be surprised if the current 3 series is close to the size of your old 5.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 08-13-2014 at 01:51 AM.
Old 08-13-2014, 03:00 AM
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
Strangely enough, despite the overall sales drop in the 4G, if you come around my vicinity and demographic, even a few counties out, you would never think that the TL had ever missed a beat. I know I have posted this a few times here over the years when it has come up but only because it is an odd reality and it's so contrasting. Here, 4G TL's are as prevalent as almost anything else and that includes the 3G, maybe a few shy on a bad day but otherwise still plenty. More the MMC than not at this time but before it came out the 09-11 models were nearly as common anyway.

I don't think the vehicle has suffered much of anything in it's core markets than it has outside of them, and for the most part the overall reception of the vehicle is still largely positive here which is not only obvious but also evident. Take a trip to NYC and travel an upwards of 45 minutes to an hour outside the city in most directions and you will know immediately. Not just playing devils advocate here either, live in between two of the busiest main roads in surrounding towns and cities, get great sampling from the front yard nevermind traveling on them daily. Sounds like some of you guys would be shocked to see it. Just thought the importance of demographics and markets plays it's role as well, where you have areas where you can go weeks without seeing a single one where others may see as many as some see in a year in a single day.

Last edited by winstrolvtec; 08-13-2014 at 03:10 AM.
Stew4HD (08-13-2014)
Old 08-13-2014, 07:58 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by winstrolvtec
Strangely enough, despite the overall sales drop in the 4G, if you come around my vicinity and demographic, even a few counties out, you would never think that the TL had ever missed a beat. I know I have posted this a few times here over the years when it has come up but only because it is an odd reality and it's so contrasting. Here, 4G TL's are as prevalent as almost anything else and that includes the 3G, maybe a few shy on a bad day but otherwise still plenty. More the MMC than not at this time but before it came out the 09-11 models were nearly as common anyway.

I don't think the vehicle has suffered much of anything in it's core markets than it has outside of them, and for the most part the overall reception of the vehicle is still largely positive here which is not only obvious but also evident. Take a trip to NYC and travel an upwards of 45 minutes to an hour outside the city in most directions and you will know immediately. Not just playing devils advocate here either, live in between two of the busiest main roads in surrounding towns and cities, get great sampling from the front yard nevermind traveling on them daily. Sounds like some of you guys would be shocked to see it. Just thought the importance of demographics and markets plays it's role as well, where you have areas where you can go weeks without seeing a single one where others may see as many as some see in a year in a single day.
I noticed the same thing on a recent trip to the Philly area. Acura's in general seem to be more popular there than in SE FL. Even my wife noticed and she's not a "car" person.
Old 09-14-2014, 01:39 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by justnspace
an answer to your question

"On the plus side some great deals can be had....

Civic down 11%
CRZ down 11%
Fit down 3%
Insight down 33%
Crosstour down 43%
Odyssey down 21%
Pilot down 19%
Ridgeline down 21%

ILX down 20%
RLX down 68% - they sold 208 of them
TL down 62%
TSX down 73%
RDX down 14%

Accord up 7%
CR-V up less than 1%
MDX up 9%
"
I already answered you here: https://acurazine.com/forums/fifth-g.../#post15104174

But here's Honda's own answer:

"All-time Record Sales for Honda Accord Leads American Honda to Near-Record August"
Temple of VTEC Rumors and News - Honda releases sales figures for August 2014
Old 09-14-2014, 12:25 PM
Suzuka Master

I already answered you here: https://acurazine.com/forums/fifth-g.../#post15104174

But here's Honda's own answer:

"All-time Record Sales for Honda Accord Leads American Honda to Near-Record August"
Temple of VTEC Rumors and News - Honda releases sales figures for August 2014
Not sure what Accord sales has to do with anything about Acura sales, different demographic & competition. The TLX is off to a very good start but needs to double its monthly volume to make its target annual rate.

Right now a combination of first on the block demand & lack of supply tend to distort the numbers. Will take a few months to settle out for the long haul.
Old 09-14-2014, 12:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 849 Likes on 679 Posts
I think the tlx will blow up locally. The Genesis had its hay day and they are already on the decline here. Seeing more and more ilx daily so I'm sure tlx will follow.

This is speaking only in my area.

Quick Reply: 2015 Acura TLX vs 2015 Hyundai Genesis