2015 Acura TLX - Success or Fail?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 12:16 PM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
Overall success. However I feel that the jump from the 4g to the TLX is incremental and has few surprises. I feel that the new features are just what was needed to stay in the game. The new look doesn't seem as noticeable as the new G37(Q50) or the IS.

I do expect more sales on the TLX over the 4G TL overall. Where I live I see a ton of 4G TLs, probably about 5-10 a day, and I have a feeling that I will see more TLX's in comparison once they've been on the market for a while.
Old 07-14-2014, 12:48 PM
Midnight Marauder

Received 56 Likes on 42 Posts
Success, this thread should include a poll.
Old 07-14-2014, 12:58 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,210 Posts
If the OP wants a poll, one of us can add one.
Old 07-14-2014, 02:43 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 301 Likes on 258 Posts
No. Acura has kinda fallen out of the game. The TLX isnt really any different from anything else in Acura's lineup and nothing they have is selling well (I suppose the MDX is doing alright). The TLX styling reminds me of a bland/waterd down IS-XXX. There is no sport trim available, no 6MT and frankly these 8-9 speed automatics that honda is putting in these things makes me a little skeptical. One thing it does have going for it is pricing, and the jewl eye head lights are kinda neat.

Since Acura has discontinued both the TSX and TL wont this TLX need to make up the sales for 2 different models? Thats a tall order and I just dont think the TLX will be successfull. but we'll see, providing its ever released lol.
Old 07-14-2014, 03:33 PM
David_Dude

Received 581 Likes on 515 Posts
Originally Posted by nttstt444
No. Acura has kinda fallen out of the game. The TLX isnt really any different from anything else in Acura's lineup and nothing they have is selling well (I suppose the MDX is doing alright). The TLX styling reminds me of a bland/waterd down IS-XXX. There is no sport trim available, no 6MT and frankly these 8-9 speed automatics that honda is putting in these things makes me a little skeptical. One thing it does have going for it is pricing, and the jewl eye head lights are kinda neat.

Since Acura has discontinued both the TSX and TL wont this TLX need to make up the sales for 2 different models? Thats a tall order and I just dont think the TLX will be successfull. but we'll see, providing its ever released lol.
The MDX and RDX are selling very well. They're a success in terms of sales. Those two are the one's that's carrying Acura at the moment, imo.

http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2011/01...s-figures.html (RDX)

http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2011/01...s-figures.html (MDX)
Old 07-14-2014, 03:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 301 Likes on 258 Posts
^I stand corrected, the SUV's arent doing too bad.
Old 07-14-2014, 05:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 125 Posts
Success.
Old 07-14-2014, 05:35 PM
David_Dude

Received 581 Likes on 515 Posts
^I stand corrected, the SUV's arent doing too bad.
No big deal. I'm sure the TLX will be a success. Acura really doesn't have a choice. If the TLX is a success, we may get a "Type-S" version at the MMC. The ILX should have better goodies too for it's MMC. IDK about the RLX. It's a very nice car though.
Old 07-14-2014, 05:58 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 835 Likes on 519 Posts

Acura has been a little lost with their sedans.

After the 4G TL, I think it's wise for Acura to design the TLX a little bit on the bland side.

Too bad there's no manual but this seems to be a trend these days.

I can understand why you are skeptical about the trannies, but would you rather Honda continue with 6AT?
Old 07-14-2014, 05:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
I say it'll be mildly successful but I hope for more. I am curious to see one.

I have been contacted many times by my local dealer about getting one and may just jump on it. I like that they offer a nice blue this time around.... not if only they allow the colors to be across the different packages....
Old 07-14-2014, 07:00 PM
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
I think it will be a success. As a long time Acura driver (94 Integra followed by 04 TSX) I have been waiting for years for a sedan from Honda that I would consider buying. Based on what I have seen so far, the TLX appears to be it. I will probably try to hold out for a 2016 model, to try to avoid first year production problems, and hopefully to get better standard wheels on the 4 cyl model.
Old 07-14-2014, 07:05 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
Originally Posted by ggesq
If the OP wants a poll, one of us can add one.
...can I request a "stripper" pole?
Old 07-14-2014, 07:25 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Please weather, stay off the pole!
The following users liked this post:
jwong77 (07-15-2014)
Old 07-14-2014, 08:18 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
^^ Not for me! I was going to be the greaser and the one cleaning the pole....

Flattered that you consider me "pole" material though....can you talk to my g/f please.
Old 07-15-2014, 03:31 AM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

Received 345 Likes on 253 Posts
^^ The TLX trim with the stripper pole is only available in Quebec.

Ps. Sorry I couldn't resist
weather (07-18-2014)
Old 07-15-2014, 04:25 AM
vbx
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony Pac
I found out that TLX has 40/60 split seat. Q50 & IS250 don't offer it. This is a big deal for a lot of people.
The Q50 does if the 60/40 split seats. You just have to get the Touring Package with the Remote Control Steering.....
Old 07-15-2014, 03:44 PM
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts
Lower trims-success (I can see alot of upper trim Accord shoppers, cross shopping the lower trim TLX)
Upper trims-not really sure so I'll say moderate success (as loaded as the upper trim TLX is for the price point, some people would still rather have a German badge in a lower trim with less options within the same price range)

Last edited by MisterZDX; 07-15-2014 at 03:48 PM.
Old 07-18-2014, 02:42 AM
Racer

Received 106 Likes on 65 Posts
It will sell very well.

There's nothing fundamentally bad about the car given the info available so far.

Acura will prove naysayers wrong by selling one TLX at a time. Naysayers can start thinking about excuses (like dealers giving discounts or Acura pricing it "too low" from the get-go).

Originally Posted by cruiserchuck
I think it will be a success. As a long time Acura driver (94 Integra followed by 04 TSX) I have been waiting for years for a sedan from Honda that I would consider buying. Based on what I have seen so far, the TLX appears to be it. I will probably try to hold out for a 2016 model, to try to avoid first year production problems, and hopefully to get better standard wheels on the 4 cyl model.
Same here. Have been waiting for a worthy successor to my 05 TSX. Have not been impressed by current gen TSX and TL. Will wait a year or two as well. Probably going for the SH-AWD Tech trim.

Last edited by dysonlu; 07-18-2014 at 02:46 AM.
Old 07-18-2014, 06:23 AM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Let's see some reviews/driving impressions first.

If Acura found a way to match the "go-kart feel" that smaller FWD cars like the GTI and Mini Cooper have, then they have a winner on their hands.
Old 07-18-2014, 06:58 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts
For me it will be whether the car feels like an updated TL or an updated TSX. The later would be a deal killer for me.
Old 07-18-2014, 07:52 AM
Pro

Received 181 Likes on 73 Posts
AM helping my sister buy a new car (well, helping her shop). Was really surprised how poor the Mercedes CLA's suspension is. Get a few options on it, and you're knocking on the high $30s door.

I liked the A3/4. She thought they were underwhelming.

BMW....liked the 335i, but getting something similarly equipped as the TLX and you're looking at $55K. 328i loaded up like a TLX puts you at $50K.

Cadillac ATS gets closer, but she's definitely not a GM fan.

TLX hits the spot for her. If she can wait.

I believe it will be a huge hit.
Old 07-18-2014, 07:58 AM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Received 599 Likes on 454 Posts
Originally Posted by jjsC5
For me it will be whether the car feels like an updated TL or an updated TSX. The later would be a deal killer for me.
Interesting point I haven't thought of..

I agree, hopefully it will be an updated/more refined TL. I think it will be
Old 07-18-2014, 08:40 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 105 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by dysonlu
It will sell very well.

There's nothing fundamentally bad about the car given the info available so far.

Acura will prove naysayers wrong by selling one TLX at a time. Naysayers can start thinking about excuses (like dealers giving discounts or Acura pricing it "too low" from the get-go).
Should we get something sporty? No let's look for a car that there's nothing fundamentally wrong with. OOOOH - that sounds exciting!

Acura sold the 4G TL - one car at a time - but they needed to sell several a day for it to be a success. As for excuses - they were plentiful from the fanboys - Oh it was the economy (which for some reason didn't impact a number of other cars), it was that people weren't ready for it. ???? So the Yugo was a car ahead of its time?
Old 07-18-2014, 09:35 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 231 Likes on 207 Posts
It will be a success simply because of pricing.
jjsC5 (07-18-2014)
Old 07-18-2014, 03:36 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by boe_d
Should we get something sporty? No let's look for a car that there's nothing fundamentally wrong with. OOOOH - that sounds exciting!

Acura sold the 4G TL - one car at a time - but they needed to sell several a day for it to be a success. As for excuses - they were plentiful from the fanboys - Oh it was the economy (which for some reason didn't impact a number of other cars), it was that people weren't ready for it. ???? So the Yugo was a car ahead of its time?
Oh, I gather you're one of the naysayers? Don't be mad. The sales numbers of the TLX are not out yet. So I'm only playing the speculation game. I could be wrong.

Way to twist my point to make it sound absurd. Nothing fundamentally wrong means the important stuff are made right. That will help target a wide range of shoppers, which is what Acura wants with this car. Good tech, good price, good fuel economy, good reliability (based on reputation at this point), good drive (to be seen) will help make it on most people's shopping list.

Oh right, the car is not "sporty" and doesn't look exciting enough for the weekend racer wannabes. We get it. Get over it.

What does the 4G TL have to do with this???

By the way, there's something that escapes me for a long time, which I would like to know: why would someone who is convinced this car is not for him/her and that it will be a failure care to frequent these parts of the Web?
a35tl (07-18-2014)
Old 07-18-2014, 04:09 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
...why would someone who is convinced this car is not for him/her and that it will be a failure care to frequent these parts of the Web?
Obviously, it's to "help" the unenlightened see The Truth.
a35tl (07-18-2014)
Old 07-18-2014, 04:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Oh, I gather you're one of the naysayers? Don't be mad. The sales numbers of the TLX are not out yet. So I'm only playing the speculation game. I could be wrong.
I'm neither convinced it will be an utter failure or a success. I can say I'm nonplussed by it but I can't speak for everyone. I can also state unless they make some significant changes SOON it will probably tank despite the price. I was just was amused by the description posted. I wasn't expecting it to look like a Ferrari but I was hoping it would at least be as good looking as the 3G but IMHO it still is short on those looks. But it isn't all about looks. I think the GPS is still about 7 years obsolete. I'd want it to have a hybrid that surpassed the accord although I'd also expect a non hybrid version. I just don't think they've cobbled together anything impressive - but that is just my opinion.

As for the 4G - just about anyone other than a 4G owner would say that car was a failure but in a forum that is dedicated to a car chances you'll have people who want to buy it despite what the general public states. I think an unbiased person would agree the 4G was a failure - both in appearance and sales but a fanboy would find an excuse to state why it was a success despite acceptance. It has been demonstrated on this site time and time again so it is a pretty good example of what I expect to see in this thread as well.

Last edited by boe_d; 07-18-2014 at 04:49 PM.
Old 07-18-2014, 04:57 PM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Success - selling well in lower trims especially the 4-cyl version. I predict it will pick up a lot of sales from the high end Camry/Accord/Altima shoppers looking for a bit more luxury.

Overall average and conservative looks will likely keep it from being a runaway amazing seller. I also see it really struggling at higher trims with the more traditional luxury brands of Lexus, BMW, and Mercedes. All 3 have more distinguished looks and are using better turbo technology to get improved power and fuel efficiency compared to Honda/Acura Tech. Even conservative Lexus will be introducing a Turbo 4 cyl with about 250 HP next year in the IS, BMW will have an engine upgrade from 240 to 250-255HP and Mercedes is also at 240. These will have more torque and power in low RPMs for better driving performance in real world situations and I suspect that the new BMW 328i engine (and maybe even Lexus) will be just about as fast as the Acura V6 in real world driving, with the new B58 6 cyl BMW engine in the 335i really making one wonder what Honda is doing.

I've personally passed on Acura at this point for my latest car and have sort of fallen in love with BMW for the aesthetics, power, fuel economy and actually comparative value given the overall package. However, I'll keep watching Acura as I think the family could use a daily driver car such as the TLX, which I predict will get get even more affordable with some heavy discounting within the year. I'd also love to see a hybrid version that's less ugly but equally performing as the Honda Accord Hybrid.

Last edited by RosieQ; 07-18-2014 at 05:02 PM.
Old 07-18-2014, 05:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts
I'm neither convinced it will be an utter failure or a success. I can say I'm nonplussed by it but I can't speak for everyone. I can also state unless they make some significant changes SOON it will probably tank despite the price. I was just was amused by the description posted. I wasn't expecting it to look like a Ferrari but I was hoping it would at least be as good looking as the 3G but IMHO it still is short on those looks. But it isn't all about looks. I think the GPS is still about 7 years obsolete. I'd want it to have a hybrid that surpassed the accord although I'd also expect a non hybrid version. I just don't think they've cobbled together anything impressive - but that is just my opinion.

As for the 4G - just about anyone other than a 4G owner would say that car was a failure but in a forum that is dedicated to a car chances you'll have people who want to buy it despite what the general public states. I think an unbiased person would agree the 4G was a failure - both in appearance and sales but a fanboy would find an excuse to state why it was a success despite acceptance. It has been demonstrated on this site time and time again so it is a pretty good example of what I expect to see in this thread as well.
Serious question.....why are you on this forum? You don't seem to have anything good to say about any Acura.

I too thing it's humorous that you are saying they better make changes SOON to a car that nobody has seen or driven yet. It would be reasonable for you to say that if they don't make changes YOU are not a buyer.
The following 2 users liked this post by jjsC5:
a35tl (07-19-2014), Stew4HD (07-18-2014)
Old 07-18-2014, 06:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Serious question.....why are you on this forum? You don't seem to have anything good to say about any Acura.

I too thing it's humorous that you are saying they better make changes SOON to a car that nobody has seen or driven yet. It would be reasonable for you to say that if they don't make changes YOU are not a buyer.
Honestly, I'm not sure why I'm on this forum - unless you say it is the best car ever, a lot of people on this forum assume you hate Acura. Truth be told I still have my old acura and still love it. It was an incredible bang for the buck when I bought it and aside from the transmission which was replaced under warranty I think it is very well built. If I said it needed more horse power or it has to have showing tailpipes I might get away with being on this forum but all other acura weaknesses and or flaws are taboo for some reason. Truth be told I don't care about either of those so I'm part of the lunatic fringe.
Old 07-18-2014, 06:34 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
I love how many people say the car will be a failure or less than a success. I have been very critical of Acura as well, but I doubt this car will be anything close to a failure. The 4G TL was not a success to many, but they still sold a bunch of them and TSXs. If you look at the demographic they are clearly aiming for the TLX looks IMO to be on its way to becoming a success. It is priced extremely aggressively compared to all the competition and will be likely be very reliable. We need to remember that the folks on this forum are not the typical demo that Acura is targeting.
Old 07-18-2014, 09:25 PM
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Measures of success are elusive. If volume were the only criterion of success for any given model many would fail miserably by some of the standards stated in this thread. The Bugatti Veyron only sold 47 units in 2013. Yet, Jeremy Clarkson declared the Veyron "the greatest car ever made and the greatest car we will ever see in our lifetime".

The only measure of success I have for the TLX is if I'd buy it. I already voted with my checkbook.

By the way, there's something that escapes me for a long time, which I would like to know: why would someone who is convinced this car is not for him/her and that it will be a failure care to frequent these parts of the Web?
This comment wasn’t directed at me, but I fit the mold. In my case, I’ve owned a number of Acuras and have been very loyal to the brand - including selling hundreds upon hundreds “back in the day”. I love the fact that after driving my MDX to 150k miles that I could give it to my teenage son and not worry one bit about reliability. I was hoping (and still am) that Acura could come up with a "3 series killer".

Originally Posted by Colin
Obviously, it's to "help" the unenlightened see The Truth.
Come on, call it like you see it: we're all just trolls.

If truly nothing good has been said then you’d have a point. But if positive bits have been sprinkled in would it make it better?

Honestly, I'm not sure why I'm on this forum - unless you say it is the best car ever, a lot of people on this forum assume you hate Acura. Truth be told I still have my old acura and still love it. It was an incredible bang for the buck when I bought it and aside from the transmission which was replaced under warranty I think it is very well built. If I said it needed more horse power or it has to have showing tailpipes I might get away with being on this forum but all other acura weaknesses and or flaws are taboo for some reason. Truth be told I don't care about either of those so I'm part of the lunatic fringe.
(Internet) age old story. If one has a dissenting view the burden of “proof” is on the dissenter. So, in the interest of levity…

Self appointed forum protectors/mediators everywhere (Mac vs PC, Crossfit vs Everything Else, Mustang vs Camaro, etc, etc)

True believers in every forum answer this question without hesitation, "yes".

To round it all out, this is one of my favorite angles of the new TLX:
Old 07-18-2014, 11:52 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
I think what we'll find when we actually get our hands on the car is that the I4 is a better TSX and the V6 is a better TL.

It looks like the options and pricing of the I4 was meant to target TSX buyers and same for the V6 and TL buyers. By collapsing the two cars onto one platform they save on costs and actually sell some trims at a lower cost than the cars they somewhat replaced. It was actually a pretty smart strategy. About the biggest thing people can find fault with it on here (and lets face it there are a lot of critics here) are fairly superficial things if you think about them.
Old 07-19-2014, 03:42 AM
Racer

Was the 3G TL's design really applauded by enthusiasts and the press before it went on sale? I vaguely remember the reception was lukewarm at best (same with the 1G TSX). Boring, bland, anonymous are the words I remember hearing. Now, it seems everyone praise these designs.

I think the 4G was a failure compared to its predecessor and the competition. And I think it is a pretty general consensus. But what you described with the TL fanboys is a situation completely different from what we have here. Here, with the TLX, the car is not out yet. You cannot put in the same basket people being enthusiastic about the yet-to-be-released TLX and people denying what has arguably been a general consensus.

Last edited by dysonlu; 07-19-2014 at 03:48 AM.
Old 07-19-2014, 04:02 AM
Racer

I like being contrarian and I like people being contrarian. I'm all for different opinions but you gotta convince me with solid arguments. In this case, if you say it's gonna be a failure because it doesn't offer a 6MT or that there's no visible exhaust pipes or that the styling is too conservative, these are not solid arguments to me. If you say YOU hate this car because of the above-mentionned points, then fine. But these aspects are far from being a deal breaker for most car shoppers out there.
Old 07-19-2014, 05:37 AM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
To me it all comes down to the reviews and the obvious personal test drive.

On paper, it got this guy who was only interested in an A3, 3 Series, A4, IS or ATS very interested due to the feature content, fuel economy and P-AWS. The feature content and pricing appears to be right in that "sweet spot" that made my head turn.

The only question is how it drives compared to the Germans and Cadillac. It's already disadvantaged due to the FWD layout and lack of 50/50 weight distribution. It's all about how P-AWS can help make it "true sport sedan caliber" and how well the 8-speed works with the the 4 cylinder to pump out true sport sedan numbers. (Benchmark: 320i)

Reviews for the RLX have been "surprisingly nimble for a car this size." Considering the TLX is smaller, lighter, and they're marketing the heck out of it being sporty, I expect "surprisingly comparable to a sport sedan costing thousands more due to the next generation P-AWS system."
Old 07-19-2014, 07:51 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by MtnMan
Measures of success are elusive. If volume were the only criterion of success for any given model many would fail miserably by some of the standards stated in this thread. The Bugatti Veyron only sold 47 units in 2013. Yet, Jeremy Clarkson declared the Veyron "the greatest car ever made and the greatest car we will ever see in our lifetime".

The only measure of success I have for the TLX is if I'd buy it. I already voted with my checkbook.
Agreed, but that is in your mind. Only Acura can determine if the car is a success based on their internal goals and projections.
Old 07-19-2014, 08:31 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 159 Likes on 100 Posts
It will be a BIG success, I am already looking forward to what the MMY refresh will bring....Advance package on 4 cylinder? Turbo 4? Exposed exhaust tips? Type S? Manual transmission?

I am looking forward to possibly seeing at least some of these things being added. I also want to wait till MMY update to see how new transmissions hold up and long term reliability of Honda's DI motors.
Old 07-19-2014, 09:39 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 115 Posts
Better than the ILX launch!
Old 07-19-2014, 11:30 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by MtnMan
Its not about the RAW volume number but how it compares with its preceding model & the market place in general.

When you create an all new model then lose 50% of the prior cars sales, additionally going from 1st in sales to the near bottom of the segment its an unqualified failure.

I think the new car will be a success (increased sales/out of the cellar) but not recover the 1st in class status. IMHO those days are gone for Acura with too many attractive competitors coming into the segment since the 3G went out of production.
boe_d (07-20-2014)

Quick Reply: 2015 Acura TLX - Success or Fail?