2.4 TLX a total snooze compared to sports cars?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2021 | 11:23 PM
5th Gear

Question 2.4 TLX a total snooze compared to sports cars?

I've always owned sports cars (first a Miata, now an RX-8). When I was living in a warmer, suburban setting close to mountains roads and race tracks, owning a sports car was a no-brainer, but now I'm living in a downtown apartment somewhere colder and flatter and I'm having second thoughts.

From everything I've read, the 2.4L TLX is efficient, reliable, comfortable, and quiet. My RX-8 is none of those things. The 2.4L accelerates almost as fast as my RX-8, so that's not a concern, but I know I would miss my car's balanced handling and talkative steering.

If you've driven the 2.4L TLX and also more fun and responsive cars, I want to hear your opinion. Would you say that the TLX is a car that enjoys winding roads or does it merely tolerate them? And to qualify your opinion: what experience do you have in other cars?
Old 02-27-2021 | 12:43 AM
Safety Car

As the owner of a TLX 2.4, I will say that while it’s more dynamic than an Accord, it’s not a sports sedan, much less a sports car. The steering is nicely weighted, sharp, and somewhat communicative, the DCT is fantastic, and the K24 motor sounds great, but there’s still a lot of body roll, and the power while adequate as a daily driver is inadequate as a fun car thanks to the weight. If you drive this car spiritedly, you’ll find that it’s a momentum car that unfortunately weighs too much and has too soft of a suspension to play that role well. The lack of an LSD makes it difficult to put power down coming out of corners, which truly is a bummer because the transmission does a great job of allowing you to be in the right gear for corner exits.
The following users liked this post:
Trev Limiter (03-01-2021)
Old 02-27-2021 | 01:56 PM
Advanced

I own a 2019 TLX A-Spec 2.4 now and had a 2013 BMW 328 with a 4 cylinder turbo as the most sporty car I had before that.

Bone stock, the TLX is every bit as quiet and comfortable as the BMW. The TLX's body roll is really terrible though and that takes the fun away on twisty roads.

However, I added Eibach shocks and installed 20" wheels with beefier tires. The car now drives more sporty with less body roll and more grip all around.
Trev Limiter (03-01-2021)
Old 02-28-2021 | 03:40 PM
Racer

The TLX 2.4 is fun to drive if you keep it in Sport mode.

When you can give it a test drive and tell us what you think.
Old 02-28-2021 | 09:12 PM
Racer

Here's a good video review from long ago of the TLX 2.4....

Trev Limiter (03-02-2021)
Old 02-28-2021 | 09:35 PM
5th Gear

@fiatlux Spoken like a fellow racing driver. This is exactly the kind of insight I was hoping for. Thanks! I like momentum cars. Find a twisty enough road and any car can feel fast. I'm glad to hear you heap praise on the transmission. Everything else being equal, I prefer a manual, but I think I could learn to like a good DCT. I didn't mind the body roll in my old Miata, but the TLX is probably worse than that. Then again, if Car and Driver magazine loves the Accord and if the TLX handles at least as well, it can't be that bad. I don't know how much the lack of an LSD would bother me. The only cars I've ever driven hard either had LSDs or had no power. I'd have to be patient with the throttle coming out of tight turns, but that would be the case in high-horsepower sports car too.

@chums Twenty-inch wheels? Wow. While I'm not a fan of the spoke design on the 2.4 TLXs, I like that the wheels are only 17". They match the more restrained styling of the 2015-2017 TLX and the 55-series tires look fat enough to protect the wheels from curb rash. I miss the way I could safely feel for the curb when parallel parking my Miata. I would eventually invest in better tires though, and maybe a bigger rear sway bar to reduce understeer, since that's an easy job. I replaced the worn out original shocks on my Miata with adjustable Konis and the difference night and day, but installing them took all weekend and was a huge pain. One of the reasons I'm considering a TLX is because a want a car that's trouble-free.

Thanks, @benjaminh . It could be a while before I drive one though. I'm looking to buy used and any purchase would probably be more than a month away. I feel bad wasting someone's time on a test drive if I have no intention of buying from them.
benjaminh (02-28-2021)
Old 02-28-2021 | 09:44 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Trev Limiter
@fiatlux Spoken like a fellow racing driver. This is exactly the kind of insight I was hoping for. Thanks! I like momentum cars. Find a twisty enough road and any car can feel fast. I'm glad to hear you heap praise on the transmission. Everything else being equal, I prefer a manual, but I think I could learn to like a good DCT. I didn't mind the body roll in my old Miata, but the TLX is probably worse than that. Then again, if Car and Driver magazine loves the Accord and if the TLX handles at least as well, it can't be that bad. I don't know how much the lack of an LSD would bother me. The only cars I've ever driven hard either had LSDs or had no power. I'd have to be patient with the throttle coming out of tight turns, but that would be the case in high-horsepower sports car too.

@chums Twenty-inch wheels? Wow. While I'm not a fan of the spoke design on the 2.4 TLXs, I like that the wheels are only 17". They match the more restrained styling of the 2015-2017 TLX and the 55-series tires look fat enough to protect the wheels from curb rash. I miss the way I could safely feel for the curb when parallel parking my Miata. I would eventually invest in better tires though, and maybe a bigger rear sway bar to reduce understeer, since that's an easy job. I replaced the worn out original shocks on my Miata with adjustable Konis and the difference night and day, but installing them took all weekend and was a huge pain. One of the reasons I'm considering a TLX is because a want a car that's trouble-free.

Thanks, @benjaminh . It could be a while before I drive one though. I'm looking to buy used and any purchase would probably be more than a month away. I feel bad wasting someone's time on a test drive if I have no intention of buying from them.
One point of clarification; when I say it handles better than an Accord, I mean the 9G Accord it's based on. Compared to the current 10G Accord...I can't say because I haven't gotten enough seat time in one of those in the twisties.

I may be the only person on the planet to take one of these to the track, so if you're interested in my impression: https://acurazine.com/forums/first-g...-track-989988/
Trev Limiter (03-02-2021)
Old 03-02-2021 | 01:28 AM
5th Gear

@benjaminh Yes! By now I feel like I've read and watched every quality review out there and that one you shared is the one that got me most excited.

@fiatlux Good point. Maybe the new Accord does handle better. I love your track review! As expected, the TLX is out of its element at Laguna Seca, but I was pleasantly surprised to read that it keeps its composure during autocross. If I got one, I would definitely autocross it at least once. No better way to safely get a feel for a car's limits.
Old 03-02-2021 | 06:31 PM
Racer

The TLX 2.4 definitely handles better than the Accord—even the new generation. Part of the reason for this is the rather exclusive Precision All-Wheel Steering (PAWS). Many reviewers say you can't really feel this system, but I could feel it the first time I took the TLX into a turn. The TLX also has bigger disc brakes than the Accord. The new Accord has a standard 1.5 turbo that's pretty good, but I prefer the more linear feel and sound on the Acura 2.4. This 2.4 is not quite the same as the 2.4 that was found in the last generation of Accord. The TLX 2.4 has dual exhaust, a higher compression ratio, and a dual stage intake manifold, and a few other things to get to 206 hp on premium fuel.

The Accord has had since 2013 a good enough CVT, but the TLX as you know has an 8-speed dual clutch transmission with a torque converter and paddle shifters.

Back in 2014 Acura released an extremely detailed press kit for the new TLX:

https://hondanews.com/en-US/releases...a-tlx-overview

The TLX got a significant update for the 2018 model year, and also got a new press kit for that version:

https://hondanews.com/en-US/releases...a-tlx-overview

One of the significant things about the update is that starting in 2018 the TLX is compatible with AndroidAuto and CarPlay, both of which are good for navigation.

The TLX 2.4 is a good value both new and used. I leased my new 2018 TLX Tech for significantly less than an Accord EXL. And in terms of used, it looks like you can get a TLX for only slightly more than an Accord of the same year with the same miles.

The Tech model has the ELS sound system that is really nice. But the standard Acura stereo is okay. The base model has vinyl, which of course will last probably for the life of the car, while the Tech has that nice premium Milano leather, but it's possible that after 10-12 years or so that leather will start to fall apart.

PS I've gotten as high as 38 mpg on the highway going c. 70 mph.

Last edited by benjaminh; 03-02-2021 at 06:36 PM.
Old 03-06-2021 | 11:47 PM
Intermediate

I've always owned sports cars (first a Miata, now an RX-8). When I was living in a warmer, suburban setting close to mountains roads and race tracks, owning a sports car was a no-brainer, but now I'm living in a downtown apartment somewhere colder and flatter and I'm having second thoughts.

From everything I've read, the 2.4L TLX is efficient, reliable, comfortable, and quiet. My RX-8 is none of those things. The 2.4L accelerates almost as fast as my RX-8, so that's not a concern, but I know I would miss my car's balanced handling and talkative steering.

If you've driven the 2.4L TLX and also more fun and responsive cars, I want to hear your opinion. Would you say that the TLX is a car that enjoys winding roads or does it merely tolerate them? And to qualify your opinion: what experience do you have in other cars?
I agree with most of the other comments, except that there is a lot of body roll. Perhaps compared to pure sport sedans there is more, but not compared to consumer sedans like the Accord, Camry, Altima, etc.... so I guess it's a bit of a matter of perspective... I feel my 2.4 corners pretty flat unless you really are pushing the limits of speed. However, I test drove about 11 different sedans in 2016 (Camry, Accord (4 and 6 cyl), Avalon, Jetta, Passat, Mazda 6, Altima, Maxima, TLX V6 FWD, 2012 ES350, 2014 ES350) and none of them handled better than the 2.4... the Mazda 6 was about equal. That being said, I'm sure cars like Audi A4, 2-3 Series, G70 etc. will handle better if for no other reason than they all have larger, lower profile tires (and most of them are RWD/or RWD bias AWD). The 2.4 (non Aspec) used 225/55 R17s tires which by today's standard are quite tall for a sedan. Most of the current competition use 45s,40s, even 35 profile tires. While this makes the 2.4 not a pure handler at the limits, it does give it an very refined, very quiet ride (not to mention pretty much pothole flat tire proof). Of all the cars I drove, the TLX was the quietest, even quieter than the ES350 to my ears. It was also the most fun to drive, making it an easy buying decision at the time.

As for the PAWS 4 wheel steering, I don't think it's something you "feel" or "detect" but rather really helps keep the car level, especially at low to mid level speeds.

As for acceleration.. it's just OK... certainly cannot touch any of the new 2.0 turbos out there, particularly in regards to low-end torque. This is the only part of the car I find a bit lacking.

Bottom line, you want to drive fast and aggressively and push a car to it's limits, the 2.4L is probably not the car for you, but if you like a refined quiet (and likely reliable) ride that still can be fun to drive in most situations, the 2.4 a nice mixture of many positive traits.
benjaminh (03-07-2021)
Old 03-08-2021 | 11:39 AM
Adept Acura Enthusiast

If you think it's a snooze then you should consider 3.5L version that's what I did when i knew 2.4L wouldn't be enough for me
Old 03-08-2021 | 05:20 PM
1st Gear

If you want a sports car then get one. however, I have put lowering springs and an exhaust on my 2.4 to give it a more "sporty" feel. I love the modifications, but it still is not a sports car. Its great for a fun daily driver tho. I enjoy it every time i get behind the wheel. if you want a decently quick car thats fun to tear up backroads, the 2.4 won't disappoint. I was thinking about trading it in for the type-s when it comes out... but honestly I'd rather be in hell with my back broke than give up this car.
Old 03-08-2021 | 05:39 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bad-habibi
If you want a sports car then get one. however, I have put lowering springs and an exhaust on my 2.4 to give it a more "sporty" feel. I love the modifications, but it still is not a sports car. Its great for a fun daily driver tho. I enjoy it every time i get behind the wheel. if you want a decently quick car thats fun to tear up backroads, the 2.4 won't disappoint. I was thinking about trading it in for the type-s when it comes out... but honestly I'd rather be in hell with my back broke than give up this car.
agree... the 2.4 is a great engine but does not have the pure power... how much difference did the lowering springs make in the ride smoothness / road noise (if any)?
Old 03-09-2021 | 01:43 PM
Advanced

You have probably identified the things lacking in the TLX compared to your Miata and RX-8 - communicative steering/feedback and balanced handling. Have owned a Miata since 2003, traded in my NB for an NC Club edition in 2013. Traded in a 2013 BMW 128i on our TLX V6 A-Spec SHAWD (giving a full description on a TLX is like ordering a coffee from Starbucks). The Miata’s and BMW had hydraulic steering so they provided better steering feel and feedback than the TLX and it’s electric steering. The Miata’s being significantly better than the BMW though, with weight likely playing a big part. I must admit that the 128i handled aggressive corners (it had the BMW sport suspension) almost as well as my current Miata. The TLX is much less confidence inspiring on those same roads. I am sure tires play a role in that, but it is also much harder to tell what the TLX’s rear end is doing. The TLX is a great daily driver and eats highway miles with comfort and ease. But on my next trip to the Tail of the Dragon I will leave the Acura at home.
Old 03-09-2021 | 04:48 PM
5th Gear

Wow, I missed a lot of activity! I went several days without getting any emails from AcuraZine, so I had assumed this thread went dark. Thanks for your responses, everyone. Lots to catch up on now....

@benjaminh Yes, I'm curious to experience the P-AWS for myself since reviewers seem split on whether it makes a noticeable difference. I agree, I much prefer naturally aspirated engines. Thanks for the 2015 press release. That's even more detailed than another one I had bookmarked earlier! I would buy a 2015-2017 TLX because I don't like the electronic driving aids that are standard on the newer TLX, and I prefer the more reserved styling of the earlier cars, which I think will age better. Of course, the earlier TLX is cheaper too. It looks like I could get one with 50,000 miles for $15,000.

@ohcello Great summary -- thank you! I've driven and enjoyed the Mazda6. It's not a sports car, of course, but it still makes me want to detour to find fun roads. That's the minimum requirement for the fun-to-drive quotient in my next car. If I could have that same handling in a more luxurious package, that might do it. As a racer, I know what a big difference tires can make. I would definitely be looking to upgrade to a stickier set of all-season rubber. That said, I might keep the tall sidewalls. They provide a more comfortable ride, like you said, and I think they would provide some protection against curb rash. Do you still have the original size tires on your car? If you touch a curb when parallel parking, is it just your tire that makes contact, or the wheel too?

@Chargersix My Miata was an NB, and I've driven NCs a few times. That's for comparing the TLX to something familiar. I'm jealous that you have two cars! That's what I might do if I had free parking. If you could have only one car, what would it be: the Miata, the TLX, something else...?

Last edited by Trev Limiter; 03-09-2021 at 04:57 PM.
Old 03-09-2021 | 05:18 PM
Intermediate

I've driven and enjoyed the Mazda6. It's not a sports car, of course, but it still makes me want to detour to find fun roads. That's the minimum requirement for the fun-to-drive quotient in my next car. If I could have that same handling in a more luxurious package, that might do it. As a racer, I know what a big difference tires can make. I would definitely be looking to upgrade to a stickier set of all-season rubber. That said, I might keep the tall sidewalls. They provide a more comfortable ride, like you said, and I think they would provide some protection against curb rash. Do you still have the original size tires on your car? If you touch a curb when parallel parking, is it just your tire that makes contact, or the wheel too?
I have no wheel rash so I'm pretty sure it's only tire... . Yes, I still have the original tires on my 2016 2.4. I only have 33K miles (thanks COVID) with a bit of tread left.

As for the Mazda 6, I would definitely test drive the Grand Touring Reserve or Signature version as they have the 2.5 Turbo with 310 ft-lbs of torque and 225HP-250HP (depending on octane). If this version of the Mazda existed in 2016, I might have chosen it over the TLX. I just drove a Mazda 3 Sedan last year with the NA engine and the power was similar to the 2.4 TLX, but the noteworthy part was how quiet it was. It felt like a mini 2.4 TLX in terms of refinement... not quite but very close; and I think when the Mazda 6 was re-designed in 2018 they added Acoustic Glass and other sound-dampening measures. My point is that if the Mazda 6 2.5T drives like a slightly larger, heavier version of the Mazda 3 I drove, then you get similar refinement to the TLX as well as a large low-end torque band with that 2.5T engine, plus Mazda's well-renowned handling (for FWD car anyways). I think you can get a good deal of a 2018 or 2019 Mazda 6 Grand Touring Reserve. I would drive that against a CPO 2.4 TLX and maybe a 3.5 TLX as well for good measure.

Old 03-09-2021 | 05:42 PM
Advanced

Trev Limiter, good question. Before answering I must add that I am 64 and have been fully retired for two years now. But I bought the 128i as my daily driver when I was working and it would be a great compromise between the NC and the TLX. I bought the 2013 BMW 128i because I wanted to own a BMW with their iconic inline six and I wanted it naturally aspirated. I would have preferred a manual, but this one popped up with great options and a great price coming off a lease. I really enjoyed it, but I was retiring and having owned a few German vehicles over the years, I was fearful of long term repair costs. So if I was limited to one car though, I would have been very happy with the 128i - and I am sure I could have a blast with it driving The Dragon. I would imagine a BMW 2 series would be a good alternative.
Old 03-11-2021 | 03:02 PM
5th Gear

@ohcello Thanks! It looks like the 2018 Mazda6 Grand Touring Reserve is a few thousand dollars more expensive than a 2015-2017 TLX 2.4. You're right, the new reviews say the refreshed Mazda6 is much quieter. Despite having an extra 44 hp (and 128 lb-ft!) over the TLX, it's only about a half second quicker in rolling acceleration tests. I prefer the more linear and climactic power delivery of a free-revving naturally aspirated engine, so I think I would prefer the TLX. I might take a closer look this fall after getting in one more racing season with my RX-8. We'll see.

@Chargersix I've looked at the 128i before for the same reasons you mention! Interestingly, many reviews compare the 128i to the RX-8. If it had a limited slip differential it would be almost perfect as a modern take on an old-school BMW. I think it would be more comfortable (for front seat passengers) and economical than my RX-8, but not by leaps and bounds like the Acura. The price difference over my RX-8 would cost me at least $2,000 upfront. At that point it's kind of a wash, economically. It might be worth a test drive, but I think I'd rather keep my RX-8 for its better handling and more exotic engine. I know I'm going to miss that 9,000+ rpm fuel cutoff
Old 03-11-2021 | 03:25 PM
Intermediate

@ohcello Thanks! It looks like the 2018 Mazda6 Grand Touring Reserve is a few thousand dollars more expensive than a 2015-2017 TLX 2.4. You're right, the new reviews say the refreshed Mazda6 is much quieter. Despite having an extra 44 hp (and 128 lb-ft!) over the TLX, it's only about a half second quicker in rolling acceleration tests. I prefer the more linear and climactic power delivery of a free-revving naturally aspirated engine, so I think I would prefer the TLX. I might take a closer look this fall after getting in one more racing season with my RX-8. We'll see.
I hear you. I'm the exact opposite in that I don't like going into the higher revs very much as I feel like I'm adding to the wear of the car (which of course is not true). 95% of the time I'm below 4k RPM and usually below 3k RPM, so I'm thinking the Mazda 6 might fit my driving style better as it's geared and engineered for low end power (while fading a bit at the top end). I think where the Mazda 6 really shines is passing power and getting more power without downshifting so often.

I also want to see more data on the new TLX FWD. I know the SH-AWD is the one everyone is reviewing, but I wonder if the base model would be significantly quicker with the lower weight without AWD.

Anyway, good luck in your search!
Old 03-11-2021 | 03:53 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by ohcello
I hear you. I'm the exact opposite in that I don't like going into the higher revs very much as I feel like I'm adding to the wear of the car (which of course is not true). 95% of the time I'm below 4k RPM and usually below 3k RPM, so I'm thinking the Mazda 6 might fit my driving style better as it's geared and engineered for low end power (while fading a bit at the top end). I think where the Mazda 6 really shines is passing power and getting more power without downshifting so often.

I also want to see more data on the new TLX FWD. I know the SH-AWD is the one everyone is reviewing, but I wonder if the base model would be significantly quicker with the lower weight without AWD.

Anyway, good luck in your search!
Looks like you are leaning towards the Mazda 6, which should be a very good driver’s sedan. Have owned seven Mazda’s thus far and none have disappointed. If you do look at the TLX do not pass on the SH-AWD because the FWD is a few tenths a second quicker to 60. Have owned quite a few FWD cars from various automakers, to include Honda and Mazda, and the SH-AWD is superior in all conditions. Give both versions a test drive. And if you like low end torque make sure you try the V6.
Old 03-11-2021 | 04:23 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Chargersix
Looks like you are leaning towards the Mazda 6, which should be a very good driver’s sedan. Have owned seven Mazda’s thus far and none have disappointed. If you do look at the TLX do not pass on the SH-AWD because the FWD is a few tenths a second quicker to 60. Have owned quite a few FWD cars from various automakers, to include Honda and Mazda, and the SH-AWD is superior in all conditions. Give both versions a test drive. And if you like low end torque make sure you try the V6.
Yeah my friend got a Mazda 3 sedan last year and I was shocked how refined and quiet it was for only like $22k. It really did feel like a mini 2.4 TLX in it's steering and ride quality. I might even give the CX-5 a look down the line as well.

As for the TLX FWD vs. SH-AWD...I agree it would not be worth it if only for a few tenths of a second, however the FWD can be as much as 319lbs lighter then the Loaded SH-AWD, which is quite a bit and might result in a major difference in how the car feels in everyday driving. I have driven SH-AWD versions before and you certainly feel the benefits when accelerating fast through a turn and if you floor it from a standstill of course.
Old 03-12-2021 | 05:47 AM
Racer

I know some people don't particularly care for the youtube auto advice guy Scotty Kilmer, but here's a video he released yesterday that's relevant to the TLX 2.4. In the video he says that turbo engines, because of their high pressure and complication, simply won't last as long as naturally-aspirated engines. He's especially critical of Honda's 1.5 turbo found in the Civic, CR-V, and Accord. Scotty guesses that Honda's 1.5T might only last c. 160,000-180,000 miles, which doesn't sound too bad, except that past Honda engines have often lasted to 300,000 miles—and sometimes even more. In this same video, Kilmer praises Honda's 2.4 direct injection engine found in the 2013-2017 Accord, and guesses that this is an engine that with good maintenance will make it to 300k—and maybe even to 400k. The Acura 2.4 in the TLX is basically a slightly more powerful and fancy version of the 2.4 found in the previous Accord, and so it should have similar reliability. Scotty emphasizes the importance of Top Tier gas and regular oil changes with full synthetic oil.

Anyway, I've had my 2018 TLX 2.4 Tech for almost three years, and as my lease comes to an end on the second of July I'm leaning toward buying it out for the residual of $18,500—since I don't see how I could get a better car for that amount of money. Currently I have about 35,000 miles on the car, and so I've been driving slightly more than 12k a year. In the future, I'm thinking I might want to take more road trips, visiting some cities, museums, and National Parks that are on my bucket list, and maybe even driving across the country at some point. If I do that I could well drive about 20k miles a year. If I buy out the car and end up owning it for about 10 years that would put me at about 200,000 miles by the end of it. If Kilmer is right, well then the 2.4 with good maintenance and bit of luck might well last that long.

Last edited by benjaminh; 03-12-2021 at 05:57 AM.
Old 03-12-2021 | 07:32 AM
Racer

Here are the short videos Acura made way back when the TLX was first introduced to promote PAWS, the combo of the 8-speed DCT with the 2.4 engine, and the engineering to reduce NVH....Yeah, it's promo fluff, but the car is pretty good in all three of these areas.

Old 03-12-2021 | 07:40 AM
Intermediate

Yeah it makes sense about turbos vs. NA engines and longevity. If I thought/wanted to keep a car for that many miles (180K or more), it would be a consideration for sure.... but really it's not. I usually keep a car about 5-10 years tops and put about 90K miles on it at the most. By then I want something else.
Old 03-12-2021 | 08:19 AM
Racer

Yeah, in the past I've rarely kept my cars that I bought new for more than c. 8 years and c. 90,000 miles. When I was younger I used to drive used cars, and my old 1987 VW Jetta and 1998 Oldsmobile 98 got to be real nightmares for repair and maintenance when they got over 10 years and 100k miles. But I'm guessing that a TLX that's well maintained might just glide past 100k without much more than some new spark plugs.

Here's another video from when the TLX was first introduced about the different grades of steel it has....