Do I really need TPMS for winter rim's?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 06:04 PM
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 7 Posts
Do I really need TPMS for winter rim's?

Was wondering if it's really necessary to have tpms on my winter rim's. I drive the sh-awd 2010 and the dealership says it's very important because track control wont work...can anyone tell me why I should invest an other 250$ total for TPMS and if their any consequence?
Old 11-10-2010, 11:12 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am not familiar with the traction control issue and don't really buy it. The only thing that would drive me crazy would be the warning orange light staying on the dash.

I've seen tpms on the bay for less than $100 for all 4. You just have to keep checking but they do come up.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:57 AM
Drifting

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts
Yea, the traction control thing sounds like BS, but I wouldn't drive without them. First, you'll get an alert and always have an orange light on your dash (would drive me nuts), and then also, you'll need to keep a close eye on your tire pressure. For $100, I personally don't think the savings are enough for the downsides.
Old 11-11-2010, 11:00 AM
The Sicilian

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
I did not order them when I got my winter tires & wheels. Last winter was the first winter and had no issues with the car.
Yes the light is a pain, but I can live with it.
And I don't see how it has anything to do with the traction control.
Old 11-11-2010, 11:42 AM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
TPMS does affect VSA, but not as the dealer described.

If the TPMS detects a low pressure situation (Check Tire Pressure message) or the TPMS malfunctions (Check TPMS System messge), VSA and Traction Control is turned on, and you cannot turn it off even if you press the VSA button off. This is a safety related issue with one or more tires not acting the same as the others, the logic is to ensure VSA and Traction Control are on to help prevent roll overs, etc.

This is all in the manual.

We know that driving with varying tire or wheel sizes may cause the VSA to malfunction, but a low pressure tire situation is different.

The manual cautions when replacing tires, including winter tires, make sure they are the same size (i.e., rolling diameter) and type (i.e., load rating and speed rating) as your original tires. If you install winter tires, make sure they are the same size (i.e., rolling diameter) as those that were originally supplied with your vehicle.

Parenthetically, this turning on the VSA and Traction Control is a lot better logic than the Toyotas I have owned in the past. When the check engine light came on because of you forgot to tighten the gas cap all the way, the traction control and VSA would be turned off automatically. On the other hand, short of turning those systems off manually, it was the only time you could waste your tires and lay down some rubber on the road...
Old 11-11-2010, 11:53 AM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
By the way, I think you can get TPMS sensors for about $120 for 4 from places like the Tire Rack, and of course, they are not the cheapest on everything.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:54 PM
Advanced

Very helpful guys...Following your advice, I went out an purchased 4 TPMS for Acura tl 2010 for only 95$ including shipping on ebay!!! What a bargain compare to the dealer who was charging 63$ each. They are like new coming from a demo car...I hope I don't need to have this installed and programmed at the dealer...They say they are the only one's who can do this....My local tire warehouse (FCP Wheels) says they can do it also...You guys think it's necessary to get this done at Acura?
Old 11-12-2010, 04:23 PM
Cruisin'

Just put TPMS on my SH-AWD with 17" rims and Blizzaks. Drove about 1/2 mile at 30 MPH and they automatically programed. The dash display reads like it should and the pressures change from cold and low in the morning to hotter and higher latter in the day or after driving a few miles. No programing just drive.
Old 11-13-2010, 10:38 AM
Drifting

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by bazoulay
Very helpful guys...Following your advice, I went out an purchased 4 TPMS for Acura tl 2010 for only 95$ including shipping on ebay!!! What a bargain compare to the dealer who was charging 63$ each. They are like new coming from a demo car...I hope I don't need to have this installed and programmed at the dealer...They say they are the only one's who can do this....My local tire warehouse (FCP Wheels) says they can do it also...You guys think it's necessary to get this done at Acura?
Total scam, just get them installed and put them on your wheels, they'll link up in a couple minutes.
Old 11-13-2010, 01:34 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
WOW! This is good information - thanks! As I am ordering my tires/wheels from Tire Rack now (not arriving due to the wheels not immediately available), they are charging $168 for a set of TPMS there!

Can I easily install the TPMS myself? If so, perhaps I can cancel that TPMS order there, get them much more cheaply on eBay and then have them installed locally! What do you think?
Old 11-13-2010, 01:36 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
Originally Posted by Chas2
TPMS does affect VSA, but not as the dealer described.

The manual cautions when replacing tires, including winter tires, make sure they are the same size (i.e., rolling diameter) and type (i.e., load rating and speed rating) as your original tires. If you install winter tires, make sure they are the same size (i.e., rolling diameter) as those that were originally supplied with your vehicle.
Really? Even the winter tires need the same speed rating? How would that really affect the TPMS? Many good winter tires are not rated "performance", which is the rating of the OEM tires.
Old 11-13-2010, 03:59 PM
Advanced

Like I said, got them on ebay for 95$ and my local tire shop programs it for free if I by and install my tire and rims there...acura was charging 25$ each wheels...Wow, thanks for all the advice...You guys rock
Old 11-13-2010, 04:58 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by ostrich
WOW! This is good information - thanks! As I am ordering my tires/wheels from Tire Rack now (not arriving due to the wheels not immediately available), they are charging $168 for a set of TPMS there!

Can I easily install the TPMS myself? If so, perhaps I can cancel that TPMS order there, get them much more cheaply on eBay and then have them installed locally! What do you think?
If they come from the tire rack, the tires will be mounted, balanced, and inflated. To install TPMS you will have to have a shop breakdow the tire (demount it), put the TPMS in after pulling out the old valve stem, then rebalance etc. No savings to be had there.
Old 11-13-2010, 05:00 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by bazoulay
Like I said, got them on ebay for 95$ and my local tire shop programs it for free if I by and install my tire and rims there...acura was charging 25$ each wheels...Wow, thanks for all the advice...You guys rock

I am sure they will program for free, because all it takes is to install them in the wheel and thell you to drive. MY shop (bought tires only) installed the TPMS for free, in rims I bought off Ebay. It takes about 3 minutes per wheel to install TPMS.
Old 11-14-2010, 09:54 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
isnt it just a nut you have to tighten down or is there something else that you have to do as well?
Old 11-14-2010, 06:16 PM
Cruisin'

take out old stem, put TPMS from inside the rim up through the valve stem hole, put nut on valve stem from outside the rim and tighten.