Camber question

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2016, 09:20 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Camber question

Newbie to the group and the modification experience.

I have a 2010 TL AWD that I decided to have some fun with after 2 years... Among other mods, I decided to work on the suspension. Talked with a local shop and decided to go with the Tein SS Advanced coil overs. Before we began, I asked about the amount we would be lowering the car and if the camber would be able to be brought within spec. Initial response was yes...

I picked up the car today. The Tein setup instructions reccomended a lower height than I expected and as a result the rear camber is out is spec 1.0 to 1.5 degrees negative. The car feels really good - seems to track well, less roll, and doesn't want to push out as much as it used to.

I'm worried that this is a problem... Obviously, tire wear is affected. The car felt good after one day of driving, but are there potential handling issues to worry about? I guess I could stay with what I have, raise the car some, or find a camber kit.

I've done some research, but it is confusing.... Any advice is much appreciated.

Also did an ATLP resonated exhaust with RV6 j-pipe. Sounds really nice... We have Gram lights wheels on order, too...

Thanks!
Old 03-17-2016, 09:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
You can buy a rear camber kit that has adjustable arms so you can get the camber back in spec. -1.2 degrees is the max I personally would go on a daily driver. Make sure that the TOE is set to zero!
Old 03-17-2016, 11:01 PM
8th Gear

Thanks... the toe was pretty close to zero,but I expect that will change if we adjust camber, so the 3 arm kits seem to be the right thing to do. I've seen the Ingalls and SPC mentioned here... Any reason to with one or the other?
Old 03-17-2016, 11:44 PM
The Original Shawdy

Received 427 Likes on 349 Posts
SPC is easier to install and adjust. I have the Ingalls rear and it works good but SPC is what I would run if I did it again.
Old 03-22-2016, 01:37 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 325 Likes on 214 Posts
I had to correct camber on my TL that was only a little out of spec and opted to just get a single arm from the 3-arm kit (the lower arm). Saved me a ton of money over buying the entire 3-arm kit and the shop was able to get my specs back within factory spec.
Old 03-22-2016, 03:22 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by wreak
I had to correct camber on my TL that was only a little out of spec and opted to just get a single arm from the 3-arm kit (the lower arm). Saved me a ton of money over buying the entire 3-arm kit and the shop was able to get my specs back within factory spec.
this was the suggestion from excelerate, I only bought the camber arm @ $77/ea x 2. Im not going real low and honestly considered whether i need anything, just didn't want to have to take it back in for another install/alignment with a camber kit if the mild drop put it out of spec.
Old 03-22-2016, 05:26 PM
8th Gear

I may also do the front kit... I've noticed a vibration that appears to be in the front end when I got up around 80 - not drivetrain related, from what I can tell.

I looked at the alignment data from the front and noticed that the right front camber is out, as well. I'm wondering if the ball joint is shot (or on it's way out). The car has just over 80K miles.
Old 04-13-2016, 09:19 AM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Booya4139
this was the suggestion from excelerate, I only bought the camber arm @ $77/ea x 2. Im not going real low and honestly considered whether i need anything, just didn't want to have to take it back in for another install/alignment with a camber kit if the mild drop put it out of spec.
Last year I bought the SS Advanced coil over kit, new rims and new Nitto Invo tires.
I had my summer wheels and tires put back on about a month ago for the upcoming summer season. I noticed a little vibration at 70mph so I took it back to the tire shop to have the wheels rebalanced. I figured that was the problem. He brought me out to the bay and showed me the tire wear in the inside of the tires... WOW!! Told me he could not work on them due to the excessive wear. Needless to say I purchased the 2 single rear camber arms yesterday to correct the problem and will be purchasing a new set of tires next week.
By the way I had the coilovers set to the highest setting..
Old 04-14-2016, 12:00 AM
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I've got the SPC camber arm only, considering going to the 3 arm setup this summer though. I run my car fairly low (tucking about 0.5-1" of tire in the rear) and I am maxing out the factory toe adjustment at -3.1* of camber or so (meaning if I run any less camber I can't get the toe back into spec). If you are only at -1.5* or so you should be fine with the single arm, but you might need more adjustment if you plan on going lower.

I should also point out that with a perfect alignment my tire wear is still horrendous haha. I've pretty much got a full set of tires down to about 1-2/32" or so on both outer edges in about 6 months, even after flipping them part way through the summer.
Old 05-11-2016, 09:43 AM
Advanced

I decided to go with the 3 arm kit after I purchase the 2 SPC rear control arms. Needless to say the return period for the 2 arms is up. Ill sell the for both for $100 shipped if anyone's interested. PM me
Old 05-11-2016, 02:55 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by chrissalvatore
I decided to go with the 3 arm kit after I purchase the 2 SPC rear control arms. Needless to say the return period for the 2 arms is up. Ill sell the for both for $100 shipped if anyone's interested. PM me
why did you decide on the 3 arm kit? im getting the Tein SA/camber arms installed tomorrow so too late to change my thinking now but curious
Old 05-28-2016, 03:14 PM
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts
i have H&R springs but am about ot get the Tein Street Advance kit.... i don't plan to have my wheels tucked..just to where there is zero gap or a finger gap... i like how my car looks now with just the H&R springs on stock shocks... even with that modest drop my rears are pretty cambered in....

would a simple camber kit work for me or will I need somethig more involved - this multi arm setup?

how much do these kits cost and are they easy to put in? i'm thinking of doing them at the same time i get my CO installed...
Old 06-02-2016, 11:59 AM
Advanced

Could not get the Camber 100% correct. I purchased the 6 piece kit from Amazon for around $200.00

Originally Posted by Booya4139
why did you decide on the 3 arm kit? im getting the Tein SA/camber arms installed tomorrow so too late to change my thinking now but curious