Some lady rear-ended 2011 Acura TL

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 08:08 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Some lady rear-ended 2011 Acura TL

hey guys, its just been a month since I own my new car and some girl rear ended this morning while I was going to work. Nothing visible damage happened to the car, however the licence plate was mashed up. do you think insurance will replace the entire bumper? I hope these girls keep some safe distance in snowy roads. The silver-lining is that it happened at red light else the impact would have been worse.
Old 01-20-2012, 08:10 AM

Received 16,263 Likes on 11,973 Posts
its up to you, on what you want to do.
did you call it in to your insurance?
did you get a police report?
Old 01-20-2012, 09:29 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by justnspace
did you call it in to your insurance?
No I did not get police report. Called my insurance and they said its no fault accident and would cover it completely. However I have a choice to file it through other party's insurance and see how much they cover. my insurance agent said that I should get complete coverage including rental. lets see how it goes.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:33 AM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
Sometimes the damage could be beneath the bumper.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:34 AM
Team Owner

Received 2,334 Likes on 1,962 Posts
Originally Posted by Treblig
Sometimes the damage could be beneath the bumper.

I had damage beneath my bumper on my civic. I was rear ended at a stop light dumb girl I went to school with was putting on make up.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:48 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,982 Likes on 14,493 Posts
I would peek under the bumper to see if the actual bumper support was damaged at all...if not, and it was just the plate, bend it straight or get a custom one made and replace it.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:00 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 846 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace
did you call it in to paypal?
Old 01-20-2012, 10:15 AM
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 20 Posts
claim on the girl's insurance if you have that info. Do not use your insurance.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:22 AM

Received 16,263 Likes on 11,973 Posts
Originally Posted by HEAVY_RL
I can always count on you.
butt seriously, you need to teach some of the guys in the 3G section not to be soo uptight.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:49 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 88 Posts
Dude I had someone tap my rear bumper and lone and behold the metal inside the bumper was bent. Total cost to his insurance was 1,000. I had the bumper completely replaced and it included a free rental all under his allstate insurance.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:21 AM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
Originally Posted by under9hell
claim on the girl's insurance if you have that info. Do not use your insurance.
^
Old 01-20-2012, 12:03 PM
Advanced

depending on the level of damage, you may or may not want to have it fixed. i believe replacing the bumper cover would probably trigger a carfax report, which would reduce the value of your car when it is time to trade it in. maybe as much as a couple thousand dollars. i would rather have a scratch that a little touch up paint can fix than an accident report on the carfax. at the least, you might ask the body shop if a bumper cover will trigger a carfax report.

just my two cents. good luck!!
Old 01-20-2012, 01:06 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,982 Likes on 14,493 Posts
Hey...I'm 3G and have a sense of humor!
Old 01-20-2012, 01:07 PM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
^^^ no carfax is only triggered with a police report.....no cops, no report, no carfax (been there)

about the insurance, since its NOT YOUR FAULT....you have 2 ways to go about getting your car fixed:

1> get a quote, pay your deductible, get ur car fixed, receive your deductible back in a check from your insurance company (when they deal with the lady's insurance company, they will get that money for you)

2> get a quote, give it to your insurance, they will get you a check for that value, get your car fixed...

so either way your not paying anything from your wallet....your insurance will NOT go higher either....
Old 01-20-2012, 11:37 PM
Instructor

he could just call the girl's insurance company and have them repair + get a free loaner. It's unnecessary to have his insurance company involved.
I heard from friends that insurance companies do keep your accident record even when it's not your fault, it could be a myth though.. To be safe, just don't let them know.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:45 PM

^^^ Yes there will be a carfax report even its not your fault....the point is WERE the cops involved and was there a police report

my ex girl was trying to get out of the car in a parking lot spot....she opens the door and puts he leg out (in process of getting out) and this high school kid (driving his dads car) comes flying into neighboring spot hitting my open door....

my girl was shocked, the high school kid was shocked, i was like "WTF my baby" (PS baby = car LOL)....luckily the only damage was the lower edge of my door was bend a little bit, door closed and everything was fine....the guys was like my bad and please dont call the cops and all that jazz....i took down his license plate and drivers license number.....didnt take his insurance info down (1st accident ever so didnt know WTF was going on)....and his cell/dads cell/home number....

called my insurance company gave them the details....got a quote and my insurance company reimbursed me for that (minus deductible).....my insurance didnt go up and neither did this show up on my carfax....

the guy got lucky as my insurance send them couple mails and called em but non responsive....i got an email 3 weeks back (accident happened in Jan 2008) saying we are closing the case as we have tried a lot to cover the cost but are not able to LOL....

/offtopic

yes, he could just talk to the girl's insurance company as well and get everything settled....
Old 01-21-2012, 08:27 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
Originally Posted by drive4show
depending on the level of damage, you may or may not want to have it fixed. i believe replacing the bumper cover would probably trigger a carfax report, which would reduce the value of your car when it is time to trade it in. maybe as much as a couple thousand dollars. i would rather have a scratch that a little touch up paint can fix than an accident report on the carfax. at the least, you might ask the body shop if a bumper cover will trigger a carfax report.

just my two cents. good luck!!
not all repair places (body shops) report to carfax (mine doesn't). that doesn't mean that the shop is horrible, it just means that they don't really care to report it since most cases that come in are handled through insurance.

so as swoosh said below...carfax will show police reported stuff (i believe). the insurance company may also report to carfax if the damage is OVER a certain amount (say $1000).

Originally Posted by swoosh
about the insurance, since its NOT YOUR FAULT....you have 2 ways to go about getting your car fixed:

1> get a quote, pay your deductible, get ur car fixed, receive your deductible back in a check from your insurance company (when they deal with the lady's insurance company, they will get that money for you)

2> get a quote, give it to your insurance, they will get you a check for that value, get your car fixed...

so either way your not paying anything from your wallet....your insurance will NOT go higher either....
^^ this. get your car fixed. leaving it b/c of a carfax report... honestly if you end up selling the car privately they show the potential next owner pics of the damage (minor) then at least you're being honest with full disclosure.

IF i ever sold my car, i would not be objectionable to full disclosure of what happened to it, since i know that all of the issues pertaining to accidents, acts of god or whatever, were relatively minor with NO major structural damage to the vehicle (all cosmetic). however...i have no plans to sell my car, EVER. original owner FTW!
Old 01-21-2012, 02:29 PM

^^^

my ex girl always said "you love your car more than me, dont you?" and i always replied "yes i do!!!"

we were pretty serious and one day when we were just talking about getting married, i was like can i tell you what i want to hear as your wedding vows....she smiled and said "what baby" (she didnt know what was gonna hit her :devil: )

i was like say "i love you so much that i will never ask you to sell your car no matter what"

Old 01-24-2012, 10:29 AM
Intermediate

Thanks for all your feedbacks, I love this forum.
I did call my insurance and reported the issue and asked them if I can claim it through the girls insurance company and they said sure. After listening to the case they said surely its her fault because she hit you at red light. Now I have to take the car to a shop given by her insurance, I will get a free loner car and the will fix the issue. Thanks everyone.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:33 AM
Instructor

check if there's any Acura dealer in their list and bring your car there. If you don't know any body shop in the area I will trust the dealer's body shop more than any random local body shop. That's just me.
Hopefully you'll get your car back soon.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:37 AM

Received 1,021 Likes on 793 Posts
we need pics!
Old 01-24-2012, 12:40 PM
Cruisin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
A little inside info about Carfax. I have worked in body shops and have been an automotive insurance adjuster for years and here's a little secret about how Carfax actually works. Let's say you take your TL to a shop for repairs, when the bodyshop calls the dealer to order a new bumper cover the parts guy will ask for the VIN in order to "make sure" they get the right part. When the dealer sells the bumper using the VIN from your car, it flags that car in carfaxes database as having "Minor" rear end damage. Obviously if they order a decklid, rear body panel etc, it can change the amount of damage reported on the report. About a year ago I bumped a lamp post with my Ridgeline, about $1,500 worth of damage to the bumper and grille. When I took it to a friends shop to have it fixed (and yes, I filed a claim with my insurance carrier) I told him I would order the parts. Anyway, when I called my local Honda dealer to order the parts I gave the parts guy the part numbers I had looked up and told him I didn't have the VIN handy. I ran a Carfax a month or so back just to check, and the report came back clean! By the way, you DO NOT have to take your car to one of their shops!!!! By law you can choose any shop you want to do the repairs. Don't let the insurance company sway your choice!!!

Last edited by cwelk87gn; 01-24-2012 at 12:45 PM.
Old 01-24-2012, 02:13 PM
Drifting

Received 554 Likes on 387 Posts
Something to keep in mind....

You may not see any damage to your bumper cover, but the fact that it flexed upon impact could very well have damaged the paint. Time will tell if it actually did.

I got rear ended in my old car and when I got out I saw nothing at all wrong with my car or the lady's that hit me. Well a while after that (don't remember how long, maybe a month or more) I noticed the paint on my bumper cover had a ton of tiny cracks that looked like a spider web. It was from it flexing when she hit me, which wasn't very hard at all.

There may be damage even though you don't see it just yet.