"Replace battery" message in 2012 TL SH-AWD Advance

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 10:24 AM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
"Replace battery" message in 2012 TL SH-AWD Advance

On 4 or 5 occasions, I've gotten a "replace battery" message in my 2012 TL SH-AWD Advance.

The car, obviously, is new, so this seems like a problem. The dealer has tested the battery and says it is within spec. They have seen this on other vehicles, and apparently there is a TSB addressing this on the ZDX but not yet on the TL.

Sometimes it happens after the car hasn't been driven for a day or two if I've been away (but sometimes not--I was away for more than a week and it was fine). Sometimes it just happens completely randomly. The dealership now says this is "normal," which seems odd to me.

Anyone else seeing this And has anyone else succeeded in fixing it?

Thanks.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:40 AM

Received 1,020 Likes on 792 Posts
read this thread.

https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-tl-2009-2014-123/what-did-they-do-852152/

to put it in simple words. acura battery sucks. go to autozone or anywhere to get an alternate battery.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:44 PM
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 20 Posts
I know Acura's battery sucks but not many people have this problem.
take picture of the message everytime it shows up and ask for a new battery.
Since this is a 2012 I would not pay out of pocket for a replacement.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:47 PM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
^^ Per my thread above, this was happening to me, too, with my 2012. The beginning of this issue coincided with a small repair having been made to my rear quarter panel, so I mistakenly associated the two.

My car did die while driving once, but all other times the low battery indicator came on, the car was fine to drive. It's been in an out of the dealership four times now, and my service guy *finally* thinks he solved the issue, but we'll see. This is what he had to say, and I think you should relay this to your service tech:

Your car needed a software update for your message indicator. Still no current draw on battery. Charging system operation is still good. Secured a semi-loose ignition wire. Everything else is ok.

So try talking to your dealership about that software update. From what I gather, the message doesn't necessarily mean that the car has an issue. It seems like it's just a glitch, although it's irritating. This is not "normal" so do not let your dealership try to snow you.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:48 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by under9hell
I know Acura's battery sucks but not many people have this problem.
take picture of the message everytime it shows up and ask for a new battery.
Since this is a 2012 I would not pay out of pocket for a replacement.
I take pics and text them to my service guy each time this pops up, but I don't ask for a new batter and wouldn't think the OP should, either. The dealership will test the battery and find that it's just fine. This is a software glitch. See my post above - seems that an update has been released. I won't have my car back until Friday so I can't speak as to whether they actually finally fixed this, but we'll see. I'm hoping.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:40 PM
Racer

I don't even need to take a picture--it generates an Acura Link message.

We'll see if they find anything on the software update. I believe that is the issue and what fixed this for the ZDX. It seemed in that case, the system was too sensitive in terms of what it deemed to be a battery problem.

I'm taking the car in Monday. Will let you know how I make out.

Birdy, please let us know what happens with the update on your car. What year is it?
Old 04-11-2012, 02:22 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by MikeElmendorf
I don't even need to take a picture--it generates an Acura Link message.

We'll see if they find anything on the software update. I believe that is the issue and what fixed this for the ZDX. It seemed in that case, the system was too sensitive in terms of what it deemed to be a battery problem.

I'm taking the car in Monday. Will let you know how I make out.

Birdy, please let us know what happens with the update on your car. What year is it?
Mine has not generated an AL message each and every time, so it hasn't been in my error log unfortunately. Taking pictures with the time/date stamp was the only way to actually document the issue. There were many times that I was too slow on the draw and couldn't grab my iPhone in time, but I digress.

I will let you know if my car keeps acting up. Mine is also a 2012. I believe this to be an issue that is isolated to this year. Please ask your dealership to update the software... Hopefully this will be the fix we need!
Old 04-15-2012, 04:09 PM
Instructor

No issues since picking the car up on Friday, and we've been driving around quite a bit this weekend.
Old 04-15-2012, 04:36 PM
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
It's definitely a software issue the battery is fine i had 2 loaner cars that had this problem. The dealership is aware of the problem also. Bottom line don't take no for an answer let them fix it.
Old 04-16-2012, 04:27 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by njsimons
It's definitely a software issue the battery is fine i had 2 loaner cars that had this problem. The dealership is aware of the problem also. Bottom line don't take no for an answer let them fix it.
Absolutely. I had to bring my vehicle in three separate times before finally telling the dealership NOT to release my car until they had duplicated the issue and FIXED IT. I am uncertain of the lemon laws in other states, but I gave my service guy a very gentle reminder that if in my state a dealership has four shots to fix a recurring issue.

What's beyond me is the fact that this is becoming a very well-known software issue in the 2012, yet dealerships aren't wanting to perform the simple upgrade needed to remedy the situation. It's baffling to me that these service departments would rather people bring their cars back multiple times for the same issue rather than just fix the damn thing properly the first time.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:09 AM
Racer

Can anyone point to where there is documentation of a software update? That's clearly the issue, but my dealership says there is no update for the TL yet (there is one for the MDX and I believe ZDX, which had the same issue).
Old 04-17-2012, 04:06 PM
Instructor

Can anyone point to where there is documentation of a software update? That's clearly the issue, but my dealership says there is no update for the TL yet (there is one for the MDX and I believe ZDX, which had the same issue).
Do you have more than one dealership locally? Your dealership doesn't know what its talking about, with all due respect.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:40 PM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
Another possibility is that the software fix is still in the trial-and-error period. This will probably explain why Birdy*feet's car has to spent multiple trips to the dealership for the same battery warning message problem.

Until the software remedy has proved to be working, then Honda will release this software update to all dealerships in the form of a service bulletin.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:00 PM
Instructor

^^ Could be! All I know is that it remedied the issue on my vehicle.
Old 12-28-2013, 04:31 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 Acura TL--Battery messages on dashboard

This 2012 TL is 2-1/2 years old.
The engine has always cranked normally.
At around 2 years old, the battery became completely discharged--and had to be jumped--because I inadvertently left the headlights on for around 3 1/2 hours.

Two weeks ago, at around 49,500 miles, a warning to "Check Battery" appeared. I clicked on the option to "remind me later," or something like that.

Today, at 50,300 miles, a warning to "Replace Battery" appeared. I deleted this warning message and then tested the voltage with a standard voltmeter: Reading: 12.93 amps. For comparison, I tested the 2 year old Honda battery in my 2000 TL: Reading: 12.65 amps.

Based on what other bloggers have said, I assume that my vehicle, too, has a software issue, not a battery- or generator issue. I wont' be able to see a dealer until 1/2/2014, at the earliest, but still am planning to drive the car to/from a destination New Year's eve party, leaving home on Dec 30. Will update in early 2014.
Old 12-29-2013, 05:27 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by 2212plumb
This 2012 TL is 2-1/2 years old.
The engine has always cranked normally.
At around 2 years old, the battery became completely discharged--and had to be jumped--because I inadvertently left the headlights on for around 3 1/2 hours.

Two weeks ago, at around 49,500 miles, a warning to "Check Battery" appeared. I clicked on the option to "remind me later," or something like that.

Today, at 50,300 miles, a warning to "Replace Battery" appeared. I deleted this warning message and then tested the voltage with a standard voltmeter: Reading: 12.93 amps. For comparison, I tested the 2 year old Honda battery in my 2000 TL: Reading: 12.65 amps.

Based on what other bloggers have said, I assume that my vehicle, too, has a software issue, not a battery- or generator issue. I wont' be able to see a dealer until 1/2/2014, at the earliest, but still am planning to drive the car to/from a destination New Year's eve party, leaving home on Dec 30. Will update in early 2014.
Discharging a lead-acid battery completely permanently damages it's ability to hold a charge. That may be the reason for this issue.
The following users liked this post:
2212plumb (01-12-2014)
Old 12-29-2013, 03:04 PM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
My 2012 TL-Tech has exhibited this problem since 5 days after taking new delivery (March 2011)

We've had it in to the dealer **several** times for this problem. Each time they see the message in the AccuraLink system but claim they can't dupe the problem.

Last Friday (Dec 27th) it was back to the dealer **again** for this same problem. The dealer ran a cold cranking test and said the battery showed only 405 CCA, and should be 550, so they replaced the battery (under warranty).

Today (Sunday Dec 29th) the damn battery message is on the screen **again**

All this aside, I've never had a problem with the vehicle starting. Granted, it doesn't get driven a lot, only 10k miles on the clock after 21 months of ownership, but it was driven up to Ft.Worth (approx 500 mi round trip) this past thanksgiving.

I plan to call the dealership tomorrow and raise some hell.
Old 01-12-2014, 08:18 PM
2nd Gear

Follow-up to Kahta's comment and update on issue with my 2012 TL.
The complete battery-discharge occurred more than 18 months ago, so I it seems thatk that, in my case at least, such discharging materially damaged the battery. Maybe the discharging somewhat reduced the total normal life???

The car's battery worked fine both over the New Year's holiday and during the recent deep freeze in the US. However, the "Replace Battery" warning did appear once over the past 2-1/2 weeks. I'm still thinking that the problem is with computer software, as many owners have written.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:36 PM
Forum Contributor

Received 1,391 Likes on 643 Posts
The only current TSB for battery related messages is this one that affected early 2012 TLs. A battery sensor software update was released.

TSB 12-013 - MID Shows BATTERY CHARGE LOW
http://techinfo.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SB/B12-013.PDF

Last edited by EE4Life; 01-12-2014 at 10:39 PM.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:38 PM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Since we resuscitated this old thread.. to add my experience to it:

My '12 has had the "Battery Charge Low" message off and on for quite a while. A couple of weeks ago, when I came out to start it, the MID said "Replace Battery". I assumed it was more of the same and ignored it.

The next day it wouldn't start. Took the battery it, took it to be tested, and it was indeed bad.

So this "software issue" is either actually damaging batteries, or it happens coincidentally with the batteries being terrible junky batteries.

FWIW I replaced the stock 550CCA battery with a 750CCA Duralast Gold. So far so good. The guy at Autozone kept trying to talk me into having the dealer replace it for free; I pointed out that I would get the same junk battery as a replacement.
Old 02-16-2014, 09:43 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by sluzynsk
...snip...

FWIW I replaced the stock 550CCA battery with a 750CCA Duralast Gold. So far so good. The guy at Autozone kept trying to talk me into having the dealer replace it for free; I pointed out that I would get the same junk battery as a replacement.
I think this may be my next approach as well. The problem is very annoying. Our 12-TL was among the first delivered (3/20/11) in Houston & the dealership (John Eagle) has thus far been unable to or else incapable of fixing it.

I also do not know whether or not they have applied TSB 12-013, but the car has been back a total of 3 times for this exact same problem and will be going back again this coming week for the same issue. The car has very low mileage, barely 10K on the clock, with a lot of short "grocery store" trips, though it does see 44-mile trips at 75 mph at least a couple times a month. We also put 500+ miles on it this past Thanksgiving for a trip to Ft. Worth. Our previous '08 TL survived this same exact driving pattern without a problem and far too many owners are reporting this with the '12 for it to be anecdotal. Something is wrong with the damned system or else as others have suggested, the battery is a POS.

I have printed out the TSB and will take it in with me when I drop the car off Friday AM (2/21). If they do indeed apply the TSB, or else state that they previously have done so (copies of prior svc tickets do not so-indicate) and the problem reoccurs, then I will bite the bullet and purchase a high-end aftermarket battery for it and see where that takes me. This has to be solvable.
Old 02-16-2014, 09:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 38 Posts
TSB fixed my "fuel cap loose" message on my 2012 TL SH-AWD, and I haven't had any problems since (knock on wood).
Old 02-19-2014, 02:32 PM
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 34 Posts
I still get the "Replace Battery" warning light from time to time. Usually when the car is parked for more than 24hrs. It comes on and goes off within 1 minute. Dealer keeps telling me it's normal, battery is fine blah blah blah. I just ignore it now, and maybe one day it won't start, and i'll change the battery.
Old 02-21-2014, 07:03 PM
Instructor

Went into the dealership (again) today for the same old low battery warning message. However, this time I went in armed with a printout of TSB 12-013 in hand and showed it to the dealership. They acted as though they were totally unaware of the existence of this TSB. However, after checking the battery again & finding nothing wrong they at least did apply the software update called for in the TSB, or at least the service ticket says they did.

I am extremely hopeful that this will solve it as it's been driving us nuts.

By the way, the loaner they sent me home with this morning was a new 2014 TL-Tech, with only 69 miles on it. Whatever changes were made between our 2012 and the 2014 must be very subtle, as I sure didn't notice anything inside or out.
Old 02-21-2014, 08:29 PM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
^^^^^

The 2012, '13, and '14 model year TL's are basically the exact same car.
Old 06-25-2014, 01:10 AM
Cruisin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Brought my 2012 TL Tech in on 6/16 for the AL Battery message. Car has 44K and not even 2 years old. They load tested and replaced the battery. No mention of doing any update per TSB 12-013 - MID Shows BATTERY CHARGE LOW. Was replaced under warranty. I am glad it happened in warranty. Will be out of warranty in about 3 months.
Old 06-25-2014, 01:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 107 Posts
Just a point to ponder: If you go and buy a new aftermarket battery, it will give the dealer an excuse to wash his hands of the problem. It would seem more prudent although frustrating to persist with the original or a new Acura battery so that they continue to own the problem.

Btw, I don't believe the Acura batteries are crap. I don't really think Honda/Acura would knowingly select crappy cheap batteries for installation. I think the complex electronics and computers are the villains. I have a sample size of only one to base my comment on, but so far my 4.5 year old original battery is fine. I can leave the car for a month and it starts right up when I return. Knock on wood.
Old 11-12-2017, 05:07 PM
1st Gear

On 4 or 5 occasions, I've gotten a "replace battery" message in my 2012 TL SH-AWD Advance.

The car, obviously, is new, so this seems like a problem. The dealer has tested the battery and says it is within spec. They have seen this on other vehicles, and apparently there is a TSB addressing this on the ZDX but not yet on the TL.

Sometimes it happens after the car hasn't been driven for a day or two if I've been away (but sometimes not--I was away for more than a week and it was fine). Sometimes it just happens completely randomly. The dealership now says this is "normal," which seems odd to me.

Anyone else seeing this And has anyone else succeeded in fixing it?

Thanks.
Okay I have a Acura TL 2012 and I'm having the same problem took it to the Honda dealership and they said that they have a recall on the battery sensors but the Acura do not have a battery recall on the battery sensor right now they told me that it would probably cost me in the range of 200 to 250
Old 07-18-2022, 10:13 PM
Pro

Received 114 Likes on 69 Posts
So has anyone found an actually found a fix instead of just sharing it’s happens to them too? My battery is in perfect condition. Yet somehow at least twice a year it goes through seasons of constantly popping “ replace battery” warning. Drives me insane. If I ignore it long enough it just goes away. What’s gives?
Old 07-18-2022, 10:14 PM
Pro

Received 114 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally Posted by Cap'n Preshoot
Went into the dealership (again) today for the same old low battery warning message. However, this time I went in armed with a printout of TSB 12-013 in hand and showed it to the dealership. They acted as though they were totally unaware of the existence of this TSB. However, after checking the battery again & finding nothing wrong they at least did apply the software update called for in the TSB, or at least the service ticket says they did.

I am extremely hopeful that this will solve it as it's been driving us nuts.

By the way, the loaner they sent me home with this morning was a new 2014 TL-Tech, with only 69 miles on it. Whatever changes were made between our 2012 and the 2014 must be very subtle, as I sure didn't notice anything inside or out.
have a copy of the tsb?
Old 07-19-2022, 09:41 AM
The inconvenient truth

Received 436 Likes on 322 Posts
Originally Posted by mrphilipanderson
have a copy of the tsb?
https://www.tsbsearch.com/Acura/12-013

Last edited by dopeboy1; 07-19-2022 at 09:43 AM.