Engine pinging in 2012 SH-AWD

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2018, 07:54 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine pinging in 2012 SH-AWD

So, this noise generally only happens for a few minutes after a cold start, and ONLY when I'm on the accelerator. I believe this is what engine pinging sounds like. Anyone had similar issues? I saw a few things about a possible ECU update, not using premium fuel, or possible timing belt/water pump issues as possible causes. I plan on getting it checked out by a mechanic later today but would love some feedback here. Thanks.

Link:
Old 10-19-2018, 09:32 AM
Drifting

Received 852 Likes on 605 Posts
That most definitely sounds like pinging to me. It sounds just like the engine I ruined in my FWD TL where some catalytic converter substrate was pulled into the cylinder and scratched the living $%&# out of the cylinder liner (long story....). It caused a ton of carbon buildup from oil consumption and pinged like crazy. I've since replaced the engine but even the new engine pings a bit (and the old one before I ruined it). Nothing like that though. And according to my ECU monitor, I'm only seeing timing being pulled by 0.5 degrees at most, which is pretty much within the range of background noise, indicating that the very occasional pinging isn't an issue. A little bit of pinging is understandable just due to the nature of a higher compression engine. But it shouldn't be as bad as you're experiencing.

I'd eliminate the possibility of carbon buildup first. Purchase a cheap boroscope on eBay or Amazon (you can get one for like, $25 or so that connect right to a laptop via USB) then take out the spark plugs and take a look at the cylinder heads with it. If there's a lot of carbon buildup, I'd consider using some additives. There's a bunch of additives, some of which I've found to have mixed results. I alternate between Gumout fuel system cleaner, Marvel Mystery oil and Seafoam in the tank. I add one of those maybe once a month. That isn't that expensive really. Some will claim it's snake oil, and it may very well but, but I literally have 0 carbon deposits on my exhaust valves and piston head some something's obviously working. Unless your mechanic finds something obvious, it might be worth running a few additives through the fuel system to slowly break up and clean off carbon deposits. Maybe alternate between a few every tank or every other tank. I'm just maintaining at this point but if you have a lot, you'll want to be more aggressive. Carbon deposits are pretty hardcore so I don't think there's some sort of magic juice that is going to remove it all at once. It's probably going to be a slow process. I also use Shell or Chevron fuel which claims to have more PEA additives, which is the best chemical for cleaning off carbon.

I'd also consider taking it to the dealer to have them check for the most recent ECU updates. I'd also recommend using a top tier premium fuel if you're not already. I can't say much about timing issues. I don't think I've ever had any. But it's possible. When's the last time your timing belt was changed? I've heard of the belt potentially stretching but it's not a common problem.

Edit: Oh, I forgot to ask; are you experiencing any of the oil consumption problems that some of the 3.7L engines do? If so, that's another culprit that could point to the engine running too rich and/or carbon buildup due to oil getting past the rings.

Last edited by losiglow; 10-19-2018 at 09:36 AM.
The following users liked this post:
BPoole23 (10-19-2018)
Old 10-19-2018, 09:44 AM
10th Gear

Thanks for the response. I just got this and got an oil change a few hundred miles ago so I'm not sure if this is one of the engines experiencing excessive oil consumption. I pray to God this doesn't ruin the engine. I just got this car because in my '06 Accord a spark plug backed out and I can't remember, but I think it was an ignition coil, got into the cylinder and tore up the inside of the cylinder which required the engine to be replaced. This was just 2 months ago. Hoping the mechanic will have time to check it out today when I get off work.
Old 10-19-2018, 09:46 AM
10th Gear

You said it ruined your engine, did you let the pinging go for a while? Did you catch it quick and it was already too late? How did that all go down?
Old 10-19-2018, 09:55 AM
Drifting

The pinging didn't ruin the engine. I'm almost embarrassed to explain what happened because it was extremely stupid on my part.

I ordered some high-flow pre-cats from RV6 and while I was waiting for them to be delivered, I thought I'd experiment a bit by "gutting" the front stock catalytic converter. I had no interest in ever putting it back on and could only get about $30 for it at the recycler so I figured what the heck. I'll try it and see what happens! It was one of those "Hold my beer, I'm gonna try somethin'" situations. Anyways, I removed the pre-cat, gutted it, and reinstalled it. However, I didn't do a really great job making sure all the ceramic substrate was cleaned out. I started the engine up and took it for a spin. Little did I know, an engine can actually pulls a vacuum when you're coasting and can pull some exhaust back into the cylinder if you have a fast enough RPM and you're not giving the engine any throttle. Not a problem under just about any circumstance. But in this case, cylinder 5 (center front cylinder) sucked up some of the ceramic substrate from the catalytic converter which scratched the cylinder liner. After the engine was torn down, we also found a chunk lodged in between the piston head and cylinder liner which ruined the oil control ring. So suffice it to say, I jacked things up pretty good. I was burning about 1 qt. of oil every 200 miles or so. Really bad.

The really bad pinging started after that due to oil consumption. Before that, it was very minor; well within what would be considered normal for these engines.

Live and learn. This lesson cost me about $3500 though

I don't see your pinging causing permanent engine damage in the short term, since it's only happening when it's cold, and the ECU will attempt to pull timing as much as possible to avoid it. Damage could certainly occur if it were to happen over a good deal of time though since it adds a lot of stress to the engine when it occurs. Engines are typically built to withstand some ping without self destructing. Just not a lot over a great deal of time of course. In the meantime, while you and your mechanic are investigating the problem, I'd either let the engine warm up a bit, or avoid higher throttle when it's cold. Whatever it takes to minimize it.

Last edited by losiglow; 10-19-2018 at 09:59 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by losiglow:
BPoole23 (10-19-2018), justnspace (10-19-2018)
Old 10-19-2018, 10:00 AM

Received 16,263 Likes on 11,973 Posts
while hurtful on pride/ego, it's always beneficial to share embarrassing moments. Glad you shared that, losiglow.
I gotta say tho, both of us have went through some trying times with our cars, but has taught us even more about the platform!

OP, Good luck with your diagnosis.
Old 10-19-2018, 10:06 AM
10th Gear

That's good to hear for me, haha. This is my first real experience of doing research and trying to figure out more basic mechanics of just how all the different parts of the engine/drivetrain/suspension work together. I couldn't even identify my catalytic converter, so no reason to be embarrassed here. I'm hoping this wasn't a common theme in the last owner that had it, which I don't think it would've been since it was just very rare and short-lived when I would hear it until the past couple days. Would be brutal if this engine were to get damaged after just buying the car and putting money in 4 rim repairs, 4 new tires, etc. Good thing is, I got this rebuilt after it needed a new bumper, head lamp, and fender for $7k, about half of what the equivalent car was going for used. So, even putting this extra money in to get everything right it should still be a pretty good deal on such a nice car.
Old 10-19-2018, 11:05 AM
Drifting

Yeah, you've gotta start somewhere The SH-AWD TL is pretty nice. Love the Acura AWD system. The only kicker is the potential oil consumption problems on that 3.7 V6. It's been a chronic problem on all Acura 3.7L engines. They actually discontinued the engine altogether, presumably because of that issue. I still don't know why they didn't just go to cast iron liners like the other V6's had but whatever. Maybe it's because they're moving to turbocharged engines.

Anyways, keep an eye on your oil level. I'd check it once a week or so if I owned an SH-AWD Tl. If it does consume oil, you'll want to make sure it never gets too low. There's been a few that have had pretty catastrophic engine problems due to the engine eventually running dry on oil.
Old 10-19-2018, 03:05 PM
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
I took delivery of my 2012 TL SH-AWD (6MT) about a month ago and driving it back from the dealership I could hear it pinging on acceleration. I was on a full tank of gas, doing a 2 hour drive home. My first thought was to wait it out a couple days and then take it back to the dealership. But before I did that, I waited until my tank was empty and then filled up a full tank of gas with 91, as Acura recommends and what do you know, the pinging is gone. I have been using 91 octane fuel since and i have not heard the pinging again. My assumption is that the dealership, which was a Dodge dealership, put in 87 octane unknowingly. Hope this helps !
The following users liked this post:
losiglow (10-19-2018)
Old 10-19-2018, 03:14 PM
Drifting

Pretty strong possibility there. A lot of vehicles that indicate premium won't noticeably ping, so the dealer figures what the hell and just fills it up as cheap as possible. As Eric The Car Guy stated in one of his YouTube videos, on a level of 1-10, you're not likely to hear the pinging until it reaches a level of about 7. Your knock sensor will, and retard timing accordingly. But you won't.

There are a few guys that use regular with their vehicles and say they notice no difference in pinging, economy, power, etc. I don't subscribe to that though. I've heard too many examples like yours to cheap out on the couple of hundred bucks per year that I'd save with regular vs. premium. Just my
Old 12-13-2018, 02:28 PM
Pro

Received 115 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally Posted by BPoole23
So, this noise generally only happens for a few minutes after a cold start, and ONLY when I'm on the accelerator. I believe this is what engine pinging sounds like. Anyone had similar issues? I saw a few things about a possible ECU update, not using premium fuel, or possible timing belt/water pump issues as possible causes. I plan on getting it checked out by a mechanic later today but would love some feedback here. Thanks.

Link: https://youtu.be/W2wn7BFrFQ8
This is my EXACT issue as well. Did you ever get it figured out? there is a another thread JUST LIKE THIS ONE with the same ISSUE and no one can find a fix. ONE GUY says he did a hypoid fluid (transfer case assembly fluid) change and it went away. never returned, im gonna try that this weekend. Id hope it was a walk in service but Acura Said it may take a while since they are so busy.