Ktuner - Anybody have a tune for this particular set up?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2019, 06:15 AM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ktuner - Anybody have a tune for this particular set up?

So it's been bugging me that the Ktuner premapped tunes do not have anything for K&N cold air intake. I was curious if anybody has a cold air intake similar to or the same as the K&N cold air intake. Better yet, does anyone have a tune for this set up?

My set up:
K&N Cold Air intake
RV6 J-Pipe
Resonator Delete
Ktuner (Obviously) 😅

Please let me know, poat pics of your tune for your set up if it is indeed similar or the same.

Thank you!
Old 01-18-2019, 09:55 AM
Drifting

Received 849 Likes on 605 Posts
The version of Ktuner I have doesn't have any maps that include any intake modifications. Do you have just the K&N air filter or the Typhoon? If it's just the air filter then there's going to be very little change in the flow or characteristics of the intake that Ktuner is going to help with. If it's the Typhoon, there may be some increased flow that Ktuner could take advantage of but I doubt it would be very significant. The resonator delete is also pretty moot in terms of parameters that would change the engine. It changes the exhaust sound but doesn't really change the airflow characteristics that Ktuner could take advantage of. Keep in mind, Ktuner is simply meant to adjust engine parameters like air/fuel mixture and timing to take advantage of mods. If the mod isn't going to change the characteristics of the engine, Ktuner isn't really going to do anything. Now the J-pipe on the other hand; that increases the airflow enough to warrant a tune which is the reason there's a base map included for that.

And FYI, if you plan on doing a custom tune eventually, I'd complete any other bolt-ons beforehand. If you plan on adding PCD's/HFPC's, upgraded throttle body/intake manifold (if you have the FWD 3.5L TL), port and polish of the intake manifold, throttle body or intake runners, cat-back or magnaflow mufflers, even the throttle body or intake manifold spacer - those are going to change characteristics of the engine enough to warrant a tune. Well, maybe not the spacers. I don't have those. Don't really think they help. But anyways, if you do a custom tune first, then add that stuff, you'll want to retune to take full advantage of them, which you'll have to pay for again But in the meantime, use the custom map that most closely resembles your setup, finish bolt-ons, then do a custom tune. There are some e-tune options that are reasonably priced and work well. A custom tune might be the best "upgrade" I've done. It really unlocks the potential of the bolt-ons.

Last edited by losiglow; 01-18-2019 at 09:57 AM.
The following users liked this post:
echodigital (01-18-2019)
Old 01-18-2019, 09:59 AM
Latent car nut

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,407 Posts
Originally Posted by RocketEffect
So it's been bugging me that the Ktuner premapped tunes do not have anything for K&N cold air intake. I was curious if anybody has a cold air intake similar to or the same as the K&N cold air intake. Better yet, does anyone have a tune for this set up?

My set up:
K&N Cold Air intake
RV6 J-Pipe
Resonator Delete
Ktuner (Obviously) ��

Please let me know, poat pics of your tune for your set up if it is indeed similar or the same.

Thank you!
Given your car came from the factory with a CAI, there was little, if any, gain to be realized by changing out your intake for a K&N.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:25 AM
Drifting

Received 849 Likes on 605 Posts
Originally Posted by horseshoez
Given your car came from the factory with a CAI, there was little, if any, gain to be realized by changing out your intake for a K&N.
Well, except that if he got the Typhoon, it's now a hot air intake. The Typhoon on the 4G TL is essentially a short ram intake.
Old 01-18-2019, 12:06 PM
Latent car nut

Originally Posted by losiglow
Well, except that if he got the Typhoon, it's now a hot air intake. The Typhoon on the 4G TL is essentially a short ram intake.
Yeah, Typhoon = less than worthless.
Old 01-18-2019, 03:04 PM
3rd Gear

My set up:
K&N Cold Air intake
RV6 J-Pipe
Resonator Delete
Ktuner (Obviously) 😅

Thank you!
Oh right I totally forgot to include that Ive got a 3.7L AT Shawd TL

And also the intake replaces the bit that extends from the throttle body and has it's own spot for the MAF
Old 01-18-2019, 03:08 PM
3rd Gear

So ya I do have the typhoon. You're saying that its actually worse than the stock intake?
Old 01-18-2019, 05:50 PM
Drifting

Received 671 Likes on 541 Posts
So ya I do have the typhoon. You're saying that its actually worse than the stock intake?
That would be the general consensus.The Stock Intake is the best Intake you can have on the car.

Any other Intake would require a Custom Tune.
Old 01-18-2019, 05:56 PM
Latent car nut

Originally Posted by KarKraze
That would be the general consensus.The Stock Intake is the best Intake you can have on the car.

Any other Intake would require a Custom Tune.
And even with a tune, a car with a Typhoon will be at a disadvantage to a stock car, especially as the weather warms up.
The following 2 users liked this post by horseshoez:
KarKraze (01-18-2019), losiglow (01-21-2019)
Old 01-18-2019, 05:58 PM
Drifting

Received 671 Likes on 541 Posts
Originally Posted by horseshoez
And even with a tune, a car with a Typhoon will be at a disadvantage to a stock car, especially as the weather warms up.
Facts .