2010 3.5L Acura TL owner - AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

Notices

2010 3.5L Acura TL owner

Old 01-11-2019, 02:44 PM
  #1  
New Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Age: 24
Posts: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2010 3.5L Acura TL owner

.Hello!
Owned this car for a while now, looking to add some horsepower to it. Haven't really done much to it, just a K&n intake. Thinking about going J Pipe and exhaust next. Open to suggestions!
Nathanaelm7 is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 04:02 PM
  #2  
Administrator
 
Ron A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 15,072
Thanked 764 Times in 431 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Since this is a topic/technical issue which will require replies and discussion, and not a "New Member Introduction", this thread has been moved to the model specific forum.
Ron A is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron A For This Useful Post:
Nathanaelm7 (01-11-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 05:26 PM
  #3  
Registered Member
 
dopeboy1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Age: 28
Posts: 611
Thanked 111 Times in 86 Posts
Best things to do are PCD or HFPC, J-pipe, catback, ktuner.

You can search the performance section for more things.
dopeboy1 is offline  
Old 01-12-2019, 10:51 AM
  #4  
New Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Age: 24
Posts: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dopeboy1 View Post
Best things to do are PCD or HFPC, J-pipe, catback, ktuner.

You can search the performance section for more things.
after all this is set and done, how much HP you think would be added, and what do you think the estimated cost would be?
Nathanaelm7 is offline  
Old 01-12-2019, 11:42 AM
  #5  
Registered Member
 
dopeboy1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Age: 28
Posts: 611
Thanked 111 Times in 86 Posts
Well the fact of the matter is that its hard to get more power out of these NA engines (assuming you want to keep it NA) as they are well optimized from the factory.

And quality products don't come cheap.

I would optimistically estimate 30-40 whp.

350 for PCD or 500 for HFPC + 450 Jpipe + 1000 catback + 500 Ktuner.

Then unless you are installing the exhaust components yourself, you will have to pay someone to do that which wont be cheap either.
dopeboy1 is offline  
Old 01-12-2019, 12:00 PM
  #6  
New Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Age: 24
Posts: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yeah, sounds about right. I appreciate your help!
Nathanaelm7 is offline  
Old 01-14-2019, 12:24 PM
  #7  
Registered Member
iTrader: (1)
 
losiglow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Age: 37
Posts: 2,800
Thanked 670 Times in 468 Posts
I've done everything dopeboy mentioned (HFPC's instead of PCD) except catback. I opted to just install magnaflow mufflers instead. The biggest difference was after tuning with Ktuner. I'm very happy with the response from the mods. I've never dyno'd it but if I had to place a bet, I'd say it's gained maybe 30hp. Not much but definitely better than stock, especially the improvement in lower end torque. I also added the 3.7L throttle body and intake manifold along with ported and polished intake runners. Just make sure if you do Ktuner that it's after all the bolt-on mods since they alter the parameters which Ktuner can optimize. If you add something after that, you'll want to re-tune in order to take full advantage of that. There are some good e-tuners we can recommend or find a local shop that knows Ktuner.
losiglow is offline  
Old 01-14-2019, 03:51 PM
  #8  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Age: 33
Posts: 515
Thanked 32 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by losiglow View Post
There are some good e-tuners we can recommend or find a local shop that knows Ktuner.
This might be a totally dumb question but I'm new to tuning. I know tuning is recommended, but how important would it be to actually get the car tuned vs use the predefined maps w/ the ktuner? I have the intake and j-pipe and I'm using the supplied tune map which matches my mods (FWD car). Would it necessary be that much better to get the custom e-tune? Also who would you recommend!

Thanks
Blaze9 is offline  
Old 01-14-2019, 04:04 PM
  #9  
Registered Member
iTrader: (1)
 
losiglow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Age: 37
Posts: 2,800
Thanked 670 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by Blaze9 View Post
This might be a totally dumb question but I'm new to tuning. I know tuning is recommended, but how important would it be to actually get the car tuned vs use the predefined maps w/ the ktuner? I have the intake and j-pipe and I'm using the supplied tune map which matches my mods (FWD car). Would it necessary be that much better to get the custom e-tune? Also who would you recommend!

Thanks
If you only have an intake a j-pipe I'd probably just go with the predefined maps. In my experience, the custom tune vs. the maps was a big step up but I had a lot more changes than you've currently got now. If you decide to do more bolt-ons you might consider a custom tune later.
losiglow is offline  
Old 01-14-2019, 04:22 PM
  #10  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Age: 33
Posts: 515
Thanked 32 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by losiglow View Post
If you only have an intake a j-pipe I'd probably just go with the predefined maps. In my experience, the custom tune vs. the maps was a big step up but I had a lot more changes than you've currently got now. If you decide to do more bolt-ons you might consider a custom tune later.
Yeah I was already totally blown away by how great the response was from the stock to the default tuned maps. I might do some more mods down the line, thinking of the HFPCs to add a bit of noise. Don't wanna do the whole exhaust yet. Sounds like the next set of mods I'll include tuning as a cost factor.
Blaze9 is offline  
Old 01-14-2019, 05:07 PM
  #11  
Registered Member
 
dopeboy1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Age: 28
Posts: 611
Thanked 111 Times in 86 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Blaze9 View Post
Yeah I was already totally blown away by how great the response was from the stock to the default tuned maps. I might do some more mods down the line, thinking of the HFPCs to add a bit of noise. Don't wanna do the whole exhaust yet. Sounds like the next set of mods I'll include tuning as a cost factor.
Aren't there more base maps for you to use after doing more mods?

p.s. hfpcs are great
dopeboy1 is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
rkan121
1G & 2G MDX Discussion (2001-2013)
5
03-17-2014 06:03 PM
ynot8
Fourth Generation TL (2009-2014)
26
02-01-2014 11:08 PM
6SpeedTA95
Fourth Generation TL (2009-2014)
30
03-19-2013 09:45 PM
kazelement
2G TSX Performance Parts & Modifications
41
06-11-2011 04:01 PM
atticusbcr
Member Cars for Sale
1
02-21-2011 07:24 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2010 3.5L Acura TL owner


Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.