4G TL Speed Governor

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 09:12 PM
Waaaaaaaaaa.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr Marco
Hey KS,
Check out this thread...The first video could be your car at Race City...

https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-tl-2009-2014-123/tl-sh-awd-track-videos-786808/
Yes dad I promise to take my car to the Race City.

Bu...but...but... then I'll really want to get rid of that darn ECU speed governor.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:21 PM
COTM Coordinator

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
^ Hes looking out for your best interest as well as everyone who reads this.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:30 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
I could go out daily and do 150 safely on some of the roads around here. If i could get past the 150 limiter on my TL id do it in heart beat. Ive hit it so many times its not even funny.Some act as though they never did any thing wrong. Lets get back on topic of is there a way and not you shouldnt do it.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:47 PM
COTM Coordinator

Im pretty sure we have established that there is currently not a way to do it.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:01 PM
Waaaaaaaaaa.

Originally Posted by MurkyRiversTL
^ Hes looking out for your best interest as well as everyone who reads this.
Originally Posted by MurkyRiversTL
Im pretty sure we have established that there is currently not a way to do it.
Hey hey. My interests (and maybe poor old Rudolph sitting on the road) - remember I'd never push 130mp/h | 220km/h when I'd potentially endanger someone

How about several posts back where someone said there was a user who HAS done it?
Old 08-23-2010, 11:05 PM
COTM Coordinator

That was on a 3g right..... checking..... actually there were no specifics, no vehicle type, just wired something up lol.... not very definitive.

I guess research would be the next thing to do, or be a pioneer and figure something out, just dont make a flux capacitor.... wait..... do make a flux capacitor lol.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:56 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally Posted by fsttyms1
I could go out daily and do 150 safely on some of the roads around here. If i could get past the 150 limiter on my TL id do it in heart beat. Ive hit it so many times its not even funny.Some act as though they never did any thing wrong. Lets get back on topic of is there a way and not you shouldnt do it.
Good point, I'm going to check it out...Hondata? There has to be an way to remove the speed G.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:44 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Just read this part...guess you missed the two times I said; "I'm no angel".
Old 08-24-2010, 11:41 AM
Waaaaaaaaaa.

Just read this part...guess you missed the two times I said; "I'm no angel".
Gaaaaaaaaah stop bickering everybody. Nobody on this damn forum is an angel.

Go slow, go fast. Each to his/her own.

Anyway, who knows which OBD ECU model/version the TL 4G has?
Old 08-24-2010, 12:09 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by kooty-sentinel
Gaaaaaaaaah stop bickering everybody. Nobody on this damn forum is an angel.

Go slow, go fast. Each to his/her own.

Anyway, who knows which OBD ECU model/version the TL 4G has?
After my lengthy quest for info from Hondata, I received this detailed, insightful e-mail from them;

“We don't offer anything for these vehicles.”

Matt
Hondata Inc.
2840 Columbia St.
Torrance, CA 90503
(310) 782-8278
310.782.6383 FAX

7 words…Thanks for the help Matt.
Old 08-24-2010, 12:24 PM
Suzuka Master

I'm sure with a "custom tune" on the ECU you could raise or remove the SG. Any speed shop with the software could do this.

I read somewhere that CTS owners were doing this because they were limited to 100MPH.
Old 08-24-2010, 12:43 PM
Suzuka Master

After reading the Caddy threads and sifting through their back and forth name calling, I stand corrected, the SG MPH is 130 on the CTS. It also looks as though changing the SG is not that easy.

“Back when I made the statement abotu the Tech 2, I was unaware of the flash programmin modeule availabe for it. I don't hink it was availabel to the public, being proprietary technology and what not. That kiton that website might just be ble to do it. The thing is, that alot of the "reprogramming" capabilities of teh Tech 2 in the past, were thingts liek changing tires sizes to compensate for the ABS and stuff. With this "Flash" attachement, it might be possible, but i still kinda doubt it. Maybe someone should buy one and try it out. Anyone wanna lend me $4k.

As for the dealer reflashing it, you basically gotta have a freind there, who's a tech and who's also willing to take the chance that they might get fired. It would probably have to be written up as a repair for a TSB or something. Then they would have to find a way to do it, within making known exactly what was going on. Finally, it's not cheap. It's at least a couple hundred dollars to do it. After all this, it might just be easier to invest in the proper equipment (if infact it can be precured), unless of course you happen to know a guy at the dealer.” –danbuc 06-24-06 02:12 AM Cadillac Owners.com

Gaaaaaaaaah stop bickering everybody.
You should read the caddy forums...holy toledo!
Old 08-25-2010, 09:04 PM
Waaaaaaaaaa.

After reading the Caddy threads and sifting through their back and forth name calling, I stand corrected, the SG MPH is 130 on the CTS. It also looks as though changing the SG is not that easy.

“Back when I made the statement abotu the Tech 2, I was unaware of the flash programmin modeule availabe for it. I don't hink it was availabel to the public, being proprietary technology and what not. That kiton that website might just be ble to do it. The thing is, that alot of the "reprogramming" capabilities of teh Tech 2 in the past, were thingts liek changing tires sizes to compensate for the ABS and stuff. With this "Flash" attachement, it might be possible, but i still kinda doubt it. Maybe someone should buy one and try it out. Anyone wanna lend me $4k.

As for the dealer reflashing it, you basically gotta have a freind there, who's a tech and who's also willing to take the chance that they might get fired. It would probably have to be written up as a repair for a TSB or something. Then they would have to find a way to do it, within making known exactly what was going on. Finally, it's not cheap. It's at least a couple hundred dollars to do it. After all this, it might just be easier to invest in the proper equipment (if infact it can be precured), unless of course you happen to know a guy at the dealer.” –danbuc 06-24-06 02:12 AM Cadillac Owners.com

You should read the caddy forums...holy toledo!
Ahh snap. I've got a contact over at the dealership, but unfortunately he's in Sales and probably doesn't have too much pull over in Service. I wonder if it has to be an Acura dealership to remove the SG? An authorized repair location?

I also have been asking around locally. Another buddy of mine lives downstairs from me... used to work for Honda, but now works for a car-mod/car parts dealer says someone at work can most likely do it for me. Should I give it a shot?

Speaking of bickering. I'm heading down to Race City next week. If I total my car on the track, I'm sending you the bill (Obviously joking, stop hiding behind your car)
Old 08-26-2010, 10:06 AM
Suzuka Master

Ahh snap. I've got a contact over at the dealership, but unfortunately he's in Sales and probably doesn't have too much pull over in Service. I wonder if it has to be an Acura dealership to remove the SG? An authorized repair location?

I also have been asking around locally. Another buddy of mine lives downstairs from me... used to work for Honda, but now works for a car-mod/car parts dealer says someone at work can most likely do it for me. Should I give it a shot?

Speaking of bickering. I'm heading down to Race City next week. If I total my car on the track, I'm sending you the bill (Obviously joking, stop hiding behind your car)
The only contact I have at our dealer is a very by-the-book service rep. He's a great guy and will put me in whatever loaner I want, but that is it.

It would seem to me that eventually someone will offer an ECU flash for the 4G TL. Lack of demand for an aftermarket solution dictates the empty hole. The model is so new and many may not want to void the warrantee. (Although, they would have to prove that you drove the car at 7,000rpm for 5min and burnt that valve in the process) You can get a Hondata reflash for the 07-08 RDX, so the 4G TL can’t be that far away. We plan on getting it, but not until our 6yr/70K BTB has expired. (45K now)

P.S. RDX sales are up 44% in July. This brought Acura total sales up for July. Sales of Honda’s, on the other hand, were down.
Old 08-29-2010, 06:01 PM
Waaaaaaaaaa.

The only contact I have at our dealer is a very by-the-book service rep. He's a great guy and will put me in whatever loaner I want, but that is it.

It would seem to me that eventually someone will offer an ECU flash for the 4G TL. Lack of demand for an aftermarket solution dictates the empty hole. The model is so new and many may not want to void the warrantee. (Although, they would have to prove that you drove the car at 7,000rpm for 5min and burnt that valve in the process) You can get a Hondata reflash for the 07-08 RDX, so the 4G TL can’t be that far away. We plan on getting it, but not until our 6yr/70K BTB has expired. (45K now)

P.S. RDX sales are up 44% in July. This brought Acura total sales up for July. Sales of Honda’s, on the other hand, were down.
When I get back to Calgary I'm going to see if my buddy's shop can hook up to the ECU and if they can, what they can modify. I'll let you know how it goes. Worst comes to worst, I'll just wait it out.

By the way, I went to Race City a few days back before I left to Tokyo. Apparently when I asked they said they don't open up the oval/track for public use often? I'm damn sure there's a track there but there's no information available online.
Old 08-29-2010, 07:19 PM
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
From what I've heard, Acura ECU's are notoriously impossible to mess with. Although I hope that I'm wrong about the 4G TL's ECU. I know CT-Engineering is working on being able to manipulate the ECU but I don't know about any progress that they've made with it.
Old 09-09-2010, 08:52 AM
Waaaaaaaaaa.

Marco,

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread/t-173371.html

Check that link out. Makes me think twice about wanting to go to Race City. Potholes? Gophers running across the track? Seriously?
Old 09-09-2010, 12:12 PM
10th Gear

When I want to go all out, I'll do a trackday on my bike.

That said, the speed governor worries me. The TL is not sold in Europe, more specifically Germany where you can do long stretches at 240km/hr and will occasionally get passed by faster traffic even then. They do sell the TSX as a Honda Accord, no governor but only as a 158 hp model.
You won't find speed governors on any of the European car makes because the're designed with a chassis that can handle the engine. Most german sedans don't come into their own and shine until you're doing at least 90-100km/hr ; they're essentially overengineered for North American use.
It's not that I will ever attempt to wring out the full potential of my TL, but what is Honda implying when they put speed governors on their cars ?
Old 09-11-2010, 06:32 PM
Suzuka Master

Marco,

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread/t-173371.html

Check that link out. Makes me think twice about wanting to go to Race City. Potholes? Gophers running across the track? Seriously?
Same as my public golf course, need a guy named Carl Spackler to clean up the greasy grimey gopher guts.

Originally Posted by Twinstar driver

That said, the speed governor worries me. The TL is not sold in Europe, more specifically Germany where you can do long stretches at 240km/hr and will occasionally get passed by faster traffic even then. They do sell the TSX as a Honda Accord, no governor but only as a 158 hp model.
You won't find speed governors on any of the European car makes because the're designed with a chassis that can handle the engine. Most german sedans don't come into their own and shine until you're doing at least 90-100km/hr ; they're essentially overengineered for North American use.
It's not that I will ever attempt to wring out the full potential of my TL, but what is Honda implying when they put speed governors on their cars ?
Leave it to the AHMC law team to screw us all out of a good time.
Old 09-19-2010, 02:02 PM
Cruisin'

Open source...

...find an Open Source tuner and pay to have him hack into your ECU. Then both of you could possible sell tunes for our cars. Be careful though, you could easily f-up your ride if you don't know what you are doing. Give Trey Cobb a call from Cobb Tuning. He may be able to help ou or point you in the right direction.

CRAZY KEN
Old 09-21-2010, 02:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by Twinstar driver

what about Beamers/Mercs?
Old 10-15-2010, 11:28 PM
Waaaaaaaaaa.

I have to admit something. I went out a couple weeks back to what we Calgarians call "Range Roads" (or Township Roads). They are in the middle of nowhere and are completely straight, flat, and perfect for pushing the top speed.

Here is an example of one:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...,0.090809&z=14

I had my car pinned at 215km/h (133mp/h) for at least 2 minutes. I wanted to see how the engine performed at 'factory' full load... temp, RPMs on hills, and tire pressure.

My temps stayed lower than where they would on a mild summer day, my Tire Pressure wouldn't go above 255kpa (roughly 2.5bar), and the car was glued to the road. I want to stress this point to everyone who hasn't pushed the TL to the max. The car is completely glued. I've drove a few cars to 200km/h+ (in completely safe conditions) including a 2007 Mustang GT, Mazda 3, and 330i. The TL doesn't seem like it's going fast.

There is no reason whatsoever the TLs should be speed governed. My HPT tires are rated for 300km/h+. The engine has more pull, and the aerodynamics on the car are perfectly suited for higher speeds.

(Disclaimer: This is just my rant - by no means think I am one of those assholes that rides your ass on the highway and goes 40km/h over constantly. I pick my time and places. And I have a child on the way - I've got too much to loose. I've pushed the TL slowly... step by step)
Old 10-16-2010, 07:34 AM
Cruisin'

Find an Open Source Tuner...

...who can/will hack into out ECU and be able to remove the governor and amongst more important thing PRO tune our cars with whatever mods we have!

CRAZY KEN

I opened source my old car ('05 Legacy GT)...walked away with 389whp/412wtq!
Old 10-17-2010, 10:18 AM
Drifting

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts
^It's much easier to tune a turbo car - there are no legitimate tunes/ecu chips, etc, for these J-series motor, they are already too efficient as it.
Old 05-21-2011, 06:29 PM
9th Gear

Has any solution been found to disable speed governor? By the way, it's quite funny that a capable car as the TL limits at 130 when all the germans limit at 155 mph.
Old 05-22-2011, 06:35 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 244 Likes on 137 Posts
The governor is probably more in the lines of "there's no way the brakes on this thing are stopping it rapidly from anything in excess of 150".

AEM EMS. There's already a J32 version - matter of time on the newer J35/J37 variants.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:00 AM
Proud owner of a GoosedTL

This is bs if I can get my ford focus over a 170 mph I should be able to get a TL to do it. We need to focus on getting this done!!