4G TL Speed Governor

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 07:04 PM
Waaaaaaaaaa.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4G TL Speed Governor

I was out today (on a completely open stretch of road with no cars around in the middle of the Rockies), and I decided to open my '10 TL A-Spec up.... and was completely disappointed when the governor kicked in at around 220km/h. The car felt like it was going to keep on pulling more and more, and my tires (Michelin Pilot Sport PS2's) are rated to go in excess of 300km/h.

Now... is there any way to remove the governor on the 4G TL?
Old 08-15-2010, 07:21 PM
Back From The dead

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts
And for my 1000th post:

It's only limited in Canadian. There's no limit in mph
Old 08-15-2010, 07:43 PM
Drifting

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

</thread>
Old 08-15-2010, 09:24 PM
Waaaaaaaaaa.

Originally Posted by NJ SHAWD
And for my 1000th post:

It's only limited in Canadian. There's no limit in mph
So you guys are telling me that only the Canadian models are governed?!

No ECU mods, or wire mods to remove the governor?
Old 08-15-2010, 09:28 PM
Back From The dead

Sorry man, it was a joke. There is no easy / quick fix.
Old 08-15-2010, 11:32 PM
Waaaaaaaaaa.

Sorry man, it was a joke. There is no easy / quick fix.
Thank god - I semi believed you there and was about to go drive my car into the dealership :P

Does anyone know the technical details on how Acura governs the top speed? I.e is it ECU?
Old 08-15-2010, 11:35 PM
ScoobyZINE

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
It's the ECU and nothing can be done.. yet Technology advances more and more everyday lol
Old 08-15-2010, 11:40 PM
Waaaaaaaaaa.

Originally Posted by AMUA6
It's the ECU and nothing can be done.. yet Technology advances more and more everyday lol
Is it technologically impossible at the moment? Or has no company got around to doing it yet?

Ahhh I can't wait until someone comes out with a mod.
Old 08-15-2010, 11:41 PM
ScoobyZINE

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
I'm not sure about the 4G but on the 3G, it's impossible to remove the speed governor. It's there for a reason
Old 08-15-2010, 11:43 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
No need to remove the governor IMHO.
Old 08-16-2010, 12:09 AM
Drifting

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts
Yea - agree with all the above - there is a reason they don't make it possible/easy to remove the governor. Even on a track I don't think I would feel comfortable exceeding those speeds without a roll cage and proper safety equipment.
Old 08-16-2010, 08:12 AM
Back From The dead

Do you plan on maxing the speedo often, or is this thread just letting us know you did?
Old 08-16-2010, 10:56 AM
Waaaaaaaaaa.

Do you plan on maxing the speedo often, or is this thread just letting us know you did?
No - not often, but maybe once every blue moon and it would be nice to . Out in Alberta there's a stretch of highway where bikes and nice cars open er' up.

And it's not to let everyone know I did - 220 is no feat at all.
I just find it frustrating that a Mazda 3 can reach 240... but an Acura TL can't. It's not the fact that I want to open er' up often. It's just knowing my car can - if you know what I mean.
Old 08-16-2010, 11:21 AM
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
You could always strap a rocket onto the back of your 'A-Spec' that oughta negate the governer
Old 08-17-2010, 08:36 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Kooty...Find a track day for street rides in your area. If you really are driving that fast (twice the average highway cruising speed) on a road designated by a number, you are putting other peoples lives in danger.

Last edited by Mr Marco; 08-17-2010 at 08:38 AM.
Old 08-17-2010, 04:29 PM
J36Twingt28r's,nextgt30r

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
yeah unfortunately due to technology advancing everyday ecu are getting harder and harder to crack. 3rd gen tl's, and 2004-2011 accords have speed govenors. my ecu being a 2003 6-speed accord ecu has no speed govenor.
Old 08-17-2010, 05:24 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by maddogtheta
You could always strap a rocket onto the back of your 'A-Spec' that oughta negate the governer
Old 08-17-2010, 05:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts
I agree with the OP..why put a governer on a "sport sedan" exactly what is Acura afraid of?
Old 08-17-2010, 05:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mr Marco
Kooty...Find a track day for street rides in your area. If you really are driving that fast (twice the average highway cruising speed) on a road designated by a number, you are putting other peoples lives in danger.
"I was out today (on a completely open stretch of road with no cars around in the middle of the Rockies)"

op did NADA wrong...good lord big bro lives on Acurazine...
Old 08-17-2010, 05:58 PM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by NwTSXmt
"I was out today (on a completely open stretch of road with no cars around in the middle of the Rockies)"

op did NADA wrong...good lord big bro lives on Acurazine...
you must not have kids or loved ones...
Old 08-17-2010, 09:16 PM
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by kooty-sentinel
I was out today (on a completely open stretch of road with no cars around in the middle of the Rockies)
What highway you talking bout? Thompson?
Old 08-17-2010, 09:38 PM
COTM Coordinator

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Governor is not applicable when vehicle is driven off cliff...... just make sure its high enough to reach maximum velocity...... or is it terminal velocity....... either way its a one time thing.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:34 AM
Instructor

I'm more interested in mod chips rathers than removing the governor. Here in Hawaii I'll hit the beach before I can even open it up in any direction fuckin aye. Besides I have a motorcycle for that kind of speed. Love my baby too much to rap her to a tree or side rails. Cruise control baby cruise control
Old 08-18-2010, 05:36 AM
J36Twingt28r's,nextgt30r

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
^^ if u mean ecu chips there are no chips. im not sure if anyone successfully used a f/IC on a 4th gen tl, but 3rd gen tl's and 7th gen accord can be tuned decently with the AEM f/IC.
Old 08-19-2010, 02:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by vinnier6
you must not have kids or loved ones...
Another old TL driver....it figures...Yes I have both...But what does that have to do with the OP "I was out today (on a completely open stretch of road with no cars around in the middle of the Rockies)"...ok never ever drive above the speed limit...just stay in the right lane/ MOVE B...GET OUT THE WAY
Old 08-19-2010, 03:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,412 Posts
Originally Posted by AMUA6
I'm not sure about the 4G but on the 3G, it's impossible to remove the speed governor. It's there for a reason
Originally Posted by tenzingsherpa
yeah unfortunately due to technology advancing everyday ecu are getting harder and harder to crack. 3rd gen tl's, and 2004-2011 accords have speed govenors. my ecu being a 2003 6-speed accord ecu has no speed govenor.
Even though I don't condone driving at those speeds, you can bypass the governer and go past that speed. One member here did it with some sort of device he bought and wired up to the ECU.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:29 PM
Connoisseur of Aesthetics

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another old TL driver....it figures...Yes I have both...But what does that have to do with the OP "I was out today (on a completely open stretch of road with no cars around in the middle of the Rockies)"...ok never ever drive above the speed limit...just stay in the right lane/ MOVE B...GET OUT THE WAY
HOLY SHIT. This is the funniest thread I have ever read on AZ. Props to you NwTSXmt for making me crack up after a hard day of work . Still laughin
Old 08-20-2010, 01:03 PM
Suzuka Master

Life has more importance to you when it's half over. Having seen the personal consequences of speeding (I'm not an angel or a cop), I reserve the right to voice my opinion and do so with genuine concern for everyone's safety.

Yours Truly,
The old TL driver

Last edited by Mr Marco; 08-20-2010 at 01:05 PM.
Old 08-22-2010, 06:58 PM
Waaaaaaaaaa.

Originally Posted by csmeance
Even though I don't condone driving at those speeds, you can bypass the governer and go past that speed. One member here did it with some sort of device he bought and wired up to the ECU.
Can you link me to that post here?

Originally Posted by TJ Zooker
What highway you talking bout? Thompson?
Highway 40... just past Highwood Pass until Longview. It's a commonly known road here where Sport Bikes go to hit 300km/h easy.

I agree with the OP..why put a governer on a "sport sedan" exactly what is Acura afraid of?
Could not agree more.

Life has more importance to you when it's half over. Having seen the personal consequences of speeding (I'm not an angel or a cop), I reserve the right to voice my opinion and do so with genuine concern for everyone's safety.

Yours Truly,
The old TL driver
If you are speeding down the freeway with cars all around you weaving in and out of traffic - you deserve to have your license revoked. I've seen too many idiots who do this.

On the other hand, when you are driving on a deserted stretch of highway, where you can see for miles, and no embankments where deer/wildlife can hide - I see no problem with hitting 200...250... or even 300. What makes it more dangerous than hitting those speeds on a track with other cars around you?

If you even hit 200-210km/h in the TL... you'd know it is rock solid stable. I've toyed around with the car at that speed - seeing how it handles, seeing how the car's braking is like. There's a difference with doing those speeds in a pickup truck, and a expensive import sport sedan.

I guess each to his own, eh?

Ahahahaahahaha. You made my day - thank you.
Old 08-22-2010, 07:03 PM
Waaaaaaaaaa.

Originally Posted by PowerCommander
I'm more interested in mod chips rathers than removing the governor. Here in Hawaii I'll hit the beach before I can even open it up in any direction fuckin aye. Besides I have a motorcycle for that kind of speed. Love my baby too much to rap her to a tree or side rails. Cruise control baby cruise control
Sorry I missed your post in my last post. I've been up to 280km/h on the back of a R1. I agree motorcycles are fun for that kind of speed - but I don't know if I can agree that they are safer at higher speeds.

A rock on the road can throw your bike off course, and even worse what if you start to experience chatter at that speed? Or you get a huge wind gust that throws you in oncoming traffic?
Old 08-22-2010, 08:11 PM
Suzuka Master

Thumbs down

"What makes it more dangerous than hitting those speeds on a track with other cars around you?" -kooky

Saftey, and a common agreement between everyone on the track! Lucky for me, there is almost 800 miles and a border between us.

I live close to a great track that offers street days and even a race school. The irony is SO DO YOU! It's a much better alternative to wrecking or hurting yourself, or someone else on the road. See Link:

http://www.racecity.com/index.php?op...d=17&Itemid=98

Last edited by Mr Marco; 08-22-2010 at 08:24 PM.
Old 08-22-2010, 09:13 PM
Waaaaaaaaaa.

"What makes it more dangerous than hitting those speeds on a track with other cars around you?" -kooky

Saftey, and a common agreement between everyone on the track! Lucky for me, there is almost 800 miles and a border between us.

I live close to a great track that offers street days and even a race school. The irony is SO DO YOU! It's a much better alternative to wrecking or hurting yourself, or someone else on the road. See Link:

http://www.racecity.com/index.php?op...d=17&Itemid=98
You're telling me that driving alone on a deserted highway with not a single car in sight is more dangerous then on a track... potentially driving with your friends - with the whole intent and purpose of beating them/their time?

There's a difference between street racing and driving fast by yourself in safe conditions.
Old 08-22-2010, 09:32 PM
Suzuka Master

You're telling me that driving alone on a deserted highway with not a single car in sight is more dangerous then on a track... potentially driving with your friends - with the whole intent and purpose of beating them/their time?

There's a difference between street racing and driving fast by yourself in safe conditions.
kooty-sentinel,
I had written you a tort-full response about personal responsibility and so on. However, I’m editing that out because I don’t want to make this a personal attack. I’m just offering you a safe alternative, (Like I said, I’m no angel myself).

Last edited by Mr Marco; 08-22-2010 at 09:41 PM.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:46 AM
Waaaaaaaaaa.

kooty-sentinel,
I had written you a tort-full response about personal responsibility and so on. However, I’m editing that out because I don’t want to make this a personal attack. I’m just offering you a safe alternative, (Like I said, I’m no angel myself).
No, no. I didn't take it as a personal attack. I'm actually quite interested to see how you view the track as a safe alternative.

I really honestly don't see wearing a helmet on a track making it safer than driving as the single car on a deserted highway.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:58 AM
COTM Coordinator

No, no. I didn't take it as a personal attack. I'm actually quite interested to see how you view the track as a safe alternative.

I really honestly don't see wearing a helmet on a track making it safer than driving as the single car on a deserted highway.
A track always has an ambulance/fire team on hand in the event of a fire or crash.
A track has a clean smooth road to drive on to ensure that you are driving in a safe condition.
A track is an enclosed course to prevent wild animals or debris from crossing your path.

BTW, a helmet will sure as hell protect you in the event of a crash. Have you seen what a head does when it hits the side glass or windshield? If not, Ill tell you that it doesnt do to well.

Have you seen what happens when you blow a tire at speeds above 100mph caused by a rock on the road, uneven pavement, potholes...... I guarantee you wont find those things on a track.

Have you seen what happens to a car when you hit a coyote at speeds above 100mph? Not only is your car fucked, but your initial reaction is going to be to swerve or brake, either of which could throw you into an uncontrollable situation.

Do you need more????
Old 08-23-2010, 10:21 AM
Waaaaaaaaaa.

Originally Posted by MurkyRiversTL
A track always has an ambulance/fire team on hand in the event of a fire or crash.
A track has a clean smooth road to drive on to ensure that you are driving in a safe condition.
A track is an enclosed course to prevent wild animals or debris from crossing your path.

BTW, a helmet will sure as hell protect you in the event of a crash. Have you seen what a head does when it hits the side glass or windshield? If not, Ill tell you that it doesnt do to well.

Have you seen what happens when you blow a tire at speeds above 100mph caused by a rock on the road, uneven pavement, potholes...... I guarantee you wont find those things on a track.

Have you seen what happens to a car when you hit a coyote at speeds above 100mph? Not only is your car fucked, but your initial reaction is going to be to swerve or brake, either of which could throw you into an uncontrollable situation.

Do you need more????
- Regarding the roads - the road I push the speed barrier on is closed for over half the year during winter months, and it's not a trucking route so the road conditions are absolutely amazing. I'm not the only one that goes out there for this reason.
- Once you get into the open, neither myself nor anyone I know has ever seen a animal on the road. If you take a look at this picture you'd understand that you would be able to spot one VERY early as well.

The whole point I'm trying to make here - is 'public road' doesn't always equate to 'dangerous'. There are times and places where going 10km/h above the speed limit is suicide (mid-winter going 30km/h below is suicide on the highway). I absolutely wholeheartedly agree that in most situations the track is the best place to do it. But there are places - albeit very, very few - which allow for safe high-speed driving off-track.

Speaking of track - I've always wondered if insurance coverers incidents on the track? It keeps me from pushing my car too much most of the time. Anyone comment on this?
Old 08-23-2010, 10:45 AM
COTM Coordinator

Well, you should really watch for flying fish from that pond

Actaully, that road looks better than a lot of tracks that I have seen

The main benefit of the track is the on site emergency response. That road looks like it would take an EMT an hour to find you lol.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:09 AM
Suzuka Master

- Regarding the roads - the road I push the speed barrier on is closed for over half the year during winter months, and it's not a trucking route so the road conditions are absolutely amazing. I'm not the only one that goes out there for this reason.
- Once you get into the open, neither myself nor anyone I know has ever seen a animal on the road. If you take a look at this picture you'd understand that you would be able to spot one VERY early as well.

The whole point I'm trying to make here - is 'public road' doesn't always equate to 'dangerous'. There are times and places where going 10km/h above the speed limit is suicide (mid-winter going 30km/h below is suicide on the highway). I absolutely wholeheartedly agree that in most situations the track is the best place to do it. But there are places - albeit very, very few - which allow for safe high-speed driving off-track.

Speaking of track - I've always wondered if insurance coverers incidents on the track? It keeps me from pushing my car too much most of the time. Anyone comment on this?
OK, fine, that is a better road then my first 130MPH run. It still doesn't make it right, and there is another car in the pic.

Your a good canidate for a BBK. See this thread: https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-tl-performance-parts-modifications-295/aftermarket-bbks-big-brake-kits-766621/

Yes, track time is not covered by your car insurance. I know a guy who wrecked his 911 at PIR and State Farm would not cover him even after he denied being at the track. Unfortunatly for him they sent a claim adjuster out in the field to (PIR) that documented wrecked vehicles.

Last edited by Mr Marco; 08-23-2010 at 11:18 AM.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:33 AM
Waaaaaaaaaa.

OK, fine, that is a better road then my first 130MPH run. It still doesn't make it right, and there is another car in the pic.

Your a good canidate for a BBK. See this thread: https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=766621

Yes, track time is not covered by your car insurance. I know a guy who wrecked his 911 at PIR and State Farm would not cover him even after he denied being at the track. Unfortunatly for him they sent a claim adjuster out in the field to (PIR) that documented wrecked vehicles.
No, it absolutely doesn't make it 'legal' or right. But possibly safer? Yes.
And in that picture situation I wouldn't push it... not even with a car in the car distance. I've seen too many idiots here locally who pull out to pass without seeing if there's a car in front and/or with no sense of depth perception whatsoever.

Ouch. He must have been hating his luck. I guess a minor fender bender would be alright but not a wreck. Well I'm going to keep on driving on the cautious/safer side while at track.

I've put my name down on the BBK wishlist. I'd go out and purchase a Brembo BBK in a heartbeat if they were avaliable.
Old 08-23-2010, 05:02 PM
Suzuka Master

No, it absolutely doesn't make it 'legal' or right. But possibly safer? Yes.
And in that picture situation I wouldn't push it... not even with a car in the car distance. I've seen too many idiots here locally who pull out to pass without seeing if there's a car in front and/or with no sense of depth perception whatsoever.

Ouch. He must have been hating his luck. I guess a minor fender bender would be alright but not a wreck. Well I'm going to keep on driving on the cautious/safer side while at track.

I've put my name down on the BBK wishlist. I'd go out and purchase a Brembo BBK in a heartbeat if they were avaliable.
Hey KS,
Check out this thread...The first video could be your car at Race City...

https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-tl-2009-2014-123/tl-sh-awd-track-videos-786808/

Last edited by Mr Marco; 08-23-2010 at 05:05 PM.

Quick Reply: 4G TL Speed Governor